PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine on Leith / Life With You

Hibs12thMan
01-12-2010, 10:12 AM
The club has made it quite clear that Sunshine on Leith will only be played on what they deem to be special occasions. Its got that very long instrumental bit in it too that makes the whole rendition a bit dodgy without backing so we’re normally left with half a song. :rolleyes:

The Proclaimers are ours! :not worth

So what about ‘Life With You’ as our equivalent of a midweek tea keeping ‘Sunshine on Leith’ as our Christmas Dinner? Its got some really good belty out bits too! :singing:

If you squint your eye a bit you could almost very nearly just about see its about being a Hibs supporter! :rotflmao:

The Proclaimers - Life With You

When I was a younger man
When I was a silly boy
I didn’t need a thing,
I was strong as anything,
I viewed solitude as a joy

But since I met you I’m distraught
You wandered in and now I’m caught
I never thought I would see
Someone so truly good
Some one who’s so everything I’m not

I want to spend my life with you
Don’t want to live all alone
I can’t conceive of the years left in me
Without you in our home

But what if, what if, what if what
If it’s not perfect then it’s not
But every care I’ll take
Nothing I won’t forsake
To dwell beside what you’ve got

Every time I think about you
I think I can’t live with you
I’ll tell you something
I am nothing without you

Without you in our home

Without you in our home (2x)

Songwriters: Reid, Craig Morris; Reid, Charles Stobo

PaulSmith
01-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Best Proclaimers song IMO - Life with you.

LancashireHibby
01-12-2010, 10:48 AM
The Joyful Kilmarnock Blues? Obviously only can be used for games against Killie, mind.

snooky
01-12-2010, 10:51 AM
The club has made it quite clear that Sunshine on Leith will only be played on what they deem to be special occasions. Its got that very long instrumental bit in it too that makes the whole rendition a bit dodgy without backing so we’re normally left with half a song. :rolleyes:..............

IMO, the instrumental section is the most sentimental part of the song.
Could we not just sing along with the :violin:
:singing::scarf: "Da da da da da, da da da da da......"

LancashireHibby
01-12-2010, 10:53 AM
IMO, the instrumental section is the most sentimental part of the song.
Could we not just sing along with the :violin:
:singing::scarf: "Da da da da da, da da da da da......"

Or it leaves space for a few 'Hibees Hibees' chants before the vocals start up again. Miles better than just chopping the song in half.

Hibbie_Cameron
01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Best Proclaimers song IMO - Life with you.

:top marks By a long way

GreenCastle
01-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Let's get it played at ER :agree::thumbsup:

Hibs Class
01-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Good excuse to add this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kerPRuJYWbk

Worth watching all the way through :greengrin

Removed
01-12-2010, 05:46 PM

I'm on there a few times :thumbsup:

Great gig :agree:

ginger_rice
01-12-2010, 05:52 PM
The Joyful Kilmarnock Blues? Obviously only can be used for games against Killie, mind.

:singing: "I've never been to Kilmarnock except to see the HiBees play":singing:

Actually that's the truth I've never been to Kilmarnock except to see the HiBees play. Unfortunately I don't think it would make a good football song. Pity the Craig and Charlie couldn't write one for us.

HibeeMcGinn1
01-12-2010, 06:24 PM
:singing: "I've never been to Kilmarnock except to see the HiBees play":singing:
Actually that's the truth I've never been to Kilmarnock except to see the HiBees play. Unfortunately I don't think it would make a good football song. Pity the Craig and Charlie couldn't write one for us.

"sixty miles to Kilmarnock, to see Hibernian play" :grr::grr: :greengrin

Bostonhibby
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM

:agree: We even get mentioned in the song:wink:

ginger_rice
01-12-2010, 06:39 PM
[B]

Years since I've listened to it must read the lyrics next time :embarrass:embarrass

Iggy Pope
01-12-2010, 06:45 PM
[B]

Sounds great but IIRC the line was inspired by travelling down there to see us get poked 4 - 0 in a meaningless friendly!

How about 'Cap in Hand'

I can understand why Stranraer lie so lowly
They could save a lot of points by signing Hibs' Goalie.

Mind you, the sentiment might've been true at the time but we've had a few since that they probably wouldn't fancy
:wink:

ginger_rice
01-12-2010, 06:45 PM
[B]

I’d never been to ayrshire
I hitched down one saturday
Sixty miles to kilmarnock
To see hibernian play
The day was bright and sunny
But the game I won’t relay
And there was no kilmarnock bunnet
To make me want to stay

I bow to your superior knowledge sir :greengrin

HibeeMcGinn1
01-12-2010, 07:12 PM
To see hibernian play
To make me want to stay

fair play good sir, fair play :thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
01-12-2010, 07:25 PM
To see hibernian play
To make me want to stay

Reckon it'd be bouncing when it reaches the "I don't wanna talk about it" bit :agree:

Aldo
01-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Behave yirselves....they are all excellent.

Was at Sunshine on Leith a few months ago and the cast came on and sung Life with you.

Superb....fav song Sunshine on leith...without a doubt.

snooky
01-12-2010, 08:54 PM
"Sunshine On Leith" was the bridal waltz at my daughter's wedding in 2009.
It was her choice (because she was brocht up correctly :wink:)

hibees59
01-12-2010, 11:20 PM
"Sunshine On Leith" was the bridal waltz at my daughter's wedding in 2009.
It was her choice (because she was brocht up correctly :wink:)

But was she taught how to spell correctly? :devil::devil:

NadeAteMyLunch!
01-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Wee Hibs mention in Cap in Hand too...

'I can understand why Stranraer lie so lowly, they could save a lot of points by signing Hibs goalie...'(I think?)

Unbelievably ironic if this had ever been belted out say over the last 5 or 6 yrs :duck:

Removed
02-12-2010, 12:00 AM
But was she taught how to spell correctly? :devil::devil:

:hmmm: You obviously don't read Oor Wullie or the Broons then :greengrin

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/brocht

MountcastleHibs
02-12-2010, 01:42 AM
I agree with Sunshine on Leith being kept for special occasions such as derbies or games against the Old Firm.

Life With You is a fantastic song and my favourite Proclaimers song, but is it a song to chant along to before a football match? I'd have to see it before making my mind up on that one.

I've always thought I'm On My Way would be a good one to play before matches. When you think of the celebrations at Hampden back in 07, people always recall the Sunshine on Leith mass sing along. They forget that I'm On My Way sing along too, which wasn't on the same chills down the spine level as SoL, but it was still special all the same.

Hibercelona
02-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Wee Hibs mention in Cap in Hand too...

'I can understand why Stranraer lie so lowly, they could save a lot of points by signing Hibs goalie...'(I think?)

Unbelievably ironic if this had ever been belted out say over the last 5 or 6 yrs :duck:

Thats when you know The Proclaimers are all about having a laugh. :agree: :greengrin

Removed
02-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Thats when you know The Proclaimers are all about having a laugh. :agree: :greengrin

When that song was written we actually had a good history of great goalies. All the fannies are fairly recent.

Hibercelona
02-12-2010, 09:47 AM
When that song was written we actually had a good history of great goalies. All the fannies are fairly recent.

Perhaps new lyrics are required to keep up with recent time.

"I can understand why the Hibs lie so lowly, they get no clean sheets cause they canne find a goalie...." :duck:

Jack
02-12-2010, 01:09 PM
I agree with Sunshine on Leith being kept for special occasions such as derbies or games against the Old Firm.

Life With You is a fantastic song and my favourite Proclaimers song, but is it a song to chant along to before a football match? I'd have to see it before making my mind up on that one.

I've always thought I'm On My Way would be a good one to play before matches. When you think of the celebrations at Hampden back in 07, people always recall the Sunshine on Leith mass sing along. They forget that I'm On My Way sing along too, which wasn't on the same chills down the spine level as SoL, but it was still special all the same.

Good point but I disagree it might not be a football song and I think they could / should be sung at any time, before, during or after the game. I’m a tad jealous of der hun and their Penny Arcade – naff all to do with football but they seem to be having a great time while they're belting it out.

There are a lot of Proclaimers songs that could be sung by the crowd. I'm On My Way is another good suggestion.

May I respectfully suggest we learn those two ‘I'm On My Way’ and ‘Life With You’ with a view to giving them an airing sometime soon? :greengrin

LancashireHibby
02-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Agree about when "I'm On My Way" was sung after the CIS final - play it when the teams come out like Wolves do with Hi Ho Silver Lining?

Removed
02-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Good point but I disagree it might not be a football song and I think they could / should be sung at any time, before, during or after the game. I’m a tad jealous of der hun and their Penny Arcade – naff all to do with football but they seem to be having a great time while they're belting it out.

There are a lot of Proclaimers songs that could be sung by the crowd. I'm On My Way is another good suggestion.

May I respectfully suggest we learn thosee two ‘I'm On My Way’ and ‘Life With You’ with a view to giving them an airing sometime soon? :greengrin

Bored, so googled penny arcade as I have never heard of it. Can't say after listening that I have ever heard that tune being sung by the huns :confused:

Jack
02-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Bored, so googled penny arcade as I have never heard of it. Can't say after listening that I have ever heard that tune being sung by the huns :confused:

Last 2 times they've been at ER. Maybe I recognised it because I already knew it ... and NOT because I have anything to do with der them :greengrin

Removed
02-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Last 2 times they've been at ER. Maybe I recognised it because I already knew it ... and NOT because I have anything to do with der them :greengrin

Most of their tunes are actually quite catchy :duck: but that sounded like a bit of a dirge.

Talking of the huns, they have their wee compilation of traditional songs, dambusters and token bagpipes before every game. We had something in the same vein at the time of the Teenage Kicks era. Surely someone a bit creative could come up with a new one for us?

RIP
03-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Lyrics to the 2 Proclaimers songs suggested by Jack are now up on 12thMan Facebook - along with the words to 24 Hibs songs. See the Notes tab :notworthy:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?saved&&note_id=165335370170905&id=130395583654164#!/hibs12thman

For those stuck in the snaw, off work or off school - ye can learn the words by reading and singing along on YouTube :thumbsup:

Jack
03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Lyrics to the 2 Proclaimers songs suggested by Jack are now up on 12thMan Facebook - along with the words to 24 Hibs songs. See the Notes tab :notworthy:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?saved&&note_id=165335370170905&id=130395583654164#!/hibs12thman

For those stuck in the snaw, off work or off school - ye can learn the words by reading and singing along on YouTube :thumbsup:

I cant access FB just now, I hope these lyrics are appropriately credited!

Riordans Boots
03-12-2010, 03:16 PM

A just went aww goosebumps there - I was singing at the top of my voice at that concert :agree: I love and a mean LOVE that song :thumbsup:

I used to have it as my ringtone and changed it - am changing it back pronto :thumbsup:

RIP
03-12-2010, 04:11 PM
I cant access FB just now, I hope these lyrics are appropriately credited!

Aye - it says a big :thumbsup: tae the twa speccies and their auld hippie manager who kindly gave their permission to (Hit the Road) Jack c/o Tamsons :greengrin

snooky
03-12-2010, 04:46 PM
:hmmm: You obviously don't read Oor Wullie or the Broons then :greengrin

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/brocht

He'd ocht ti hae kent whit 'brocht' meant, ye'd think. :wink: