PDA

View Full Version : Greatest European player?

Ollie Reed
02-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Pele and Maradona are usually the 2 main names in regards to the best ever footballers. But who do you think would be the best ever European player?

Cruyff, Best, Beckenbauer, Puskas, Platini...list could go on.

Who is your pick?

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Of players i have actually watched then it would have to be Zindeine Zidane, the guy was just absolute class.

Although my Dad would argue to the death that Eusebio was the finest European player to grace a football field.

Barney McGrew
02-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Zidane for me, with Platini a close second.

But also a mention for the greatest Frenchman of them all, Le God :greengrin

:sauzee:

erin go bragh
02-12-2010, 08:51 AM
best [and pele agrees]

Hillsidehibby
02-12-2010, 08:52 AM
best [and pele agrees]

And so do I

we are hibs
02-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Pele and Maradona are usually the 2 main names in regards to the best ever footballers. But who do you think would be the best ever European player?

Who is your pick?

puskas

Famous Fiver
02-12-2010, 08:58 AM
I had the great privilege of seeing Puskas in the flesh in 1964 at Easter Road. Well past his best but just to see him play is one of my greatest footballing memories.

Mind you, we beat them 2 - 0 with Pat Quinn and Peter Cormack doing the business. Happy days.

The 'galloping major' will do for me.

Since90+2
02-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Zidane :agree:

Geo_1875
02-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Got to be Best (at his best). I take it that your not counting Nish as a European.

Jack
02-12-2010, 09:40 AM
I would never have Maradona in among those great names. He was a gifted footballer with a poor temperament, unreliable and a cheat. With all the crap in his life, even while still playing, he was an all round bad egg.

As for the greatest I think its always difficult to compare players from different eras. Different styles; different opponents to be compared with; different everything even as fundamental as boots and balls!

So if Pele was good then how much better would he be now with better playing surfaces, tackling not as fierce, more comfy boots and more responsive balls (:cool2:)?

Leave them all as the greatest of their time. :thumbsup:

jdships
02-12-2010, 09:41 AM

Who is your pick?

Has to be PUSKAS for me :top marks

moggie
02-12-2010, 10:03 AM
I would never have Maradona in among those great names. He was a gifted footballer with a poor temperament, unreliable and a cheat. With all the crap in his life, even while still playing, he was an all round bad egg.

As for the greatest I think its always difficult to compare players from different eras. Different styles; different opponents to be compared with; different everything even as fundamental as boots and balls!

So if Pele was good then how much better would he be now with better playing surfaces, tackling not as fierce, more comfy boots and more responsive balls (:cool2:)?

Leave them all as the greatest of their time. :thumbsup:

:top marks

.Sean.
02-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Got to be Best (at his best). I take it that your not counting Nish as a European.
Go and give the Nish digs, especially on a thread not in any way related to him, a ****ing rest eh?

bingo70
02-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Go and give the Nish digs, especially on a thread not in any way related to him, a ****ing rest eh?

think you need to chill oot a bit.....i thought that was funny!

Tortolano for me...Zidane in second

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Matthaus for me.

Sylar
02-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Andres Iniesta is making a good race at this title in the coming years - a sensational midfielder who is often overlooked because of the sheer array of talent in the Barcelona and Spain sides.

Class personified, with the honors roll to support it:

5 Spanish leagues
4 Spanish super-cups
2 Champions League victories
UEFA Super Cup
FIFA World Club
European Championship
World Cup Championship

And he's still only 26!

bingo70
02-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Matthaus for me.

Great shout, what a player he was :agree:

Maradona talks about him being his toughest opponent in his book so the boy clearly had something about him :wink:

Love the Green
02-12-2010, 10:49 AM

Who is your pick?

STANTON, could play midfield or central defence.
Tommy Docherty stated he was better than Bobby Moore at sweeper.

A Gladiator compared to todays cisses.

"keep the faith":thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Andres Iniesta is making a good race at this title in the coming years - a sensational midfielder who is often overlooked because of the sheer array of talent in the Barcelona and Spain sides.

5 Spanish leagues
4 Spanish super-cups
UEFA Super Cup
FIFA World Club
European Championship
World Cup Championship

And he's still only 26!

If it was a best double act then Xavi and Iniesta would be right up there. In fact throw in Busquets and you have a perfect trio.

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I watched Messi the other night and found him to be outstanding

he is world class and is up there with the names already mentioned.

Spike Mandela
02-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Could Dalglish break in to this side?

Zoff

Brehme
Beckenbaur
Baresi
Maldini

Best
Zidane
Platini
Cruyff

Van Basten
Muller

matty_f
Sauzee, and I won't let anyone tell me differently! :greengrin

Since90+2

5 Spanish leagues
4 Spanish super-cups
UEFA Super Cup
FIFA World Club
European Championship
World Cup Championship

And he's still only 26!

Great player.

For me though Xavi is the best player in the world at the moment , Messi may have more natural ability but for his influence on games Xavi for me is incredible.

sundo1875
02-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Gerard Pique
Andres Iniesta

.Sean.
02-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Matthaus for me.
He was once linked with the Hibs job was he not?

NOLA
02-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Zidane for me, with roberto Baggio not too far away, if only he could have taken penaltys:wink: although he was injured

hibsbollah
02-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Eusebio:agree:

Jack
02-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Raul would be in there somewhere. Now in the twilight of his career.

Sylar
02-12-2010, 12:51 PM
I watched Messi the other night and found him to be outstanding

he is world class and is up there with the names already mentioned.

Absolutely, but he's not European :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-12-2010, 12:52 PM
He was once linked with the Hibs job was he not?

He could probably still get a game.

Antifa Hibs
02-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Always amazes me that whenever someone picks a 'best player in the .....' it almost always has to be from about a hunner year ago :greengrin

So many great players from this generation its near impossible to pick one. Xavi, Ronaldo, Iniesta, then retired players such as Zidane, Bergkamp etc.

One thing I always wonder is how players like Best would cope in todays fitba when defenders (all players infact) are stronger, faster, fitter, atheletes. Begs the question though how Ronaldo would cope playing on a tattie field (Any paranoid Celtic fans, thats not a famine joke at your expense) kicking a lump of leather around...

Miller33
02-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Has to be Zidane for me, truely incredible player.

Of todays Europeans theres a few that are in a league of there own... Torres, Ronaldo, Sneijder, Xavi but for me its got to be Andres Iniesta, hes a fantastic player and his link up play is second to none, only slight critisicm of him would be his lack of goals, but still an outstanding player.

yekimevol
02-12-2010, 01:58 PM
as far as im concerned the greatest player of all time is zinedine zidane. he was know for his attacking ability going forward but what stands him out from the likes for maradonna and pele is the fact he could also pull his weight at the back and could handle the more physical aspects of the game and was the most determinded player on the pitch anytime. the only down side to zidane is his temper he lost it several times at juve and what i fear people will remember him for the 06 head but.

Greentinted
02-12-2010, 02:40 PM
All the above are fair contenders but as always, different generations are notoriously difficult to compare.
If I had to choose from players I have actually seen in the flesh (as opposed to on't telly) it would be a toss-up between the George Best I saw at ER and the Zenedine Zidane I saw at Hampden in 2002 (I would say George was better in his pomp though).
Also a mention for someone who perhaps has been overlooked because of his recent decline: Paul Gascoigne.

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 02:45 PM
All the above are fair contenders but as always, different generations are notoriously difficult to compare.
If I had to choose from players I have actually seen in the flesh (as opposed to on't telly) it would be a toss-up between the George Best I saw at ER and the Zenedine Zidane I saw at Hampden in 2002 (I would say George was better in his pomp though).
Also a mention for someone who perhaps has been overlooked because of his recent decline: Paul Gascoigne.

A good shout. One of the best players i have ever seen play at ER. For all i'm no fan of Rangers and Celtc they had some fine players in fairly recent times: Laudrup, Gascoigne, Larsson, Di Canio, Cadete etc etc add that to a few of our own: Sauzee, Latapy, Zitelli and it's sad to see how far our league has fallen in such a short time.

marinello59
02-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Always amazes me that whenever someone picks a 'best player in the .....' it almost always has to be from about a hunner year ago :greengrin

So many great players from this generation its near impossible to pick one. Xavi, Ronaldo, Iniesta, then retired players such as Zidane, Bergkamp etc.

One thing I always wonder is how players like Best would cope in todays fitba when defenders (all players infact) are stronger, faster, fitter, atheletes. Begs the question though how Ronaldo would cope playing on a tattie field (Any paranoid Celtic fans, thats not a famine joke at your expense) kicking a lump of leather around...

It's the Manchester United era George Best from me. I get what you are saying about being from a different age but wouldn't he also be a stronger, faster, fitter athlete if he was around today?

Brads Laing
02-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Sauzee, and I won't let anyone tell me differently! :greengrin
Agree with you mate

Brads Laing
02-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Smith (Gary not Gordon)

J-C
02-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Best or Cruyff

Dashing Bob S
02-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Best, Cruyff, Rankin, Platini, Zidane. Now there's a midfield.

LeithBoozy
02-12-2010, 03:22 PM
The greatest player ever and he played for the Hibs. The best bar none,great in the air. Hammer a shot with either foot, brave as a lion, he had great Intelligence in getting Into position. The best goalscorer Ive seen in my life, and I wish you all could have seen him. The one the only, JOE BAKER. :agree::thumbsup::wink::greengrin:top marks:notworthy:

Onceinawhile
02-12-2010, 06:35 PM
hate to be pedantic but Eusabio Isn't European, he is from Mozambique:agree:

Part/Time Supporter
02-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Gheorghe Hagi for me.

:agree:

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 07:01 PM
hate to be pedantic but Eusabio Isn't European, he is from Mozambique:agree:

He played for Portugal!

Are you excluding Zidane as well?

Part/Time Supporter
02-12-2010, 07:05 PM
He played for Portugal!

Zidane was born in Marseille. His mum and dad are Algerian (although they were born pre-independence).

erin-go-bragh87
02-12-2010, 07:06 PM
He played for Portugal!

Zidane is Algerian right? Edit: PTS cleared that up!

Anyway, my top three would be Zidane, Sauzee, Best. However I think Del Piero is often overlooked in things like this. Hes my favourite player of all time and to stay at one club his whole career, remaining loyal despite massive money offers, and acheive what he has is incredible nowadays.

Killiehibbie
02-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Best or CruyffJust go with the first one.

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Zidane was born in Marseille. His mum and dad are Algerian (although they were born pre-independence).

Oops! Patrick Vieira must be excluded from these lists then....:greengrin

Bishop Hibee
02-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Tough one. Surprised their's not much mention of either Gullit, Rijkaard or Van Basten? Three great players and members of one of the few club sides, the AC Milan side of 89-94, that can rival the current Barca side.

Another favourite of mine is Jurgen Klinsman. A great striker who has an excellent goal scoring record for club and country.

Personally, I'd have to go for Platini. Great poise, could pick a pass, dribble and score and decent with his head.

Have to say if Iniesta continues to play as he has been doing then he'll be in with a shout at the end of his career. Best European player currently.

jgl07
02-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Of the players I have seen personally, the best include.

Eusebio of Benfica and Portugal.

Florian Albert of Hungary was a much underrated player who never got the chance to play for a top team. I saw him destroy Brazil by playing great football.

Franz Beckenbauer was quite useful!

Denis Law is up there despite playing ofr the dark side for most of his club career.

renato
02-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Great thread :thumbsup:

Zoff

Brehme
Beckenbaur
Baresi
Maldini

Best
Zidane
Platini
Cruyff

Van Basten
Muller

Only change I would have is Matthaus for Zidane, but what a cracking team.

Bench:

Schmeichel
Cannavaro
Koeman
Charlton
Baggio
Gullit
di Stefano
Puskas
Eusebio

Tough one. Surprised their's not much mention of either Gullit, Rijkaard or Van Basten? Three great players and members of one of the few club sides, the AC Milan side of 89-94, that can rival the current Barca side.

Was having that conversation yesterday, IMO the two best club sides over the last 25 years. Milan were the best team I have seen in my lifetime, both tactically and quality of player. Baresi, Maldini, Rijkaard, Albertini, Donadoni, Savicevic, Gullit, Van Basten etc. That 4-0 against Barca was the the most complete performance I have ever seen, to comprehensively dismantle a team as good as Barca were was just incredible.

This Barca team now are almost on a par with them though and if they can win the Champions League again a couple of times in the next 3-4 years, they may be the best club side ever.

heretoday
02-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Baggio.

HibbyAndy
02-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Bergkamp.

bingo70
02-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Bergkamp.

Not the greatest player in europe but IMO probably the scorer of the greatest goal in my lifetime with that goal against newcastle when he chipped the ball and spun onto it......absolute belter, still don't really understand how he did it

IWasThere2016
02-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Of the players I've seen at their peak Baresi for me.

green.and.white
02-12-2010, 10:24 PM
My heart say Derek

My head says Zidane :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

steviecarnie
02-12-2010, 11:01 PM
surprised no mention of Ryan Giggs & Eric Cantona

jgl07
02-12-2010, 11:27 PM
surprised no mention of Ryan Giggs & Eric Cantona
I'm not surprised.

allyhibee
03-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Was having that conversation yesterday, IMO the two best club sides over the last 25 years. Milan were the best team I have seen in my lifetime, both tactically and quality of player. Baresi, Maldini, Rijkaard, Albertini, Donadoni, Savicevic, Gullit, Van Basten etc. That 4-0 against Barca was the the most complete performance I have ever seen, to comprehensively dismantle a team as good as Barca were was just incredible.

This Barca team now are almost on a par with them though and if they can win the Champions League again a couple of times in the next 3-4 years, they may be the best club side ever.

Would agree with that, Arrigo Sacchis Milan go down as the best club side for me. Although the side Ajax built in the mid 90s was pretty brilliant too.

When it comes to players in my lifetime it would be Zidane for the sheer class who gets my vote. When he was at Juventus playing just behind Del Piero and Inzhagi at their peaks that was an incredible forward line. Although from what I have watched Cruyff always seemed on another level to everyone else on the pitch.

Antifa Hibs
03-12-2010, 11:52 AM
It's the Manchester United era George Best from me. I get what you are saying about being from a different age but wouldn't he also be a stronger, faster, fitter athlete if he was around today?

Yep, true.

I mind being on the tour of Old Trafford about 5 years ago. The tour guide taken us through the players resturant 'this is where George Best and co would have their pre-match meal, often steak pie and chips' :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
03-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Hendrik Johannes Cruijff

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04/17/article-1015705-00D03BDB00000190-639_468x360.jpg

hibsbollah
03-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Gheorghe Hagi for me.

Thats actually a very good call:agree: Would have got a lot more recognition if he was from a 'bigger' football nation.

OxoHibby
03-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Zidane for me.

Performed constiistenly well at every level and went out with a bang!

discman
03-12-2010, 05:47 PM
John Charles :greengrin

since90plustwo
03-12-2010, 05:51 PM
zizou

pacorosssco
03-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Ryan Giggs. Won everything . Luckily if he had played for England may even have got bigger medals

17-35 (18 years) has been at the very top of his profession.

--------
03-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Of those I've seen, Puskas.

Had a phenomenal strike-rate and the capacity to do brilliant things without looking as if he was actually trying. He always seemed to be in just the right place; never seemed to break sweat; could make great defenders look ridiculous very very easily; and was the kingpin of two of the GREATEST football teams in the history of European and world football.

FIVE European Cup winners' medals, too. In an unbroken series.

Hibee Daz
03-12-2010, 08:19 PM

Zoff

Brehme
Beckenbaur
Baresi
Maldini

Best
Zidane
Platini
Cruyff

Van Basten
Muller

Yes I would have him ahead of Platini. Just my opinion likesy.

Hibee Daz
03-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Histro Stoichkov anybody.

I know he's not the best but I thought he was at least worth a mention!

snooky
03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Best or Cruyff

My choice too (two?) :greengrin

NGP
03-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Best for me, but aspecial mention for Maldini.

GhostofBolivar
04-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Of those I've seen, Puskas.

Had a phenomenal strike-rate and the capacity to do brilliant things without looking as if he was actually trying. He always seemed to be in just the right place; never seemed to break sweat; could make great defenders look ridiculous very very easily; and was the kingpin of two of the GREATEST football teams in the history of European and world football.

FIVE European Cup winners' medals, too. In an unbroken series.

Only guy to score hat-tricks in two European Cup finals. He didn't even need the referee to give him a soft penalty at Hampden. The best player on what is probably the best team never to win the World Cup.

Of those I've seen:

I have much love for Paolo Maldini and Franco Baresi. So good, for so long. Very, very few players - if any at all - can say they were better at defending than that pair.

Hristo Stoichkov's a good shout. Not only was he a fantastic striker, but he was a tremendous leader on the pitch too.

Marco Van Basten's the best centre-forward I've seen. Roberto Baggio just made everything seem so easy. People forget how good Ruud Gullit was - although a lot of that is down to him playing at his peak in an era before there was blanket coverage on telly. Andriy Schevchenko was a beast at Dynamo Kiev and AC Milan. Andres Iniesta and Xavi are better than anyone around at the moment. Dennis Bergkamp's the best piece of business Bruce Rioch ever did. I always felt Hagi was too inconsistent at club level to be truly great, but he was magnificent when he was on. Lothar Matthaus was a tremendous player. Ronald Koeman too.

Ryan Giggs has been so good for so long it's almost unfair, but it seems like many other players who've played in England over the past 15 years missed their chance at transcendental greatness. Eric Cantona was a fabulous player for Man U, but never for France. Same with Gianfranco Zola, Chelsea and Italy. Thierry Henry never scored in a final for either Arsenal or Barcelona. The best he could do for France was the winner in the 2003 Confederations Cup final - hardly the moment they needed him most. Gerrard's never won the league and is tainted by continual failure with England. Same with most really good English players, come to think. David Beckham at least prospered in Spain, but missed big penalties in shootouts for England. It's possible that Gary Lineker is the greatest English player of the last 25 years. But, perhaps that's too picky and doesn't really matter and these players should be named among the best.

All told, Zidane's probably the best European player of my lifetime. If he doesn't get sent off. If France win that World Cup - and they came very close - then you could legitimately talk about him being the greatest player ever. Sadly, that's not what he'll be remembered for. It's not just the awards and trophies, or the sheer, himalayan scale of his talent. It's that - up until the last half-hour of his career - he produced his best when it really mattered.

GhostofBolivar
04-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Not the greatest player in europe but IMO probably the scorer of the greatest goal in my lifetime with that goal against newcastle when he chipped the ball and spun onto it......absolute belter, still don't really understand how he did it

Better than this, I think not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UlPrWnXlqs

Eaststand
04-12-2010, 09:10 AM
There are some great players listed on this post, and the clasiest act I've ever seen was Eric Cantona...he played in a very tough league and stood out from the others by a mile. Yep had flaws just like ZZ and some of the others, (remember the karate kick at Crystal Palace!).. but what a player and unlimited talent

Oooh Ahhhh Cantona

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
04-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Histro Stoichkov anybody.

I know he's not the best but I thought he was at least worth a mention!

Good shout, him and Romario in the (First) Brca Dream Team were heros of mine - funnily enough they were both bams too - funny how often they go together!

I havent seen anybody mention Pavel Nedved - i abolutely loved him as a player, great player but worked his tail off for the team, and scored loads of goals, far more than Zidane. I remember arguing with my mate that i would have Nedved in my team before i would Zidane - much to his digust i must add!

marleyhib
04-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Lots to choose from, stand outs are:

Beckenbauer
Cruyff
Platini
Eusebio
Di Stefano
Best
Puskas
Zidane
Dalglish
Baggio
Xavi
Iniesta

I also have a soft spot for Cantona, wouldn't go down as the greatest as he never achieved much internationally - he was pure class tho.

ScottB
04-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Puskas and Di Stefano are well worth a mention.

Also, Alessandro Del Piero is probably worth a mention, perhaps also Pipo Inzaghi, both were cracking players for the 90's Juve sides!

Sammer was as good a defender as I've ever seen, alongside Maldini, Baresi and Stam.

Has anybody mentioned Peter Schemicheal? Definitely worth a mention also, keepers tend to be overlooked in these things.

bingo70
04-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Better than this, I think not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UlPrWnXlqs

that was lucky, he didnae ken what was goin on there :greengrin

bergkamps goal pisses on that yin :wink:

Greentinted
04-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Puskas and Di Stefano are well worth a mention.

Also, Alessandro Del Piero is probably worth a mention, perhaps also Pipo Inzaghi, both were cracking players for the 90's Juve sides!

Sammer was as good a defender as I've ever seen, alongside Maldini, Baresi and Stam.

Has anybody mentioned Peter Schemicheal? Definitely worth a mention also, keepers tend to be overlooked in these things.

Was just thinking the same thing. Lev Yashin, Jan Tomasevski, Gordon Banks, Sepp Maier and Dino Zoff would all be contenders.

bingo70
04-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Lots to choose from, stand outs are:

Beckenbauer
Cruyff
Platini
Eusebio
Di Stefano
Best
Puskas
Zidane
Dalglish
Baggio
Xavi
Iniesta

I also have a soft spot for Cantona, wouldn't go down as the greatest as he never achieved much internationally - he was pure class tho.

if you've got a list that big Lothar Mattheaus has shirley got to be in it

DH1875
04-12-2010, 01:26 PM
if you've got a list that big Lothar Mattheaus has shirley got to be in it

Nah, he aint even the best German player. For one you got Beckenbauer and if it wasn't for injury and the fact he was East German then Matthias Sammer would be right up there.

Anyone who's picked Del Piero can't have seen Baggio in his prime. It's not even close.

Hagi is a good shout but I'm going to have to go with.....

:not worth Luis Suarez :not worth.

renato
04-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Anyone who's picked Del Piero can't have seen Baggio in his prime. It's not even close.

I agree. I absolutely love Roby Baggio, my favourite ever player, hero. To be fair to Del Piero though, he's scored some absolute screamers, and lots of them. As a comparison....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Svt_A1CDE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eofx9bZlSvM&feature=related

:not worth

jackhfc
04-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Edgar Davids :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSM4C3pTCME&feature=related

With Ryan Giggs a close second for me :)

Baldy
04-12-2010, 09:25 PM
I was once lucky enough to have gone to the Milan Derby and Inter had players like Walter Zenga in goals, Bergomi at the back,and the Germans of Brehme, Matthaus, against an AC team which had the 3 Dutch masters .... Van Basten , Gullit and Rijkaard, along with Costacourta, Baresi and Maldini at the back not forgetting Donadoni and Ancelloti in Midfield.

a real superstar filled game,Gullit stood out in that game alog with Marco Van Basten, who I think would have been the greatest if he had not had his career so cruelly cut short,

But having seen Zidane in real life on 6 occassions, he made football look easy, and was always 2 steps ahead of everyone else, so he would get my vote

nonshinyfinish
04-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Have to say if Iniesta continues to play as he has been doing then he'll be in with a shout at the end of his career. Best European player currently.

Don't get me wrong, I am utterly enamoured with the football of Iniesta, but IMO Xavi is the pick of Barca's midfield. Surely the most criminally overlooked player of his generation.

Mikeystewart
04-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Zidane was my fav but i would probably say Puskas's record gives him the edge. Though Zidane did win world cup and European championship European cup league titles etc, not sure about Puskas medals achievements compared to Zidane, would be interesting to here the stats. Did Clarence Seedorf not win the European Cup with 5 Different teams or did i just imagine that?

thebakerboy
04-12-2010, 09:44 PM
See someone also suggested the BAKERBOY but what about Gordon Smith , my old man said he was better than Stan Mathews and nobody has mentioned him . AM I JUST GETTING OLD remembering these old guys. But after monday night the current Barca team must rank as one of the best team performances ever.

LancashireHibby
04-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Entirely biased after watching him play for Bolton for a few years in the twilight of his career, but Youri Djorkaeff was amazingly the gifted. Not the best of all-time, but he's got to be pretty high up the list.

Can't knock a bit of 1990's Football Italia on Channel 4, mind. Baggio, Baresi, Maldini, Lombardo, Batistuta, even David Platt to a certain extent.

nonshinyfinish
04-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Zidane was my fav but i would probably say Puskas's record gives him the edge. Though Zidane did win world cup and European championship European cup league titles etc, not sure about Puskas medals achievements compared to Zidane, would be interesting to here the stats. Did Clarence Seedorf not win the European Cup with 5 Different teams or did i just imagine that?

Seedorf won the European Cup with Ajax, Real Madrid and AC Milan.

nonshinyfinish
04-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Entirely biased after watching him play for Bolton for a few years in the twilight of his career, but Youri Djorkaeff was amazingly the gifted. Not the best of all-time, but he's got to be pretty high up the list.

Can't knock a bit of 1990's Football Italia on Channel 4, mind. Baggio, Baresi, Maldini, Lombardo, Batistuta, even David Platt to a certain extent.

Baggio, Baresi, Maldini, aye, but the real star was James Richardson.

LancashireHibby
04-12-2010, 09:51 PM

Gazetta dello Sport with an Espresso. Class.

Mikeystewart
04-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Seedorf won the European Cup with Ajax, Real Madrid and AC Milan.

Cheers a new it was somethink like that. Think it was twice with ac milan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Cup_and_UEFA_Champions_League_win ning_players

renato
04-12-2010, 09:58 PM

Bring back James Richardson

http://denzilbf.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/james-richardson_399x273.jpg

:thumbsup:

--------
04-12-2010, 10:59 PM
http://www.ifhof.com/hof/puskas.asp

He played 612 senior club and international games from 1943 to 1966.

In those 612 games he scored 593 goals.

He won 3 European Cup winners' medals (he only joined Real after the Hungarian uprising was crushed); the World Club Championship in 1960; 5 Spanish League titles; the Spanish Cup in 1960; 5 Hungarian League Championships with Honved; and the Olympic Gold medal in 1952.

He won 84 caps for Hungary, 4 for Spain.

He was a European Cup runner-up twice with Real, a World Cup runner up once with Hungary...

Not to mention orchestrating successive 6-3 and 7-1 thumpings of Engerlund...

With Alfredo di Stefano he formed the greatest partnership in football in my lifetime. I'm fortunate enough to have the DVD of the 1960 European Cup Final, and every now and again I watch it to remind myself just how totally awesome that Real team was.

Just to make clear, Eintracht Frankfurt beat Rangers 12-4 (6-1, 6-3) on aggregate in the semi-finals, and that wasn't a bad Rangers team, actually.

Real beat Barca 6-2 (3-1, 3-1) in their semi.

The score in the Final was 7-3 to Real, and each time I watch the DVD the more convinced I become that Real could have doubled the score and more if they had been REALLY trying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU7LzHoCspU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkS3FQnaMxI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNTR3-y86Xc&feature=related

Sorry, but "the little fat chap" from Budapest beats them all, IMHO.

Shrekko
04-12-2010, 11:24 PM
A lot of great names but in my lifetime I'd say Zidane- absolute genius.

Agree also with the comments on the Xavi and Iniesta tandem- hard to believe there's ever been better. Must admit I was pretty awestruck seeing Iniesta in the flesh for Spain at Hampden recently.

The other thing I always wonder about the codgers who claims todays 'young bucks' couldnt lace the boots of guys like Puskas and Di Stefano etc., is erm...how often did they actually watch those guys in a game? There used to be about 2 games on telly a year! Not disputing their greatness by the way just wondering how the old guys can be so sure!

--------
05-12-2010, 12:09 AM

Agree also with the comments on the Xavi and Iniesta tandem- hard to believe there's ever been better. Must admit I was pretty awestruck seeing Iniesta in the flesh for Spain at Hampden recently.

The other thing I always wonder about the codgers who claims todays 'young bucks' couldnt lace the boots of guys like Puskas and Di Stefano etc., is erm...how often did they actually watch those guys in a game? There used to be about 2 games on telly a year! Not disputing their greatness by the way just wondering how the old guys can be so sure!

Puskas? Stats, man. And the considered opinion of L'Equipe - European Player of the 20th Century, voted by people who HAD seen him...

And bear in mind that those of us who frequented the local fleapit would get nice wee snippets from time to time from Pathe news... :wink:

Not knocking present-day players, Rich, but some of the nominations on this thread for "greatest European player ever" are just laughable.

I think in the end all one can say about a player is that he's outstanding in his own day. One can't really compare players from the 1950's and today, because the game is so different, the equipment has changed, the organisation and fixture-lists have changed...

Realistic suggestions for "greatest ever" must IMO include Puskas, John Charles, Johann Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Zidane, Baggio, a few others...

Criteria, again IMO, have to include character and length of career as well as skill and ability - also the impression a player leaves on the spectators has to count. And how did the player in question stand out from the players around him?

Lots of players I see on MotD every week - they're good, but I close my eyes and I can still see the wee fat chap dummying Billy Wright at Wembley, Pele trying to lob Viktor from his own half of the centre circle, Zidane's volley in the ECL Final at Hampden, Beckenbauer waltzing through the England defence in Leon with total arrogant certainty that the ball is going to end up IN THE NET...

Or even Willie Hamilton strutting his stuff against Real at ER in 65... Willie could have been a contender, if only...

But it's all opinions, and Xavi and Iniesta are not bad players at all... :wink::wink:

Shrekko
05-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Puskas? Stats, man. And the considered opinion of L'Equipe - European Player of the 20th Century, voted by people who HAD seen him...

And bear in mind that those of us who frequented the local fleapit would get nice wee snippets from time to time from Pathe news... :wink:

Not knocking present-day players, Rich, but some of the nominations on this thread for "greatest European player ever" are just laughable.

I think in the end all one can say about a player is that he's outstanding in his own day. One can't really compare players from the 1950's and today, because the game is so different, the equipment has changed, the organisation and fixture-lists have changed...

Realistic suggestions for "greatest ever" must IMO include Puskas, John Charles, Johann Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Zidane, Baggio, a few others...

Criteria, again IMO, have to include character and length of career as well as skill and ability - also the impression a player leaves on the spectators has to count. And how did the player in question stand out from the players around him?

Lots of players I see on MotD every week - they're good, but I close my eyes and I can still see the wee fat chap dummying Billy Wright at Wembley, Pele trying to lob Viktor from his own half of the centre circle, Zidane's volley in the ECL Final at Hampden, Beckenbauer waltzing through the England defence in Leon with total arrogant certainty that the ball is going to end up IN THE NET...

Or even Willie Hamilton strutting his stuff against Real at ER in 65... Willie could have been a contender, if only...

But it's all opinions, and Xavi and Iniesta are not bad players at all... :wink::wink:

Yeah, agree with all that. I've always said it's difficult/impossible to compare players of different era's. You definitely have to respect players who were generally deemed the best at any particular given time though and the names you mention were certainly universally accepted as being in the top bracket.

GhostofBolivar
05-12-2010, 12:54 AM

Puskas would play keepy-uppy with a bar of soap in he showers after a game to amuse his team-mates. I can't see Cristiano Ronaldo taking time out from doing his hair to do that.

ekhibee
05-12-2010, 03:08 AM
An interesting thread which seems to span the generations as far as who saw what. my personal choice would have been Cruyff, to me he was greatest exponent of total football that I've been fortunate enough to watch, although there are a lot of very illustrious names there,and realistically you could put most of them on a par for different reasons. I agree with one poster earlier in the thread who mentioned Sammer, who I also thought was a brilliant player in his position. puskas was too early for me,and early football coverage often disguises the true ability of some of the great players of yesteryear, so it would be unfair of me to comment on him either way. Zidane was a brilliant player, better than Cantona IMO, Gascoigne was a very good player as well, and another player that I always personally like was Guadiola, but overall Cruff for me.

renato
05-12-2010, 09:13 PM

He won 3 European Cup winners' medals (he only joined Real after the Hungarian uprising was crushed); the World Club Championship in 1960; 5 Spanish League titles; the Spanish Cup in 1960; 5 Hungarian League Championships with Honved; and the Olympic Gold medal in 1952.

He was a European Cup runner-up twice with Real, a World Cup runner up once with Hungary...

With Alfredo di Stefano he formed the greatest partnership in football in my lifetime. I'm fortunate enough to have the DVD of the 1960 European Cup Final, and every now and again I watch it to remind myself just how totally awesome that Real team was.

Just to make clear, Eintracht Frankfurt beat Rangers 12-4 (6-1, 6-3) on aggregate in the semi-finals, and that wasn't a bad Rangers team, actually.

The score in the Final was 7-3 to Real, and each time I watch the DVD the more convinced I become that Real could have doubled the score and more if they had been REALLY trying.

Wonderful Doddie, really enjoyed that footage, some player. As mentioned earlier, really hard to compare era's but I think you hit the nail on the head in that the impression a player leaves on his generation is probably a good indicator.

John Charles is also a great shout, legendary over in Italy (voted Juve's greatest ever foreigner, and they've had some special ones). Known as the Gentle Giant, he was never booked or sent off despite standing at 6 feet 2 inches and built like an ox. Equally adept at centre half or centre forward, he scored 93 goals in 155 matches for Juventus and played alongside another couple of goal machines, Boniperti and Omar Sivori.

:nerd:

FranckSuzy
05-12-2010, 09:44 PM
What about Luis Figo?

Skill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfyDi1EQjhk&feature=related)

GhostofBolivar
06-12-2010, 07:55 AM

The only bit of this I disagree with is who - exactly - I gave that DVD to, cos I'm fairly certain it wasn't you :cool2:

Other than that, I always did love the drag-back goal at Wembley. Sublime skill and one Englishman looking very, very stupid.

Ollie Reed
06-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Just being a young chappy, asked my dad some years ago on who was the best player he had ever seen.

Di Stefano.

If going by stats and records...I'd say he, Puskas and Cruyff would be right there. Would be fascinating to get a top ten.

The recent Sky Sports series 'Football's Greatest' (superb stuff, albeit only a half-hour), had some wonderful talent and the one that stuck out for me was the Puskas programme and how revered that man was/is. Made football look so easy.

whereswallace?
06-12-2010, 11:29 AM
I agree. I absolutely love Roby Baggio, my favourite ever player, hero. To be fair to Del Piero though, he's scored some absolute screamers, and lots of them. As a comparison....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Svt_A1CDE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eofx9bZlSvM&feature=related

:not worth

:top marks:notworthy:

Zazu62
06-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Always really liked shevchenko especially when he played for ac Milan

--------
06-12-2010, 04:43 PM
The only bit of this I disagree with is who - exactly - I gave that DVD to, cos I'm fairly certain it wasn't you :cool2:

Other than that, I always did love the drag-back goal at Wembley. Sublime skill and one Englishman looking very, very stupid.

I'm fairly sure you gave it to me - but I won't argue the point. It's beginning to wear out - can I have another one? :greengrin

My memory of Puskas is that he was one of TWO players who were always mentioned when the question came up of who was the very best footballer in the world - there was Puskas, and there was Di Stefano. No one else needed to apply.

This would be about 1960-61, when I had just wakened up to taking an interest in football. I still think Puskas was the better of the two, but that's a bit like trying to work out who was the best man in the Famous Five - they worked as a partnership and while both were great players, but whether Puskas needed Di Stefano more than Di Stefano needed Puskas....

That, only the Almighty really knows, and he's not telling. All I know is that together or apart, they were simply sublime.

The drag-back at Wembley is my 3 favourite international goal ever - ahead of Brazil's fourth in the 1970 World Cup Final, and Uwe Seeler's back-header to equalise against England in Leon in the same tournament.

(Though I enjoyed Seeler's loudly enough to have to leave the EU Union in Teviot Row at the run at full-time. Just ahead of 3 irate, but fortunately drunken English vet students...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6EEAwm-cE (5.00) Coleman had just opined that Seeler was obviously running out of puff in the heat and at the high altitude. :hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_3nRplehGk&feature=related Note that the pitch is far from bowling-green smooth, btw.

PS: FAO Rich - at least us auld yins have seen all the players under discussion - it's a bit more rational saying Puskas was better than Best (he was!) when you've seen them both, however briefly, than maintaining that Ryan Giggs or Wayne Rooooneeee's the best player ever when you haven't seen Puskas, Di Stefano, Beckenbauer, or Cruyff AT ALL....

Just a thought. :devil:

ekhibee
07-12-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm fairly sure you gave it to me - but I won't argue the point. It's beginning to wear out - can I have another one? :greengrin

My memory of Puskas is that he was one of TWO players who were always mentioned when the question came up of who was the very best footballer in the world - there was Puskas, and there was Di Stefano. No one else needed to apply.

This would be about 1960-61, when I had just wakened up to taking an interest in football. I still think Puskas was the better of the two, but that's a bit like trying to work out who was the best man in the Famous Five - they worked as a partnership and while both were great players, but whether Puskas needed Di Stefano more than Di Stefano needed Puskas....

That, only the Almighty really knows, and he's not telling. All I know is that together or apart, they were simply sublime.

The drag-back at Wembley is my 3 favourite international goal ever - ahead of Brazil's fourth in the 1970 World Cup Final, and Uwe Seeler's back-header to equalise against England in Leon in the same tournament.

(Though I enjoyed Seeler's loudly enough to have to leave the EU Union in Teviot Row at the run at full-time. Just ahead of 3 irate, but fortunately drunken English vet students...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6EEAwm-cE (5.00) Coleman had just opined that Seeler was obviously running out of puff in the heat and at the high altitude. :hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_3nRplehGk&feature=related Note that the pitch is far from bowling-green smooth, btw.

PS: FAO Rich - at least us auld yins have seen all the players under discussion - it's a bit more rational saying Puskas was better than Best (he was!) when you've seen them both, however briefly, than maintaining that Ryan Giggs or Wayne Rooooneeee's the best player ever when you haven't seen Puskas, Di Stefano, Beckenbauer, or Cruyff AT ALL....

Just a thought. :devil:
Always respect what you say Doddie, but it's a bit of a move from best European to best in the world. Puskas and Di Stefano were obviously, and quite rightly,contenders for the best EUROPEAN player ever, but not in my opinion, for the best in the world. Garincha must come into the reckoning if you're talking about that particular period of time, and of course there's been plenty of quite brilliant candidates since then. I would totally agree that Puskas was better than any Man U player I've seen, but as with the previous comment, it's all about opinions.

Gettin' Auld
07-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Cruyff taking a penalty that was impossible to save!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9SDG4_VBN0

Zazu62
07-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Didn't Pires and Henry try somethin similar against man city and it went em pretty tits up?

soproni1
07-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Zidane is Algerian right? Edit: PTS cleared that up!

Anyway, my top three would be Zidane, Sauzee, Best. However I think Del Piero is often overlooked in things like this. Hes my favourite player of all time and to stay at one club his whole career, remaining loyal despite massive money offers, and acheive what he has is incredible nowadays.

Agreed - my favourite too.

He could make the ball talk if he wanted to.

vanNISHtelroy
07-12-2010, 08:25 PM

Zoff

Brehme
Beckenbaur
Baresi
Maldini

Best
Zidane
Platini
Cruyff

Van Basten
Muller

Kenny or Paul? :wink:

Irish_Steve
07-12-2010, 10:44 PM
The answer is in the old saying:

Maradona good
Pele better
George Best

Says it all really

SteveHFC
07-12-2010, 10:53 PM
In my lifetime:

Ryan Giggs or Paul Scholes or Dennis Bergkamp.

--------
08-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Always respect what you say Doddie, but it's a bit of a move from best European to best in the world. Puskas and Di Stefano were obviously, and quite rightly,contenders for the best EUROPEAN player ever, but not in my opinion, for the best in the world. Garincha must come into the reckoning if you're talking about that particular period of time, and of course there's been plenty of quite brilliant candidates since then. I would totally agree that Puskas was better than any Man U player I've seen, but as with the previous comment, it's all about opinions.

In those days there really was only European football and South American football. It was also a period when finally people in this country were slowly becoming aware of great players elsewhere - Puskas in particular assisted in this process through his involvement in the two matches between Hungary and England. The shock caused by those two games can hardly be believed by people nowadays.

IIRC the Home Nations only became serious about the World Cup around the early 1960's, after the Swedish tournament in 1958 The rise of WORLD football - African and Asian in particular - seems to me to have been linked very closely to the decline of the European empires, and even now some of the African nations in particular have problems with the former imperial power hogging their best players.

The question of who was actually 'the greatest ever' is always going to be a matter of opinion. As you say, Garrincha has to be a candidate from the 1950's and 1960's, and there have been a number of other reasonable candidates since then. A lot of those names have already been mentioned in this thread.

Di Stefano was Argentinian, born in Buenos Aires, though his career really came to its peak with Real Madrid and Spain. He was one of a number of very fine players who ended up playing for the former imperial power rather than the country of their origins - Eusebio was born in Mozambique but played for Portugal, Zidane was born in Marseilles of Algerian parents and was double-qualified, and Juste Fontaine played for France but was born in Morocco.

Fontaine is another candidate for 'greatest ever European footballer' - though I wouldn't say he was. The first African-born football superstar? Possibly. Probably. 13 goals in one WC Finals tournament says something about him.

I think in the end of it, though, there never was or will be a 'greatest player of all time', either in Scottish terms, British terms, European terms, or world terms.

But I do think that there's a group of players who CAN be classed as 'the greatest players in football'. Most of the players mentioned over the course of this thread fit into that category without the slightest doubt. Among them, individual fans and followers will have their particular favourite or 'greatest ever'. No harm in this - it's football, after all. We can disagree and argue without falling out.