PDA

View Full Version : Can The Undersoil Heating Cope With This?

Mikey
30-11-2010, 10:09 AM
There will have been a huge amount of snow on the park and even if the heating is on it'll surely have waterlogged it.

Overnight temperatures for Thursday and Friday are forecast to be -10 and -11.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/dg/edinburgh_forecast_weather.html

And then there's the safety of the fans trying to get to the game!

Cropley10
30-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Two hopes I think Mikey - slim and none...

Gatecrasher
30-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Is this a "is the game on"'thread without those actual words :wink:

Craig_in_Prague
30-11-2010, 10:26 AM
I hope the weather worsens and there's almost no games until after xmas.

nothing to do with the fact Zouma, Duffy, Trakys, etc are on track to play by then, and the transfer window opens.... :wink:

Hibbyradge
30-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Is this a "is the game on"'thread without those actual words :wink:

That's an outrageous slur, sir! :greengrin

Anyway, I'm hoping as many games as possible are postponed until after the transfer window opens. :agree:

Hibbyradge
30-11-2010, 10:27 AM

nothing to do with the fact Zouma, Duffy, Trakys, etc are on track to play by then, and the transfer window opens.... :wink:

Spooky!

Hibby D
30-11-2010, 10:32 AM

That's an outrageous slur, sir! :greengrin

Anyway, I'm hoping as many games as possible are postponed until after the transfer window opens. :agree:

Sure the Tache & CC will be hoping the same :greengrin

Westie1875
30-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Unless they do something about the state of the roads and pavements around Easter Road stadium or we get a sudden thaw over the next few days then it ain't looking good for Sat IMO, it is much worse than the state the area was in when we got all the snow last winter.

Jack
30-11-2010, 10:42 AM
I’m not expert on the effectiveness of under soil heating but I’m sure the upgraded system at ER will be able to cope with this if its been left on.

It will be dealing with the snow as it falls so there will be no big build up, mostly melting as it lies I’d expect. Also under soil heating systems need good drainage to be built in so all in all I reckon it will be a dawdle for the system.

Has anyone a view of the pitch just now?

As others have said though the systems used by the council are much less techie and more likely to be in their beds between 12 and 5 on Saturday rather than dealing with the hazardous pavement situation around the stadium.

MB62
30-11-2010, 10:47 AM
With our super dooper new heating system and newly laid pitch and top class fully seated and enclosed stadium (with singing section :greengrin) I can see no problems with regards playing the game. The big problem will be the access to the stadium and possible travel conditions for the St. Mirren team and all their fans travelling on their supporters tandem.

I remember last year when the weather was like this, walking from Leith Walk and along Albert Street was treacherous as the pavements were just sheets of ice, even worse than what Saturday was.

Personally, I would like to see the game postponed until at least February, the 'weather' :wink: should be much better by then :greengrin

Dirkster23
30-11-2010, 10:53 AM
It might cope with the snow and low tempratures, but i'd be worried about what long term damage having it on might do to the pitch. We've finally got a great playing surface, it would be a pity for it to be ruined by having to have the undersoil heating on for days at a time.

Bristolhibby
30-11-2010, 10:54 AM
I’m not expert on the effectiveness of under soil heating but I’m sure the upgraded system at ER will be able to cope with this if its been left on.

It will be dealing with the snow as it falls so there will be no big build up, mostly melting as it lies I’d expect. Also under soil heating systems need good drainage to be built in so all in all I reckon it will be a dawdle for the system.

Has anyone a view of the pitch just now?

As others have said though the systems used by the council are much less techie and more likely to be in their beds between 12 and 5 on Saturday rather than dealing with the hazardous pavement situation around the stadium.

Why dont Hibs get a few guys spreading salt on the pavements round the stadium.

Head the cooncil off.

J

stubru59
30-11-2010, 11:06 AM
The day's when just getting the pitch playable are long gone. Safety of fans (walking and driving) is taken into consideration.

At this rate you'd have to say most of the games this weekend will be off.

green&left
30-11-2010, 11:11 AM

Head the cooncil off.

J

If Easter Road is half as bad as Drylaw it'll take a hell of a lot more than a few guys and some salt to clear the paths :greengrin
Talking 5-6 inches thick in some places, and its still coming down (ableit, very lightly).

DC_Hibs
30-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Do they not clear the pitch of snow first - nearer the time of the game - then put the heating on to thaw it.

No sense having it on constantly to melt the snow immediately which could as has been said result in a waterlogged pitched and of course higher heating costs for Rodders.

bawheid
30-11-2010, 11:13 AM
It might cope with the snow and low tempratures, but i'd be worried about what long term damage having it on might do to the pitch. We've finally got a great playing surface, it would be a pity for it to be ruined by having to have the undersoil heating on for days at a time.

Agree with you here Dirkster. I'd rather the pitch was allowed to thaw naturally rather than battering it with the undersoil heating for a week.

leithsansiro
30-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Being honest, you'd really have to doubt that any games will be on. Attendances will be massively down, and the clubs will have this in the back of their minds when they consult with the SPL.

Hmmm, I wonder how much RP is shelling out to leave his undersoil heating on. It's costing me a bloody fortune to keep my heaters on. I suspect The Tasche has concocted some deal with energy suppliers....

Sir David Gray
30-11-2010, 11:17 AM
If the weather in Edinburgh is anything like the weather in Falkirk, and it stays that way until the weekend, there is absolutely no chance that the game will be played on Saturday.

The pitch might be playable but the St Mirren fans and players will find it almost impossible to travel from Paisley to Edinburgh and with the M8 currently experiencing tailbacks of around 20 miles from Hermiston Gait to Newhouse in North Lanarkshire, if that doesn't improve by Saturday, the Police would call it off if Hibs or the SPL didn't.

The BBC is currently forecasting nighttime temperatures of -5 and -6 for Leith on Thursday and Friday and if that happens, a postponement is inevitable.

JimBHibees
30-11-2010, 11:29 AM
I think the game will be on. There doesnt appear to be more significant snow forecast which will allow main routes to be cleared properly before Saturday. Sure it will be cold however pavements etc should have plenty of time to be cleared.

Steve20
30-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I think the game will be on. There doesnt appear to be more significant snow forecast which will allow main routes to be cleared properly before Saturday. Sure it will be cold however pavements etc should have plenty of time to be cleared.

I am sure there is snow forecast for almost the rest of this week, going into next week at least.

Sir David Gray
30-11-2010, 12:01 PM
I am sure there is snow forecast for almost the rest of this week, going into next week at least.

There is heavy snow forecast in the Edinburgh area later today and into tomorrow as well.

greenlex
30-11-2010, 12:04 PM
High time for a winter break. Any suggestions when it should be?

flash
30-11-2010, 12:10 PM
To the clear disappointment of several girls blouses on here the game will almost certainly be on.

Baldy Foghorn
30-11-2010, 12:14 PM
To the clear disappointment of several girls blouses on here the game will almost certainly be on.

:greengrin

I certainly hope that the game is going ahead, cant live without my weekly fix.........

Peevemor
30-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Do they not clear the pitch of snow first - nearer the time of the game - then put the heating on to thaw it.

No sense having it on constantly to melt the snow immediately which could as has been said result in a waterlogged pitched and of course higher heating costs for Rodders.

I don't know if it's still the case, but they used to leave the snow on the pitch as long as possible as it insulates the turf/soil and stops it freezing. Then the day before the match as much snow as possible is cleared with the rest dealt with by the undersoil heating and drainage.

Sir David Gray
30-11-2010, 12:21 PM

I think this weather is a fine example of why a winter break in Scotland would be a waste of time.

You would never know when to take the break. Up until now, you would think that November would be fine for playing football because we generally don't get really bad weather until January and February. We can't take a four month break from playing football, unless we cut the number of games that we play.

With the way things are now, we could have a break in January and February and have all the pitches in a suitable condition throughout that time.

We don't have a set month(s) in this country where you can give a cast-iron guarantee that we will get our bad weather.

Peevemor
30-11-2010, 12:28 PM

If we had it on a Monday, then it wouldn't interfere with the fixtures. :agree:

Jamesie
30-11-2010, 12:46 PM
The BBC is currently forecasting nighttime temperatures of -5 and -6 for Leith on Thursday and Friday and if that happens, a postponement is inevitable.

Not necessarily - it was as cold as that not long before kick off in the New Year Derby on 3 January this year but the game still went ahead, much to my surprise - only after a sterling effort from Hibs to get the area around the stadium cleared:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGPH/2010/1/3/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Mind you, the Jamboids were only crossing the city for that one - as others have alluded to, the fact St Mirren will be travelling from Paisley may make things a bit different.

Wembley67
30-11-2010, 12:57 PM
As already mentioned if the undersoil heating gets left on big time it will completely and utterely ruin the pitch, look at the state of the Aberdeen pitch after last winter.

Jack
30-11-2010, 01:29 PM

Head the cooncil off.

J

I thought of this when I did the earlier bit. :agree:

1. It’s the councils responsibility. Tight fisted Hibs :rolleyes: will say why should we make arrangements and pay for it and they're right.
2. The council will say its not a priority, despite the footfall around ER probably being a lot higher than other areas that will be dealt with.
3. If Hibs did take the initiative ‘to help out’ you can be assured it would be expected and in time demanded by the council for ever more.
4. If Hibs were seen to take temporary responsibility and someone did injure themselves, where would the responsibility lie then?
5. Even if Hibs did go ahead you know damn well some jobsworth from the council would fine Hibs for littering! :grr:

NadeAteMyLunch!
30-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm looking at the pitch as I type this and there is not a single drop of snow on it :agree:. Certainly wont be an issue with that on Sat but as others say, the roads leading into the stadium aint great.

Hibernia Na Eir
30-11-2010, 01:52 PM

It is a Jambo run Council after all :agree:

LeithBoozy
30-11-2010, 01:56 PM
I had a look in at ER when they were building the new East. At the side of the South stand there were four huge sand piles. When I said to the watchman about them useing so much sand for the East, he Informed me that it was all for under the pitch. The drainage must be great. :wink:

Hibbyradge
30-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Minus 11° is forecast for Edinburgh on Friday night, rising to the positively balmy height of minus 3° during Saturday.

Leith is meant to be a bit warmer though, -6 and -1.

Met office. (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/dg/edinburgh_forecast_weather.html)

col02
30-11-2010, 02:32 PM
I am sure there will be snow covers put on the pitch overnight and removed during the day when the groundstaff are at work tending to the pitch. As for the approaching pathways wear proper footwear and wrap up warm and there will be no problems at all.

Hibbyradge
30-11-2010, 02:39 PM
As for the approaching pathways wear proper footwear and wrap up warm and there will be no problems at all.

Thanks, Mum. :greengrin

James70
30-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Never mind the undersoil heating, what about the underseat heating! :greengrin

Hibbyradge
30-11-2010, 02:43 PM
The decision to postpone a game in these circumstances rests with the police.

Will they think it's safe for 11000 folk to be slipping and sliding around in sub zero temperatures?

If they allowed the game to go ahead and folk atarted getting injured or if someone fell in front of a car, they'd be blamed.

I want it postponed anyway. Too cold and too many crap players. :wink:

HenryMonk
30-11-2010, 03:16 PM

yeah...from november to march...summer football:wink:

Jack
30-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Minus 11° is forecast for Edinburgh on Friday night, rising to the positively balmy height of minus 3° during Saturday.

Leith is meant to be a bit warmer though, -6 and -1.

Met office. (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/dg/edinburgh_forecast_weather.html)

Leith site information:
Latitude: 55.95; Longitude: -3.17
Nearest observation site: Edinburgh Gogarbank (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/dg/edinburgh_gogarbank_latest_weather.html) (11.4 km)

My son came running through to me the other day it was -6 outside according to the interwebonline. I showed him the weather station we have at home that has a wee outside gizmo that says how cold it is outside, it said -0.3. I live in Leith.

Just saying likes :greengrin

Hibbyradge
30-11-2010, 04:09 PM
My son came running through to me the other day it was -6 outside according to the interwebonline. I showed him the weather station we have at home that has a wee outside gizmo that says how cold it is outside, it said -0.3. I live in Leith.

Just saying likes :greengrin

As I said, Leith's forecast is slightly warmer.

Forecast for Leith. (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/dg/leith_forecast_weather.html)

scoopyboy
30-11-2010, 04:23 PM

That is my understanding as well. The snow acts as a protective layer so if there is a hard frost it doesn't reach the grass.

Bishop Hibee
30-11-2010, 05:04 PM
C'mon Petrie, get the weather sorted :grr:

Looking bad on the pavements around ER though the roads are fine. I'd imagine a decision will be taken on Friday.

Hibbyradge
30-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Jeezo, they've reviewed the forecast (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/dg/leith_forecast_weather.html) and even "warm" Leith is going to be -8° overnight on Friday and -6° on Saturday.

Anyone got a balaclava I can borrow?

silverhibee
30-11-2010, 06:03 PM
There will have been a huge amount of snow on the park and even if the heating is on it'll surely have waterlogged it.

Overnight temperatures for Thursday and Friday are forecast to be -10 and -11.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/dg/edinburgh_forecast_weather.html

And then there's the safety of the fans trying to get to the game!

Its not looking good.

HenryMonk
30-11-2010, 06:10 PM
That is my understanding as well. The snow acts as a protective layer so if there is a hard frost it doesn't reach the grass.

at last saturdays game there was piles of what looked like cling film or sheets of plastic behind goals. are hibs covering pitch?

flash
30-11-2010, 10:07 PM
So i take it the police will shut down all the shops as well if the streets are "unsafe".

Sir David Gray
30-11-2010, 10:28 PM
So i take it the police will shut down all the shops as well if the streets are "unsafe".

It's hardly the same. The Police have been saying over the past few days that people should not be making any journeys, unless they are essential.

Going to the shops is essential for most people so the Police can't do anything about that. Going to the football, on the other hand, is NOT an essential journey. The Police also don't need to have a presence at the shops for them to be open but they do need to be present at all football matches, in order for them to take place. With the weather the way it is just now, their resources will be far better spent elsewhere than at a game of football.

Therefore I can totally understand why the Police might decide to call the weekend's football off.

Hibbyradge
30-11-2010, 10:30 PM

If 11000 folk, in two opposing tribes, organised to descend on the same shop within the space of 30 minutes or so, and then stay there until they all decide to leave within 5 minutes or so of each other, they probably would.

CropleyWasGod
30-11-2010, 10:33 PM
If 11000 folk, in two opposing tribes, organised to descend on the same shop within the space of 30 minutes or so, and then stay there until they all decide to leave within 5 minutes or so of each other, they probably would.

... like at Tesco today when the bread lorry arrived? :greengrin

PaulSmith
01-12-2010, 09:00 AM
They'd be as well cancelling the game now

hibiedude
01-12-2010, 09:19 AM
I think football in Scotland this weekend has no chance' even if the snow stops now I don't think it world help any.

I stay in the west and its a complete white out and Police won't want anyone causing further choas on the roads.

HenryMonk
01-12-2010, 09:34 AM

i thought it was the beer lorry :greengrin

DarrenSQH
01-12-2010, 09:35 AM
They'd be as well cancelling the game now

I agree. I'm meant to be working Saturday and would mean I don't have to leave livi at about 2 and try to somehow get to Easter road.

Hibby D
01-12-2010, 09:38 AM

So come on then! How many OAP's did you throw out the way to get your half loaf?:greengrin

Taz_hibee
01-12-2010, 09:38 AM

Still think this is true :greengrin

hibee_girl
01-12-2010, 09:55 AM
The roads around the stadium are a lot worse this morning, I've been watching the cars try to turn onto St Clair Street this morning and they've all been skidding all over the place.

hibiedude
01-12-2010, 10:06 AM
In Livi at the moment and traffic is at a stand still

No Buses
No Trains
Forth Road Bridge closed till 14.00 at the latest
Cant walk on the pavement (Cant find it) :greengrin
Airports closed till at least 18.00

opps and in the middle of a blizzard right now. :snowman1

The weather is winning and with a decision on schools and colleges opening tomorrow immanent I’ll put money on another day’s closure : )

Taz_hibee
01-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Just spoke to my mate, we are meant to be going to hospitality on Sat, he phoned ER and was told pitch is sound but it will be police call to whether game goes ahead or not.
So it is going to depend on how well the council can clear surrounding area of snow & ice.
Not looking good IMO :boo hoo:

hibiedude
01-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Schools in West Lothian now closed till Monday 6th because more severe weather predicted so I think a decision will be made shortly regarding cancelation of Scottish football across the board.

Removed
01-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Schools in West Lothian now closed till Monday 6th because more severe weather predicted so I think a decision will be made shortly regarding cancelation of Scottish football across the board.

:agree:

There is really only one decision imo. We've now got over 3 feet :bitchy:

matty_f
01-12-2010, 12:29 PM
:agree:

There is really only one decision imo. We've now got over 3 feet :bitchy:
Which is about head height for our midfield.

I think they really ought to look at canceling the game, to be honest. Cancel it til we have a fit strike force, at least!

Jamesie
01-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Just spoke to my mate, we are meant to be going to hospitality on Sat, he phoned ER and was told pitch is sound but it will be police call to whether game goes ahead or not.
So it is going to depend on how well the council can clear surrounding area of snow & ice.
Not looking good IMO :boo hoo:

Any idea when a decision will be taken by the Polis?

hibee_girl
01-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Dunfermline v Partick had been called off already