PDA

View Full Version : An Idea??

Littlest Hobo
19-11-2010, 01:09 PM
On a recent trip to New York I noticed they lit up the Empire State Building in Red White and Blue. The tour guide informed us that they were the colours of the NY Yankees, who were victors against their big rivals the NY Mets and that it's a regular thing they do to celebrate the winner.
Got me thinking about our rivalry with Hearts and what we could do that was similar.

Just picture Edinburgh Castle lit up in Green and White for a week after the derby.

It would defo get people asking questions why it was lit up in those colours, who knows it might even attract some tourists to the game??

Your thoughts???

ahibby
19-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Seriously Edinburgh Council and Hearts already share the same colour which is only natural considering that Hearts are the Council's Team that's why they are known as the team of the Establishment. I prefer to think of them as the cooncil's team though. Many will remember the cooncil's buses which were maroon and the SMT transport which was green. With a bit of imagination you could see the maroon buses and green buses compete on the streets representing Hibs and Hearts. Personally I think that Hearts already get enough from the council so no more maroon should be allowed anywhere, green on the other hand .........................

TRC
19-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Sorry but are they not also the colours of the American flag. Or do you know that is the reason they lit it up like that?

Littlest Hobo
19-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Sorry but are they not also the colours of the American flag. Or do you know that is the reason they lit it up like that?

:tsk tsk: Well the tour guide must have been talking pish then :rolleyes:

NYHibby
19-11-2010, 01:47 PM
On a recent trip to New York I noticed they lit up the Empire State Building in Red White and Blue. When I asked the tour guide he informed me that they were the colours of the NY Yankees, who were victors against their big rivals the NY Mets.

If it was red, white and blue, it was not for the Yankees. They use blue and white for the Yankees. Red, white and blue is for American holidays.

You can see the whole list here: http://esbnyc.com/current_events_tower_lights.asp

Part/Time Supporter
19-11-2010, 01:54 PM
:agree:

The only teams with red, white and blue colour scheme in the NY area are the Giants (NFL) and Rangers (NHL).

Methinks the tour guide was a Yankees fan talking pish (nothing new there then).

Littlest Hobo
19-11-2010, 01:57 PM
If it was red, white and blue, it was not for the Yankees. They use blue and white for the Yankees. Red, white and blue is for American holidays.

You can see the whole list here: http://esbnyc.com/current_events_tower_lights.asp

Pretty sure it was Red,White and Blue mate?? Might be wrong though it was a good few months back and I can't remember what happened yesterday usually. :greengrin

Anyhoo, what do you think about the idea???????:

Yep it was blue - white

Littlest Hobo
19-11-2010, 01:59 PM
:agree:

The only teams with red, white and blue colour scheme in the NY area are the Giants (NFL) and Rangers (NHL).

Methinks the tour guide was a Yankees fan talking pish (nothing new there then).

Aye brilliant yer knowledge aboot NY is fandabbydosey, the next time I go I'll be sure tae give ye a phone.

What aboot the idea??

Andy74
19-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Just so the we don't get any more smart arse posters telling us all about NY and their huge knowledge of the place.

Does anyone think this might be a good/bad idea????:grr: :wink::greengrin

Aye, rugby loving (well, for 2 scotland games a year) Edinburgh would love that right enough.

weecounty hibby
19-11-2010, 05:10 PM
That would be great when we won:flag: but think about the flip side. Vomit inducing so best not to take that chance. :sick:

ancienthibby
19-11-2010, 05:22 PM
On a recent trip to New York I noticed they lit up the Empire State Building in Red White and Blue. The tour guide informed us that they were the colours of the NY Yankees, who were victors against their big rivals the NY Mets and that it's a regular thing they do to celebrate the winner.
Got me thinking about our rivalry with Hearts and what we could do that was similar.

Just picture Edinburgh Castle lit up in Green and White for a week after the derby.

It would defo get people asking questions why it was lit up in those colours, who knows it might even attract some tourists to the game??

Your thoughts???

Not the remotest prospect!!

Edinburgh is a HERTZ City, don't ye know!:grr:

I am going to vote for INDEPENDENCE FOR LEITH!!:devil:

Moulin Yarns
19-11-2010, 06:49 PM

beat me to it :grr: I'm heading to the big apple next Saturday. WOOO HOOOOO :hyper:

tamsonsbairn
19-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Seriously Edinburgh Council and Hearts already share the same colour which is only natural considering that Hearts are the Council's Team that's why they are known as the team of the Establishment. I prefer to think of them as the cooncil's team though. Many will remember the cooncil's buses which were maroon and the SMT transport which was green. With a bit of imagination you could see the maroon buses and green buses compete on the streets representing Hibs and Hearts. Personally I think that Hearts already get enough from the council so no more maroon should be allowed anywhere, green on the other hand .........................

The official colours of Edinburgh Council are Black & White. I cant remember why the bus colours are why they are,can anybody tell us why.

hibee_nation
19-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Aye brilliant yer knowledge aboot NY is fandabbydosey, the next time I go I'll be sure tae give ye a phone.

What aboot the idea??

I think the tour guide had a Purple/Purple/ White moment. :greengrin

The Green Man
19-11-2010, 09:34 PM
The official colours of Edinburgh Council are Black & White. I cant remember why the bus colours are why they are,can anybody tell us why.

Maroon and white are the colours for midlothian.

heretoday
19-11-2010, 10:00 PM
The colours of the Yankees tend to be dark blue and white - often in pinstripes.

The Mets have a sort of bluey/orangey colour.

I doubt whether the Empire State Building would be lit up in celebration of victory for either side since the games are played in three, four or five day stretches.

Mets and the Yankees play in seperate leagues anyway so the match-up would occur only in an Inter League fixture.

The point is well made, however, since the Americans would have no compunction about doing such a thing. If the council did something similar here there would be riots.

Littlest Hobo
20-11-2010, 01:13 PM
The colours of the Yankees tend to be dark blue and white - often in pinstripes.

The Mets have a sort of bluey/orangey colour.

I doubt whether the Empire State Building would be lit up in celebration of victory for either side since the games are played in three, four or five day stretches.

Mets and the Yankees play in seperate leagues anyway so the match-up would occur only in an Inter League fixture.

The point is well made, however, since the Americans would have no compunction about doing such a thing. If the council did something similar here there would be riots.

I've found out that they not only light up for this event but for many other events too. These are the dates for the lighting up between Yanks vs Mets.

05/21/2010 - 05/22/2010 North/South sides Yankees colors (Blue/White/Blue); East/West sides Mets colors (Blue/Orange/Blue) Mets and Yankees "Subway Series" lighting

Sammy7nil
20-11-2010, 02:21 PM
The Castle would be Maroon more often than not.

Hibs dont have the stomach for derbies :boo hoo:

In over 40 years of watching them I have very few great memories of derbies
lots and lots of disappointments.

0 - 7
6 - 2
Aside we don't a lot to shout about

ginger_rice
20-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Perhaps we should get the NYC council to light the Empire State Building up in the Jets colours.:flag:

Think it's more likely to be Historic Scotland who would put the kybosh on the Castle being floodlit in Green and White

ginger_rice
20-11-2010, 02:34 PM

0 - 7
6 - 2

remember all those 0-0 derbies in the early 70's what would happen then?

Sammy7nil
20-11-2010, 02:45 PM
remember all those 0-0 derbies in the early 70's what would happen then?

Derbies were grim infact very grim affairs for a long time.

0 - 0 or 1- 0 normally played in the pishing rain with no cover in the stadiums

Jack
21-11-2010, 09:58 AM
The Seattle Seahawks have a huge 12th Man organisation that manage to pull stunts like that on their local landmarks.
I think it would be a good thing if the powers that be recognised both clubs in such a way but only for the like of cup finals.

Littlest Hobo
21-11-2010, 06:20 PM
The Seattle Seahawks have a huge 12th Man organisation that manage to pull stunts like that on their local landmarks.
I think it would be a good thing if the powers that be recognised both clubs in such a way but only for the like of cup finals.

Why:confused: Surely this can only be a good thing, i really can't believe all the negativity concerning this.
Posters more interested in pointing out the colours of NY Yankees and coming out with absolute pish that it doesn't happen, while totally missing the point.:bitchy:
Surely anything that will add a bit of spice to the game should be embraced whole heartedly.

We need to move away from the pie and bovril mentality if football wants to survive in this country.:boo hoo:

Littlest Hobo
21-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Perhaps we should get the NYC council to light the Empire State Building up in the Jets colours.:flag:

Think it's more likely to be Historic Scotland who would put the kybosh on the Castle being floodlit in Green and White

Why:confused:

I attended the military tatoo earlier this year, and was amazed at the standard of projections they put on the castle.

The football clubs in this city are part of Edinburgh, I really don't see a problem?

Littlest Hobo
21-11-2010, 06:26 PM

0 - 7
6 - 2

Well that's fine if they beat us, but surely in time it would swing in roudabouts!

Just ask Harry Redknapp!:wink:

Jack
21-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Why:confused: Surely this can only be a good thing, i really can't believe all the negativity concerning this.
Posters more interested in pointing out the colours of NY Yankees and coming out with absolute pish that it doesn't happen, while totally missing the point.:bitchy:
Surely anything that will add a bit of spice to the game should be embraced whole heartedly.

We need to move away from the pie and bovril mentality if football wants to survive in this country.:boo hoo:

I didn’t think I was being negative, certainly didn’t mean to.

I just think such a thing should be reserved for special occasions otherwise their will lose their ‘fizz’. I don't think it would just be the city’s football clubs that would be having this.

The Castle has already been pink, for a good cause, last year. Folk noticed it because it was a special event.

If there was a line of good causes week in week out the whole idea would just lose the X factor, IMO :greengrin.

Littlest Hobo
21-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I didn’t think I was being negative, certainly didn’t mean to.

I just think such a thing should be reserved for special occasions otherwise their will lose their ‘fizz’. I don't think it would just be the city’s football clubs that would be having this.

The Castle has already been pink, for a good cause, last year. Folk noticed it because it was a special event.

If there was a line of good causes week in week out the whole idea would just lose the X factor, IMO :greengrin.

Or it could become a tradition? Bit like the one o'clock gun?:wink: