PDA

View Full Version : (NHC) Playing with the rules

snooky
25-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Two Real players deliberately get themselves sent off so that they miss the last group game and go into the play-offs with no cautions against them.
IMO, FIFA should take action and ban these players for two or more games and/or change the laws to eliminate this mis-use of the rules.

It's not in the spirit of the game.
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

MrHibs1982
25-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Think i seen another thread about this the other day.
Diplomatically i would think they can only be banned/fined if they are to be in breach of rules which i am pretty sure they are not.
Can you put such a rule in that states if you are deliberately sent off in a champions league group stage match to avoid a suspension in the knockout stages you will be banned for a further game?! :confused:

H18sry
25-11-2010, 01:56 PM
:wink: http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?198193-Alonzo-and-Ramos

maturehibby
25-11-2010, 02:30 PM
apparently it was our no 1 ref Craig Thomson who did the deed

Woody1985
25-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Rules are rules and systems are there to be played. The guys did what they did within the rules and is perfectly acceptable IMO.

It's not in the 'spirit of the game' to dive, cheat, moan, harass refs etc etc etc but so what, it happens.

People work systems in all walks of life to their advantage. This is no different, you could say that it's morally wrong/spirit of the game but the game isn't ruled by morals, it's ruled by rules.

marinello59
25-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Rules are rules and systems are there to be played. The guys did what they did within the rules and is perfectly acceptable IMO.

It's not in the 'spirit of the game' to dive, cheat, moan, harass refs etc etc etc but so what, it happens.

People work systems in all walks of life to their advantage. This is no different, you could say that it's morally wrong/spirit of the game but the game isn't ruled by morals, it's ruled by rules.

Isn't diving and cheating (by it's very nature) against the rules?

easty
25-11-2010, 03:54 PM
I remember Hibs and Rangers played out a 0-0 game with neither side going for the win a few years back, they won the league and we qualified for Europe.

Similar in that it's not breaking any rule, but goes against the spirit of the game.

Actually, was it 1-0 to them?? And that suited us so neither team was playing any football towards the end?

Woody1985
25-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Isn't diving and cheating (by it's very nature) against the rules?

yes, they are but they go against the spirit of the game and still happen and there are rules to deal with them.

There are no rules against getting booked deliberately despite it not being in the spirit of the game. Therefore it's perfectly acceptable.

Is blocking some of the worlds best players from major finals for bookings and sending offs they didn't deserve not against the spirit of the game? Take fletchers booking a couple of finals ago as an example, booked for nout in the semi.

If there's not a rule against it then it's acceptable.

Would people have prefered them to go in hard on someone to mask their attempt to get booked or waste some time. As you've demonstrated, people will still break the rules.

jackhfc
25-11-2010, 04:42 PM
IMHO it was a pretty smart move by 'the chosen one', the game was already tied up, as was qualifying to the last 16, so why not?:confused: Just wish they covered it up a bit better, getting bored of hearing of it all the time on Sky Sports News :thumbsup:

Jim44
25-11-2010, 04:48 PM
IMHO it was a pretty smart move by 'the chosen one', the game was already tied up, as was qualifying to the last 16, so why not?:confused: Just wish they covered it up a bit better, getting bored of hearing of it all the time on Sky Sports News :thumbsup:

:agree: Not in the spirit of the game but probably defensible as in using the rules to your advantage. Reminds me of the great Seve Ballesteros who was a past master of it in golf.

SidBurns
25-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Mourinho/Real Madrid have been charged by UEFA

Woody1985
25-11-2010, 05:30 PM
So are we going to use retrospective evidence for diving? That's cheating.

marinello59
25-11-2010, 06:13 PM
yes, they are but they go against the spirit of the game and still happen and there are rules to deal with them.

There are no rules against getting booked deliberately despite it not being in the spirit of the game. Therefore it's perfectly acceptable.

Is blocking some of the worlds best players from major finals for bookings and sending offs they didn't deserve not against the spirit of the game? Take fletchers booking a couple of finals ago as an example, booked for nout in the semi.

If there's not a rule against it then it's acceptable.

Would people have prefered them to go in hard on someone to mask their attempt to get booked or waste some time. As you've demonstrated, people will still break the rules.

No it isn't. Just because something not specifically mentioned in the rules doesn't make it acceptable. It is cheating which they probably can't be punished for but that doesn't make it right. If we took that sort of logic in to everyday life it would be even more of a screwed up world than it already is.

Greentinted
25-11-2010, 06:20 PM
The mists of time may be obscuring my hindsight but I have a vague recollection of Beckham exploiting the rules in a similar manner when playing for England. Maybe someone blessed with more perspicacity than I can elucidate.

Woody1985
25-11-2010, 07:00 PM
No it isn't. Just because something not specifically mentioned in the rules doesn't make it acceptable. It is cheating which they probably can't be punished for but that doesn't make it right. If we took that sort of logic in to everyday life it would be even more of a screwed up world than it already is.

It's acceptable within the rules of the game. It may not be acceptable by morals or the spirit of the game and until the rules change it is acceptable.

Whilst I understand the point you're making and why you're making it I disagree in this instance.

If we have an outcry over this where does it stop?

Is it in the spirit of the game for defenders to shield the ball out of play despite not being in control of it? It's not in the spirit of the game but it's acceptable and people will continue to do it unless they are forced to do otherwise.

There's probably dozens of things that go on in football that aren't in the spirit of the game but no one is causing an outrage over it because they happen more often.

Play tae the whistle!

Hibs Class
30-11-2010, 05:38 PM
UEFA have banned Mourinho and issued several fines following this match.

http://uk.uefa.com/uefa/footballfirst/matchorganisation/disciplinary/news/newsid=1570988.html#madrid+disciplinary+decisions+ announced

Woody1985
30-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Joke.

Let's see if they'll make up any other rules about things like diving. Doubt it.

marinello59
30-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Joke.

Let's see if they'll make up any other rules about things like diving. Doubt it.

But there are rules about diving.

ballengeich
30-11-2010, 07:54 PM
If the organising committee had the option to defer a suspension, it would deal with this particular piece of cheating. The players sent off would be eligible for the last group game, but would miss a knock-out game. It doesn't change the rules, just the administration of them.