PDA

View Full Version : ATP World Tour Finals

Sir David Gray
22-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Today is the second day of the year end Championships at the O2 Arena in London.

Yesterday saw wins for Andy Murray and Roger Federer as the two favourites for Group A began in great style.

Murray beat the man who has just taken his number four world ranking, Robin Soderling, in straight sets. Murray won in less than an hour and a half, 6-2 6-4.

Federer remains unbeaten against David Ferrer as he beat the Spaniard for the 11th time in a row, 6-1 6-4.

The two victors from yesterday will meet tomorrow, with the winner almost certain to progress to the semi finals. The match will take place at about 2pm.

Today it was the turn of Group B and in the afternoon session, Novak Djokovic beat Tomas Berdych, who was making his debut appearance at the tournament. Djokovic won 6-3 6-3 in under 90 minutes. Berdych's shocking run of form since getting to the Wimbledon final in July continues and he has now only won 8 matches in his last 10 tournaments since Wimbledon. He also has not beaten a top 30 player since Wimbledon either.

Tonight, Rafael Nadal plays Andy Roddick in what could be the match of the Finals so far. It's currently one set all as Nadal has just levelled things up by winning the second set tie-break after Roddick took the opening set 6-3.

Sir David Gray
23-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Andy Murray just about to start against Roger Federer, if anyone's interested.

Come on Andy! :thumbsup:

For those who don't have Sky Sports, the match is being shown live on BBC 2.

Sir David Gray
23-11-2010, 02:11 PM
First set to Federer, 6-4. :boo hoo:

Murray was broken near the start of the set and although he was 0-30 up when Federer was serving for it at 5-4, the set didn't look like going to Murray at any point.

Still time though. :agree:

Sir David Gray
23-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Match over now, I would say.

Federer has broken twice and is currently 3-0 up in second set.

Still all to play for as far as Murray's concerned, though, as he will probably still go through to the semis if he beats David Ferrer on Thursday.

Sir David Gray
23-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Game, set and match, Federer.

Federer wins 6-4 6-2.

Murray will be really upset with his performance today but, to be honest, Federer was just too good on the day.

Murray will just need to pick himself up and beat Ferrer on Thursday.

ancienthibby
23-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Game, set and match, Federer.

Federer wins 6-4 6-2.

Murray will be really upset with his performance today but, to be honest, Federer was just too good on the day.

Murray will just need to pick himself up and beat Ferrer on Thursday.

Fed had Murray in his back-pocket for the entire game! Murray seemed to be unsettled from the start, maybe not surprisingly, when the home crowd was clearly well in favour of Federer.:grr:

That said, I'd rather this loss happens now and if Murray can beat Ferrer and Federer keeps Soldering under control, then the two could meet again in the final and we might just get a different result!!

C'mon Andy!!:agree:

Golden Bear
23-11-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm not a tennis expert by any means but it seems to me that Andy lacks a wee bit of firepower and is often content simply to return the ball hoping that his opponent will make the mistake.

More aggression required Andy!!!

Sir David Gray
23-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm not a tennis expert by any means but it seems to me that Andy lacks a wee bit of firepower and is often content simply to return the ball hoping that his opponent will make the mistake.

More aggression required Andy!!!

That's been the one criticism of Murray, along with his poor first serve percentage, from the very start of his career.

His patient, defensive play will work against most players because most of his opponents don't have the firepower to blast Murray off the court and they don't have the patience to play Murray at his own game. That is why he has been a regular in the top four of the rankings for the past couple of years now.

Unfortunately, although the tactic will undoubtedly work sometimes against the top players, guys like Nadal and Federer just aren't going to be troubled by that gameplan if they play their best tennis. That might explain the fact that, although Murray has a winning head-to-head against Federer, when it comes to the big finals Federer has the edge against him.

Murray has the ability to play attacking tennis and I just don't know why he doesn't play that way more often.

Sir David Gray
23-11-2010, 10:45 PM
In tonight's match, Robin Soderling beat David Ferrer 7-5 7-5 to get back into the tournament.

With one match left in Group B, Roger Federer has a 100% record at the top, Andy Murray and Soderling are both tied at one win and one defeat each and David Ferrer must hope for a miracle if he is to progress after losing both his opening matches.

The final round sees Federer take on Soderling and Murray facing Ferrer.

If Murray and Soderling both win then it will mean that Federer, Murray and Soderling will all have two wins and one defeat and Ferrer will be out. It will all come down to which two out of those three have the best 'games won' percentage and they will both progress to the semis. If Murray and Soderling both lose, Murray, Soderling and Ferrer will have one win and two defeats, Federer will be through and it will depend on who has the best 'games won' percentage out of the other three as to who else goes through.

In terms of Murray's chances in particular, he really needs to beat David Ferrer on Thursday and if Federer beats Soderling, he will definitely be through to the semi finals. If he loses to Ferrer, he'll need to hope that it's by a small margin and that Federer beats Soderling by quite a large margin.

A big defeat for Murray will probably put him out of the competition but, to be honest, if he can't manage a win over David Ferrer then he doesn't really deserve to be there. Ferrer actually has a 3-1 lead over Murray in previous meetings but all of Ferrer's victories have come on clay, so that stat is not really significant.

JimBHibees
24-11-2010, 11:13 AM
In tonight's match, Robin Soderling beat David Ferrer 7-5 7-5 to get back into the tournament.

With one match left in Group B, Roger Federer has a 100% record at the top, Andy Murray and Soderling are both tied at one win and one defeat each and David Ferrer must hope for a miracle if he is to progress after losing both his opening matches.

The final round sees Federer take on Soderling and Murray facing Ferrer.

If Murray and Soderling both win then it will mean that Federer, Murray and Soderling will all have two wins and one defeat and Ferrer will be out. It will all come down to which two out of those three have the best 'games won' percentage and they will both progress to the semis. If Murray and Soderling both lose, Murray, Soderling and Ferrer will have one win and two defeats, Federer will be through and it will depend on who has the best 'games won' percentage out of the other three as to who else goes through.

In terms of Murray's chances in particular, he really needs to beat David Ferrer on Thursday and if Federer beats Soderling, he will definitely be through to the semi finals. If he loses to Ferrer, he'll need to hope that it's by a small margin and that Federer beats Soderling by quite a large margin.

A big defeat for Murray will probably put him out of the competition but, to be honest, if he can't manage a win over David Ferrer then he doesn't really deserve to be there. Ferrer actually has a 3-1 lead over Murray in previous meetings but all of Ferrer's victories have come on clay, so that stat is not really significant.

Very good summary and it is very similar to last years tournament when Federer and Del Potro contrived a certain score to put Murray out. Del Potro had to win the last set 6-3 and hey presto that is what happened. As you say though Murray needs to go out and beat Ferrer in 2 sets which would be almost certain to get him through.

JimBHibees
24-11-2010, 11:15 AM
That's been the one criticism of Murray, along with his poor first serve percentage, from the very start of his career.

His patient, defensive play will work against most players because most of his opponents don't have the firepower to blast Murray off the court and they don't have the patience to play Murray at his own game. That is why he has been a regular in the top four of the rankings for the past couple of years now.

Unfortunately, although the tactic will undoubtedly work sometimes against the top players, guys like Nadal and Federer just aren't going to be troubled by that gameplan if they play their best tennis. That might explain the fact that, although Murray has a winning head-to-head against Federer, when it comes to the big finals Federer has the edge against him.

Murray has the ability to play attacking tennis and I just don't know why he doesn't play that way more often.

Agree again it works when Nadal and Federer arent quite at the top of their game less so when they are. Federer also is a guy you cant allow to lead as his confidence goes through the roof if he is. Hopefully just an off day for Murray though at least he is still in with a reasonable chance in the tournament if he ups his game

Sir David Gray
24-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Very good summary and it is very similar to last years tournament when Federer and Del Potro contrived a certain score to put Murray out. Del Potro had to win the last set 6-3 and hey presto that is what happened. As you say though Murray needs to go out and beat Ferrer in 2 sets which would be almost certain to get him through.

Federer is up first tomorrow so that will make life a bit easier for Murray as he will know exactly what is required tomorrow night in order for him to progress.

Murray will be in control of the situation and Federer won't be able to influence anything.

Sir David Gray
24-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Tomas Berdych has just beaten Andy Roddick 7-5 6-3, which leaves Roddick with two defeats and is bottom of the group.

Tonight sees a potential cracker of a match between Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic and if it's even half as good as the US Open final between the two then it could be a very special evening.

It's just a shame that it's only going to be a best-of-three sets match.

ancienthibby
25-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Federer defeats Soderling, so that means Andy has to win just one set tonight and he will go through to the semis!!

C'mon Andy!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
25-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Federer defeats Soderling, so that means Andy has to win just one set tonight and he will go through to the semis!!

C'mon Andy!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Correct. :agree:

Any type of win tonight will put Murray through and a three sets defeat will also mean that he has definitely progressed as well.

A very narrow straight sets defeat would also probably be enough as well, so basically as long as he doesn't get hammered tonight, he is guaranteed to be in the semis.

He can't win the group though so he would go through as the runner-up, so the chances are that he will play Rafael Nadal on Saturday in the semi-finals.

Sir David Gray
25-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Andy is due to start in a couple of minutes, if anyone's interested.

Sir David Gray
25-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Shocking start by Murray, down 2-0 in the opening set. :boo hoo:

Sir David Gray
25-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Got the break back, though. :thumbsup:

2-1 to Ferrer, back on serve.

Sir David Gray
25-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Now 4-2 to Murray, back in the driving seat. :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
25-11-2010, 07:41 PM
5-2 Murray. :thumbsup:

Just needs one more game to win the set that will secure his place in the semis.

ancienthibby
25-11-2010, 07:45 PM
6-2 That's him through to the semis!!

Woo Hoo:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
25-11-2010, 07:46 PM
6-2, Murray.

Murray's qualified for the semis on Saturday. :thumbsup:

ancienthibby
25-11-2010, 07:52 PM
And he's just broken Ferrer in the first game of the second set!!

Looking good.:agree:

Here, in the Home for the Bewildered, the lights are flickering, so it's Radio 5 for me now!!

Well done, Andy.

Night All!

jodjam
26-11-2010, 07:45 AM
jut back from a few days at the tennis. Really great trip and the atmosphere is amazing. Cheap seats were £20 but blagged seats at front for all the matches.

Maradona was there all week however the main footy star for me was Tommy Craig who was down with the wife :)

Sir David Gray
26-11-2010, 10:14 AM
jut back from a few days at the tennis. Really great trip and the atmosphere is amazing. Cheap seats were £20 but blagged seats at front for all the matches.

Maradona was there all week however the main footy star for me was Tommy Craig who was down with the wife :)

Jammy sod. :greengrin

I have been to Wimbledon for the past two years which, in my opinion, is the tennis tournament, because of its history and traditions and winning Wimbledon on the Centre Court is widely regarded as being the ultimate goal of most tennis players, above every other tournament.

However, although the atmosphere at the World Finals at the O2 couldn't be more different to Wimbledon if it tried, it seems to have a very special feel of its own. Also, to have the best eight players in the world all playing at the one tournament makes it a really unique experience for the players and fans alike.

I would love to go down one year to watch a couple of matches.

jodjam
26-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Jammy sod. :greengrin

I have been to Wimbledon for the past two years which, in my opinion, is the tennis tournament, because of its history and traditions and winning Wimbledon on the Centre Court is widely regarded as being the ultimate goal of most tennis players, above every other tournament.

However, although the atmosphere at the World Finals at the O2 couldn't be more different to Wimbledon if it tried, it seems to have a very special feel of its own. Also, to have the best eight players in the world all playing at the one tournament makes it a really unique experience for the players and fans alike.

I would love to go down one year to watch a couple of matches.

It's the atmosphere that makes it. The whle build up prior to the match is first class. It is more rock concert than tennis tho. Went for two whole days so could guarantee seeing all 8 players.

The girlfriend kissed Novak who is her hero so that made her trip :)

Sir David Gray
26-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Rafael Nadal wins the first set against Tomas Berdych, 7-6.

He is now guaranteed to be in the semi finals tomorrow but he needs to win to ensure that he goes through as the group winner.

Sir David Gray
26-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Rafael Nadal wins 7-6 6-1 and he will now play Andy Murray in tomorrow's semi finals.

Berdych is now out of the tournament so the other semi final will be between Roger Federer and either Novak Djokovic or Andy Roddick.

Djokovic only requires a set to finish as the runner-up but if Roddick wins in straight sets, he will be going through to the last four.

ancienthibby
26-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Rafael Nadal wins 7-6 6-1 and he will now play Andy Murray in tomorrow's semi finals.

Berdych is now out of the tournament so the other semi final will be between Roger Federer and either Novak Djokovic or Andy Roddick.

Djokovic only requires a set to finish as the runner-up but if Roddick wins in straight sets, he will be going through to the last four.

Disappointed to hear Murray sounding so down yesterday about the prospect of facing Nadal!

Nadal NEEDS to be beaten - he may be the finest tennis player equal to/above Federer, but I just can't take to him (sorry me!) and I'd just love Andy to beat him.

Plus if he does (and depending how ND plays) Murray could end up being No 3 in the world!!

May that happen!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
26-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Disappointed to hear Murray sounding so down yesterday about the prospect of facing Nadal!

Nadal NEEDS to be beaten - he may be the finest tennis player equal to/above Federer, but I just can't take to him (sorry me!) and I'd just love Andy to beat him.

Plus if he does (and depending how ND plays) Murray could end up being No 3 in the world!!

May that happen!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was very disappointed to hear Murray's comments about playing Nadal. I was always brought up with the attitude of, if you don't believe in yourself enough to think that you at least have a chance of winning, there's no point in turning up and entering tournaments.

Along with the comments that he made after losing to Federer in the Australian Open final in January, I am starting to have doubts about Murray's mental toughness at the very highest level of the sport.

Anyone who knows anything about tennis will know that Federer and Nadal are tough to beat, they are possibly the two greatest players who have ever played the sport, but they are not invincible and they can be beaten.

Anyone who comes up against them has to believe that is the case, otherwise what is the point in playing them?

I really admire Nadal, I think he is a fantastic sportsman, what he has achieved in his career already has been remarkable and he also has an excellent manner about him, even when he loses, but I will be firmly behind Murray tomorrow and I hope he beats him.

Good luck, Andy! :aok:

Sir David Gray
26-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Novak Djokovic beats Andy Roddick 6-2 6-3 so he finishes second in Group A and has progressed to tomorrow's semi finals, where he will play Roger Federer.

That match will take place at 8pm tomorrow, the first semi between Murray and Nadal will start at 2pm.

lyonhibs
27-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Is anyone else watching this?? The best I've seen Murray play in ages, and one of the best matches of tennis of recent years.

Great sporting drama :agree:

ancienthibby
27-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Is anyone else watching this?? The best I've seen Murray play in ages, and one of the best matches of tennis of recent years.

Fabulous game of tennis!

No one deserved to lose!

Andy will take great encouragement into the Aussie Open from this match.

Well done, Andy!:agree:

Sir David Gray
27-11-2010, 06:28 PM

I missed it because I was freezing my wotsits off at Easter Road whilst watching utter garbage instead. :grr:

I spoke to someone who did watch it though and they said Murray played really well, particularly in the second set and pushed Nadal all the way.

I'm glad he seems to have done himself justice and it's just a shame that he seems to have fallen just slightly short.

The other semi between Federer and Djokovic will be starting in about half an hour if anybody fancies watching that.

Sir David Gray
27-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Federer wins opening set 6-1.

Looks like being a Nadal-Federer final tomorrow then...

Sir David Gray
27-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Federer beat Djokovic 6-1 6-4 so he will now play Rafael Nadal in tomorrow's final of the World Finals.

The final starts at 5:30pm tomorrow.

It will be the 18th time that the two will have met in a final.

The head-to-head in finals is 12-5 in Nadal's favour and it should be a fantastic match.

I would actually put Federer in as the slight favourite since Nadal had a tough match today against Murray and Federer had a relatively straightforward win in comparison. Federer has been playing really well throughout the Finals but you can never dismiss Rafael Nadal.

Sir David Gray
28-11-2010, 05:38 PM
The final is just starting to heat up now.

Federer played some great tennis in winning the opening set 6-3 but Nadal has just broken him to go 3-1 up in the second set.

Sir David Gray
28-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Nadal levels the match by taking the second set 6-3.

Onto the third and deciding set.

Sir David Gray
28-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Federer wins 6-3 3-6 6-1 to win his 5th ATP World Finals title.

Federer fully deserved his win here and I think the 3 hours+ match that Nadal had played against Murray yesterday meant that today was just a little too much for him.

So the 2010 tennis season has finally come to an end and what a year it has been. It began in spectacular style with Andy Murray reaching his second Grand Slam final, only for Roger Federer to come out on top once again, winning his fourth Australian Open title and 16th Grand Slam title in total.

However the rest of the year really only belonged to one man - Rafael Nadal. He won the other three Majors of the year, including a fifth title at Roland Garros and a second success at Wimbledon. In September, he became the youngest man (at only 24) to complete the Career Grand Slam in the Open Era, when he won at the US Open by beating Novak Djokovic in the final.

During the course of the 2011 season, Roger Federer will celebrate his 30th birthday. If you have watched him over the past week in London, you wouldn't think that his best days were behind him but the truth is, they probably are.

With Nadal dominating on almost every surface, not just clay as was previously the case and five years his junior, it will be difficult to see Federer returning to the top as he was four or five years ago. However, if this week is anything to go by, it doesn't look like Federer is going anywhere.

It will be interesting to see how he reacts to losing his Wimbledon crown. The last time he failed to win at SW19, in 2008, he came back the following year and reclaimed his title. This time, however, he failed to even make the semi finals and that will have hurt him.

It is a privilege to watch, what I believe, is the greatest rivalry that the sport of tennis has ever seen. It will be interesting to see if Djokovic and Murray can continue to challenge the top two and if del Potro can fully recover from his long term wrist injury then there might be three or four guys who will be trying to bring down the duopoly that has been reigning the tennis world for such a long time.

They have won 25 of the last 30 Grand Slam titles between them and it is going to take a huge effort by someone if that statistic is going to change over the next 12 months.

So the players now go off for a well earned rest and they will return in January with the first real test coming at the Australian Open, which starts on 17th January.

See you in Melbourne...

Betty Boop
29-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Federer wins 6-3 3-6 6-1 to win his 5th ATP World Finals title.

Federer fully deserved his win here and I think the 3 hours+ match that Nadal had played against Murray yesterday meant that today was just a little too much for him.

So the 2010 tennis season has finally come to an end and what a year it has been. It began in spectacular style with Andy Murray reaching his second Grand Slam final, only for Roger Federer to come out on top once again, winning his fourth Australian Open title and 16th Grand Slam title in total.

However the rest of the year really only belonged to one man - Rafael Nadal. He won the other three Majors of the year, including a fifth title at Roland Garros and a second success at Wimbledon. In September, he became the youngest man (at only 24) to complete the Career Grand Slam in the Open Era, when he won at the US Open by beating Novak Djokovic in the final.

During the course of the 2011 season, Roger Federer will celebrate his 30th birthday. If you have watched him over the past week in London, you wouldn't think that his best days were behind him but the truth is, they probably are.

With Nadal dominating on almost every surface, not just clay as was previously the case and five years his junior, it will be difficult to see Federer returning to the top as he was four or five years ago. However, if this week is anything to go by, it doesn't look like Federer is going anywhere.

It will be interesting to see how he reacts to losing his Wimbledon crown. The last time he failed to win at SW19, in 2008, he came back the following year and reclaimed his title. This time, however, he failed to even make the semi finals and that will have hurt him.

It is a privilege to watch, what I believe, is the greatest rivalry that the sport of tennis has ever seen. It will be interesting to see if Djokovic and Murray can continue to challenge the top two and if del Potro can fully recover from his long term wrist injury then there might be three or four guys who will be trying to bring down the duopoly that has been reigning the tennis world for such a long time.

They have won 25 of the last 30 Grand Slam titles between them and it is going to take a huge effort by someone if that statistic is going to change over the next 12 months.

So the players now go off for a well earned rest and they will return in January with the first real test coming at the Australian Open, which starts on 17th January.

See you in Melbourne...

Ever fancied a career in sports journalism ? You are very good ! :greengrin

Sir David Gray
30-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Ever fancied a career in sports journalism ? You are very good ! :greengrin

I have considered it, particularly for tennis because I love the sport and I enjoy putting up little reports on here about certain tournaments etc., but I wasn't actually that great at English when I was at school so I would probably struggle to get accepted onto a sports journalism degree course.

Cheers for the compliment, though! :aok: