PDA

View Full Version : Offering Jambos Lifts

Dashing Bob S
01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I was in the merc the other day, and I'd just got the temperature right and was starting to enjoy the short journey home in the snow. I spied a frozen Jambo neighbour marching home in the blizzard, looking Dens Park 86 uncomfortable. He caught sight of me and gaped hopefully, but thank goodness the lights changed and I was able to pretend I hadn't seen him and plough homewards. He was even wearing that thing round his neck.

So now I feel I should apologise for this behavioural lapse. I honestly would have reversed over him had the conditions not been so treacherous.

GreenCastle
01-12-2010, 02:35 PM
I was in the merc the other day, and I'd just got the temperature right and was starting to enjoy the short journey home in the snow. I spied a frozen Jambo neighbour marching home in the blizzard, looking Dens Park 86 uncomfortable. He caught sight of me and gaped hopefully, but thank goodness the lights changed and I was able to pretend I hadn't seen him and plough homewards. He was even wearing that thing round his neck.

So now I feel I should apologise for this behavioural lapse. I honestly would have reversed over him had the conditions not been so treacherous.

:thumbsup::greengrin

jackhfc
01-12-2010, 02:36 PM
:wink::thumbsup:

matty_f
01-12-2010, 02:36 PM

:faf:

I saw a yam getting hit by a bus while I was out in the snow earlier. I thought 'jeez, that could have been me!'

then I remembered- I can't drive a bus.

(sorry, shamefully nicked from a thread on here ages ago)

jackhfc
01-12-2010, 02:42 PM

I saw a yam getting hit by a bus while I was out in the snow earlier. I thought 'jeez, that could have been me!'

Even though you admitted you nicked it, still amused me :thumbsup:

HibbyRod
01-12-2010, 02:46 PM

:cool2: Nice one Matty! I hadn't heard that one, so, cheered me up on a miserable snowy day! Thanks. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
01-12-2010, 03:56 PM
I once met a good Hibby friend of mine, and he was in tears.

"What's wrong Metho", I asked (for that was his name).

"Aw man, likesay this bus full eh Jambos has just driven over a cliff, ken?"

"You must have been on smack at the time, surely you'd be happy aboot that, eh? Ah's eh thought that would be barry"

"No, no you dinnae git it................................................ .................................................. .............thir were two empty seats".

JimBHibees
01-12-2010, 05:07 PM

Classic. :top marks

lucky
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Its magic you know jambos and Mercs dont go

LeithBoozy
01-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Filled Rolls, LOL. :top marks

lapsedhibee
01-12-2010, 05:18 PM

I was chuckling at that until you mentioned it was stolen. Now not funny at all. Disgrace.

Hibee Daz
01-12-2010, 05:22 PM

:top marks

Hibee Daz
01-12-2010, 05:28 PM

I hope you have a garage Bob because if you don't, the ****bo bassa is liable to get up during the night and bury your merc under the snow!

ginger_rice
01-12-2010, 05:45 PM
I was chuckling at that until you mentioned it was stolen. Now not funny at all. Disgrace.

What? The bus was stolen? That's a disgrace :grr:

:greengrin:greengrin

ginger_rice
01-12-2010, 05:47 PM

Is the Merc rear wheel drive? if so you shouldn't have any problems reversing in this weather so shame on you :wink:

Bostonhibby
01-12-2010, 06:31 PM

:greengrin :confused: but I am assuming that the regret / remorse is because it was one of those unfortunate occasions where you found yourself without a puddle to drive through at the time.

Dashing Bob S
01-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Is the Merc rear wheel drive? if so you shouldn't have any problems reversing in this weather so shame on you :wink:

Yes it is, but the traffic was busily chugging along behind me and as tempting as it was reversing might have caused and accident and real people to be hurt.

It makes me think of what uses Jambos could be put to in thus inclement weather.

Bostonhibby
01-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Yes it is, but the traffic was busily chugging along behind me and as tempting as it was reversing might have caused and accident and real people to be hurt.

It makes me think of what uses Jambos could be put to in thus inclement weather.

Bullet shaped heads or really wide thick foreheads are useful for breaking ice or shovelling snow. You may have to tie the feet together before up ending them for said use but its probably worth the effort.

Windae lickers are also useful for defrosting screens.

Phil D. Rolls
01-12-2010, 06:45 PM

With their extra toe on each foot, Jambos make an excellent alternative to a snow shovel. Never leave home without a Yam in your boot.

Toaods
01-12-2010, 06:51 PM
I was driving home last year in the cement-mixer and approached a Ham pitching his way home. I duly pulled over and asked him if he wanted a lift. "That'd be great" he replied, so I shouted "jump in the back."

Dashing Bob S
01-12-2010, 06:54 PM
I suppose I was rather imagining a bleak, dystopian future where weather got worse and we moved into a new ice age. We would have to depend on the sleigh for transport, and we could train packs of Jambos to pull it along. As there are 400,000 of them we could replace them with a spring cull every year.

Phil D. Rolls
01-12-2010, 08:11 PM
In these days of global terrorism, an old Yam provides cheap and effective protection against Glasgow Airport style suicide bombers. Simply coat one in concrete. Hey Presto, security bollards at a fraction of the cost!

basehibby
01-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Continuing the dystopian theme - in a post nuclear holocaustic winter, with all vegetation dying out - at least we'd have a ready supply of 400,000 Yams to keep us going. Being a hardy root vegetable, entirely used to being kept in the dark, they could be planted en masse to produce yet further generations of Yams so numerous they could feed a grateful world - winning WW1 would pale into insignificance compared to this ultimate sacrifice!

Greentinted
01-12-2010, 08:45 PM

What an inspired name for a new 'affordable' brand of pink/burgundy leisurewear!

Hibercelona
01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
I was about to drive past a jambo on my way back home. He stuck his hand out, so i thought I would show my class and stop. I kindly said "need a lift" in which he
replied "aye". I said "I'm glad you agree, that mug is ********g awful. Then i drove off. :cool2:

Aye alright, ma coats already on! :wink:

Dashing Bob S
01-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Back in May 86, after a certain game at Dens Park, a Jambo friend looked like he needed a lift. So I said, 'cheer up, I'm sure you'll beat Aberdeen at Hampden next week!'

Forget the score but was the Scottish Cup final which Hearts win every year like they do wars, so I'm sure he was okay.

sundo1875
02-12-2010, 10:58 AM

So now I feel I should apologise for this behavioural lapse. I honestly would have reversed over him had the conditions not been so treacherous.:top marks

Dashing Bob S
02-12-2010, 02:50 PM
What an inspired name for a new 'affordable' brand of pink/burgundy leisurewear!

I had to take back a new pair of shoes the other day.

They really were DP86 uncomfortable.

Dashing Bob S
02-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Actually, I was wrong, those were the shoes that made me laugh inexplicably everytime I put them on.

But I sense that had I been a Jambo I would have found them uncomfortable.

aberhibsfc
02-12-2010, 03:06 PM
This is exactly the kind of situation the kids from Grange Hill's song should have been written for. 'Just Say No!'

If you can smell wee in your car after a few days don't say I didn't warn you.

On a serious note, the time of goodwill to all men is upon us and all that stuff. We can't control the elements but we can work with our fellow man in times of need. (Joke disclaimer) It's what seperates us from the animals aka Jambo's.

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 03:12 PM
DP 86?

Sounds like a title from my 'special' film collection.

Greentinted
02-12-2010, 03:23 PM
DP 86?

Sounds like a title from my 'special' film collection.

"Debbie does Den's Park"???

--------
02-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I suppose I was rather imagining a bleak, dystopian future where weather got worse and we moved into a new ice age. We would have to depend on the sleigh for transport, and we could train packs of Jambos to pull it along. As there are 400,000 of them we could replace them with a spring cull every year.

You could construct a very serviceable dog-sled from a couple of deep-frozen Jambo cadavers, Bob.

Tow another one behind the first, and it solves the problem of what to feed the dogs....

:turnevil:

Greentinted
02-12-2010, 05:34 PM

It's all very well promoting this now?
Where did you be when these charlatans were gifted the Tram contract?

Sergey
02-12-2010, 05:41 PM

I was preparing for a permanent, snow-based society after watching BBC News non-stop for 12 hours and reading the Guardians special pull-out supplement. I think last night I showed the first signs of actually freaking out in expectation of a 100 year winter.

Only this morning my wife went to get some fresh bread for my breakfast, she turned to me, looked deep into my eyes and said that she would always love me and that no matter what happened we would meet again. Jesus, I was worried sick when she didn't return after 10 minutes.

That's not job for a woman in this weather, I should have got a Jambo to deliver it on one of those sleighs.