PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Again From Calderwood

Speedway
22-11-2010, 09:39 AM
I haven't seen much comment from him about the Caley game but he did make some interesting albeit brief comments.

He said that mentality of how we're going to start games has to be much much better. He mentioned that in the second half, if he'd have kept the same shape, we weren't getting back in the game, so he pushed players up to attack them.

This was because they'd been working on 1 v 1 and 2 v 2 defending and even 2 v 3 and knew that this is what would happen if he chose to change our shape to a more attacking formation.

Sadly, he said that we couldn't defend 1 v 1s and 2 v 2s so whilst it backfired, the result wasn't any different than if he'd have kept it the same.

Am I reading too much into this or is he delivering a stark assessment of his players in a very gentle way?

IWasThere2016
22-11-2010, 09:43 AM
I haven't seen much comment from him about the Caley game but he did make some interesting albeit brief comments.

He said that mentality of how we're going to start games has to be much much better. He mentioned that in the second half, if he'd have kept the same shape, we weren't getting back in the game, so he pushed players up to attack them.

This was because they'd been working on 1 v 1 and 2 v 2 defending and even 2 v 3 and knew that this is what would happen if he chose to change our shape to a more attacking formation.

Sadly, he said that we couldn't defend 1 v 1s and 2 v 2s so whilst it backfired, the result wasn't any different than if he'd have kept it the same.

Am I reading too much into this or is he delivering a stark assessment of his players in a very gentle way?

:agree: Man management by stealth .. expected changes in January IMHO.

McCann back for Hart would be my first move personally - as it can be done on the 1st.

Big Frank
22-11-2010, 09:43 AM

No, I think yer bang on the money.

Will say though, putting Bamba at right back didnae help on Saturday. We are rank throughout Speedway, and CC knows it.

PeterboroHibee
22-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Is he getting a game for Caley?

Sure he is, played 8 games so far; obv couldnt play against us and sure he picked up an injury for a few games, so pretty much been first choice RB.

Golden Bear
22-11-2010, 12:51 PM

McCann back for Hart would be my first move personally - as it can be done on the 1st.

You're not exactly Michael Hart's greatest fan are you TQM?!

:greengrin

Supraninja
22-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Sure he is, played 8 games so far; obv couldnt play against us and sure he picked up an injury for a few games, so pretty much been first choice RB.

Think he scored a really nice goal as well. I think, maybe.

Pretty Boy
22-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Think he scored a really nice goal as well. I think, maybe.

:agree: He did, at tannadice. Absolute peach.

As for the OP, Calderwood is no fool, he can see exactly what the problems are and i'm certain he is aware of who the players are that are not good enough.

I don't think it does anyone any good to slaughter the players publicly but comments like the ones he made this weekend make me confident that we will see changes sooner rather than later. He is clearly just trying to get us through to January with what we have, get a few boys in to steady the ship until the summer and then let the clearout begin.

MB62
22-11-2010, 02:04 PM

As for the OP, Calderwood is no fool, he can see exactly what the problems are and i'm certain he is aware of who the players are that are not good enough.
I don't think it does anyone any good to slaughter the players publicly but comments like the ones he made this weekend make me confident that we will see changes sooner rather than later. He is clearly just trying to get us through to January with what we have, get a few boys in to steady the ship until the summer and then let the clearout begin.

The problem is not really about spotting who is or is not good enough, that's generally fairly obvious. The problem is being able to find, then entice, players that ARE good enough to improve the squad and January might prove a bit difficult to do that. Hope C.C. will have enough contacts from down south to at least wangle a few loan deals until the summer.

IWasThere2016
22-11-2010, 02:09 PM
You're not exactly Michael Hart's greatest fan are you TQM?!

:greengrin

:cool2:

Long suffering
22-11-2010, 02:14 PM

cant say i agree with that, while harts lost a yard of pace hes solid defensively (albeit i didnt see him on saturday), the bias in terms of supporting are young players is a bit silly on here sometimes, same applies for stevenson

silverhibee
22-11-2010, 02:56 PM
cant say i agree with that, while harts lost a yard of pace hes solid defensively (albeit i didnt see him on saturday), the bias in terms of supporting are young players is a bit silly on here sometimes, same applies for stevenson

Lucky you then, Hart fully deserved to be hooked at half time, he just kept making the same mistake over and over again, how hard is it to have a wee look to see if there is a player behind you.
I thought he would have been a decent signing for us as well, but he was dire at the weekend.

Part/Time Supporter
22-11-2010, 03:20 PM
I think McCann has been playing at left back for Inverness sometimes.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Lucky you then, Hart fully deserved to be hooked at half time, he just kept making the same mistake over and over again, how hard is it to have a wee look to see if there is a player behind you.
I thought he would have been a decent signing for us as well, but he was dire at the weekend.

I think that Hart thinks that he is a better player than he actually is. The way that we pursued his signature reminds me of the way that Collins signed HKT. Chased him for ages, personal recomendations, drawn out money negociations, and then they deliver a lot less than was promised.

Andy74
22-11-2010, 03:32 PM

I wonder the reaction if Hughes had said all those things, or didn't slate the players after a 4-2 loss?

Wasn't Hughes also just getting by, particulalry without Stokes, Zemmama and Duffy, until he could change or clear out as required?

I thought we changed manager to get things improved immediately as it was all about tactics, formations, man management and rambling to the press??

Happy to say I think CC will do well for us but I'm struggling to spot the difference in the main right now either in the team or the press comments.

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2010, 03:34 PM
I think that Hart thinks that he is a better player than he actually is. The way that we pursued his signature reminds me of the way that Collins signed HKT. Chased him for ages, personal recomendations, drawn out money negociations, and then they deliver a lot less than was promised.

This is another quote you see on here on a regular occurrence. It always seems to be labeled at them when they play badly, never when they have a good game?

Beefster
22-11-2010, 03:44 PM
I wonder the reaction if Hughes had said all those things, or didn't slate the players after a 4-2 loss?

Wasn't Hughes also just getting by, particulalry without Stokes, Zemmama and Duffy, until he could change or clear out as required?

I thought we changed manager to get things improved immediately as it was all about tactics, formations, man management and rambling to the press??

Happy to say I think CC will do well for us but I'm struggling to spot the difference in the main right now either in the team or the press comments.

Hughes had been there for 15/16 months, signed almost an entire team, was in charge for 10 games this season and won one.

Calderwood's been there for a month, signed no-one, been in charge for six games this season and won two.

We've gone from a 10% win rate to a 33% win rate - seems like an immediate improvement to me.

silverhibee
22-11-2010, 03:56 PM
This is another quote you see on here on a regular occurrence. It always seems to be labeled at them when they play badly, never when they have a good game?

Some of them need to have a good game first.:wink:

stubru59
22-11-2010, 04:00 PM
It wouldn't have mattered who got the managers job, too many of the current crop of players are simply not up to it.

In that sense discussing systems or tactics is an irrelevance.

Hiber-nation
22-11-2010, 10:03 PM

He seems on the face of it a half decent full back but he makes errors that cost us goals every week. Not good enough.

IWasThere2016
22-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Hart's poor - nae pace, nae touch, cannae pass or defend. Another blinder fae Yogi!

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Hart's poor - nae pace, nae touch, cannae pass or defend. Another blinder fae Yogi!

You said something similar about Trakys.

IWasThere2016
22-11-2010, 10:52 PM
I was not alone :wink: and seen enough of Hart. Trakys had a few mins at Eberdeen and Tannadeechee. He coulda been hooked back off too :greengrin

RickyS
22-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Hughes had been there for 15/16 months, signed almost an entire team, was in charge for 10 games this season and won one.

Calderwood's been there for a month, signed no-one, been in charge for six games this season and won two.

We've gone from a 10% win rate to a 33% win rate - seems like an immediate improvement to me.

what he said:top marks

cam75
24-11-2010, 11:24 AM
To many diddys picking up good wages by spl standards get rid of them,the Manager finds them then the chairman decides yes or no to much of the brown stinky stuff has been brought in,on Hart good player on his day but not week in week out.