PDA

View Full Version : Why is Levein ignoring our Premiership Scotland 11?

Franck is God
20-11-2010, 01:09 PM
I was wondering, given that the English Premiership is one of the strongest leagues in Europe why he would not simply pick his starting eleven from those playing in this league?

Our starting line up could be pretty good and considering there are good Scottish players in the SPL and Championship I personally think that his performance so far has been poor.

Gordon

Hutton---Caldwell---Berra---Crainey

Dorrans---D Fletcher---Morrison---Bannan

McFadden--S Fletcher

Subs:

Gilks
Bardsley
S Caldwell
Danny Wilson
Adam
McArthur
O'Connor

Thecat23
20-11-2010, 01:15 PM
I was wondering, given that the English Premiership is one of the strongest leagues in Europe why he would not simply pick his starting eleven from those playing in this league?

Our starting line up could be pretty good and considering there are good Scottish players in the SPL and Championship I personally think that his performance so far has been poor.

Gordon

McFadden--S Fletcher

Subs:

Gilks
Bardsley
S Caldwell
Danny Wilson
Adam
McArthur
O'Connor

I'd never have McFadden starting, maybe off the bench but I'm not really a fan. Also it may be one of the best leagues but i still think players should be picked on form not the league they play in. I do agree that Potter has made a bit of a mess of his teams at times though.

H18sry
20-11-2010, 01:26 PM
I'd never have McFadden starting, maybe off the bench but I'm not really a fan. Also it may be one of the best leagues but i still think players should be picked on form not the league they play in. I do agree that Potter has made a bit of a mess of his teams at times though.

Injured anyway. :wink:

Cocaine&Caviar
20-11-2010, 01:26 PM

Gordon

McFadden--S Fletcher

Subs:

Gilks
Bardsley
S Caldwell
Danny Wilson
Adam
McArthur
O'Connor

Gordon has been unavailable most of the season, the same with Caldwell and McFadden.

Bannan has only recently been playing non-reserve football, and has since had a cap,

Morrison, Kommons, Gilks, and Bardsley shouldnt even be considered anyway as theyre English.

McArthur has had nothing but sub appearances for Wigan, same with O'Connor at Bham before and after going out on loan, and Wilson at Liverpool.

Crainey and Steven Caldwell shouldnt be considered as theyre Pish.

However, I agree with the likes of Adam, Fletcher and Dorrans.

I would also be more concerned with the SPL talent that are not getting chosen ahead of some of the named such as Dixon, Kenneth, and Riordan, who although may be limited, have skills in certain areas, are playing reguarly and are Scottish.

Franck is God
20-11-2010, 01:27 PM

The team I named is not really my first choice either, it was more to just point out that we do have plenty good players to choose from and can name an entire side and subs bench from the Prem alone.

When you add all the players performing well in the SPL and Championship too we are just not doing as well as I think we should.

Cocaine&Caviar
20-11-2010, 01:33 PM
IMO, the foundation of our national pool should be built on the following:

GK: Gordon, McGregor
DR: Hutton, Whittaker
DL: Wallace, Dixon
DC: G Caldwell, Webster
DC: Berra, McManus

MR: Burke, Brown
ML: McFadden, Robson
MC: Dorrans, Adam
MC: Fletcher, Thomson

CF: Fletcher, Miller
ST: Boyd, Iwelumno

With guys for the future being included such as McArthur, Wilson, Goodwillie, Murphy, Kenneth, Davidson, Bannan, Fleck, Naismith, Thomson, Maguire.

A squad with good technical ability, and potential for the future. A team that can go out and give it a go, might not qualify or win much, but we dont anyway. Also, every one of them is actually Scottish, and not choosing us over England C.

H18sry
20-11-2010, 01:40 PM

With guys for the future being included such as McArthur, Wilson, Goodwillie, Murphy, Kenneth, Davidson, Bannan, Fleck, Naismith, Thomson, Maguire.

A squad with good technical ability, and potential for the future. A team that can go out and give it a go, might not qualify or win much, but we dont anyway. Also, every one of them is actually Scottish, and not choosing us over England C.
Highlighted player are not good enough

Franck is God
20-11-2010, 01:40 PM

You've just picked 33 players that right now could do a good job on the pitch for Scotland and as you say not one of them is a plastic Jock either.

So where is the lack of talent that we are constantly reminded of as the excuse for failure?

Cocaine&Caviar
20-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Highlighted player are not good enough

I really rate Wallace, might be a ****bag, but hes got talent, more than McLevely or Crainey for sure. Dixon is okay, decent young player, not gonna have a squad full of world beaters.

Boyd, a goalscorer that when played alongside Fletch I believe could get us goals in certain games. Iwelumno decent target man, and a different option.

The others, decent enough players, that could do something more in the future.

All IMO of course.

Brads Laing
20-11-2010, 02:58 PM
IMHO, Riordan should be a no-brainer in that squad, potter doesn't have a clue if he picks players from inverness for the scotland squad ahead of the likes of deeks and fletch

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2010, 04:36 PM
I watched the Blackpool game on the tv today, and i think i caught a glimpse of the gimp in the crowd.

Cocaine&Caviar
20-11-2010, 05:10 PM
IMHO, Riordan should be a no-brainer in that squad, potter doesn't have a clue if he picks players from inverness for the scotland squad ahead of the likes of deeks and fletch

who are you refering to?

SidBurns
20-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Gordon has been unavailable most of the season, the same with Caldwell and McFadden.

Bannan has only recently been playing non-reserve football, and has since had a cap,

Morrison, Kommons, Gilks, and Bardsley shouldnt even be considered anyway as theyre English.

McArthur has had nothing but sub appearances for Wigan, same with O'Connor at Bham before and after going out on loan, and Wilson at Liverpool.

Crainey and Steven Caldwell shouldnt be considered as theyre Pish.

However, I agree with the likes of Adam, Fletcher and Dorrans.

I would also be more concerned with the SPL talent that are not getting chosen ahead of some of the named such as Dixon, Kenneth, and Riordan, who although may be limited, have skills in certain areas, are playing reguarly and are Scottish.

Gordon is our best GK by far - END OF!

I agree with you as regards Bannan, he is just 'feeling' his way into things but disagree COMPLETLY as regards Kommons, Gilks etc. If we had SCOTTISH BORN players that were better then fair enough but we haven't.

As regards Crainey, who else, apart from maybe Wallace is a better Scottish left back!?!

Dixon and Kenneth would struggle to get a game at some amateur teams IMO - MURDER!

Anyway, will get down off my soap box, just wanted to add my tuppence...

erin go bragh
20-11-2010, 07:18 PM
because he is an anti hibs james hunt:agree:
GGTTH

Speedy
20-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Gordon is our best GK by far - END OF!

I agree with you as regards Bannan, he is just 'feeling' his way into things but disagree COMPLETLY as regards Kommons, Gilks etc. If we had SCOTTISH BORN players that were better then fair enough but we haven't.

As regards Crainey, who else, apart from maybe Wallace is a better Scottish left back!?!

Dixon and Kenneth would struggle to get a game at some amateur teams IMO - MURDER!

Anyway, will get down off my soap box, just wanted to add my tuppence...

True but he was injured and struggled to get back into the team at Sunderland ahead of an in form Mignolet so that's why he wasn't playing for Scotland. However, he's back in the team now and he'll be number one when available imo.