PDA

View Full Version : Is that the worst game of football you have ever been to?

BSEJVT
27-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Could be for me

Hibs were terrible

St Johnstone were terrible

The lack of quality in the SPL is just horrible.

If you were asked to go and watch that again tomorrow for free with the same players on offer would you?

It used to be the case that even if Hibs were crap and getting horsed there were players of some ability on the park from either or both sides you could watch and they would dull the pain a bit.

I cant think of one domestic player home or opposition I have watched this year that made me sit up and think, God that was brilliant.

To be honest most of my time at ER this season has been spent wishing I was somewhere else.

I have very limited free time and am increasingly turning up at ER thinking what a waste of the free time I have available that was.

I have supported Hibs for over 40 years and dont think I have ever been as disinterested as I am now, not just with Hibs but with the Scottish Football domestic and international in its entirety.

Bostonhibby
27-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Could be for me

Hibs were terrible

If you were asked to go and watch that again tomorrow for free with the same players on offer would you?

It used to be the case that even if Hibs were crap and getting horsed there were players of some ability on the park from either or both sides you could watch and they would dull the pain a bit.

I cant think of one domestic player home or opposition I have watched this year that made me sit up and think, God that was brilliant.

To be honest most of my time at ER this season has been spent wishing I was somewhere else.

I have very limited free time and am increasingly turning up at ER thinking what a waste of the free time I have available that was.

I have supported Hibs for over 40 years and dont think I have ever been as disinterested as I am now, not just with Hibs but with the Scottish Football domestic and international in its entirety.

:bitchy: In Bertie Aulds time, what I have just watched would have been known as highlights :wink:

down-the-slope
27-11-2010, 07:32 PM
bit of a tactical stalemate...defo seen much worse sadly...some good defensive play on show...just bugger all going forward of any note

Sir David Gray
27-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Totally agree with everything that you have said there and to answer your question, no I wouldn't go to a replay of that match tomorrow, even if I was paid to go, never mind free admission.

Scottish football is in a very bad place at the minute and the state that we, in particular, find ourselves in is even worse.

With no Riordan we have next to no goal threat in the side and with no Zemmama we have next to no creativity in the side either. With no goals or creativity, you are always going to struggle.

I don't enjoy going to the football these days and I have continually felt that way for the past couple of seasons, pretty much without exception. I am really saddened that I feel that way because watching Hibs is such a major part of my life and I used to really look forward to my next Hibs match and it couldn't come round quickly enough.

I don't blame the players that we currently have because I can't accuse them of lacking effort. The simple fact is they are just not good enough.

To answer the question in the thread title, today's match is certainly one of the worst games of football I have been to.

Westie1875
Nowhere near it I'm afraid to say

GreenCastle
Was pretty bad - the game is being shown on TV again and I really don't want to watch it.

Take away the great stadium we have and if that had been down at Inverleith Park I probably would have thought this isn't the best.

The quality on display just can't be justified by the prices people pay right now - that's the worst thing.

As Hibs fans I don't think you should ever boo your own players but you see fans frustrations when they have to watch a performance like that from Nish when people are spending their well earned money to come out and sit in the cold.

I will keep saying it but Scottish Football has real problems and people stuck in the bubble within Scotland really can't see it fully. Major change is needed to freshen it up at all levels.

hibeesdude
27-11-2010, 07:42 PM
for the fisrst time ever in 30 odd years i left at half time - could see what was happening and was bloody freezing...cut to black bull great juke and a wee beer or two

Cropley10
27-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Totally agree with everything that you have said there and to answer your question, no I wouldn't go to a replay of that match tomorrow, even if I was paid to go, never mind free admission.

Scottish football is in a very bad place at the minute and the state that we, in particular, find ourselves in is even worse.

With no Riordan we have next to no goal threat in the side and with no Zemmama we have next to no creativity in the side either. With no goals or creativity, you are always going to struggle.

I don't enjoy going to the football these days and I have continually felt that way for the past couple of seasons, pretty much without exception. I am really saddened that I feel that way because watching Hibs is such a major part of my life and I used to really look forward to my next Hibs match and it couldn't come round quickly enough.

I don't blame the players that we currently have because I can't accuse them of lacking effort. The simple fact is they are just not good enough.

To answer the question in the thread title, today's match is certainly one of the worst games of football I have been to.

You've never got a good word to say about Hibs have you?

Bostonhibby
27-11-2010, 07:46 PM
I blame the foreign refs, it takes a good Scottish ref to add that bit of unexpected drama to spice up the Scottish game.

Devon Hibee
27-11-2010, 07:46 PM
I didnt enjoy it to be honest, but I have seen a lot worse both North and South of the border.

The standard in the SPL is rather poor at the minute and we are not having the best of seasons, but we are getting better.

GreenCastle
27-11-2010, 07:47 PM
I blame the foreign refs, it takes a good Scottish ref to add that bit of unexpected drama to spice up the Scottish game.

:greengrin:greengrin

johnrebus
27-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Could be for me

Hibs were terrible

And how did you feel two weeks ago after we had trounced the Hun at their own pit?

:confused:

Alfred E Newman
27-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Was pretty bad - the game is being shown on TV again and I really don't want to watch it.

Take away the great stadium we have and if that had been down at Inverleith Park I probably would have thought this isn't the best.

The quality on display just can't be justified by the prices people pay right now - that's the worst thing.

As Hibs fans I don't think you should ever boo your own players but you see fans frustrations when they have to watch a performance like that from Nish when people are spending their well earned money to come out and sit in the cold.

I will keep saying it but Scottish Football has real problems and people stuck in the bubble within Scotland really can't see it fully. Major change is needed to freshen it up at all levels.

Why pick on Nish? He was on a hiding to nothing the way the team was set up. Long balls punted up to him with no support. Unfortunately Yogi has left us with a legacy of no pace and no width and Calderwood has a mammoth task in front of him turning that lot into an attractive team to watch..

Sir David Gray
27-11-2010, 08:02 PM
You've never got a good word to say about Hibs have you?

:confused: Where has that come from?

I don't believe I make any criticism of Hibs that is ever unreasonable and when something good happens at the club, I am only too happy to talk about it.

I can only assume that you have me mixed up with someone else because I can't imagine where you got the idea that I never have anything good to say about Hibs from.

Unfortunately, over the past year, there haven't been many positive things to speak about as far as on-field matters are concerned.

scotty1875
27-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Could be for me

Hibs were terrible

Don't disagree with a word you said. That;s how I feel too :agree:

BSEJVT
27-11-2010, 08:25 PM
And how did you feel two weeks ago after we had trounced the Hun at their own pit?

:confused:

Relieved, surprised and delighted would be the main emotions.

And you?

Removed
27-11-2010, 08:26 PM
I've been to loads worse than that

matty_f
27-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I've been to loads worse than that

Same here. Though that said, the scoreline made the game sound more exciting than it really was. Both sides were lucky to get nil...

jackhfc
27-11-2010, 08:36 PM
for the fisrst time ever in 30 odd years i left at half time - could see what was happening and was bloody freezing...cut to black bull great juke and a wee beer or two

This truly saddens me, maybe if it was 5-0 st Johnston at half time i'd excuse you, but leaving at half time with the score 0-0, and still with 11 men on the park is just a tad 'dickish' IMO

BSEJVT
27-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Same here. Though that said, the scoreline made the game sound more exciting than it really was. Both sides were lucky to get nil...

Other than the 12th man guys, good on them! it was just so flat an atmosphere, so predictable from very early on that it would be 0-0 and just so lacking in quality.

Hughes has left Hibs in one hell of a mess, there hasnt been any anticipation this season IMO that if it were going tits up, you bring someone on from the bench to change the game.

Oh for a Benji, Sproule or someone of that ilk.

Not sure whether to be worried or happy about the subs used.

IMO it looked like a clear shoring up exercise to hold onto a point, but maybe thats all the personnel available had to offer?

Should we view this a foretaste of what's to come, hanging on for a draw at home to the mighty St J's or should we be happy CC has the nous to take something from a game we could easily have thrown away.

I really dont know what to make of it at this stage

NoTottiNoParty
27-11-2010, 08:46 PM
This truly saddens me, maybe if it was 5-0 st Johnston at half time i'd excuse you, but leaving at half time with the score 0-0, and still with 11 men on the park is just a tad 'dickish' IMO

Not getting involved in the 'don't leave early debate' but I wish I had left at half time today too. It was brutal entertainment

FranckSuzy
27-11-2010, 08:48 PM

:hijack: Liking the avatar :thumbsup:

James70
27-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Have just watched it on Alba and I thought it was a case of each team cancelling the other out with few highlights for either side.

Let's face it, both teams were missing influential players and I honestly didn't think we were bad defensively. The midfield didn't have much creativity and as for the strikers, when you stick Nish up there by himself it just ain't going to work.

I'm sure the Baltic conditions didn't improve matters from the viewing perspective and I have sympathy for those who sat through the 90 minutes in those conditions.

I have certainly seen much worse performances from Hibs but that is easy to say from the comfort of my armchair in a warm house and I agree that it was a boring game to watch.

Today was never going to be easy due to our lack of striking options and I can't see things improving much till we get players back from injury and reach the transfer window. Let's just hope that CC has identified which players need to be replaced and that he has targets in mind.

Sunny1875
27-11-2010, 08:55 PM
It's gotta be up there

dave62
27-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Not the worst game ever, but easily the worst game this season.

chorley_fm
27-11-2010, 09:19 PM
It's gotta be up there

or down there ?

Removed
27-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Not the worst game ever, but easily the worst game this season.

Don't be silly. How many games have you seen this season?

Jamesie
27-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Spent a lot of today's game keeping tabs on the tennis and rugby while cursing Orange's rubbish data coverage in the new east (too few phone masts for the number of phones IMHO).

Over the last season or so I find myself spending time texting friends during games etc. It's almost like I'm just showing face. I really hope this changes soon but I can't see it happening. Will still go though.

dave62
27-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Don't be silly. How many games have you seen this season?

All the home games.

Removed
27-11-2010, 09:39 PM
All the home games.

Ok, so you mean worst home game. So what about the derby?

dave62
27-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Ok, so you mean worst home game. So what about the derby?

The derby was a better game because the yams were better than St Johnstone, whereas we were just as bad.

You're right, I should have said the worst game I'd seen this season.

johnrebus
27-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Relieved, surprised and delighted would be the main emotions.

And you?

Yes, me too.

Left me with the overall feeling that things are never as bad as they seem and they can change very quickly.

If Colin Calderwood can go to Ibrox and win handsomely with this lot then, given a wee bit time, what can he achieve with his own side?

:snowman

Removed
27-11-2010, 09:48 PM
The derby was a better game because the yams were better than St Johnstone, whereas we were just as bad.

Class. A nil nil against a team that has already beat us 2 nil this season is worse than getting pumped by the **** from gorgie. I never fail to be surprised on this message board.

bighairyfaeleith
27-11-2010, 09:52 PM
**** performance but we never got beat, the first thing calderwood has to do is pick up points and then make us hard to beat. So far he is doing that so I'll continue to be patient.

**** to watch though:agree:

marinello59
27-11-2010, 09:53 PM
**** performance but we never got beat, the first thing calderwood has to do is pick up points and then make us hard to beat. So far he is doing that so I'll continue to be patient.

**** to watch though:agree:
:agree:

bighairyfaeleith
27-11-2010, 09:53 PM

:rolleyes:

dave62
27-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Class. A nil nil against a team that has already beat us 2 nil this season is worse than getting pumped by the **** from gorgie. I never fail to be surprised on this message board.

The original question was "Is This the worst game of football you have been to?", a question I presumed to be about the quality of football from both sides, not is this the worst Hibs performance? You've interpreted it a different way which is up to you.

Saorsa
28-11-2010, 02:25 AM
Seen worse, but I dinnae think I've ever paid more for the privilege. Just forked out £235 for a half season + £44 for this weeks game and next. Beginning tae wonder what I've done.

Shrekko
28-11-2010, 02:51 AM
Seen worse, but I dinnae think I've ever paid more for the privilege. Just forked out £235 for a half season + £44 for this weeks game and next. Beginning tae wonder what I've done.

I decided to get a half season ticket after the Motherwell game but something made me hold off for a bit and after today I'm swaying towards not doing it.

This is the first year for a long time I didnt renew my ST and there's nothing I want more than to have an excuse to go every week again but how can you justify it in the current climate? The cost of tickets, petrol etc etc are just so disproportionate to the standard of 'entertainment'.

It was nowhere near the worst game I've seen- the problem is it's a recurring nightmare and it's been a long time since we has so little to look forward to with so few good players or young players coming through.

Frogga
28-11-2010, 03:20 AM
The worst game I've ever seen was Stirling Albion 0-0 Queens Park. Scottish 3rd division, no shots on target!

Pretty Boy
28-11-2010, 05:38 AM
The only positive from that game, and it's a major one, is that we didn't lose. I have no doubt 3 months back we would have conspired to lose that game somehow.

On saying that i can sympathise with the OP, it was awful. There were pretty much no examples of genuine quality that i can remember. The number of times Liam Miller had the ball at his feet and there was not one player in a forward position to receive a pass was frightening, the fact the fans seemed to be giving Miller the blame for this was as worrying.

I agree with a few others that going to ER is like a chore now. I used to really enjoy my Saturday at the football, even when we were rubbish but lately it's like i'm just going out of habit and to show face. There is a worrying lack of morale amongst our support at the moment and the crowds are only going to keep falling. I'd be interested to know how many walk up fans were in attendance today, i'd guess not many. I'd guess there will be even less next week.

Beating Rangers was all very well but it really means nothing now considering our last 2 results, anything less than a win next week and we risk getting sucked back into the relegation dogfight. Our last last 7 results hardly inspire confidence: LLLWWLD. And that is after a reasonable improvement since CC came in.

basehibby
28-11-2010, 09:50 AM
That was a pretty drab affair but I have seen MUCH worse.

As far as Hibs were concerned there was just zero cutting edge with our only striker, Nish, having a bit of a stinker.

St Js were also granted free headers from set pieces on a FAR too frequent basis which could easilly have seen us lose the game.

Nowhere near the worst game I've seen though - both teams were trying to play football - they just weren't very good at it!

tamig
28-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Seen a lot more dross than that over the years unfortunately. Nowhere near one of the worst ever I'm afraid.

fatbloke
28-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Now that I have had time to think about the question - i must say YES

Winston Ingram
28-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Could be for me

Hibs were terrible

I was having this conversation yesterday. I'm struggling to think of a worse one

nonshinyfinish
28-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Wasn't at the game, but I'd be surprised if it could compete with some of the real video nasties of yesteryear...Ayr United at Hampden, anyone?

Sir David Gray
28-11-2010, 10:04 PM
I think some people are missing the point of what the OP is asking.

The question wasn't "Is that the worst you have seen Hibs play?" If that had been the question then the answer would have been a resounding "no". Yesterday wasn't even the worst Hibs performance this season, never mind our worst performance in living memory.

The question was "Is that the worst game of football you have ever been to?" Although there's an argument for other games, yesterday must be up there as one of the worst games of football I have been to.

Although the recent game against Hearts and the match against Ayr at Hampden were shocking from a Hibs point of view, the match would have been quite exciting from a neutral/opposition viewpoint.

Yesterday, however, was an abysmal game of football from both sides' perspective and that is summed up by the fact that in the highlights that I have seen since last night, the only chance that has been shown is the de Graaf shot in the first half that was saved by the St Johnstone keeper.

The whole match was excruciatingly boring.

hibs0666
28-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Not even close to being the worst unfortunately. Try watching Hibs being humped 7-0 at Ibrox when the temperature was around minus 10 and yo'll start feeling my pain. :wink:

Then there was the Ayr semi, but that is just too raw...

Removed
28-11-2010, 10:08 PM

The question wasn't "Is that the worst you have seen Hibs play?" If that had been the question then the answer would have been a resounding "no". Yesterday wasn't even the worst Hibs performance this season, never mind our worst performance in living memory.

The question was "Is that the worst game of football you have ever been to?" Although there's an argument for other games, yesterday must be up there as one of the worst games of football I have been to.

Although the recent game against Hearts and the match against Ayr at Hampden were shocking from a Hibs point of view, the match would have been quite exciting from a neutral/opposition viewpoint.

Yesterday, however, was an abysmal game of football from both sides' perspective and that is summed up by the fact that in the highlights that I have seen since last night, the only chance that has been shown is the de Graaf shot in the first half that was saved by the St Johnstone keeper.

Still a no from me if I missed the point first time round

BSEJVT
28-11-2010, 11:09 PM

Thanks that was exactly the point I was making.

I thought yesterday was a terrible game of football with very few chances created, very little ability on show, very little goalmouth action and I cant even recall a hard tackle.

Looked to me like two clueless teams who really couldnt be bothered.

nonshinyfinish
28-11-2010, 11:25 PM
the match against Ayr at Hampden were shocking from a Hibs point of view, the match would have been quite exciting from a neutral/opposition viewpoint.

Really? As I remember it, it was an absolutely appalling game of football, with the Brucie bonus of similarly piss poor extra time. I'm sure the Ayr United fans were delighted to progress to the final, but I really don't think they would have enjoyed any of the game aside from the last couple of minutes. As for neutrals - if they watch that kind of fare for fun then I worry for their mental stability.

joebakerforever
29-11-2010, 01:12 AM
Certainly one of the most boring matches I've seen.

Apart De Graaf's on target shot in first half, nothing else remotely like a goal threat fom either side.

Maybe the baltic conditions contributed to the lack of any decent fluid passages of play.

There was also no aggression shown by either side and I wondered if the players were wary of how the foreign ref might react to meaty challenges and jostling, etc.

The only positive I noted was that the foreign linesmen/asst refs were not afraid to indicate on-field offences, unlike their Scottish cousins who regularly ignore such incidents.

Keith_M
29-11-2010, 09:48 AM
For me, nowhere near it. Has anyone mentioned Bertie Auld yet?

It worked out as a bit of a stalemate with two defenses on top. Both teams showed a shocking lack of creativity, especially in the final third. But, the first thing Calderwood needs to do is close the back door and, if nothing else, they did that on Saturday. That said, I wouldn't fancy going to watch that every week.

hibeedonald
29-11-2010, 10:01 AM
man u v chelsea f.a cup final was equally boring, nothing happened!

FifeHibby
29-11-2010, 10:07 AM
It was certainly very poor, but i've seen worse.
No creativity from either side.

ehf
30-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Not sure whether to be worried or happy about the subs used.

IMO it looked like a clear shoring up exercise to hold onto a point, but maybe thats all the personnel available had to offer?

Should we view this a foretaste of what's to come, hanging on for a draw at home to the mighty St J's or should we be happy CC has the nous to take something from a game we could easily have thrown away.

I really dont know what to make of it at this stage

Defo a shoring up exercise in the hope of hanging on for 0-0. And that is just not acceptable.

proud_and_green
30-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Definitely a dreadful game, i remember looking at the clock and seeing that only 10 minutes had gone thinking it should have been pushing half time easily.

But..

It was most certainly not the worst game i have ever seen Hibs play!! The smae is that although i have been watching Hibs for a good 40 years or so i don't think you necessarily need to have been watching for so long to have seen a lot worse!!!!

On the bright side though, it can only get better!!!!!

The future's........

allezsauzee
30-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Most people's glasses seem to be half empty rather than half full. We got a clean sheet which we've been struggling to get for most of this calendar year. I thought both teams defended well enough and there certainly wasn't a lack of application from Hibs. The passing wasn't crisp enough and I think it's fair to say our only available striker wasn't full of confidence. CC isnt going to turn this round in a week or 2 , but i think I think we have a team that now looks as though it knows what it's trying to do and we have a bit of shape. I do acknowledge it wasn't an exciting game but I'm happy that we become a solid organised team first and then we can bring the razzmatazz back!