PDA

View Full Version : World Cup bidding

down-the-slope
25-11-2010, 08:36 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11838472

Fifa must be proud of their decision to to Rio..........and to think the Flack Englands bid has received

Englands bid is way ahead of the rest if it was judged on history / potential sponsorship / stadia in existence / infastructure etc etc

Phil D. Rolls
26-11-2010, 09:35 AM

Fifa must be proud of their decision to to Rio..........and to think the Flack Englands bid has received

Englands bid is way ahead of the rest if it was judged on history / potential sponsorship / stadia in existence / infastructure etc etc

England is surely due another shot, one of the biggest football nations on earth, and 50 years since their last WC finals. Germany has had it twice, Mexico has had it twice - they've even given it to the USA.

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-11-2010, 09:55 AM
England is surely due another shot, one of the biggest football nations on earth, and 50 years since their last WC finals. Germany has had it twice, Mexico has had it twice - they've even given it to the USA.

England ain't due nothing in my book, the most obnoxious and hated country in the world..

marinello59
26-11-2010, 10:16 AM
England ain't due nothing in my book, the most obnoxious and hated country in the world..

Really? :confused:

Phil D. Rolls
26-11-2010, 10:20 AM

Yeah, compared to them North Korea, Burma, and Russia are bastions of humanity and fairness.

discman
26-11-2010, 10:21 AM

I thought that was America??

Ps want to talk about it? :greengrin

snooky
26-11-2010, 10:22 AM

An early Christmas present for you -> :tin hat:
:greengrin

jackhfc
26-11-2010, 10:29 AM
I'd be glad if it were held in england, less travelling to go see Scotland in the final:greengrin:cool2:

Hank Schrader
26-11-2010, 11:21 AM

Xenophobic bollocks :rolleyes:

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Xenophobic bollocks :rolleyes:

works both ways then...believe me

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Yeah, compared to them North Korea, Burma, and Russia are bastions of humanity and fairness.

As a football nation...FFS :bitchy:

Phil D. Rolls
26-11-2010, 11:25 AM
As a football nation...FFS :bitchy:

Sorry, I picked you up wrong there. Anyway, I don't think the rest of the world cares too much about them, Germany hate Holland more at football, for example.

England don't achieve enough in internationa football for anyone to hate them, IMO.

Twiglet
26-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Back to the original post, I'm sure FIFA would have taken into account the social situation and goings on of Rio and Brasil.
Riots in Rio are nothing new. They have happened before and will happen again. I'm not sure what causes them each time (I know that in the past some have been caused by drug wars in the favellas, others by police trying to catch criminals living inthe favellas), but they sometimes blow up to an extent that the world media start reporting it.
Having been to Brasil twice I would have no qualms about going back for the world cup.
It's like anywhere, you just have to know where to go in Rio.

discman
26-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Back to the original post, I'm sure FIFA would have taken into account the social situation and goings on of Rio and Brasil.
Riots in Rio are nothing new. They have happened before and will happen again. I'm not sure what causes them each time (I know that in the past some have been caused by drug wars in the favellas, others by police trying to catch criminals living inthe favellas), but they sometimes blow up to an extent that the world media start reporting it.
Having been to Brasil twice I would have no qualms about going back for the world cup.
It's like anywhere, you just have to know where to go in Rio.

Tell that to Mr Button :greengrin

soproni1
26-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Tell that to Mr Button :greengrin

:agree:

HenryMonk
26-11-2010, 12:35 PM
works both ways then...believe me

small mindedness on both sides!! and its a small number...believe me

southfieldhibby
26-11-2010, 02:35 PM
I hope Iberia gets it.Looks likely too imo, they already have the Latin American voting block and it looks like the non-deal with the middle east block actually did happen, looking about, they seem confident they have 6/7 votes already.Between them and Russia with England knocked out in the first round of voting.

England just look to be really disliked within FIFA, whether thats down to to tabloid journos and panorama, or the perceived arrogant attitude of their bid team (Triesman did them no favours) I think there is more chance of Scotland hosting a WC before England do again.

In their bid England offered up something like 10,000 hotel rooms, Iberia offered over 80,000.The stadia is just as good in Spain/Portugal,transportation is better,weather is better and they actually have a basis for carping on about how good their football is, unlike England.

Sas_The_Hibby
26-11-2010, 02:51 PM
With regard to Brazil, were there not just as many, if not more, concerns about security in South Africa prior to the successful World Cup there?

As far as 2018's concerned, much as I'd like to see England get it, I doubt they will. In that event I'd prefer Russia to the two joint bids but suspect Spain / Portugal will win, despite Spain having hosted as 'recently' as 1982.

I thought FIFA had ruled out future joint bids after Japan / S Korea in 2002, anyway. :confused: Obviously not.

discman
26-11-2010, 03:52 PM
With regard to Brazil, were there not just as many, if not more, concerns about security in South Africa prior to the successful World Cup there?

As far as 2018's concerned, much as I'd like to see England get it, I doubt they will. In that event I'd prefer Russia to the two joint bids but suspect Spain / Portugal will win, despite Spain having hosted as 'recently' as 1982.

I thought FIFA had ruled out future joint bids after Japan / S Korea in 2002, anyway. :confused: Obviously not.

Firstly i'd love England to get it just love it,if only because it would be accessible... I'd love to watch the world cup as a spectator at the games, chances like that are like hens teeth it would excellant, asto the Russian bid apparently the distances between venues is even further apart than in S.A. and if not England then am saving up for a 3d telly:greengrin

Criswell
26-11-2010, 07:23 PM
I would like to see England get it as well. but I doubt it will happen. the voting system is so corrupt (see forthcoming BBC Panorama expose) and England will try to play it fairly.

NYHibby
27-11-2010, 11:23 AM
[url]

Other than history, England's bid is far behind the USA's in the categories you have listed. World Cup 94 is still the highest attended (even though it only had 24 teams), most profitable world cup ever. The US's stadiums are far ahead of England's. You could hold the World Cup only in stadiums larger than 90,000 if you wanted. England does not any larger than 90,000. Half of the sponsors at any given World Cup are American companies.

DH1875
27-11-2010, 11:35 AM
I'd love it if England got it, anyone who can rem euro 96 can't argue, even if we dont make it.

Phil D. Rolls
27-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Other than history, England's bid is far behind the USA's in the categories you have listed. World Cup 94 is still the highest attended (even though it only had 24 teams), most profitable world cup ever. The US's stadiums are far ahead of England's. You could hold the World Cup only in stadiums larger than 90,000 if you wanted. England does not any larger than 90,000. Half of the sponsors at any given World Cup are American companies.

There were quite a lot of empty seats at the World Cup in South Africa though.

Sas_The_Hibby
27-11-2010, 06:49 PM

Except USA aren't bidding for 2018!

I very much doubt Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium or Russia have very many over 90.000 capacity stadia so I'm not sure what you're on about!

down-the-slope
27-11-2010, 07:32 PM
:rolleyes:

Except USA aren't bidding for 2018!

I very much doubt Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium or Russia have very many over 90.000 capacity stadia so I'm not sure what you're on about!

:agree: i assumed that people understood i was comparing with those others who could win (i.e. actually in the bidding for 2014)

Cocaine&Caviar
27-11-2010, 07:32 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_by_capacity rediculous amount of US ones on there.

IberianHibernian
27-11-2010, 08:01 PM
I would like to see England get it as well. but I doubt it will happen. the voting system is so corrupt (see forthcoming BBC Panorama expose) and England will try to play it fairly. Whatever accusations are made on Panorama they won`t prove voting system as such is corrupt and why do you think England will " play it fairly " ? Do people still really believe English/British are in some way more honest than other nationalities especially when a lot of money is at stake ? In Spanish press they seem to think Russian bid is main rival to Spain/Portugal but at same time they always talk about votes going tp Sp/Po or England and not Russia . Spain`s highspeed rail network is a huge plus as is having so many hotel rooms in Sp and Po. Portugal has 3 excellent stadiums which makes it easy for Spain to better England`s stadiums too . Reckon it`s too hot in Spain/Portugal for good football or to be comfortable for fans and would like to see the Netherlands/Belgium bid win but it never seems to get a mention . If England win , would our training centre be a possible training centre for teams ? Could possibly be used if any team can be based at a hotel with suitable facilities within easy reach - don`t know if places like Peebles Hydro or hotels in East Lothian would be suitable . Not sure if FIFA regulations mean that training centres during tournament have to be in host country but even if that is the case maybe our centre could be used before a World Cup just as many teams were based in Austria before South Africa.

bighairyfaeleith
27-11-2010, 08:41 PM

Quite right, sod the PC, england is full of ****ing cants:wink:

HIBERNIAN-0762
28-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Quite right, sod the PC, england is full of ****ing cants:wink:

Yip and their moronic deluded media as well, they have NO right to host any cup competitions inho, they have done nothing in world football for years except wreck every country they have ever played in, they want it so they don't have to qualify and will have it won if (god forbid) they get to host it, sorry but the last world cup was bad enough listening to their pathetic excuses

:agree::agree::agree:

The Green Goblin
28-11-2010, 06:13 PM

Before you judge too quickly, consider this: Brazil has a population of almost 200 million and has a land mass the same size as the U.S.A minus Alaska. You need to consider things in context. That means correcting your post and starting with the fact that FIFA gave the World Cup to Brazil, a country, and not Rio, a city. Rio is just one of many cities in Brazil which will host World Cup matches.

They gave the World Cup to the U.S.A in `94, despite it`s appalling gun crime statistics - and in case that`s too general for you, have a look at the following list of countries and their gun crime statistics:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita

You will see the U.S.A at number 24 and the UK at number 46, but wait a minute! Where is Brazil? That`s right - it`s not on the list, or at least not in the top 62 countries on that list in terms of gun crime or murders per capita. But why let facts get in the way of stereotyping a country because the only news reports you get on it appear when something kicks off in the favelas?

I have no problem with England being awarded the world Cup, but as a country, it has problems too. Should FIFA consider the threat to visiting supporters and take the binge drinking gangs of youths and countless violent assaults on England`s city streets into account when making their decision? Or what about the large number of cities England fans have trashed in recent years of tournaments and qualifiers?

My point is, your finger pointing at Brazil and the reasons for it was pretty lazy and based on media stereotype reporting. If you want to know what a truly amazing country Brazil is, and why it and it`s people will make a fabulous World Cup host country, then come and spend some time here.

GG

NYHibby
28-11-2010, 06:53 PM
They gave the World Cup to the U.S.A in `94, despite it`s appalling gun crime statistics - and in case that`s too general for you, have a look at the following list of countries and their gun crime statistics:

You will see the U.S.A at number 24 and the UK at number 46, but wait a minute! Where is Brazil? That`s right - it`s not on the list, or at least not in the top 62 countries on that list in terms of gun crime or murders per capita. But why let facts get in the way of stereotyping a country because the only news reports you get on it appear when something kicks off in the favelas?

According to wikipedia, Brazil's rate is almost 5 times that of the US. But why let incomplete facts get in the way of making your point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

NYHibby
28-11-2010, 06:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_by_capacity rediculous amount of US ones on there.

I've been to Beaver Stadium, number 4 on that list. Incredible atmosphere when 110,000 people are there. Nothing I've seen in this country compares to it.

GreenCastle
28-11-2010, 07:13 PM
England to get 2018

USA to get 2022

NYHibby
28-11-2010, 07:17 PM
England to get 2018

USA to get 2022

One of us needs to change our name.

Have I asked where in NY you're from?

LaMotta
28-11-2010, 07:31 PM
England to get 2018

USA to get 2022

Australia has a good chance of 2022 me thinks

Storar
28-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Sorry, I picked you up wrong there. Anyway, I don't think the rest of the world cares too much about them, Germany hate Holland more at football, for example.

England don't achieve enough in internationa football for anyone to hate them, IMO.

FR, having been in South Africa while the World Cup was on I can confirm that the rest of the world have little or no time for England (the football team anyway). Believe me, when I was out watching the England games there were no neutrals. There were English folk wanting England to win and Mexicans, South Africans, Germans, Italians etc all strongly supporting the opposition. I never saw that happen with any other team!

discman
28-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Whatever accusations are made on Panorama they won`t prove voting system as such is corrupt and why do you think England will " play it fairly " ? Do people still really believe English/British are in some way more honest than other nationalities especially when a lot of money is at stake ? In Spanish press they seem to think Russian bid is main rival to Spain/Portugal but at same time they always talk about votes going tp Sp/Po or England and not Russia . Spain`s highspeed rail network is a huge plus as is having so many hotel rooms in Sp and Po. Portugal has 3 excellent stadiums which makes it easy for Spain to better England`s stadiums too . Reckon it`s too hot in Spain/Portugal for good football or to be comfortable for fans and would like to see the Netherlands/Belgium bid win but it never seems to get a mention . If England win , would our training centre be a possible training centre for teams ? Could possibly be used if any team can be based at a hotel with suitable facilities within easy reach - don`t know if places like Peebles Hydro or hotels in East Lothian would be suitable . Not sure if FIFA regulations mean that training centres during tournament have to be in host country but even if that is the case maybe our centre could be used before a World Cup just as many teams were based in Austria before South Africa.

Eh Jack Warner?? makes my dogs back legs straighter than a dye!!! check Wickipedia

The only reason I want England is I could watch the world cup at the stadiums :greengrin

The Green Goblin
29-11-2010, 01:16 AM
According to wikipedia, Brazil's rate is almost 5 times that of the US. But why let incomplete facts get in the way of making your point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Ah yes, Wikipedia, that well known source of reliable statistics and information. My mistake - the U.S doesn`t have a gun crime problem. Very good.

And thanks for ignoring the whole point of my post, which was that it`s lazy to judge an entire country by a single BBC news article.

GG

greenlex
29-11-2010, 04:12 AM
The losing finalist at any world cup should host the one 4yeats later. Stop all this corruption and tactical nonsense.

HIBERNIAN-0762
29-11-2010, 07:10 AM
FR, having been in South Africa while the World Cup was on I can confirm that the rest of the world have little or no time for England (the football team anyway). Believe me, when I was out watching the England games there were no neutrals. There were English folk wanting England to win and Mexicans, South Africans, Germans, Italians etc all strongly supporting the opposition. I never saw that happen with any other team!

Exactly my point, but in reality the english media is the culprit by building up false hopes then circling in on the manager for picking his nose in public, I also think SSN are probably the worst out of the lot with that obnoxious Nick Collins the new Motson (if that's possible).

I don't know of any country who wants them to succeed at any sport tbh.

marinello59
29-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Exactly my point, but in reality the english media is the culprit by building up false hopes then circling in on the manager for picking his nose in public, I also think SSN are probably the worst out of the lot with that obnoxious Nick Collins the new Motson (if that's possible).

I don't know of any country who wants them to succeed at any sport tbh.

Given the way many Scots start conversations involving England I can see why that would be the perception. :wink:

NYHibby
29-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Ah yes, Wikipedia, that well known source of reliable statistics and information. My mistake - the U.S doesn`t have a gun crime problem. Very good.

And thanks for ignoring the whole point of my post, which was that it`s lazy to judge an entire country by a single BBC news article.

GG

Ah yes, attacking Wikpedia's credibility when everything is clearly cited, the favorite past time of the pseudo intellectual.

No, your post was clearly attempting to lambast everyone here for what you viewed as falsely stereotyping your home. You presented faulty statistics to support your claim that it is a misconception that Brazil has a crime problem.

However, it turns out that Brazil does have a murder rate that is several times higher than European or North American countries. The premise of your agreement isn’t true. Brazil has a serious problem that you can’t write off as being “pretty lazy and based on media stereotype reporting”.

If anything is lazy, it’s basing your view of Brazil on one person’s anecdotal comments.

The whole gun crime in the US is a red herring. You were hoping to play off the typical European response to the mention of guns.

Gus
29-11-2010, 11:13 AM
England are ***** at major tournaments, sad fact :boo hoo:, build ourselves up with a good qualifying compaign, then BOOM back to being like Scotland, *****

Clearly some peoples hold some strong hatred for their Neighbours, :blah:

Would it not be good for BRITAIN if the world cup was staged in England?

Why don't Scotland bid for a tournament? Could be the only time some folk get to see them play at a major tournament

down-the-slope
29-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Before you judge too quickly, consider this: Brazil has a population of almost 200 million and has a land mass the same size as the U.S.A minus Alaska. You need to consider things in context. That means correcting your post and starting with the fact that FIFA gave the World Cup to Brazil, a country, and not Rio, a city. Rio is just one of many cities in Brazil which will host World Cup matches.

I have no problem with England being awarded the world Cup, but as a country, it has problems too. Should FIFA consider the threat to visiting supporters and take the binge drinking gangs of youths and countless violent assaults on England`s city streets into account when making their decision? Or what about the large number of cities England fans have trashed in recent years of tournaments and qualifiers?

My point is, your finger pointing at Brazil and the reasons for it was pretty lazy and based on media stereotype reporting. If you want to know what a truly amazing country Brazil is, and why it and it`s people will make a fabulous World Cup host country, then come and spend some time here.

GG
Wrong..it is based on having been there...got married there...have many friends both here and in Brasil who are Brasilian...

You are correct that other countries including England have problems. But the level of street crime in Brasil is high with tourists seen as an easy target. (Madrid is also a street crime hot spot from experience)

Mikey
29-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Tonight's Panorama could well see the end of England's bid.........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11841783