PDA

View Full Version : Hugh Dallas...ooops (Dallas sacked)

Phil MaGlass
26-11-2010, 12:41 PM
just when people were supporting them this hits the news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/9225458.stm

Phil MaGlass
26-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Jees ...how late am I with this one, Im moving house so thats my excuse

johnrebus
26-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Jees ...how late am I with this one, Im moving house so thats my excuse

Not as late as the Catholic Church has taken in addressing their own issues in the first place.............,

:rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
26-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Not as late as the Catholic Church has taken in addressing their own issues in the first place.............,

:rolleyes:

According to the lady from the Catholic Observer this morning, just because they took 40 years (:faf:) to deal with it doesn't make it right that the SFA don't deal with this equally heinous (:bitchy:) crime immediately.

greenginger
26-11-2010, 02:58 PM
just when people were supporting them this hits the news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/9225458.stm

Any chance we might get some transparency from the Catholic Church first ?

They could start by publishing the reports they have made into their own employees over the last 40 years for a start.

Or is that a private matter and of no concern us mere mortals ? :grr:

Keith_M
26-11-2010, 03:07 PM
At the risk of being accused of bigotry of any kind....

I find it hypocritical, to say the least, that the Roman Catholic church is taking such a moralistic stance on this issue, considering their history of cover-ups.

I'm sure they know what the following means:

"Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
Matthew 7:1

Keith_M
26-11-2010, 03:12 PM
p.s. The sad thing is, some Celtc fans are now claiming that this issue is absolute evidence of everything they've been saying, that the whole world is out to get them*. In fact, that the whole Referees dispute is an elaborate smokescreen for the Dallas issue, orchestrated by the man himself. :bitchy:

* Does that mean, then, that they think that the Roman Catholic Church and Celtc FC are one and the same?

:dunno:

Golden Bear
26-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Half the country probably received the same e mail so we're all guilty as charged for passing it on.

It's not as if Hugh Dallas is a major political figure and how some folk have made a connection between the referees dispute, sectarianism and even child abuse is beyond me.

The catholic church have made a mountain out of a mole hill and probably only succeeeded in hardening opinions against them.

H18sry
26-11-2010, 03:20 PM
The e-mail was not even that funny 6999

greenginger
26-11-2010, 03:34 PM

Funny or not according to some you must also be guilty of " gratuitously insulting the Pope and instigating anti Catholic sectarianism "

I hope your going to resign from somewhere.:greengrin

Hibee87
26-11-2010, 03:36 PM
and so were back to route cause of all problems religion.

football is a sport that has no cause for religion as does any other sport.
and there is no way of sorting this though is there?

the only way of doing so would be to set up our own league and then you end up with the quality of a irish or welsh league - no tv coverage and all the best players would be goign to england.

so who can come up with a detail plan on how we could leave the o/f and be succesfull and not fall away to terrible football? i certainly cant?
our only means of survival is fighting for the scraps the o/f and there bigot ways and its killing football slowly without them though football would die in scotland quicker

matty_f
26-11-2010, 03:48 PM
isn't the email more anti-paedophile than anti-catholic? The email doesn't suggest that all catholics are child abusers, but does reference the church leader's role in failing to protect children who had been abused by catholic priests.

greenginger
26-11-2010, 03:54 PM
so who can come up with a detail plan on how we could leave the o/f and be succesfull and not fall away to terrible football? i certainly cant?
our only means of survival is fighting for the scraps the o/f and there bigot ways and its killing football slowly without them though football would die in scotland quicker[/QUOTE]

With a population of 5.5 million and football as first choice sport for many we have a basis for a competitive, successful league were it not for the existence of the Old Firm.

Solution - Expel the pair of them from Scottish Football and ban them from ever playing on Scottish soil again - Simples :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-11-2010, 04:08 PM
This is just despicable. As an organistion the Catholic Church tried en masse to suppress cases where it was shown that pure distilled evil was practiced on vulnerable and needy people and yet an un-funny spam e-mail gets blown out of all proportion. Makes my blood boil and confirms my beliefs that Sunday's are for cutting the grass and washing the car.

HFC 0-7
26-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Half the country probably received the same e mail so we're all guilty as charged for passing it on.

It's not as if Hugh Dallas is a major political figure and how some folk have made a connection between the referees dispute, sectarianism and even child abuse is beyond me.

The catholic church have made a mountain out of a mole hill and probably only succeeeded in hardening opinions against them.

I agree with you regarding many other passing it on, but when you are a figure that is in the media who is head of a group of people where integrity is key, Dallas should have known better. If I got caught sending something like that by my work I would be sacked, prettu sure a lot of other would be.

I dont think that it makes Dallas favour any one side but it does show, IMO, that he is definately not the man for the job.

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2010, 04:13 PM

I laughed and i'm catholic. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
26-11-2010, 04:30 PM
I agree with you regarding many other passing it on, but when you are a figure that is in the media who is head of a group of people where integrity is key, Dallas should have known better. If I got caught sending something like that by my work I would be sacked, prettu sure a lot of other would be.

I dont think that it makes Dallas favour any one side but it does show, IMO, that he is definately not the man for the job.

Presumably the Director General of the BBC should fear for his job too, as Dara O'Briain and Ed Byrne were even more guilty of laughing at the Catholic Church, on an episode of Mock the Week.

The bottom line here is the Church has got itself into a very big mess, and are whingeing that people are laughing at them. What the significance of a football referee laughing at the same joke as everyone else is escapes me.

Only in this petty and divided country could someone make Dallas' actions an issue of public concern. Seems to me that some people want to take our right to freedom of thought away from us, in the same way as those Islamists wanted Denmark to ban the cartoonist who took a pop at Allah.

It's a good job for Dave Allen that he's dead, or the Catholic Observer (no connection or relation to the Catholic Church) would be asking for his head too. It really is time a stop was put to this nonsense.

Hibee87
26-11-2010, 04:31 PM
our only means of survival is fighting for the scraps the o/f and there bigot ways and its killing football slowly without them though football would die in scotland quicker

With a population of 5.5 million and football as first choice sport for many we have a basis for a competitive, successful league were it not for the existence of the Old Firm.

Solution - Expel the pair of them from Scottish Football and ban them from ever playing on Scottish soil again - Simples :agree:[/QUOTE]

Thats fair to say in theory but then you have no tv revenue or very little (bbc alba maybe) no europe until eufa decide to recognise it as a league and then it would be winner goign into the lower rounds of europe until such a time we can ask for more places and what about all out plaer?

if we dont have t.v money or lucritive shirt sponsers or even sponers of any kind where do we pay the plaers wages? can you see the likes of the wotherspoons, byrns or even deeks and occoners as youngsters wanting to play for hibs part time and have another job? no because they would all be snapped up by the english leagues albeit maybe lower league teams but overall still paying them a decent living more than a scottish club could afford hoe many years of watch 2nd and 3rd division calbre players playing in the top flight of scottish football before we coudl change my guess is not in at least 25 years would any significant change be made

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-11-2010, 04:42 PM

bet you felt guilty about it though..?

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2010, 04:48 PM
bet you felt guilty about it though..?

:tee hee:

matty_f
26-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Presumably the Director General of the BBC should fear for his job too, as Dara O'Briain and Ed Byrne were even more guilty of laughing at the Catholic Church, on an episode of Mock the Week.

The bottom line here is the Church has got itself into a very big mess, and are whingeing that people are laughing at them. What the significance of a football referee laughing at the same joke as everyone else is escapes me.

Only in this petty and divided country could someone make Dallas' actions an issue of public concern. Seems to me that some people want to take our right to freedom of thought away from us, in the same way as those Islamists wanted Denmark to ban the cartoonist who took a pop at Allah.

It's a good job for Dave Allen that he's dead, or the Catholic Observer (no connection or relation to the Catholic Church) would be asking for his head too. It really is time a stop was put to this nonsense.

:agree: I agree with this, the email wasn't sectarian, it was satirical.

The link between that, Dallas, and bias in football is purely down to the small-minded mentality that exists in the West of Scotland. Dallas laughs at emails = Dallas laughs at Catholics= Dallas laughs at Celtc.

What these people fail to grasp is that outside of themselves, nobody gives a toss about the religious baggage that they carry about. The vast majority of people in Scotland don't automatically think Catholic when they hear Celtc, and vice versa.

Bishop Hibee
26-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Whether you think religion, especially catholicism, is the root of all evil as many on Hibs.net appear to or religion is the way to a happy and fulfilling life bringing you closer to your creator has nothing to do with whether Dallas should resign or not.

Can anybody honestly say that he was quite right, given his position as Head of Referee Development, to send this email using his work email address? Even if he thought it was the funniest thing he's ever read, has the guy not got the brain to see that he has to be seen as impartial especially given the OF who look for any indication of bias.

It also has to be seen in the context of him being an SFA employee, the same SFA who did nothing while Rangers employed a policy of not signing Roman Catholic players for decades.

Personally, I don't think he should resign as being a Scottish catholic, I've developed a thick skin since first being verbally abused as a primary school pupil for going to a catholic school and have heard it all in terms of anti-catholic abuse/rhetoric. He should suffer some disciplinary sanction from his employer though and issue an apology and own up to the stupidity of his action.

This indiscretion is a symptom of the need for a root and branch reform of the SFA and its workings :agree:

The_Todd
26-11-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm getting so bored of this now. I would like to know why the Catholic Church feels the need to meddle with the internal affairs of the Scottish Football Association limited. A private company.

What the Catholic Church is hoping to achieve I don't know, but it is only further fuelling the "Us vs the entire world" fire that Celtic are trying to stoke up amongst their own fans. It's getting ridiculous and either Celtic need to back down or resign from the SPL and find themselves somewhere new to play. They can join the Highland League if they'll even take them.

basehibby
26-11-2010, 05:13 PM

It's not funny at all!

Although I'm more of an atheist I was brought up catholic and can confirm that there are still plenty enough idiots in Scotland with ignorant and bigotted attitudes towards catholics and catholicism - the thought of these ******s rubbing their hands with glee at the oportunity of notching up their "fun" a few degrees does not fill me with glee at all.

Of course the RC Church have made a rod for their own backs by their disgraceful behaviour in covering up heinous criminal acts comitted by a number of priests down the years. But that doesn't make these jokes funny or acceptable to me - the inference being that ALL catholic clergy are paedos - something a million miles away from the truth as well as encouraging of hatred and ignorance (as if we don't have enough of that already).

The_Todd
26-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Can anybody honestly say that he was quite right, given his position as Head of Referee Development, to send this email using his work email address? Even if he thought it was the funniest thing he's ever read, has the guy not got the brain to see that he has to be seen as impartial especially given the OF who look for any indication of bias.

I think it's nobodies business what Hugh Dallas sent from any email address, apart from the people he sent it to.

Saorsa
26-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm getting so bored of this now. I would like to know why the Catholic Church feels the need to meddle with the internal affairs of the Scottish Football Association limited. A private company.

What the Catholic Church is hoping to achieve I don't know, but it is only further fuelling the "Us vs the entire world" fire that Celtic are trying to stoke up amongst their own fans. It's getting ridiculous and either Celtic need to back down or resign from the SPL and find themselves somewhere new to play. They can join the Highland League if they'll even take them.:agree:

Churches, catholic or otherwise like tae stick their neb in tae everything.

Hundreds of people probably passed that e-mail about, should they all be sacked because the catholic church dinnae like tae have fun poked at them, I think not. I dinnae think Dallas should be sacked because of this, I just think he should be sacked, period. :bye:

fatbloke
26-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Please find listed the last email/posts i have been sent. Are they funny or offensive. You decide or alternatively send your answers on the back of a fiver to...

I just bought a christmas tree and the assistant said "will you be putting this up yourself" I said "no its going in the living room "

the schemie 12 days of xmas 12 inbred cousins,11 fake armanis,10 lambert and butler,9pm curfew,8 young children,7different dads,6 grams o coke.5 sovereign rings,4 stolen alloys,3 different asbo's,2 cans o carlsberg and a brand new celtic home shirt !!!!!!!

officials from poland to referee spl games this weekend handy for the guy who gets the hibs game cause he only stays at abbeyhill!!

A roman catholic was found dead today in larkhall a local doctor described his condition as satisfactory !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bishop Hibee
26-11-2010, 05:32 PM
I think it's nobodies business what Hugh Dallas sent from any email address, apart from the people he sent it to.

What if he was sending an email making some anti-black or gay joke? Would that be nobodies, including his employers business? I think you'd have a hard job defending that one at a disciplinary tribunal. The inference in the email is that Pope Benedict allows child abuse to go on with his knowledge which is a lie.

Like it or not, religion and football are mixed together in Scotland though thankfully this is waning as a greater percentage of Celtic supporters than ever are non-Catholic and Rangers are actually starting to have catholic fans or fans who have Catholic relations.

Barney McGrew
26-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Hundreds of people probably passed that e-mail about, should they all be sacked because the catholic church dinnae like tae have fun poked at them, I think not.

The ironic thing is that I'm willing to bet a sizable percentage of the mortally offended calling for Dallas' head will have been sent/forwarded on the same e-mail at their own workplace.

They'd better hope no-one grasses them up to their superiors :cool2:

Phil D. Rolls
26-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Whether you think religion, especially catholicism, is the root of all evil as many on Hibs.net appear to or religion is the way to a happy and fulfilling life bringing you closer to your creator has nothing to do with whether Dallas should resign or not.

It also has to be seen in the context of him being an SFA employee, the same SFA who did nothing while Rangers employed a policy of not signing Roman Catholic players for decades.

Personally, I don't think he should resign as being a Scottish catholic, I've developed a thick skin since first being verbally abused as a primary school pupil for going to a catholic school and have heard it all in terms of anti-catholic abuse/rhetoric. He should suffer some disciplinary sanction from his employer though and issue an apology and own up to the stupidity of his action.

This indiscretion is a symptom of the need for a root and branch reform of the SFA and its workings :agree:

Jeezo, you'd think he was the one that had been abusing children.

It's not funny at all!

Although I'm more of an atheist I was brought up catholic and can confirm that there are still plenty enough idiots in Scotland with ignorant and bigotted attitudes towards catholics and catholicism - the thought of these ******s rubbing their hands with glee at the oportunity of notching up their "fun" a few degrees does not fill me with glee at all.

Of course the RC Church have made a rod for their own backs by their disgraceful behaviour in covering up heinous criminal acts comitted by a number of priests down the years. But that doesn't make these jokes funny or acceptable to me - the inference being that ALL catholic clergy are paedos - something a million miles away from the truth as well as encouraging of hatred and ignorance (as if we don't have enough of that already).

******s - that can't be right, can it?

Get real, the shame is the Catholic churches own for putting themselves in the position where people laugh at them. When you consider what has happened, making a joke about it is a fairly measured response.

If you like, I can give you the names of many more people who have made jokes about this. I wish the Church would just accept its shame, and get on with putting it right.

cabbageandribs1875
26-11-2010, 05:38 PM
It's not funny at all!

good post :agree: i'm not of the pope's faith but i think it is offensive :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
26-11-2010, 05:41 PM
good post :agree: i'm not of the pope's faith but i think it is offensive :agree:

So do I, those children never stood a chance.

I'm_cabbaged
26-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Read that back and think about it, of course it matters where he sent it from. If you want to send personal emails send it from your own account, but if you send a dodgy one from whatever your role is your in deep ****!! There was a few council workers that got the bullet over a "racist" joke (can't remember what it was) and they weren't even in lofty positions.

Oh aye, and obviously the people he sent it to did think it was somebodies business.

basehibby
26-11-2010, 05:56 PM

Get real, the shame is the Catholic churches own for putting themselves in the position where people laugh at them. When you consider what has happened, making a joke about it is a fairly measured response.

As for "******s", I'll leave it to your conscience to decide whether that is an acceptable use of language. You have a free will.

You're right of course that the RC have put themselves up for ridicule. It just gives me no pleasure knowing that the intelectually ******ed (no apologies for expanding on my meaning here) bigots out there now have more fuel for their fire.

Phil D. Rolls
26-11-2010, 06:19 PM
You're right of course that the RC have put themselves up for ridicule. It just gives me no pleasure knowing that the intelectually ******ed (no apologies for expanding on my meaning here) bigots out there now have more fuel for their fire.

I'm just completely hacked off that religious differences have such an impact on day to day life in Scotland.

BoltonHibee
26-11-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm just completely hacked off that religious differences have such an impact on day to day life in Scotland.

:agree:

It's a sad fact though, especially in the West.

Hibercelona
26-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Simples really.

Celtic have a problem with referees, so Catholics have a problem with referees now as well.

I wonder how many celtc fans will be swallowing all this nonsense up for an excuse to start their "The referees are all prods" nonsense.

I'd be extremely surprised if this story has any truth in it what so ever. Hugh Dallas is a moron, but he isn't a daft moron. He wouldn't send an email like that using his own account. :rolleyes:

Kaiser1962
26-11-2010, 07:07 PM

Christ I though you meant the Pope there. Had to read it again..:greengrin

lyonhibs
26-11-2010, 07:17 PM

Churches, catholic or otherwise like tae stick their neb in tae everything.

Hundreds of people probably passed that e-mail about, should they all be sacked because the catholic church dinnae like tae have fun poked at them, I think not. I dinnae think Dallas should be sacked because of this, I just think he should be sacked, period. :bye:

I posted it on a mate's Facebook wall!!!

I'd better start saying my hail mary's, or getting sacked will be the least of my worries :worried::worried:

Hibee Daz
26-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Child abuse should not be made light off it's completely sickeningly heinous and that's putting it mildly.

But an 83 year old virgin in a silly hat, now that's ****ing funny!:hahaha:

The Harp Awakes
26-11-2010, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=Bishop Hibee;2647122]What if he was sending an email making some anti-black or gay joke?

Nail on the head for me:agree:

Personally I think folk are too easily offended these days. Having said that it's all about getting rid of prejudice and growing up as a country. 30 or 40 years ago nobody would raise an eyebrow when black people were the butt of jokes. Nowadays you wouldn't get away with it and rightfully so.

Sadly many people in Scotland still think it's ok to slag off other folks religion or ethnic background though, e.g., the famine song, Dallas' e-mail, toleration of orange walks, etc. Perversely enough, the reaction of most of the posters on here to Dallas being an absolute numpty given his position, is to have a go at the Catholic Church. :cool2:

greenginger
26-11-2010, 08:12 PM

Sadly many people in Scotland still think it's ok to slag off other folks religion or ethnic background though, e.g., the famine song, Dallas' e-mail, toleration of orange walks, etc. Perversely enough, the reaction of most of the posters on here to Dallas being an absolute numpty given his position, is to have a go at the Catholic Church. :cool2:[/QUOTE]

The Catholic Church is about last organisation on earth to have the right to call for transparency in others or to demand the dismissal of anyone.

They should take a look at themselves first, put their own house in order, and then may'be they will not sound quite so ridiculous when expecting exemplary behavior in others. :grr:

The_Todd
26-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Sadly many people in Scotland still think it's ok to slag off other folks religion or ethnic background though, e.g., the famine song, Dallas' e-mail, toleration of orange walks, etc. Perversely enough, the reaction of most of the posters on here to Dallas being an absolute numpty given his position, is to have a go at the Catholic Church. :cool2:

Devils advocate here.

You complain of people slagging off the Catholics and at the same time say we "shouldn't tolerate Orange Walks". Hypocritical, no?

Keith_M
26-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Perversely enough, the reaction of most of the posters on here to Dallas being an absolute numpty given his position, is to have a go at the Catholic Church. :cool2:

I had a go, but not because I think it's OK what Dallas did (IMHO, Dallas should be disciplined by his employers, the same as any other employee, acording to the offense committed). The reason being that I think the Catholic Church should put its own house in order before telling other organisations who should and shouldn't be sacked.

If you think that's some kind of bigotry, then you are the one with the problem, as you can obviously see no further than the end of your own nose.

Phil D. Rolls
26-11-2010, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=Bishop Hibee;2647122]What if he was sending an email making some anti-black or gay joke?

Nail on the head for me:agree:

Personally I think folk are too easily offended these days. Having said that it's all about getting rid of prejudice and growing up as a country. 30 or 40 years ago nobody would raise an eyebrow when black people were the butt of jokes. Nowadays you wouldn't get away with it and rightfully so.

We have a difference of opinion here Geoffrey.

a) we have a man that sends an eMail that slags a criminal off
b) we have the criminal.

Who do we revile more? :hmmm:

If you answered b) you are a bigot who hates that man's religion so much that you are not prepared to make allowances for his deviant behaviour.

If you answered a) you are clearly a victim of deep seated and blind prejudice.

:brickwall:

This was a joke about an organisation that tolerated child abuse. Nobody gives a flying one what Catholics do on a Sunday, and why nobody ever answers that phone at a funeral. What people do object to is sickening and devious criminal behaviour.

Of course I'm sure you feel the same about the jokes that Tommy Tiernan, Dave Allen, Dara O'Briain, Ed Byrne and just about every other Irish comedian has made about the RC faith. (Probably closet Protestants anyway).

Next week.....have we been too hard on Hitler, asks Martin Voreman of Rio de Janeiro.

lapsedhibee
26-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Next week.....have we been too hard on Hitler.

Absolutely outrageous that that Mel Brooks was allowed to circulate his fillum making fun of Nazis. Since when was the Holocaust a suitable subject for humour? Why has he not resigned? :confused:

Phil D. Rolls
26-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Absolutely outrageous that that Mel Brooks was allowed to circulate his fillum making fun of Nazis. Since when was the Holocaust a suitable subject for humour? Why has he not resigned? :confused:

Relax, it's 2010 you can sue him. :agree:

Dashing Bob S
26-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Child abuse should not be made light off it's completely sickeningly heinous and that's putting it mildly.

But an 83 year old virgin in a silly hat, now that's ****ing funny!:hahaha:

Sadly, given the behaviour of many of his senior accomplices, and the record of his institution in covering up the crime you rightly describe as heinous, I would be surprised if he was a virgin.

marinello59
26-11-2010, 09:40 PM
And the saga continues............

AFKA5814_Hibs
26-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Hugh Dallas has left the building.

Betty Boop
26-11-2010, 09:41 PM
He has resigned, according to STV.

Vini1875
26-11-2010, 09:42 PM
It is anti Catholic and someone like Dallas ought to know better in his position if he passed this on. Also and it does not excuse what has gone on in the Catholic church but there are even more sexual abuse cases against Protestant church clergy, yet nothing is really heard in the British media about that.

The Catholic church is an easy target, but all religions suffer from sexual abuse from within their ranks.

hibee_girl
26-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Apparently 5 others have left as well as Dallas

Luna_Asylum
26-11-2010, 09:45 PM

******s - that can't be right, can it?

If you like, I can give you the names of many more people who have made jokes about this. I wish the Church would just accept its shame, and get on with putting it right.

:top marks

always wanted to do a smiley and here it is over and done with - well said indeed.......

BoltonHibee
26-11-2010, 09:48 PM
And the saga continues............

Only option really open to him

ballengeich
26-11-2010, 09:51 PM
An astonishing lack of self-preservation. I only forward offensive e-mails from my personal address. I'm careful at work.

scoopyboy
26-11-2010, 09:58 PM

I expect the games to be off now, Dallas has probably walked because he can't get refs for the weekend.

Ants
26-11-2010, 10:01 PM
The church has put its tuppence worth in, when their Celtic followers were also having a go at the SFA.
Both the church and Celtic should get their own houses in order before condeming others.
We have all seen the offending picture, its just part of todays joke communications culture that occurs.

How many Bernard Mathews jokes are already on the go.... I believe the turkeys are now celebrating New Year... todays culture.....

miniboco
26-11-2010, 10:02 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/212319-hugh-dallas-leaves-post-at-sfa/

Saorsa
26-11-2010, 10:10 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/212319-hugh-dallas-leaves-post-at-sfa/Good riddance tae bad rubbish :bye:

givescotlandfreedom
26-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Dallas is a bawbag and we're well rid of him but as previously mentioned the catholic church demanding transprency after what they've covered up doesn't do them any favours.

PaulSmith
26-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Anyone who believes that Dallas going will help Scottish refereeing produce better refs is sadly deluded and ignorant of what he has done since coming into the post.
If anything we're in real danger if regressing 20 years.

One Day
26-11-2010, 10:20 PM

Dont worry you can go to confession and all will be well :wink:

lyonhibs
26-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Does anyone else think that - assuming the real reason for him resigning is the furore over him forwarding that jpeg - that it's absolutely insane that he has been forced out by an investigation into that, yet high-ranking officials in the Catholic Church remain in a job after what tens (if not hundreds) of their organisation perpetrated over an extended period of time??

Just my tuppence worth - I'm not saying Dallas was a particularly fine "Head of Referees" or anything, but the chasm in seriousness of offences commited, and subsequent consequences between the 2 is - I think the mot juste is - "gaping"

Big Frank
26-11-2010, 10:23 PM
:bye::bye: dallas ya cheating bawbag!

discman
26-11-2010, 10:25 PM
It is anti Catholic and someone like Dallas ought to know better in his position if he passed this on. Also and it does not excuse what has gone on in the Catholic church but there are even more sexual abuse cases against Protestant church clergy, yet nothing is really heard in the British media about that.

The Catholic church is an easy target, but all religions suffer from sexual abuse from within their ranks.

Vini any idea how many children worlwide? 60,000 and counting,want to google it? My mum and dad both catholics and they use to tell horror stories about the brothers and the nuns,theres no getting away from it and the countless cover ups!!!!!

If this was any other orgainisation other than an religous one it would be disbanded, you sexually abuse someone over a period of time your effectively stealing their life, I have worked with young people over ten years who have been subjected to abuse, there are no excuses for the adults whatsoever,any body on this post who have children, ask yourself what would you do if it happened to your kids?

Unfortunately the children abused by priests were usually vulnerable and trusting,why would they not trust a man of god? that makes it even more reprehensible, theres lots of good catholics vini,but the hierarchy are just evil!

ballengeich
26-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Does anyone else think that - assuming the real reason for him resigning is the furore over him forwarding that jpeg - that it's absolutely insane that he has been forced out by an investigation into that,

I can't defend him but :-
What has happened to the person who sent it to him?

The Harp Awakes
26-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Devils advocate here.

You complain of people slagging off the Catholics and at the same time say we "shouldn't tolerate Orange Walks". Hypocritical, no?

So being a Catholic and a member of the Orange Order is one in the same is it? Two sides of the same coin? Deary me, am I on hibs.net here or Follow Follow?

So maybe you think the BNP and black people are are equally accountable on both sides? Two sides of the same coin again?

Sir David Gray
26-11-2010, 10:51 PM
What he did was ill-advised but I can't help thinking that the only reason Hugh Dallas has been forced into making this decision is the fact that he works in Scottish football, and the two biggest clubs in the sport represent the sectarian divide between Protestants and Roman Catholics.

The SFA won't want to make this situation with Celtic any worse (and let's be honest, Celtic will take this e-mail to be a personal slight against them as they will deem themselves and Roman Catholicism to be one and the same) and if the SFA hadn't acted, they would see this as further proof that all of Scottish football is against them.

I don't believe that, if Hugh Dallas worked for the FA, he would be out of a job right now.

The e-mail was closer to the truth than many in the Catholic Church would like it to be and that is why they are trying to deflect attention away from the real issues that they continue to face within their own organisation. If there had been absolutely no proof that the Pope and the Catholic Church had connections, either directly or indirectly, with the sexual abuse of children then this e-mail would be completely unacceptable. As it is, sadly the e-mail reflects reality and I don't think somebody should be losing their job over it.

ScottB
26-11-2010, 10:52 PM
I'd love to know when the Pope became off limits to satire. Can we look forward to the presenters on Have I Got News For You, Mock the Week et all being forced out of their jobs for daring to link the Pope to the heinous crimes the Catholic Church have happily brushed under the rug over the years?

What a lot of nonsense.

So in the last week, the SFA have apparently had no time to sit down and smack Celtic's collective heads together over their ridiculous behaviour recently, but had plenty time to jump on Dallas after the Catholic Church started kicking up a fuss yesterday?

Quite apparently obvious where any bias actually lies at Hampden I'd say!

The_Todd
26-11-2010, 10:54 PM
So being a Catholic and a member of the Orange Order is one in the same is it? Two sides of the same coin? Deary me, am I on hibs.net here or Follow Follow?

Misreading what I'm saying. What I mean is you can't have a pop at someone for believing one thing while asking that nobody ever questions your own beliefs.

I don't particularly care for the orange order at all, on the contrary actively dislike it but I don't particularly think the Catholic Church has been covering itself in glory in this episode either by getting involved in something outside its juristriction.

Part/Time Supporter
26-11-2010, 10:59 PM
What he did was ill-advised but I can't help thinking that the only reason Hugh Dallas has been forced into making this decision is the fact that he works in Scottish football, and the two biggest clubs in the sport represent the sectarian divide between Protestants and Roman Catholics.

The SFA won't want to make this situation with Celtic any worse (and let's be honest, Celtic will take this e-mail to be a personal slight against them as they will deem themselves and Roman Catholicism to be one and the same) and if the SFA hadn't acted, they would see this as further proof that all of Scottish football is against them.

I don't believe that, if Hugh Dallas worked for the FA, he would be out of a job right now.

The e-mail was closer to the truth than many in the Catholic Church would like it to be and that is why they are trying to deflect attention away from the real issues that they continue to face within their own organisation. If there had been absolutely no proof that the Pope and the Catholic Church had connections, either directly or indirectly, with the sexual abuse of children then this e-mail would be completely unacceptable. As it is, sadly the e-mail reflects reality and I don't think somebody should be losing their job over it.

Not so sure about that.

If Premier League games faced being called off tomorrow and the Football League programme was wiped out due to a referee strike, with the FA scrambling around for referees from anywhere to fill the void, I think the head of refereeing in England would be in trouble.

Although I do think there needs to be clarity as to why he has resigned beyond hiding behind the stereotypical "family reasons" bull****.

FranckSuzy
26-11-2010, 11:00 PM
I'd love to know when the Pope became off limits to satire. Can we look forward to the presenters on Have I Got News For You, Mock the Week et all being forced out of their jobs for daring to link the Pope to the heinous crimes the Catholic Church have happily brushed under the rug over the years?

What a lot of nonsense.

So in the last week, the SFA have apparently had no time to sit down and smack Celtic's collective heads together over their ridiculous behaviour recently, but had plenty time to jump on Dallas after the Catholic Church started kicking up a fuss yesterday?

:top marks :agree: Playing right into 'their' hands I'd say.

ScottB
26-11-2010, 11:04 PM
:top marks :agree: Playing right into 'their' hands I'd say.

It's amazing that they can simultaneously get loads of decisions for them, the head of refereeing gets fired, yet there's also a massive conspiracy against them, all decisions are always wrong and everyones against the poor wee innocent Catholic club, not that they ever gave a toss about Ireland in the years when it might have mattered...

hibsdaft
26-11-2010, 11:14 PM
This is just despicable. As an organistion the Catholic Church tried en masse to suppress cases where it was shown that pure distilled evil was practiced on vulnerable and needy people and yet an un-funny spam e-mail gets blown out of all proportion. Makes my blood boil and confirms my beliefs that Sunday's are for cutting the grass and washing the car.

Bishop Hibee
26-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Vini any idea how many children worlwide? 60,000 and counting,want to google it? My mum and dad both catholics and they use to tell horror stories about the brothers and the nuns,theres no getting away from it and the countless cover ups!!!!!

If this was any other orgainisation other than an religous one it would be disbanded, you sexually abuse someone over a period of time your effectively stealing their life, I have worked with young people over ten years who have been subjected to abuse, there are no excuses for the adults whatsoever,any body on this post who have children, ask yourself what would you do if it happened to your kids?

Unfortunately the children abused by priests were usually vulnerable and trusting,why would they not trust a man of god? that makes it even more reprehensible, theres lots of good catholics vini,but the hierarchy are just evil!

The hierarchy are just evil? Utter garbage and ill informed. EVERY bishop, archbishop and cardinal is guilty of covering up child abuse? You may hate organised religion, but at least spout an opinion informed by FACTS instead of talking mince. Yes disgraceful decisions were made mainly in the 60's and 70's regarding child abusing clergy but to tar all current catholic church leaders with the same brush is ignorant at best and willfully bigoted at worst.

The Harp Awakes
26-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Misreading what I'm saying. What I mean is you can't have a pop at someone for believing one thing while asking that nobody ever questions your own beliefs.

I don't particularly care for the orange order at all, on the contrary actively dislike it but I don't particularly think the Catholic Church has been covering itself in glory in this episode either by getting involved in something outside its juristriction.

I don't disagree with anything you say about the Catholic Church not covering itself in glory but don't use this as an excuse to dismiss Dallas being an erse.

Also the point here is that openly disrepsecting a person's religion, their colour/creed or their beliefs as an athiest, is the same as disrespecting the person himself or herself. That's why Dallas had to go.

Pete
26-11-2010, 11:41 PM
I've seen the email and had a wee laugh as it's nothing more than a face-value piece of throw-away satire.

I honestly don't know what side of the fence to come down on...I'm just saddened that there is a fence in the first place and the man felt he had to resign. What the **** does this have to do with football?

This country isn't improving and the issues aren't going away. I'm sure some of these people revel in this with their humour one minute and sudden offence the next.

Insecure, self-loathing backwardness. Welcome to Scotland.

The Harp Awakes
26-11-2010, 11:57 PM
I've seen the email and had a wee laugh as it's nothing more than a face-value piece of throw-away satire.

I honestly don't know what side of the fence to come down on...I'm just saddened that there is a fence in the first place and the man felt he had to resign. What the **** does this have to do with football?

This country isn't improving and the issues aren't going away. I'm sure some of these people revel in this with their humour one minute and sudden offence the next.

Insecure, self-loathing backwardness. Welcome to Scotland.

One thing is for sure, publicly demonstrating prejudice is going to get you in soapy bubble. I think everyone in Scotland needs to go on an Equality and Diversity course every week otherwise we will all be out of a job:greengrin

IWasThere2016
27-11-2010, 12:26 AM

Spot on.

Feeds the tills of the OF however - get them tae eff!

The Harp Awakes
27-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Anyone who believes that Dallas going will help Scottish refereeing produce better refs is sadly deluded and ignorant of what he has done since coming into the post.

Well I think getting rid of the Chief hun lover in charge of all the Scottish refs is a good start. One down but plenty more to empty.

Green Knight
27-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Remember when the whoie of the Western world - no doubt including the Vatican, the Catholic Church in Scotland, and Loopy Lennon - was outraged about the Muslim reaction to Danish cartoons about their Prophet? How we all were amazed at the inability of ranting Imams to understand that a cartoon is a joke? The foaming-at-the-mouth ranting response of the Catholic Church's media spokesman to Dallas' "sin" was pretty similar.

It's a disgraceful reaction by the SFA to sack him, and Regan has again shown he's out of his depth.

There may be other reasons to say goodbye to Hugh Dallas, but that's not the point. Craven and cowardly. Giving in again to John Reid style bullying.

kaimendhibs
27-11-2010, 01:09 AM
I dont have any feelings for or against Hugh Dallas. Mind you, i am a hibs supporter and therefore support no conspiracy theories against him. What i will say, is people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. How many on here have received text jokes that are below the belt, laughed and passed them on. If not, well done, you are in a minority believe me

hibee_nation
27-11-2010, 01:19 AM
Well I think getting rid of the Chief hun lover in charge of all the Scottish refs is a good start. One down but plenty more to empty.

Too right mate, lets start on the priests next, empty them sick bassas too hiding behind the cloth. :grr:

Dashing Bob S
27-11-2010, 01:22 AM

I totally agree, but I doubt that Dallas would have been inclined to pass comment on the Roman Catholic church, had he been a referees official in any other country bar this one. He's steeped in the tradition of sectarian bigotry in Scotland.

I personal think that the Roman Catholic church should be disbanded and the Pope and all its leaders thrown in prison, but I've no agenda, other than simply hating that heinous organisation for the terrible crimes it has perpetuated.

Dallas's views are obviously underpinned by a gloating, point-scoring sectarianism, and he would loathe the RC church, even if it were the purest, most saintly, democratic and righteous organisation on Earth. For me, he has negated any right to pass judgement on them without his remarks being seen in a sectarian light. I'm delighted he's gone.

The Harp Awakes
27-11-2010, 01:29 AM

Reported on other fans websites that the e-mail originated within the SFA hence several resignations:dunno:

Now we know why Deek canny get a game for Scotland:greengrin

hibee_nation
27-11-2010, 01:33 AM
I totally agree, but I doubt that Dallas would have been inclined to pass comment on the Roman Catholic church, had he been a referees official in any other country bar this one. He's steeped in the tradition of sectarian bigotry in Scotland.

I personal think that the Roman Catholic church should be disbanded and the Pope and all its leaders thrown in prison, but I've no agenda, other than simply hating that heinous organisation for the terrible crimes it has perpetuated.

Dallas's views are obviously underpinned by a gloating, point-scoring sectarianism, and he would loathe the RC church, even if it were the purest, most saintly, democratic and righteous organisation on Earth. For me, he has negated any right to pass judgement on them without his remarks being seen in a sectarian light. I'm delighted he's gone.

That may be true but i doubt it, where is your evidence of that. All this thread proves to me is that there are bams on both sides of the religious spectrum and a vast majority of us who don't give a toss and poke fun at both sets of hand wringers. GGTTH and stuff all religions. Hibs is football if you want religion go to the Kirk or Chapel and gies peace. :bye:

Dashing Bob S
27-11-2010, 01:41 AM
That may be true but i doubt it, where is your evidence of that. All this thread proves to me is that there are bams on both sides of the religious spectrum and a vast majority of us who don't give a toss and poke fun at both sets of hand wringers. GGTTH and stuff all religions. Hibs is football if you want religion go to the Kirk or Chapel and gies peace. :bye:

Why should a referee's representative pass comment on the Roman Catholic church? My evidence is simply the fact that he felt the need to do so. Would it happen anywhere but Scotland?

Incidentally, you've can say cheerio all you like, but I actually agree with you, no time for any religion or church whatsoever, ER fulfills those all spiritual needs.

hibee_nation
27-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Why should a referee's representative pass comment on the Roman Catholic church? My evidence is simply the fact that he felt the need to do so. Would it happen anywhere but Scotland?

Incidentally, you've can say cheerio all you like, but I actually agree with you, no time for any religion or church whatsoever, ER fulfills those all spiritual needs.

Why shouldn't he, what gives them the right to be above ridicule when they deserve it through their actions. It woulld make no difference to me if the guy in the sign had a bowler hat drawn on him and some other warning given. It was a joke and unlike others i found it quite amusing but i'm sure others found it offensive, tough titties. Don't get hung up on the cheerio wee man i'm never sure who is the most apt figure when replying to others. :bye::greengrin

NOLA
27-11-2010, 02:14 AM

" the hierarchy are just evil" eh, what a load of pish, know you see why religion has been a constant in nearly every war this earth has witnessed, foolish statement to make.

ScottB
27-11-2010, 03:39 AM
Why shouldn't he, what gives them the right to be above ridicule when they deserve it through their actions. It woulld make no difference to me if the guy in the sign had a bowler hat drawn on him and some other warning given. It was a joke and unlike others i found it quite amusing but i'm sure others found it offensive, tough titties. Don't get hung up on the cheerio wee man i'm never sure who is the most apt figure when replying to others. :bye::greengrin

Indeed, he isn't above criticism or ridicule, as much as the Catholic Church seems to think he is.

Unless of course we are gonna start banning him from being discussed on TV or in the press unless it's only positive?

In our society, nobody is free from or above comment. Had Dallas sent something graphic, or perhaps an obviously bigoted statement, then he'd have crossed a line and would have deserved punishment. All we had here was a photo of a doctored sign making a humourous point about the Church's well known problems.

It's a colossal over reaction. Shall we ignore the crap the Pope got up to when it comes to bigotry while he was here too shall we? Like comparing atheists to Nazis.

Part/Time Supporter
27-11-2010, 05:12 AM
Spot on.

Feeds the tills of the OF however - get them tae eff!

I think the only true solution is to close the doors at Ibrox and Parkhead, permanently. The SFA could do that today if they grew a pair.

On the assumption that will never happen, the rest of the clubs should resign from the SPL (again) and try to force an end to OF manipulation. They're not wanted anywhere else and this sorry episode reflects really poorly on them in particular.

Sunny1875
27-11-2010, 07:21 AM
I'm pretty much Saddened that there has been a connection between a satirical eMail sent from whoever's account. And the referee's dispute this weekend, The dispute is almost wholly the product of Celtic FC and their continual bleating's about conspiracy, their badgering and barracking the Refs through the media connections which they have at their disposal.

Was Hugh Dallas wrong ....only because of the position he held.

are any of us innocent of passing on offensive items ..... Mercer song ?
Rudi skacel song ? the famine song ? Racist Jokes/ or comments

"let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"

When Jesus (the head of the church) didn't condemn the woman, not because He was a liberal, not because He condoned her sin, but because the men who brought the woman to Him were Hypocrites. Take a lesson please.

BroxburnHibee
27-11-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm pretty much Saddened that there has been a connection between a satirical eMail sent from whoever's account. And the referee's dispute this weekend, The dispute is almost wholly the product of Celtic FC and their continual bleating's about conspiracy, their badgering and barracking the Refs through the media connections which they have at their disposal.

Was Hugh Dallas wrong ....only because of the position he held.

are any of us innocent of passing on offensive items ..... Mercer song ?
Rudi skacel song ? the famine song ? Racist Jokes/ or comments

"let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"

When Jesus (the head of the church) didn't condemn the woman, not because He was a liberal, not because He condoned her sin, but because the men who brought the woman to Him were Hypocrites. Take a lesson please.

Wasn't it the Catholic church who called for Dallas to resign?

Oh the irony :wink:

lapsedhibee
27-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Don't get hung up on the cheerio wee man i'm never sure who is the most apt figure when replying to others. :bye::greengrin

A clearly dwarfist comment, and if you've any decency you'll resign from hibs.net.

hibiedude
27-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Whatever Hugh Dallas has done for Scottish football will forever be lost because of this email.

Kaiser1962
27-11-2010, 08:57 AM

The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Golden Bear
27-11-2010, 09:03 AM
The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Yet another sad day for Scottish fitba. The words laughing stock come to mind.

aberhibsfc
27-11-2010, 09:04 AM
p.s. The sad thing is, some Celtc fans are now claiming that this issue is absolute evidence of everything they've been saying, that the whole world is out to get them*. In fact, that the whole Referees dispute is an elaborate smokescreen for the Dallas issue, orchestrated by the man himself. :bitchy:

* Does that mean, then, that they think that the Roman Catholic Church and Celtc FC are one and the same?

:dunno:

It fits their physcie, for years they've defined themselves by comparing fouls, cards, decisions to justify their own shenanigans. The old football phone in chestnut of they got away with it why don't we, which to be fair Rangers fans use too. Though I can't remember Rangers fans ever being so paranoid, Celtic fans go about with this small man mentality that every ones out to get them. Religion is just another righteous weapon in their armoury.

Dallas is guilty of sharing a joke, which ain't very funny either and I don't mean the context, it's just a bit of a cheap pishy joke but if that brightens his day. Irrespective of whatever crime he has comitted, if any, if someone commits a crime you don't send the whole family, friends and anybody who knows me to jail either.

Just because one ex-whistler falls on his sword it doesn't make them all guilty by SF Association.

What the Celtc fans don't realise is there will be a fair share of referees which support their own club and dare I say it Catholic. It irks me the same as Celtc fans berating Rememberance when I am quite it's not just Protestants in the army serving their country. Was Reid not the defence secretary at one stage.

Best Fans In The World more like Infamy, Infamy they've all got it in for me.

Ignorant ****s!!

Baldy Foghorn
27-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Yes Dallas was stupid im doing what he did, but I am finding harder and harder to have sympathy with the Catholic church these days.....

I watched a documentary last night on Croatia and Bosnia in first World War, where ethnic cleansing occurred..... The Catholic Church met with the warlords and agreed to take a 3rd of the captives and turn them into Catholic believers, and then when the atrocities had occurred, 1 million brutally tortured and murdered the Catholic Church arranged for one of the Commanders to get a new life in Argentina.....

Also with the recent paedophile claims it beggars belief how corrupt a religious organisation can be.......

PaulSmith
27-11-2010, 09:10 AM
So what happens to the next guy that comes in , must he be 'Celtic Minded' for him to be allowed to carry out his role without undue duress.

If he isn't then will there be another orchestrated campaign led by Celtic Quick news, Kerrydale St, Celtic federations and backed up incredibly by the clubs Chairman.

Can anyone tell me, bar the charge surrounding the stupid e-mail, why Dallas should have been hounded out. I've read on here than it's great and he's a Hun bassa but there appears to be little substance attached to these grand statements.

I can tell you that every young referee in Scotland who has met with the referee department will be gutted at seeing their mentor treated disgustingly and thrown to the wolves. Yes I'm led to believe that Dallas was hard but his absolute desire was to create better referee's within Scotland for the good of the game. That's now gone and I'm at a loss right now to think how somehow this will improve refereeing in Scotland.

Part/Time Supporter
27-11-2010, 09:37 AM
So what happens to the next guy that comes in , must he be 'Celtic Minded' for him to be allowed to carry out his role without undue duress.

If he isn't then will there be another orchestrated campaign led by Celtic Quick news, Kerrydale St, Celtic federations and backed up incredibly by the clubs Chairman.

Can anyone tell me, bar the charge surrounding the stupid e-mail, why Dallas should have been hounded out. I've read on here than it's great and he's a Hun bassa but there appears to be little substance attached to these grand statements.

I can tell you that every young referee in Scotland who has met with the referee department will be gutted at seeing their mentor treated disgustingly and thrown to the wolves. Yes I'm led to believe that Dallas was hard but his absolute desire was to create better referee's within Scotland for the good of the game. That's now gone and I'm at a loss right now to think how somehow this will improve refereeing in Scotland.

It won't. Celtic (and Hearts) have been droning on about how they want to improve standards of Scottish referees. I fail to see how binning the one Scot who has refereed at the top level in the last 20 years will achieve that. What or who is he going to be replaced with?

Even the guy who resigned in disgust at Dallas' handling of the McDonald affair (Craven) praised his work in improving the fitness and general performance levels of Scottish referees.

"Don't get me wrong, Hugh has changed some things for the better.

"Our fitness is now at a higher level, albeit it means you have to spend more time away from your family.

"He also has asked senior officials to watch as many games as they can to assess young referees. I went out last Tuesday night to a game in Greenock to watch a young ref and offer him pointers.

"That has all been positive.

"But I just wish he'd stop treating the officials like children. That has to be a starting point to improve things."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/scotland/2010/10/31/refs-are-sick-of-the-harassment-and-bullying-from-hugh-dallas-insists-steven-craven-86908-22677857/

The Herald appears to be running the Celtic line in this article:

"Forces for change winning at SFA"...

This has been a hugely embarrassing and damaging week for Scottish football. Clubs have lost money, fans have been deprived of an opportunity to watch their teams and the national sport has been subjected to ridicule.

However, this might just be a price worth paying if Mr Regan has asserted his right to manage and increased his power to effect change.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/forces-for-change-winning-at-sfa-1.1071182

Aye, but change to what? Americans voted for "change" and "hope" not so long ago and are mostly unhappy now.

Regan appears to be Celtic's Manchurian Candidate.

:wink:

Phil D. Rolls
27-11-2010, 09:43 AM

Thats OK then.

Does anyone else think that - assuming the real reason for him resigning is the furore over him forwarding that jpeg - that it's absolutely insane that he has been forced out by an investigation into that, yet high-ranking officials in the Catholic Church remain in a job after what tens (if not hundreds) of their organisation perpetrated over an extended period of time??

Just my tuppence worth - I'm not saying Dallas was a particularly fine "Head of Referees" or anything, but the chasm in seriousness of offences commited, and subsequent consequences between the 2 is - I think the mot juste is - "gaping"

I am just glad I don't go in for these eMail jokes, as a mad Catholic could probably cost me my job. I trust they'll be equally keen to search for other perpetrators of such a dastardly deed. Mind you they'd be better off putting their own house in order first.

What a lot of nonsense.

They just can't seem to handle people laughing at them, no sense of humour that's all. What else would you expect with a German in charge.

I suppose if the Catholics shout loud enough telling us to stop picking on them then we might just give up. Anyway.....

This wee guy gets knocked down by a car, and a passer by checks to see if he's OK. "I think I might be dying", he says.

"Would you like me to get a priest", asks the good Samaritan.

"Nah, sex is the last thing on my mind", says the wee boy.

ahibby
27-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Who remembers the Dave Allen Shows? Dave was Irish Catholic and every show he did made fun of the Pope although I am not sure how far he took it. I wonder why the Catholic church didn't insist his show was taken of the box. Dallas has been stupid because he used his works email system to send what could be an offensive message and that is an offence in the workplace. Who wants a head of referees who is stupid?

Baldy Foghorn
27-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Who remembers the Dave Allen Shows? Dave was Irish Catholic and every show he did made fun of the Pope although I am not sure how far he took it. I wonder why the Catholic church didn't insist his show was taken of the box. Dallas has been stupid because he used his works email system to send what could be an offensive message and that is an offence in the workplace. Who wants a head of referees who is stupid?

Yes I remember Dave Allen and his gags about going to Catholic school, and how he was frightened as if you were naughty you got nailed to a cross.......

GordonHFC
27-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Is Tom Hanks available to play the lead role in the film !!!!!

Barney McGrew
27-11-2010, 10:11 AM

Spot on. All that will happen now is that the next appointment to Dallas' job will be under even more scrutiny, from Celtc fans to see if he's 'another hun' and from Rankgers fans to see if he's 'celtc minded' and put in to appease their green bretheren.

Other than him being (allegedly) guilty of sending a poor taste e-mail, which people all over Scotland will be guilty of doing on a daily basis, the only thing he's done is upset Celtc and their myopic fans.

He should have got a medal for that never mind the sack :cool2:

Phil D. Rolls
27-11-2010, 10:17 AM

Spot on. All that will happen now is that the next appointment to Dallas' job will be under even more scrutiny, from Celtc fans to see if he's 'another hun' and from Rankgers fans to see if he's 'celtc minded' and put in to appease their green bretheren.

Other than him being (allegedly) guilty of sending a poor taste e-mail, which people all over Scotland will be guilty of doing on a daily basis, the only thing he's done is upset Celtc and their myopic fans.

It wasn't Celtic that complained, it was the Catholic Observer, who have nothing at all to do with Celtic or the Church. That's what they say and I believe them.

Hibee Daz
27-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Sadly, given the behaviour of many of his senior accomplices, and the record of his institution in covering up the crime you rightly describe as heinous, I would be surprised if he was a virgin.

:stirrer: :offski:

lapsedhibee
27-11-2010, 10:48 AM
This wee guy gets knocked down by a car, and a passer by checks to see if he's OK. "I think I might be dying", he says.

"Would you like me to get a priest", asks the good Samaritan.

"Nah, sex is the last thing on my mind", says the wee boy.

Quite like that.

Did you post from a workplace computer, though? If so I don't like it at all. Disgrace.

greenginger
27-11-2010, 10:49 AM
It wasn't Celtic that complained, it was the Catholic Observer, who have nothing at all to do with Celtic or the Church. That's what they say and I believe them.

I wonder what our owner, STF, Papal Knight no less, makes of it all ?

johnrebus
27-11-2010, 10:53 AM
I wonder what our owner, STF, Papal Knight no less, makes of it all ?

He would say ' lets put the brakes on all of this, the whole situation is exhausted'.

Ah'll get ma coat.

:duck:

Hibee Daz
27-11-2010, 11:02 AM

:agree: :aok:

Hibee Daz
27-11-2010, 11:12 AM

:idea:We should just appoint a Jahovas Witness then, because they never annoy anybody!:whistle:

Barney McGrew
27-11-2010, 11:15 AM
:idea:We should just appoint a Jahovas Witness then, because they never annoy anybody!:whistle:

At least then Celtc wouldn't have to go chapping on the SFA's door for 'clarification' of decisions. They'd be round chapping on Celtc's every day :greengrin

Hibee Daz
27-11-2010, 11:24 AM
At least then Celtc wouldn't have to go chapping on the SFA's door for 'clarification' of decisions. They'd be round chapping on Celtc's every day :greengrin

Very good :top marks

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Yes I remember Dave Allen and his gags about going to Catholic school, and how he was frightened as if you were naughty you got nailed to a cross.......

And of course Dave Allen signed off his shows each week with the disclaimer of good night, god bless and may your god go with you. Making an inclusive point that most organised religons find it hard to do.

Keith_M
27-11-2010, 11:36 AM
They just can't seem to handle people laughing at them, no sense of humour that's all. What else would you expect with a German in charge.

What have you got against Germans? I demand clarification! You should resign immediately from hibs.net.

:grr:

Phil D. Rolls
27-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Quite like that.

Did you post from a workplace computer, though? If so I don't like it at all. Disgrace.

All I said was, "that halibut was fit for Jehova".

Bishop Hibee
27-11-2010, 11:54 AM
And of course Dave Allen signed off his shows each week with the disclaimer of good night, god bless and may your god go with you. Making an inclusive point that most organised religons find it hard to do.

Obviously offensive to atheists as he presumes belief in God :grr:

Actually, most organised religions do respect one another and work together to find common ground.

http://www.eifa.org.uk/index.html

http://www.interfaith.org.uk/index.htm

http://worldinterfaithharmonyweek.com

Let's not let facts get in the way of widely held prejudices though :rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
27-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Obviously offensive to atheists as he presumes belief in God :grr:

Actually, most organised religions do respect one another and work together to find common ground.

http://www.eifa.org.uk/index.html

http://www.interfaith.org.uk/index.htm

http://worldinterfaithharmonyweek.com

Let's not let facts get in the way of widely held prejudices though :rolleyes:

Guilty m'lud, I have a deeply held prejudice against paedophiles and those who defend them.

Seriously, do you think this latest piece of nonsense is representative of what all Catholics feel, or is it just a bunch of stirrers muddying the waters for everyone. If I was a Catholic I'd be cringeing with embarassment at the actions of what appears to be a fundamentalist wing of the church.

Bristolhibby
27-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Any chance we might get some transparency from the Catholic Church first ?

They could start by publishing the reports they have made into their own employees over the last 40 years for a start.

Or is that a private matter and of no concern us mere mortals ? :grr:

What a guy

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/23/texas.priest.arrested/

J

Bishop Hibee
27-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Guilty m'lud, I have a deeply held prejudice against paedophiles and those who defend them.

Seriously, do you think this latest piece of nonsense is representative of what all Catholics feel, or is it just a bunch of stirrers muddying the waters for everyone. If I was a Catholic I'd be cringeing with embarassment at the actions of what appears to be a fundamentalist wing of the church.

FR, for what it's worth while forwarding the email was stupid I don't think Dallas should have been sacked. As a former shop steward, I'd have been arguing for a written warning or similar rather than dismissal if representing him at a disciplinary.

A lot of Catholics I know feel that the vitriol against the Papal visit in Scotland is symptomatic of a wider intolerance to the espousing of any views influenced by the religious beliefs. They feel there is a perception that somehow catholics are stupid sheep who believe anything their leaders tell them to. This is frankly rubbish and patronising to believers.

I've posted before on the Holy Ground that catholics have nothing but disgust for any cover up of child abuse in the past by the catholic church hierarchy. What catholics take offense to is the idea that ALL priests, bishops etc are beasts, that religion is the root of all evil etc. All catholic churches are full of sinners fact.

I hope the above goes a little way to explaining the, in my opinion, over sensitivity of the RC church in reacting to the Dallas email in the way it did. Catholics can except criticism, by God we're used to it but a substantial amount given our way, much of it ill-informed and some of it ill disguised hatred becomes hard to take.

I'll be glad to get back to talking about football on HIbs.net rather than religion though :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
27-11-2010, 01:56 PM
FR, for what it's worth while forwarding the email was stupid I don't think Dallas should have been sacked. As a former shop steward, I'd have been arguing for a written warning or similar rather than dismissal if representing him at a disciplinary.

A lot of Catholics I know feel that the vitriol against the Papal visit in Scotland is symptomatic of a wider intolerance to the espousing of any views influenced by the religious beliefs. They feel there is a perception that somehow catholics are stupid sheep who believe anything their leaders tell them to. This is frankly rubbish and patronising to believers.

I've posted before on the Holy Ground that catholics have nothing but disgust for any cover up of child abuse in the past by the catholic church hierarchy. What catholics take offense to is the idea that ALL priests, bishops etc are beasts, that religion is the root of all evil etc. All catholic churches are full of sinners fact.

I hope the above goes a little way to explaining the, in my opinion, over sensitivity of the RC church in reacting to the Dallas email in the way it did. Catholics can except criticism, by God we're used to it but a substantial amount given our way, much of it ill-informed and some of it ill disguised hatred becomes hard to take.

I'll be glad to get back to talking about football on HIbs.net rather than religion though :agree:

I'm just dismayed at how big this whole silly situation has become. I can see that there is clearly an underlying tension in Scotland at the moment though.

Tbh I think there is a much bigger game unfolding here and that some people are after change at the SFA. With George Peat in such a strong position, who can blame them? Maybe they should move the whole set up East.:greengrin

Zorro
27-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Has the church been guilty of covering up sexual abuse by it's own clergy in the past? Is the pope a Catholic?!

Why Dallas has had to resign for this I just don't get - as far as I can see, it was a joke email saying the church has had problems with child abuse - hopefully all in the past, but still disgracefully covered up.

Which is the bigger sin - the abuse of children or an attempt at satire about the facts of the cover up? If we are to start having people removed for jobs for making jokes about these kind of things the dole queues are about to get very long.

And no, making a joke about the fact that church members abused children is not the same as making a joke about race or creed in my opinion.

Www1875hfc
27-11-2010, 01:57 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs583.ash2/150576_10150330656665315_667100314_15991065_695104 _n.jpg

Here is the pope's reaction to all this...

--------
27-11-2010, 02:05 PM
It won't. Celtic (and Hearts) have been droning on about how they want to improve standards of Scottish referees. I fail to see how binning the one Scot who has refereed at the top level in the last 20 years will achieve that. What or who is he going to be replaced with?

Even the guy who resigned in disgust at Dallas' handling of the McDonald affair (Craven) praised his work in improving the fitness and general performance levels of Scottish referees.

Dallas has been working hard to improve standards and improve refereeing standards. So he sent a private email making a joke about JP2's Rottweiler and paedophilia among Catholic clergy. Big furry deal - is the hierarchy going to try to ban half the western world?

IMO this isn't about standards of decency or even about refereeing impartiality. It's about religious thugs flexing their muscle, and the more often people like the SFA and SPL kowtow to them, the more aggressive they'll be. That's what bullies are like.

Part/Time Supporter
28-11-2010, 06:22 AM
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/celticfc/Tom-English-39In-effect-they.6642373.jp?articlepage=1

Tom English doesn't miss them.

These people purported to defend the Pope's honour in the wake of the toxic e-mail sent from Dallas's computer at Hampden. These are people who jumped on the bandwagon by declaring themselves insulted and offended by the lampooning of the Holy Father, who demanded that Dallas be sacked for a supposed act of sectarianism that grossly disrespected their faith and the head of their church. On Friday, this righteous flock turned into a baying mob and in that moment we saw their duplicity in all its ugliness. For these people, the Dallas e-mail wasn't an affront, it was an opportunity, a chance to hound a man they have had a grudge against for years and an association they've harboured bitterness about for generations.

marinello59
28-11-2010, 06:29 AM
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/celticfc/Tom-English-39In-effect-they.6642373.jp?articlepage=1

He has nailed it there. Depressing to see it laid out like that though.

Phil D. Rolls
28-11-2010, 11:36 AM

He has nailed it there. Depressing to see it laid out like that though.

Meanwhile, black people are abused in their homes, disabled people treated like an inconvenience, gay people attacked in the street, and feral children struggle to get their nutritional needs met. Welcome to Scotland, 2010, a bitter, divided country that once earned praise and admiration throughout the world.

What went wrong? Easy, a vacuum was created as we lost our best people NZ, Aus, and Canada. A hole that was filled by the cowardly, incompetent and flawed. People who had nothing to offer found themselves in positions where they were actually listened to, instead of made to stand in a corner or sent out for biscuits whilst the grown ups discussed matters.

Step forward George Peat, the Catholic Observer, and all you other snivveling snottery nosed groups of righteously indignant. Sectariansim isn't Scotland's shame, you are in your full ugly, ignorant presence.

People who had never taken responsibility for their own lives, have ended up in a position where they can dictate to others how they should live theirs. I have never had much time for Hugh Dallas, he's a ref. He did work hard at his job, but that would never be enough.

He offended people. People who are well used to carrying their offence around with them, nursing it, feeding it and protecting it. What else do they have to define them, and connect them to their neighbours?

It's like Doddie said earlier, these people are nothing but bullies. They will be back for more, unless the likes of the police and courts can find a way of telling them to go away and grow up.

Why don't they devote more of their energy to cleaning up the biggest toilet in the world (aka West Central Scotland)? Unfortunately this country is full of people just searching for something to be offended about, rather than working together to improve their community.

:hmmm: Work or offence, it's a no brainer really. Which is probably why it appeals to so many people.

marinello59
28-11-2010, 11:44 AM
It's like Doddie said earlier, these people are nothing but bullies. They will be back for more, unless the likes of the police and courts can find a way of telling them to go away and grow up.

Why don't they devote more of their energy to cleaning up the biggest toilet in the world (aka West Central Scotland)? Unfortunately this country is full of people just searching for something to be offended about.

Outrageous. Toilets everywhere will be offended. :grr:

Part/Time Supporter
28-11-2010, 11:53 AM

Why don't they devote more of their energy to cleaning up the biggest toilet in the world (aka West Central Scotland)? Unfortunately this country is full of people just searching for something to be offended about.

Tom English better check his locks and find a good quote on double glazing. Its outrageous that an, erm, Irish Catholic is airing such blatantly sectarian anti-Irish and anti-Catholic views. He should be ashamed of himself.

As for genuinely solving the problem, that sounds far too much like hard work. Its far easier to make petty points and have so much fun, as long as you are distracted from the devastation it is causing.

Phil D. Rolls
28-11-2010, 11:57 AM

Tom English better check his locks and find a good quote on double glazing. Its outrageous that an, erm, Irish Catholic is airing such blatantly sectarian anti-Irish and anti-Catholic views. He should be ashamed of himself.

As for genuinely solving the problem, that sounds far too much like hard work. Its far easier to make petty points and have so much fun, as long as you are distracted from the devastation it is causing.

That's the crux of the matter. :agree:

number9dream
28-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Frankie Boyle summed up it up nicely when he joked: "That's us coming in to land in Glasgow. For the local time, please set your watches back 700 years."

Phil D. Rolls
28-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Frankie Boyle summed up it up nicely when he joked: "That's us coming in to land in Glasgow. For the local time, please set your watches back 700 years."

You sure he was joking?

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2010, 02:27 PM

Ok, but enough of the wee man. I'm 6 ft two in stocking soles!

Kaiser1962
29-11-2010, 08:16 AM

He also made a comment about Al-Qaeda having the audacity to bring religous war to the streets of Glasgow. "Yer 500 years too late pal!"

Satire is like that. Offends some and humours others but usually has a message about a much greater injustice. Like Dallas' e-mail..........

Part/Time Supporter
29-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Richard Dawkins sticks his oar in

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/555416-football-referee-sacked-for-pope-joke

:faf:

JimBHibees
30-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Was it not more a culmination with regard to Dallas in terms of how the McDonald incident was dealt with including some pretty fierce criticism of him by Craven the Assistant referee, was there not allegations of bullying etc. Given his position and the depressingly unique nature of Scottish football it was crass stupidity IMO for Dallas to be involved in such a thing. Is it much different to passing on a pretty lame but racist email ? Whether he should or indeed was sacked for the email alone is probably something we will never know.

Phil D. Rolls
30-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Was it not more a culmination with regard to Dallas in terms of how the McDonald incident was dealt with including some pretty fierce criticism of him by Craven the Assistant referee, was there not allegations of bullying etc. Given his position and the depressingly unique nature of Scottish football it was crass stupidity IMO for Dallas to be involved in such a thing. Is it much different to passing on a pretty lame but racist email ? Whether he should or indeed was sacked for the email alone is probably something we will never know.

I don't think it was racist, sectarian maybe.