PDA

View Full Version : Goalkeepers

just_joe
22-11-2010, 11:38 PM
I feel we have 2 of the best goalkeepers in scotland in Brown & Stack. Smith is actually a decent goalkeeper too. ive always slated our keepers in the past but these 3 are good goalkeepers . With a decent defence im sure we could give most teams a run for there money.

'Mon the Hibs
23-11-2010, 01:56 AM
:yawn:

:jamboclow

bigstu
23-11-2010, 06:20 AM
has Stack been transformed while out injured? He was pish before!

hibby67
23-11-2010, 06:29 AM
I feel we have 2 of the best goalkeepers in scotland in Brown & Stack. Smith is actually a decent goalkeeper too. ive always slated our keepers in the past but these 3 are good goalkeepers . With a decent defence im sure we could give most teams a run for there money.

:wtf:

Cropley10
23-11-2010, 07:46 AM

:faf:

.Sean.
23-11-2010, 08:05 AM
What's the guy said wrong? Brown and Stack are good goalies and Smith is, contrary to what you read on here, an able SPL keeper. And if the defence gets sort, which I think will as Calderwood will know it's weaknesses, we'll have a good enough side to compete in the SPL.

we are hibs
23-11-2010, 08:46 AM

browns a good goalkeeper but smiths bad and stack is ok

HibeePaj
23-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Yeh i don't see what the guy has said wrong either :confused:

He's right , Brown and Stack are both good keepers, and the fact is our big problem at the minute is the goals we are losing. Saturday for example, we lose 4 goals to INVERNESS CALEY THISTLE, AND mark brown had a good game. the outfeild plaers simply need to be sorted out however im quite sure tht CC is working on it, so wouldn't have too many worries.
ggtth

RickyS
23-11-2010, 09:07 AM
What's the guy said wrong? Brown and Stack are good goalies and Smith is, contrary to what you read on here, an able SPL keeper. And if the defence gets sort, which I think will as Calderwood will know it's weaknesses, we'll have a good enough side to compete in the SPL.
:top marks

Smith was dropped by Yogi after shipping 5 at Saints I think, imagine how times the keepers would have been rotated in the last month!

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2010, 09:17 AM
I favour Stack as our No 1, although he's never fit. I think Smith is just awful, and should never play again for us. Browns reasonable, and hopefully stack and him will fight for the jersey. We dont have a Goram or a Leighton at the club, but there are other more important positions to replace before we start with the keepers imho.

Steve20
23-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Brown is ok. Stack and Smith are not.

RickyS
23-11-2010, 10:09 AM
I favour Stack as our No 1, although he's never fit. I think Smith is just awful, and should never play again for us. Browns reasonable, and hopefully stack and him will fight for the jersey. We dont have a Goram or a Leighton at the club, but there are other more important positions to replace before we start with the keepers imho.

as much as I don't dislike Smith as much as you, to be fair this is the view I get most when speaking to fellow Hibbies.

brog
23-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Name the last keeper we had who truly commanded their penalty area? This is a genuine question. Zibi, Simon B & Maka tried but failed. Lofty couldn't. Certainly none of the present 3 fit the bill. Stack has most vocal & organisational presence but doesn't venture outside 6 yard box too often. Neither Brown nor Smith are comfortable under high balls, as demonstrated by 6-6 game & Brown for 2nd goal on Saturday.
Think back over the last 5-10 years & for one team only, Yams, consider how many points we've dropped due to goalkeeping errors. Too many to count. Now think of how many points we've won from Yams due to goalkeeping errors on their part. Are there any?
IMO a strong, reliable goalkeeper is & has been a priority for Hibs for the last 10 years.
Last question, does anyone think any other team in SPL would be improved by having any of our keepers in goal for them?

essexhibee
23-11-2010, 10:27 AM

I agree Brown is good not so sure on Stack. Smith should be nowhere near the club, will NEVER forgive him for that night in Lanarkshire. That night he blew us the game and i have never been so infuriated by a keeper like i was that night.

Brown should be our defo number one, been impressed when i have seen him. Best goalkeeper in Scotland? Allan McGregor. Shame he is an arse of the highest order and IIRC a jambo as well. Needs to get out of Glasgae ASAP and to the premiership before he rots away ( see Scott Brown) .

Chuck Rhoades
23-11-2010, 12:45 PM

I would have McGregor, Alexander, Bell, Kello, Forster, Zaluskis, Pernis all before Brown/Stack.

Ritchie
23-11-2010, 12:52 PM

Crack addiction should be treated swiftly. :agree:

Hibee Daz
23-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Brown is reliable/solid enough and Smith is a decent second choice IMO.
However I just don't get why people think Stack is any good, he bottles it too come for crosses and when does muster up the courage to come for one his judgement is usually way off!

Archie70
23-11-2010, 01:53 PM
In my opinion Brown is at best mediocre though porbably the best of a very bad bunch.

I can't remember the last time I came away form a game thining we stole it as our keeper played a blinder. (played well enough at Ibrox but still took 2 goal line clearances for the clean sheet).

We've had about 2 shut outs in 40 odd games and the if there is a stat for shots on target to goals/saves we must be bottom. If it's on target it's in. Aberdeen 4 shots on target, 4 goals, Dundee Utd not asked to make a save in the whole game but we lose 1 - 0, even Hearts 2 shots = 2 goals. The list goes on. Yes the defence isn't good enough but I think the keepers have a big part to answer to and I wouldn't lose sleep if they all went in January.

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2010, 02:00 PM
In my opinion Brown is at best mediocre though porbably the best of a very bad bunch.

I can't remember the last time I came away form a game thining we stole it as our keeper played a blinder. (played well enough at Ibrox but still took 2 goal line clearances for the clean sheet).

We've had about 2 shut outs in 40 odd games and the if there is a stat for shots on target to goals/saves we must be bottom. If it's on target it's in. Aberdeen 4 shots on target, 4 goals, Dundee Utd not asked to make a save in the whole game but we lose 1 - 0, even Hearts 2 shots = 2 goals. The list goes on. Yes the defence isn't good enough but I think the keepers have a big part to answer to and I wouldn't lose sleep if they all went in January.
I'm not convinced the defence is the problem? I think its further up the park where our defencive problems start. None of our forwards are good at defending from the front. I dont count Trakys in that, as he's only played twice. The midfield apart from Miller have no class, and although i'd agree that he's probably the worst defender of all the midfielders, the rest are not very good at it either.

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Stack's a decent shot-stopper, the problem is that he has a vertebrae that appears to make Freddie Arpinon's look like the post office tower. I mean that literally, not metaphorically, he has the courage and craziness a keeper needs. Problem is that he's going to spend a large chunk of each season on the treatment table.

Smith I think, has no future at the club. Sometimes he looks decent but you're always waiting for a flapping, bottling disaster.

Brown, that slip against the Yams and one or two other considerations apart, looks decent. Definitely the man for anybody to take the jersey from.

basehibby
23-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Brown has a steadiness about him which I like - he's a good all round keeper basically and I'm happy to have him between the sticks as our No 1 for the forseeable.

Stack is also a decent keeper but has one major flaw - he canny kick the ball to save his life and often puts his defence under pressure as a consequence.

Smith is not nearly as bad as some would have you believe but does seem to be the least consistent of the three. However, in his defence, during the 6-6 debacle I'm sure I remember him receiving a weighty boot to the head at some point in the game - I thought this contributed to a dreamily shambolic shape to the rest of his evening, so maybe Yogi should have subbed him at the time?!?

Overall I'm happy to state that our longstanding goalkeeping problems have finally come to an end with a more than capable Brown supported by two able deputies. That's one department for which Yogi can look back at his tenure at Hibs and be happy that he left things in much better shape than he found them.