PDA

View Full Version : BBC Sports Personality of the year

Dibben
30-11-2010, 08:26 AM
The 10 finalists have now been announced here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/9217602.stm).

Good chance for a Golf double here I think - G Mac for Personality perhaps, but I think the team of the year will undoubtedly go the the European Ryder Cup team!!

H18sry
30-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Lee Westwood is a stick on, Ryder Cup, worlds number 1.

Hank Schrader
30-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Lee Westwood is a stick on, Ryder Cup, worlds number 1.

Nah, McDowell for me. First European in 40 years to win the US Open, kept his cool under enormous pressure to secure the Ryder Cup for Europe and took Martin Kaymer down to the last day in Race to Dubai battle.

Westwood has done well this year, if he had won a major then I would be backing him.

Golden Bear
30-11-2010, 11:55 AM
I've never considered darts as being a sport, but in terms of success, Phil Taylor's record must be unparalleled therefore there should only be one winner.

I'm not sure how big a factor "personality" is in the choice of the winner however.

BEEJ
30-11-2010, 12:37 PM
I've never considered darts as being a sport, but in terms of success, then Phil Taylor's record must be unparalleled therefore there should only be one winner.

I'm not sure how big a factor "personality" is in the choice of the winner however.
Have to admit, the sight of his name on that list gave me the biggest laugh for a while. :greengrin

Only in dear old Britain could darts be seriously considered a 'sport'. Unbelievable. Will 'darts' be included in the Olympics in time for 2012?

Perhaps the UK backgammon champion could be on the BBC sports personality shortlist for 2011. :rolleyes:

southfieldhibby
30-11-2010, 01:07 PM
G Mac for Personality perhaps

Lee Westwood is a stick on

Nah, McDowell for me.

And therein lies the problem for both.A split vote from the voting golfers.

AP McCoy deserves it anyway, and I'm an avid golfer and dont really like the nags!

goosano
30-11-2010, 04:25 PM
It's a shame that Britain's outstanding athlete has not been nominated. My choice would have been Chrissie Wellington the British triathlete. She is an astonishingly good athlete and she doesn't just win, she annihilates her opposition. She set a world record for the ironman distance in a big meet in Roth in Germany this year (finishing with a marathon in 2-48 after 2 mile swim and 112 mile bike). Only 6 pro men beat her and she beat the nearest women by 32 minutes. She's also won her last 3 world ironman championships and would have finished in the top 25 men

Part/Time Supporter
30-11-2010, 05:58 PM
The award will look a bit stupid if England win the Ashes

:agree:

CropleyWasGod
30-11-2010, 06:04 PM
The award will look a bit stupid if England win the Ashes

:agree:

How so? The Ashes series finishes after the year, doesn't it?

LancashireHibby
01-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Pretty uninspiring selections there, I reckon.

NOLA
01-12-2010, 11:48 AM
manager of the year Fabio? :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
01-12-2010, 07:52 PM
How so? The Ashes series finishes after the year, doesn't it?

Fourth test finishes on December 30th. If England are ahead in the series after then they will have at least retained them.

CropleyWasGod
01-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Fourth test finishes on December 30th. If England are ahead in the series after then they will have at least retained them.

Fair point. But there has to be a cut-off point, I suppose. If England win the Ashes, they will probably be up for next year's awards.