PDA

View Full Version : How dare they have a go at the Hibs Fans

MB62
29-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Both Colin Calderwood and now Ian Murray have had a wee dash at the fans for the few that booed Colin 'Bambi' Nish for falling on his backside for the umpteenth time in the game.
I have to admit, I have always had a bit of sympathy for Nish, I think he does try but is simply not good enough, and I don't like slagging him, or any other player for that matter, but sometimes your frustration just gets the better of you. Nish was no worse than anybody else in our team, Ian Murray for me being the ONLY ONE (well probably both centre halfs) who got pass marks on Saturday.

As mentioned elsewhere, the one single highlight and passparks went to the SUPPORTERS who sang non stop to try and lift the team. I am angry that Calderwood then comes out and has a go at the fans, EFF OFF Colin, you were equally to blame for Saturday's shambles and it should be US slagging YOU and certainly not the other way round. If he is going to come out with crap like that, I will be keeping my £22 in my pocket in future, rather than making the effort to go and watch one of the worst teams we have had in my time supporting Hibs.

:grr: :grr: :grr:

marinello59
29-11-2010, 09:33 AM
How dare they have a go at us for having a go at them.:faf:

Beefster
29-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Personally, I think it's embarrassing and cringeworthy when Hibs supporters boo or jeer their own.

If you're not man enough to take a little bit of mild criticism then don't dish it out. This is similar to fans who spent 90 minutes abusing a player, his mother, his missus, his kids, his sexuality and his background before going apoplectic when he scores against us and gives us the 'shhhh' gesture.

MSK
29-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Both Colin Calderwood and now Ian Murray have had a wee dash at the fans for the few that booed Colin 'Bambi' Nish for falling on his backside for the umpteenth time in the game.
I have to admit, I have always had a bit of sympathy for Nish, I think he does try but is simply not good enough, and I don't like slagging him, or any other player for that matter, but sometimes your frustration just gets the better of you. Nish was no worse than anybody else in our team, Ian Murray for me being the ONLY ONE (well probably both centre halfs) who got pass marks on Saturday.

As mentioned elsewhere, the one single highlight and passparks went to the SUPPORTERS who sang non stop to try and lift the team. I am angry that Calderwood then comes out and has a go at the fans, EFF OFF Colin, you were equally to blame for Saturday's shambles and it should be US slagging YOU and certainly not the other way round. If he is going to come out with crap like that, I will be keeping my £22 in my pocket in future, rather than making the effort to go and watch one of the worst teams we have had in my time supporting Hibs.

:grr: :grr: :grr:Why was CC to blame for Saturday's shambles ..?..:confused:

Ferryhibby
29-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Is this what the seasons goin to b remembered for everyone having a go at everyone else, Calderwood has to come out and defend his players no matter how bad they are, what would it do to their already shot confidence to have the manager come out and say i think hes crap too and cant stay on his feet, hed b as well packing his bags now, not a bad thing in nish's case i agree, at least he replaced him during the game with a centre half too, couldnt have been an easy decision. Anyway this is what we are stuck with for a few more weeks at least.

Argylehibby
29-11-2010, 09:43 AM
If you're not man enough to take a little bit of mild criticism then don't dish it out. This is similar to fans who spent 90 minutes abusing a player, his mother, his missus, his kids, his sexuality and his background before going apoplectic when he scores against us and gives us the 'shhhh' gesture.[/QUOTE]

:top marks

Keith_M
29-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Sorry but I agree with Calderwood on this. You can go on all you like about how much a player gets paid but abuse isn't one of the things they get paid for, especially not from their own fans.

WindyMiller
29-11-2010, 09:44 AM

I noticed this in the Scotsman this morning but, IMO, it doesn't reflect the interview CC made after the match.
He simply states he felt sorry for Nish as he felt he did his best, but that the booing of a player could have a negative effect on the rest of the team and Club.

No heed to get :grr: MB.

matty_f
29-11-2010, 09:44 AM
I couldn't see a thing wrong with what cc said. If folk are going to get outraged at what is a very mild statement, them they should consider the impact of the abuse and booing directed at a specific individual.

jackhfc
29-11-2010, 09:45 AM
They're only having a go at the people who booed a HIBS player and fan, not all the supporters in general...

Baldy Foghorn
29-11-2010, 09:59 AM

What a ridiculous post..... CC was saying what many on here have said, that is not cnstructive to boo your own players during games, hardly supporting is it?

Antifa Hibs
29-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Was cringing at some of the support when Nish was taking off on Saturday.

Didn't surprise me though... We've had it all before.... Van Zanten, O'Brien, Ormen, Konte etc etc. Who's next?:rolleyes:

MB62
29-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Maybe he was quoted on this out of a larger comment. My point, which I probably didn't put over, was the Hibs fans were brilliant on Saturday on what was one of the worst performances I have ever witnessed from our team. Maybe it was the press who chose to quote this but I found it a bit out of order that for the best part of the game, the Hibs fans gave it their all yet C.C. decides to pick on one point of criticism aimed at Nish. The support given for the larger part of the game seems to have gone unnoticed. If C.C. had said he appreciated the support given by the fans but was disappointed in the booing of Nish, I could understand, but to just pick this out of what went on for the 90 minutes of that game was out of order.

As to the question about how he was responsible.

He picks the team and tactics
He makes the (ridiculous) substitutions
He has a dash at the fans

I'm a big enough laddie now to take a slagging when given, but on Saturday, the one plus point in that game was the Hibs support and for manager and captain to then come out and give us a slagging was out of order, IMO of course.

marinello59
29-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Maybe he was quoted on this out of a larger comment. My point, which I probably didn't put over, was the Hibs fans were brilliant on Saturday on what was one of the worst performances I have ever witnessed from our team. Maybe it was the press who chose to quote this but I found it a bit out of order that for the best part of the game, the Hibs fans gave it their all yet C.C. decides to pick on one point of criticism aimed at Nish. The support given for the larger part of the game seems to have gone unnoticed. If C.C. had said he appreciated the support given by the fans but was disappointed in the booing of Nish, I could understand, but to just pick this out of what went on for the 90 minutes of that game was out of order.

I'm a big enough laddie now to take a slagging when given, but on Saturday, the one plus point in that game was the Hibs support and for manager and captain to then come out and give us a slagging was out of order, IMO of course.

The singing section was brilliant on Saturday.:agree: I do see where you are coming from but maybe a wee bit of over reaction from yourself? Perhaps we are all guilty of a bit of that just now. (Well I know I am :greengrin) Roll on the transfer window when hopefully we will see a team on the park putting a good run together and uniting the support.

Toaods
29-11-2010, 10:14 AM
CC is simply trying to show support for those on the books to get what he can out of them, before he swings his axe. Sign of good management...Yogi would be tellingus how Nish was unlucky and he has been working really hard in training and showing the right kind of spirit, etc.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-11-2010, 10:23 AM
I am not sure that Nish could have done a lot more on Saturday given the lack of service but every team has a whipping boy, when things are not going great. Not saying that this is right or wrong. But surely one of football's greatest cliches, is that the best way for him to answer his critics is on the pitch. A lot of what Nish does drives me mental and TBH I don't see any input from him to show that he is working to improve those parts of his game. He can't stay upright for 90 minutes and he can't stay onside. Surely these are basic requirements?

Darth Hibbie
29-11-2010, 10:31 AM

Did he really have any other options. Not his fault we had only 1 striker available. Had he not played Nish and went with Galbraith or Wotherspoon or any other player upfront he would have been slaughtered for it.

Tried something different up front and it might have worked. St J never really looked like scoring and the defence had it covered so he took off the defensive midfielder and put on an attacking midfielder to go out and try and win the game. Makes sense to me

Saying the booing your own players does not help them is probably more a statement of fact rather than having a dash at the fans

Again all IMO just my take on it :greengrin

Leith Green
29-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Whilst is pretty cringey hearing your own players booed, nish hardly helped himself by coming out with comments such as the one below after a home defeat in the derby.. People are gonna be less tolerant towards sub standard players when they start mouthing off in the press. See below

oin us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/people/Daily-Record/1297490405)

Colin Nish: 95 per cent of Hibs fans only go to games to moan at boss and players

May 2 2010 (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/05/02/) Gordon Waddell ; Scott Mcdermott, Sunday Mail (http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/)
COLIN NISH last night laid into the Hibs fans calling for John Hughes' head - and claimed 95 per cent of them don't have a clue about football.
Yesterday's crushing 2-1 loss in the Edinburgh derby at Easter Road made it just two wins in 16 games.
That dismal run has seen their Euro hopes - and manager Yogi's reputation - take a battering.
But Nish leapt to his gaffer's defence and insisted the majority of fans are never happy unless they're moaning.
The striker is a lifelong supporter himself and he raged: "Only about five per cent of them know what they are talking about anyway.
"The rest just go to moan at people so it doesn't surprise me to hear what we're hearing. If we were winning games they would get bored."

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Whilst is pretty cringey hearing your own players booed, nish hardly helped himself by coming out with comments such as the one below after a home defeat in the derby.. People are gonna be less tolerant towards sub standard players when they start mouthing off in the press. See below

oin us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/people/Daily-Record/1297490405)

Colin Nish: 95 per cent of Hibs fans only go to games to moan at boss and players

May 2 2010 (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/05/02/) Gordon Waddell ; Scott Mcdermott, Sunday Mail (http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/)
COLIN NISH last night laid into the Hibs fans calling for John Hughes' head - and claimed 95 per cent of them don't have a clue about football.
Yesterday's crushing 2-1 loss in the Edinburgh derby at Easter Road made it just two wins in 16 games.
That dismal run has seen their Euro hopes - and manager Yogi's reputation - take a battering.
But Nish leapt to his gaffer's defence and insisted the majority of fans are never happy unless they're moaning.
The striker is a lifelong supporter himself and he raged: "Only about five per cent of them know what they are talking about anyway.
"The rest just go to moan at people so it doesn't surprise me to hear what we're hearing. If we were winning games they would get bored."

Well Colin, with you in the side, we wont be getting bored soon. :bitchy:

moggie
29-11-2010, 10:39 AM
At least nish was on the park.:whistle:

woody47
29-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Can anyone on here explain exactly what they mean when they say they "cringe". What do they do? Shiver? Put there fingers in their mouths? What?
Booing players might not be constructive but if that player looks like he is not bothered why should the fans bother?

Phil D. Rolls
29-11-2010, 10:50 AM
How dare they, how very dare they!!

http://www.thestage.co.uk/tvtoday/images/ctate_derek.jpg

hibiedude
29-11-2010, 10:51 AM
If you weren’t one of the fans that were booing Nish and Co then why does it bother you what Calderwood said.

If you dish it out you should be man enough to take it when the rolls are reversed.

lucky
29-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Ian Murray and CC are entitled to vent the anger/opinion at the fans behaviour just as we are entitled to let Nish know that he is absolutely murder who appears not to try and and has the strength of a new born dear. It goes both ways. I for one did not find cringeworthy , Sad, embarrassing that Nish got booed. He deserved it. If he looked like he at least tried then it would ease the pressure on him. But it appears he cant wait get away from Hibs as much as MOST of the fans want rid of him.

Pretty Boy
29-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Whilst i have sympathy with what Colin Nish had to put up with on Saturday and i have sympathy with CC trying to back him, i can also see where the OP is coming from.

Surely those inside the dressing room at ER can understand how frustrated the fans are. We have paid good money to watch, for the most part, absolute dross since February (and it feels like far longer than that). Do they really not get that some fans will get a wee bit caught up in the heat of the moment and maybe boo a player or shout something abusive that perhaps wouldn't have been said had it been a one off mistake when we are doing well? Ian Murray accused us, as fans, of turning everything into a crisis, well i'm sorry but our performance and results since February are a crisis and if the players don't realise that they are either collectively as thick as 2 short planks or they don't understand the expectations at a club like Hibs.

As for the fans on Saturday i take my hat off to those who sang throughout the 90 minutes, personally i sat on my erse freezing counting down the minutes until i could go home, i'm just so lethargic about Hibs at the moment. As for those who booed Nish or cheered the substitution- i'm not condoning it but i'm not going to get all holier than thou because to some extent i can understand it.

maturehibby
29-11-2010, 11:26 AM
I am not looking for a "Halo" but when Colin Nish was subbed I stood up and Applauded him off the park on my own I am ashamed to say as he is as much a fan of the team as I am and I couldnt ever see me doing anything hurting to a Hibs player or fan

MB62
29-11-2010, 11:34 AM
If you weren’t one of the fans that were booing Nish and Co then why does it bother you what Calderwood said.

If you dish it out you should be man enough to take it when the rolls are reversed.

I was not one of the guys booing Nish, I've never booed a HIbs player, have certainly felt like it many times, and certainly get incredibly frustrated at times and voice my displeasure. What I'm annoyed about is the fact the Hibs fans were brilliant on Saturday yet manager and captain decide to ignore this and concentrate on the one negative from it all.
If we have to put up with criticism from them then I'm sure big Colin can do the same, after all, we pay to watch him and he get's paid handsomely in return.

Baldy Foghorn
29-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Ian Murray and CC are entitled to vent the anger/opinion at the fans behaviour just as we are entitled to let Nish know that he is absolutely murder who appears not to try and and has the strength of a new born dear. It goes both ways. I for one did not find cringeworthy , Sad, embarrassing that Nish got booed. He deserved it. If he looked like he at least tried then it would ease the pressure on him. But it appears he cant wait get away from Hibs as much as MOST of the fans want rid of him.

Nonsense

hibs0666
29-11-2010, 11:37 AM

Glad to hear it - good on them. :thumbsup:

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 11:51 AM
I am not looking for a "Halo" but when Colin Nish was subbed I stood up and Applauded him off the park on my own I am ashamed to say as he is as much a fan of the team as I am and I couldnt ever see me doing anything hurting to a Hibs player or fan

I Feel totally embarrassed for you.
How you can "Stand and Applaud" a man who dib NOTHING of any note in 70 mins only you can explain.
If Nish stayed on his feet. stayed on onside, put his foot were it hurts, look interested,win his fair share of headers I may have applauded. Nish has offered Nil for months and his performances are shocking.

I really think it is time CC and our captain said what they know and we can see, players are not good enough and are lacking in effort. If CC said I think Colin is trying hard things are not coming off for him, BUT it is up to him and the team to win the fans favour back and he will do that by hard work effort and STAYING on his feeecking feet.

The honeymoon is over for CC with his players and he should be letting us know what he really thinks and more importantly lets hope in private he is telling the players exactly what he thinks.

CC has my full support and lots of time to get things right but he must be honest and if necessary blunt so far I think (and maybe rightly so) he is pussy footing around the problems.

Part/Time Supporter
29-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I think that since it was such a poor game the journalists would have been struggling for a "talking point", ie something to ask the managers about. They will have noticed Nish getting a bad reception and decided to ask Calderwood about it. Its not as if Calderwood walked into the interview room and said unprompted that he thought the Hibs fans were a disgrace or something like of that ilk. His comments would have been prompted by their questioning and were quite measured - all he's asked the fans to do is bear in mind the effect of what they do (good and bad) on the players, including Nish.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9235265.stm

Baldy Foghorn
29-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I Feel totally embarrassed for you.
How you can "Stand and Applaud" a man who dib NOTHING of any note in 70 mins only you can explain.
If Nish stayed on his feet. stayed on onside, put his foot were it hurts, look interested,win his fair share of headers I may have applauded. Nish has offered Nil for months and his performances are shocking.

I really think it is time CC and our captain said what they know and we can see, players are not good enough and are lacking in effort. If CC said I think Colin is trying hard things are not coming off for him, BUT it is up to him and the team to win the fans favour back and he will do that by hard work effort and STAYING on his feeecking feet.

The honeymoon is over for CC with his players and he should be letting us know what he really thinks and more importantly lets hope in private he is telling the players exactly what he thinks.

CC has my full support and lots of time to get things right but he must be honest and if necessary blunt so far I think (and maybe rightly so) he is pussy footing around the problems.

You are embarrassed by a supporter actually supoprting a player..... Suggest that says more about you than anything else......???

JimBHibees
29-11-2010, 12:01 PM

Dear oh dear, didnt take long for a new manager making his way at the club and having one average striker available to him to start getting it in the neck. All he is saying as was suggested by loads of posts since Saturday is that it is embarressing and appalling to be screaming abuse and cheering when a Hibs player gets substituted and people that do it may as well put on an opposition strip and get on the park.

MrRobot
29-11-2010, 12:01 PM

TBH, that is pretty childish. Not going to go back cause he said lay off somebody. Seems like you're just looking for anything to moan about.
If people give out stick, they have to take it back. Would you rather CC said, "Aye, I know he's ***** but I needed to play him" ?

Look at the positives from Saturday, we never conceded against a team that humped us 5-1 last season and we are finally playing good football now. Maybe not for the entire 90minutes but the players look like they know what they are doing abit more now.

I feel sorry for Nish cause I think if we play a certain way he can score goals as we saw last season but at the moment I would rather have Trakys in, he has performed really well in the last 2 games he's played.

Lets just get off the team and now(cant believe so quickly) managers back.

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 12:07 PM
You are embarrassed by a supporter actually supoprting a player..... Suggest that says more about you than anything else......???

Yeah you are probably right and I stand by what I said.

A STANDING OVATION or saying and doing nothing when a player subbed who has probably performed as bad in that game as he has in any game of his career.

You decide who looks a wee bit silly. :wink:

MB62
29-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Did he really have any other options. Not his fault we had only 1 striker available. Had he not played Nish and went with Galbraith or Wotherspoon or any other player upfront he would have been slaughtered for it.

Tried something different up front and it might have worked. St J never really looked like scoring and the defence had it covered so he took off the defensive midfielder and put on an attacking midfielder to go out and try and win the game. Makes sense to me

It certainly was not his fault we only had one striker available, however, he did have other options. He could have played Spoonie up front with Nish, or even played Galbraith there. I never understand why managers seem to prefer playing left footed players on the right when there is as good if not better right footed player on the bench (e.g. Rankin and Wotherspoon).
As for the subs, Ian Murray was about the only player trying to surge forward and I was mystified as to why he was taken off.
For as bad as Nish was, IMO, being subbed for a young centre half who has not featured even in his own position, was a bigger slagging than anything the fans could thrown at him.
Grounds was having an absolute Nightmare of a game, nothing was coming off for him. Bringing on Stevenson was fair enough but not for Miller. He was poor too but was one of the few who might just have done something to win the game. Stevenson should have been on as a straight swap for Grounds.
Of course, as always, these are just my opinions, but as one who paid £22 to freeze their knackers off to watch one of the poorest games in the history of football, I feel entitled to them.

Part/Time Supporter
29-11-2010, 12:08 PM
It could also be said that it appears Calderwood agreed with the assessment that Nish was having a stinker. He hauled him off with >20 minutes to go and replaced him with a 19 y/o centre half who probably hasn't played up front since he was at school.

SMAXXA
29-11-2010, 12:17 PM
I dont have a problem with out manager and captain coming out and supporting one of the players, its kind of what I would have expected. I do understand what the OP was getting at aswell, if feels that the positiveness of the Hibs suport on Saturday with the constant singing was overlooked by CC and IM and its a shame that this has overshaddowed what IMO was one of the best performances by the fans for a long long time.

Argylehibby
29-11-2010, 12:17 PM

Great idea, lets tell the guys that he needs to pull out a performance that they are rank and he cant wait to get rid of them. Ever thought of writing a book on man management?

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Great idea, lets tell the guys that he needs to pull out a performance that they are rank and he cant wait to get rid of them. Ever thought of writing a book on man management?

There is only so many times you can put your arm round someone and say unlucky it will be okay.

Yogi did that for 9 months he got the sack.

When softly softly does not work it is time to get tough if that does not work it is obvious what you have is not good enough.

CC can use the softly softly approach but before he tries maybe he should ask Yogi (the boys were great , I canny ask fir any mare fi ma boys etc etc) if it works.

Argylehibby
29-11-2010, 12:31 PM
There is only so many times you can put your arm round someone and say unlucky it will be okay.

Yogi did that for 9 months he got the sack.

When softly softly does not work it is time to get tough if that does not work it is obvious what you have is not good enough.

CC can use the softly softly approach but before he tries maybe he should ask Yogi (the boys were great , I canny ask fir any mare fi ma boys etc etc) if it works.

Thats not the same as spouting off in the press telling the fans that I am kicking x, y and z up and down the place because they're not good enough. He can only work with what he's got and publicly criticising them is not going to make them better. CC's job is to get the best out of the players not make the fans feel better by telling them what he is intending to do in the transfer window.

Dinkydoo
29-11-2010, 12:36 PM
What I fail to understand is how people can back the Referee's right to defend themselves through thier decision to strike and at the same time don't think that Players are entitled to do the same.

There really isn't a difference - nobody is paid to put up with abuse at thier work.

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Thats not the same as spouting off in the press telling the fans that I am kicking x, y and z up and down the place because they're not good enough. He can only work with what he's got and publicly criticising them is not going to make them better. CC's job is to get the best out of the players not make the fans feel better by telling them what he is intending to do in the transfer window.

I must have missed where I said that,
CC has to keep the fans onside (look at how empty the ground looked on Sat) not players that will not be there soon.

There is nothing to stop CC saying the players are trying hard but THEY must worker harder and show fans their committment and effort 9STAY ON YOUR FEET) only then will get ALL the crowd behind the team. That happened against Motherwell.

Yes CC has a balancing act but blindly backing players wont work, again I go back to Yogi he did that and was sacked.

MB62
29-11-2010, 12:43 PM
TBH, that is pretty childish. Not going to go back cause he said lay off somebody. Seems like you're just looking for anything to moan about.

I'll be back, of that there is no doubt. I have plenty to moan about this season, and last, and after Saturday there's plenty more too.

If people give out stick, they have to take it back. Would you rather CC said, "Aye, I know he's ***** but I needed to play him" ?.[/
I didn't give out stick, to Nish or anybody else, although plenty deserved it. Calderwood didn't need to say anything at all on the subject, but he chose to slag the Hibs supporters.

[QUOTE=HibbyCal;2649820]Look at the positives from Saturday, we never conceded against a team that humped us 5-1 last season and we are finally playing good football now. Maybe not for the entire 90minutes but the players look like they know what they are doing abit more now.

That's what I am asking the manager to do, look at the positives. The Hibs support were fantastic on Saturday but he chooses to have a dig rather applaud the efforts of the fans.

Shirley yer havin a laugh, Playing good football! where aboots?

[B]I feel sorry for Nish cause I think if we play a certain way he can score goals as we saw last season but at the moment I would rather have Trakys in, he has performed really well in the last 2 games he's played..

I feel sorry for the big man too and didn't think he was any worse than the majority wearing green & white on Saturday. I had been hoping Trakys was fit because Ilooking forward to possibly seeing those play up front together, I thought they might have caused a few problems for the St. J defence.

Lets just get off the team and now(cant believe so quickly) managers back.

If the manager feels he can start slagging the support, then he can stand and take some criticism back. I have a great deal of sympathy for what he has to work with and goodness knows how he is going to sign the 15 players in January that we ned to turn this side around.

marinello59
Yeah you are probably right and I stand by what I said.

A STANDING OVATION or saying and doing nothing when a player subbed who has probably performed as bad in that game as he has in any game of his career.

You decide who looks a wee bit silly. :wink:

I stood up asnd clapped him as well as several did A standing ovation? Not really but at least the player could see that not everybody believes booing one of our own off is right. You are right, I did look silly but that was more to do with the fact I look like a garden gnome when I wrap up for winter.
Thanks for feeling embarrassed for me, that's usually my son's job.:greengrin

Sammy7nil
What I fail to understand is how people can back the Referee's right to defend themselves through thier decision to strike and at the same time don't think that Players are entitled to do the same.

There really isn't a difference - nobody is paid to put up with abuse at thier work.

I think if a player wants to strike he should, he will not be paid and when his contract comes up to be renewed I wonder how many teams would take him on being a a wee sensitive soul?

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 12:46 PM
I stood up asnd clapped him as well as several did A standing ovation? Not really but at least the player could see that not everybody believes booing one of our own off is right. You are right, I did look silly but that was more to do with the fact I look like a garden gnome when I wrap up for winter.
Thanks for feeling embarrassed for me, that's usually my son's job.:greengrin

Sorry mate, not having a dig.

It would have been worse for Nish if everyone had stood up and applauded him off the park. Sarcasim is the lowest form of wit :greengrin

Dinkydoo
29-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I think if a player wants to strike he should, he will not be paid and when his contract comes up to be renewed I wonder how many teams would take him on being a a wee sensitive soul?

................and if they or thier manager want to defend themselves, they can't.

Makes perfect sense.

:rolleyes:

marinello59
29-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Sorry mate, not having a dig.

It would have been worse for Nish if everyone had stood up and applauded him off the park. Sarcasim is the lowest form of wit :greengrin

OK, I'll give you that one. :greengrin

SMAXXA
29-11-2010, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=MB62;2649867]I feel sorry for the big man too and didn't think he was any worse than the majority wearing green & white on Saturday. I had been hoping Trakys was fit because Ilooking forward to possibly seeing those play up front together, I thought they might have caused a few problems for the St. J defence.

Geez was that a Hibs fan saying he was looking forward to seeing Nish play, now that is going against the grain :greengrin

tamig
29-11-2010, 01:00 PM

Get a grip man ffs.

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 01:02 PM
................and if they or thier manager want to defend themselves, they can't.

Makes perfect sense.

:rolleyes:

Nish can defend himself !!!

The Evening News and or Radio would be falling over thamselves to get an interview with him, he has an agent who can get his point of view across.

Nish has nothing to say on the matter as defending indefencible is very difficult.

Nish CAN change this
1. Buy new boots ones with studs.
2. Train harder get fitter. Stop huffing and puffing after 30 mins.
3. Your a Big Man stand up for yourself dont get pushed around. Players much smaller than Nish compete.
4. Come out and say you are disappointed and understand fans frustration after 9 months of dross.
5. Dont say 95% ohf Hibs fans dont know what they are talking about.
6. Stay on side and score the odd goal.

That could turn things around.

Argylehibby
29-11-2010, 01:16 PM

As you missed it I thought I would point it out for you.

Dashing Bob S
29-11-2010, 01:21 PM
I think managers and players really need to be careful what they say to fans. This morning I was at a bit of a low as it was very cold and then a woman in front of me in the queue at Starbucks got the last chocolate donut. As I sat down with my skinny latte and read Calderwood's aside, I though 'How much do they expect us to take?'

GreenCastle
29-11-2010, 01:28 PM
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Calderwood-took-gamble-in-bid.6643408.jp

Calderwood talking about taking a gamble from the evening news...

I wouldn't call it a gamble taking off a player whose not playing well and putting on another player in his position. Ok you can say he was a centre back as forward but a gamble in my opinion would be to move Bamba to midfield - play 3 at the back and leave Nish on with Stevens up there = 2 target players.

People are forgetting when Murray's number came up to be subbed fans booed for a moment then clapped Murray going off.He looked like he was injured / very tired but was a tired Murray doing more than others on the pitch at the same time ?

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 01:30 PM
As you missed it I thought I would point it out for you.

Thanks for that.

I still stand by what I said and if CC and our Captain blindly support players then the sparsley populated stands will be emptier week on week.

CC has to at some point say he and the players have to take responsibilty and he has to be blunt softly softly has repeatedly failed with this squad.

CC will get an easy ride as it is not his team but the way he sets them up is his responsibility.

Taking off Murray and leaving Rankin and De Graff on the pitch was baffling. Taking off your only fit striker for a 19yr old CH when you need a goal says all he thinks about Nish's performance.

Taking off Miller our only player on the park with any limited creativity was also baffling.

CC will have to make a stance soon or watch the dwindiling fans continue to slip away.

MB62
29-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Get a grip man ffs.

So what part of Saturday's performance were you happy with, and I assume you think it's ok for the manager to have a pop at the fans after that showing?

Part/Time Supporter
29-11-2010, 01:49 PM
So what part of Saturday's performance were you happy with, and I assume you think it's ok for the manager to have a pop at the fans after that showing?

"It's something you don't want and I have a lot of sympathy for big Colin. We have to be careful how we go about supporting our team," said Calderwood.

"There is a balance and you have to be careful you don't cross the line and it affects the club."

The Easter Road side were subdued as they drew a blank against Saints.

"For the game, we made lots of little mistakes and never had any real fluency."

I wouldn't define that as having a pop at the fans.

:dunno:

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't define that as having a pop at the fans.

:dunno:

I agree that is nothing, however he could have turned it on it's head and been very positive.

He could have said,

Yeah the fans had a brief moment were they showed their frustration at the lack of chances we created and rightly so. When we are at home we have to be more positive, but I was very happy with the crowd they stuck with us and the atmosphere for the vast majority of the game was great, they really got behind the team despite the lack of goal mouth action.

CC needs the fans with him and he has to be positive of the support when ever he can be regardless what he thinks. Fans will make orr break our club.

LeithBoozy
29-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Northern Hibby is bang-on, you tackle the abuse by proving your critics wrong. It has been said many times before that confidence plays a big part in any good players game, and there is no doubt big Nish's is shot. There is no way he should be near the first-team at the moment. Yogi IMO seriously weakened the squad by his controversial moves, IE freeing Benji, Byrne out on loan ect. :rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
29-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Northern Hibby is bang-on, you tackle the abuse by proving your critics wrong. It has been said many times before that confidence plays a big part in any good players game, and there is no doubt big Nish's is shot. There is no way he should be near the first-team at the moment. Yogi IMO seriously weakened the squad by his controversial moves, IE freeing Benji, Byrne out on loan ect. :rolleyes:

We have 3 further strikers who could not play Saturday as 2 injured and 1 suspended.......Wonder if all the ones applauding Deeks tackle in derby, will see the folly of his actions now, as we sorely missed him on Saturday?

Argylehibby
29-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks for that.

I still stand by what I said and if CC and our Captain blindly support players then the sparsley populated stands will be emptier week on week.

CC has to at some point say he and the players have to take responsibilty and he has to be blunt softly softly has repeatedly failed with this squad.

CC will get an easy ride as it is not his team but the way he sets them up is his responsibility.

Taking off Murray and leaving Rankin and De Graff on the pitch was baffling. Taking off your only fit striker for a 19yr old CH when you need a goal says all he thinks about Nish's performance.

Taking off Miller our only player on the park with any limited creativity was also baffling.

CC will have to make a stance soon or watch the dwindiling fans continue to slip away.

I would hope that he is being blunt with the players, the point I dont agree with is that he should be sharing those conversations with the fans. What is being said in the dressing room and on the training field should remain there and making it public would destroy any chance of getting improved performances from these players. Just because there isnt a public hanging doesnt mean that nothing is being done. (I admit it doent mean that something is being done either though)

On the substituions I would not have taken off Murray and I agree that Nish coming off for an untried central defender tells its own story.

LaMotta
29-11-2010, 02:33 PM
I would hope that he is being blunt with the players, the point I dont agree with is that he should be sharing those conversations with the fans. What is being said in the dressing room and on the training field should remain there and making it public would destroy any chance of getting improved performances from these players. Just because there isnt a public hanging doesnt mean that nothing is being done.

Well said. Anyone who fails to understand that is being a bit simple.

Walter
29-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I really don't see how he has slated the fans.

He has merely said it doesn't help anyone, and intimated that he would not like to be in big Nishy's position, knowing full well you haven't played well and having thousands of people reminding you of it.

However, I do feel he could have added that the fans gave superb support for 99.999% of the rest game. Again, this may be down the the line of questioning from the journalist.

basehibby
29-11-2010, 03:03 PM

What a load of absolute cobblers!

If CC was "having a go" at anyone then it was the morons who think it's a smart move to boo your own players - something I've never had any time for (even if Nish WAS having a nightmare game it's still very far from a productive thing to do).
If you happened to be one of these morons who boo'd Nish off the pitch then I find it frankly pathetic that you can't take back a bit of what you were dishing out with impunity.
About the only excuse that holds any water for booing and stuff (even if it's not a very convincing one) is the right to express an opinion. Well that rubs both ways don't you think???

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 03:14 PM

If CC was "having a go" at anyone then it was the morons who think it's a smart move to boo your own players - something I've never had any time for (even if Nish WAS having a nightmare game it's still very far from a productive thing to do).
If you happened to be one of these morons who boo'd Nish off the pitch then I find it frankly pathetic that you can't take back a bit of what you were dishing out with impunity.
About the only excuse that holds any water for booing and stuff (even if it's not a very convincing one) is the right to express an opinion. Well that rubs both ways don't you think???

Cant argue with a lot of that BUT CC should have praised the fans for sticking with the team for so long and creating an atmosphere despite the dreadful performance on the park. Nish and others deserved stick not sure many of the fans did.

As previously said CC embarassed Nish and dented his confidence far more than any booing by replacing him with a 19 yr old CH.

The one person who can turn this around is Nish I doubt he has the guts or stomach to do so. P.S. I really hope he can.

basehibby
29-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Re the bit in bold - fair enough, the fans WERE excelent on Sat - especially compared to recent times and given the dour fair on display on the pitch.
BUT - have you considered this? Maybe CC just thinks that's normal given his background in the game and maybe it IS what should be considered normal from a healthy football SUPPORT.

:top marks To the organisers of the singing section and more power to yer arm - but lets not complacently pat ourselves on the head too much - let saturday be a marker for what should be a normal atmosphere at ER and lets try and build on it from there!

Hibbie_Cameron
29-11-2010, 03:42 PM
When i left the ground on saturday it was not the excellent singing and atmosphere created that was at the front of my mind it was the fans booing and cheering sarcastically at nish.

I have stated on another thread that i think his time is up with us and that he maybe is not good enough but i would certainly never boo or even worse cheer him going off.

He was rightfully taken off and was likely embarrassed at being replaced by David Stephens. As Brockie said if Riordan had not recieved that stupid red card then Nish would never have been in that situation on saturday.

Some folk on here take great delight at seeing the Yams boo there own yet in some instances we are not much better ourselves

Albion Hibs
29-11-2010, 04:04 PM

Agreed mate, dont understand why it would be seen as shameful to show support to one of our players. Said it before and I will say it again, we give our own players a harder time than the opposition ones.

As for Murray and Colin coming out and having ago at those fans, I am delighted with it, shows a captain sticking up for him team mate and a manager sticking up for his player - again why anyone would think that is wrong is beyond me. I am sure there are many a "fan" on here, at games that would actually like these guys to come out and have a go at Nishy.

Poor display on Saturday from Nish - it was not the best. As for the treatment he got, bang out of order. A bit harsh going for a player that did not win every ball that was played a foot over his head, three feet either side of him - truly terrible! Just out of interest what players were working around him to do anything in the event he won the ball, or did the majority expect him to win it, skin the defender and score? Did not see Grounds getting the same abuse for his performance nor Galbraith, which by the way where both miles worse than Nish. The service he receives is nothing short of abysmal, no doubt he can do better, but were do you draw the line for him then look to his fellow attacking players – Rankin, Miller and of course Galbraith?

As for his 95% of fans comment, I did not think it was that accurate before, going by the stuff on this board I have read over the past few months, I am starting to think he has gone a bit on the low side.

Kato
29-11-2010, 04:21 PM

None of those players are Calderwood's.

Publicly assessing them isn't something we're entitled to - only a very foolish manager would slate the players at his disposal.

Taking off Murray and leaving Rankin and De Graff on the pitch was baffling.

Maybe Murray was knackered - he had certainly ran more than any other Hibs player.

On the subject of booing our own, all it does is help the opposition. I effects all the players not just the target of the abuse.

Part/Time Supporter
29-11-2010, 04:27 PM
None of those players are Calderwood's.

Publicly assessing them isn't something we're entitled to - only a very foolish manager would slate the players at his disposal.

That's what Mowbray was doing last season at Celtc, even though they got off to a reasonable start (better than this season at this point). He then got rid of many of those players (eg McManus) during January and their form fell off a cliff afterwards.

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Agreed mate, dont understand why it would be seen as shameful to show support to one of our players. Said it before and I will say it again, we give our own players a harder time than the opposition ones.

As for Murray and Colin coming out and having ago at those fans, I am delighted with it, shows a captain sticking up for him team mate and a manager sticking up for his player - again why anyone would think that is wrong is beyond me. I am sure there are many a "fan" on here, at games that would actually like these guys to come out and have a go at Nishy.

Poor display on Saturday from Nish - it was not the best. As for the treatment he got, bang out of order. A bit harsh going for a player that did not win every ball that was played a foot over his head, three feet either side of him - truly terrible! Just out of interest what players were working around him to do anything in the event he won the ball, or did the majority expect him to win it, skin the defender and score? Did not see Grounds getting the same abuse for his performance nor Galbraith, which by the way where both miles worse than Nish. The service he receives is nothing short of abysmal, no doubt he can do better, but were do you draw the line for him then look to his fellow attacking players – Rankin, Miller and of course Galbraith?

As for his 95% of fans comment, I did not think it was that accurate before, going by the stuff on this board I have read over the past few months, I am starting to think he has gone a bit on the low side.

And that probably says more about you. :greengrin

The reason Nish gets more stick than Grounds for example is -

Nish is a very experienced player top 10 all time scorer in SPL and his performances for the best part of a year have been DIRE.
When a team is struggling seasoned Pro's should be turning things around not being one of the root causes of the problem.

Yogi stood up for his players never slated them always said he could not ask for more. Sorry he should not have asked for more he should have DEMANDED more.

If CC and Murray blindly support players the crowds will continue to drop. Supporting players is good BUT there comes at time when you sound like The Iraqi General Chemical Ali.

Eventually you have to say what Everyone can see.

And as I said before if the crowd had rose to their feet to applaud Nish as he went off Sarcasim is the lowest form of wit.

Barney McGrew
29-11-2010, 04:36 PM
If CC and Murray blindly support players the crowds will continue to drop.

When exactly have they blindly supported players?

Albion Hibs
29-11-2010, 04:44 PM

Nish is a very experienced player top 10 all time scorer in SPL and his performances for the best part of a year have been DIRE.
When a team is struggling seasoned Pro's should be turning things around not being one of the root causes of the problem.

Yogi stood up for his players never slated them always said he could not ask for more. Sorry he should not have asked for more he should have DEMANDED more.

If CC and Murray blindly support players the crowds will continue to drop. Supporting players is good BUT there comes at time when you sound like The Iraqi General Chemical Ali.

And as I said before if the crowd had rose to their feet to applaud Nish as he went off Sarcasim is the lowest form of wit.

The lowest form of wit -that would be terrible, far worse than your manager and captain coming out in the paper and hammering you.

I would be surprised if joe average sitting in the stand saw more than professional footballers / managers, therefore I dont think they are doing anything blindly. Surely you are not saying that you can assess and judge a player better than they can?

Taking saturdays performance from Nish, he could have won every ball, it would not have mattered as players like Galbraith and surprising Rankin disappeared from the first minute till the last. There is nowhere near the amount of stick for Galbraith. As for Stephens were did the headers he won go - nowhere, so quite where that gets us I dont know, if winning the header is all that matters to the crowd then maybe we are easier pleased than I thought.

Fact of the matter for me is that I like that both of them have come out in support, I am sure they will both be pushing him to ram it up the boo boys this weekend, and I would love him to do that.

Whilst Nish does have a good record in terms of goals that says more about Hibs than it does him. He never played as a target man at Killie scored a good number of goals. Plays as a target man at Hibs does not contribute the same number of goals, have anywhere near as much success at Hibs. So is it him, was he not actually producing on the goal front before, or is it the role we are asking him to play?

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 04:48 PM
When exactly have they blindly supported players?

Sorry if I am wrong but I thought they were quoted as saying the fans should support Colin he is trying his best etc If that is wrong sorry. This supporting a guy that is on a 9 month run of poor form there comes atime you have to acknowledge there is a problem not only with the fans.

I would have preffered they had said Colin is having a difficult time things have not gone his way and it is understandable fans are frustrated because I know Colin definately is, I hope the fans stick with him and he can turn it around. We will continue to work hard and I am sure Colin will put in the effort at training that can improve our performances.

Rather than ignoring what all can see the Man is having a VERY long run of poor form. I think the problem must acknowledged so it can be addressed. Yogi failed hopefully CC can get Colin playing.

tamig
29-11-2010, 04:51 PM

I think you're over-reacting. You're quite clearly no Nish fan but what good is booig the guy doing? I think the boo boys get all they deserve and the manager and players are perfectly entitled to have a pop back imo. Certainly won't get any complaints from me if I think it's justified. The booing on Saturday was a disgrace and it's something that's sadly becoming a regular feature down ER way. Definitely not my idea of backing the team.

You can sing all you want but lets leave the booing out of it please.

Twa Cairpets
29-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Why?

What benefit would it do the club, the fans, the player or the rest of the staff? What possible positive would come from a manager slating him in public? On a personal level and a professional level it would be an appaling thing for CC to do - the very least a player can expect is public backing from his manager unless he has done something heinous like spitting at an opponent or blatant cheating. A player haing a run of poor performances I'm sorry just doesnt come into this category.

By ripping into him in public all that would happen is that he would lose the trust of every other player - he would not gain any respect. In private thats a different matter, but he certainly shouldnt be slated to satisfy the boo boys.

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 04:56 PM
The lowest form of wit -that would be terrible, far worse than your manager and captain coming out in the paper and hammering you.

I would be surprised if joe average sitting in the stand saw more than professional footballers / managers, therefore I dont think they are doing anything blindly. Surely you are not saying that you can assess and judge a player better than they can?

Taking saturdays performance from Nish, he could have won every ball, it would not have mattered as players like Galbraith and surprising Rankin disappeared from the first minute till the last. There is nowhere near the amount of stick for Galbraith. As for Stephens were did the headers he won go - nowhere, so quite where that gets us I dont know, if winning the header is all that matters to the crowd then maybe we are easier pleased than I thought.

Fact of the matter for me is that I like that both of them have come out in support, I am sure they will both be pushing him to ram it up the boo boys this weekend, and I would love him to do that.

Whilst Nish does have a good record in terms of goals that says more about Hibs than it does him. He never played as a target man at Killie scored a good number of goals. Plays as a target man at Hibs does not contribute the same number of goals, have anywhere near as much success at Hibs. So is it him, was he not actually producing on the goal front before, or is it the role we are asking him to play?

So I am right in saying Yogi and CC have no idea how to get the best out of Nish? Yogi had 9 months to turn it around and failed so either he had no clue or the players were simply under performing.

I would never dare say I can spot what is happening better than our managers I can however see a player who is perfoming woefully and looks terrified of the ball and seems to fall when the ball comes near him. I also know the YOGI approach of total support failed so a different approach may be required.

Only my opinion I dont know best.

tamig
29-11-2010, 05:01 PM
:top marks To the organisers of the singing section and more power to yer arm - but lets not complacently pat ourselves on the head too much - let saturday be a marker for what should be a normal atmosphere at ER and lets try and build on it from there!

Is it just me or does anyone else not find it very sad that we have to pin our hopes on this singing section to generate a wee bit of atmosphere? It doesn't seem that long ago that the atmosphere was always great at ER - and generated from many parts of the ground.

Removed
29-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else not find it very sad that we have to pin our hopes on this singing section to generate a wee bit of atmosphere? It doesn't seem that long ago that the atmosphere was always great at ER - and generated from many parts of the ground.

Is it not the case that most grounds are like that and have a section where all the bams sit and most of the singing starts?

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Why?

What benefit would it do the club, the fans, the player or the rest of the staff? What possible positive would come from a manager slating him in public? On a personal level and a professional level it would be an appaling thing for CC to do - the very least a player can expect is public backing from his manager unless he has done something heinous like spitting at an opponent or blatant cheating. A player haing a run of poor performances I'm sorry just doesnt come into this category.

By ripping into him in public all that would happen is that he would lose the trust of every other player - he would not gain any respect. In private thats a different matter, but he certainly shouldnt be slated to satisfy the boo boys.

Who asked for him to be slatted or ripped ?
A simple acknowledgement by CC saying I know what needs to be done I appreciate fans frustrations, the team are on a poor run and there is lots of room for improvement etc etc No Ripping No Slatting simply let people know you are aware and are working on it.

Yogi was slatted on here for constantly repeating himself unable to acknowledge the problems and incapable of change he was sacked.

Dinkydoo
29-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Nish can defend himself !!!

The Evening News and or Radio would be falling over thamselves to get an interview with him, he has an agent who can get his point of view across.

Nish has nothing to say on the matter as defending indefencible is very difficult.

Nish CAN change this
1. Buy new boots ones with studs.
2. Train harder get fitter. Stop huffing and puffing after 30 mins.
3. Your a Big Man stand up for yourself dont get pushed around. Players much smaller than Nish compete.
4. Come out and say you are disappointed and understand fans frustration after 9 months of dross.
5. Dont say 95% ohf Hibs fans dont know what they are talking about.
6. Stay on side and score the odd goal.

That could turn things around.

Sorry, I thought you were one of the posters on here saying "how dare the manager have a go at the fans." and then go onto say "The players can strike if they can.".

That is why I thought it didn't make sense, my mistake. :greengrin

marinello59
29-11-2010, 05:23 PM
A simple acknowledgement by CC saying I know what needs to be done I appreciate fans frustrations, the team are on a poor run and there is lots of room for improvement etc etc No Ripping No Slatting simply let people know you are aware and are working on it.

Yogi was slatted on here for constantly repeating himself unable to acknowledge the problems and incapable of change he was sacked.

Does anybody here realistically need to be told that by our new manager? Anybody? No doubt he would be slated for stating the bleeding obvious if he came out with that. How many times do we get threads started complaining that the same old platitudes are being rolled out but the minute a manager dares to be honest he gets it in the neck. No wonder the official communications from the club are usually pretty bland fare.

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Does anybody here realistically need to be told that by our new manager? Anybody? No doubt he would be slated for stating the bleeding obvious if he came out with that. How many times do we get threads started complaining that the same old platitudes are being rolled out but the minute a manager dares to be honest he gets it in the neck. No wonder the official communications from the club are usually pretty bland fare.

Yeah better ignoring it and saying the fans should get behind a player that has shown little effort, commitment, skill or ability for months.

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Sorry, I thought you were one of the posters on here saying "how dare the manager have a go at the fans." and then go onto say "The players can strike if they can.".

That is why I thought it didn't make sense, my mistake. :greengrin

I am not having a go at CC I dont think he had a big rant at the fans he only answered a question, I think he could have answered it better.

If Nish thinks the fans are on his case he should be allowed to strike, no probs with that at all. It would be interesting to see who would take him on after a hisssy fit. :greengrin

marinello59
29-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Yeah better ignoring it and saying the fans should get behind a player that has shown little effort, commitment, skill or ability for months.

Maybe he should run his comments past you first? :wink:

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Maybe he should run his comments past you first? :wink:

Well at least it would mean this board would not be clogged up with my nonsense posts :greengrin

marinello59
29-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Well at least it would mean this board would not be clogged up with my nonsense posts :greengrin

:greengrin

Barney McGrew
29-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Sorry if I am wrong but I thought they were quoted as saying the fans should support Colin he is trying his best etc If that is wrong sorry

Maybe you should read the actual quotes before you go getting all outraged about them then?

"I think there is a fear he could start to think 'I don't need this' and I couldn't blame him at times," said Murray "Don't get me wrong, Nishy will be the first to hold his hands up and, like everybody else, say he's had a terrible game"

"It's something you don't want and I've got a lot of sympathy for big Colin," said Calderwood. "We've got to be careful how we go about supporting our team on occasions. There's a balance, there's dissatisfaction from our performance and an individual, but you've got to be careful you don't cross the line where it affects the club"

Albion Hibs
29-11-2010, 05:53 PM
So I am right in saying Yogi and CC have no idea how to get the best out of Nish? Yogi had 9 months to turn it around and failed so either he had no clue or the players were simply under performing.

I would never dare say I can spot what is happening better than our managers I can however see a player who is perfoming woefully and looks terrified of the ball and seems to fall when the ball comes near him. I also know the YOGI approach of total support failed so a different approach may be required.

Only my opinion I dont know best.

I dont think you right in saying they dont know how to get the best out of them. I think that yogi noted he was not a target man, hence the reason he probably sought trackys to play that role and let Nish play off him. I would think that is how CC would choice to play him. A bit like when we had Stokes he was generally tasked with holding up the ball, as was Fletch.

Whilst people may say he has been minging for 9 months he scored a reasonable number of goals last season, playing in a role off the target man.

I would never disagree with the strongest of nish critics that says he cant hold the ball up, I would agree. But i do think he can score goals playing outside of the target man role and i think if given the chance he will.

He is playing in a thankless role, a role that he has never been good at tasked with elsewhere, yet he does not seem to moan, but gets on with it regardless of the abuse he takes from the stand.

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=simply the best;2650163]I am not having a go at CC I dont think he had a big rant at the fans he only answered a question, I think he could have answered it better.

I was not all outraged see above.

Sammy7nil
29-11-2010, 05:57 PM
I dont think you right in saying they dont know how to get the best out of them. I think that yogi noted he was not a target man, hence the reason he probably sought trackys to play that role and let Nish play off him. I would think that is how CC would choice to play him. A bit like when we had Stokes he was generally tasked with holding up the ball, as was Fletch.

Whilst people may say he has been minging for 9 months he scored a reasonable number of goals last season, playing in a role off the target man.

I would never disagree with the strongest of nish critics that says he cant hold the ball up, I would agree. But i do think he can score goals playing outside of the target man role and i think if given the chance he will.

He is playing in a thankless role, a role that he has never been good at tasked with elsewhere, yet he does not seem to moan, but gets on with it regardless of the abuse he takes from the stand.

Fair enough, but I do think you are being kind to Yogi, I think Trakys was a panic buy after Hibs sold Stokes.

Albion Hibs
29-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Fair enough, but I do think you are being kind to Yogi, I think Trakys was a panic buy after Hibs sold Stokes.

You all know how much I like yogi!! I think he probably was a panic buy, but one to fill that role. I still maintain that Trakys, Nish and Riordan playing at the same time could produce decent results. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Perhaps we should send all the booers out to east mains to clear the pitches of snow as punishment!

RIP
29-11-2010, 11:58 PM

In the old East the Singing came from the Gantry section

Before that it was the Shed

Were you referring to the 1950's?

--------
30-11-2010, 12:39 AM

Excuse me, but just how exactly does CC go about "slatting" Nish? Or any other player, come to that? I've heard of managers "slating" players, but "slatting" them? My dictionary defines a "slat" as "a thin narrow piece of wood, plastic or metal, especially used in an overlapping series as in a fence or a Venetian blind".

I think of CC were to tear his office blinds to shreds and started hitting Nish with the slats, the Players' Union would have something to say about it. The Polis might even be inclined to lay criminal charges. :rolleyes:

Right now CC has a very limited range of options available to him - the limited choice of players bequeathed to him by John Hughes. There are a lot of things needing put right at ER, and players will leave in January and at the season's end, and others will arrive (I hope) to replace them - better players.

However, I cannot for the life of me see how anyone can expect any player to play better under the hail of boos and obscene abuse Colin Nish has to put up with at times.

Nor can I fathom how the very people who abuse him can THEN expect him to "play for the shirt" - the shirt they themselves are wearing while vomiting their vileness and bile at the man.

Manager, coaches and players often have to close ranks against the abuse of the opposition supporters; only at ER has the vilification of our OWN players been elevated into an art form.

The anger and bile levelled at Hibs players by Hibs supporters speaks only about the poverty and inadequacy of those supporters' lives, and the nasty, twisted mentality with which they live those lives.

I've said it often before - there are many times when I cannot imagine why anyone would want to come to play football for Hibernian FC.

And we have such a high opinion of ourselves and of our club. :bitchy:

Cameron1875
30-11-2010, 01:49 AM
Was cringing at some of the support when Nish was taking off on Saturday.

Didn't surprise me though... We've had it all before.... Van Zanten, O'Brien, Ormen, Konte etc etc. Who's next?:rolleyes:

And what do those players have in common... they are all bloomin useless.
I hate seeing hibs having to resort to playing players of this standard so i can understand why some fans feel the need to air their displeasure because it seems they play most weeks (see Rankin and Hogg)

Surely people knew Van Zanten was useless but he got 30 games for the club. Obrien got 47 games for us. I dont want that quality of player at Easter Road but it seems at times the only way to get that across to the manager is verbally.

Many will disagree but its just horrible to see hibs decline when these jokers rack up so many matches for the club.

marinello59
30-11-2010, 06:59 AM
And what do those players have in common... they are all bloomin useless.
I hate seeing hibs having to resort to playing players of this standard so i can understand why some fans feel the need to air their displeasure because it seems they play most weeks (see Rankin and Hogg)

Surely people knew Van Zanten was useless but he got 30 games for the club. Obrien got 47 games for us. I dont want that quality of player at Easter Road but it seems at times the only way to get that across to the manager is verbally.

Many will disagree but its just horrible to see hibs decline when these jokers rack up so many matches for the club.

We have a new manager, do you think he needs the boos to tell him his job? He can't do anything until the transfer window, shouldn't we be getting behind what we have for now?

whiskyhibby
30-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Personally, I think it's embarrassing and cringeworthy when Hibs supporters boo or jeer their own.

If you're not man enough to take a little bit of mild criticism then don't dish it out. This is similar to fans who spent 90 minutes abusing a player, his mother, his missus, his kids, his sexuality and his background before going apoplectic when he scores against us and gives us the 'shhhh' gesture.

Absolutely spot on What gives anybody or any group to be beyond criticism? and some of the stuff levelled at Nish such as booing/ cheering is not something I would want to see repeated in a hurry no matter how frustrating he can be at times

bighairyfaeleith
30-11-2010, 08:27 AM
The bottom line is that while Nish is clearly not good enough, calderwoods options up front last week where limited to the extreme with riordan and trakys out so he had no option. I'm prepared to accept nish getting played until CC has a choice and can make a real change.

Baldy Foghorn
30-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Excuse me, but just how exactly does CC go about "slatting" Nish? Or any other player, come to that? I've heard of managers "slating" players, but "slatting" them? My dictionary defines a "slat" as "a thin narrow piece of wood, plastic or metal, especially used in an overlapping series as in a fence or a Venetian blind".

I think of CC were to tear his office blinds to shreds and started hitting Nish with the slats, the Players' Union would have something to say about it. The Polis might even be inclined to lay criminal charges. :rolleyes:

Right now CC has a very limited range of options available to him - the limited choice of players bequeathed to him by John Hughes. There are a lot of things needing put right at ER, and players will leave in January and at the season's end, and others will arrive (I hope) to replace them - better players.

However, I cannot for the life of me see how anyone can expect any player to play better under the hail of boos and obscene abuse Colin Nish has to put up with at times.

Nor can I fathom how the very people who abuse him can THEN expect him to "play for the shirt" - the shirt they themselves are wearing while vomiting their vileness and bile at the man.

Manager, coaches and players often have to close ranks against the abuse of the opposition supporters; only at ER has the vilification of our OWN players been elevated into an art form.

The anger and bile levelled at Hibs players by Hibs supporters speaks only about the poverty and inadequacy of those supporters' lives, and the nasty, twisted mentality with which they live those lives.

I've said it often before - there are many times when I cannot imagine why anyone would want to come to play football for Hibernian FC.

And we have such a high opinion of ourselves and of our club. :bitchy:

Well said:top marks

Baldy Foghorn
30-11-2010, 08:57 AM
We have a new manager, do you think he needs the boos to tell him his job? He can't do anything until the transfer window, shouldn't we be getting behind what we have for now?

Exactly, CC knows the task ahead, and let him make his mark come the transfer window.....:agree:

Absolutely spot on What gives anybody or any group to be beyond criticism? and some of the stuff levelled at Nish such as booing/ cheering is not something I would want to see repeated in a hurry no matter how frustrating he can be at times

People have audacity to boo, then don't like criticism being aimed back at them, double standards......

The bottom line is that while Nish is clearly not good enough, calderwoods options up front last week where limited to the extreme with riordan and trakys out so he had no option. I'm prepared to accept nish getting played until CC has a choice and can make a real change.

Let's give ALL players the support they deserve when they pull on the famous green jersey, any booer's should be publicly hung IMO:wink: Support the team and hopefully results will follow, but they wont if the players are too scared to make a mistake and incur the wrath of the boo boys

MB62
30-11-2010, 09:02 AM

Obviously you could not be bothered reading everything on this thread or you would realise that is not the case.
Again, you have obviously missed the whole point of what I was trying to say, so for your benifit and any others, here goes again.

In what was one of the worst, most boringly inept performances from a Hibs team for many a year, the Hibs support tried their damndest to liven things up anf got behind the team for the largest part of the game, they were quite simply FANtastic.
Just before Nish was subbed, when he fell on his backside for the umpteenth time, there was the odd 'fan'? who thought it was appropriate to Boo the big (I'll say it again for you I WAS NOT ONE OF THOSE GUYS).
It was one poor incident from some of the fans in what was a FANtastic effort during the 90 minutes of the game.

My question/anger/frustration (call it what you like) is, why did the manager and captain feel it necessary to concentrate their comment on that one wee negative from the support when there was an obvious far bigger positive that could have been commented on if that is what they wanted to do.

We all know Nish has his limitations, and he was left to get on with it on his own on Saturday. We all know it is poor show to boo or abuse ANY of our players, but if it is felt necessary to comment on the support, then please don't just single out the negative aspect of it, we get plenty slagging amongst ourselves on here for doing that.

BTW, having supported Hibernians for almost 50 years, I can tell you now, that games against the so called lesser teams, the atmosphere has generally been crap to non existant, and goes back to the days of the old 'cow shed' and before. The support on Saturday was probably the best, or one of the best, I have ever heard for these type of games yet we are talking about ONE negative incident out of the 90 minutes.

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2010, 09:09 AM

If ever there was a sign you are not in the managers future plans, Nish got that message on Saturday. He was replaced by a 19 year old central defender, if that's not a sign, nothing is. CC's options are limited, and he can do nothing until either Duffy gets fit, or January comes.

Personally I'd prefer he waited until the summer, perhaps a couple of loan players to help us through to May, and got the players he really wants, rather than any panic buys that are available in January.

Whatever happens, we should all get behind all the players that are picked each week.

Hibbyradge
30-11-2010, 09:26 AM
If ever there was a sign you are not in the managers future plans, Nish got that message on Saturday. He was replaced by a 19 year old central defender, if that's not a sign, nothing is.

That wasn't my reading of what happened on Saturday.

I thought Nish was brought off, partly because he was having a poor game, but also to protect him from the abuse.

Regardless of what he'd ideally want, Nish will only become surplus to CC's plans when a better alternative becomes available.

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2010, 09:29 AM

I thought Nish was brought off, partly because he was having a poor game, but also to protect him from the abuse.

Regardless of what he'd ideally want, Nish will only become surplus to CC's plans when a better alternative becomes available.

Fair enough Dave, was the abuse bad? I only listened to the radio, and it was not apparent from that?

Hibbyradge
30-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Fair enough Dave, was the abuse bad? I only listened to the radio, and it was not apparent from that?

I guess it depends on your interpretation of the word "bad", but the fans had started to get on his back a while earlier and after another couple of mis-controls and stumbles, the howling was getting louder and embarrassing.

Nish's performance is never put in context, though. Murray got pass marks cos he tried and Bamba showed some glimpses of confidence and skill, but no-one played well.

Worst on the park for me was Grounds. He couldn't mark, run or pass and he didn't want the ball, but the boo boys didn't seem to notice (thankfully).

Don't get me wrong, Nish was poor, but so was everyone else.

However, CC is right to ask the fans to tone down their criticism. We shouldn't be ruining a Hibs player's confidence at the best of times, but when we don't have many options up front, doing so is extremely short sighted, imo.

Gettin' Auld
30-11-2010, 10:30 AM
The team back Nishy.......Edwin's Thoughts (http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/de-graaf-calls-hibernian-boo-boys-lay-nish-1286991)

Removed
30-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Worst on the park for me was Grounds. He couldn't mark, run or pass and he didn't want the ball, but the boo boys didn't seem to notice (thankfully).

I had a very vocal boo boy behind me who noticed :grr: My auld man wasn't best pleased when I turned round and told him to shut it :greengrin

WindyMiller
30-11-2010, 12:09 PM
post 8

i noticed this in the scotsman this morning but, imo, it doesn't reflect the interview cc made after the match.
He simply states he felt sorry for nish as he felt he did his best, but that the booing of a player could have a negative effect on the rest of the team and club.

No heed to get :grr: Mb.

obviously you could not be bothered reading everything on this thread or you would realise that is not the case.
again, you have obviously missed the whole point of what i was trying to say, so for your benifit and any others, here goes again.

In what was one of the worst, most boringly inept performances from a hibs team for many a year, the hibs support tried their damndest to liven things up anf got behind the team for the largest part of the game, they were quite simply fantastic.
Just before nish was subbed, when he fell on his backside for the umpteenth time, there was the odd 'fan'? Who thought it was appropriate to boo the big (i'll say it again for you i was not one of those guys).
It was one poor incident from some of the fans in what was a fantastic effort during the 90 minutes of the game.

My question/anger/frustration (call it what you like) is, why did the manager and captain feel it necessary to concentrate their comment on that one wee negative from the support when there was an obvious far bigger positive that could have been commented on if that is what they wanted to do.

We all know nish has his limitations, and he was left to get on with it on his own on saturday. We all know it is poor show to boo or abuse any of our players, but if it is felt necessary to comment on the support, then please don't just single out the negative aspect of it, we get plenty slagging amongst ourselves on here for doing that.

Btw, having supported hibernians for almost 50 years, i can tell you now, that games against the so called lesser teams, the atmosphere has generally been crap to non existant, and goes back to the days of the old 'cow shed' and before. The support on saturday was probably the best, or one of the best, i have ever heard for these type of games yet we are talking about one negative incident out of the 90 minutes.

Sammy7nil
30-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Sorry Doddie

I was not aware this was a spelling comp now I know I will trryy hrder :greengrin

Hibbyradge
30-11-2010, 03:07 PM

IIRC, Duffy was Stokes replacement.

Trakys was bought when Duffy was injured.

NAE NOOKIE
30-11-2010, 03:54 PM
I feel we shouldnt over react to what IM and CC had to say. Perhaps they felt it was good for team spirit to defend Nishy, but in reality they will both know he was poor on Saturday and I guess when January and the following transfer window have come and gone getting booed by the fans will be the least of Nishy's problems.

I take no pleasure in that because I want everybody in a Hibs shirt to be a raging success, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

What is important is that in these tough times on and off the park the fans of this club stick by it in the hope that things will pick up and the missing fans come back to games.

tamig
03-12-2010, 07:04 PM
In the old East the Singing came from the Gantry section

Before that it was the Shed

Were you referring to the 1950's?

I was under the gantry in the East. Wasn't born in the 50s. Can you not remember the old North stand? They used to give it a fair old belt in their day before the new West was built. I just don't get this singing section lark at all tbh.

jgl07
03-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I am going to boo MB62 at every possible opportunity.

Booooooooooooo!

Luna_Asylum
03-12-2010, 10:45 PM

manager takes off player to protect him from fans abuse? unlikely