PDA

View Full Version : Urgent ****Hibs v St Mirren Game OFF (Confirmed)****

Hibby Bairn
01-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Or will be shortly. :agree:

Hibby Bairn
01-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Or will be shortly. :agree:

In fact all SPL games are OFF this weekend.

hibeenicol
01-12-2010, 03:57 PM
:agree:

It's on the official site

H18sry
01-12-2010, 03:57 PM
1ST Sign of madness talking too and answering yourself. :agree:

Golden Bear
01-12-2010, 04:00 PM
In fact all SPL games are OFF this weekend.

Not a bad shout given the circumstances.

I don't mean the weather - I mean our shortage of strikers.

WindyMiller
01-12-2010, 04:00 PM
:agree:

It's on the official site

But it's not on the SPL site.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Home/0,,10290,00.html

Thye first with the news!!

What a web-site!

:thumbsup:

JimBHibees
01-12-2010, 04:01 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/LatestNewsIndex/0,,10290,00.html

Green Man
01-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Good decision, it's highly unlikely travelling conditions will have improved much by the weekend, and calling it off now prevents wasted effort and expense trying to get the games on.

hibee_girl
01-12-2010, 04:03 PM
The right decision :agree:

lucky
01-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Makes sense. But a boring Saturday for us, well hopefully not as boring as last Saturday :greengrin

Removed
01-12-2010, 04:07 PM

macar says its a joke :faf:

Bishop Hibee
01-12-2010, 04:10 PM
No surprise but disappointing. Gives us another few days to get players fit though I suppose.

Www1875hfc
01-12-2010, 04:14 PM
All SPL games are off. :agree:

EskbankHibby
01-12-2010, 04:23 PM
1ST Sign of madness talking too and answering yourself. :agree:

Nope, it's Suggs coming up your front path apparently.

Old ones are the best etc etc:greengrin

Cocaine&Caviar
01-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Bugger! No games for me until Celtic at home then.

Westie1875
01-12-2010, 04:28 PM

Definitely, just walked home and the streets around ER are still a huge mess, no way they'd manage to make it safe for Sat given the forecast for more.

ginger_rice
01-12-2010, 04:29 PM
The way things are at the moment it might not be a bad idea if the snow stays until the transfer window "springs open"

I take it if transfer windows "slam shut" they must "spring open"

ginger_rice
01-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Definitely, just walked home and the streets around ER are still a huge mess, no way they'd manage to make it safe for Sat given the forecast for more.

Don't know if it's just a sign of me getting old, but can anyone explain why, in the 60's and 70's in weather like this the grounsman brushed snow off the lines, they swapped the white ball with an orange one and the crowd turned up without the police declaring the area around the ground as a disaster zone.

hibee_girl
01-12-2010, 04:35 PM

:agree: Not looking forward to the school run tomorrow!! Streets are awful around here.

Don't know if it's just a sign of me getting old, but can anyone explain why, in the 60's and 70's in weather like this the grounsman brushed snow off the lines, they swapped the white ball with an orange one and the crowd turned up without the police declaring the area around the ground as a disaster zone.

Probably because there wasn't the threat of people suing if they fell over

H18sry
01-12-2010, 04:37 PM
The way things are at the moment it might not be a bad idea if the snow stays until the transfer window "springs open"

I take it if transfer windows "slam shut" they must "spring open"

Surely the snow will prevent it swinging open :greengrin

Hibbyradge
01-12-2010, 04:38 PM

A few suggestions:

The weather this week is exceptional.

The football authorities in the 60's didn't care about its customers discomfort.

Roads weren't busy.

Players lived nearer the stadiums.

We didn't have such a litigious society.

TV cameras didn't have to get to all the games.

Hibby Bairn
01-12-2010, 04:38 PM

:agree: and John Motson and Archie MacPherson (both suitably sheepskin jacketed) live from some snow covered ground on Football Focus just confirming the match goes ahead.

ginger_rice
01-12-2010, 04:40 PM
:agree: and John Motson and Archie MacPherson (both suitably sheepskin jacketed) live from some snow covered ground on Football Focus just confirming the match goes ahead.

Nah! Arthur Montford and Bob Crampsie :greengrin

Hibee Daz
01-12-2010, 04:43 PM
What a ****ter, now I will have to take the bairns sledging instead.:xsmilesign

BEEJ
All SPL games are off. :agree:
A big SPL 'two-fingers' to grade one referees!!

:greengrin

Golden Bear
A few suggestions:

The weather this week is exceptional.

The football authorities in the 60's didn't care about its customers discomfort.

Roads weren't busy.

Players lived nearer the stadiums.

We didn't have such a litigious society.

TV cameras didn't have to get to all the games.

Addendum:-

There were far fewer moaning minnies going about.

Sir David Gray
01-12-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm in two minds about this.

On the one hand it will make for a very boring Saturday with no football but on the other hand, I hope all our games are off until the middle of January at the earliest to allow Calderwood to bring some new players in. :greengrin

In all serious, it's a good decision by the SPL, and for once they've used some common sense by announcing it so early as it gives everyone plenty of notice and those coming from afar won't waste any energy or potentially put themselves in danger by trying to get to the game, only for it to be postponed at 1 o'clock on Saturday afternoon.

The weather isn't forecast to get much better by the weekend so it's the only decision that they could possibly come to.

blackpoolhibs
01-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Its a shame, i was looking forward to the live version of Bambi on ice. :wink:

matty_f
01-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Can we not just phone round europe and get some weather from there?

ginger_rice
01-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Can we not just phone round europe and get some weather from there?

Who's Hibernians Malta playing on Saturday?

Hibbyradge
01-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Its a shame, i was looking forward to the live version of Bambi on ice. :wink:

:tee hee:

:rudolph

hibbybrian
01-12-2010, 05:03 PM

maybe it's a sign of you not being that old :greengrin

in season 1962-63 Hibs only played 1 match between 29th December and 6th March due to the weather conditions - even playing 2 and sometimes 3 games a week, the season finally finished on 18th May that year :wink:

ginger_rice
01-12-2010, 05:08 PM

in season 1962-63 Hibs only played 1 match between 29th December and 6th March due to the weather conditions - even playing 2 and sometimes 3 games a week, the season finally finished on 18th May that year :wink:

I vaguely remember that winter, made the current snow seem like an indian summer.

CapitalHibs
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM

Remember that well, Brian!

Now that's what you call a postponement:greengrin

ginger_rice
01-12-2010, 05:15 PM

Tell you what that might not be a bad thing our seasons normally over just after Christmas :greengrin

hibbybrian
01-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Tell you what that might not be a bad thing our seasons normally over just after Christmas :greengrin

only if we're on a good run :greengrin

H18sry
01-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Who's Hibernians Malta playing on Saturday?

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=126664780728125&index=1 :wink:

jackhfc
01-12-2010, 05:27 PM
This is ALL Neil Lennons fault :grr::greengrin

Iggy Pope
01-12-2010, 05:32 PM

Have a look at 62 - 63 season and how many fixtures we played between say, December and end February. I don't know the answer but I know it is next to **** all.

Didn't brush that snow away too quickly :wink:

Edit -ah FFS. Read the whole thread.....

Saorsa
01-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Boooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ray_
01-12-2010, 05:41 PM

There was that famous photo of Johnny Graham & The Motherwell player going for the ball, playing in the conditions you mentioned. The game would have been around 69/70 season. I mentioned famous photo, it was famous because the rare event you got full colour page photo's of Hibs players in the shoot & goal mags.

I remember the match being poor & the result being 1-1, can't remember the scorer, but most likely Joe McBride.

marinello59
01-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Sheep v Huns in the Fifites. The plummy toned commentary is superb.:greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGwM4oXgNEM

hibbybrian
01-12-2010, 06:03 PM
There was that famous photo of Johnny Graham & The Motherwell player going for the ball, playing in the conditions you mentioned. The game would have been around 69/70 season. I mentioned famous photo, it was famous because the rare event you got full colour page photo's of Hibs players in the shoot & goal mags.

I remember the match being poor & the result being 1-1, can't remember the scorer, but most likely Joe McBride.

that would be this pic

Johnny Graham scored in the 1-1 draw on 29th November 1969 :wink:

I remember being at Tannadeechie when Peter Marinello scored the only goal of the game in similar conditions two weeks earlier :greengrin

Ray_
01-12-2010, 06:15 PM
that would be this pic

Johnny Graham scored in the 1-1 draw on 29th November 1969 :wink:

I remember being at Tannadeechie when Peter Marinello scored the only goal of the game in similar conditions two weeks earlier :greengrin

:greengrinYeah I remember that one, but I'm sure there is another one, which is in colour and I think the "Well" player is Goldrick or something like that, may be wrong though, thanks for the scorer. I remember Johnny Grahams debut, signed from Falkirk that afternoon & scored two against Airdrie that evening, 3-1 win, bet Joe McBride got the other that night then, although I'm not sure on that one.:thumbsup:

Ray_
01-12-2010, 06:21 PM
that would be this pic

I was at the game about a month before that, at Ibrox, when Peter got two & most definitely, Joe McBride, got another & we won 3-1 to put us top, with us having already won at Darkheid & Tynie. Not a drop of snow in sight on that Saturday afternoon.

lapsedhibee
01-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Can't quite see from the footage whether the players are wearing furry boots. :dunno:

hibbybrian
01-12-2010, 06:45 PM
:greengrinYeah I remember that one, but I'm sure there is another one, which is in colour and I think the "Well" player is Goldrick or something like that, may be wrong though, thanks for the scorer. I remember Johnny Grahams debut, signed from Falkirk that afternoon & scored two against Airdrie that evening, 3-1 win, bet Joe McBride got the other that night then, although I'm not sure on that one.:thumbsup:

Peter Cormack scored the 3rd :wink:

hibbybrian
01-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I was at the game about a month before that, at Ibrox, when Peter got two & most definitely, Joe McBride, got another & we won 3-1 to put us top, with us having already won at Darkheid & Tynie. Not a drop of snow in sight on that Saturday afternoon.

Joe did indeed score

lyonhibs
01-12-2010, 09:32 PM

That's absolutely brilliant - they are skiting about in their hobnailed boots like bairns on an ice rink.

Ray_
01-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Joe did indeed score

Where do you get those articles? Brings a tear to the eyes those do. To think we are so short in the wide area's today & in that team we had Marinello, Stevenson & Hamilton, all of them would walk in to the current Hibs line up. I'll take that back, we'd would be hard pressed to leave any of that line out, out of the team today, with the possible exception of John Grieg's nephew, not a great player & topical subject, him & Colin Grant were the first players I ever saw get the treatment from the ER faithful & I think it was John Hazell that took their place in the abuse stakes.

MB62
02-12-2010, 10:14 AM

I have the EEN Hibs Calendar at home and when I turned it over yesterday to December, the two pictures were of the Cup final win against Killie in a snow storm and an old picture of Hibs v Motherwell from the 60's or 70's in a snow bound Easter Road pitch with only the lines cleared :thumbsup:

Keith_M
02-12-2010, 10:43 AM
As the games defo off, who all fancies coming round to Colin Nish's house and booing him every time he comes out the front door?

sunshine1875
02-12-2010, 10:52 AM

For those watching in Black and White, Aberdeen were playing in their red shirts.:greengrin

Keith_M
02-12-2010, 10:56 AM
For those watching in Black and White, Aberdeen were playing in their red shirts.:greengrin

I'm glad you cleared that up!

ginger_rice
03-12-2010, 04:29 PM
, him & Colin Grant were the first players I ever saw get the treatment from the ER faithful & I think it was John Hazell that took their place in the abuse stakes.

Last time I spoke to him was a few years ago when I worked in Alloa, Johnny still spoke very fondly about his time at Hibs, so obviously the abuse didn't get to him

greenlex
03-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Brilliant:thumbsup:
Does anyone else keep getting a mental picture of Paul Whitehouse and Harry Enfield when they hear that Plummy Voice?:greengrin

Ray_
03-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Last time I spoke to him was a few years ago when I worked in Alloa, Johnny still spoke very fondly about his time at Hibs, so obviously the abuse didn't get to him

He played up front in the SC Semi against Rangers, when we won 2-0 & he played a stormer, shut up a fair few of his critics that night. The previous season, he got the first goal at Tynie, with a diving header, in what turned out to be a 2-1 win, again in the SC.

PS Nijinsky scored a cracker to win the game, the following day & all the "Sunday's" were all reporting the english clubs that were going to try and sign him.