PDA

View Full Version : Is Colin Nish good enough to play for Hibs

Ernie Cobra
02-12-2010, 09:27 AM
In response to the idiotic poll about nish, here is a simple question, not about fans booing, not about the negative affect they / he have on the team, not an uber fan slating other fans for booing.....

SIMPLE QUESTION IS HE GOOD ENOUGH

jackhfc
02-12-2010, 09:33 AM
IMO he's nowhere near good enough for any SPL side, and you've got to think he'll be turfed out at January, certainly no longer than this season.

Jack
02-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Snow is cold :agree:

jackhfc
02-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Snow is cold :agree:

Not yellow snow...:wink:

Hibbyradge
02-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Compared to whom?

Messi? No.

Konte? Yes.

Would we prefer someone better than Colin Nish? Yes, but the same applies to every single Hibs player.

Frankly, these Colin Nish polls are ridiculous and are verging on harassment.

Leave the guy alone, ffs.

Ernie Cobra
02-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Compared to whom?

Messi? No.

Konte? Yes.

Would we prefer someone better than Colin Nish? Yes, but the same applies to every single Hibs player.

its like raaaaiiiiinnn on your wedding day - not really ironic, however!

kind of the point i was making, nobody i know thinks he is good enough, but there is a poll asking stupid questions, and making "round about" statments, thought it was best just point that out

Big Frank
Compared to whom?

Messi? No.

Konte? Yes.

:agree:

Nish rips ma knittin, most of his performances in the last year have been brutal but Hibbyradge is spot on.

We are where we are, and a lot of us need to realise this. To a man we need to get behind Hibernian.

Saorsa
Compared to whom?

Messi? No.

Konte? Yes.

Leave the guy alone, ffs.http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/phpBB3/images/smilies/police%20smiley.gif

basehibby
02-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I voted no but it's a pretty subjective question which has got to be based on where you think Hibs are/should be in the great scheme of things.

I think Nish on a good day is a very useful player - unfortunately though, right now with his confidence at an extremely low ebb, those good days are very few and far between.

But there are certain things which I'd hope to see from a player of Nish's stature playing at Centre Forward (quite apart from goals) - these are... strength on the ball, hold up play, winning headers and generally giving the centre halves a bit of stick - these are all things which relatively recent big Hibs strikers like Mixu, Killen and Brewster all exceled at. Unfortunately Nish falls woefully short most weeks in most of these departments - he just doesn't seem to be capable of using his body weight to good effect - and that's why IMHO he is not good enough to take Hibs to where I believe they should be - ie. consistently challenging for cups and european places and winning them as often as not.

NB - it should be pointed out that I voted AGAINST the booing thing (now THAT's Harrassment). I never do anything but support Colin on the pitch and always want him to do well. This is a forum though - designed for the exchange of ideas and opinions - and after 3 years of watching Nish my honest opinion is that he's not got the qualities we need from a Centre Forward to get us where we all want to be - I live in hope of being proved wrong but time is fast running out for the big feller.

johnrebus
02-12-2010, 10:01 AM

Nish rips ma knittin, most of his performances in the last year have been brutal but Hibbyradge is spot on.

We are where we are, and a lot of us need to realise this. To a man we need to get behind Hibernian.

:top marks

The media is starting to sit up and take notice of this negative stuff regarding Colin Nish.

IMHO it is putting the Hibs support in a bad light. Can you imagine what any prospective new signing would make of it all?

Not exactly something that would encourage any new player to come ER is it?

Time to give it a rest.

:boo hoo:

Baldy Foghorn
02-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Compared to whom?

Messi? No.

Konte? Yes.

Spot on Dave, sad individuals who have never played the game at any level.... This is ridiculous the amount of stick aimed at the guy.....

hibeenicol
02-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Compared to whom?

Messi? No.

Konte? Yes.

Very poor poll IMO and should be deleted.

GordonHFC
02-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Can someone please define "Hibs Class" :confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Feel a bit sorry for Nish sometimes because I could see him as part of a front two but he doesn't have what it takes to be the 1 in a 4-5-1. I would see him as a usefull option to bring on late in the game, but not as a regular first pick.

Argylehibby
02-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Compared to whom?

Messi? No.

Konte? Yes.

:top marks How the heck Hibs fans think this kind of "support" does the team any good is beyond me. I cant see Colin Calderwood sitting reading this and deciding to axe Nishy because the majority on this poll say he's not good enough.

His performances at the end of last season showed he is good enough if not consistent enough. However, maybe if he wasnt going on the park every week with boo's ringing in his ear just because he's been named in the team he might have the confidence to get back to that form.

Purehibee_MYB
02-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Only as a secondary target man

Baldy Foghorn
02-12-2010, 10:32 AM
:top marks How the heck Hibs fans think this kind of "support" does the team any good is beyond me. I cant see Colin Calderwood sitting reading this and deciding to axe Nishy because the majority on this poll say he's not good enough.

His performances at the end of last season showed he is good enough if not consistent enough. However, maybe if he wasnt going on the park every week with boo's ringing in his ear just because he's been named in the team he might have the confidence to get back to that form.

If any of Hibernian squad or officials do happen to read this, they will just see we have some complete plums among our "support"

Keith_M
02-12-2010, 10:32 AM
I think I'll start a new poll,

"Has Ernie Cobra got what it takes to start a decent thread on hibs.net". :wink:

I suppose it's all subjective, isn't it.

Is he good enough for the current team? Apparently, that's how we're only a few points above the relegation place.

Is he what CC wants for the future? I've decided to trust CC with that one, I'm sure he'll get it right. In the meantime, he's a Hibs player and will continue to receive my support at the game.

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Is Nish Good enough to play for Hibs :confused:

He already plays for Hibs so not sure what your points is :yawn:

Argylehibby
02-12-2010, 10:36 AM

The media is starting to sit up and take notice of this negative stuff regarding Colin Nish.

IMHO it is putting the Hibs support in a bad light. Can you imagine what any prospective new signing would make of it all?
Not exactly something that would encourage any new player to come ER is it?

Time to give it a rest.

:boo hoo:

It also hampers the progress of youngsters already at the club IMHO. Would you, as a manager, risk throwing someone like Lee Currie into the frey just now knowing that 1 or 2 mistakes may have the fans on his back and his ability immediately questioned?

Ringothedog
02-12-2010, 11:43 AM
24 goals in 82 appearances(18 as sub). One of the top ten all time SPL goalscorers. I would suggest that with the right service he is, and has been good enough for Hibs

Baldy Foghorn
02-12-2010, 11:59 AM
24 goals in 82 appearances(18 as sub). One of the top ten all time SPL goalscorers. I would suggest that with the right service he is, and has been good enough for Hibs

NO NO NO...... These are facts but the 24 goals have been shots by other players which all richochet of Nish's bum......

Some will never accept the guy no matter what he does

Ringothedog
02-12-2010, 12:05 PM
You are right Stevie, I have never known a season to go by when there isnt a scapegoat for all Hibs problems. It just happens to be Colin Nish just now.

He is not my favourite player but while he wears that famous green and white jersey he will get every bit of support that I can give him

Baldy Foghorn
02-12-2010, 12:06 PM
You are right Stevie, I have never known a season to go by when there isnt a scapegoat for all Hibs problems. It just happens to be Colin Nish just now.

He is not my favourite player but while he wears that famous green and white jersey he will get every bit of support that I can give him

:agree::agree::agree:

Long suffering
02-12-2010, 12:49 PM
bit of a black and white question, I for one dont think hes good enough to be playing everyweek and surely not someone you would want to rely on. But is he good enough to be in the squad? yes definitely. Also the responses do depend hugely on his current form asked at the end of last season and the poll would probable look somewhat different

JimBHibees
02-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Seems a bit of a yammish thread. Give the guy a break FFS.

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 01:20 PM

I suppose it depends on if you think 1 goal every 4 games is good enough? Seems not too bad if he's playing as a target man and creating goals for the other striker.

Love the "all time" part. Where is he in the proper all time top scorers list?

ionahibby
02-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Have folk nothing better to do than slate one of our players all the time give the guy a break ffs :grr:

blackpoolhibs
02-12-2010, 01:59 PM
He's certainly good enough for this team. :agree:

RoYO!
02-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Some 20 odd percent are either deluded, or have far too low expectations of the type of player hibs should have.

It's not enough to say 'he's the best we have' as that's irrelevant- it still doesn't make him good enough

SMAXXA
02-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I dont see what the problem is with this poll, is it any different from the CC poll when he was appointed i.e are we happy with him etc and a number of previous polls on here. This is a fans message board for people to post thier opinions and debate matters, if someone wants to ask if us Hibs fans think he is good enough in light of the stick he has taken recently then fair enough.

To be fair tho it probs is time to move on from Nish, its been done to death and im as guilty as any other. BTW did anyone see when he slipped on Saturday the 2nd half when he went to go for the ball on the edge of the box, folk went mental, I honestly felt soo sorry for the guy, wasnt an emotion I have felt re CN before :greengrin

--------
02-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Compared to whom?

Messi? No.

Konte? Yes.

My thoughts entirely, Mr Radge.

Those who post them aren't doing the team or the club any favours. At a time when we need to get behind the new manager and the team, these polls are totally counter-productive.

Good enough to play for Hibs? Well, Colin's no Joe Baker, but he isn't an Ally Scott or an Amadou Konte either. But he's an honest big bloke and he doesn't deserve the treatment some folks seem determined to hand out to him - week after week after week....

I could understand an undercover Yam posting this - after all, a wee bit of fun at the expense of the idiot fringe is always amusing. Why someone who claims to have the best interests of Hibs at heart would do so escapes me.

Ernie Cobra
02-12-2010, 03:58 PM

See previous poll regarding Nish! IRONY!!!- can somebody delete this thread can i delete it???

Nishy in my opinion isnt good enough, some people wont say that, and prefer to pontificate about fan standards etc.

He is fast becoming the scapegoat for the current situation, not becuae he is unlucky, just because he's simply brutal, offside all the time and falls on his erse alot.

Simple fact is not many players in the Hibs team are worthy of the wages they are on, or indeed my money at the gate

Ernie Cobra
02-12-2010, 04:04 PM
My thoughts entirely, Mr Radge.

Those who post them aren't doing the team or the club any favours. At a time when we need to get behind the new manager and the team, these polls are totally counter-productive.

Good enough to play for Hibs? Well, Colin's no Joe Baker, but he isn't an Ally Scott or an Amadou Konte either. But he's an honest big bloke and he doesn't deserve the treatment some folks seem determined to hand out to him - week after week after week....

I could understand an undercover Yam posting this - after all, a wee bit of fun at the expense of the idiot fringe is always amusing. Why someone who claims to have the best interests of Hibs at heart would do so escapes me.

Only a matter of time before the hes a jambo garbage came out......Am i less of a hibs fan because i dont spend half of my life on here racking up over 16000 posts.

I better nip upstairs take off both my daughters hibs jammies...."sorry girls, daddy will be busy for the next 19 months, you see i am not qualified to speak about our team unless i can do so in cyberspace"

sheesh, the poll was in response to the previous one " do you think when we boo a pplayer it is detremental to thier confidence". Never thought this would go on quite so long:taxi:taxi:taxi

Ernie Cobra
02-12-2010, 04:07 PM
If any of Hibernian squad or officials do happen to read this, they will just see we have some complete plums among our "support"

complete plums that shout and swear in the family enclosure and call it "being passionate aboot ma team"

i agree......some games its just a complete plumb fest

dunno how to do that multi quote thingy

Saorsa
02-12-2010, 04:11 PM
complete plums that shout and swear in the family enclosure and call it "being passionate aboot ma team"

dunno how to do that multi quote thingy:hilarious

If I were you I'd keep the thread, you havnae posted anything against the rules, dinnae listen tae the yam jibes. :thumbsup:

Baldy Foghorn
02-12-2010, 04:12 PM

dunno how to do that multi quote thingy

Factually incorrect but dont let that stop your slur......

--------
02-12-2010, 04:14 PM
[/B]

Only a matter of time before the hes a jambo garbage came out......Am i less of a hibs fan because i dont spend half of my life on here racking up over 16000 posts.

I better nip upstairs take off both my daughters hibs jammies...."sorry girls, daddy will be busy for the next 19 months, you see i am not qualified to speak about our team unless i can do so in cyberspace"

sheesh, the poll was in response to the previous one " do you think when we boo a pplayer it is detremental to thier confidence". Never thought this would go on quite so long:taxi:taxi:taxi

(It's over 18,000 posts, btw.)

Read what I said - I said I could understand a Yam posting a poll like this, to wind up us Hobos... But a Hibee?

All a thread like this does is give people yet another opportunity to get funny/abusive about a guy who, whether we like it or not, is one of our very limited options up front, at least until January...

That is all I'm saying.

Baldy Foghorn
02-12-2010, 04:18 PM

Read what I said - I said I could understand a Yam posting a poll like this, to wind up us Hobos... But a Hibee?

All a thread like this does is give people yet another opportunity to get funny/abusive about a guy who, whether we like it or not, is one of our very limited options up front, at least until January...

That is all I'm saying.

Spot on Doddie........

marinello59
02-12-2010, 04:49 PM

That is all I'm saying.

:agree: We all laughed when Nade became a figure of ridicule. We have done it to one of our own. :bitchy:

Removed
02-12-2010, 04:55 PM
:agree: We all laughed when Nade became a figure of ridicule. We have done it to one of our own. :bitchy:

Exactly. Some people should hang their heads in shame.

SMAXXA
02-12-2010, 05:10 PM

That is all I'm saying.

Like ive said before whats wrong with the thread, are Hibs fans not allowed to get other fans thoughts on a player, regardless of the current stick he is taken. By some peoples reconing you are not allowed to make your opinions heared at games and now on internet messageboards. Some people need to get a grip IMO im sorry but yeah I dont agree with abusing players at games or anywhere else but I will always be prepared to give my opinion on players on sites like this regardless wether its positive or negative.

If people dont agree witht the thread just dont contribute to it if its such a big deal, no?

Hermit Crab
02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Hes only not good enough because hes been made a scape goat and everyones jumped on the band wagon . Get behind the lad and watch him score the winner v Hertz on the 1st of Jan!

blackpoolhibs
02-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Like ive said before whats wrong with the thread, are Hibs fans not allowed to get other fans thoughts on a player, regardless of the current stick he is taken. By some peoples reconing you are not allowed to make your opinions heared at games and now on internet messageboards. Some people need to get a grip IMO im sorry but yeah I dont agree with abusing players at games or anywhere else but I will always be prepared to give my opinion on players on sites like this regardless wether its positive or negative.

If people dont agree witht the thread just dont contribute to it if its such a big deal, no?

IWasThere2016
02-12-2010, 10:22 PM

It's an opinion - that's all. The day those aren't allowed is the day this site dies..

silverhibee
02-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Compared to whom?

Messi? No.

Konte? Yes.

:agree: :top marks :agree:

silverhibee
02-12-2010, 10:48 PM

Yep, thats what they think.:greengrin

BroxburnHibee
02-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Compared to whom?

Messi? No.

Konte? Yes.

Can see the day soon where some of the plums round me are getting a tellin - its doin my nut in.

I'm pretty sure they've worked that out already

[/B]

Touchy eh - seems to be the standard response nowadays whenever the LTYF stuff starts

Pathetic IMO -- These so-called supporters honestly think this helps the team.

I'm not Nish's biggest fan but I definitely think he gives us an option as part of the squad so I posted YES.

Posted this before but think I'll say it again - the singing section was managing to drown out a lot of these idiots - hope they keep it up. :thumbsup:

Removed
02-12-2010, 11:20 PM

It's an opinion - that's all. The day those aren't allowed is the day this site dies..

Agree G but after folk have shared their opinions clearly and sensibly, some go and on and on about it with some posts that imo are over the top. We don't need so many threads about one player. It's actually getting a bit boring now.

KiddA
03-12-2010, 02:59 AM
NO NO NO...... These are facts but the 24 goals have been shots by other players which all richochet of Nish's bum......

Some will never accept the guy no matter what he does

Would you offer him a new contract? I know you and myself have debated Nish to death in older posts and I don't want to get into that again. Just wanted to get your thoughts if you were in CC's shoes

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2010, 07:26 AM
Yep, thats what they think.:greengrin

The feeling's mutual. :thumbsup:

hibsbollah
03-12-2010, 11:06 AM

Baldy Foghorn
03-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Would you offer him a new contract? I know you and myself have debated Nish to death in older posts and I don't want to get into that again. Just wanted to get your thoughts if you were in CC's shoes

Im not sure KiddA..... I genuinely feel sorry for him, and I like him, but he can't play the lone striker role.... He will score goals if played correctly, however his confidence must be shot to pieces, and hearing home fans booing won't help him.... I think it would be better for his career to move on and start afresh, so in answer to your question I would say no.......

proud_and_green
03-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Compared to whom?

Messi? No.

Konte? Yes.

Hear Hear!!!!

flash
03-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Is Hibs class the standard of the rest of the current team? Why isn't there a poll about a few of the other players?

Pathetic.

allezsauzee
03-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Gie it a rest eh!

How about we get behind the everybody in Hibs jersey rather than some?

Nish is clearly bereft of confidence at the moment....So some folk are booing him on the pitch and then slating him on here.......well done! that'll help!

hibee81
03-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Some 20 odd percent are either deluded, or have far too low expectations of the type of player hibs should have.

It's not enough to say 'he's the best we have' as that's irrelevant- it still doesn't make him good enough

This sort of poll really grips me, he currently plays for the hibs and therefore gets my full support, does deek this this sort of poll? No!!! when hes gash hes really gash and the same applies to nish, miller, wotherspoon, and pretty much the rest of the team, i think us hibees are some what deluded by our own expectations some times, as i said elsewhere we just cannot attract the top players (or the average players) so whoever the management team are they need to work hard to get the best out of the team, this involves building up confidence in certain players and the boo boys just break all that hard work in minutes (especially when it comes to Mr nish). I beleive if the management would play nish up top with another and got the ball in from wide areas he would more than do a job for us, but for whatever reason hibs persist on playing him as a target man when he just cannot play that role, we have the ability to deliver the ball from wide area's which is where nish excells in his movement yet very rarely gets the chance instead its long punts over the top which he has to go early for because he hasnt got the pace( hense the no. of offside decisions) or they try to play it for him to knock on when in most cases hes got a big centre half kicking lumps out of him or IF he wins the header there is nothing running on to receive the ball so he canny win.

just my opinion of course but all in all i belive played the right way nish would be very very good for us.

Dinkydoo
03-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I voted No for, not in the 1st team.

So tbh, I probably should have selected Yes :faf:

I think it's only fair to note that he was quite a bit better when he played alongside Fletcher, not world class but better than he has been of late.

He is simply not the man to play alongside Riordan up front.

Lang Toun Hibs
03-12-2010, 12:21 PM
How about we get behind everybody in a Hibs jersey rather than some?

Getting a bit of confidence back throughout the team will lead to better performances from all which will lead to better team performances......negative support will not help any one individual, the club or ourselves as supporters over time.

We have our part to play in all this and it's down to individual choice at the end of the day. We all get frustrated at times (fans and players) and it's how we react that can make the difference. Are we in this together, to support the team or are we going to try and hound out one of our own with no obvious replacement at a time when the team aren't high on confidence and aren't playing too well making it hard for any individual to shine?

And if you choose the latter, who will be the next target?

Personally, I'd like to try and do my bit to help the team rather than make it harder for them....

Ernie Cobra
03-12-2010, 12:36 PM
again i will point out the purpose of this poll/thread/discussion was to point out the ridiculous measures some will go to, and labour a point already made. Read the OP.

As for the morons questioning whether i am a hibby, Get a grip. If you dont agree with someone fair enough, but knocking your knuckles against your head and declaring " HIM MUST BE JAMBO, CAUSE HE NO AGREE WITH ME" is just so thick its only worthy of the bams from gorgie.

Nish for me is not worthy of a starting 11, as for booing him, not my style, no matter how lightweight he might be, how lost he looks at times he still plays for my club, something i bet most of us would give our right arm for, i just wish he would do it a bit better. All about opinions guys

hibeenicol
03-12-2010, 03:47 PM
again i will point out the purpose of this poll/thread/discussion was to point out the ridiculous measures some will go to, and labour a point already made. Read the OP.

As for the morons questioning whether i am a hibby, Get a grip. If you dont agree with someone fair enough, but knocking your knuckles against your head and declaring " HIM MUST BE JAMBO, CAUSE HE NO AGREE WITH ME" is just so thick its only worthy of the bams from gorgie.

Nish for me is not worthy of a starting 11, as for booing him, not my style, no matter how lightweight he might be, how lost he looks at times he still plays for my club, something i bet most of us would give our right arm for, i just wish he would do it a bit better. All about opinions guys

Now the poll that you started this one in reply too has been deleted how about deleting this sorry excuse for a thread?

KiddA
03-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Im not sure KiddA..... I genuinely feel sorry for him, and I like him, but he can't play the lone striker role.... He will score goals if played correctly, however his confidence must be shot to pieces, and hearing home fans booing won't help him.... I think it would be better for his career to move on and start afresh, so in answer to your question I would say no.......

Fair enough, I agree with you I think his time is up at Hibs and a fresh start would be good for both parties involved.

--------
03-12-2010, 06:49 PM

Exactly. Pathetic. :agree:

[/B]

Read what I posted, again, OK?

I wrote: "I could understand an undercover Yam posting this - after all, a wee bit of fun at the expense of the idiot fringe is always amusing. Why someone who claims to have the best interests of Hibs at heart would do so escapes me."

Now maybe I haven't made myself clear, or maybe I need to type more slowly, but what I posted, and what I will now repeat, is that IF you WERE an undercover Yam, I could see why you would post a poll inviting people to abuse and make fun of one of OUR players.

But since you're a Hibs supporter, with the best interests of the team supposedly at heart, I really can't work out why you did so. We all know that there are problems at ER right now - one of them is the joyless atmosphere of negativity and criticism that makes going to games a punishment rather than an enjoyment.

Now I've made myself perfectly clear TWICE on this matter - can you understand what I'm saying?

Because until you can read and understand plain English, you should be a bit more careful about calling people morons.

Hibee Daz
03-12-2010, 06:53 PM

I totally agree with your point caller, if people are happy to settle for mediocrity then by all means vote yes.

I would just like too reiterate that I back Nish and whoever else pulls on the green and white on a match day regardless of their form but, I would also like to reiterate that IMO Nish's level should not be where we set the bar at standard wise.
Yes we can only piss with the cock we've got just now, but hopefully come January we can get one that doesn't cause that burning sensation when you need to use it!

SouthamptonHibs
05-12-2010, 07:22 PM
he's not good enough for the Hibees, hopefully we get a new striker in Jan.

We shot ourselves in the foot away back in Aug when we let Stokes go to celtic without having a back up striker to sign.......the hibs way!!

matty_f
05-12-2010, 07:31 PM
he's not good enough for the Hibees, hopefully we get a new striker in Jan.

We shot ourselves in the foot away back in Aug when we let Stokes go to celtic without having a back up striker to sign.......the hibs way!!

We signed duffy before stokes went. You should probably take back the ' hibs way' statement because basically, it's pish.

SouthamptonHibs
05-12-2010, 07:45 PM
We signed duffy before stokes went. You should probably take back the ' hibs way' statement because basically, it's pish.

Disagree with you on that.....we've been selling our best players for years FACT, Was Duffy a replacement for Stokes or was that sigining already in the pipeline before stokes went....?
I thought he was there to give us an extra striker so we could have 4 (Nish, Duffy, Stokes and Deek), according to wilkepedia he signed for hibs on 30th Aug as a replacement for Stokes, i thought yogi wanted 4 strikers at hibs not 3..

brydekirk
05-12-2010, 10:02 PM
I voted no but it's a pretty subjective question which has got to be based on where you think Hibs are/should be in the great scheme of things.

I think Nish on a good day is a very useful player - unfortunately though, right now with his confidence at an extremely low ebb, those good days are very few and far between.

But there are certain things which I'd hope to see from a player of Nish's stature playing at Centre Forward (quite apart from goals) - these are... strength on the ball, hold up play, winning headers and generally giving the centre halves a bit of stick - these are all things which relatively recent big Hibs strikers like Mixu, Killen and Brewster all exceled at. Unfortunately Nish falls woefully short most weeks in most of these departments - he just doesn't seem to be capable of using his body weight to good effect - and that's why IMHO he is not good enough to take Hibs to where I believe they should be - ie. consistently challenging for cups and european places and winning them as often as not.

NB - it should be pointed out that I voted AGAINST the booing thing (now THAT's Harrassment). I never do anything but support Colin on the pitch and always want him to do well. This is a forum though - designed for the exchange of ideas and opinions - and after 3 years of watching Nish my honest opinion is that he's not got the qualities we need from a Centre Forward to get us where we all want to be - I live in hope of being proved wrong but time is fast running out for the big feller.
:agree: but, would help if he could stay on his feet, instead of his ass and be capable of jumping more than 6 inches. he has had his time as far as im concerned, you can only watch so many years of that.

RickyS
05-12-2010, 11:31 PM
:agree: but, would help if he could stay on his feet, instead of his ass and be capable of jumping more than 6 inches. he has had his time as far as im concerned, you can only watch so many years of that.

I have not read every post on this thread, so I don't know if this sort of info has been done. I decided to work out whether or not Nish is as bad as he is made out to be. I am defo not his biggest fan and would not be bad to see him go but these stats make interesting reading.
From the top of my head I listed 15 strikers we have had in the last 6yrs or so, number of games/goals and the ratio (courtesy of Wikipedia)

Games Goals Ratio

(1) Killen - 25 16 1 in 1.5
(2) Stokes 40 22 1 in 1.8
(3) Deek 123 54 1 in 2.2 (1st spell)
(4) Deek 82 31 1 in 2.6 ( 2nd spell)
(5) O'Connor 138 46 1 in 3
(6) Fletcher 156 43 1 in 3.6
(7) Nish 88 22 1 in 4
(8) Courier 13 3 1 in 4.3
(9) Deano 117 24 1 in 4.8
(10) Dalgleish 17 3 1 in 5.6
(11) McManus 109 19 1 in 5.7
(12) Sproule 71 12 1 in 5.9
(13) Benji 81 11 1 in 7.4
(14) Morrow 30 3 1 in 10
(15) Konte 27 1 1 in 27

brydekirk
06-12-2010, 10:59 AM
I have not read every post on this thread, so I don't know if this sort of info has been done. I decided to work out whether or not Nish is as bad as he is made out to be. I am defo not his biggest fan and would not be bad to see him go but these stats make interesting reading.
From the top of my head I listed 15 strikers we have had in the last 6yrs or so, number of games/goals and the ratio (courtesy of Wikipedia)

Games Goals Ratio

(7) Nish 88 22 1 in 4
(14) Morrow 30 3 1 in 10
(15) Konte 27 1 1 in 27

intresting, yes it is. still very average and if u take the five goals away that he scored in the last 2 games of last season he wouldnt make the top ten :agree:

Peevemor
06-12-2010, 11:19 AM
intresting, yes it is. still very average and if u take the five goals away that he scored in the last 2 games of last season he wouldnt make the top ten :agree:

Although it's a daft thing to do, yes he would. That would make it 1 in 5.18, though in fairness if you scrub the goals you have to do the same with the matches, making it 1 in 5.06.

It's also worth noting that 9 or 10 of the 15 listed played in better Hibs teams.

MSK
06-12-2010, 11:21 AM
intresting, yes it is. still very average and if u take the five goals away that he scored in the last 2 games of last season he wouldnt make the top ten :agree:Wtf :confused:...he still scored the goals though didnt he ...?.....deary me ..:faf:

Argylehibby
06-12-2010, 12:31 PM

Or you could say he is in 6th place and not count Deeks twice?

Baldy Foghorn
06-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Wtf :confused:...he still scored the goals though didnt he ...?.....deary me ..:faf:

Cant make this up can you, guys are even trying to deduct goals from him to make their argument sound better....

MSK
06-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Cant make this up can you, guys are even trying to deduct goals from him to make their argument sound better....Indeed ..nothing like kicking a guy when he is doon eh ..?....

Removed
06-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Cant make this up can you, guys are even trying to deduct goals from him to make their argument sound better....

:agree: Fuds

.Sean.
06-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Indeed you couldn't make it up, Nishy's lynch mob will give it their best shot however :agree:

Indeed ..nothing like kicking a guy when he is doon eh ..?....
What do you mean? Surely they epitomise 'Hibs class' no?

:rolleyes:

:agree: Fuds
Fuds indeed, just like the dickheads who boo him from the stands...

Vini1875
06-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Not if we wish to compete for European places. If we wish to simply stay in the SPL then probably.

khib70
06-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Indeed you couldn't make it up, Nishy's lynch mob will give it their best shot however :agree:

What do you mean? Surely they epitomise 'Hibs class' no?

:rolleyes:

Fuds indeed, just like the dickheads who boo him from the stands...
Or people who call fellow Hibbies "fuds" and "dickheads" for daring to disagree with them. Grow up, why don't you?

I mean, discussing the ability or lack of it of a squad member on a fan's message board.....whatever next.

For all you lot have perched imperiously on the moral high ground, you're still in the minority, and your hyperbolic moral outrage about perfectly legitimate criticism of a highly paid underachiever by those who pay his wages is the really embarrasing thing.

I don't boo, there's no point. But the abuse dished out at fellow Hibbies on here by people who climb into the pulpit to condemn those allegedly doing just that is making this board look increasingly silly.

tooley
06-12-2010, 09:40 PM
in response to the idiotic poll about nish, here is a simple question, not about fans booing, not about the negative affect they / he have on the team, not an uber fan slating other fans for booing.....

Simple question is he good enough

simple answer : No

Andy74
07-12-2010, 07:34 AM

Games Goals Ratio

(7) Nish 88 22 1 in 4
(14) Morrow 30 3 1 in 10
(15) Konte 27 1 1 in 27

Any stats for giving the ball away, failing to jump or provide a presence up front, going offside, falling over?

Stats in football are largely a nonsense for providing you with any info about what a player provides to a team.

hibsbollah
07-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Any stats for giving the ball away, failing to jump or provide a presence up front, going offside, falling over?

Stats in football are largely a nonsense for providing you with any info about what a player provides to a team.

Quite right:agree: Konte would have been much higher than 15th if his two European goals, all-round play and charisma were taken into account.

hibsbollah
07-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Or people who call fellow Hibbies "fuds" and "dickheads" for daring to disagree with them. Grow up, why don't you?

I mean, discussing the ability or lack of it of a squad member on a fan's message board.....whatever next.

For all you lot have perched imperiously on the moral high ground, you're still in the minority, and your hyperbolic moral outrage about perfectly legitimate criticism of a highly paid underachiever by those who pay his wages is the really embarrasing thing.

I don't boo, there's no point. But the abuse dished out at fellow Hibbies on here by people who climb into the pulpit to condemn those allegedly doing just that is making this board look increasingly silly.

:agree:Exactly.

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2010, 09:11 AM

Games Goals Ratio

(7) Nish 88 22 1 in 4
(14) Morrow 30 3 1 in 10
(15) Konte 27 1 1 in 27

All 5 who are above him gave the side much much more than the goals they provided, and are hugely better players than Nish.

Of the 8 players mentioned after him, Deano and Sproule were never centre forwards, and Dalgleish and McManus played a lot of games wide too. So those 4 players statistics are wrong. Could we have their statistics for when they played up front only please.

Brizo
07-12-2010, 09:29 AM
I get far more anoyed with players who have the talent and fail to use it ie Liam Miller than players like Nish or Rankin who have very limited talent and who will never be anymore than journeymen. Nish cost 100K and im guessing that pound for pound his goals return on that fee stands comparison with the goals return for many an OF or EPL multi million pound striker.

The reality is that Hibs , like most other SPL clubs , are operating within a wages / transfer budget which means that our signing targets will be journeymen or exceptionally players like Stokes who are coming to use us as a stepping stone to ressurect a career thats hid the skids. Given the financial state and poor quality of scottish fitba overall Nish probably is good enough for Hibs.

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2010, 09:39 AM
I get far more anoyed with players who have the talent and fail to use it ie Liam Miller than players like Nish or Rankin who have very limited talent and who will never be anymore than journeymen. Nish cost 100K and im guessing that pound for pound his goals return on that fee stands comparison with the goals return for many an OF or EPL multi million pound striker.

The reality is that Hibs , like most other SPL clubs , are operating within a wages / transfer budget which means that our signing targets will be journeymen or exceptionally players like Stokes who are coming to use us as a stepping stone to ressurect a career thats hid the skids. Given the financial state and poor quality of scottish fitba overall Nish probably is good enough for Hibs.

Look at it through midfielders eyes, we have the ball, look up and see Nish in space. They play the ball to him, and lo and behold the defender has nipped in before him and beaten him to the ball, or he's on his arse after the slightest of pressure from his marker.

Forwards are in the team to score goals and hold the ball up so the midfielders can come and support. Ask yourself how much of that Nish does?

marinello59
07-12-2010, 10:07 AM

Well said. That is the reality.

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Well said. That is the reality.

Yes its a reality we have to operate within our budget, we just have to get better value than we have been getting, and that means better players than Nish. They are out there, nobody will convince me otherwise.

Its up to the manager, virtually every SPL club has better target/link man forwards than Nish, and apart from the old firm and Hearts pay less than us. I'm sick of watching his ineptitude every week. We need better, should have better, and hopefully will get better when CC can manage the club his way in the summer?:pray:

marinello59
07-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Yes its a reality we have to operate within our budget, we just have to get better value than we have been getting, and that means better players than Nish. They are out there, nobody will convince me otherwise.

Its up to the manager, virtually every SPL club has better target/link man forwards than Nish, and apart from the old firm and Hearts pay less than us. I'm sick of watching his ineptitude every week. We need better, should have better, and hopefully will get better when CC can manage the club his way in the summer?:pray:

Are you forgetting that under Yogi we supposedly had the best squad outside the Old Firm? Under Calderwood we seemingly have one of the worst. :hnet:

:greengrin

hibsbollah
07-12-2010, 11:06 AM
All 5 who are above him gave the side much much more than the goals they provided, and are hugely better players than Nish.

Of the 8 players mentioned after him, Deano and Sproule were never centre forwards, and Dalgleish and McManus played a lot of games wide too. So those 4 players statistics are wrong. Could we have their statistics for when they played up front only please.

:agree:Plus subs are included in those stats, if we're talking about starts then Benji would be joint 3rd with Deek on just under a goal every two games, way above Nish.

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Are you forgetting that under Yogi we supposedly had the best squad outside the Old Firm? Under Calderwood we seemingly have one of the worst. :hnet:

:greengrin Yip i always had a smile when folk said that. In fact when you look at it, what a great job Yogi did getting that lot into europe. :stirrer:

How many pages?:wink:

Andy74
07-12-2010, 01:49 PM
:greengrin Yip i always had a smile when folk said that. In fact when you look at it, what a great job Yogi did getting that lot into europe. :stirrer:

How many pages?:wink:

Yep the guy must have been a genius to get 7 months where that lot were challenging in the top 3.

supersauzee
08-12-2010, 02:23 PM

I will 2nd that! :agree:

chipmunk hibby
09-12-2010, 05:13 PM
I think that it is time for nish to go. he was good for a year or 2 but his time has passed

p.s do you know when daryl duffy is coming back. he'll improve the teams perfornamce

SmokieJoe
10-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Its kind of sad to be honest, the man was given almost godly status towards the end of last season, the boots that shot us into Europe with 5 goals in 4 days went for 90 quid for charity. The question still remains, I believe that giving 100% week in week out gets its rewards, and for that reason, the big fella is either to lazy or to inept to be the difference up front so i'd say not good enough, thanks for yer boots last season Nishy, maybe you should have kept them?

sKipper
11-12-2010, 09:06 AM

Wouldn't even agree with that.

In the worst Hibs team in a generation he still sticks out as being bloody awful !

Sas_The_Hibby
11-12-2010, 09:39 AM

It's because they're all that much older and past their prime............. :greengrin

ForeverHibs93
11-12-2010, 10:24 AM
I don't understand people complaining about the poll/thread, its on an internet messageboard about fans opinions naturally some differ from others. although I don't agree with abuse at games, I highly doubt Nish spends his evenings looking on .net to see what people are saying about him:confused: Nothing wrong with the original post IMO, personally I don't think he's good enough but he will get my support as long as he plays for the Hibs:greengrin

sesoim
11-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Nish has been a poor player, but I feel a bit sorry for him as he has totally loist his confidence. There is no way, though, that we will keep him next season as he serves no purpose, so there is no point in anybody getting worked up about him. I doubt he will play again if CC signs a decent (fit) striker in January.

sKipper
12-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Nish has been a poor player, but I feel a bit sorry for him as he has totally loist his confidence. There is no way, though, that we will keep him next season as he serves no purpose, so there is no point in anybody getting worked up about him. I doubt he will play again if CC signs a decent (fit) striker in January.

What worries me is, 86 people actually believe he is good enough for Hibs. FFS :bitchy: