PDA

View Full Version : Will you still go on Saturday if outside refs are brought in?

H18sry
25-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Well?

More for the unionists amongst us

MacBean
25-11-2010, 10:04 AM
could well be a good thing, some of the "men in charge" here are useless.:agree:

PaulSmith
25-11-2010, 10:05 AM
could well be a good thing, some of the "men in charge" here are useless.:agree:

Your right, maybe we'll be lucky enough to get the referee who officiated in the Champs League game between Braga and Arsenal.

H18sry
25-11-2010, 10:05 AM
If you were not attending anyway, please refrain from voting :wink:

Steve20
25-11-2010, 10:06 AM
I agree with the refs on this strike, but it certainly will not stop me from going to Easter Road on Saturday.

Keith_M
25-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Well?

More for the unionists amongst us

So, not for the celtc fans then?

:dunno:

H18sry
25-11-2010, 10:09 AM
So, not for the celtc fans then?

I cant see many Celtc fans attending ER on Saturday which is the poll question

Keith_M
25-11-2010, 10:12 AM
I have a Season Ticket and have only seen four home games with it so far this season. On that basis, I've voted yes, because it means missing yet another.

Call me selfish if you like but, before you do, tell me how many players you think will refuse to cross the "picket line" in support of the refs.

Keith_M
25-11-2010, 10:13 AM
I cant see many Celtc fans attending ER on Saturday which is the poll question

Whoosh!

Danderhall Hibs
25-11-2010, 10:14 AM
I was brought up to never cross a picket line but is this actually a strike or are they just with-holding their labour? I can’t see what they want out of striking – what are the demands?

It’s just a tantrum they’re having, not a strike.

Keith_M
25-11-2010, 10:16 AM
I was brought to never cross a picket line but is this actually a strike or are they just with-holding their labour? I can’t see what they want out of striking – what are the demands?

Genuine question here. What's the difference? Is withholding labour not the same as a strike?

Danderhall Hibs
25-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Genuine question here. What's the difference? Is withholding labour not the same as a strike?

A strike’s normally for a reason. You’d be in dispute about something and have a list of “demands” and have been through a process of discussions etc and got to a stage where there was no other option but to strike.

The ref’s are in the huff and have decided not to turn up for their work. It’s likely to be a gross-misconduct offence if they don’t go to their work for no reason.

HFC 0-7
25-11-2010, 10:20 AM
I was brought to never cross a picket line but is this actually a strike or are they just with-holding their labour? I can’t see what they want out of striking – what are the demands?

Dont think its crossing the picket line if you attend. If employees at a bank branch were to strike and they brought employees in from another branch you would still go in to get your money. I dont go to watch refs, I dont support refs as such its all about Hibs for me, nothing about refs so I will be there.

I do worry about this strike, I wonder if the refs get their way they will be able to keep quiet after a didgy decision. Everyone should be accountable for their actions and have to justify certain decisions but they shouldnt be hounded out about, a happy medium needs to be sought.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-11-2010, 10:26 AM
I will be there. For reference purposes, I will be about half way up. in the last bit of the east nearest the FF. Will be fairly obvious as I will shouting scab, scab scab for 2 x 45 minutes.

Is it too late to organise a " Give Celtc and Lennon" the Red Card demo?:rolleyes:

Danderhall Hibs
25-11-2010, 10:32 AM
If they don’t turn up are the SFA within their rights to sack them?

Steve20
25-11-2010, 10:34 AM
The SFA should be more concerned about punishing Celtic than bringing in foreign refs. Celtic's behaviour this season has been disgraceful and the refs are spot on. They haven't named Celtic but we all know it's because of them.

H18sry
25-11-2010, 10:47 AM
The SFA should be more concerned about punishing Celtic than bringing in foreign refs. Celtic's behaviour this season has been disgraceful and the refs are spot on. They haven't named Celtic but we all know it's because of them.

It's not just Celtc, it's mad vlads comments last season aswell, that has got on there nerves.

Twa Cairpets
25-11-2010, 11:10 AM
If they don’t turn up are the SFA within their rights to sack them?

If its a serious question, the use of the word "strike" here, as I understand it, is a general term rather than the outcome of a employment dispute. Strictly speaking, again as I understand it, the referees are essentially a sub-contracted service provider, so as individuals can't be sacked, but I suppose their Association (the SFRA) could have their service contract terminated.

scoopyboy
25-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Having sympathy for refs is one thing, refusing to go to Easter Road to support Hibs is another.

If a walk up fan decides not to go on Saturday he is hurting Hibs and nobody else.

I don't see why Hibs should suffer financially irrespective if you support the refs or not.

As an aside if anybody outwith a st holder doesn't go it will never even be noticed as how could it be quantified?

The Gorf
25-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Of course I will be going. I have followed Hibs for over 40 years. It's a natural instinct to go to Easter Road on a home day. I would still be going even if it was in Perth.:thumbsup:

GGTTH

.Sean.
25-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Why would the choice of referee deter somebody from attending a football match?

Geo_1875
25-11-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm sure they are registered as self-employed and are refusing to provide a service rather than offikcially striking. If so, the SFA are in trouble:

Dinkydoo
25-11-2010, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=scoopyboy;2646060]Having sympathy for refs is one thing, refusing to go to Easter Road to support Hibs is another.

If a walk up fan decides not to go on Saturday he is hurting Hibs and nobody else.

I don't see why Hibs should suffer financially irrespective if you support the refs or not.
QUOTE]

Agree 100% :top marks

I'm still planning to make the trip.

number9dream
25-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Where on earth will the SFA get referees from? Officials from just about every nation that is off-season have said they will not break the strike.

If they can scrape a ragtag bunch of officials together, they are likely to focus on Sunday's televised games in the SPL and ALBA Cup final. Maybe the same refs could do a few games on Saturday.

I reckon we will be watching the rugby on Saturday...

Argylehibby
25-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Yes I will be there. Staying away only hurts Hibs and while I support the strike if games are cancelled the people on strike dont lose anything as they will be paid when the game is played. How many people do you know went on strike but got paid for catching up on the backlog?

Danderhall Hibs
25-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Yes I will be there. Staying away only hurts Hibs and while I support the strike if games are cancelled the people on strike dont lose anything as they will be paid when the game is played. How many people do you know went on strike but got paid for catching up on the backlog?

The posties always do a rake of overtime to catch up.

tanfield
25-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Why would the choice of referee deter somebody from attending a football match?

:agree::agree::agree:

MrHibs1982
25-11-2010, 12:00 PM
I would like ref's to be able to come back at people like that wee tw@t lennon. In reply to hearing lennon talk about his pish performance just say "well i think lennon's tactics were gash,what was he doin playing so and so and how badly were they defending at crosses. If i was a supporter i would be asking why is this guy in charge" or something along those lines, would love to see the look on lennons face!! :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
25-11-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm supporting my brethren in the black. Have spent so many years attacking them with vitriolic ferocity, it's payback time for Bobby here. The players union scabbos should be behind this too.

bawheid
25-11-2010, 12:15 PM
I won't be going if there are scabs refereeing. The refs need to force the SFA to deal properly with Celtic (and to an extent Hearts). This guy Stewart Regan has been weak so far, asking the refs to reconsider or attempting to bring in scabs instead of getting to the root of the problem.

blackpoolhibs post on the other thread sums up my feelings.

I disagree, if they didn't go through with their threats imho nothing would have changed. Unless things are seen to have changed, what was the point in all this?

They need the SFA to come out with a set of new rules, rules that protect the ref's. Things cant carry on as they have been. We are never going to have referee's from another country. This lot are here for the long term, they need to know they can ref a game without their integrity being questioned every 5 minutes.

They need to know clubs players and managers are going to respect them, and understand they are not perfect, and will make mistakes. All their screaming in the refs faces does is fuel the supporters hatred, and adds to the pressure they have every week. Their needs to be a complete turn around in behaviour from the players and some managers. Thats why i believe they have to go ahead with this strike.

What happens each and every Saturday in scotland, at football grounds throughout the country, cant carry on. Its come to a head now, we have a chance to change the way football has gone forever.

:top marks

basehibby
25-11-2010, 12:56 PM
This is a tough question and after much deliberation I've voted YES.

Much as I support the refs in their stance I won't do so to the detriment of the Hibs. Also, it's the refs that are on strike not the supporters - if the bin men were on strike would I refuse to put out my refuse to be picked up by outside contractors? If the Fire Brigade were on strike would I bar the army crew of a Green Godess from saving my burning home? I don't think so.

So - IF - and it is a big IF - the SFA manage to line up alternative officials for saturday then I'll be there to pay my ticket, buy my bovril and shout on the Hibees.

H18sry
25-11-2010, 01:19 PM
STUC backing the refs now http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9221836.stm

al bundy
25-11-2010, 01:54 PM
I think what the refs are doing is 100% correct, but i don't think it will put anybody off going on saturday and if it does well:bye:

JimBHibees
25-11-2010, 02:00 PM
I was brought up to never cross a picket line but is this actually a strike or are they just with-holding their labour? I can’t see what they want out of striking – what are the demands?

Agree attention seeking self important nonsense IMO.

bod
25-11-2010, 03:21 PM
The posties always do a rake of overtime to catch up.

against the unions advice

Baldy Foghorn
25-11-2010, 03:56 PM
I would attend the match even if we had Bonnie Langford reffing and Ant and Dec as linesmen.......

HibbyAndy
25-11-2010, 04:09 PM

We went on strike a year or two ago and i got the sqaure route of F.all to catch up.We ended up over our time and carrying double mail.

The amount of folk that think Posties get paid for being on strike is scary.

scoopyboy
25-11-2010, 04:11 PM
I would attend the match even if we had Bonnie Langford reffing and Ant and Dec as linesmen.......

Bonnie Langford eh.

Personally I don't see what any Hibs fan not going because of the referees is actually achieving.

Maybe someone who is refusing to go can explain to me.

MSK
25-11-2010, 04:11 PM
I would attend the match even if we had Bonnie Langford reffing and Ant and Dec as linesmen.......:greengrin

Sir David Gray
25-11-2010, 04:14 PM
I have sympathy with the way the referees have been treated by Neil Lennon and John Reid, and Celtic FC in general, but I'm afraid that won't stop me from going to Easter Road on Saturday to watch Hibs.

If that makes me a scab, or whatever the trade unions like to call people like that nowadays, then so be it.

JimBHibees
25-11-2010, 04:31 PM
All SFL games off apart from the Challenge Cup final and one Division one game. IMO time for the refs to get a grip when they are directly affecting already skint football clubs. Get over yourselves FFS.

camhibby1
25-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Yes - I am a Hibernian supporter - I shall be there - it has cost me money and I want to see foreign referees in the domestic situation. You never know - it might be that a pool of European referees may be the answer to the 'bias' 'favouritism' which seems to find its way to both sides of the OF

Tony1962
25-11-2010, 04:48 PM

Withdrawal of labour is striking and like you I was brought up never to cross picket line. Regadles of what my though are regarding the strike i will not be attending on Sat.

scoopyboy
25-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Withdrawal of labour is striking and like you I was brought up never to cross picket line. Regadles of what my though are regarding the strike i will not be attending on Sat.

Are you expecting a picket line?

JimBHibees
25-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Are you expecting a picket line?

I hope Charlie Richmond is on it :greengrin

.Sean.
25-11-2010, 04:59 PM
In my opinion, it's no coincidence all this furore surrounding refereeing decisions started when that ginger prick was appointed Celtic boss.

Can't we just shoot Neil Lennon, then we can all get back to normal?

lucky
25-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't think the refs have a case. They are ones who have made that many mistakes that it is coming back to haunt them now. That said i feel really uncomfortable about this bringing in a scab workforce that is morally wrong. I do appreciate that it is not actually a strike they are just not making themselves available for this weekend. If they have a genuine grievance then they should be telling us then the spineless ones at the SFA could sort it. Whilst Lennon and Reid have behaved appallingly recently Dougie McDonald and Hugh Dallas have been worse. But lets not forget that Derek Adams has problems with refs and is just ending a 16 game ban. Yogi got 6 last season so our management are hardly innocent in all of this.

marinello59
25-11-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't think the refs have a case. They are ones who have made that many mistakes that it is coming back to haunt them now. That said i feel really uncomfortable about this bringing in a scab workforce that is morally wrong. I do appreciate that it is not actually a strike they are just not making themselves available for this weekend. If they have a genuine grievance then they should be telling us then the spineless ones at the SFA could sort it. Whilst Lennon and Reid have behaved appallingly recently Dougie McDonald and Hugh Dallas have been worse. But lets not forget that Derek Adams has problems with refs and is just ending a 16 game ban. Yogi got 6 last season so our management are hardly innocent in all of this.

The referees would concede that they make mistakes and they certainly expect to get a fair degree of criticism. What has happened recently (and it has probably built up over a few seasons) is different. I agree with you about the spineless SFA and that is why the referees have had to take action. I still don't think the SFA realise just how serious the referees grievances are and that is after this action has been taken.

Phil MaGlass
25-11-2010, 05:30 PM
We should all be boycotting Parkhead and Swiney

heretoday
25-11-2010, 05:31 PM
We should circulate refs on a Euro-wide basis. I'm sure the Uefa can afford it in the interests of fairness.

After all, they are always going on about Fair Play so what about Fair Reffing?

Then there can be no argument.

I have spoken.

Baldy Foghorn
25-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Are you a scottish referee?:confused:

monktonharp
25-11-2010, 06:21 PM
We went on strike a year or two ago and i got the sqaure route of F.all to catch up.We ended up over our time and carrying double mail.

The amount of folk that think Posties get paid for being on strike is scary. Nah, see...........if yir oan strike,yer oan strike and dinnae get paid. I should know,as I was oan strike for a year and never got paid and never caught up but when there is a principal envolved,getting paid disnae matter in the grand scheme o' things,so if there is any scabbing going on,count me oot.

Nakedmanoncrack
25-11-2010, 08:28 PM
For me the point is that it is not actually a real strike they are merely not making themselves available for this weekend, it's a big difference. Actually striking requires the jumping through of several hoops for it to be legal (think of British Airways dispute). That said I've no respect for the foreign refs who could have shown solidarity like their colleagues elsewhere but chose not to. But on balance I would be prepared to go, however I'm going to give it a miss anyway as despite having a ST I'm totally uninspired at the moment, going to a gig in glasgow on Saturday night so taking option of going through earlier rather than have a mad rush post-match.

SunnyLeither
25-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Are you a scottish referee?:confused:

No, he's a ST holder who sits not far from you :wink:

Sympathy? yes

Will I be going? ???? leaning to a yes

I'm churning up over this but I'm probably going to go but will be registering my thoughts with their employers in some way. What I would have to ask is what Fraser Wishart is doing in all of this, will he be supporting his members directly dealing with strikebreakers??

I'm also slightly peed off with referees from other countries scabbing on fellow pro's doing the same job as they do. :bitchy::bitchy:

Life's just one big quandry........

Removed
25-11-2010, 08:45 PM
No, he's a ST holder who sits not far from you :wink:

Sympathy? yes

Will I be going? ???? leaning to a yes

I'm churning up over this but I'm probably going to go but will be registering my thoughts with their employers in some way. What I would have to ask is what Fraser Wishart is doing in all of this, will he be supporting his members directly dealing with strikebreakers??

I'm also slightly peed off with referees from other countries scabbing on fellow pro's doing the same job as they do. :bitchy::bitchy:

Life's just one big quandry........

Fraser Wishart was on radio Scotland earlier tonight. You'll probably get it on listen again.

And the foreign ref head said he never knew what the story was which I find very strange. I have never been in any union but I understand the solidarity feelings expressed by some on here. Surely the first thing you'd ask is why do you need foreign refs, then tell the sfa to f off :dunno:

McKenzie
25-11-2010, 09:14 PM
MrHibs1982

I would like ref's to be able to come back at people like that wee tw@t lennon. In reply to hearing lennon talk about his pish performance just say "well i think lennon's tactics were gash,what was he doin playing so and so and how badly were they defending at crosses. If i was a supporter i would be asking why is this guy in charge" or something along those lines, would love to see the look on lennons face!! :greengrin

class :top marks would pay the guys wages if he were to say it :faf:

Jones28
25-11-2010, 09:40 PM
I've already got my season ticket you see....

new malkyhib
25-11-2010, 09:49 PM
class :top marks would pay the guys wages if he were to say it :faf:

me too! i hope the ref that gets Celtc's game gives them a penalty - and then changes his mind.

Then after Celtc complain again, we'll have to fly in martians to ref the matches...

francobaresi
25-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Well I promised junior I'd take her to her first game at ER & no strike by the refs will stop us. Highly unlikely there would be a picket line but would be intrigued to see how as they could stop anyone going to watch their team, regardless who is officiating.

We'll be there...

ggtth

Hermit Crab
27-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Sorry cant cross a picket line. Cant stand scabs either.:bitchy:

Tony1962
27-11-2010, 03:03 PM
To all the officials that were involved in refereeing todays Scottish Games .....dirty f*****g SCABS!:grr:

MSK
27-11-2010, 03:28 PM
To all the officials that were involved in refereeing todays Scottish Games .....dirty removed SCABS!:grr:No they werent ..

Ernie Cobra
27-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Every fan in attendance also broke a picket line theoretically

Tony1962
27-11-2010, 04:27 PM

Yes they did! Thats why I did not go today

Tony1962
27-11-2010, 04:28 PM
No they werent ..

and why not may i ask?

hibee
27-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Thank god they did so we didn't have to suffer a midweek game in this weather when the kids miss out on a game because it's too cold and too late for them.

Andy74
27-11-2010, 04:32 PM
and why not may i ask?

They withdrew availability. It wasn't a strike.

Tony1962
27-11-2010, 04:36 PM
They withdrew availability. It wasn't a strike.

Withdrawal of Labour is striking. It was a strike.....I never crossed a picket line and I never will.

Part/Time Supporter
27-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Withdrawal of Labour is striking. It was a strike.....I never crossed a picket line and I never will.

1. I understand there wasn't a picket line.

2. If a bunch of self employed plumbers decide to withdraw their labour from a contractor for whatever reason, is another plumber who accepts work from that contractor really a scab?

Don't see it myself.

MSK
27-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Withdrawal of Labour is striking. It was a strike.....I never crossed a picket line and I never will.Good for you ..most of these guys have well paid full time jobs ..today all they lost was a bit credence & some pocket money ..tough titty ...the ones i do feel sorry for are the clubs who have lost much needed income ..

Tony1962
27-11-2010, 04:50 PM
1. I understand there wasn't a picket line.

2. If a bunch of self employed plumbers decide to withdraw their labour from a contractor for whatever reason, is another plumber who accepts work from that contractor really a scab?

Don't see it myself.

There does not have to be a actual picket line (for me anyway) I would be still crossings.

And yes if a contractor was treating there sub contractors badly resulting in them withdrawing labour then yes anyone else doing that job would be scabbing. Just my old solidarity with workers view :greengrin

Jamesie
27-11-2010, 05:58 PM
There does not have to be a actual picket line (for me anyway) I would be still crossings.

And yes if a contractor was treating there sub contractors badly resulting in them withdrawing labour then yes anyone else doing that job would be scabbing. Just my old solidarity with workers view :greengrin

To equate turning up at the game today with "scabbing" just doesn't work for me I'm afraid when you consider the end result.

Normally crossing a picket line would result in a benefit to the employer and withdrawal of labour would equally cause difficulty to the employer (as well as the striking workforce of course).

Crossing the "picket line" today was of no consequence to the employer - the SFA. By not turning up today, the only person fans would be damaging would be an innocent third party - Hibs.

The analogy therefore doesn't work for me and I had no qualms at all in turning up at Easter Road today.

Removed
27-11-2010, 07:12 PM
To equate turning up at the game today with "scabbing" just doesn't work for me I'm afraid when you consider the end result.

Normally crossing a picket line would result in a benefit to the employer and withdrawal of labour would equally cause difficulty to the employer (as well as the striking workforce of course).

Crossing the "picket line" today was of no consequence to the employer - the SFA. By not turning up today, the only person fans would be damaging would be an innocent third party - Hibs.

The analogy therefore doesn't work for me and I had no qualms at all in turning up at Easter Road today.

:agree: all this scab stuff is a tad embarrassing imo.

Solidarity, don't make me laugh

Baldy Foghorn
27-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Sorry cant cross a picket line. Cant stand scabs either.:bitchy:

Did you not go then Rooney?

Baldy Foghorn
27-11-2010, 07:48 PM

utter tosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony1962
27-11-2010, 08:25 PM

First of all to clarify I never called any fan that attended todays game a scab that could only apply to the officials as they took the place of the strikers.

If all the fans had not attended today (I and I know that would not happen) but if it did happen the clubs would be suing the employer for not resolving he situation.

MSK
27-11-2010, 08:41 PM
First of all to clarify I never called any fan that attended todays game a scab that could only apply to the officials as they took the place of the strikers.

If all the fans had not attended today (I and I know that would not happen) but if it did happen the clubs would be suing the employer for not resolving he situation.Plenty games lost today due to the Referee's "hissy fit"..yet tae hear of claims being submitted ..