PDA

View Full Version : Roll On Next Season - lack of quality in the squad (merged)

new malkyhib
27-11-2010, 06:12 PM
ONE corner, and that after 86 minutes, and two shots on target?

It's a transitional (copyright Hibs FC) season mind you, eh?

RickyS
27-11-2010, 06:26 PM

seems we are always looking to the next transfer window for the answers, i asked the guy sitting next to me if Calderwood should be getting more from them, ie what Brown did at Motherwell pretty quickly. his answer was that we are asking him to polish a turd. summed it up pretty well for me:greengrin

I'm_cabbaged
27-11-2010, 06:45 PM

One of them must of been when I went for a fag, the one I saw was EDG on 38 mins (took a note of the time 'cause the game was that bad), what was the other one? :confused:

Davy Mac
27-11-2010, 06:49 PM
One of them must of been when I went for a fag, the one I saw was EDG on 38 mins (took a note of the time 'cause the game was that bad), what was the other one? :confused:

That clock wasnae half slow today..........jeezo:greengrin

DaveF
27-11-2010, 07:01 PM

De Graaf had another shot in the 2nd half. A daisy cutter into the keeper's arms after nutmegging a St J player.

The lack of quality (from both teams) was quite something to see - or not!

matty_f
27-11-2010, 07:03 PM
De Graaf had another shot in the 2nd half. A daisy cutter into the keeper's arms after nutmegging a St J player.

The game was laughably bad today, I'm sure I'm not alone in this but I had to jump through hoops to get there today, arrived after 7 minutes and spent the remaining hour and a half wondering why I had bothered.

The keepers could have joined the refs on strike today and it would still have finished goalless.

skipster7
27-11-2010, 07:04 PM

back in the car craig paterson said "this games on BBC ALBA later but i would strongly recommend not watching it":greengrin

Riordans Boots
27-11-2010, 07:06 PM
The game was laughably bad today, I'm sure I'm not alone in this but I had to jump through hoops to get there today, arrived after 7 minutes and spent the remaining hour and a half wondering why I had bothered.

The keepers could have joined the refs on strike today and it would still have finished goalless.

:agree: :top marks

Expecting Rain
28-11-2010, 09:38 AM
After watching a horrendous match at ER yesterday and the evidence suggested you couldn`t pick a five side between us and St Johnstone it would appear that Calderwood has a monumental task, the majority of players can`t hold a position, won`t move into a decent position and generally make the game up as they go along.
I always thought that you should enjoy the position you are playing in and see it as a challenge rather than something to fear, if the players can`t enjoy it what chance have the rest of us got.
We`ve got an excellent stadium with a massive pitch but no width in the team and a centre forward who is chicken hearted and a left sided midfielder who runs about like a headless chicken, it was baltic yesterday and the final straw was the substitution of Stevenson for Miller, explain that one to me?
I was informed by one of the posters last week that De Graff was a good player, for who.................................:taxi

Hibbyradge
28-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Agreed, (mostly!) although I don't think we needed yesterday's game to come to that conclusion.

I said after the Hearts match that Calderwood's task was to keep us in the SPL until the end of the season and build his own team from there.

Nothing has happened to change that view. When I saw the team yesterday, I suggested that a scoreless draw was the best we could have hoped for with the personnel available. In that respect, we actually succeeded and I'm content enough with a point. Considering Yogi's final straw was a 2 - 0 reverse at Perth only 8 weeks ago, I bet CC is happy enough too.

With only the occasional exception, we will always only be able to afford average players at Hibs, but with the right team spirit and ethos, we should still be able to hold our own in this league.

However, the current crop of players seem to have no desire. They look like they're waiting for something to happen rather than taking responsibility and making it happen. Murray received a lot of plaudits yesterday because he actually looked like they were trying. That's all it takes. He didn't actually play particularly well, he just looked like he wanted to win.

Because of Yogi's contract management, (by design or by good fortune) Claderwood will be in a fantastic position come the summer. He'll be able to empty pretty much a full squad of players, at no cost to Hibs, and this will allow him to build his own team much quicker than is usually the case for new managers.

Having said that, next season will still be one of transition so I won't be expecting consistency and success just yet. Real progress to me will be if we see a closely bonded unit on the park, who collectively show that they want to win and spare no effort attempting to do so. That will be enough.

Sir David Gray
28-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Agreed, (mostly!) although I don't think we needed yesterday's game to come to that conclusion.

I said after the Hearts match that Calderwood's task was to keep us in the SPL until the end of the season and build his own team from there.

Nothing has happened to change that view. When I saw the team yesterday, I suggested that a scoreless draw was the best we could have hoped for with the personnel available. In that respect, we actually succeeded and I'm content enough with a point. Considering Yogi's final straw was a 2 - 0 reverse at Perth only 8 weeks ago, I bet CC is happy enough too.

With only the occasional exception, we will always only be able to afford average players at Hibs, but with the right team spirit and ethos, we should still be able to hold our own in this league.

However, the current crop of players seem to have no desire. They look like they're waiting for something to happen rather than taking responsibility and making it happen. Murray received a lot of plaudits yesterday because he actually looked like they were trying. That's all it takes. He didn't actually play particularly well, he just looked like he wanted to win.

Because of Yogi's contract management, (by design or by good fortune) Claderwood will be in a fantastic position come the summer. He'll be able to empty pretty much a full squad of players, at no cost to Hibs, and this will allow him to build his own team much quicker than is usually the case for new managers.

Having said that, next season will still be one of transition so I won't be expecting consistency and success just yet. Real progress to me will be if we see a closely bonded unit on the park, who collectively show that they want to win and spare no effort attempting to do so. That will be enough.

That is the one thing that gives me a lot of hope for next season and I wish the season finished tomorrow.

Out of the players who featured yesterday, hardly any of them will be playing for Hibs on the opening day of next season.

Brown-YES

Hart-YES
Dickoh-POSSIBLY
Bamba-NO
Grounds-NO

de Graaf-YES
Miller-HOPE SO BUT PROBABLY NOT
Rankin-NO
Galbraith-NO
Murray-YES

Nish-NO

SUBS

Stevenson-NO
Wotherspoon-YES
Stephens-YES

Of the 14 players who made an appearance for Hibs yesterday, in my opinion, only 6 of them will definitely be part of the Hibs squad for next season.

Calderwood has a huge job on his hands in trying to get a strong squad together for next season but it is made slightly easier by the fact that so many are out of contract in the summer.

Expecting Rain
28-11-2010, 10:44 AM

Good post mate, saw yesterdays game as a consequence of the previous game at Inverness where it seemed all you had to do was pop the ball into the box against us to create a decent scoring chance, i understood the need to address that problem and we did to a certain extent, it would be difficult to persuade people to watch that kind of performance for the rest of the season though.
The dilemma for me as a pay at the gate supporter, follower, whatever you want to call it is to make the decision to either follow this campaign blindly or to wait till players like Zemmama and hopefully a rejuvenated Duffy return with the addition of a couple of much needed arrivals in january.

BEEJ
28-11-2010, 10:51 AM
:confused: Could you define 'hold our own'? Sounds like you're saying that on our finances we should be able to finish anywhere between 5th and 9th.

If the likes of ICT and Motherwell can play the way they can with a fair degree of consistency and on a much smaller player budget than Hibs, then we really must be setting our sights higher - on a consistent finish in the top four or five of the SPL. It can be done.

That, after all, is the source of the frustration. If our player budget was the 8th or 9th highest in the league, most of us would just accept the performances since February as 'to be expected'.

Part/Time Supporter
28-11-2010, 11:28 AM
:confused: Could you define 'hold our own'? Sounds like you're saying that on our finances we should be able to finish anywhere between 5th and 9th.

If the likes of ICT and Motherwell can play the way they can with a fair degree of consistency and on a much smaller player budget than Hibs, then we really must be setting our sights higher - on a consistent finish in the top four or five of the SPL. It can be done.

That, after all, is the source of the frustration. If our player budget was the 8th or 9th highest in the league, most of us would just accept the performances since February as 'to be expected'.

Maybe its like the old Mowbray-ism, "win more than we lose".

:greengrin

I agree with Radge's sentiments though, Hibs were in big trouble when Yogi was "mutually consented" and I think they would be significantly closer to the foot (if not adrift) if he had been left in situ. Calderwood has made some progress but Rome wasn't built in a day, yada yada.

Seriously though, you don't go from hardly keeping a clean sheet for months to doing it every other week overnight. The only one clean sheet I can recall under Yogi's descent was the Dundee United reserves match. They've already kept two under Calderwood, and were sucker punched at Tannadice for another. The complete lack of attacking options (wingers and strikers) Yogi left obviously necessitates a good defence more than ever.

Not that Hibs shouldn't have been looking to improve their defensive record anyway. I think Yogi glossed over a lot of the defensive boo-boos last season with the Keegan-esque attitude of "there's goals in the team", as if you're going to win 3-2 most weeks.

Hibbyradge
28-11-2010, 11:31 AM

I'm sorry that my choice of phrase confused you and I'm surprised that you interpreted it as you did.

My definition of Hibs "holding their own" is challenging for third place every season. Anything higher would be exceptional. 4th and 5th are acceptable and realistic albeit disappointing.

Finishing outside the top 6 should be seen as a failure.

This season, because of what went before, staying in the SPL is the priority and a top 6 finish would be a comparative success for Calderwood.

Granted, we might sign a couple of players in January, our crocked players may return and we may put together a few results which drive us further up the table. But I think that's me just getting stars in my eyes.

BEEJ
28-11-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm sorry that my choice of phrase confused you and I'm surprised that you interpreted it as you did.

My definition of Hibs "holding their own" is challenging for third place every season. Anything higher would be exceptional. 4th and 5th are acceptable and realistic albeit disappointing.

This season, because of what went before, staying in the SPL is the priority and a top 6 finish would be a comparative success for Calderwood.

Granted, we might sign a couple of players in January, our crocked players may return and we may put together a few results which drive us further up the table. But I think that's me just getting stars in my eyes.
Right. :aok: I don't disagree with any of that.

Sammy7nil
28-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Been supporting Hibs for over 40 years. I had no real desire to go yesterday for the first time in a long time.

The season is a right off already the only thing that could liven it up is if we got in a relegation fight.

There was not ONE player yesterday that I would want to watch regularly. (Maybe Bamba aside) The whole team lack quality we have two footballers at E.R. that can do different things and entertain Riordan and Zemmama when thet are not playing we are no better than Hamilton or St Mirren.

I cant see us getting better any time soon, it really makes you appreciate the McLeish and Mowbary teams. CC may well be the man to steady the ship but I think it will be a long time before we play quality football again.

Not sure why I started this thread I am just so frustrated by Hibs lack of quality, fight, desire and determination. Players seem to accept being out played by average teams and do not have the ability to change the course of games. (I know peeps will say Ibrox and Motherwell, But 2 performance in 35 is not good enough)

At the start of next season I would hope to see only the following players at ER from the current squad.

Brown
Smith

Stephens
Bamba (unlikely I know)
Dickov
Hart
Hanlon

Miller
Murray
Wetherspoon
Zemmama

Riordan

That is ten players and I feel I am being overly generous reaching 10. I see about 5 or 6 of them as squad players not 1st picks.

Lets get the broom out and have a real clean start.

Just very very fed up :boo hoo:

cocopops1875
28-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Brown as second choice
SmithWHY

Stephens would like to see more think he could be class
Bamba (unlikely I know)nearly no chance agree
Dickov has he come out of retirement :greengrin
Hart squad player
Hanlonwould like to see the lad come good

Miller with the right players round him could be our best player
Murray aye :agree:
Wetherspoon could be an amazing talent
Zemmama would you give him a new deal ?

Riordan aye :agree:

patlowe
28-11-2010, 04:06 PM
I feel exactly the same, never been so apathetic about hibs. I agree with the players you've listed but I would give Duffy the benefit of the doubt and Trakys probably deserves further consideration. However, I don't think any of the current players would be greatly missed and hopefully Calderwood is able to construct a squad which looks very different come next summer.

Sammy7nil
28-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Thx admin did not see this thread

Sammy7nil
28-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Brown as second choice
SmithWHY

Stephens would like to see more think he could be class
Bamba (unlikely I know)nearly no chance agree
Dickov has he come out of retirement :greengrin
Hart squad player
Hanlonwould like to see the lad come good

Miller with the right players round him could be our best player
Murray aye :agree:
Wetherspoon could be an amazing talent
Zemmama would you give him a new deal ?

Riordan aye :agree:

Maybe a bit short for CH I agree :wink:
I will learn to spell one day.

Albion Hibs
28-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Overall I think there has been a huge improvement in the performances and results over the last four or so games. On that basis I am not wishing the season away, but rather looking forward to putting together a run of results.

In terms of quality I think we can add to the squad but first and foremost need to get some of our more influential players back from injury and onto the pitch.

My view on those I would like to see next season and those we still need to find out about is;

Stack (starting 11)
Brown

Stephens (Squad)
Hopefully one for the future)
Bamba (Starting 11)
I dont think there is any chance, but will include anyway

Dickoh (Starting 11)
This guy looks decent, I have been impressed with him in recent games.

Hart (Starting 11)
I guess this will come down to the money that he/his club are after. Has looked much better recently, like or other full back needs to focus on not giving the ball away to much which kills our midfield, defence and chance of getting a result.

Hanlon (Squad)
But hopefully on the verge of starting 11

Grounds (Starting 11)
Not to sure what sort of wedge he will be after / if he would want to play in scotland, with the exception of yesterday looks decent

Miller (Starting 11)

Murray (Starting 11)

Wotherspoon (Per Hanlon)
Riordan (Starting 11)

The Wait and See Boys;
Zuma
Nish
Trackys
Duffy

For me the answer will always be decent experience and a balance in the starting 11, the above with a bench containing players like Wotherspoon, Hanlon, Stephens a further striking option and a couple of younger boys working there way up.

Interesting that all of the wait and see section are attacking, a reflection of the difficulties and lack of options that we currently have.

I personally have not given up on this season of the majority of the squad we have.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Overall I think there has been a huge improvement in the performances and results over the last four or so games. On that basis I am not wishing the season away, but rather looking forward to putting together a run of results.

In terms of quality I think we can add to the squad but first and foremost need to get some of our more influential players back from injury and onto the pitch.

My view on those I would like to see next season and those we still need to find out about is;

Stack (starting 11)
Brown

Stephens (Squad)
Hopefully one for the future)
Bamba (Starting 11)
I dont think there is any chance, but will include anyway

Dickoh (Starting 11)
This guy looks decent, I have been impressed with him in recent games.

Hart (Starting 11)
I guess this will come down to the money that he/his club are after. Has looked much better recently, like or other full back needs to focus on not giving the ball away to much which kills our midfield, defence and chance of getting a result.

Hanlon (Squad)
But hopefully on the verge of starting 11

Grounds (Starting 11)
Not to sure what sort of wedge he will be after / if he would want to play in scotland, with the exception of yesterday looks decent

Miller (Starting 11)

Murray (Starting 11)

Wotherspoon (Per Hanlon)
Riordan (Starting 11)

The Wait and See Boys;
Zuma
Nish
Trackys
Duffy

For me the answer will always be decent experience and a balance in the starting 11, the above with a bench containing players like Wotherspoon, Hanlon, Stephens a further striking option and a couple of younger boys working there way up.

Interesting that all of the wait and see section are attacking, a reflection of the difficulties and lack of options that we currently have.

I personally have not given up on this season of the majority of the squad we have.

Who are these players?

Albion Hibs
28-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Who are these players?

Thought I had stated that with the wait and see section. Trakys, Zuma and Duffy, three attacking players.

Sammy7nil
28-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Who are these players?

I would think he means
Stack
Zemmama
and maybe Duffy

Judas Iscariot
28-11-2010, 05:12 PM
GK

Brown - Nah, cannae kick, is beat far too easily
Smith - Nah, Motherwell, Hertz and Ross County game for reasons
Stack - Aye, too injury prone though

Defenders

Hart - Aye, legs might go some mare though next year
Bamba - **** aye, if he's here
Dickoh - Aye, better than Hogg
Grounds - Nah, nae better than Hanlon
Hanlon - Aye, think he'll be a great CH for us
Stephens - Aye, defo has talent
Hogg - Nah, bad bad bad

Midfielders

De Graaf - Aye, with the right players around him
Miller - Aye, as above, if he's here
Rankin - Nut, just NUT
Murray - Aye! Aye!!!!
Galbraith - Aye, play him on the left
Wotherspoon - Aye
Stevenson - Nah, nut, no
Thicot - Aye, good technical footballer

Attackers

Riordan - Eh, AYE
Zemamma - Aye, 1 of the best players in the SPL, he owes us at least 1 fit season
Nish - I think Nish is nowhere near as bad as what's made out but for his own good to get him away from some of the clowns in our support I'll say NAH!
Trackys - At the moment aye, but really should be looking at better!
Duffy - Who knows

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Thought I had stated that with the wait and see section. Trakys, Zuma and Duffy, three attacking players.

I would think he means
Stack
Zemmama
and maybe Duffy

Trakys has played 2 games, and Duffy none. Hardly our most influential players are they?

Sammy7nil
28-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Albion I know what you mean hoping for a run of results

BUT

ICT, Hamiltion, St Johnstone have all been to ER and we beat none of them.
Lost at home to Hearts and Rangers
Beaten only Killie an Motherwell (with a struggle)

It is IMPOSSIBLE to see a run of results coming our way.

scoopyboy
28-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Been supporting Hibs for over 40 years. I had no real desire to go yesterday for the first time in a long time.

The season is a right off already the only thing that could liven it up is if we got in a relegation fight.

There was not ONE player yesterday that I would want to watch regularly. (Maybe Bamba aside) The whole team lack quality we have two footballers at E.R. that can do different things and entertain Riordan and Zemmama when thet are not playing we are no better than Hamilton or St Mirren.

I cant see us getting better any time soon, it really makes you appreciate the McLeish and Mowbary teams. CC may well be the man to steady the ship but I think it will be a long time before we play quality football again.

Not sure why I started this thread I am just so frustrated by Hibs lack of quality, fight, desire and determination. Players seem to accept being out played by average teams and do not have the ability to change the course of games. (I know peeps will say Ibrox and Motherwell, But 2 performance in 35 is not good enough)

At the start of next season I would hope to see only the following players at ER from the current squad.

Brown
Smith

Stephens
Bamba (unlikely I know)
Dickov
Hart
Hanlon

Miller
Murray
Wetherspoon
Zemmama

Riordan

That is ten players and I feel I am being overly generous reaching 10. I see about 5 or 6 of them as squad players not 1st picks.

Lets get the broom out and have a real clean start.

Just very very fed up :boo hoo:

Have I lost my ability to count or have you named 12 players?

Albion Hibs
28-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Trakys has played 2 games, and Duffy none. Hardly our most influential players are they?

Yet again having a play on words - not really that intelligent from you.

They are all attacking players therefore have the ability to influence a game, yesterday being the perfect example of a game that I felt by in large we controlled, we just did not have enough sources for goals on the pitch.

Part/Time Supporter
28-11-2010, 05:22 PM

They are all attacking players therefore have the ability to influence a game, yesterday being the perfect example of a game that I felt by in large we controlled, we just did not have enough sources for goals on the pitch.

I think its quite easy to see why you confused BH. "Influential" players could play anywhere on the pitch really, but normally up the spine of the team. Sauzee was probably the last player Hibs had who was greatly influential, as I understand that term.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I think its quite easy to see why you confused BH. "Influential" players could play anywhere on the pitch really, but normally up the spine of the team. Sauzee was probably the last player Hibs had who was greatly influential, as I understand that term.

I just put it down to lack of intelligence. :wink:

Sammy7nil
28-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Have I lost my ability to count or have you named 12 players?

Nope I have, did not scroll far enough back up to catch the keepers when I counted :greengrin

Albion Hibs
28-11-2010, 05:34 PM
I just put it down to lack of intelligence. :wink:

I will just put it down to you being in a bad mood as Murray played well yesterday, you must be disappointed.

With regards to a player being influential, I would have thought it was stating the obvious after yesterday and recent games to say that where we need 'influence' on a game is up front.

Apologies if I over estimated you intelligence.

Sammy7nil
28-11-2010, 05:35 PM

I would say the last was Brown or Thomson

I think Latapy did okay on that front too :wink:

Jim44
28-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Of the 14 players who made an appearance for Hibs yesterday, in my opinion, only 6 of them will definitely be part of the Hibs squad for next season.

Calderwood has a huge job on his hands in trying to get a strong squad together for next season but it is made slightly easier by the fact that so many are out of contract in the summer.

Calderwood's biggest problem will be persuading enough quality players to come to ER after a massive clearout. Our reputation of the last couple of seasons goes before us and we're now hardly the magnetic attraction that a lot of our support think we are.

IWasThere2016
28-11-2010, 06:11 PM

Well said, D - but the issue is fans aren't patient (myself included) and patience can often become apathy. We need a clearout and to sign one or two to excite IMHO - as the fare ain't entertaining enough.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2010, 06:39 PM
I will just put it down to you being in a bad mood as Murray played well yesterday, you must be disappointed.

With regards to a player being influential, I would have thought it was stating the obvious after yesterday and recent games to say that where we need 'influence' on a game is up front.

Apologies if I over estimated you intelligence.

Is it a bad mood or lack of intelligence? Or perhaps a poorly worded sentence, that's only obvious to you what it means?

Cropley10
28-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Calderwood will have the measure of all of these players already.

The gloom and doomers all like to predict that Deek, Bamba and Miller won't be here next season. I'm not so sure - if Sol could have got away he would have done by now. He think's he's better than he is. And who's going to sign Liam Miller based on what he's done here?

It's more likely that 'great trainers' like Rankin will get re-signed.

Cropley10
28-11-2010, 06:59 PM

You really are the BIGGEST erse on this Board. :asshole:

Albion Hibs
28-11-2010, 07:10 PM
You really are the BIGGEST erse on this Board. :asshole:

Maybe not quite the biggest think that most would struggle to take the mantle from you! You went very quite after your last yam accusation was launched back in your face the other week!

Cropley10
28-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Maybe not quite the biggest think that most would struggle to take the mantle from you! You went very quite after your last yam accusation was launched back in your face the other week!

Yer an erse. End of. Calling people unintelligent. Your usual tactic. Don't think many would disagree with me though about who is the biggest erse.

Still think yer a Yam. You'll slip up. I know you will ;-)

Albion Hibs
28-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Yer an erse. End of. Calling people unintelligent. Your usual tactic. Don't think many would disagree with me though about who is the biggest erse.

Still think yer a Yam. You'll slip up. I know you will ;-)

I think you will be outed along time before you have the chance to prove something which is of course not true.

All the best.

Cropley10
28-11-2010, 07:19 PM
I think you will be outed along time before you have the chance to prove something which is of course not true.

All the best.

How will I be outed? :confused:

I don't think it's difficult to prove beyond any doubt you are an erse though.:bye:

Removed
28-11-2010, 07:24 PM
I don't think it's difficult to prove beyond any doubt you are an erse though.:bye:

:agree:

I'd start a poll but it would be deleted. We all know what the outcome would be though.

Albion Hibs
28-11-2010, 07:25 PM
How will I be outed? :confused:

Strange, now I am an erse, the other week you were asking for a lift to Inverness, does not sound like I am your ideal travelling companion?

Did you end up going up to Inverness?

matty_f
28-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Keep it on topic folks, there's no need for the abuse.

CapitalHibs
28-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Quality needed - definetly:thumbsup:

Oh Franck Sauzee the Hibee - whan will we ever see yer likes again?

NAE NOOKIE
28-11-2010, 09:45 PM
We wont score goals or win games unless the strikers have movement and the full backs and attacking midfielders get forward of the man with the ball.

We havnt been doing that and unless we start doing it we wont win many no matter how many players CC ships out or brings in.