PDA

View Full Version : NHC Alonzo and Ramos

H18sry
23-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Both sent off in the closing minutes of Real's 4-0 win over Ajax for staged [both for time wasting] 2nd yellow cards, by Craig Thomson so they can serve a 1 game ban in the last group stage and be free for the knockout stages. :wink:

matty_f
23-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Both sent off in the closing minutes of Real's 4-0 win over Ajax for staged [both for time wasting] 2nd yellow cards, by Craig Thomson so they can serve a 1 game ban in the last group stage and be free for the knockout stages. :wink:

Dunno what to make of that, tbh. It was clear they were both trying to get another booking to get sent off and while I can see why they were doing it, it kind of goes against the spirit of the game.

hibeeleicester
23-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Dunno what to make of that, tbh. It was clear they were both trying to get another booking to get sent off and while I can see why they were doing it, it kind of goes against the spirit of the game.

Yep it is, and the ref has done nothing wrong here.

He can't not book them, they have went against the rules, they get booked regardless of the circumstances.

Skanko79
24-11-2010, 08:12 AM
It's cheating. they will be hit with either a fine or longer suspensions.

CropleyWasGod
24-11-2010, 08:19 AM

The problem is proving it.

Cabbage East
24-11-2010, 08:20 AM
No its not and no they won't.

Skanko79
24-11-2010, 08:49 AM
The problem is proving it.

Ramos decided to shake the refs hand after his red card then casually stroll off the pitch so thats him taken care of. Alonso, fair enough he didnt shake the refs hand but his sending off was for something he knew he had to be booked for thus giving him a red card. 4-0 up there really is no need for him to be rolling the ball away like that so i reckon they have enough to prove it and rightly so. they should both be banned for the first 2 legs of the last 16. they cheated. end off.

Pretty Boy
24-11-2010, 09:25 AM
I don't get the big problem here TBH.

Yes, it goes against the spirit of the game but if you can twist the rules to your advantage without actually resorting to downright cheating then why not? I remember David beckham doing something similar when playing for England a few years back, he was stupid enough to admit it in a TV interview straight after the game though.

I'm no lover of Real Madrid, far from it, but talk of extended bans and fines etc is just silly.

Kaiser1962
24-11-2010, 09:33 AM
It goes against not only the spirit of the game but the whole integrity of the punishment system by undermining it. The system is being managed, very cleverly, for their benefit. Its either ingenious or downright scandalous but, depending on the viewpoint, I think it says more about their values, and that of their club, than the system itself.

I don't get the big problem here TBH.

Yes, it goes against the spirit of the game but if you can twist the rules to your advantage without actually resorting to downright cheating then why not? I remember David beckham doing something similar when playing for England a few years back, he was stupid enough to admit it in a TV interview straight after the game though.

I'm no lover of Real Madrid, far from it, but talk of extended bans and fines etc is just silly.

JimBHibees
24-11-2010, 09:54 AM
It goes against not only the spirit of the game but the whole integrity of the punishment system by undermining it. The system is being managed, very cleverly, for their benefit. Its either ingenious or downright scandalous but, depending on the viewpoint, I think it says more about their values, and that of their club, than the system itself.

Bringing the game into disrepute I think. IMO should be given a 1 match ban which coincides with the knockout stage however UEFA wont have the bottle to take on the mighty Madreeed.

Jack
24-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Real Madrid have previous for this, but so does just about every other club when they are in this position.

And not only does it happen in the CL but its been seen at national level in all competitions.

There were even some on here urging Sol to get himself over the points threshold last Christmas before the Africa Nations so that he would serve his ban while he would have been away.

I personally don’t think its cheating but I think there is a better way penalty points from bookings and sending offs, in all tournaments, could be dealt with. Putting the emphasis on rewarding good behaviour rather than punishing bad.

Briefly, players get points for cards as they do now, but they also build up ‘good’ points for not picking up cards.

The actual points system would have to be worked out but say you get half a point for each game played with no card and say 3 points for a yellow; i.e. player plays the first 12 games of the season with no cards so is 6 points in credit. He’s now build up enough good points for a booking not to be of much concern and even if he gets booked the following week his 12 game good behaviour is rewarded as he avoids a suspension.

The points system could be adapted for each competition i.e. the long haul league would be different from cup competitions and they could be different depending on the type and number of qualifying matches.

The big advantage, I see, is that if a player picks up a booking in the early rounds of the CL and then another in the semi-final he would still be eligible to play in the final. Likewise in leagues players could be more available the more they behave and occasionally booked players wouldn’t have to worry about being suspended after 3 booking picked up over 2 or 3 seasons.

M11BMO
24-11-2010, 09:59 AM
It's happened before and it'll happen again. :yawn: It's part of the game we all love...

dl33
24-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Real Madrid have previous for this, but so does just about every other club when they are in this position.

And not only does it happen in the CL but its been seen at national level in all competitions.

There were even some on here urging Sol to get himself over the points threshold last Christmas before the Africa Nations so that he would serve his ban while he would have been away.

I personally don’t think its cheating but I think there is a better way penalty points from bookings and sending offs, in all tournaments, could be dealt with. Putting the emphasis on rewarding good behaviour rather than punishing bad.

Briefly, players get points for cards as they do now, but they also build up ‘good’ points for not picking up cards.

The actual points system would have to be worked out but say you get half a point for each game played with no card and say 3 points for a yellow; i.e. player plays the first 12 games of the season with no cards so is 6 points in credit. He’s now build up enough good points for a booking not to be of much concern and even if he gets booked the following week his 12 game good behaviour is rewarded as he avoids a suspension.

The points system could be adapted for each competition i.e. the long haul league would be different from cup competitions and they could be different depending on the type and number of qualifying matches.

The big advantage, I see, is that if a player picks up a booking in the early rounds of the CL and then another in the semi-final he would still be eligible to play in the final. Likewise in leagues players could be more available the more they behave and occasionally booked players wouldn’t have to worry about being suspended after 3 booking picked up over 2 or 3 seasons.

:agree:Must admit i think that sounds like a good idea!!

Woody1985
24-11-2010, 11:14 AM

This is a good idea.

It could also help stupid decisions like Keane missing the CL final or Nedved missing the finals of the Euros.

banarc7062
24-11-2010, 11:15 AM
It's happened before and it'll happen again. :yawn: It's part of the game we all love...

Naw, yer kiddin. That will never happen again. Blame the Scottish Ref :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
24-11-2010, 11:29 AM

They won’t be. Beckham and Zidane have done this in the past and got away scot-free.

I’ve no problem with it TBH – they’ll still miss a game, risking losing their place in the team. I’d be delighted (and impressed) if a Hibs player had the intelligence to do this kind of thing.

Sir David Gray
24-11-2010, 11:35 AM
There's something about this that really doesn't sit well with me.

Those two players have deliberately gone out to get themselves a second yellow card so that they would be free from suspension, and can now play in the knockout stages.

It's clear that is what they have done and I believe that UEFA should now ban them for two games, one for being sent off and another for bringing the game into disrepute.

They aren't the only ones to have done it and I'm sure they won't be the last either but it doesn't make it right.

jonny
24-11-2010, 11:40 AM

:top marks

Well thought out post. IMO your idea of at least a version of it would work fantastically well at all levels.

Sir David Gray
24-11-2010, 11:42 AM
They won’t be. Beckham and Zidane have done this in the past and got away scot-free.

I’ve no problem with it TBH – they’ll still miss a game, risking losing their place in the team. I’d be delighted (and impressed) if a Hibs player had the intelligence to do this kind of thing.

Sky Sports News covered the story earlier and then highlighted other instances where players appeared to have picked up deliberate bookings and second yellow cards and two of them (can't remember who they were) were fined retrospectively.

I won't be surprised if UEFA fines Alonso and Ramos for this.

Danderhall Hibs
24-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Sky Sports News covered the story earlier and then highlighted other instances where players appeared to have picked up deliberate bookings and second yellow cards and two of them (can't remember who they were) were fined retrospectively.

If you're a multi-millionaire anyway it's worth it.

H18sry
24-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Now does this look dodgey or what :wink: 6994

Speedy
24-11-2010, 07:48 PM

Cris and Juninho at Lyon. Their bookings were a lot more subtle, Juninho's didn't look deliberate to me.

.Sean.
24-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Can't see the problem with it. If a Hibs player was to do it none of us would be against it.

IIRC Beckham started the 'trend' years ago at an England versus Wals match at the Millenium Stadium.

Peevemor
25-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Or if they changed the system so that a suspension kick in after 2 bookings in consecutive matches played (by the players, not the team)? :dunno: