PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite sport outwith Football

seanraff07
24-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Following on from the thread about Scotland's 2nd sport..

Outwith Football, what's your favourite sport?

I'd say mines is either Boxing or Darts, i really can't decide, i think i'm more into Darts during the winter when it's on more often but apart from then i'd say Boxing is my favourite.:agree:

Removed
24-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Bike racing. Love the roads, nw200 my favourite

DarrenSQH
24-11-2010, 09:33 PM
NFL by a long way. Sometimes actually prefer it to football when Scottish football in particular and its same old problems get to me.

Been over to new Orleans for games and I loved it.

Sir David Gray
24-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Tennis for me. There's times when I would actually rather watch a tennis match than a game of football as you don't get any of the cheating and play-acting that goes on in football.

I don't think you can beat a great tennis match in terms of excitement and drama.

Mibbes Aye
24-11-2010, 09:48 PM

I'd say mines is either Boxing or Darts, i really can't decide, i think i'm more into Darts during the winter when it's on more often but apart from then i'd say Boxing is my favourite.:agree:

Cricket.

It's a team game but it's also a game of individual battles, like no other. And then again, it can be a game of partnerships, opening bats or a spinner and keeper for example.

And then to add to that, random things like the size of the cracks in the ground in front of the wicket, or the amount of humidity in the air can affect the outcome of the match completely.

It may take five days at its longest and doesn't always end satisfactorily, but at its best it is sporting drama at its finest.

H18sry
24-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Golf without a doubt

BroxburnHibee
24-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Golf - even though I'm pish :greengrin

Sergey
24-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Golf - even though I'm pish :greengrin

:agree:

Maybe your better on your home course!

Sergey
24-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Cycling (road) for me.

I've been following the sport since I could pick up a syringe and inject forbidden chemicals into my bloodstream. I love the sport....and the scandal that surrounds it.

Darts and snooker I'm also fond of.

I'm also enjoying losing large wads of dough on greyhound racing :wink:

HibbyScott
24-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Formula One. By miles

Hibbie_Cameron
24-11-2010, 10:25 PM
I really enjoy most sports. Only ones i hate are horse racing and baseball.

Would say Ice Hockey and darts are joint second behind football for me

LancashireHibby
24-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Rugby league, grew up playing and watching it and probably prefer it to football in the sense I could watch any game at any level, whereas I need to have some of a vested interest in most football games. Got a season ticket for Leigh Centurions (Championship) and only missed two games in three years, one of which was a Challenge Cup game in the south of France when my flight was cancelled because of the volcanic ash cloud (it was only two weeks after I'd seen us play away to Toulouse in the league anyway!)

greenlex
25-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Golf. Love playing the game but have to confess am becoming rather bored watching it of late. Gone are the days of settling down for 4 days to watch a tournament. Final round I can just about hack unless it's a major. 4 days of the John Deere classic or the Shell Houston open isn't doing it any more.

Dunbar Hibee
25-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Don't really take any notice whatsoever in other sports away from Football. I like watching the boxing if im bevyin especially if it's a big fight so probably that.

HH81
25-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Rugby league, grew up playing and watching it and probably prefer it to football in the sense I could watch any game at any level, whereas I need to have some of a vested interest in most football games. Got a season ticket for Leigh Centurions (Championship) and only missed two games in three years, one of which was a Challenge Cup game in the south of France when my flight was cancelled because of the volcanic ash cloud (it was only two weeks after I'd seen us play away to Toulouse in the league anyway!)

I'm with this guy, however when I went to Toulouse, not only did I drink more but I went to watch a better team...............Cougars :greengrin

Sylar
25-11-2010, 09:57 AM
There are so many sports I would chose to watch ahead of football these days.

American Football, Ice Hockey, Baseball are the others I enjoy watching on TV.

In terms of participating - snowboarding, golf, lacrosse and the odd game of pool/snooker are the only ones I really play.

southfieldhibby
25-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Golf.Infact, I enjoy playing/watching golf more than football.I've got a season ticket at ER but will sometimes not go and play golf instead.I spend more money on golf and dont feel like I'm being ripped off, unlike the imposters who wear the Hibs jersey from time to time.

I can watch a tournament happily too, or to be precise, European tournaments where I believe there is more personalities and more variation of skills on show over the bomb and gouge stadium effort of The USPGA.The next four days are looking very good.

Playing The Glen on sunday, it will be baltic,windy and my slice will be out no doubt, but I'll enjoy it more than ER (refs depending) on Saturday.

Just Jimmy
25-11-2010, 12:03 PM
I like most sports, after football I love american football, and depending on my mood sometimes prefer it to 'football'.

I enjoy cycling (road) and both take part and watch it regularly. I like Ice Hockey, Darts, Golf, horse racing and so on.

I cannot stand baseball, basketball or rugby however.

Ritchie
25-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Golf :agree:

Golden Bear
25-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Golf for me. It offers the eternal challenge and must be the most frustrating game ever invented.

But I love it really.

:greengrin

Pretty Boy
25-11-2010, 01:23 PM
A joint 2nd for boxing and golf for me.

I probably watch and play/take part in these 2 sports considerably more than i do football these days if i'm being honest.

New Corrie
25-11-2010, 02:06 PM
I like Golf, Darts, Boxing, Stock Car Racing and Nascar (just back from the Texas 500).

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Over the last 6 years or so i've really got into watching rugby. Particularly the tri-nations where the intensity is amazing. A lot of the rules continue to pass me by though.

Darts, snooker and top level cricket can hold my attention too.

The gee gees should get a mention too, but, only for punting purposes.

Womens mud wrestling though its hard to find on SKY!

DH1875
25-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Golf ( I'm really, really poor though) and all things American especially NFL and NCAA football :thumbsup:.

heretoday
25-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I think it's very much TV driven. I used to be a rugby/cricket fanatic (apart from Hibs) and I used to go to The Open Golf too, having been a reasonable golfer as a kid.

Then I fell ill and I spent an uncomfortable time in the late 90s. During that time I used to watch telly a lot in the wee hours.

I started watching US Baseball and became intrigued by the tension between the pitcher and the batter. That interest lasted for ten years and I am sorry the Baseball is no longer available on terrestrial TV.

GhostofBolivar
26-11-2010, 01:21 AM
Ice Hockey by a country mile. Has everything you could possibly want from a team sport.

Newry Hiby
27-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Mine is by far Gaelic football.

jackhfc
28-11-2010, 12:05 AM
No doubt golf, playing and watching, had a pretty good season aswell which increased my enthusiasm for the game, reckon i'll only play a couple of times this winter though, try and loose my dodgy swing haha :greengrin

LancashireHibby
28-11-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm with this guy, however when I went to Toulouse, not only did I drink more but I went to watch a better team...............Cougars :greengrin

I saved a fortune with not drinking much last time (though enough to lock myself out of my hotel room the first night!) but will definitely be making up for it in 2011. Got a tip off about our fixtures so already booked our flights a few days ago even though the date won't be official until tomorrow.

Nuitdelune
28-11-2010, 05:52 PM
National Hunt Racing--same old friends come out year after year with some new boys, and Formula 1 likewise

Houchy
08-12-2010, 03:37 PM
I'd have to say golf but I have gone off it competely at the moment. Not played (or even looked at a golf club) for about 6 months. Just had no inclination at all. I'm actually enjoying not playing and having long lies on a Saturday instead of getting up early to play in winter league matches.

Sylar
13-12-2010, 10:05 AM
I'd have to say golf but I have gone off it competely at the moment. Not played (or even looked at a golf club) for about 6 months. Just had no inclination at all. I'm actually enjoying not playing and having long lies on a Saturday instead of getting up early to play in winter league matches.

This needs to remedied :agree:

The_Todd
13-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Hockey, and by hockey I mean ice hockey. In fact, in recent years it's probably my overall favourite sport.

HibsMax
15-12-2010, 04:25 PM
NFL all the way. I used to be into baseball but I've cooled off over the last couple of years. I don't know how I could sit and watch that for 3 hours at a time.....several nights a week no less!

Sylar
15-12-2010, 04:51 PM
NFL all the way. I used to be into baseball but I've cooled off over the last couple of years. I don't know how I could sit and watch that for 3 hours at a time.....several nights a week no less!

If you're a Red Sox fan, it's not difficult to understand why :greengrin

Haymaker
15-12-2010, 05:10 PM

Its why I dont watch Baseball anymore! :greengrin

My second sport would be American Football followed by Ice Hockey or Basketball although this season I havent been up to date with Hockey or Basketball which is a shocker.

DH1875
16-12-2010, 07:02 PM

Thought you were a Tigers fan :hmmm:.

Alway's like to catch up on the highlights but can't watch a full game till the play-off's come around.

Sylar
16-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Thought you were a Tigers fan :hmmm:.

Alway's like to catch up on the highlights but can't watch a full game till the play-off's come around.

I am - I lived near Boston for a while, so know a lot of Sox fans - my family (who still live there) are Sox fans for the most part and they've been fairly miserable watching them under Francona in recent years. I simply meant I understand his pain quite well.

I do have a soft spot for them, but it seems too trendy to support the Red Sox or Yankees over here - the Tigers connection comes from going to a few games whilst studying over there.

It's nice to sit back and watch a full game when the summer months come around - if there are early games (afternoon US time), they generally start around 5pm and it can be nice to kick back with a beer, outside with the wireless signal!

markom127
16-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Has to be Formula 1

HibsMax
17-12-2010, 07:30 PM
LOL

The worst thing that could have happened to the Sox was winning two championships. I loved the Sox as the underdogs but now that they have won a couple of times, in recent history, the magic is kinda gone. Plus, it's just too damn long and boring. LOL.

.Sean.
20-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Snooker! :agree:

Dirkster23
30-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Baseball and ice hockey for me. I used to play hockey when i was younger and still keep an eye on it (NHL), but haven't been to many games since the BNL went down the tubes.

In recent years i've really gotten into baseball. The Red Sox are my team, so i'm looking forward to next season after their busy winter meetings :greengrin

OtterHibee
30-12-2010, 10:59 PM

Formula One by some distance.

I was an F1 fan long before I became interested in football.

chorley_fm
31-12-2010, 05:39 PM
MMA or UFC

I get way more excited than I ever do watching football anymore

Rugby Union, started playing and coaching, also love catching 6 nations games

Dashing Bob S
02-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Football vies with boxing, horse racing and sailing as my favourite sport, with tennis, MMA, ice hockey and baseball not too far behind.

I loathe golf, cricket and motorsports and hate rugby, but really enjoy watching rugby sevens - seems t bring out the pace aqnd sill of the game more.

hibsbollah
02-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Kabbadi.

West Upper
02-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Darts :agree:

The_Todd
02-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Kabbadi.

Now there's a blast from the past, we used to play that in the Scouts!

hibsbollah
03-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Now there's a blast from the past, we used to play that in the Scouts!

kabbadi kabbadi kabbadi kabbadi:thumbsup:
Go Tamil Nadu:cool2:

H18SScottW
07-01-2011, 09:02 PM

:thumbsup: It's in the Lancs/Yorks blood - I was born in Billinge and even though my Dad went to St Helens games in those days I caught the bug with the Wigan sides of the 80's and went to the Challenge Cup final of 1989 at Wembley when Wigan stuffed Saints 29-0. Even with the 'modernisation' of League it's still a gladiatorial physical contest and vastly superior to Union IMHO.

hibeeliam
07-01-2011, 09:32 PM
bowls for me :agree::thumbsup:

Danderhall Hibs
07-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Even with the 'modernisation' of League it's still a gladiatorial physical contest and vastly superior to Union IMHO.

IMO League fans bother more about it being superior to Union than anything else.

It's just a big game of British Bulldogs IMO. :greengrin

MSK
08-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Cannae beat a good game o bowls..:agree: