PDA

View Full Version : Winter break

Owain_1987
01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
I know it's been talked about many times but we must surly have to have a winter break in Scotland, not just for the players but also for the fans who find it hard to travel in the middle of winter. I mean games are called of every season then have to be played in mid-week with smaller crowds. So the winter break would not only recharge the players for the second half of the season, it could also get clubs more money with improved attendance's in early March on a Saturday rather than a game on a Wednesday in the build up to christmas.

What are people's thoughts?

hibbymac
01-12-2010, 01:14 PM
I know it's been talked about many times but we must surly have to have a winter break in Scotland, not just for the players but also for the fans who find it hard to travel in the middle of winter. I mean games are called of every season then have to be played in mid-week with smaller crowds. So the winter break would not only recharge the players for the second half of the season, it could also get clubs more money with improved attendance's in early March on a Saturday rather than a game on a Wednesday in the build up to christmas.

What are people's thoughts?

When would you have it? games could get called off anytime between November-March.

Owain_1987
01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
When would you have it? games could get called off anytime between November-March.

I spose there is this but we could start back earlier like in Ireland so have kind of December-January off but of course the problem being if your in Europe then match fitness comes in. Not that is's a problem for Hibs :boo hoo:

Jim44
01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
The break would have to last from, say, the end of October till the end of March (too long), in order to avoid conditions like the present whch look as if they could happen any time during that period. So the timing of a short winter closure is too uncertain to determine. If anything is to be done it might be worth looking at radically changing the whole season to run from March till the November. The players wouldn't be too happy losing their summer break however.

Spudster
01-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Old Firm need their lucrative friendlies abroad in the summer months so we have to play through the winter, close thread.

Golden Bear
01-12-2010, 01:23 PM
The break would have to last from, say, the end of October till the end of March (too long), in order to avoid conditions like the present whch look as if they could happen any time during that period. So the timing of a short winter closure is too uncertain to determine. If anything is to be done it might be worth looking at radically changing the whole season to run from March till the November. The players wouldn't be too happy losing their summer break however.

Not to mention the monsoon season in July

:wink:

Sprouleflyer
01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Old Firm need their lucrative friendlies abroad in the summer months so we have to play through the winter, close thread.

They could play these friendlies in the winter months easily, especially in America and Australia, thread to remain open :wink:

Antifa Hibs
01-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Or... the clubs and SFA can get the infrastructure sorted, indoor training facilities, heated outdoor pitches, and the rest of us can stop being saps and get on with it :cool2:

I had to walk around 3 miles to work yesterday, yet dafties who stay 10 mins up the road phoned in as the car was stuck :rolleyes:

IF, we keep getting winters like this, then in 5-10 years time it will be nothing as we'll be used to it, this is all very new to us hence the caos. Canada, America, Ukraine and Russia (to name but a few) all get worse winters than this, but its been like that for them as long as they can remember, so they get on with it, are prepared for it.

It's only a bit snow FFS :cool2:

DC_Hibs
01-12-2010, 02:23 PM
There's a winter break every year in Germany which suits me as I am back in Edinburgh at christmas and new year and won't miss decent games here. There are also a few indoor tournaments here which are taken fairly seriously so its not all bad for the fans doing without games - http://www.eintracht.de/aktuell/32772/

I wouldn't be too impressed if the boxing day and new year fixtures were no more so think it would be best to have it in January after the new year game as it was last time in Jan 2001. Getting another trip to Trinidad and Tobago during the break would be nice.

marinello59
01-12-2010, 02:25 PM
I would just have us follow Irelands lead and play summer fitba. :tin hat:

NAE NOOKIE
02-12-2010, 01:24 PM
I would just have us follow Irelands lead and play summer fitba. :tin hat:

Me too.

An 80ish mile round trip drive in rain in daylight beats an 80ish mile round trip in the dark on ice and snow any time.

There are also a dozen good reasons to play in the summer compared to the winter that are good for the clubs and the fans.

If poked with a stick I will be happy to list them.

:greengrin

jgl07
02-12-2010, 02:01 PM
I spose there is this but we could start back earlier like in Ireland so have kind of December-January off but of course the problem being if your in Europe then match fitness comes in. Not that it's a problem for Hibs :boo hoo:
Ireland don't have a short winter break, they play through the summer as do Russia, Sweden, etc.

If that happens what how will the fixtures go in World Cup years and European Cup years. That is two years every four and will kill two months or more for the season in question.

The SPL winter break was in January, no-one has ever suggested a November-December shut down. Germany has a continental climate and the bad weather can be predicted with some precision. Britain has a maritime climate.

The loss of the lucrative Christmas and New Years fixtures would cripple Scottish Football.

Andy74
02-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Bizarre time to post this. If we had a break still to come it would be fixture mayhem in Spring.

Earl of Currie
02-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Ireland don't have a short winter break, they play through the summer as do Russia, Sweden, etc.

If that happens what how will the fixtures go in World Cup years and European Cup years. That is two years every four and will kill two months or more for the season in question.

The SPL winter break was in January, no-one has ever suggested a November-December shut down. Germany has a continental climate and the bad weather can be predicted with some precision. Britain has a maritime climate.

The loss of the lucrative Christmas and New Years fixtures would cripple Scottish Football.

Totally disagree. If Scotland want to get more tv revenue , then during the summer is almost one of the best times to do so as there will be less competition from other leagues. Not suggesting that we can command the sort of amounts that are paid to EPL or La Liga but if there is less competition then subscribers , interest from satellite companies , corporate advertisers advertisers and corporate hospitality would go up as a result.

Fans would be less discouraged from travelling to away games during the lighter summer months and there would be a higher likelihood of walk up fans during the brighter months.

Also , clubs would save money as they do not have to run undersoil heating and floodlighting.

Andy74
02-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Summer is for other stuff. Winter is for football.

Sas_The_Hibby
02-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Summer is for other stuff. Winter is for football.

And only on Saturdays at 3.00pm! :wink::agree: