PDA

View Full Version : Stephens

RCNG
27-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Thought he looked good when he came on.

Who's to say hes not being molded into a strong CF?

Why not use what we have rather than just keep him watching Bamba and Co!

Could be one to keep an eye out for!

RCNG
27-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Him and Trakys up from with Deek next week! :thumbsup:

Would like to see this tried out!

May be a crazy idea but why not?!

blackpoolhibs
27-11-2010, 07:33 PM
I liked him when i first saw him pre season. I hope he can take over from Bamba when he leaves in the summer.

IFONLY
27-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Behave yourselfs, Stephens was very ordinary and looked like a fish out of water, he is only getting credit because your comparing him with Nish ffs

down the slope
27-11-2010, 07:54 PM
He never looked looked a Nish out of water !.

Alfred E Newman
27-11-2010, 07:57 PM

you`re right it is crazy.

maturehibby
27-11-2010, 07:58 PM
did a lot more than Nish and wasnt pushed off the ball the same as Nish was - and was able to lay the ball off a lot more

IFONLY
27-11-2010, 07:58 PM
He never looked looked a Nish out of water !.
Is that an attempt at humour. lol as bad as the crap we where served up today.

IFONLY
27-11-2010, 08:01 PM
did a lot more than Nish and wasnt pushed off the ball the same as Nish was - and was able to lay the ball off a lot more

Its amazing what tinted glasses can do to ones eyesight. I just watched the game again and I fail to see what Stephens contributed . By the way please dont think that I am backing Nish. I am only saying what I saw Stephens do and it was nothing to go overboard about as some are doing.

Godsahibby
27-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Stephens has impressed me with what ive seen so far of him, for a big guy he always looks to get the ball down, watched him at Dunfermiline pre season and today, looks very comfortable with the ball at his feet,

I remember reading somewhere (possibly an interview on the official site) that he did used to play up front, while I dont think he will be his best there he did more in the time he was on holding up the play and feeding other players in then certain others managed when they were on.

Definitely someone who will be looking to break into the first 11 over the season, he looks an ideal replacement for Bamba.

greenlex
27-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Its amazing what tinted glasses can do to ones eyesight. I just watched the game again and I fail to see what Stephens contributed . By the way please dont think that I am backing Nish. I am only saying what I saw Stephens do and it was nothing to go overboard about as some are doing.
:agree: He won a few headers and stayed on his feet. He did however look a bit slow. He was however being played out of position so that is not slating the guy just an observation.

sleeping giant
27-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Liked the look of him. Not scared to do a job. He done quite well but he's not a dribbler:greengrin

Calderwood's not feard either sticking him upfront for Nish.

Sammy7nil
28-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Behave yourselfs, Stephens was very ordinary and looked like a fish out of water, he is only getting credit because your comparing him with Nish ffs

Yeah I agree 19yr old C Half looks terrible when compared to No 10 in SPL ALL TIME SCORING chart. NOT

Stephens did more in 60 secs than Nish did in 70 mins.

yes Stephens was poor as a striker but his effort, commitment, attitude, will to win and ability to stay on his feet. wher Never in question

Breath of Fresh Air compard to C.Pish :bye:

Silversand
28-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Is that an attempt at humour. lol as bad as the crap we where served up today.

A bit better than the carp we had served up today.

:duck:

Saorsa
28-11-2010, 02:39 AM
Thought he looked good when he came on.

Who's to say hes not being molded into a strong CF?

Why not use what we have rather than just keep him watching Bamba and Co!

Could be one to keep an eye out for!In the time he was on he certainly done better than Nish, hardly a great achievement, it would have been hard tae be worse, most people in the stand could have done better then Nish. CF though? I think not.

fife hfc
28-11-2010, 02:51 PM
I don't anybody is saying he is the answer upfront. It was just that he won more headers than Nish and the ball actually stuck when played to his feet rather than bouncing everywhere when it was played to nish. He done ok with what he was asked to do but it was only an emergency situation as nish had to go off (fans on his back was making him worse than he had been).

What yesterday showed is how important a Trakys type player is to the team in that when the ball is played to him it sticks rather than coming straight back at us. It is no surprise that our two victories came when we had him upfront doing this role and our defeat at ICT and yesterday we had nobody upfront who could hold the ball up so it just comes back at us and we could not build any meaningful attacks.

lucky
28-11-2010, 03:31 PM
He did better than Nish but its not good for his development as a defender to put him on up front. It also showed how thin our squad is

cocopops1875
28-11-2010, 03:39 PM
He did better than Nish but its not good for his development as a defender to put him on up front. It also showed how thin our squad is

not strictly true it can be good to see how other players play your position by being directly up against them also gives you some insight into what strikers think and do in some situations. I doubt that playing up front for 1 or 10 games will have any bearing on his development as a centre half and would imagine any 1st team action will be great for the lad

PISTOL1875
28-11-2010, 04:26 PM

They tried that against Motherwell and it worked very well.. Both of Deeks goals came from Trakys link up play..

The big question is though will VT be fit for next week ???

since90plustwo
28-11-2010, 04:33 PM
saw him at carlisle, and he is like bamba, he tries all the tricks and the zidane passes, not a bad player

CapitalHibs
28-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Remember Jock Stein doing the same as Scotland manager in 1965 in a WCQ game in Italy by playing big Ronnie Yeats up-front. Didnae quite work out though- we got beat 3-0.

skipster7
28-11-2010, 06:03 PM
i find it funny that folk are saying he was better than nish because he won his first 2 headers.iirc nish started ok first half and won a fair percentage of his knock ons before descending into a shocker.i think big stephens won a couple of headers and turned and passed out to the left wing once and looked just what he was.clutching at straws if we think thats doing well.imo it just confirms our lack of depth.

hibbybrian
28-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Remember Jock Stein doing the same as Scotland manager in 1965 in a WCQ game in Italy by playing big Ronnie Yeats up-front. Didnae quite work out though- we got beat 3-0.

was that the game when he dropped Neil Martin :confused:

CapitalHibs
28-11-2010, 06:34 PM
was that the game when he dropped Neil Martin :confused:

You could be right!...though think we had few options up front due to injuries (just like Hibs)