PDA

View Full Version : Should Hibs look to build a full size indoor field at East Mains ?

GreenCastle
02-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Funds towards the team right now is a priority but should the next project at ER be a full size indoor field at East Mains ?

LancashireHibby
02-12-2010, 01:39 PM
I'd much prefer a retractable roof at ER :agree:

Barney McGrew
02-12-2010, 01:41 PM
It still wouldn't have allowed them to train this week.

The players have to be able to get to EM in the first place :cool2:

Going Inside
Whilst I agree it would be a good thing to have, it wouldn't be much use in weather like this where the players are struggling to get to EM. If I... catch your drift :thumbsup:

Saorsa
No, I'd spend money on the team, that is far more important and desperately needed IMO.

CRAZYHIBBY
02-12-2010, 01:46 PM
i thought they already had an indoor pitch???

one day maybe...
02-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Think this is something Hibs should look at if England do win the right to host the World Cup, along with looking at accommodation facilities (if this is not already in place) for our players at East Mains. Could be used as a possible training venue/base for one of the World Cup qualified teams playing in the North East, as the cities of Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesborough will most likely host games, not to far to travel for any team playing in that section. Just an idea that maybe Hibs could look into, possibly using the facilities as a travel lodge type hotel at other times to offset running costs.

Removed
02-12-2010, 01:54 PM

Helipads or snowmobiles all round would sort it :cool2:

TornadoHibby
02-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Funds towards the team right now is a priority but should the next project at ER be a full size indoor field at East Mains ?

Providing enough "appropriate" transport to get there in weather conditions such as we have right now would have to be the first investment IMO! :agree: :wink:

GreenCastle
02-12-2010, 02:05 PM
No, I'd spend money on the team, that is far more important and desperately needed IMO.

:agree:

I agree about getting there too..the difficulties.

am I imaging things or does one of the outdoor pitches have undersoil heating at East Mains ?

Am I right in saying the team haven't trained all week ? :confused:

Ritchie
02-12-2010, 02:38 PM

to be honest, its crazy they didnt build a full size pitch when they developed East Mains.

they must have knew they'd have to rely on it in bad conditions.

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Who cares about a full size pitch at East Mains?

I was bl00dy freezing at the game on Saturday, if we are going to be spending money on anything i'd like a heater built into my seat and maybe a butler supplying me with hot drinks at regular intervals.

cocopops1875
02-12-2010, 03:02 PM
the indoor pitch is tiny 7 aside at best and i wouldnt even say its as big as that somewhere between the power league and corn exchange i would guess:agree:

derekHFC
02-12-2010, 03:05 PM
am I imaging things or does one of the outdoor pitches have undersoil heating at East Mains ?

No, they dont.

to be honest, its crazy they didnt build a full size pitch when they developed East Mains.

Planning permission is the problem as the centre is built on a greenbelt site. They could only convert the existing building/barn and thats why nothing else has been built.

Keith_M
02-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Who cares about a full size pitch at East Mains?

I was bl00dy freezing at the game on Saturday, if we are going to be spending money on anything i'd like a heater built into my seat and maybe a butler supplying me with hot drinks at regular intervals.

:agree:

It's about time they put 'warehouse heaters' inside the stands in weather like that. At least you could have got warmed up by going down to the snack bars. Dunno about the other stands but the East concourse was baltic.

lapsedhibee
02-12-2010, 04:17 PM
should the next project at ER be a full size indoor field at East Mains ?
With spectator facilities including, at the very least, a singing section. :agree:

bigstu
02-12-2010, 05:49 PM
i think we should yes, they're aren't enough in scotland so it would be a worthwile investment.

Beefster
02-12-2010, 06:06 PM

Folk have been making it into Edinburgh every day this week from Tranent and Ormiston in Clios, 206s and other diddy cars but they can't make it to East Mains in proper cars? Wimps.

cocopops1875
02-12-2010, 06:07 PM
im sure hibs were involved with a planned "soccer dome" type thing if memory is right niddrie was the proposed site for this was a while back but sure it was mentioned in relation to east mains at the time of plans being drawn up

WindyMiller
02-12-2010, 06:21 PM
i think we should yes, they're aren't enough in scotland so it would be a worthwile investment.

The players haven't been able to get to EM due to the road conditions, how do you expect others to get there?

Albion Hibs
02-12-2010, 06:25 PM
No I dont think we should. I think it would cost a fortune and be a huge waste of money.

The reality is the indoor pitch should be decent enough for few training sessions, then if need be a session / two prior to any game at the weekend at Easter Road would be sufficient.

Would rather the money was spent on the pitch providing a better wage budget, increasing the wage cap, taking care of the debt that we have etc.

Cropley10
02-12-2010, 08:37 PM
I understood Hibs were looking to do this already :confused:

The indoor pitch is small, tight and with a fairly low ceiling. I've seen some high tempo sessions there, but it's certainly not ideal. Whilst the outdoor pitches - grass and astro - are excellent, East Mains is quite exposed to the prevailing winds, the impact of which, wasn't fully anticipated at the time.

A full-size, indoor pitch would cost, no doubt about that, but it would be a wonderful addition a EM for all teams not just the first team. But right now, we've a few other, more pressing priorities...

JoeTortolanoFanClub
02-12-2010, 08:47 PM
I played on FC Sheriff's 4G astroturf full-size indoor pitch recently. It was astonishingly good. See the final picture here http://fc-sheriff.com/eng/club/stadium

GreenCastle
02-12-2010, 09:00 PM
I played on FC Sheriff's 4G astroturf full-size indoor pitch recently. It was astonishingly good. See the final picture here http://fc-sheriff.com/eng/club/stadium

Very impressive :agree:

Jones28
02-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Providing enough "appropriate" transport to get there in weather conditions such as we have right now would have to be the first investment IMO! :agree: :wink:

So fleet of Rangerovers for the first big snow in years? :greengrin

A tractor with a trailor would be more effective, might toughen our boys up a wee bit anaw :hnet:

.Sean.
02-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Who are FC Sheriff? :confused:

Do they use all three stadiums for matches?

PaulSmith
02-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Hibs want to build on the land which they own behind the car park at EM, but first they need to fill the mine shafts in with concrete. I'm not sure what they have planned but the building will stop the wind tunnel effect which comes from that direction for 350 days of the year :greengrin

JoeTortolanoFanClub
02-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Who are FC Sheriff? :confused:

Do they use all three stadiums for matches?

http://www.fc-sheriff.com/eng/ Drawing 1-1 with AZ Alkmaar in the Europa League at the moment.

Yes

bigstu
02-12-2010, 11:11 PM
The players haven't been able to get to EM due to the road conditions, how do you expect others to get there?

get some gritters out & tell all the players to man up! the rest of us have made it to work & i work in the middle of the aberdeenshire countryside! the nearest we get to a gritter is one farmer driving the tractor while the other shovels grit off the back!

i see aberdeen have been using the full size indoor pitch at the aberdeen sports village this week and about 5 other SPL teams have been using the one at Toryglen.

Doubt building an indoor pitch would be cheap though.

derekHFC
03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
get some gritters out & tell all the players to man up! the rest of us have made it to work & i work in the middle of the aberdeenshire countryside! the nearest we get to a gritter is one farmer driving the tractor while the other shovels grit off the back!

i see aberdeen have been using the full size indoor pitch at the aberdeen sports village this week and about 5 other SPL teams have been using the one at Toryglen.

Doubt building an indoor pitch would be cheap though.

Toryglen was £16m for one indoor and three outdoor 3G/4G pitches.

NAE NOOKIE
03-12-2010, 10:40 AM

The whole set up there is truly impressive. I presume they have a mega wealthy owner or backing from a huge company to build stuff like that, given that they only need a capacity of 13,000 in the main stadium.

Apart from having probably the dumbest name in European football, there isn't much else that they dont appear to have gotten right.

Puts East Mains into perspective.

:cool2:

jdships
03-12-2010, 01:55 PM

Got it in one - end of :thumbsup:
How often do we actually have conditions like this , anyway ?

GreenCastle
03-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Got it in one - end of :thumbsup:
How often do we actually have conditions like this , anyway ?

This is really the whole point - increasingly more often.

Like I said in the top post the money has to go to the team right now - or at least the team has to improve...

but...

For youth teams / 1st team etc at a windy East Mains where the weather isn't always the best it has to be considered in the future.

Removed
04-12-2010, 12:41 AM
i thought they already had an indoor pitch???

It was on the STV sports centre program tonight with rankin doing squigglers. Ok for bounce game of 5s but not much more imo.

scoopyboy
04-12-2010, 09:50 AM
The players played a full scale match on the Easter Road pitch yesterday.

This is a much cheaper option than building a full scale indoor pitch, and as mentioned earlier not much point in having one if players can't get to EM.

bob12345
05-12-2010, 05:17 PM
To be honest, the priority for these facilities should be community clubs. Hibs can train just the same on a 7-a-side or 11-a-side indoor pitch, they're never going to play games on it, whereas most grassroots clubs would bite your hand off for that opportunity.

See the impact Toryglen had this weekend... http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/component/content/article/192/1042

Barney McGrew
05-12-2010, 05:37 PM
I presume they have a mega wealthy owner or backing from a huge company to build stuff like that, given that they only need a capacity of 13,000 in the main stadium.

Yep, they were set up by one of Moldova's biggest companies in 1997 and are bankrolled by them.