PDA

View Full Version : Tell All The Yams You Know!!

brog
23-11-2010, 06:20 PM
2 weeks on & I'm still mighty upset over last derby. To cheer myself up I started thinking of occasions over my time watching Hibs when maybe our neighbours, with their 400,00 support demonstrated conclusively they are not really the Big team.
Here's 5, maybe less well known facts to hopefully bring back the smiles & allow you to put down any Yam mates ( is that an oxymoron? ). I'll add 5 more tomorrow.
Enjoy!!

1. At 3pm on 9 September 1967 Pat Quinn had gone 678 days without scoring a league goal for Hibs. 2 hours later he walked off Tynecastle having scored a hat trick in our 4-1 victory. :thumbsup:
2. In season 60/61 we were drawn against Lausanne in the Fairs Cup. Rather than waste money travelling to ER on an exercise in futility, Lausanne withdrew & Hibs got a bye. 3 seasons later Lausanne drew Yams in 1st round of same competition. They fulfilled the fixture & knocked Yams out! :boo hoo:
3. Ally Scott would be a candidate for inclusion in many fans worst ever Hibs team but he played 4 times against Yams (in 76/77 season) & we never lost, W2, D2. Scott scored 1 of his 4 league goals against Yams & our results helped secure their worthy relegation! :greengrin
4. The crowd at PBS on 18 Sept 1965 was nearly 7,000 down on the prior Sept fixture in 1963. Why? Because we scored 4 goals in first 10 minutes & thousands of Yams turned away from the turnstiles as the roars kept going up! :wink:
5. Hearts failed to score a single league goal against Hibs in the 5 year period which ended on 8/9/73. We scored 13!! They did manage a goal in the cup but we won that one 2-1 at PBS. :thumbsup:
More tomorrow hopefully!

jackhfc
23-11-2010, 06:26 PM
As much as I like this and the effort you've put in, Hearts may be able to match these facts sadly :boo hoo:

GGTTH:greengrin

HibbingtonHibs
23-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Something from living memory tomorow please. :boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

Sergey
23-11-2010, 08:11 PM
You preparing a speech, brog.....for the end of January?

Either that, you've now got far too much time on your hands :greengrin

Welcome to the world of doing pheck-all :thumbsup:

Hibee Daz
23-11-2010, 09:32 PM
2 weeks on & I'm still mighty upset over last derby. To cheer myself up I started thinking of occasions over my time watching Hibs when maybe our neighbours, with their 400,00 support demonstrated conclusively they are not really the Big team.
Here's 5, maybe less well known facts to hopefully bring back the smiles & allow you to put down any Yam mates ( is that an oxymoron? ). I'll add 5 more tomorrow.
Enjoy!!

1. At 3pm on 9 September 1967 Pat Quinn had gone 678 days without scoring a league goal for Hibs. 2 hours later he walked off Tynecastle having scored a hat trick in our 4-1 victory. :thumbsup:
2. In season 60/61 we were drawn against Lausanne in the Fairs Cup. Rather than waste money travelling to ER on an exercise in futility, Lausanne withdrew & Hibs got a bye. 3 seasons later Lausanne drew Yams in 1st round of same competition. They fulfilled the fixture & knocked Yams out! :boo hoo:
3. Ally Scott would be a candidate for inclusion in many fans worst ever Hibs team but he played 4 times against Yams (in 76/77 season) & we never lost, W2, D2. Scott scored 1 of his 4 league goals against Yams & our results helped secure their worthy relegation! :greengrin
4. The crowd at PBS on 18 Sept 1965 was nearly 7,000 down on the prior Sept fixture in 1963. Why? Because we scored 4 goals in first 10 minutes & thousands of Yams turned away from the turnstiles as the roars kept going up! :wink:
5. Hearts failed to score a single league goal against Hibs in the 5 year period which ended on 8/9/73. We scored 13!! They did manage a goal in the cup but we won that one 2-1 at PBS. :thumbsup:
More tomorrow hopefully!

:notworthy:

The Harp
23-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Some memorable stats there Brog. :agree: Unfortunately, as jackhfc mentions, the Yams will be able to recall a collection of positives from their perspective. Our record against them over the years, to be honest, is definitely second best.
I'm ploughing my way through The Golden Years (Hibernian in the Days of the Famous Five) by Tom Wright, and although it's a great read, most of the meetings between the clubs, seem to have gone in their favour even then when we were at our peak.
Sad, but true ... of course, I'd never admit that to a Yam!!! :bitchy:

yogishoes
23-11-2010, 10:38 PM
if yams read this they will laugh their **** off

matty_f
23-11-2010, 10:47 PM
if yams read this they will laugh their koks off

Who cares what those tramps think, wouldn't you agree?

Broken Gnome
23-11-2010, 10:50 PM
if yams read this they will laugh their koks off I think we can be safe in the knowledge it isn't designed as an completely serious, all conquering undisputed list of 'Top 5 GIRUY Hearts' moments... :D

KWJ
23-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Greatness! Keep them coming.

I reckon my favourite living memory one would be Franck Sauzee player and manager being undefeated to them.

Or spoiling their millennium party, seeing as another certain scoreline isn't what we're looking for here.

brog
24-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Greatness! Keep them coming.

I reckon my favourite living memory one would be Franck Sauzee player and manager being undefeated to them.

Or spoiling their millennium party, seeing as another certain scoreline isn't what we're looking for here.

Thanks & apologies to younger posters that these are somewhat dated but these are personal recollections. I left Edinburgh 30 years ago & although I get home fairly regularly ( & have a season ticket at ER ) I don't have the same day to day knowledge of the club that I had then. Also, as anyone my age will confirm, I can remember a Hibs game from 1961 more easily than tell you what I had for my tea last night! :greengrin
The point I'm really trying to make is that all things are cyclical. The Yams may have been undefeated for 22 games but they never shut us out for 5 years! The last 2 seasons are perfect examples. 2 seasons ago we won 8 points v Yams but they finished above us, last season was the exact opposite. This season ( so far ) they're on top but there's a long way to go. Keep the faith, support the team & hopefully these little examples may help put things in perspective.

brog
24-11-2010, 12:22 PM
OK, final 5 snippets!
1. We can't quite match the Yams 22 games in a row but Hibs were undefeated ( won 12 ) for 22 out of 23 encounters for over 10 years between Sept 1968 & November 1978. We scored 35 goals to their 13 in that time.
2. Hibs entered Europe in 1955 & reached semi-finals of European Cup & Fairs Cup at our first attempts. In 1973 we reached quarter final of Cup Winners Cup at our first attempt. Yams 1st entered Europe in 1958 & didn't win 2 consecutive games until 30 years later!!
3. Yams much vaunted Terrible Trio earned a total of 6 Scottish caps, the same as Willie Ormond, the least capped member of the Famous 5. The FF won 88 caps in total.
4. In 1957/58 Yams conceded 11 league goals at home all season. In February 1958 the 17 year old Joe Baker scored 4 goals in 90 minutes in the cup at Tynie!!
5. My all time favourite! In the 1973 part of the 72/73 season Hibs scored more goals ( 7!!!!!! ) in the league at Tynecastle than Hearts did ( 4 I think!! ) I honestly doubt if that has ever happened anywhere else between 2 local rivals.

Enjoy!!

Matty_Jack04
24-11-2010, 07:54 PM
i can honestly say i shall never use any of these 10 'snippets' in any attempt to win an arguement with a yam freind, id rather take the beasting :bitchy:

brog
25-11-2010, 11:00 AM
i can honestly say i shall never use any of these 10 'snippets' in any attempt to win an arguement with a yam freind, id rather take the beasting :bitchy:

Good for you! :yawn:

DCI Gene Hunt
25-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Hmm, can't say I'd resort to stats. That sort of pish is what Yams do in feeble attempts to gain some sort of high ground to nurse their "big team" complex. :yawn: :zzzzz!:

Some interesting snippits of info here though for the next discussion down t'pub.

G

Broken Gnome
25-11-2010, 12:12 PM
WHERE IS TODAY'S INSTALLMENT!?!! :grr: