PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Fees Paid

brog
30-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Does anyone have any definitive data on transfer fees we've paid out in last 5 years or so? We're all aware of the £15-20 million we've brought in by selling the golden generation plus the likes of Murphy, Jones & Sproule. Information on our buys is however less well known. Off the top of my head I can recall the following with my guesstimate for cost attached. I'm sure I'm missing some, any additional & more accurate data would be appreciated.
Riordan & Zemmama - £200k
Jones & Nish - £100k
Rankin - £60k
Bamba - £50k
Sproule - £5k
Maka - ??

Thanks for help.

brog
30-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Oops, my obvious omission here is Stokes but I haven't a clue as to how much we paid for him.

cocopops1875
30-11-2010, 03:47 PM
sure there was a fee for o'brian too

.Sean.
30-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Didn't we pay compensation for Donaldson?

Woody1985
30-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Is it just me or is the transfer fees we've taken in starting to be calculated using the Seville calculator?!

Woody1985
30-11-2010, 04:07 PM
I don't believe there is definitive data on the fees, you could guesstimate how much by looking at the total spending through the accounts but I can't recall which heading it comes under, I do know that it's not transfer fees paid though.

brog
30-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Is it just me or is the transfer fees we've taken in starting to be calculated using the Seville calculator?!

I don't think so.

I used commonly reported numbers for fees received which were ( to best of my knowledge only ).
Brown - £4.5mm, Fletcher - £3.5mm, Thomson - £2.2mm, Whittaker - £2mm, O'Connor - £2mm, Murphy & Stokes - £1mm, Sproule - £0.5mm, Jones - £0.35mm.
I don't think those numbers will be too far out & they total just over £17mm hence my original estimate of £15-20mm.
Re other comments, for AOB, I'm pretty sure we didn't pay anything although he no doubt trousered a nice signing on fee & we definitely didn't pay for Donaldson. You may remember ex Hibs player Billy McEwan, then York City manager getting rather excited about the fact we paid nothing.
Actually, I think we got money from Crewe for Donaldson so that's a little extra to the income pot.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-11-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't believe there is definitive data on the fees, you could guesstimate how much by looking at the total spending through the accounts but I can't recall which heading it comes under, I do know that it's not transfer fees paid though.

Sale of intangible assets however I think whilst it can apply to transfer fees it's not limited exclusively to it another way for rod to mask his wheeling and dealing ;)

Woody1985
30-11-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't think so.

I used commonly reported numbers for fees received which were ( to best of my knowledge only ).
Brown - £4.5mm, Fletcher - £3.5mm, Thomson - £2.2mm, Whittaker - £2mm, O'Connor - £2mm, Murphy & Stokes - £1mm, Sproule - £0.5mm, Jones - £0.35mm.
I don't think those numbers will be too far out & they total just over £17mm hence my original estimate of £15-20mm.
Re other comments, for AOB, I'm pretty sure we didn't pay anything although he no doubt trousered a nice signing on fee & we definitely didn't pay for Donaldson. You may remember ex Hibs player Billy McEwan, then York City manager getting rather excited about the fact we paid nothing.
Actually, I think we got money from Crewe for Donaldson so that's a little extra to the income pot.

Fair enough.

I thought the fletcher deal totalled around 3 million with the add on from his sale.

I thought o.connor was around 1.5 and murphy around .5 but the twenty million made me think of the Seville calculator.

Still, the figures look fair.

CraigK
30-11-2010, 04:33 PM
sure there was a fee for o'brian too

£200K

Source: i used to work for HBOS and saw the payment.

woodythehibee
30-11-2010, 04:34 PM
compo for Maka too i think...

jgl07
30-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Didn't we pay compensation for Donaldson?
No he was out of contract and over 23.

York thought they would get £500,000 because he was under 24 (that applies in England for compensation).

brog
30-11-2010, 04:48 PM
£200K

Thanks - makes sense as he was 22 when he joined Hibs. Mind you, I'm not sure paying anything for AOB made any kind of sense!!

Cropley10
30-11-2010, 05:52 PM
£200K

Jesus Mary and Joseph. We paid £200k for Alan O'Brien!!!

ancienthibby
30-11-2010, 05:55 PM
]Jesus Mary and Joseph. [/B] We paid £200k for Alan O'Brien!!!

What is your need to post this blasphemy??

marinello59
30-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Perhaps he means a different Jesus, Mary and Joseph from the biblical ones. :dunno:

degenerated
30-11-2010, 06:18 PM

all he said was that piece of hallibut was good enough for jehova

BroxburnHibee
30-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm just glad he didn't mention Jehovah. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNeq2Utm0nU) :greengrin

Oops!

Mibbes Aye
30-11-2010, 07:03 PM

Technically speaking, I don't think it's a blasphemy.

(This is a big IIRC....) In Catholic doctrine, to be blasphemous means to either be heretical; contemptuous of God; or involves some sort of curse on God. It's neither of those three. Any of the sects that broke away from the original church have moved the goalposts and created their own doctrine to fit their viewpoint, so I don't see how they can claim their definition is valid to anyone outside their sect. :greengrin :devil:

Back to the OP though - I'm not sure of how this is reflected in the accounts but I think any fair interpretation of bringing players in has to include the signing-on fee - it's a lump sum, even if not all at once, that had to be paid to secure a player, regardless of their wage. The problem is, much like the add-ons for sales, we rarely get a accurate sense of what those fees were.

Hiber-nation
30-11-2010, 07:15 PM

(This is a big IIRC....) In Catholic doctrine, to be blasphemous means to either be heretical; contemptuous of God; or involves some sort of curse on God. It's neither of those three. Any of the sects that broke away from the original church have moved the goalposts and created their own doctrine to fit their viewpoint, so I don't see how they can claim their definition is valid to anyone outside their sect. :greengrin :devil:

Back to the OP though - I'm not sure of how this is reflected in the accounts but I think any fair interpretation of bringing players in has to include the signing-on fee - it's a lump sum, even if not all at once, that had to be paid to secure a player, regardless of their wage. The problem is, much like the add-ons for sales, we rarely get a accurate sense of what those fees were.

Never read such pish since the calendar thread :thumbsup:

:wink:

R'Albin
30-11-2010, 07:18 PM
IIRC didn't we pay a small sum for stephens??about 50k or something..

WindyMiller
30-11-2010, 07:19 PM

I'm sure than when AOB arrived he had brand new BMW, which some "in the know" posters claimed was puchased from hie signing-on fee.

cam75
30-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Rember JC saying judge who was a better player AOB or Ivan when he left to Bristol LOL:grr:

Mibbes Aye
30-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Never read such pish since the calendar thread :thumbsup:

:wink:

Consistency is the key :greengrin

I'm sure than when AOB arrived he had brand new BMW, which some "in the know" posters claimed was puchased from hie signing-on fee.

I don't know the ins and outs but I don't doubt that the club provide a number of things to various players on signing, whether it be cars, a decent flat or house rent-free or whatever.

For a club like ours, especially a couple of years ago, but still today, any spend that goes towards getting a player, even if it's 10-20K, is a big deal.

cocopops1875
30-11-2010, 08:15 PM
also AOB if some are to be believed was on a quite impressive wage :agree:

BEEJ
30-11-2010, 08:37 PM

"You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name." (Exodus 20:7) :wink:

Back on topic, I believe we paid nominal amounts (£20k - £30k) for MAC and for Zarabi.

Mibbes Aye
30-11-2010, 09:08 PM
"You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name." (Exodus 20:7) :wink:

Back on topic, I believe we paid nominal amounts (£20k - £30k) for MAC and for Zarabi.

See my previous point - that's not Doauy-Rheims from the Vulgate.

As in matters spiritual, so in matters football - much that may have been true or accurate at one time, or at least stated as such, is later recounted incorrectly :greengrin

greenlex
30-11-2010, 09:46 PM
I am not really religious in the slightest but I reckon none of the mention are indeed the lord god so the poster is off the hook.
This will also mean you will see camels passing throught the eyes of needles IIRC. Or something

Septimus
01-12-2010, 06:05 AM

I wonder what the original church can possibly be?

Caversham Green
01-12-2010, 07:32 AM
I can give you the amounts received and paid, but can't identify the individual players involved:

2005/06 - cash received £1,554,758; paid £279,030
2006/07 - rec £6,474,302; pd £904,118
2007/08 - rec £3,029,351; pd £785,985
2008/09 - rec £2,732,124; pd £892,341
2009/10 - rec £2,999,081; pd £341,401 (includes £25,000 for Yogi)

Total received £16,789,616; total paid £3,202,875.

WindyMiller
01-12-2010, 08:47 AM
I can give you the amounts received and paid, but can't identify the individual players involved:

£3.2m! For that load of 5h1t!!

:rolleyes:

brog
01-12-2010, 10:44 AM

Thanks, that's really good info. Presumably you got this from annual a/cs so total paid will include signing on fees etc? I recognise these are of course costs to us but from those numbers I would expect our actual transfer & compensation fees paid to be in region of £1.5mm. I'm pleased my guesstimate of income of £17mm was so close but that really means other clubs must have shelled out between £20-£25mm including signing on fees to obtain the services of our players.
Of course we've used the positive balance to build our training centre & new stand but the big question is where do we go from here? The talent well has virtually run dry ( for now ) with no real immediate prospects for major fees coming in. Perhaps Wotherspoon, Hanlon, Booth, Smith & Byrne may come through but jury's out at present.
I really think we now need to speculate to accumulate. It worked in case of Stokes, spectacularly with Ivan & we turned a decent profit on Jones after 3 excellent years of service. We also cashed in on Fletcher & others by giving long term contracts with commitment to sell if right offer received. I don't think we can afford to fork out £100k on journey men any more, I'd rather we took a punt on promising players from lower divisions. Dun U have had great success with Gomis, Swanson, Conway & Grainger ( now at St J ), Livvy have sold Snodgrass, Griffiths & Dorrans & sadly the Yams did well with Templeton & Webster. We're constantly linked with young talent but, with exception of Stokes, I can't remember us buying anyone in recent years. The reality is we need regular income from transfer fees to keep us solvent & if the talent's not coming through we need to look elsewhere. Hopefully someone at ER's doing just that but unfortunately that requires a longer term strategy & a new manager every year or so works against that. I don't mean to be downbeat, I'm very happy with our new manager but we need to be looking forward on playing side as well as the structural side.

Caversham Green
01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks, that's really good info. Presumably you got this from annual a/cs so total paid will include signing on fees etc?

Yes, it's straight from the annual accounts,but it doesn't include signing-on fees - they are included in staff costs and aren't separately disclosed (see the note at the bottom of page 9 in the 2010 accounts if you have them). The amounts I've given are described as "The costs associated with the acquisition of players".

WindyMiller
01-12-2010, 12:46 PM
the Yams did well with Templeton & Webster. .

Ehhh.
Naw they didnae.

Kaiser1962
01-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks, that's really good info. Presumably you got this from annual a/cs so total paid will include signing on fees etc? I recognise these are of course costs to us but from those numbers I would expect our actual transfer & compensation fees paid to be in region of £1.5mm. I'm pleased my guesstimate of income of £17mm was so close but that really means other clubs must have shelled out between £20-£25mm including signing on fees to obtain the services of our players.
Of course we've used the positive balance to build our training centre & new stand but the big question is where do we go from here? The talent well has virtually run dry ( for now ) with no real immediate prospects for major fees coming in. Perhaps Wotherspoon, Hanlon, Booth, Smith & Byrne may come through but jury's out at present.
I really think we now need to speculate to accumulate. It worked in case of Stokes, spectacularly with Ivan & we turned a decent profit on Jones after 3 excellent years of service. We also cashed in on Fletcher & others by giving long term contracts with commitment to sell if right offer received. I don't think we can afford to fork out £100k on journey men any more, I'd rather we took a punt on promising players from lower divisions. Dun U have had great success with Gomis, Swanson, Conway & Grainger ( now at St J ), Livvy have sold Snodgrass, Griffiths & Dorrans & sadly the Yams did well with Templeton & Webster. We're constantly linked with young talent but, with exception of Stokes, I can't remember us buying anyone in recent years. The reality is we need regular income from transfer fees to keep us solvent & if the talent's not coming through we need to look elsewhere. Hopefully someone at ER's doing just that but unfortunately that requires a longer term strategy & a new manager every year or so works against that. I don't mean to be downbeat, I'm very happy with our new manager but we need to be looking forward on playing side as well as the structural side.

You will find thats not really the case. If there is no transfer fee paid then that money is often laid out in bigger signing on fees hence why some players run their contacts down. Transfer fees paid normally mean smaller signing on fees.

brog
01-12-2010, 03:48 PM
You will find thats not really the case. If there is no transfer fee paid then that money is often laid out in bigger signing on fees hence why some players run their contacts down. Transfer fees paid normally mean smaller signing on fees.

That's true to an extent but it's usually at the bottom end of the market, eg a player worth about £100,000 will run down his contract in the hope of getting most of that money for himself. I'm sure Ronaldo, Villa, Rooney etc all pocketed millions when they signed & equally I'm sure the guys we sold also did well out of it. I know there were stories re some of our players donating their fees to our youth funds, GO'C was 1st I think, but to be honest I thought that was probably a bit of a PR exercise &/or possibly tax efficient.

WindyMiller
01-12-2010, 04:29 PM
That's true to an extent but it's usually at the bottom end of the market, eg a player worth about £100,000 will run down his contract in the hope of getting most of that money for himself. I'm sure Ronaldo, Villa, Rooney etc all pocketed millions when they signed & equally I'm sure the guys we sold also did well out of it. I know there were stories re some of our players donating their fees to our youth funds, GO'C was 1st I think, but to be honest I thought that was probably a bit of a PR exercise &/or possibly tax efficient.

How much did the Hertz get for Templeton and Webster?

Kaiser1962
01-12-2010, 09:25 PM

Fair enough. But we certainly operate at the opposite end of the market from them.

And the guys we sold certainly arent in the class of those in bold.

brog
02-12-2010, 11:38 AM
How much did the Hertz get for Templeton and Webster?

Well nothing for Templeton yet because he's still playing for them ( unfortunately! ) However if he was to go on market now I'm sure his value would have increased dramatically, probably by at least 3,000%!! Webster's transfer was of course a unique situation, a legal test case in fact. Regardless Yams still got several years of good service from Webster, he became a full internationalist, & at least doubled their original outlay when he went to Wigan.
In total these 2 players cost Yams about £100,000 ( or 1 Colin Nish :wink: ). It's impossible to overstate my distaste for all things Yammish but it would be hard to deny these were both good signings.

WindyMiller
02-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Well nothing for Templeton yet because he's still playing for them ( unfortunately! ) However if he was to go on market now I'm sure his value would have increased dramatically, probably by at least 3,000%!! Webster's transfer was of course a unique situation, a legal test case in fact. Regardless Yams still got several years of good service from Webster, he became a full internationalist, & at least doubled their original outlay when he went to Wigan.
In total these 2 players cost Yams about £100,000 ( or 1 Colin Nish :wink: ). It's impossible to overstate my distaste for all things Yammish but it would be hard to deny these were both good signings.

But you stated thet "the Yams did well from Templeton and Webster", but they never. Templeton started as a boy and hasn't made a penny for them, much like Driver. I remember people on here calling McCann; McCannavaro, how stupid does that look now?

brog
03-12-2010, 10:16 AM
But you stated thet "the Yams did well from Templeton and Webster", but they never. Templeton started as a boy and hasn't made a penny for them, much like Driver. I remember people on here calling McCann; McCannavaro, how stupid does that look now?

I didn't say they did well only financially, although in Webster's case they doubled ( at least ) their outlay. They did well by buying what turned out to be 2 decent players for a small outlay. I'm sure we wouldn't mind having Templeton on our books for £30,000. If you read my note you'll see I also quoted Conway, Gomis & Swanson who remain at Dundee Utd but have more than rewarded Dundee utd's speculation by their performances. It's not only the money.