PDA

View Full Version : A 2 Player Team?

Expecting Rain
22-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Riordan and Miller, i would have included Bamba but i think he plays his own game which borders on the erratic, it wouldn`t bother me if we couldn`t hang onto the rest of them.

1two
22-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Is browns contract up this season too?
I'd keep him

Bad Martini
22-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Riordan and Miller, i would have included Bamba but i think he plays his own game which borders on the erratic, it wouldn`t bother me if we couldn`t hang onto the rest of them.

Probably about bang on the money mate.

Bamba is consistently inconsistent...he's either "really decent" or really really worrying bombscaringly bad.

:agree:

down-the-slope
22-11-2010, 02:20 PM
there are none that i would bust the bank to keep......the sooner we get the decks clear and wages freed up for the greater number of players that will be out there come the summer from clubs whose finances are in a mess the better.

each of the last few years has seen record numbers of players with no permenent contract....i fully expect this summer there to be greater number still as the effect of squad quotas filter down...with the right scouting and negotiation we should be able to do better than we have with money that will be freed up and available...

Future17
22-11-2010, 02:27 PM

While I find Riordan frustrating at times, I agree that, with the squad we have at present, he is the main goal threat and has to be kept.

However, Miller can go. One of the best midfielders in the league on his day but far too inconsistent and it is impossible to play as a midfielder in the SPL if you are not prepared to make and take tackles. We will never win the type of games which turn into battles as long as players like Miller are in the team.

AndersonGGTTH
22-11-2010, 02:30 PM
derek riordan never frustrates me , he does everything i want to do:L love you deeks

Dunbar Hibee
22-11-2010, 02:32 PM
If we let Riordan go we are ****ed. Plain and simple.

AndersonGGTTH
22-11-2010, 02:36 PM
:top marks
:top marks

down-the-slope
22-11-2010, 02:44 PM

:confused: players come and go (for what ever reason)and heros change from one year to the next....but the club and fans remain

Beefster
22-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Considering how every single player has under-performed in 2010, I won't weep for any of them leaving next summer. Whatever happens, supporters are going to have to have a little faith in Calderwood.

Dunbar Hibee
22-11-2010, 03:02 PM
:confused: players come and go (for what ever reason)and heros change from one year to the next....but the club and fans remain

Obviously... but as a team we would be screwed.. It would be unbeliveably stupid if we let out best player go..

Beefster
22-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Obviously... but as a team we would be screwed.. It would be unbeliveably stupid if we let out best player go..

Doesn't that depend on whether we adequately replaced the player or not?

Dunbar Hibee
22-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Yeah true, but who could replace Deek? :wink:

WellingtonHibby
22-11-2010, 03:25 PM

Derek Riordan is a bang average player and has been for a very long time, any potential went a long time ago and at 27, he isn't going to improve any more. He plays for himself most weeks and dines out on his first spell at Hibs.
All this fawning fellatio on here baffles me.

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Derek Riordan is a bang average player and has been for a very long time, any potential went a long time ago and at 27, he isn't going to improve any more. He plays for himself most weeks and dines out on his first spell at Hibs.

I actually agree with that, in the grand scheme of things, Derek is an average player. Although he plays in the SPL, and in that league he's a very good player. If you mean he's an average player in the SPL, then what does that make the rest of them at easter road?

Stevie Reid
22-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Is browns contract up this season too?
I'd keep him

One of the few pluses so far this season has been Brown - not perfect and has still conceded a couple of soft goals, but no longer worry that every involvement of our GK, however simple, could put us in trouble or lead to a cheap goal being given away.

Probably haven't felt this level of security from a Hibs keeper since Daniel Anderson IMO.

Dunbar Hibee
22-11-2010, 03:42 PM

Riordan an average player?:hilarious Any one with eyes can see the talent that boy has got.

down-the-slope
22-11-2010, 05:29 PM

matty_f
22-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Considering how every single player has under-performed in 2010, I won't weep for any of them leaving next summer. Whatever happens, supporters are going to have to have a little faith in Calderwood.

I agree with this, totally.

WindyMiller
22-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I agree with this, totally.

.........and I'd second that.

Cropley10
22-11-2010, 07:13 PM

:agree: in fact I've already got more than a "little faith"...

His analysis of the game on Saturday was very telling - and a far cry from the proverbial, worked their socks off/gave me everything etc nonsense we've had to put up with for years IMHO.

I think he already knows who isn't good enough/doesn't want to work hard enough/thinks he's better than he is...

Zazu62
22-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Ian murray anyone?

Albion Hibs
22-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Ian murray anyone?

Agreed, has shown that since he came back.

lucky
22-11-2010, 08:41 PM
I doubt we will see the mass clear out some are predicting. as such Brown, McCann, Miller, Riordan, Galbraith, Murray, de Graffe, Hanlon, Stevens, Rankin will all be here next season. He will need add some more players but its unlikely to be 11 or more. 1 or 2 in January and and 3 in summer. The rest of the squad made up with rest of last years youth players.

Ones who will go Bamba, Harte, Dickho, Trakis, McBride, Hogg, Stack, Smith and Nish

Expecting Rain
23-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I doubt we will see the mass clear out some are predicting. as such Brown, McCann, Miller, Riordan, Galbraith, Murray, de Graffe, Hanlon, Stevens, Rankin will all be here next season. He will need add some more players but its unlikely to be 11 or more. 1 or 2 in January and and 3 in summer. The rest of the squad made up with rest of last years youth players.

Ones who will go Bamba, Harte, Dickho, Trakis, McBride, Hogg, Stack, Smith and Nish

You are correct there won`t be a mass clear out due to circumstances and fiancial reality, another couple of iffy seasons ahead but if we can`t judge the manager by who comes in it will be interesting to see who is out of favour at the end of the season, i hope we can hold onto Riordan and Miller for another couple of years, so that we can be offered some kind of hope.

Miller33
23-11-2010, 12:26 PM
I cant believe that people say that losing Derek Riordan and Liam Miller wouldnt be a bad thing? They are clearly our 2 best players and I hope that they are both signed up on long term deals sooner rather than later. Id also like to keep Kevin McBride and Ian Murray!

sam armstrong
23-11-2010, 12:34 PM

Miller and McBride were the main part of our central midfield who were out muscled and out fought in nearly every game we played. Whilst Miller does have talent, he is a luxury player I doubt will be a regular for much longer.

Hibernian Verse
23-11-2010, 12:37 PM
I'd quite like to keep Dickoh to be honest.

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Miller and McBride were the main part of our central midfield who were out muscled and out fought in nearly every game we played. Whilst Miller does have talent, he is a luxury player I doubt will be a regular for much longer.

And replacing him with another player like Murray, Rankin or De Graff would improve us?

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2010, 01:14 PM
I'd love big Colin Nish to be spearheading our front line for years to come.

Dream on, Bobby, I hear you say.

Well, what are we without dreams?

HibeePaj
23-11-2010, 01:29 PM

Are you serious?

Liam Miller is the most inconsistent player we have. He has really annoyed me the way he has played this season, constantly putting in half hearted performance with with a 'i used to play for man utd' attitude. He seems to be the only player most weekends that wants far too much time on the ball. Good on his day, albeit the two games against rangers this season i feel that he has shone. Great name on paper but think that players should be in the team on merit, and putting in performances worthy of the shirt.

marinello59
23-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Are you serious?

Liam Miller is the most inconsistent player we have. He has really annoyed me the way he has played this season, constantly putting in half hearted performance with with a 'i used to play for man utd' attitude. He seems to be the only player most weekends that wants far too much time on the ball. Good on his day, albeit the two games against rangers this season i feel that he has shone. Great name on paper but think that players should be in the team on merit, and putting in performances worthy of the shirt.

Miller has put in more good performances than bad. Doesn't stop some folk in the crowd having a go at him from start to finish though no matter what he does. He isn't perfect, if he was he wouldn't be at Hibs, but he is one of the best we have.

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Are you serious?

A mind reader HP? Maybe he was let go by Man U for playing with a hibs players attitude?:confused:

sam armstrong
23-11-2010, 01:52 PM
And replacing him with another player like Murray, Rankin or De Graff would improve us?

Nobody said I wanted to replace him with any of thses players, but the truth is Miller struggles in the competitive nature of our league. Do you think we win many midfield battles? Against Hearts is a good example where they out compete us with guys like Egger Johnson and the Pole (don't know his name) who don't have Millers skills but are more effective week in week out.

HibeePaj
23-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Miller has put in more good performances than bad. Doesn't stop some folk in the crowd having a go at him from start to finish though no matter what he does. He isn't perfect, if he was he wouldn't be at Hibs, but he is one of the best we have.

I personally wouldn't say he was one of our best. I think there is a good few players before him tbh. Its not that he tries, but to no avail; most weeks its just a lacklustre performance. He played well last season with McBride in midfeild, but he seems to have lost something this season (mibby mcbride?). If Miller gets the ball during an attack, the attack stops(unless he shoots).

A mind reader HP? Maybe he was let go by Man U for playing with a hibs players attitude?:confused:

that or ability... Great on his day(or when he can be bothered). One thing i will say is that when hibs are playing well he does seem to playing alot better, coincidence? not sure, but how many times have hibs played well ths season?

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Nobody said I wanted to replace him with any of thses players, but the truth is Miller struggles in the competitive nature of our league. Do you think we win many midfield battles? Against Hearts is a good example where they out compete us with guys like Egger Johnson and the Pole (don't know his name) who don't have Millers skills but are more effective week in week out.

We will struggle to replace Miller with a player with more ability. I agree we could replace him with someone with a bit more fight. Replacing him with someone with his ability and fight will be very difficult.

I'd build the midfield around him, rather than just get another workhorse in.

marinello59
23-11-2010, 03:08 PM
We will struggle to replace Miller with a player with more ability. I agree we could replace him with someone with a bit more fight. Replacing him with someone with his ability and fight will be very difficult.

I'd build the midfield around him, rather than just get another workhorse in.

Stevie Reid
23-11-2010, 03:34 PM

I find it hard to believe that you have seen so much in Miller that you wish to keep him beyond the end of his contract yet you have seen so little in De Graaf that you are ready to bin him after 14 games.

Miller should stroll the SPL, he's been here before and shot to the highest level of football on the back of that and his Champions League exploits. I was delighted when we signed him but I would now not be bothered if we were to let him go, unless there was a significant upturn in his performances. Yes, we should hold on to our most skilfull players, but only if they bring something tangible to the team on a regular basis.

It might sound preposterous to even suggest letting a guy who was on £50K a week at Man Utd 4 years ago, but Ivan Sproule was light years away from Liam Miller, signed for £5K from Distellary, but I know who offered more in a Hibs shirt. We know why Miller ended up here - because his career was in a downward trajectory, but we were delighted as he had so much to offer, potentially. But let's face it, the fact that we stand a good chance of retaining him at the end of his contract shows how little he has played anything close to what he is capable of during his time here.

Miller clearly had a great start to his Hibs career but has been very poor since the start of the year, bar a couple of matches, yet you are still happy for him to retained because of his pedigree - who's to say that De Graffe can't reverse that and come on to become a very important player for us (which I believe that he will)? De Graffe has never played in the SPL before, and is dealing with a new league, new country and a different manager to the one he signed for, 4 months into his Hibs career - yet no concessions are made for him, despite his pedigree.

If De Graffe proves to have been as average as Miller has been after 47 games, I will be happy for him to be moved on - I don't consider that to be accepting mediocrity in any way, incidentally. And for what it's worth, I'll be absolutely delighted if we get the best out of Liam Miller until the end of his contract - in fact, I'd rather that and then have him leave, than him to continually underachieve and have him stay.

hibsbollah
23-11-2010, 03:43 PM
I'd like to see us keeping a spine of Brown, Bamba, Riordan, Zemmama. Of the rest, some I like more than others but I wouldnt really mind if the rest were sent on their way.

As has been said, a little faith in Calderwood is required, and if he sees the need to get rid of any of the 4 above i'd be disappointed but would accept it. He sees more of the players day in day out than I do, after all.

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I find it hard to believe that you have seen so much in Miller that you wish to keep him beyond the end of his contract yet you have seen so little in De Graaf that you are ready to bin him after 14 games.
I have seen quite a lot of Miller, i am a season ticket holder. The reason i prefer Miller to De Graff is i believe he has much more ability. De Graff is a hod carrier, and not a very good one at that.
Miller should stroll the SPL, he's been here before and shot to the highest level of football on the back of that and his Champions League exploits. I was delighted when we signed him but I would now not be bothered if we were to let him go, unless there was a significant upturn in his performances. Yes, we should hold on to our most skilfull players, but only if they bring something tangible to the team on a regular basis.
Miller is obviously at Hibs for a reason, that reason is he's not good enough for the EPL, but he had enough promice to get a chance there. And still has the ability imho, but does not have the physical attributes for that league. I agree he has to contribute more, just as the others need to too. I wouldnt hold my breath on any of the others making any long lasting contributions, but with the right players around Miller, i think he'd blossom.
It might sound preposterous to even suggest letting a guy who was on £50K a week at Man Utd 4 years ago, but Ivan Sproule was light years away from Liam Miller, signed for £5K from Distellary, but I know who offered more in a Hibs shirt. We know why Miller ended up here - because his career was in a downward trajectory, but we were delighted as he had so much to offer, potentially. But let's face it, the fact that we stand a good chance of retaining him at the end of his contract shows how little he has played anything close to what he is capable of during his time here.
I'd rather keep him than any other midfielder, i dont want 4 or 5 midfielders like Ian Muray, or De Graff. We create little at the moment from the middle of the park, imagine what it would be like with another destroyer? :faf: I use that word loosely?
Miller clearly had a great start to his Hibs career but has been very poor since the start of the year, bar a couple of matches, yet you are still happy for him to retained because of his pedigree - who's to say that De Graffe can't reverse that and come on to become a very important player for us (which I believe that he will)? De Graffe has never played in the SPL before, and is dealing with a new league, new country and a different manager to the one he signed for, 4 months into his Hibs career - yet no concessions are made for him, despite his pedigree.
If its fine to write off Trakys after a couple of sub appearances totaling 20 minutes, i think 14-15 games is long enough to make my mind up with De Graff.
If De Graffe proves to have been as average as Miller has been after 47 games, I will be happy for him to be moved on - I don't consider that to be accepting mediocrity in any way, incidentally. And for what it's worth, I'll be absolutely delighted if we get the best out of Liam Miller until the end of his contract - in fact, I'd rather that and then have him leave, than him to continually underachieve and have him stay.

Again, i believe Miller has genuine quality, he's another like riordan thats not fully appreciated. we should be keeping our quality players, and replacing the dross, not the other way round?

Stevie Reid
23-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Again, i believe Miller has genuine quality, he's another like riordan thats not fully appreciated. we should be keeping our quality players, and replacing the dross, not the other way round?

Cheers for taking the time to reply, though I disagree with much of what you say and will therefore waste no more time going over the points that we have already disagreed on. I do not see De Graaf as a hod carrier at all, if by that you mean an Ian Murray type player - Ian does a vital job very well, whereas De Graaf was clearly signed to have more of an impact going forward. I have seen much to make me believe that De Graaf can become a pivotal player for us.

I know he has missed sitters, but you have to be there to miss them and he has shown intelligent link up play at times, with Riordan especially. Also, in the Motherwell game in particular, I've seen him take up intelligent postions between the opposition midfield and back four. Time will only tell on this as we are still in the infancy of his Hibs career and I think CC will continue to select him - as he will Miller.

Who says Miller has to be replaced by another destroyer, incidentally? I certainly didn't and it is therefore an invalid way to back up your argument. Your last comment implies that I would like Miller replaced by a crap player, which is ridiculous. For me, what's important to consider here is do I believe that we could find a midfielder on LM's salary that could offer us more than him on a regular basis? Absolutely. It's not unrealistic to expect someone on his salary to be a big player for Hibs every week, in fact we're in real trouble if that kind of money can't buy you that.

Your comment on Trakys would register if I had written him off after 2 sub appearances, which I didn't. Therefore I still feel that 14 games is too little time to judge someone who has had mitigating circumstances to deal with in his short time here.

For what it's worth I appreciate Riordan far more than I appreciate Miller, as he shows his considerable skills way more than Miller does - and unlike Miller we'd get nowhere near the same quality for the same money if he left. And yes, we should be replacing the dross with quality, but the same applies right throughout the team - I think we can get better value for many player's salaries, and I've already stated that Miller is one of them, unless there is a dramatic improvement in the next few months.

scoopyboy
23-11-2010, 04:14 PM

What if he doesn't want to stay?