PDA

View Full Version : Jim Cruickshank - passed away.

haagsehibby
19-11-2010, 12:10 PM
A great goalie and imo a player that transcends the Hibs Hearts rivalry. Another player who was overlooked too often by the Scotland set up.

JT Fae The Toon
19-11-2010, 12:16 PM
A great goalie and imo a player that transcends the Hibs Hearts rivalry. Another player who was overlooked too often by the Scotland set up.

Thanks for posting haagsehibby. Cruicky was the first Hearts goalie I'd ever seen and he was a real star. Not the biggest but he made up for that with his gymnastic ability and bravery.

RIP Cruicky "The Cat".

--------
19-11-2010, 12:22 PM

Very sad news indeed.

Jim was a very fine goalkeeper who regularly gave us grief at Derby matches by making saves no one had any right to expect him to make.

When I first started watching football in the mid-1960's he was IMO the best Scottish goalkeeper in the game and should have been an automatic choice for Scotland. The reason he wasn't was of course the fact that he didn't play for Rangers or Celtic or in England; he played for Hearts and therefore couldn't possibly be good enough.

Jim was a very, very good goalkeeper, and a sportsman and gentleman as well. Most Hibees of my generation held him in the very highest respect and regard, and I'm very sorry to hear of his death.

Sincerest condolences to his family. :agree:

DoonTheSlope
19-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Sad news I remeber watching Jim play for Hearts against us way back when I was a nipper.

wazoo1875
19-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Sad news indeed.

RIP Jim

haagsehibby
19-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Very sad news indeed.

Jim was a very fine goalkeeper who regularly gave us grief at Derby matches by making saves no one had any right to expect him to make.

When I first started watching football in the mid-1960's he was IMO the best Scottish goalkeeper in the game and should have been an automatic choice for Scotland. The reason he wasn't was of course the fact that he didn't play for Rangers or Celtic or in England; he played for Hearts and therefore couldn't possibly be good enough.

Jim was a very, very good goalkeeper, and a sportsman and gentleman as well. Most Hibees of my generation held him in the very highest respect and regard, and I'm very sorry to hear of his death.

Indeed. I worked for him when he was manager of Scotts in Rose Sreet. He was great company and a gent as you say. Had a few tales to tell as well. Let's hope there's a good bookie for him "upstairs".

heretoday
19-11-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm upset about this.

When my old guv'nor started taking me to the football we used to go to Hibs one week and Hearts the next......whoever was playing at home. The very first game I saw was Hearts v Third Lanark.

Cruicky was a constant presence in the Maroons goal. An abiding memory was of Hibs scoring four against him in the first 20 minutes of a derby at Tynie. His swallow-like leaps in vain pursuit of Stevenson's and O'Rourke's shots were .....well........swallow-like!

Sleep well Cruicky.

MB62
19-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Sad news indeed, Jim was an excellent keeper.

He surely couldn't have been that old, in his 70's I would guess, was it sudden or a long term illness?

crewetollhibee
19-11-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm upset about this.

When my old guv'nor started taking me to the football we used to go to Hibs one week and Hearts the next......whoever was playing at home. The very first game I saw was Hearts v Third Lanark.

Cruicky was a constant presence in the Maroons goal. An abiding memory was of Hibs scoring four against him in the first 20 minutes of a derby at Tynie. His swallow-like leaps in vain pursuit of Stevenson's and O'Rourke's shots were .....well........swallow-like!

Sleep well Cruicky.
Me too. Saw a lot of games at Tynecastle, it was just the done thing at that time for my Father's generation to go alternately to ER and Tynecastle, and then to later take their sons. RIP Jim, one of the original Edinburgh taches.

haagsehibby
19-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Sad news indeed, Jim was an excellent keeper.

He surely couldn't have been that old, in his 70's I would guess, was it sudden or a long term illness?

He was 69 I believe.

JimBHibees
19-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Can remember him as a great goalie and very agile. As Doddie said another Edinburgh based player scandalously ignored for Scotland. Can remember watching on tv a fantastic penalty save he had against Tommy Gemmell of Celtc who used to blooter his penalties.

RIP Jim.

blackpoolhibs
19-11-2010, 12:47 PM
He was a fine keeper, the one i first remember playing for hearts when i was a kid. A real shame. R.I.P.

BSEJVT
19-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Remember him well too.

Good keeper in his day.

69 is not old now.

RIP

Hiber-nation
19-11-2010, 01:02 PM
I was going to post this earlier as Jim's son is my mate. Jim had been through a long fight against cancer.

Back in the late 60s when we used to go to ER one week and Tynie the next, me and my Hibbie pals always looked forward to watching Cruicky pulling off save after save, week in week out. Just to reinforce what others have said, he should have played far far more games for Scotland. I was talking to him last year about that penalty save from Joe Davis (before my time unfortunately) but Cruicky was as modest as usual.

A truly great goalie and a really humble guy. RIP Jim.

stubru59
19-11-2010, 01:03 PM
If memory serves, Jim saved two - retaken - penalties, in a game against Celtic.

Celtic were given a third, and duly scored.

That would in the days when the ref's were "unbiased" of course!

Great keeper.

IFONLY
19-11-2010, 01:04 PM

Really nice man, used to speak to him a lot when he worked in Sighthill Health Centre.

Golden Bear
19-11-2010, 01:19 PM
There has been all too many of Jim's generation passing away of late.

I'm another one who has childhood memories of Jim performing heroics and he seemed to be an automatic pick in the Hearts team for a number of years.

Very sad.

Greentinted
19-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Would put him up there with our 5 and their 3, Dave MacKay, John Cummings, Pat Stanton, Erich (and no doubt a guid few more) in the transcendental respect stakes. Always remember him playing in the early 70s when I was taken week about and even in the latter stages of his playing days he was more than decent. It was rumoured that his employers engineered an ignominous end to his days at Tynecastle but by all accounts he remained loyal and dignified in public.
It must have irritated him the amount of time a non-existant 's' was added to the end of his surname! Funny the things you remember.
RIP Jim C, another one of the good guys.

khib70
19-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Very sad news indeed.

:agree:That says it all for me, Doddie.

Rest in peace Jim

Lucius Apuleius
19-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Another one from the days when there seemed to be no hatred. RIP Jim.

surreyhibbie
19-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Shocking news. Cruickshank was a marvellous keeper and very often a pain in our side.

Vaguely remember Sloop at Tynecastle going on a run past several players and crashing in a shot which should have been a goal.

Cruikshank pulled it out of the air one-handed and looked at sloop contemptuously as if to say "Is that all you've got"

Sloop just stared at him and his shoulders visibly dropped.

Too many other fine saves to mention. Never met the man but he seems to have been well respected off the field as well.

RIP

IWasThere2016
19-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Sad news. RIP JC.

phoenixfire
19-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Very sad news, remember him as thorn in our side in quite a few matches
condolences to his family RIP

Dashing Bob S
19-11-2010, 02:17 PM
RIP Jim. An Edinburgh and Scottish football legend. My Hearts supporting family idolised him and with good reason. Excellent keeper who managed the impossible feat of keeping Hearts 'goal against' column in games against Hibs to semi-respectable levels.

Didn't know him but two different people i know who did said he was one of the nicest men you could hope to meet. His passing is very sad, as he is a remnant of an era where the rivalry between Hibs and Hearts fans was less poisonous than it is today.

Hibiza
19-11-2010, 02:36 PM
r.i.p

heretoday
19-11-2010, 03:17 PM
RIP Jim. An Edinburgh and Scottish football legend. My Hearts supporting family idolised him and with good reason. Excellent keeper who managed the impossible feat of keeping Hearts 'goal against' column in games against Hibs to semi-respectable levels.

Didn't know him but two different people i know who did said he was one of the nicest men you could hope to meet. His passing is very sad, as he is a remnant of an era where the rivalry between Hibs and Hearts fans was less poisonous than it is today.

Hear Hear.

Sergey
19-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Jim Cruikshank (circa 1979) as he held a summer coaching school which I attended. A really fine man who was a credit to HoMFC.

Sorry to learn that he's passed away.

blindsummit
19-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Very sad indeed. He was Hearts goalie when I started going to Hibs games as a kid and he was a fabulous keeper and well respected by fans of all clubs. RIP.

One Day
19-11-2010, 03:23 PM

Sad news

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Small in stature but had excellent reflexes, as already said he defied us on numerous occasions, RIP Jim

Green_one
19-11-2010, 03:50 PM
First Goalie whose name I knew

Real shame

RIP

Jonnyboy
19-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Very sad news indeed.

Spot on in every respect Doddie

RIP Jim

bournehibby
19-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Very sad news indeed.

Echo all those thoughts Doddie, a reminder of the days when you could go to Tynie with your Jambo pals, and hold some respect for the likes of Cruicky too.

jdships
19-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Sad news indeed
I rate Jim Cruickshank along with Bobby Kirk ( both Jambo's) as two of the nicest football people I have ever met
Both were sportsmen and gentlemen

RIP

johnrebus
19-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Sad news.

My abiding memory of Jim Cruikshank was of an East of Scotland Sheild game at ER c.1971.

We battered Hearts for eighty odd minutes before finally finding a way past him from the penalty spot (Jimmy O'Rourke IICR)

I can still picture Jim sitting in the mud with a look of pure dejection on his face.

A great keeper and a nice man.

RIP

Phil D. Rolls
19-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Sad news, a young man in modern terms. RIP

ronaldo7
19-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Absolutely great Goalie...Before his time. RIP Jim

fatbloke
19-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Shocking news. Cruickshank was a marvellous keeper and very often a pain in our side.

Vaguely remember Sloop at Tynecastle going on a run past several players and crashing in a shot which should have been a goal.

Cruikshank pulled it out of the air one-handed and looked at sloop contemptuously as if to say "Is that all you've got"

Sloop just stared at him and his shoulders visibly dropped.

Too many other fine saves to mention. Never met the man but he seems to have been well respected off the field as well.

RIP

Yes sad news exceptional keeper. Think I may have been in your company that day Brian.

Malthibby
19-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Star of many grim 1:1's.
R.I.P.

son of haggart
19-11-2010, 05:16 PM
"Cruickshank for Scotland"

we shouted so many times in the late 60s and early 70s in his years of exile from the national team.

"Aye Aye Aye Aye. Cruickshank is better than Yashin "

My all time hero and I am really gutted.

:brokenyam:

HibbyRod
19-11-2010, 05:44 PM
I always remember Jim as a great goalie.

Seems to have been a real gent too.

Genuinely sorry to hear of his passing.

Condolences to his family and friends.

We done it Dad
19-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Very sad news
RIP Jim

Alfred E Newman
19-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Great Hearts stalwart who always had plenty to do when he faced Hibs. Another face from the 60`s who has sadly passed away.

lapsedhibee
19-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Never said this about a Hearts player and don't expect to again.
Never posted on a RIP thread and don't expect to again.
Jim Cruickshank was a great, great player.

therealgavmac
19-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Wholehertedly agree with all sentiments in these posts. Till my Dad passed away, he always spoke about him as a hero.

Very sad news, and I feel priveleged to be old enough to have seen him play.

R.I.P.

HibbyRod
19-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Hi lapsed!

Like you, I always respected Jim Cruickshanks as a great goalie. (Despite being myself a rabid, biased Hibby!)

I tried to re-register on JKB tonight to state my condolences (despite having being banned for so-called previous indiscretions against Hearts. :rolleyes:)

I genuinely wanted to express my condolences to his family and friends. However, my intentions to re-register were thwarted at every turn.

I think that this is sad, because it is one of the few occasions where fans from both divides could express their appreciation of an Edinburgh individual regardless of current allegencies.

If there are any mods from JKB on here tonight please take note!

O'Rourke3
19-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Condolances to his family. He was the opposition goalie at my first Hibs match and pulled off a great save right in front of me at the Dunbar end. It's actually my only memory of the game. Decent keeper and by the testimonials here - decent bloke too.
R.I.P.

JT Fae The Toon
19-11-2010, 07:12 PM

:top marks

Thank you all for the respect shown on this thread - it's appreciated.

This is taken from the HMFC Facebook page.

Following the passing of Jim Cruickshank, the club has spent the day talking to key supporters' reps. There will be a minute of silence tomorrow and then Marian Kello will take a shirt with Jim's name and No. 1 and lay it in his goalmouth to be with him and us for the day. Rest easy, Jim. We won't forget you.

It would appear from the above that Cruicky will be in goal for one last time tomorrow - fantastic.

London Hearts have also put up a tribute page.

http://www.londonhearts.com/index.htm

Removed
19-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Agree with the posts on here. Jim was the first hearts keeper I remember seeing play and his daughter was pals with my sister at school and it didn't even bother me when Jane came round to our house because her dad was a great player and the fact that he played for hearts didn't bother me. Weird but would that happen now? My sister also knew him well from his time at sighthill health centre and she said he was a lovely man. Sad news. Condolences to the family and r.i.p Jim, a true hearts and Edinburgh great.

Jamesie
19-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Jim's son is married to the sister of one of my friends and if his old man was anything like him then he was a top bloke. RIP Jim Cruikshank.

HibbyRod
19-11-2010, 07:24 PM

Following the passing of Jim Cruickshank, the club has spent the day talking to key supporters' reps. There will be a minute of silence tomorrow and then Marian Kello will take a shirt with Jim's name and No. 1 and lay it in his goalmouth to be with him and us for the day. Rest easy, Jim. We won't forget you.

JTFTT.

Thanks for the recognition of our genuine condolences.

However, it would have been nice if us Hibs fans could have been allowed to state so on JKB as a genuine recognition of our respect for Jim Cruickshanks on their website.

Has it really come to this?

The Harp
19-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Very sad to hear of Jim Cruickshank's passing. One of the old school without a doubt. A great 'keeper whose haul of something like 6 international caps was scandalous considering his ability between the sticks.
Jim was at Tynecastle at the time I was going to watch both city clubs on alternate weeks as my wee pal was a Jambo (for some reason). Cant remember anyone saying a bad word against Jim in his amazing 17 years with the Hearts. Even dyed-in-the-wool Hibees had the utmost respect for him, not only as a player, but as a true gentleman.

RIP Jim
Condolences to his family and friends

Removed
19-11-2010, 07:28 PM
JT could maybe copy and paste onto kickback Rod. Genuine hearts fans will know the respect that we will have for Jim Cruickshank.

tamsonsbairn
19-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Watched Jim in many a game and I think he was one of the best goalies of his era, if not the best. I also had the pleasure to meet him a few times whilst playing golf at Duddingston. A gentleman first, and a true sportsman. RIP Cruiky.

JT Fae The Toon
19-11-2010, 07:29 PM
JTFTT.

Thanks for the recognition of our genuine condolences.

However, it would have been nice if us Hibs fans could have been allowed to state so on JKB as a genuine recognition of our respect for Jim Cruickshanks on their website.

Has it really come to this?

Rod, I agree but if it's any consolation, someone has linked your post on here to the JC thread on JKB so both sides of the city can read your condolences.

PC Stamp
19-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Sad news indeed. I too remember seeing him in my formative fitba' watching years. I'm glad Cruicky didn't play on 1/1/73. He was twice the keeper Kenny Garland ever was IMHO and had he played, we mightn't have been talking about a certain scoreline all these years!

RIP Jim.

HibbyRod
19-11-2010, 07:34 PM
JT could maybe copy and paste onto kickback Rod. Genuine hearts fans will know the respect that we will have for Jim Cruickshank.

Yes, I hope so, at least 65bd.

It really is sad that when occurences like this happen (where cross decency spans the divide occur, that some people just cannot seem to recognise common decency).

Both communities should be able to recognise this.

WindyMiller
19-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Very sad news indeed.

I'd echo these sentiments!:agree:

Kaiser1962
19-11-2010, 07:46 PM
I recall Jim playing at Gala Fairydean when he was in the veteran category and we had a good bit of hibby banter going on and much hilarity. Anyway about midway through the second half he took a goalkick with a few guys behind him trying to put him off and he skelfed the thing and fell on his arse only to get up pissing himself laughing along with us. Good fun and top bloke.

Jim Herriot
19-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Very sad news. The first Hearts keeper I remember. Not a single bad word about him here. Seems like he was a top guy.

RIP Jim

thebakerboy
19-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Was probably the first Hearts player I really respected and remember after he'd had a blinder against us the Hibs fans joining in with Cruiky for Scotland chants . Also met him when he was manager of Scotts , a gentleman and what a keeper 50/60 caps if he was playing for the OF . RIP Jim.

heretoday
19-11-2010, 08:12 PM
He wasn't a "great" goalkeeper in the mould of Roughie or Leighton.

He didn't like to get involved in the physical stuff too much unlike say Goram or Banks. He was athletic and could make incredible diving saves. All of us kids used to dive around during "3 and in" sessions and make like Cruicky.

He was just a decent guy like a lot of players in those days - men like Alan Anderson who played the game because they enjoyed it and loved the team they played for.

PapillonVert
19-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Can only echo the thoughts of all the Hi-bees here, especially those of us of a certain vintage where inter-city rivalries were just that, rivalries in the old-fashioned sense of good-natured banter and there were far more important things in life to worry about.

RIP Jim Cruickshank. A great Jambo and Edinburgh football man.

hibsfan7
19-11-2010, 08:40 PM
it seems by all the threads posted on here that we are all very very sad to hear the passing of a true hearts legend

rest in peace jim

iwasthere1972
19-11-2010, 08:56 PM
An excellent goalkeeper in his day.

RIP Cruickie.

Hamish
19-11-2010, 09:18 PM
''There will be a minute of silence tomorrow and then Marian Kello will take a shirt with Jim's name and No. 1 and lay it in his goalmouth to be with him and us for the day. Rest easy, Jim. We won't forget you.''

Like that. Nice tribute.

Getting to the age where too many of the players I grew up watching are leaving us- Alan Gordon, Bobby Smith and now Cruickie.

Silversand
19-11-2010, 09:25 PM
First Hearts keeper I remember in my younger days.

RIP Jim.

joebakerforever
19-11-2010, 09:36 PM
IIRC the stereotype image I remember of JC was wearing a cap and a yellow jersey.

Even on the pitch he always came across as a very agile keeper who was never involved in anything nasty.

I noted from an earlier post mention was made of Jim's affinity with the bookie and I remember a humorous story that done the rounds when he was playing.

Apparently the trainer came on during a game to tend to an injured Hearts player and could hear a horse race commentary nearby. The source was claimed to be a tranny that Cruicky had stashed under the towel in his goal net in order to listen how a horse he had backed was doing :big grin:

stoneyburn hibs
19-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Rip

Jimbo
19-11-2010, 10:35 PM

It has been noted and is appreciated.

hibbiedon
19-11-2010, 10:57 PM
He broke my heart on many occasions, I can only echo what many have said a great keeper that I had respect for R.I.P Jim

hibee_nation
19-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Sad news, himself and Donald Ford are the first Hearts names i can remember. It was rivalry back then, now it just seems hatred to show we can hate as much as the old firm. RIP Jim. To all Jambos as this is linked to KB, I and all good Hibbies shall be with you in respect of your minutes silence. :agree:

Heraghty's
20-11-2010, 12:29 AM
My thanks to all fellow Hibees for showing such genuine respect and appreciation for a true gentleman and sportsman of my era.
Jim was respected throughout Scottish football.
His name was synonymous with Hearts.
They may be rivals in a sporting sense but true Jambos will be hurting tonight for the loss of a special person.
My thoughts go out to his family. RIP Jim.

Bostonhibby
20-11-2010, 07:21 AM
"Cruickshank for Scotland"

we shouted so many times in the late 60s and early 70s in his years of exile from the national team.

"Aye Aye Aye Aye. Cruickshank is better than Yashin "

My all time hero and I am really gutted.

:brokenyam:

Nae doubt he was a great keeper, many Hibbies I knew then respected him as a real thorn in our side, he should have been a Scotland regular but like a few others at that time he stayed loyal to the one club and it wasn't one of the gruesome twosome.

Great loss, RIP.

killie-hibby
20-11-2010, 08:26 AM
RIP.
Genuine legend,who, like many others in the 60's & 70's showed true loyalty for their respective clubs.

hibees59
20-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Can only echo the thoughts of all the Hi-bees here, especially those of us of a certain vintage where inter-city rivalries were just that, rivalries in the old-fashioned sense of good-natured banter and there were far more important things in life to worry about.

This sums it all up. RIP Jim.

franks
20-11-2010, 08:32 AM
I would like to endorse the tributes on this thread to a hearts legend and great goalkeeper. My thoughts and condolences to his family.

lyonhibs
20-11-2010, 08:58 AM
A long time before my time, but some of the stories, particularly one of a double save from a (Hibs?) penalty that have done the rounds on here can only lead to one conclusion that JC was a great goalkeeper, from a different era.

Sounds like an absolute gent as well.

GGTTH

Gettin' Auld
20-11-2010, 09:03 AM
IIRC the stereotype image I remember of JC was wearing a cap and a yellow jersey.
I remember that cap, tache, and an all black strip (but i could be haverin about the jersey).......Also those were the days before keepers wore gloves, but the ball still stuck to his hands.

Fine keeper who should have played more often for Scotland.

RIP

son of haggart
20-11-2010, 09:37 AM
I remember that cap, tache, and an all black strip (but i could be haverin about the jersey).......Also those were the days before keepers wore gloves, but the ball still stuck to his hands.

Fine keeper who should have played more often for Scotland.

RIP

Your memory is fine - golden yellow shirt or all black (a la Yashin)

Triple save from a Joe Davis panalty

Sammy7nil
20-11-2010, 09:38 AM

Agree RIP Jim

steino1875
20-11-2010, 09:46 AM
sad news

Hibby D
20-11-2010, 09:51 AM

It would appear from the above that Cruicky will be in goal for one last time tomorrow - fantastic.

London Hearts have also put up a tribute page.

http://www.londonhearts.com/index.htm

What a beautiful and touching tribute - one I'm sure will bring many a tear to family and fans.

RIP

joe breezy
20-11-2010, 10:06 AM
First Hearts goalie I remember as a wee boy...
My grandad, a Hearts fan, knew a few of the Hearts players of that era and may well have knew Jim (will ask my mum later)
His memory will live on
Condolences to his family friends and Hearts fans

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Although he played for Hearts, he did play in an era that most edinburgh football fans respected each others teams. There are not many left who will get this sort of reaction from both sides of the divide. Maybe i'm wrong, but with minutes silences or applauses for this that and the other, such a common thing these days. IMHO Hibs should have one at our next home game. He was a true Edinburgh great, and deserves it even from us.

Phil D. Rolls
20-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Although he played for Hearts, he did play in an era that most edinburgh football fans respected each others teams. There are not many left who will get this sort of reaction from both sides of the divide. Maybe i'm wrong, but with minutes silences or applauses for this that and the other, such a common thing these days. IMHO Hibs should have one at our next home game. He was a true Edinburgh great, and deserves it even from us.

I think that is a good idea. We have tributes to people who never had anything to do with our community - this man is a legend in Edinburgh, and deserves to be remembered at ER.

son of haggart
20-11-2010, 11:05 AM
I think that is a good idea. We have tributes to people who never had anything to do with our community - this man is a legend in Edinburgh, and deserves to be remembered at ER.

Would be a terrific gesture athough |I doubt it will happen

Certainly has more relevance (As would the reverse for some Hibs players of that era)

hibiedude
20-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Jim Cruickshank and Jim O'Rourke spent some time at Fette Lorrs boys club training the wee neds like myself many many years ago.

I always found him to be gentleman and I was sorry to hear he had passed away.

R.I.P.

Forza Fred
20-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Was probably the first Hearts player I really respected and remember after he'd had a blinder against us the Hibs fans joining in with Cruiky for Scotland chants . Also met him when he was manager of Scotts , a gentleman and what a keeper 50/60 caps if he was playing for the OF . RIP Jim.

SAd news.
I was at teh gaem referred to at Tynecastle when I think he single handedly held us out for a 0-0 draw.

first and only time I have ever heard Hibs supporrters en masse chanting a Hearts player's name in praise, and I am not ashamed to admit I joined in.

Cruickshank was truly miraculous that day, and his performance just had to be acknowledged irrespective of club rivalries.

As I say, never saw it happen before, and certainly never saw it since.

Aubenas
20-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Sorry to hear this. A great keeper from the time when numpties didnt feel the need to manufacture OF type bile between the Edinburgh teams. One of my favourite keepers. RIP Jim

hibbybrian
20-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Rediculously he was only picked 6 times to play for Scotland and I believe we only lost 1 international with him between the sticks :bitchy:

Good to see the due level of respect being accorded on here :top marks

RIP Jim Cruikshank

francobaresi
20-11-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm sure he used to live round the corner when I lived in Sighthill, RIP Jim...

ginger_rice
20-11-2010, 01:52 PM
I hadn't heard this sad news until this morning when I read the paper, was staying at my jambo sister in laws, when I read the news out to her she seemed surprised that I would be in the slightest bit interested!

It's strange that there are only a few Hearts players who come easily to my mind, and most of them come from that era when you knew what each club in the leagues team would be for each Saturday.

When hibs played hearts you expected Jim Cruikshank to be in goal, a great servant to his club and to Scottish football in general, and I am ver sorry to see his passing at a still far to early age.

And what a wonderful tribute at Tynecastle today.

Phil D. Rolls
20-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Would be a terrific gesture athough |I doubt it will happen

Certainly has more relevance (As would the reverse for some Hibs players of that era)

I agree, it would nice to pay that era its respects as it slips away though. Everything is so instant and - dare I say it - staged these days. Even a simple announcement at the game and a chance for people to applaud, without making it showy would be appropriate.

son of haggart
20-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I agree, it would nice to pay that era its respects as it slips away though. Everything is so instant and - dare I say it - staged these days. Even a simple announcement at the game and a chance for people to applaud, without making it showy would be appropriate.

I think that is a better idea. The same should happen at Tynecastle for certain Hibs players when they pass away - superstititious enough not to say names but you could probably guess who!