PDA

View Full Version : Question Gary MacKay's Medals

Phil D. Rolls
29-11-2010, 10:27 AM
There are often cruel jibes on here about the non-racist ex captain of Hearts. Now, slagging him off for pretending he had nothing to do with Vlad taking his club down the toilet is one thing, but some fans have been going too far of late.

I think it is out of order to say that the only winners medals Gary has are for the Tennents Sixes - a tournament that no serious football club would care about. Surely in all his years as a loyal servant to Hearts, MacKay must have come close to winning the league, and maybe even the Scottish Cup?

If anybody can help me out on this dilemma I'd be very grateful. I'm certain Hearts won the league when he was there, I have a vague memory of bus loads of maroon scarves, and alcohol flushed faces.

Please, tell me I didn't imagine it all. It was the 80s, and admittedly - like most Hibs fans - I was jellied most of the time. I am certain MacKay must have at least one winners medal in his collection.

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 10:31 AM
There are often cruel jibes on here about the non-racist ex captain of Hearts. Now, slagging him off for pretending he had nothing to do with Vlad taking his club down the toilet is one thing, but some fans have been going too far of late.

I think it is out of order to say that the only winners medals Gary has are for the Tennents Sixes - a tournament that no serious football club would care about. Surely in all his years as a loyal servant to Hearts, MacKay must have come close to winning the league, and maybe even the Scottish Cup?

If anybody can help me out on this dilemma I'd be very grateful. I'm certain Hearts won the league when he was there, I have a vague memory of bus loads of maroon scarves, and alcohol flushed faces.

Please, tell me I didn't imagine it all. It was the 80s, and admittedly - like most Hibs fans - I was jellied most of the time. I am certain MacKay must have at least one winners medal in his collection.

You are correct Gary did win a League Medal unfortunately it was stolen by Albert Kidd.

Hibbyradge
29-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Who?

Phil D. Rolls
29-11-2010, 10:35 AM
You are correct Gary did win a League Medal unfortunately it was stolen by Albert Kidd.

I don't remember this at all. Did it make the papers?

HibbiesandtheBaddies
29-11-2010, 12:21 PM
I think he got a medal for winning the Falklands war.

HenryMonk
29-11-2010, 12:21 PM

im sure gary mckay must be taking them nowadays,that must be the reason he keeps coming out with garbage...to many green rugby baws!!:wink:

Dashing Bob S
29-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Happy to clear that one up, FR. Gary has both the VC and MC for his dustinguished service in both world wars.

In reality as it was meant to be, the allies lost to the Nazis and we faced a harsh military occupation. Fortunately, a little known Dundee striker Leigh Griffiths, discovered time travel. Gary and 399,999 chums took advantage, going back to first world war, then the other, to change both outcomes. Sadly, his 399,999 friends never made it back.

It was a hell of a sacrifice as in the alternate reality it was Albert Kidd who was sent off and Wattie Kidd who scored two late goals, thus ensuring the league and cup double came to Tynie.

Phil D. Rolls
29-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Happy to clear that one up, FR. Gary has both the VC and MC for his dustinguished service in both world wars.

In reality as it was meant to be, the allies lost to the Nazis and we faced a harsh military occupation. Fortunately, a little known Dundee striker Leigh Griffiths, discovered time travel. Gary and 399,999 chums took advantage, going back to first world war, then the other, to change both outcomes. Sadly, his 399,999 friends never made it back.

It was a hell of a sacrifice as in the alternate reality it was Albert Kidd who was sent off and Wattie Kidd who scored two late goals, thus ensuring the league and cup double came to Tynie.

Albert Kidd?

Pretty Boy
29-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Further to the Gary Mackay query, i have aquestion of my own:

I was at a charity game a few weeks back featuring the 'Hearts Legends'. This team was mainly made up of players from the late 80s and early 90s, now given that Hearts are such a massive club and these guys are club legends can anyone answer me how many medals these guys won between them whilst at Hearts? I expect the answer to be in the dozens but would just like confirmation.

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Further to the Gary Mackay query, i have aquestion of my own:

I was at a charity game a few weeks back featuring the 'Hearts Legends'. This team was mainly made up of players from the late 80s and early 90s, now given that Hearts are such a massive club and these guys are club legends can anyone answer me how many medals these guys won between them whilst at Hearts? I expect the answer to be in the dozens but would just like confirmation.

As many as our recent legends I would wager :boo hoo:

Archie70
29-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Bearing in mind that he played more games for the club than any other player, how many of the 400 000 turned up at his testimonial. Genuine question.

SkintHibby
29-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi all,

Did he no get a medal from the Oirish for helping them reach the World Cup Finals and I'm sure he got a medal for being a grade A FUD!?

sambajustice
29-11-2010, 01:55 PM
I think he got a medal for winning the Falklands war.

I just spat out my chips!! LOL

Phil D. Rolls
29-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Bearing in mind that he played more games for the club than any other player, how many of the 400 000 turned up at his testimonial. Genuine question.

I would have thought they would have needed Murrayfield, with relays to the PBS, Hampden and Wembley to accomodate all the well wishers.

Hi all,

Did he no get a medal from the Oirish for helping them reach the World Cup Finals and I'm sure he got a medal for being a grade A FUD!?

Some of this sounds about right.

matty_f
29-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Did he not get something for letter of the week in Racist's Monthly magazine?

Minder
29-11-2010, 05:12 PM

Thought the MC was from the Bore War.

Iggy Pope
29-11-2010, 05:24 PM
As many as our recent legends I would wager :boo hoo:

Mickey Weir and Keith Wright fought in the Falklands too?

Good on 'em!

Edinburgh Green
29-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Heard he battered Chuck Norris once? Not sure about his medal haul, I'd expect it to be vast though.

fiolex1
29-11-2010, 05:36 PM
He's got a medal for being a Prick

Bostonhibby
29-11-2010, 05:45 PM

I don't know about any of the rest of it but I can categorically confirm that there were plenty of faces that looked like they had been flushed.

Bostonhibby
29-11-2010, 05:48 PM

****, I must be getting my wires crossed, wasn't it Pickles the dog that stole the silverware? or am I getting my big teams mixed up?

Dashing Bob S
29-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Thought the MC was from the Bore War.

That was for his Evening News columns where he went head-to-head with Foulkesy.

Barney McGrew
29-11-2010, 06:52 PM

A massive 5575.

Which was still a couple of thousand more believers than bothered to turn up to see Craig Levein's.

We could only dream of getting crowds like that to say thanks to our club stalwarts.

Archie70
29-11-2010, 06:55 PM
A massive 5575.

Which was still a couple of thousand more believers than bothered to turn up to see Craig Levein's.

We could only dream of getting crowds like that to say thanks to our club stalwarts.

How many for Leveins. A jambo at work keeps telling me they got 57 000 for the Barelona friendly. He honestly thinks they were there to see the Yams!

Barney McGrew
29-11-2010, 06:58 PM
How many for Leveins. A jambo at work keeps telling me they got 57 000 for the Barelona friendly. He honestly thinks they were there to see the Yams!

3500 to see them get pumped 5-1 by the mighty Coventry City.

Hillsidehibby
29-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Did he not get something for letter of the week in Racist's Monthly magazine?

Gary was awarded The Nobel Peace Prize for his work abolishing The Slave Trade.

jdships
29-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Understand the only medals he has are "canteen medals" on the front of his pullover :greengrin

degenerated
29-11-2010, 07:04 PM
3500 to see them get pumped 5-1 by the mighty Coventry City.

didnt we do the decent thing and play them in second testimonial yo ensure he at least got something. given the bitter and twisted tosser Levein has turned out to be we shouldn't have bothered.

Bostonhibby
29-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Gary was awarded The Nobel Peace Prize for his work abolishing The Slave Trade.

And I think he split the atom as well, but he doesn't like talking about it on account of not knowing what it is.

Barney McGrew
29-11-2010, 07:10 PM
didnt we do the decent thing and play them in second testimonial yo ensure he at least got something. given the bitter and twisted tosser Levein has turned out to be we shouldn't have bothered.

Aye, we did, and we pumped them as well :greengrin

WindyMiller
29-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Understand the only medals he has are "canteen medals" on the front of his pullover :greengrin

:faf:

The young'uns will be frantically googling that.

WindyMiller
29-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Albert Kidd?

Is this Guy FR?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXuNbiBaaTXleER6iDxKt-tfIIyRUu2T-n7GqYq7gSRoLixllD

Disc O'Dave
29-11-2010, 08:32 PM

:faf::applause:

For the first time in many a year, my sides are actually hurting now. Not heard that phrase in a long time...