PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes 2010/11

Mibbes Aye
24-11-2010, 02:21 PM
It's nearly here!!! :thumbsup:

I love the Ashes, especially when it's Down Under. There are so many questions, so many variables in the run-up to that first ball at the Gabba. And then England collapse :greengrin

Or maybe not - the last Ashes in Australia saw the home side take revenge for England's 2005 triumph in a manner that couldn't have been more emphatic - a 5-0 whitewash. But that was with a team featuring Langer, Hayden, Gilchrist, McGrath and Warne

Can they repeat the feat this time? They've not got the players mentioned above - some of the greatest players of all time.

They still have Ricky Ponting though - another of the all-time greats and likely captaining his last Ashes, certainly on home soil.

England look the strongest they've been in a while. Do their Ashes debutants have the mental strength to prevail over five tests in Australia?

Bring it on :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
24-11-2010, 03:12 PM

I love the Ashes, especially when it's Down Under. There are so many questions, so many variables in the run-up to that first ball at the Gabba. And then England collapse :greengrin

Or maybe not - the last Ashes in Australia saw the home side take revenge for England's 2005 triumph in a manner that couldn't have been more emphatic - a 5-0 whitewash. But that was with a team featuring Langer, Hayden, Gilchrist, McGrath and Warne

Can they repeat the feat this time? They've not got the players mentioned above - some of the greatest players of all time.

They still have Ricky Ponting though - another of the all-time greats and likely captaining his last Ashes, certainly on home soil.

England look the strongest they've been in a while. Do their Ashes debutants have the mental strength to prevail over five tests in Australia?

:thumbsup: 2-1 or 3-1 Aussies!

hibee62
24-11-2010, 10:44 PM

Really hope England win but Australia just strike me as one of these teams that will just click when it really matters. Ponting certainly sounded gritty at the toss there!

derekHFC
24-11-2010, 11:04 PM
:thumbsup: good start

Mibbes Aye
24-11-2010, 11:06 PM
:thumbsup: good start

Strauss out, third ball. Drama indeed :greengrin

LancashireHibby
24-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Might as well hand it on a plate to the convicts :grr:

Removed
24-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Don't like cricket but anything where England get beat is worth a watch.

Mon the Aussies :thumbsup:

Mibbes Aye
24-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Might as well hand it on a plate to the convicts :grr:

Might be hope for the tourists, although there's been a couple of close calls since the wicket. If England can hold themselves steady over the next half-hour or so it sounds like there's potential batting there. Trott doesn't strike me as the type who is intimidated by the occasion and they've strength further down the order.

Mibbes Aye
25-11-2010, 12:10 AM
And Watson bowls Trott, in his first over :thumbsup:

That might be significant..........

And here comes Kevin Pietersen :greengrin

Removed
25-11-2010, 12:12 AM
And Watson bowls Trott, in his first over :thumbsup:

That might be significant..........

And here comes Kevin Pietersen :greengrin

Is that another English batter out?

:faf: :thumbsup:

Mibbes Aye
25-11-2010, 12:52 AM

:greengrin

And nearly another too. Doherty drops Cook. That would have been a big wicket, three in the first session :agree:

Toaods
25-11-2010, 01:11 AM
I have three different sets of Aussie friends at the Gabba today, looking forward to Facebooking them when I get up...already told them KP will spank them this series. Pity about his chronic Mowvember effort (still better than anything I'd manage).

One of my daft Aussie mates... "keep an eye out for me I'm in the 1st tier, three rows back, wearing my yellow and green top".......

Mibbes Aye
25-11-2010, 01:18 AM
I have three different sets of Aussie friends at the Gabba today, looking forward to Facebooking them when I get up...already told them KP will spank them this series. Pity about his chronic Mowvember effort (still better than anything I'd manage).

One of my daft Aussie mates... "keep an eye out for me I'm in the 1st tier, three rows back, wearing my yellow and green top".......

Hibbie_Cameron
25-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Felt sorry for Xavier Doherty when he dropped that catch. Fairly happy with the first session, could easily have seen another couple out though

Mibbes Aye
25-11-2010, 02:33 AM

:agree:

Pietersen c Ponting b Siddle 43

KP was looking like he might be set. Big wicket for Australia. Having said that, it brings in Collingwood who is as sticky as sticky comes.

Mibbes Aye
25-11-2010, 02:43 AM

Pietersen c Ponting b Siddle 43

KP was looking like he might be set. Big wicket for Australia. Having said that, it brings in Collingwood who is as sticky as sticky comes.

And Siddle takes Collingwood! Maybe not that sticky after all :greengrin

England do have batting strength down the order, but that's two big losses fairly rapidly.

Mid-afternoon on the first day and the momentum has shifted back to Australia, after England had taken a rightful claim to it, and that off the back of an early Australian breakthrough in the first over. Great stuff :thumbsup:

GhostofBolivar
25-11-2010, 04:56 AM
Siddle gets Cook, Prior and Broad in successive balls to put Australia firmly on top. He's the first player in test history to take a hat-trick on his birthday.

England 200-7 and need Bell to play a big innings here.

DaveF
25-11-2010, 06:45 AM
All out for 260 and Australia close on 25-0

Day 1 over with the Aussies firmly in control.

HH81
25-11-2010, 07:19 AM
I got up at 4am to watch a bit of it, not the best of starts.

Aus well in control now and will need a good bit of bowling tomorrow from England. Will most on here be supporting Aus?

marinello59
25-11-2010, 07:25 AM

Aus well in control now and will need a good bit of bowling tomorrow from England. Will most on here be supporting Aus?

Probably.:greengrin
England for me at Cricket though. I would love to see them beat Australia down there.

hibee62
25-11-2010, 10:18 AM

Given that as far as test cricket goes, England is essentially Britain, I'll be supporting England. If any Scotsman was good enough they'd be in that England team, as with any Irish or Welsh!

Mibbes Aye
25-11-2010, 10:32 AM

I think that's likely but one of the good things about the game is that it doesn't provoke 'Anyone But England' in quite the way you see in football.

I have an affinity for the Aussies because watching the game over there was what got me into it, but I can readily appreciate and enjoy good England performances.

Well done to Siddle, and also Doherty snagging a wicket. Solid start by Australia in response and all set for a battle when play resumes. Can't wait for the morning session tonight!!!

Pretty Boy
25-11-2010, 10:47 AM

I'll be supporting England. Always do with cricket except on the rare occasion they play Scotland in a one day game or when they are playing New Zealand who are my cricket team of choice.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Will most on here be supporting Aus?

I must admit its about the only sport i don't mind seeing England winning at!

Hibbie_Cameron
25-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Anyone sitting up tonight?

IWasThere2016
25-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm still up Cam - will crash about 1am and back up at 6am :thumbsup:

Aussies doing ok but Katich nearly RO

Hibbie_Cameron
25-11-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm still up Cam - will crash about 1am and back up at 6am :thumbsup:

Aussies doing ok but Katich nearly RO

Im off work this week no getting up at 5am for me:thumbsup:

Few early scares but all going well so far:agree:

IWasThere2016
25-11-2010, 11:45 PM
50 (51 really) up :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
25-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Shot of the innings there - text book drive through long on for 4 - superb! :agree:

IWasThere2016
25-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Bedtime - eyes shutting and heid bobbing! :bye:

Mibbes Aye
25-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Anyone sitting up tonight?

Will go to lunch at least :greengrin

There's been a couple of chances so far but they've not happened for England. It's the kind of thing that can wear a team down mentally.

As I type, Katich and Watson have just reached the 50-partnership but from what they seemed to be saying on TMS, Australia have struggled to make 100-opening partnerships in the Ashes here despite their dominance at the Gabba. Will be curious to see how it pans out.

I've got a lot of time for Shane Watson. He's had a hellish time with injury and while he broke into the national side as a prospective all-rounder, it seems fair to say no one really envisaged him as a Test opener in those days.

His bowling average is in the twenties though and a half-decent Ashes will see his batting average move into the forties, which in crude terms at least makes him a genuine all-rounder - good enough in either discipline to justify his place in the side. Hope he does well today.

Mibbes Aye
26-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Katich 'out', asks for a review of his dismissal and is found 'not out'.

Hits the next ball for four.

Momentum-building?

Hibbie_Cameron
26-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Watson gone before lunch. Had to happen really, they had been chancing there luck for a while

Hibbie_Cameron
26-11-2010, 01:43 AM
Straight after lunch and Ponting is gone. 96-2

lyonhibs
26-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Hussey is a lucky, LUCKY laddie. The Ashes is the one time that cricket - a game I understand and respect - elevates itself into a internationally significant game. I must admit, apart from The Ashes and India vs Pakistan, it's mostly a lot of posh boys in jumpers taking "lunch" breaks for me.

I'll be up for hours tonight tho, thanks to my mate Justin :greengrin

IWasThere2016
26-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Hussey is a lucky, LUCKY laddie. The Ashes is the one time that cricket - a game I understand and respect - elevates itself into a internationally significant game. I must admit, apart from The Ashes and India vs Pakistan, it's mostly a lot of posh boys in jumpers taking "lunch" breaks for me.

Aussies are getting the breaks as Anderson has tormented them and deserved a wicket or two .. or more :greengrin

Hibbie_Cameron
27-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Aussies are getting the breaks as Anderson has tormented them and deserved a wicket or two .. or more :greengrin

Looked like the wickets were going to tumble but how things change and Hadden and Hussey are still in there and looking pretty comfortable

IWasThere2016
27-11-2010, 01:11 AM
Looked like the wickets were going to tumble but how things change and Hadden and Hussey are still in there and looking pretty comfortable

Morning Cam .. Aussie's in control :greengrin

Hibbie_Cameron
27-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Morning Cam .. Aussie's in control :greengrin

Morning G

The way its looking right now England will have to break through and quickly, if these two settle back in England will be in trouble imo

IWasThere2016
27-11-2010, 01:15 AM
Morning G

The way its looking right now England will have to break through and quickly, if these two settle back in England will be in trouble imo

You almost sound concerned for them :greengrin

Hibbie_Cameron
27-11-2010, 01:17 AM
You almost sound concerned for them :greengrin

I must admit they bowled excellently in the first hour of the morning and probably did deserve something.

Long may H+H continue though:thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
27-11-2010, 01:18 AM
I must admit they bowled excellently in the first hour of the morning and probably did deserve something.

Long may H+H continue though:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Hibbie_Cameron
27-11-2010, 01:44 AM
As talented as he is i cant stand Greame Swann. Love it when they hit a boundary just to see the disbelief on his coupon

Mibbes Aye
27-11-2010, 02:14 AM
100 with style from Haddin with a six :thumbsup:

This looks to be the partnership that's going to inform the match. Whether it's an Aussie victory or just a draw remains to be seen.

IWasThere2016
27-11-2010, 02:40 AM
100 with style from Haddin with a six :thumbsup:

This looks to be the partnership that's going to inform the match. Whether it's an Aussie victory or just a draw remains to be seen.

What the bookies saying?

IWasThere2016
27-11-2010, 02:46 AM
What the bookies saying?

Aussies 2/9

Draw 4/1

Eng 25/1

IWasThere2016
27-11-2010, 02:51 AM
Anderson drops a dolly :faf:

Didnae get near it :faf:

Calvin
27-11-2010, 02:56 AM
Anderson drops a dolly :faf:

Didnae get near it :faf:

No his day is it, bowled really well in the morning session without taking a wicket and now is missing, let alone dropping catches!

IWasThere2016
27-11-2010, 02:56 AM
No his day is it, bowled really well in the morning session without taking a wicket and now is missing, let alone dropping catches!

Hussey 150 n.o. :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
27-11-2010, 03:19 AM
H+H have put on 278 .. eg more than the entire Engerland team :thumbsup:

Calvin
27-11-2010, 03:24 AM
H+H have put on 278 .. eg more than the entire Engerland team :thumbsup:

I still can't decide whether I'm pleased about this or not!

You can tell things are bad for England when the commentators would rather talk about weather and drinks than the cricket.

IWasThere2016
27-11-2010, 03:29 AM
I still can't decide whether I'm pleased about this or not!

You can tell things are bad for England when the commentators would rather talk about weather and drinks than the cricket.

Beefy's spewin' :greengrin

IWasThere2016
27-11-2010, 03:42 AM
Tea 436-5 :top marks

Calvin
27-11-2010, 03:46 AM
I said I'd go to bed when England took a wicket. That was at 11:45 :greengrin

IWasThere2016
27-11-2010, 03:51 AM
night night :bye:

Part/Time Supporter
27-11-2010, 04:25 AM
England take a wicket. No, really, they did!

Calvin
27-11-2010, 04:25 AM
England take a wicket. No, really, they did!

Haddin out for 136 which signals a quick nap before the football for me.

Calvin
27-11-2010, 04:42 AM
Decided to wait for Hussey's century, but it looked like he'd got bored with that shot and decided to go for some big runs. Easy catch to get him out for 195.

GhostofBolivar
27-11-2010, 05:24 AM
Beefy's spewin' :greengrin

You should have been listening to Test Match Special. Geoffrey Boycott's been ripping them from start to finish.

If I was chairman of selectors and someone said to me 'I want to play the way I want to play', then I'd tell them to go and play somewhere else. England's batsmen have to be able to play different ways.

Although, however right he might be, there's a delicious irony in Geoffrey of all people saying that.

Michael Vaughan isn't a fan of only having four bowlers and has spent a considerable amount of time pointing out how many overs the English bowlers have bowled.

Part/Time Supporter
27-11-2010, 06:59 AM
You should have been listening to Test Match Special. Geoffrey Boycott's been ripping them from start to finish.

Although, however right he might be, there's a delicious irony in Geoffrey of all people saying that.

Michael Vaughan isn't a fan of only having four bowlers and has spent a considerable amount of time pointing out how many overs the English bowlers have bowled.

England have four bowlers because their batsmen aren't disciplined enough to only go with five batters + a struggling Prior at six. The last time they used five bowlers they were murdered by the Aussies at Headingley (http://www.espncricinfo.com/engvaus2009/engine/match/345973.html).

Their four bowlers strategy works okay as long as Swann bowls well, but he was all over the place. Its questionable whether he will be effective in Australia. TMS has been talking about a comment by Mickey Arthur (former coach of South Africa) that Panesar would be more effective.

lyonhibs
27-11-2010, 09:28 AM

And didn't he take advantage of that stroke of good fortune - H+H is now the record stand for test matches at The Gabba - quite an accolade!!!

Hibbie_Cameron
27-11-2010, 09:29 AM
I headed off to bed after Haddin skelped that 6 to bing in his 100.

Draw at best now for England

DaveF
27-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Great day for Australia. It was a very tough opening hour and they rode their luck and then cashed in afterwards.

If the Aussies bowl well tonight and take advantage of a crumbling pitch then they will win. That said, if England get a lead of 150 I think (time permitting) they will fancy their chances of a win.

--------
27-11-2010, 02:08 PM

That's the same Geoffrey who frequently ignored all his captain's instructions to amass large scores regardless of the state of the match or his team's best interests...

Agnew's right - England have to go 4 sessions at least to have a chance.

GhostofBolivar
27-11-2010, 03:30 PM

That's the same Geoffrey who frequently ignored all his captain's instructions to amass large scores regardless of the state of the match or his team's best interests...

Agnew's right - England have to go 4 sessions at least to have a chance.

The same Geoffrey who was so uninterested in playing in anything other than the most ponderous fashion imaginable that - IIRC - Botham deliberately got him run out during a test in New Zealand when England needed fast runs to have a chance of winning.

--------
27-11-2010, 10:10 PM
The same Geoffrey who was so uninterested in playing in anything other than the most ponderous fashion imaginable that - IIRC - Botham deliberately got him run out during a test in New Zealand when England needed fast runs to have a chance of winning.

The same Geoffrey who was dropped after an unbeaten 246 in just under 10 hours against the Indians at Headingley ...

I watched most of that innings - it was the perfect cure for insomnia. England won the match, but oh dear ...

Geoffrey's become quite a master of unconscious irony since he took up commentating.

He once observed that as the cricket ball gets softer it loses its hardness, and that the secret of staying at the wicket was not to get out.

Mibbes Aye
27-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Boycott seems to inhabit this strange middle ground between having insight and talking mince. He undoubtedly has a wealth of experience at Test level and in the Ashes but he always seems a bit more Talksport than TMS, and sometimes just seems to be being indulged in some inane ramblings.

Would be curious about others' opinions on Simon Hughes. I've heard positives about his writing but he's annoying the **** out of me as a commentator :greengrin. Not sure why, he just does. Is it because he seems to be trying too hard, or is it because he's a bit nippy (arrogant, even) with his colleagues??? Is he the same guy who used to sit in the van when Channel 4 covered it, because I quite liked him then?

Anyways, another aspect of cricket that's beautiful. In football we often talk about 'must-win' games etc etc and often they're no such thing.

This morning is a big, big session for England - whether they do well, badly or indifferently, it will genuinely shape the outcome of this match.

Can't wait. This is what Christmas felt like when I was a child :thumbsup:

Mibbes Aye
28-11-2010, 12:19 AM
England openers closing in on a hundred partnership. Solid start. Good point by Slater on the commentary that Johnson's place may be at risk to Bollinger. It's all a far cry from when the Aussies could call on McGrath, Gillespie, Warne and Lee. Or the older days when they had McDermott and Hughes but could also call on the Waughs.

Mibbes Aye
28-11-2010, 02:19 AM
Well done Strauss :agree:. The Australians haven't really threatened Strauss and Cook and they've prospered.

TQM, have those odds shifted?

Calvin
28-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Well done Strauss :agree:. The Australians haven't really threatened Strauss and Cook and they've prospered.

TQM, have those odds shifted?

Bet 365 have it as Aussies - 11/2, England 18/1 but the draw by far the favourite at 1/6.

I have a tenner on it at 9/2, so get your money on Australia :greengrin

BigKev
28-11-2010, 06:50 PM
England were outstanding yesterday. In days gone by they'd have folded like a pack of cards when so far behind so credit where it's due to the leadership of Strauss and Flower - they look to have provided the players with strong mental belief.

Strauss, Cook and Trott batted superbly but it has to be said, the Aussie attack is pretty powderpuff and where Anderson, Broad and Finn got movement the Aussies have done very little apart from the first day when the pitch was green.

Hibbie_Cameron
28-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Morning all

There seems to be more people on this thread than at the Gabba this morning

Billy
29-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Cook gets his 200 up - outstanding. Trott currently on 94 and if he gets 100, that will be the first time since 1924 (South Africa - Love the Sky stats) that the first 3 batsmen have all hit over 100.

Trott gets his 100.

Toaods
29-11-2010, 01:36 AM
Ha ha.....Loving Botham taking the piss out of the non-appearing Aussie diehards.

And to think we have fans who get peed off when someone leaves 5 mins early...:bye:

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Aussies have lost 2 wickets in the 1st over! 3 down for 2 runs now, some start!

sambajustice
02-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Aussies have lost 2 wickets in the 1st over! 3 down for 2 runs now, some start!

For some reason i'm watching this and pretty amazed. Not into cricket at all, complete Toffs sport in this country along with rugby and tennis. However I know the basic rules and astounded by whats going on! At least the Aussie's now have more runs than lost wickets, only just though...

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Aussies 245 All Out before the end of day 1 after winning the toss, good effort from England.

Toaods
03-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Anderson is in peak form so far in the series. So good he's relieved the pressure on the other bowlers.

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2010, 07:23 AM
For some reason i'm watching this and pretty amazed. Not into cricket at all, complete Toffs sport in this country along with rugby and tennis. However I know the basic rules and astounded by whats going on! At least the Aussie's now have more runs than lost wickets, only just though...

Absolute drivel!

sambajustice
03-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Absolute drivel!

How is that like?

You dont see many cricket piches at most of the schools in scotland nor do you see them up at the Jack kane centre or the gyle!

The only place you find them is at private schools!

Danderhall Hibs
03-12-2010, 04:49 PM
How is that like?

You dont see many cricket piches at most of the schools in scotland nor do you see them up at the Jack kane centre or the gyle!

Ther's cricket pitches at Cavalry Park. The point is though that it's not only posh boys that enjoy the 3 sports you mention - that's a myth.

Hank Schrader
03-12-2010, 06:00 PM
How is that like?

Try telling anyone from Yorkshire or Lancashire that Cricket is a toffs sport and I don't think you'll get a kind reaction!! Flintoff, Anderson, Hoggard, Bresnan, Vaughan etc hardly come across as being toffs. :greengrin

Definitely not a "toffs" sport, UK wide I may add.

lyonhibs
04-12-2010, 12:42 AM
What the hell is Trott on here?? Fair enough, he doesn't want to get out to a lazy swipe, but my deid Granny could have battered some of those balls from Mitchell Johnson away down the leg side.

A tad different now that Siddle is back in mind.

Toaods
04-12-2010, 02:00 AM
What the hell is Trott on here?? Fair enough, he doesn't want to get out to a lazy swipe, but my deid Granny could have battered some of those balls from Mitchell Johnson away down the leg side.

A tad different now that Siddle is back in mind.

Johnson hasn't bowled in this test...:wink:

lyonhibs
04-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Johnson hasn't bowled in this test...:wink:

Ach pish - it was closing on 2 am when I posted - I meant that "medium pace" bowler who looks like an Aussie Matthew Hoggard!!!

hibee62
04-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Ach pish - it was closing on 2 am when I posted - I meant that "medium pace" bowler who looks like an Aussie Matthew Hoggard!!!

Shane Watson...

jodjam
04-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Stuck a wager now on England for the series at evens. They are batting and bowling better and Oz have too many guys out of sorts. Must be so hard to take after the McGrath/Warne years as they struggle for wickets.

Mibbes Aye
04-12-2010, 09:56 PM
I've missed the action from Adelaide so far, been reliant on the press reports. Seems like a great start for England, and Cook's confidence must be sky-high - he looked outstanding when he first broke through but it's easy to see how his place (in the order, at least) may have been questioned had he failed on tour. As it stands he's looking likely to outdo Vaughan as the best batter on tour in recent times.

England are showing strong so far. Can they go on and win? The way it's shaping up, with the venues left, a 1-0 series win could fall for either side at the moment. The tourists have to have the upper hand at the moment - the home side have the batting strength to make the draws, can they find the inspiration in the bowling to actually win a match?

derekHFC
04-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Stuck a wager now on England for the series at evens. They are batting and bowling better and Oz have too many guys out of sorts. Must be so hard to take after the McGrath/Warne years as they struggle for wickets.

You forgot Brett Lee for bowling and batsmen like Gilchrist and Hayden. Even Dizzy Gillespie could bowl and bat a bit (towards the end), but their tail is so poor just now!!

The Aussies are really struggling and without Hussey and Haddin, they'd be looking at being 2-0 down in the series come Tuesday morning! Ponting and Clarke look lost out there.

HH81
05-12-2010, 07:32 AM
I think the rain could stop England winning the 2nd test or a least having a go at winning it. :grr:

England have done well so far but watch live play is catching up with me!

jodjam
05-12-2010, 12:49 PM
You forgot Brett Lee for bowling and batsmen like Gilchrist and Hayden. Even Dizzy Gillespie could bowl and bat a bit (towards the end), but their tail is so poor just now!!

The Aussies are really struggling and without Hussey and Haddin, they'd be looking at being 2-0 down in the series come Tuesday morning! Ponting and Clarke look lost out there.

Aye it's a fair point. Hadn't forgotten about these players but I still feel Oz could be a force with the bat as there is still some class there. I just feel for Ponting when he looks around for who is gonna tie down an end, far less take some wickets, and he has no-one.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-12-2010, 05:27 PM
How good is KP when he is on form? Great to see him getting back in the groove.

Stonewall
06-12-2010, 07:04 PM
If England win tomorrow I think the series is pretty much over. The Aussies are starting to look a bit rattled and if they lose the Adelaide Test they will have to produce results pitches, so Sydney will turn square and Perth will be quick and bouncy. I think this will play into England's hands.

Really want England to win this. I've played against too many loud mouthed, arrogant Aussies to have any sympathy.

IWasThere2016
06-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Ain't looking good - Aussies have the look of a spent force ..

BigKev
06-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Talk there of Broad being ruled out the series which will hurt the English attack but still fancy them to wrap up the Aussies relatively quickly.

Hussey will be the key for the Australians.

Edit : Broad confirmed as out the series.

Zazu62
06-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Broad out for 6 weeks with torn stomach muscle. Bad news imo, shahzad would be the likely replacement for the 3rd test.

I

Mibbes Aye
07-12-2010, 11:24 AM
If England win tomorrow I think the series is pretty much over. The Aussies are starting to look a bit rattled and if they lose the Adelaide Test they will have to produce results pitches, so Sydney will turn square and Perth will be quick and bouncy. I think this will play into England's hands.

Really want England to win this. I've played against too many loud mouthed, arrogant Aussies to have any sympathy.

Very strong performance by England and one that will have confidence sky-high, which should help them deal better with losing Broad. The WACA being the next venue just adds to the mix.

Hopeful that Katich's absence will lead to Phil Hughes getting another chance - England were able to exploit his selection last time round but he'll have learned from that and is capable of fireworks.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Broad injured for rest of the series, Anderson going back to UK for birth of his 2nd kid before going back over for the 3rd test, draw looks a good thing.

derekHFC
15-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Quite an addictive wee cricket (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/skills/6137400.stm) game from the BBC website.

Its a bit out of date as a question or two is wrong, but its decent and gets very frustrating!!

I cant win the 4th test and have been stuck on it for weeks now!

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-12-2010, 03:04 AM
England flying again, Aussies 47-4 25 mins before lunch.

derekHFC
16-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Don't get me wrong, England have been good, but how poor are the Australians?

They have no confidence at all bar one or two, but most look beaten before they take the field!

Calvin
17-12-2010, 03:08 AM
Some turnaround by the Aussie bowlers today!

GhostofBolivar
17-12-2010, 06:27 AM
187 all out. Aussies lead by 81 - Johnson with 6 for.

Classic trueism - you never know how good a wicket is until both teams have batted on it.

Mibbes Aye
17-12-2010, 11:10 AM
187 all out. Aussies lead by 81 - Johnson with 6 for.

Classic trueism - you never know how good a wicket is until both teams have batted on it.

And suddenly it's all back on (perhaps!) :greengrin

Good response from Johnson on his recall. He's the sort of player the Aussies need to succeed in order to get back in this series and overall.

--------
18-12-2010, 02:30 PM
England now need 310 to win - the draw's off as they'd never bat through 2 whole days. Rain, anyone? Thought not.

5 wickets standing - they have a slim chance, but it ALL rests on Bell. If the wickets fall cheaply, it will have been a real tanking.

I would NOT be surprised to see Ponting replaced for the next Test. Can England come back the way the Aussies have done? How good is Strauss as captain, and will Pietersen respond in a mature manner, or throw a hissy fit? Is the Aussie revival a flash in the pan?

To be continued.... :devil:

GhostofBolivar
19-12-2010, 07:22 AM
England now need 310 to win - the draw's off as they'd never bat through 2 whole days. Rain, anyone? Thought not.

5 wickets standing - they have a slim chance, but it ALL rests on Bell. If the wickets fall cheaply, it will have been a real tanking.

I would NOT be surprised to see Ponting replaced for the next Test. Can England come back the way the Aussies have done? How good is Strauss as captain, and will Pietersen respond in a mature manner, or throw a hissy fit? Is the Aussie revival a flash in the pan?

To be continued.... :devil:

In the event, the Aussies needed a mere 50 minutes to wrap it up. England batted for fewer than 100 overs in the whole match.

That's the same sort of tanking that Australia took in the second test.

Hank Schrader
19-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Englands weakness against an all seam attack on a bouncy, fast green wicket exposed.

The Melbourne track won't be anything like that due to Victorian weather conditions this summer so Australia may have to rethink their tactics and possbily drop a seamer for a spinner.

Regardless of how badly England lost in Perth I can see them bouncing back in Melbourne on a wicket that will suit their batsmens a bit more.

Toaods
19-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I would NOT be surprised to see Ponting replaced for the next Test.

no chance, he's a test win away from being a hero.

How good is Strauss as captain, and will Pietersen respond in a mature manner, or throw a hissy fit?

I'm not a fielding specialist but those that are seem to conclude that he's negative in his placements, which alludes to fear, therefore not that great..!!

Pietersen has already thrown his hissyfit did you see him sitting on his own in the stand after getting out so stupidly. That aside, he could run riot at the MCG.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Ian Botham and the rest of his cronies, are having to eat a huge slice of humble pie today. They have been slaughtering the aussies, telling us just how good they are, and how the tables have turned.:blah: Even suggesting its not been that good beating such a poor Australian team. :tee hee:

--------
20-12-2010, 02:27 PM
no chance, he's a test win away from being a hero.

Of course, he MIGHT also be just one test away from turning his batting around too...

I'm not a fielding specialist but those that are seem to conclude that he's negative in his placements, which alludes to fear, therefore not that great..!!

Pietersen has already thrown his hissyfit did you see him sitting on his own in the stand after getting out so stupidly. That aside, he could run riot at the MCG.

Maybe. He's not an individual I much like, tbh.

A lot will depend on what sort of wicket the Aussies have prepared at the MCG.

Oh, well..........

derekHFC
23-12-2010, 07:56 AM
The 4th test starts on Boxing Day (well midnight Christmas day for us) and its set up to be a cracker.

Michael Vaughan has ripped into the Aussie's today, totally slating their top order batsmen (here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/9313858.stm)) so the fall out from that should be interesting. I never really liked Vaughan as a player to be honest.

There is also the Oz angle from Justin Langer (here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/9311473.stm)) who is pretty unhappy that a former England Captain slated the green, baggy bunnet that the Australians were. Who was it that slated them as i must've missed that one.

I for one, cannot wait for this one and after Christmas dinner and a few glasses of champers, i'll have a wee snooze before setting the alarm clock for 11:30pm to watch most of the first days play :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-12-2010, 11:42 PM
England won the toss and decided to bowl - Good first hour in the field once again for England - Aus 37-3.

hibee62
26-12-2010, 12:34 AM
England won the toss and decided to bowl - Good first hour in the field once again for England - Aus 37-3.

And now with Hussey gone I could see Australia being all out for 150-200, with Hussey I'd have said 250. If England's batting can hold up this time, like it should, then this series could be wrapped up rather soon!

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-12-2010, 06:19 AM
this series could be wrapped up rather soon!

How right you were! Aussies 98 All Out, England 135-0 so far!

IWasThere2016
26-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Aussies were woeful - useless cants! :agree:

hibee62
27-12-2010, 12:29 AM
How right you were! Aussies 98 All Out, England 135-0 so far!

Yep, its hard to see how Australia can recover from this. I would never count them out but even at this stage I can't see how they could get enough second innings runs to make up for the first innings, even Hussey can't save them now I think...

HH81
27-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Yep, its hard to see how Australia can recover from this. I would never count them out but even at this stage I can't see how they could get enough second innings runs to make up for the first innings, even Hussey can't save them now I think...

I think we can now count them out. :thumbsup:

PC Stamp
27-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Barring 3 days torrential rain in Melbourne that's the Ashes over before 2011.

Wee ned Ponting deserves everything he gets. :agree:

Toaods
27-12-2010, 10:55 PM
went to bed yesterdy around 10PM and got up at 3AM to watch the remainder of the day's play. Missed the joke when cracked so who is it Both and co are slating as Mr Cricket??? Is it Hussey as they seemed to make reference ot it a few times just before showing hs brilliant catch.

Looking forward to Trott and Prior racking up another solid 50 -75 then letting rip with everything they've got to rack up a great lead. My Aussie mates have gone all quiet on Facebook...:na na:

hibee62
30-12-2010, 09:08 PM
went to bed yesterdy around 10PM and got up at 3AM to watch the remainder of the day's play. Missed the joke when cracked so who is it Both and co are slating as Mr Cricket??? Is it Hussey as they seemed to make reference ot it a few times just before showing hs brilliant catch.

Looking forward to Trott and Prior racking up another solid 50 -75 then letting rip with everything they've got to rack up a great lead. My Aussie mates have gone all quiet on Facebook...:na na:

It is Hussey, apparently he knows everything there is to know about cricket and so all the players call him Mr Cricket.

Toaods
05-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Interesting comments from Glenn McGrath last night. He thinks that as the technology can provide conclusive proof as in the recent foot no-balls that have saved wickets it should be used for every delivery. Not necessarily stopping them game to review every ball but just automatically checked by the 3rd umpire.