PDA

View Full Version : Nish versus Trakys (and all things Nish.)

Jones28
19-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Think maybe Trakys' arrival and current form has signalled the end of Nishy's career at Hibs, sorry to say it.

marinello59
19-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Why?

PeeJay
19-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Think maybe Trakys' arrival and current form has signalled the end of Nishy's career at Hibs, sorry to say it.

Wonder how they would pair up on the park?

Duffys13
19-11-2010, 07:32 AM

Nonsense

joe_hfc
19-11-2010, 07:57 AM

Not really. We not have 3 recognised Strikers instead of 2.

wazoo1875
19-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Wonder how they would pair up on the park?

We'll probably find out next Saturday when Deek is suspended for the Super J's game.

Unless CC goes with one up front at home to one of the supposed pish teams (blushing smiley)

Ell_Chrisso
19-11-2010, 08:55 AM

Il believe this when Trakys starts scoring some goals. And Calderwood brings a couple strikers in. Till then, i think Nish will not be leaving anytime soon.

Nish get's alot of slagging on here, but he does his far share of hardwork more than most in our team. Calderwood will like that.

Now, if only he could stop being offside, and falling on his erse! :cool2:

Dirkster23
19-11-2010, 09:09 AM

Maybe Nish's game will improve if he's not asked to play the target man role? Who knows, it might suit him playing along side Trakys :dunno:

MrSmith
19-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Il believe this when Trakys starts scoring some goals. And Calderwood brings a couple strikers in. Till then, i think Nish will not be leaving anytime soon.

Nish get's alot of slagging on here, but he does his far share of hardwork more than most in our team. Calderwood will like that.

Now, if only he could stop being offside, and falling on his erse! :cool2:

Aye he definitely does do a lot of unseen work. :greengrin

truehibernian
19-11-2010, 09:28 AM
The major flaw in Colin's game as I see it is his lack of vision and remaining onside. Far too often for a striker, he fails to look across the line or play just inside the backline. This for me is unacceptable if it keeps happening. That gets the crowd restless and on his back.

Good footballer but not an intelligent striker. Trakys led the line brilliantly on Saturday and I can't recall him ever straying into an offside position. If Colin were to eradicate this from his game his performances would improve. Sad to say this but it is a sign of either laziness or stupidity for someone to get caught offside so often in the pro game.

Stevie Reid
19-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Maybe Nish's game will improve if he's not asked to play the target man role? Who knows, it might suit him playing along side Trakys :dunno:

It would be interesting to see. Nish definitely is better feeding off knock downs than trying to win them.

soproni1
19-11-2010, 10:14 AM

Excellent point. Nish is definitely better when facing the goal, as opposed to havin bougherra/zaliukas/kenneth/any other big CH kickin and climbin all over him.

SMAXXA
19-11-2010, 10:15 AM
The major flaw in Colin's game as I see it is his lack of vision and remaining onside. Far too often for a striker, he fails to look across the line or play just inside the backline. This for me is unacceptable if it keeps happening. That gets the crowd restless and on his back.

Good footballer but not an intelligent striker. Trakys led the line brilliantly on Saturday and I can't recall him ever straying into an offside position. If Colin were to eradicate this from his game his performances would improve. Sad to say this but it is a sign of either laziness or stupidity for someone to get caught offside so often in the pro game.

I think you forgot to mention also if he got scafolding around his erse to keep him on his feet aswell :greengrin

Seriously it will be interesting to see how he reacts to Trakys or even along side him, could be what he needs to play of someone. Have my doubts tho but fingers crossed he thrives from it

cockneymike
19-11-2010, 11:01 AM

Defo - Nish will score goals alongside Trackys; he's still not a great player, but he'll be far more effective up alongside a big man.

truehibernian
19-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Defo - Nish will score goals alongside Trackys; he's still not a great player, but he'll be far more effective up alongside a big man.

Only if he learns quickly to read the line and hold his position. And track back to get onside when play breaks down.

Derek did really well to anticipate knock downs from Trakys, play off him, and play just on the shoulder of the centre half/full back. That is because he is an intelligent footballer who reads the game better. For me Nish doesn't. I put it down to being slightly lazy.

Do agree however it would be interesting to see how they play together and it may take the pressure of Nish to be the "ball winner" up top.

cockneymike
19-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Only if he learns quickly to read the line and hold his position. And track back to get onside when play breaks down.

Derek did really well to anticipate knock downs from Trakys, play off him, and play just on the shoulder of the centre half/full back. That is because he is an intelligent footballer who reads the game better. For me Nish doesn't. I put it down to being slightly lazy.

Do agree however it would be interesting to see how they play together and it may take the pressure of Nish to be the "ball winner" up top.

All of that is probably true, but remember that his most successful period ever - goalscoring wise - was playing alongside Naismith and Boyd at Killie. One big fat ugly back to goal CF and the other a nippy intelligent player.

I think Nishy more than anyone will be pleased to see Trackys come in and do well. It might limit his starts, but I bet it will improve his success - and as a result his relationship with the fans.

Stevie Reid
19-11-2010, 11:11 AM
The last player that Nish played up front with who had the physical presence to take the back to goal burden from him was Steven Fletcher. For the second half of Mixu's first season it looked like they had the makings of a very good partnership.

lyonhibs
19-11-2010, 11:13 AM

The arrival of a 31 year old with more clubs than Tiger Woods signals the end of Colin Nish's career at Hibs?? :confused:

Trakys has looked good, and I'm no Nish fan (indeed, the polar opposite), but Trakys has started a massive TWO games.

Let's not talk pish - I wasn't aware we had a plethora of strikers to choose from if we just dump Nishy on the scrapheap.

scoopyboy
19-11-2010, 11:37 AM

At this point I would bet they will end their Hibs careers at the same time, namely the end of the season.

I think Colin's time is up although IMO I think we have done alright from his services and doesn't owe us anything.

Trakys has done well in his two starts and here's hoping it continues. However I would have to say he never looks to me as if he will ever score a goal (I'm kinda hoping I'm setting myself up here and someone comes on tomorrow and says "never gonna score eh").

DC_Hibs
19-11-2010, 11:43 AM
The arrival of a 31 year old with more clubs than Tiger Woods signals the end of Colin Nish's career at Hibs?? :confused:

Trakys has looked good, and I'm no Nish fan (indeed, the polar opposite), but Trakys has started a massive TWO games.

Let's not talk pish - I wasn't aware we had a plethora of strikers to choose from if we just dump Nishy on the scrapheap.

Trakys was hopeless before Ibrox. Ian Murray was finished and had lost his pace before Ibrox.
It was too early to judge Colin Calderwood despite three defeats in his first three games but now he is the messiah and next Scotland manager.

Rankin has even been given a reprieve after two games and his 3? previous years are forgotten history.

Please note the above is the current status and is only valid until the next bad result (or two from the more forgiving C)

Comedy central............

--------
19-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Trakys was hopeless before Ibrox. Ian Murray was finished and had lost his pace before Ibrox.
It was too early to judge Colin Calderwood despite three defeats in his first three games but now he is the messiah and next Scotland manager.

Rankin has even been given a reprieve after two games and his 3? previous years are forgotten history.

Please note the above is the current status and is only valid until the next bad result (or two from the more forgiving C)

:agree:

My reading is that CC will give all the players a chance to prove themselves. this season is IMO preparation - he'll keep us up, maybe get us into the top half, maybe even a Europa place - but he'll want to assess everyone properly before deciding who to offer new contracts to, and who to let go.

Colin hasn't played for him yet. I'm absolutely certain that he won't be binned without being given a chance to show what he can do.

And maybe with better coaching and preparation, he'll surprise us all and prove to be a better player than Hughes could make him.

scoopyboy
19-11-2010, 11:55 AM
:agree:

My reading is that CC will give all the players a chance to prove themselves. this season is IMO preparation - he'll keep us up, maybe get us into the top half, maybe even a Europa place - but he'll want to assess everyone properly before deciding who to offer new contracts to, and who to let go.

Colin hasn't played for him yet. I'm absolutely certain that he won't be binned without being given a chance to show what he can do.

And maybe with better coaching and preparation, he'll surprise us all and prove to be a better player than Hughes could make him.

Colin has scored a game for Hibs in every game he has played under CC.

heretoday
19-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I would LOOV it if Nish got a hat trick at the weekend. Not likely I admit but I do feel we haven't seen the best of this guy.

Maybe it's a lost cause.

Keith_M
19-11-2010, 12:10 PM
We currently have 3 strikers, so I can't see any of them going anywhere without replacements being brought in first.

Oh and I'd echo what others have said, Trakys has been impressive in two games so far, let's just wait and see before proclaiming him a genius.

500miles
19-11-2010, 12:32 PM
There will be times when the opposition simply try to pack the midfield. If we have the ability to play with Trakys playing as primary target man, Nish making a nuisance of himself, with Galbraith's pace and Riordan/Duffy taking advantage of any scraps that come thier way, then we give ourselves an inflated chance of winning games where, prior to we have lost. Thats if Trakys can keep up his performance levels of the last two games - although, keep in mind, Motherwell have a small backline.

yekimevol
19-11-2010, 12:48 PM
it aint rocket science trakys is that bug nishy was ment 2be strong phyical and gd in the air collins not been up to the task. so yeh he may find his first team place under sever threat

CapitalHibs
19-11-2010, 01:35 PM
At this point I would bet they will end their Hibs careers at the same time, namely the end of the season.

I think Colin's time is up although IMO I think we have done alright from his services and doesn't owe us anything.

Trakys has done well in his two starts and here's hoping it continues. However I would have to say he never looks to me as if he will ever score a goal (I'm kinda hoping I'm setting myself up here and someone comes on tomorrow and says "never gonna score eh").

Seen this posted a few times!:bitchy:

First half against Motherwell, it was Trakys getting on the end of Ground's low cross into the six yard box and he would have scored, other than the goalie making a foot-save. See HibsTV highlights if you have them (about 4:50 in)

Jones28
19-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Sorry, should have elaborated.

Riordan is IMO much more succesful played in his current role ie as a striker. However, he needs a target man to hold the ball up and to play off. Trakys is much better at this than Colin Nish and with Kurtis Byrne scoring goals for fun he'll most likely get in the team before him too.

Nish has played at Hibs for 3 seasons, and has scored 25 goals in 79 starts (iHibs). As much as I like Nish and wish he was banging in goals for hibs in the same way he did it for Killie, I suspect he will be moved on. January is approching, Calderwood will be getting some sort of funding from the board and will (IMHO) be looking to bring in a striker to back up Riordan and Trakys and maybe move Nish on.

Still nonsense?

Jones28
19-11-2010, 03:10 PM

Thats the kind of support Hibs need!! not :bye:

JimBHibees
19-11-2010, 03:23 PM

First half against Motherwell, it was Trakys getting on the end of Ground's low cross into the six yard box and he would have scored, other than the goalie making a foot-save. See HibsTV highlights if you have them (about 4:50 in)

Was that not De Graff? though agree with your general point that he will score goals. His heading ability would IMO suggest if we get some decent crosses in the box it will be a matter of time before he notches. Actually think that having Trakys will help Nish as both could play together as an option as I dont think Nish is a target man, hopefully the new manager will start getting more out of Colin than the previous incumbent.

JimBHibees
19-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Sorry, should have elaborated.

Riordan is IMO much more succesful played in his current role ie as a striker. However, he needs a target man to hold the ball up and to play off. Trakys is much better at this than Colin Nish and with Kurtis Byrne scoring goals for fun he'll most likely get in the team before him too.

Nish has played at Hibs for 3 seasons, and has scored 25 goals in 79 starts (iHibs). As much as I like Nish and wish he was banging in goals for hibs in the same way he did it for Killie, I suspect he will be moved on. January is approching, Calderwood will be getting some sort of funding from the board and will (IMHO) be looking to bring in a striker to back up Riordan and Trakys and maybe move Nish on.

Still nonsense?

Personally think that is a reasonable return. We also have Duffy who hopefully will be back playing soon to increase the options which can only be a good thing.

LincolnshireHib
19-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Trakys' form over last two games has been good. Maybe he's beenfitting from the game time CC has given him but as to whether or not this is the end for Colin Pish's career at Hibs is too early to say. Trakys needs to start to banging them to ensure that plus a signing in January. So far the closest Trakys has come to doubling his total for Hibs were his 'attempts' onto his own post at Ibrox!

JimBHibees
19-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Trakys' form over last two games has been good. Maybe he's beenfitting from the game time CC has given him but as to whether or not this is the end for Colin Pish's career at Hibs is too early to say. Trakys needs to start to banging them to ensure that plus a signing in January. So far the closest Trakys has come to doubling his total for Hibs were his 'attempts' onto his own post at Ibrox!

Any need ?

Bottom line is do we need Trakys to score if his assists and general play are allowing others to score for the team.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-11-2010, 03:48 PM
If Trakys can get his match fitness up to scratch, I can't see Nish getting much more of a look in. Nothing against CN, but I don't see how CC can coach him on how to stay planted on your feet. Also the fact that we should think that a forward without the nous to stay on side, should be anywhere near our first team escapes me. That's like playing a keeper that can't catch, hoping that he will pick it up as he goes along, cos deep down, he is a real good guy, and that is what really matters.

Hibee Daz
19-11-2010, 03:56 PM
If Trakys can get his match fitness up to scratch, I can't see Nish getting much more of a look in. Nothing against CN, but I don't see how CC can coach him on how to stay planted on your feet. Also the fact that we should think that a forward without the nous to stay on side, should be anywhere near our first team escapes me. That's like playing a keeper that can't catch, hoping that he will pick it up as he goes along, cos deep down, he is a real good guy, and that is what really matters.

:agree: 100%

scoopyboy
19-11-2010, 04:05 PM

At the game and on ALBA I thought it was De Graaf that got on the end of Grounds ball into the box.

Irrespective I hope I'm wrong and he does go on to score plenty.

blackpoolhibs
19-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Thats the kind of support Hibs need!! not :bye:

Whoosh. :faf::faf:

CapitalHibs
19-11-2010, 06:14 PM
At the game and on ALBA I thought it was De Graaf that got on the end of Grounds ball into the box.

Irrespective I hope I'm wrong and he does go on to score plenty.

Yep... they both went for it, so it was pretty difficult to see who got the touch... but HibsTV called De Graaf first and then changed it to Trakys immediately... so I'll go with them:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
19-11-2010, 06:57 PM

In some ways a very beautiful post DC, but you can't expect anything less from a football fans site. Indeed, the very reason we get absorbed in all this, is simply because it is wonderful nonsense and gives us license to talk, biased, unbalanced, knee-jerk s****, while creating pantomime heroes and villians on a whim.

Anything else would be a big disappointment.

Jones28
19-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Whoosh. :faf::faf:

Sorry, not very good at reading into non-existent sarcasm :cool2:

blackpoolhibs
19-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Sorry, not very good at reading into non-existent sarcasm :cool2:

To be fair he hid it well. :tee hee:

AFKA5814_Hibs
19-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Trayks has been superb in the past couple of games and is more of a target man for Hibs than Nish will ever be. Having said that, Nish has scored 62 SPL goals, so he obviously has something to offer us. :wink:

In our current prediciment I think we need both in our squad, though Trayks probably deserves the start tomorrow if the choice is playing one or the other.

Saorsa
20-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Think maybe Trakys' arrival and current form has signalled the end of Nishy's career at Hibs, sorry to say it.hope so

Sammy7nil
20-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Nish v Trakys

Nish falls over :cool2: no contest

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2010, 03:36 PM
I have no idea at all just how good or bad Trakys is? After all he's only played two full games. Nish on the otherhand has played plenty, and imho has never been any good. He's an average player in a poor side. Why anyone want to keep him is beyond me?

pacorosssco
20-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I have no idea at all just how good or bad Trakys is? After all he's only played two full games. Nish on the otherhand has played plenty, and imho has never been any good. He's an average player in a poor side. Why anyone want to keep him is beyond me?

agreed nish has had his chance and is franklt woeful . his goal scoring record is not bad for a forward but not great. should be moved on

matty_f
20-11-2010, 03:53 PM

This.:agree:

steviehfc
20-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Think maybe Trakys' arrival and current form has signalled the end of Nishy's career at Hibs, sorry to say it.Why are you sorry? Nish is a total waste of a wage, the sooner he is gone the better. I would have Trakys over Nish any day of the week, to be honest i would have a one legged blind man over Nish...he would still be more mobile, get caught offside less and spend less time on his arse.

lucky
20-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Nish was poor today again. Trackis can hold the ball up a lot better.

Last Minute
20-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Nish is S***e

Get rid in jan:grr:

Robinho08
20-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Big Nish is tenth in the SPL's all time top scorers. :greengrin

truehibernian
20-11-2010, 05:51 PM

Think of where he could be if he 1) was strong enough to stay on his feet 2) didn't foul needlessly and 3) stayed onside throughout the game.

Colin has had his time and will not be offered a new deal. That's my assessment anyway. There are younger, hungrier, better players out there to fill his boots. Today one scored a hat-trick against us.

sesoim
20-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Nish will definitely leave Hibs next year. CC will already have his wages (and a few others) noted and put aside for new signings.

RickyS
20-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Think of where he could be if he 1) was strong enough to stay on his feet 2) didn't foul needlessly and 3) stayed onside throughout the game.

Colin has had his time and will not be offered a new deal. That's my assessment anyway. There are younger, hungrier, better players out there to fill his boots. Today one scored a hat-trick against us.

my thoughts exactly mate, I reckon he would get in a St Mirren, St Johnstone or sheep team but other than that I don't think he would get into the first 11

jackhfc
20-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Nish is S***e

Get rid in jan:grr:

:top marks:agree:

500miles
20-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Nish is not a target man, he is a striker. Whether he should do more with his 6'3" frame is another discussion entirely, but he is a striker being asked to play back to goal, as the focus for every ball forward, regardless of how loose, high, or hopeful.

Now he can do a bit of it, but I wouldn't have him doing it for 90 minutes every week. Just like I wouldn't be too worried with Wotherspoon at right back for a half, or a game or so, but he tends to get a bit found out in that role if he's left exposed there for too long.

Trakys is a target man. His game seems to be all about back to goal.
Nish is a makeshift target man, but the season he spent most time facing goal at Killie was the same season he scored 14 goals for them. When he was getting support from Fletcher as well, it freed him up to play a more natural game, and it looked like they had a good understanding during his first season.

Get Nish facing goal, with another player who will shoulder some of the physical responsibilities, and he'll perform better, it's as simple as that. If Trakys' games against Rangers and Motherwell are indicative of his quality, then HE is the main man up front, and any player next to him - Riordan, Nish or even most likely Duffy, will get goals.

If Riordan is getting bullied out of the game, then Nish comes in. If Nish is struggling to break into the box, then get Riordan doesn't need to be in the box to get goals. Hell, if their fullback is having a horror show, get Riordan to left mid to take advantage of the space, and have Nish and Trakys up front.

Too many people are fixated on what is wrong with our players. I've got news - they are all flawed. Trakys doesn't seem to be a goalscorer, Nish isn't a target man, and Riordan is feeble. Liam Miller can be over elaborate, John Rankin isn't technically outstanding, Ian Murray can struggle for pace and be rash, De Graaf has struggled in front of goal....etc...etc... I hope the manager assesses them with what they are best at, and how he can get the most out of them, as opposed to the fans, who just want to make pantomime villains out of them.

archiebald
20-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Two words BIG DEAL

Sammy7nil
20-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Nish is not a target man, he is a striker. Whether he should do more with his 6'3" frame is another discussion entirely, but he is a striker being asked to play back to goal, as the focus for every ball forward, regardless of how loose, high, or hopeful.

Now he can do a bit of it, but I wouldn't have him doing it for 90 minutes every week. Just like I wouldn't be too worried with Wotherspoon at right back for a half, or a game or so, but he tends to get a bit found out in that role if he's left exposed there for too long.

Nish is a makeshift target man, but the season he spent most time facing goal at Killie was the same season he scored 14 goals for them. When he was getting support from Fletcher as well, it freed him up to play a more natural game, and it looked like they had a good understanding during his first season.

Get Nish facing goal, with another player who will shoulder some of the physical responsibilities, and he'll perform better, it's as simple as that. If Trakys' games against Rangers and Motherwell are indicative of his quality, then HE is the main man up front, and any player next to him - Riordan, Nish or even most likely Duffy, will get goals.

If Riordan is getting bullied out of the game, then Nish comes in. If Nish is struggling to break into the box, then get Riordan doesn't need to be in the box to get goals. Hell, if their fullback is having a horror show, get Riordan to left mid to take advantage of the space, and have Nish and Trakys up front.

Too many people are fixated on what is wrong with our players. I've got news - they are all flawed. Trakys doesn't seem to be a goalscorer, Nish isn't a target man, and Riordan is feeble. Liam Miller can be over elaborate, John Rankin isn't technically outstanding, Ian Murray can struggle for pace and be rash, De Graaf has struggled in front of goal....etc...etc... I hope the manager assesses them with what they are best at, and how he can get the most out of them, as opposed to the fans, who just want to make pantomime villains out of them.

I agree about Nish not being a target man.
If we all accept that is true then there is no room for him at ER other than on the bench, he wont ever replace Riordan and we do not have the players to play a 4-3-3 so Nish should not start many if indeed any games.

Big Frank
20-11-2010, 09:26 PM

Did you see him today? He was completely and utterly hopeless:scarf:

Riordan squared a ball into the box, and nish had already fallen on his arse before the ball had even arrived! He's comedy gold:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2010, 09:29 PM

Riordan squared a ball into the box, and nish had already fallen on his arse before the ball had even arrived! He's comedy gold:thumbsup:

Yes, but he's not a target man. :wink:

marinello59
20-11-2010, 09:30 PM

Did you notice how many players slipped today on that surface today? Only one got abuse from his own fans for it.

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Did you notice how many players slipped today on that surface today? Only one got abuse from his own fans for it.

Whats his excuse every other week?

500miles
20-11-2010, 09:33 PM

Sadly, I wasn't there because I was taking a laddies football team. However, what i did catch on the radio was he put the ball in nicely for Riordan to stick his head on it, but Derek bottled out of it - like he usually does when there is a man within 2 yard of him. In fact, the comment on the radio was that, if it was the other way around, it was far more likely to have been a goal. What were your thoughts on that incident? Having a good giggle at Riordan pulling out when a goal would have been crucial, instead of incidental at 2-0 down with 10 men? (which very much sounded like he simply finished of the good work of the much maligned John Rankin)

marinello59
20-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Whats his excuse every other week?

Not the point. He was singled out for abuse today. I am pretty sure he wasn't part of the defence that lost four goals yet he is still getting the blame for our defeat. (Ironic given that Riordan was being serenaded for being 'one of our own'.) Nish was poor in the second half, he wasn't the only one though. The abuse both here and at the game today is totally unfair.

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Not the point. He was singled out for abuse today. I am pretty sure he wasn't part of the defence that lost four goals yet he is still getting the blame for our defeat. (Ironic given that Riordan was being serenaded for being 'one of our own'.) Nish was poor in the second half, he wasn't the only one though. The abuse both here and at the game today is totally unfair.

I agree, no player should take stick from their own fans during a game. In fact the last couple of home games have seen a huge improvement on this, and they have actually helped us come from behind with their backing.

Sammy7nil
20-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Sadly, I wasn't there because I was taking a laddies football team. However, what i did catch on the radio was he put the ball in nicely for Riordan to stick his head on it, but Derek bottled out of it - like he usually does when there is a man within 2 yard of him. In fact, the comment on the radio was that, if it was the other way around, it was far more likely to have been a goal. What were your thoughts on that incident? Having a good giggle at Riordan pulling out when a goal would have been crucial, instead of incidental at 2-0 down with 10 men? (which very much sounded like he simply finished of the good work of the much maligned John Rankin)

Not really sure what your point is there. A 5"10 11st man pulls out of an arial battle with a far bigger man. I 6"3 14st man was far more likely to have won that battle. Shock Horror.

However the smaller man scores lots of goals, is an excellent striker of a dead ball, sets up far more goals for his colleagues and is a FAR better player and goal scorer than the bigger man?

There is NO comparrision between Nish and Deeks

500miles
20-11-2010, 09:42 PM
I agree, no player should take stick from their own fans during a game. In fact the last couple of home games have seen a huge improvement on this, and they have actually helped us come from behind with their backing.

There are players in the team that get accused of performing well once every ten games, and they get slaughtered for it. If only the Hibs fans were that good.

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2010, 09:43 PM
There are players in the team that get accused of performing well once every ten games, and they get slaughtered for it. If only the Hibs fans were that good.

:agree::boo hoo:

Bonnyrigg H.F.C
20-11-2010, 10:04 PM

Haha that's it let's turn it on to Deek. He bottles it, doesn't do this or that. The man is one goal away from 100 for hibs. Nish had the job of holding the ball up today. He got bullied, pushed about, was never a goal threat. I can excuse the goal threat cos to be fair the service was rubbish but he had the same
job as Trakys did last week and he just proved he isn't up to it.

500miles
20-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Not really sure what your point is there. A 5"10 11st man pulls out of an arial battle with a far bigger man. I 6"3 14st man was far more likely to have won that battle. Shock Horror.

However the smaller man scores lots of goals, is an excellent striker of a dead ball, sets up far more goals for his colleagues and is a FAR better player and goal scorer than the bigger man?

There is NO comparrision between Nish and Deeks

The point was Derek Riordan was favourite to get to that ball first. The defender could have been 7ft tall - it sounded as if it had caught him off balance. Riordan was favourite for that ball, so he should have went for it.

Derek Riordan is an underachiever. That is why he has been left out at every level above Hibs, and why he will never do better, despite being prolific for us. Colin Nish has no mythology to protect him. He also has a history for making appearances in the top 10 assists charts - despite never being the corner or set piece taker.

However, you're right, Colin Nish isn't as good a player as Derek Riordan. I have NEVER said that Derek Riordan isn't a more talented player than Colin Nish. What I have said, however, is that Derek Riordan is not always the answer. Colin Nish get's a hard time for going down too easily, but Riordan would have gone down too.......well, he would have if he hadn't surrendered and ran away.

There are times when Colin Nish is more useful. When the wide men are getting balls into the box, and we're looking for someone to get into good positions, Colin Nish is a better man to get involved. If Derek Riordan was so astronomically better than Nish, he wouldn't have spent his short career at a step up with splinters in his arse.

Play Nish the right way, and he'll get you goals, and no one has to do all his hard work for him. Play Riordan any way and you'll get goals, but he makes things very easy for the opposition when they have the ball.

Nish will possibly leave Hibs. But then he'll go back to Killie, play for Mixu, with big Connor Sammon next to him, and they'll both score goals - not goals like Riordan scores, but goals. It's a stick on.

To summerise my feelings on the issue: We have players, all of whom are flawed. Nish, is awkward looking, and doesn't make the most of his physique. Therefore, when he is the man the manager wants to play, then he must be played in the right way - facing goal, and in and around the box.

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2010, 10:19 PM
The point was Derek Riordan was favourite to get to that ball first. The defender could have been 7ft tall - it sounded as if it had caught him off balance. Riordan was favourite for that ball, so he should have went for it.

Derek Riordan is an underachiever. That is why he has been left out at every level above Hibs, and why he will never do better, despite being prolific for us. Colin Nish has no mythology to protect him. He also has a history for making appearances in the top 10 assists charts - despite never being the corner or set piece taker.

However, you're right, Colin Nish isn't as good a player as Derek Riordan. I have NEVER said that Derek Riordan isn't a more talented player than Colin Nish. What I have said, however, is that Derek Riordan is not always the answer. Colin Nish get's a hard time for going down too easily, but Riordan would have gone down too.......well, he would have if he hadn't surrendered and ran away.

There are times when Colin Nish is more useful. When the wide men are getting balls into the box, and we're looking for someone to get into good positions, Colin Nish is a better man to get involved. If Derek Riordan was so astronomically better than Nish, he wouldn't have spent his short career at a step up with splinters in his arse.

Play Nish the right way, and he'll get you goals, and no one has to do all his hard work for him. Play Riordan any way and you'll get goals, but he makes things very easy for the opposition when they have the ball.

Nish will possibly leave Hibs. But then he'll go back to Killie, play for Mixu, with big Connor Sammon next to him, and they'll both score goals - not goals like Riordan scores, but goals. It's a stick on.

To summerise my feelings on the issue: We have players, all of whom are flawed. Nish, is awkward looking, and doesn't make the most of his physique. Therefore, when he is the man the manager wants to play, then he must be played in the right way - facing goal, and in and around the box.

:agree: In the stiffs.

Sammy7nil
20-11-2010, 10:22 PM

I did not see it and the commentator did not know his a*** from his elbow today so I will reserve judgement.

Nish will score goals so will Kevin Kyle so will Colin Sammon dont try to compare any of them with Derek.

Derek was described by Strachan as "the most gifted and natural finisher he had seen" His record of goals to starts at Celtic is good so the only reason he had splinters is wee googs did not want to play him.

Derek can have fans off there feet in an instant he is an entertainer he DOES things others dont even think about.

I agree Derek will look back and think I could have done so much more when he sees Burke Adam O'Connor and others playing in England when he was far better and far more effective than them all.

Every team has a player that is a wee bit lazy and does not dive in to tackles I think deeks is ours and we can only afford one of them.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO COMPARRISON between him and Nish and it is silly to even suggest there may be. Derek is a Football Player Nish gets paid to be a footballer.

Big Frank
20-11-2010, 10:55 PM
500 miles is argueing a point he heard in the radio. Nish was utterly hopeless. No question. buts lets turn it on its head and argue about derek riordan. Coudnae make it up! Then you've had a pop at the Hibs fans! FFS!

Marinello - yes/no answer . Was Nish's performance any good today? That was a 2 out of 10 IMO.

We could go on about the defence on another thread. They were dross to a man.

RickyS
20-11-2010, 11:34 PM

was he facing goal? or was he playing with his back to it?:greengrin

hibee4life1983
20-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Nish is probably the worst 'target' man my eyes have ever seen at a profesional football club. 1. He cant jump. 2. He cant head the ball. 3. He has no ballance. 4. He has no strength. 5. He cant pass(even the straightforward kind) 6. He cant or wont shoot. 7. He has no postional sense or does not listen to the managers want of him (ive seen yogi shout at him ''what the **** are you playing at'' at least ten times) 8. His name sounds almost exactly how i would describe him. 9. The number he will hopefully be vacating in the summer. 10. Trakys is better.

Badge
21-11-2010, 07:03 AM
500 miles is argueing a point he heard in the radio. Nish was utterly hopeless. No question. buts lets turn it on its head and argue about derek riordan. Coudnae make it up! Then you've had a pop at the Hibs fans! FFS!

Marinello - yes/no answer . Was Nish's performance any good today? That was a 2 out of 10 IMO.

We could go on about the defence on another thread. They were dross to a man.
Nish was dreadful. Can't remember anything he contributed throughout the whole game. No way does he deserve 2 out of 10.
Grounds was shocking as well. For me it was a very very poor performance. Galbraith showed a wee bit when he came on, at least he tried to run at defenders and won the penalty but apart from that we were poor.

scoopyboy
21-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Nish was dreadful. Can't remember anything he contributed throughout the whole game. No way does he deserve 2 out of 10.
Grounds was shocking as well. For me it was a very very poor performance. Galbraith showed a wee bit when he came on, at least he tried to run at defenders and won the penalty but apart from that we were poor.

Who actually won the penalty?

Some reports say Galbraith, others Nish.

HibbyKeith
21-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Who actually won the penalty?

Some reports say Galbraith, others Nish.

Danny Galbraith won it, broke into the box and was brought down by Ross Tokely.

Baldy Foghorn
21-11-2010, 10:05 AM

Did you miss his lay off to Rankin in second half which should have resulted in shot on goal before we lost the third?:confused:

Or his lay off to DR in first half...... :confused:

He slipped for Riordans pass across front on goals and was totally lambasted, what a silly man Nish is for losing his footing............:confused:

Baldy Foghorn
21-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Haha that's it let's turn it on to Deek. He bottles it, doesn't do this or that. The man is one goal away from 100 for hibs. Nish had the job of holding the ball up today. He got bullied, pushed about, was never a goal threat. I can excuse the goal threat cos to be fair the service was rubbish but he had the same
job as Trakys did last week and he just proved he isn't up to it.

Apart from his well taken goal what else did DR do yesterday?

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 10:14 AM

I have not seen the game, but yet again in a nish bashing contest you bring Riordan into it? Apart from scoring again, something Nish fails to do regularly, i'd imagine thats all Derek did differently. Oh he probably stayed on his feet more too, although i cant say for sure. Riordan wants a shake imho, WTF was he doing passing the ball to Nish anyway?

matty_f
21-11-2010, 10:18 AM

Please don't go down the route of highlighting flaws in deek as some sort of justification for nish. It's a pish poor argument, especially when folk were using the fact that nish got the 2 goals that beat united at the end of last as the counter to the ' he is pish' comments.

If nish's goals got him of the hook with some people, them deeks must almost be untouchable by the same reasoning.

moggie
21-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Im more inclined to ask the question why was Nish on the park before Trakys ??

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Im more inclined to ask the question why was Nish on the park??

There, thats better.

scoopyboy
21-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Danny Galbraith won it, broke into the box and was brought down by Ross Tokely.

Thanks for that.

Both the BBC website and Scotland on Sunday stated it was Nish.

F*** me, if reporters can't tell the difference between Danny Galbraith and Colin Nish its time they looked for alternative employment.

Baldy Foghorn
21-11-2010, 12:09 PM
I have not seen the game, but yet again in a nish bashing contest you bring Riordan into it? Apart from scoring again, something Nish fails to do regularly, i'd imagine thats all Derek did differently. Oh he probably stayed on his feet more too, although i cant say for sure. Riordan wants a shake imho, WTF was he doing passing the ball to Nish anyway?

Please don't go down the route of highlighting flaws in deek as some sort of justification for nish. It's a pish poor argument, especially when folk were using the fact that nish got the 2 goals that beat united at the end of last as the counter to the ' he is pish' comments.

If nish's goals got him of the hook with some people, them deeks must almost be untouchable by the same reasoning.

Because we played 4-4-2 so we had two up front hence the comparison.....Nish is being compared to Trakys so how can he not be compared to Deek? Oh wait Deek is the messiah.....

What gets to me at the game is if Nish did something wrong, he was told to GTF, but others including Deek, did something wrong it was unluncky:confused:

Baldy Foghorn
21-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Im more inclined to ask the question why was Nish on the park before Trakys ??

Because Trakys was injured...........

Albion Hibs
21-11-2010, 12:29 PM
I will start by addressing the subject of the thread!

Trakys is a far better target man than Nish, mainly because that is what his game is about. I have stated the fact so many times Nish is not a target man, in his career in this league he never has been. We are asking him to do something that is not his strength on the pitch, its like asking Bamba to be a striker or Rankin to be a goalie.

With Riordan out next week hopefully Trakys will be back from injury and we will get to see Nish and Trakys play together, Nish alongside a target man I think will produce results. We will also see how we do without Riordan.

With regard to the Riordan debate, he is a quality player no doubt, what strachan said is irrelevant, as he binned him, which is more of a reflection of what he thought of him. What did Riordan contribute yesterday, got lucky on the back of a defensive error and took his goal well, credit to him for that - other than that, he did nothing.

I will end by saying the abuse Nish takes off some sections of our own fans is nothing short of disgusting, usually the same mugs that give him a harder time rather than riling up the opposition team, or god forbid actually giving some support to our team.

Baldy Foghorn
21-11-2010, 12:33 PM
I will start by addressing the subject of the thread!

Trakys is a far better target man than Nish, mainly because that is what his game is about. I have stated the fact so many times Nish is not a target man, in his career in this league he never has been. We are asking him to do something that is not his strength on the pitch, its like asking Bamba to be a striker or Rankin to be a goalie.

With Riordan out next week hopefully Trakys will be back from injury and we will get to see Nish and Trakys play together, Nish alongside a target man I think will produce results. We will also see how we do without Riordan.

With regard to the Riordan debate, he is a quality player no doubt, what strachan said is irrelevant, as he binned him, which is more of a reflection of what he thought of him. What did Riordan contribute yesterday, got lucky on the back of a defensive error and took his goal well, credit to him for that - other than that, he did nothing.

I will end by saying the abuse Nish takes off some sections of our own fans is nothing short of disgusting, usually the same mugs that give him a harder time rather than riling up the opposition team, or god forbid actually giving some support to our team.

:top marks:top marks

agreed

truehibernian
21-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Colin is not a target man though. In fact, none of his Hibs managers have played him as such.

Mixu had him part of a three pronged attack once Riordan had arrived, Hughes had us playing football on the deck (so much so we never ever seemed to get the ball up to them quickly enough), and CC clearly wants a more direct approach but playing with width and using channels.

Colin is a 6'3 striker, who should be standing up stronger, staying on his feet more, and working a great deal harder at staying onside and linking up play better. Watch him after 60 minutes and tell me just how fit he looks ? At Perth, quite literally, he was hands on hips, breathing heavily at our first corner in the second half (around 50 mins). Even Kris Boyd, a lazier striker you would not meet, busts a gut to get into that box and finish. And he gets in about centre halves. Colin stands off, falls, and spends more time with his hands in the air wanting free kicks instead of getting up and starting again. I said before the game, maybe its an unconscious part of his game, but he is a lazy striker (or physically unfit for this level).

As far as I am concerned, he has had his chance at Hibs, been a decent servant, but needs a fresh start. We also need a pacier, hungrier striker up front who wants to dig in and annoy defenders. The defence yesterday by all accounts were all at sea, but as the saying goes, you also defend from the front. Bet the midfield are delighted when Colin fails to retain simple possession eh ?

Albion Hibs
21-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Colin is not a target man though. In fact, none of his Hibs managers have played him as such.

Mixu had him part of a three pronged attack once Riordan had arrived, Hughes had us playing football on the deck (so much so we never ever seemed to get the ball up to them quickly enough), and CC clearly wants a more direct approach but playing with width and using channels.

Colin is a 6'3 striker, who should be standing up stronger, staying on his feet more, and working a great deal harder at staying onside and linking up play better. Watch him after 60 minutes and tell me just how fit he looks ? At Perth, quite literally, he was hands on hips, breathing heavily at our first corner in the second half (around 50 mins). Even Kris Boyd, a lazier striker you would not meet, busts a gut to get into that box and finish. And he gets in about centre halves. Colin stands off, falls, and spends more time with his hands in the air wanting free kicks instead of getting up and starting again. I said before the game, maybe its an unconscious part of his game, but he is a lazy striker (or physically unfit for this level).

As far as I am concerned, he has had his chance at Hibs, been a decent servant, but needs a fresh start. We also need a pacier, hungrier striker up front who wants to dig in and annoy defenders. The defence yesterday by all accounts were all at sea, but as the saying goes, you also defend from the front. Bet the midfield are delighted when Colin fails to retain simple possession eh ?

Well you will be glad to hear I agree with none of that!

As for the defence being all at sea, maybe for the last 30 mins, prior to that one member of the defence was all at sea and it cost us.

Your last point about holding the ball up kind of backs up what I was saying he is not a target man, he will not hold of 1 or 2 defenders, thats not his game, so I dare say the midfield are not delighted when the see Riordan plodding about and the ball getting hoofed to Nish for the simple reason they know it will be coming straight back to them.

With regards to fitness against Boyd I think it goes without saying that he will do far more running in a game than Boyd.

Toaods
21-11-2010, 01:03 PM
If the club is to improve, Nish (amongst many others) will be either punted or eased out the main line-up.

In his case, he's simply not the type of player that an 'English' coach/manager looks for in a team. He does not have enough other positives to offer to be retained.

Was surprised when we signed him, was surprised he's lasted as long as he has but could never see him being the type that was going to take us on a bit.

Perhaps Dunfermline coming back up into the SPL may be a good option for him.

truehibernian
21-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Every striker, small or otherwise, should be proficient at holding the ball up. Target man or otherwise, so I don't see how it backs up your point.

Riordan is a finisher, with natural skill, and a good reading of the game. Fletcher and Derek were terrific as Steven could see the runs, work the channels, and play the offside trap better. Also got himself into the box more.

Whether you agree or disagree is irrelevant. Colin is now not a good enough striker to be starting for Hibs week in week out IMHO. I would rather see him get a fresh start and go with all our best wishes. But even the most passionate Nish supporter must concede that he is not a player who uses his physical attributes to the best of their ability, and for me his general levels of core fitness seem lacking at the top level now. Again it's all about opinions............you have yours, I have mine, and we differ. That's the beauty of fans' forums.

Albion Hibs
21-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Every striker, small or otherwise, should be proficient at holding the ball up. Target man or otherwise, so I don't see how it backs up your point.

Riordan is a finisher, with natural skill, and a good reading of the game. Fletcher and Derek were terrific as Steven could see the runs, work the channels, and play the offside trap better. Also got himself into the box more.

Whether you agree or disagree is irrelevant. Colin is now not a good enough striker to be starting for Hibs week in week out IMHO. I would rather see him get a fresh start and go with all our best wishes. But even the most passionate Nish supporter must concede that he is not a player who uses his physical attributes to the best of their ability, and for me his general levels of core fitness seem lacking at the top level now. Again it's all about opinions............you have yours, I have mine, and we differ. That's the beauty of fans' forums.

Thats true.

Interesting that you draw the comparison with Boyd, he was of course Nish's strike partner at Kille, someone decent at holding up the ball and the main target man in there team at that time, Nish seemed to produce on a regular basis alongside him.

truehibernian
21-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Thats true.

Interesting that you draw the comparison with Boyd, he was of course Nish's strike partner at Kille, someone decent at holding up the ball and the main target man in there team at that time, Nish seemed to produce on a regular basis alongside him.

My comparison was only to highlight that both players are similar in height and stature physically. Boyd however keeps his feet, gets in about centre halves better, and has the "poachers instinct".

I wouldn't even term Kris Boyd a target man. He isn't. I don't like them term either as it suggests a limited footballer and playing a particular style of football. Having good height and presence should only be another string to your bow as a centre forward. Hold up play is a must. Dare I say one of the finest at it in Scotland in recent years was wee John Robertson. Small, dynamic, used his low centre of gravity well. So you can be 5'7 and still hold a ball up well technically. One of the better ones in recent times, comparing size etc to Colin was John Hartson.

Whatever our disagreements about Colin Nish (Hibs fans in general), I am sure we're all agreed that he gave his all, goes (if he does) with the very best wishes, and he gave good service while at the club (sorry if that already sounds like his Hibs obituary)

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Because we played 4-4-2 so we had two up front hence the comparison.....Nish is being compared to Trakys so how can he not be compared to Deek? Oh wait Deek is the messiah.....

What gets to me at the game is if Nish did something wrong, he was told to GTF, but others including Deek, did something wrong it was unluncky:confused:

:faf: Its like a monty python sketch, what have the romans ever done for us? Lets play your game, lets compare Riordan to Nish. How long do you want me to go back?

Albion Hibs
21-11-2010, 01:42 PM
:faf: Its like a monty python sketch, what have the romans ever done for us? Lets play your game, lets compare Riordan to Nish. How long do you want me to go back?

Why not go back to the dundee utd game when he played the role nish was asked to play yesterday - that would of course be the most valid and comparable situation.

He did not get near any ball played up once, and I mean once. I am sure kenneth may have that as the easiest day ever chapter in any autobio if he ever writes one.

Is that far enough back for a comparison? your thoughts?

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Why not go back to the dundee utd game when he played the role nish was asked to play yesterday - that would of course be the most valid and comparable situation.

He did not get near any balled played up once, and I mean once. I am sure kenneth may have that as the easiest day ever chapter in any autobio he ever writes.

Is that far enough back for a comparison? your thoughts?

I missed that game, only saw the highlights and to be fair never took much notice of them, as it was another defeat. I'm not really interested in comparing players, as they play two different games, and are two different types of player. But if baldy wants to compare them, lets see how their stats compare? We could have goals, Riordan wins i think. Or assists, Riordan again i think.

Where nish might nudge ahead would be offsides, and falling on his arse. To be fair, i dont think Riordan has that in his locker, but with a bit of work, and some decent coaching, Derek could maybe fine tune these attributes?

Albion Hibs
21-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I missed that game, only saw the highlights and to be fair never took much notice of them, as it was another defeat. I'm not really interested in comparing players, as they play two different games, and are two different types of player. But if baldy wants to compare them, lets see how their stats compare? We could have goals, Riordan wins i think. Or assists, Riordan again i think.

Where nish might nudge ahead would be offsides, and falling on his arse. To be fair, i dont think Riordan has that in his locker, but with a bit of work, and some decent coaching, Derek could maybe fine tune these attributes?

So now you dont want to play the comparison game....it was of course you who did suggest doing such a thing?

Nish is getting a hard time for how he performs up front, that has been renewed off the back of yesterday (a game you did not see but crit you are happy to get involved in), you can stage all the comparisons you want, ask Riordan to play the role we ask Nish to play and you will get less than nothing, dont think as he would fall, as he would have to jump to do that, so maybe those attributes are beyond him.

So despite your offer to compare you have now taken back said offer, and for good reason I would think.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 02:05 PM
So now you dont want to play the comparison game....it was of course you who did suggest doing such a thing?

Nish is getting a hard time for how he performs up front, that has been renewed off the back of yesterday (a game you did not see but crit you are happy to get involved in), you can stage all the comparisons you want, ask Riordan to play the role we ask Nish to play and you will get less than nothing, dont think as he would fall, as he would have to jump to do that, so maybe those attributes are beyond him.

So despite your offer to compare you have now taken back said offer, and for good reason I would think.

I'm quite happy to compare, BUT even you can see they are different types of players. And you compared yesterday to the Dundee utd game, where Gary Kenneth apparently had his easiest game of the season. How did Nish play yesterday? Did he bully his centre half? Did he score? Did he contribute anything apart from plugging away?

Dirkster23
21-11-2010, 02:08 PM
My comparison was only to highlight that both players are similar in height and stature physically. Boyd however keeps his feet, gets in about centre halves better, and has the "poachers instinct".

I wouldn't even term Kris Boyd a target man. He isn't. I don't like them term either as it suggests a limited footballer and playing a particular style of football. Having good height and presence should only be another string to your bow as a centre forward. Hold up play is a must. Dare I say one of the finest at it in Scotland in recent years was wee John Robertson. Small, dynamic, used his low centre of gravity well. So you can be 5'7 and still hold a ball up well technically. One of the better ones in recent times, comparing size etc to Colin was John Hartson.

Whatever our disagreements about Colin Nish (Hibs fans in general), I am sure we're all agreed that he gave his all, goes (if he does) with the very best wishes, and he gave good service while at the club (sorry if that already sounds like his Hibs obituary)

I think both Boyd and Hartson would have around a 2 stone advantage over Nish which would help them hold the ball in.

Riordans 5'11, how good is he playing with his back to the goals and holding the ball up?

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I think both Boyd and Hartson would have around a 2 stone advantage over Nish which would help them hold the ball in.

Riordans 5'11, how good is he playing with his back to the goals and holding the ball up?

Riordan and Nish have different strengths and weaknesses. Riordans are the obvious goalscoring and creating chances for others. Nish's are?????????????? Well less obvious.

Albion Hibs
21-11-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm quite happy to compare, BUT even you can see they are different types of players. And you compared yesterday to the Dundee utd game, where Gary Kenneth apparently had his easiest game of the season. How did Nish play yesterday? Did he bully his centre half? Did he score? Did he contribute anything apart from plugging away?

Not really but he did have more of an impact that riordan did at Dundee Utd therefore there is the answer to the comparison you were so keen to draw. What he did do was try, the delivery to him was shocking, but he takes stick because he goes for balls that our other striker yesterday would not even have looked at, alas making him look poor / the responsible one. He did however track back, defend set pieces and try for 90 mins.

You do point out they are "different types of players" and you are correct, neither is a target man or a player that has the ability to hold the ball up in his locker. The majority of hibs fans look at nish and come to the simpleton view that he is 6 foot plus so should be excellent in the air and be able to hold off the entire opposing back 4.

Albion Hibs
21-11-2010, 02:15 PM

Bang on, I ignored the comparison to Hartson as I felt it was so far from the mark. Having met Hartson a couple of times, he is a mountain compared to Nish.

JACK_HFC
21-11-2010, 02:16 PM
http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif
I hope your right mate, i hate the big man he's terrible all he does is fall over. He might play well now and again but thats not good enough.
2 wins without him he comes back then we suffer a 4-2 loss :grr::confused:

Nish gtf! :bye:

truehibernian
21-11-2010, 02:19 PM

Weight doesn't hold the ball up, skill and ability does. The ability to use your body well. Maradonna was 5'6 and around 10 stone............best player in the world I have seen at keeping the ball and using his body to make sure no one got near him. The point I am making is that every striker, Riordan, Nish or otherwise should have the ability to hold the ball up and retain it.

Derek does not play with his back to goals. He plays very much facing the opposition and anticipating knock on's, balls played through, and linking with his fellow striker. His job at present is to score goals. He is holding up his end of the bargain. Yes he could do more, but it's why we have other players around him, to accommodate his goal scoring prowess, and it is prowess, and to work harder to get the ball to him.

That is why I was so impressed with Trakys last week. I agree with scoopyboy that the main concern for Valdas would be that he does not look like he will weigh in with many goals. But he won all his battles, linked up well, and allowed Riordan to get into channels and scoring opportunities. He did the dirty job if you like. Didn't get caught offside that I can remember, stayed on his feet, and I bet Craigan and Reynolds were feeling it after the game. Nish for me doesn't work defenders nor does he bully.

JACK_HFC
21-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Nish must go he is clearly not good enough for hibs, he may be big but that makes no difference as he cant head the ball and he falls over:grr::brickwall

Trakys should take the big mans place or Duffy, when hes back, then hopefully January will be the end of Nish's Hibs careervhttp://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif:bye:
:taxi

:asshole:

Albion Hibs
21-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Weight doesn't hold the ball up, skill and ability does. The ability to use your body well. Maradonna was 5'6 and around 10 stone............best player in the world I have seen at keeping the ball and using his body to make sure no one got near him. The point I am making is that every striker, Riordan, Nish or otherwise should have the ability to hold the ball up and retain it.

Derek does not play with his back to goals. He plays very much facing the opposition and anticipating knock on's, balls played through, and linking with his fellow striker. His job at present is to score goals. He is holding up his end of the bargain. Yes he could do more, but it's why we have other players around him, to accommodate his goal scoring prowess, and it is prowess, and to work harder to get the ball to him.

That is why I was so impressed with Trakys last week. I agree with scoopyboy that the main concern for Valdas would be that he does not look like he will weigh in with many goals. But he won all his battles, linked up well, and allowed Riordan to get into channels and scoring opportunities. He did the dirty job if you like. Didn't get caught offside that I can remember, stayed on his feet, and I bet Craigan and Reynolds were feeling it after the game. Nish for me doesn't work defenders nor does he bully.

Well if Maradona can do it why cant Riordan - he is our Maradona isn’t he?!

The fact you are actually bringing the hand of god to this conversation has just taken it to an embarrassing level - for you.

Either that or we should just go an get ourselves on or two Diegos I am sure they would be all over coming to hibs for a couple of grand a week. What was the buy out clause in Messi's contract again? Only kidding I know we dont play transfer fees.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Not really but he did have more of an impact that riordan did at Dundee Utd therefore there is the answer to the comparison you were so keen to draw. What he did do was try, the delivery to him was shocking, but he takes stick because he goes for balls that our other striker yesterday would not even have looked at, alas making him look poor / the responsible one. He did however track back, defend set pieces and try for 90 mins.

You do point out they are "different types of players" and you are correct, neither is a target man or a player that has the ability to hold the ball up in his locker. The majority of hibs fans look at nish and come to the simpleton view that he is 6 foot plus so should be excellent in the air and be able to hold off the entire opposing back 4.

I was not keen to make a comparison as you say? It was baldy who wanted it, and i agreed, only to show just how stupid the comparison is. Both are completely different players. You say Nish tracked back, i take it Derek didn't? You say Nish defended set pieces, great. Did he do anything at the other end worth noting? You also say he tried for 90 minutes, was he blowing out his arse after 30 as usual, or has that been eradicated from his game over the last couple of weeks he's had off injured?

If he's not there to score goals, hold the ball up well, and create for others, what is he in the side for? As he does none of that well enough. I cant wait until that useless lump of lard has left easter road for the last time.

truehibernian
21-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Well if Maradona can do it why cant Riordan - he is our Maradona isn’t he?!

The fact you are actually bringing the hand of god to this conversation has just taken it to an embarrassing level - for you.

Either that or we should just go an get ourselves on or two Diegos I am sure they would be all over coming to hibs for a couple of grand a week. What was the buy out clause in Messi's contract again? Only kidding I know we dont play transfer fees.

Oh behave and don't take things so literally. Not in a million years am I comparing Maradonna. Jeez :bitchy:

My point is that size, weight, height should not prevent a professional footballer from having ability to hold up the ball, retain possession and pass and move. Whether you are 6'3 as Colin is, or 5'7 as say wee John Robertson was (a Scottish example for you just to keep it on your realistic levels :wink:), you should use your body and create space, work defenders, make it hard for them.

Colin is lazy, and this can be seen in the times he is caught offside.

He is quite a soft striker, loses his footing way to often for me, and very very rarely competes strongly. He is though very much a confidence player, and when chips are down, he is simply awful. Not helped I agree by the attitude of some fans in the stands. When things are on the up, I concede he has his fine moments. Nowhere near often enough and again, for me, he is not a starting XI striker for Hibs.

He plays out of necessity at present. I will lay a wager with you now he will not be at Hibernian next season.

Dirkster23
21-11-2010, 02:36 PM

That is why I was so impressed with Trakys last week. I agree with scoopyboy that the main concern for Valdas would be that he does not look like he will weigh in with many goals. But he won all his battles, linked up well, and allowed Riordan to get into channels and scoring opportunities. He did the dirty job if you like. Didn't get caught offside that I can remember, stayed on his feet, and I bet Craigan and Reynolds were feeling it after thyour e game. Nish for me doesn't work defenders nor does he bully.

But weight does play a massive part when playing in a physical league with your back to the goals.

Maradonna has was 10 stone? what when he was 12 years old:confused:

If you compare Nish and Trakys, your not comparing like for like. Trakys is a big strong lad who plays with his back to the goals and uses his strength to win the ball and play in others. Nish is being asked to try and play that role when it's not his natural game.

Derek only plays facing the goals because managers know it would be a waste of time asking him to play with his back to goals.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 02:40 PM
But weight does play a massive part when playing in a physical league with your back to the goals.

Maradonna has was 10 stone? what when he was 12 years old:confused:

If you compare Nish and Trakys, your not comparing like for like. Trakys is a big strong lad who plays with his back to the goals and uses his strength to win the ball and play in others. Nish is being asked to try and play that role when it's not his natural game.

Derek only plays facing the goals because managers know it would be a waste of time asking him to play with his back to goals.

I keep reading this and really struggle to understand it. He's not very good at running, he's very slow. He's hopeless at heading the ball. Going forward with the ball at his feet, he's average at best. What is his natural game? What is he good at?:confused:

Albion Hibs
21-11-2010, 02:41 PM
I was not keen to make a comparison as you say? It was baldy who wanted it, and i agreed, only to show just how stupid the comparison is. Both are completely different players. You say Nish tracked back, i take it Derek didn't? You say Nish defended set pieces, great. Did he do anything at the other end worth noting? You also say he tried for 90 minutes, was he blowing out his arse after 30 as usual, or has that been eradicated from his game over the last couple of weeks he's had off injured?

If he's not there to score goals, hold the ball up well, and create for others, what is he in the side for? As he does none of that well enough. I cant wait until that useless lump of lard has left easter road for the last time.

If he left what would you complain about?

You offered the comparison between the two players.

He has only played a couple of games for us this season, he has scored, and it will be interesting to see how he gets on playing with Trakys if that is how they line up. Fingers crossed he bags a few and we win.

Albion Hibs
21-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I keep reading this and really struggle to understand it. He's not very good at running, he's very slow. He's hopeless at heading the ball. Going forward with the ball at his feet, he's average at best. What is his natural game? What is he good at?:confused:

Simply put (works best for you) scoring, he has a good record in this league, and scored a decent number of goals for us last season.

Heading the ball, scored a headed goal against aberdeen didnt he? Or did you miss that one.

truehibernian
21-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Simply put (works best for you) scoring, he has a good record in this league, and scored a decent number of goals for us last season.

Heading the ball, scored a headed goal against aberdeen didnt he? Or did you miss that one.

Also, crucially, missed a glorious chance to put us 1-0 up, and missed two headers as well (one at 0-0 and one at 1-0).

Waited until we were 4-0 down to get involved too :wink:

I am with blackpool on this. Nish simply is not good enough. We will agree to disagree and move on.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 02:45 PM
If he left what would you complain about?

You offered the comparison between the two players.

He has only played a couple of games for us this season, he has scored, and it will be interesting to see how he gets on playing with Trakys if that is how they line up. Fingers crossed he bags a few and we win.

I'd complain if the player who replaced him was as bad as he is. Interesting, naw, painfull yes. I hope he never gets the chance to play up front with Trakys or Riordan or even Duffy. My dead hamster would do a better job than him.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 02:49 PM

Straight to the point, works best for me. Go throw sheite at yerself. Made a complete mess of a one on one, very similar to the one they scored. Had 2 easy chances with his head, completely missed the target. Then scored when we were 4 down. Late as usual.

MSK
21-11-2010, 02:49 PM
I'd complain if the player who replaced him was as bad as he is. Interesting, naw, painfull yes. I hope he never gets the chance to play up front with Trakys or Riordan or even Duffy. My dead hamster would do a better job than him.Aye right ...bet it couldnae ..you would never get a strip tae fit it ..:bitchy:

truehibernian
21-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Talking of Duffy, would be good to know what stage he is at. Last I heard it was about 3/4 weeks away. Bit unfair having not seen him play recently but were the lads not raving about him when he arrived and had had a couple of sessions (training, not bevvying :greengrin)

Any updates ?

smurf
21-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Not like for like so IMO a ridiculous comparison to make...

I mean Derek v Trakys...

Nish is no great class act but has a decent SPL record Particulary when any manager knows how best to deploy him.

Hibs managers generally don't.

Dirkster23
21-11-2010, 03:01 PM

He'll score goals if you get him in the box. I'm not saying he's the best finisher in the league, but his record shows he can score goals at SPL level. If we had a bit of pace out wide that could help get balls into the box for the strikers or Zemamma feeding clever balls through from the edge of the box Nish (and our other strikers) would do a lot better.

For the last couple of seasons he's mainly been asked to play as a target man or to play a bit deeper and link midfield and attack. That's more the fault of the manager than Nish.

Wotherspiniesta
21-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Talking of Duffy, would be good to know what stage he is at. Last I heard it was about 3/4 weeks away. Bit unfair having not seen him play recently but were the lads not raving about him when he arrived and had had a couple of sessions (training, not bevvying :greengrin)

Any updates ?

Should be back for the start of December. Can't come soon enough, we could do with some pace up top.

Toaods
21-11-2010, 03:02 PM
I've only seen trakys twice and I thought he was awful. Seems he showed something at the Huns and Motherwell?

correct on both points.

The majority of hibs fans look at nish and come to the simpleton view that he is 6 foot plus so should be excellent in the air and be able to hold off the entire opposing back 4.

I disagree entirely, I think most Hibs fans have seen Colin play for a few seasons now and have enough time spent to establish an honest and fair opinion that even a simpleton can see that for the standards we desire at ER he is below standard. For the record, I don't give a monkeys how many goals he scored for Kilmarnock/Dunfermline and who he partnered.

Albion Hibs
21-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Straight to the point, works best for me. Go throw sheite at yerself. Made a complete mess of a one on one, very similar to the one they scored. Had 2 easy chances with his head, completely missed the target. Then scored when we were 4 down. Late as usual.

Okay will take it as you saw that one.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 03:10 PM
He'll score goals if you get him in the box. I'm not saying he's the best finisher in the league, but his record shows he can score goals at SPL level. If we had a bit of pace out wide that could help get balls into the box for the strikers or Zemamma feeding clever balls through from the edge of the box Nish (and our other strikers) would do a lot better.

For the last couple of seasons he's mainly been asked to play as a target man or to play a bit deeper and link midfield and attack. That's more the fault of the manager than Nish.

Well i have been watching him regularly since he arrived at the club. And i'd agree we do need more pace in the side, and more width, but Nish is not getting any younger, has not improved and doesn't look likely to, he needs to go IMHO, And a better forward than him is needed if we are to score more goals, climb the table and compete every season for a European place.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Okay will take it as you saw that one.

Yip, and saw it again and again on the replays that were shown right after each miss.

Dirkster23
21-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Well i have been watching him regularly since he arrived at the club. And i'd agree we do need more pace in the side, and more width, but Nish is not getting any younger, has not improved and doesn't look likely to, he needs to go IMHO, And a better forward than him is needed if we are to score more goals, climb the table and compete every season for a European place.

I wouldn't have him starting every week, but i think he'd be a decent experienced player to have in our squad.

truehibernian
21-11-2010, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't have him starting every week, but i think he'd be a decent experienced player to have in our squad.

And there lies the problem.

We should have 5 strikers, all good enough to start, all competing for the 2 slots week in week out. I don't buy into this "good to have as a squad player" mentality. We are an SPL club, and should have a squad which can rotate and have players coming in just as good as the ones they replace.

At present we have 1 very good striker, 1 decent when on form but terrible all too often, 1 unknown quantity but showed promise last 2 games, 1 injured and never played, 1 on loan.

I would say CC's decision making process has been made a lot easier when looking at our current attacking options.

Dirkster23
21-11-2010, 03:43 PM

We should have 5 strikers, all good enough to start, all competing for the 2 slots week in week out. I don't buy into this "good to have as a squad player" mentality. We are an SPL club, and should have a squad which can rotate and have players coming in just as good as the ones they replace.

At present we have 1 very good striker, 1 decent when on form but terrible all too often, 1 unknown quantity but showed promise last 2 games, 1 injured and never played, 1 on loan.

I would say CC's decision making process has been made a lot easier when looking at our current attacking options.

And there lies your problem, where does the money from come for that?!?

Presumably on top of your 5 top strikers we'd had 8 top midfielders, 8 top defenders and 2/3 top goalkeepers all fighting for their places in the starting eleven. A great state for any club to have but not one we'll ever have to worry about!

No other team ion the SPL has that luxury, what makes you think Hibs will ever reach that stage?

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 03:48 PM

:agree: Squad players are just another way of saying you are not good enough. If we are to have these squad players, they should be up and coming kids, players with potential to get better and hopefully improve the team over time. At the minute we have these squad players, who are ordinary journeymen, and they are actually filling the bench and the bloody 1st team places. I could go through the names, but we all know who they are. One word for CC, clearout.

truehibernian
21-11-2010, 03:56 PM
And there lies your problem, where does the money from come for that?!?

Presumably on top of your 5 top strikers we'd had 8 top midfielders, 8 top defenders and 2/3 top goalkeepers all fighting for their places in the starting eleven. A great state for any club to have but not one we'll ever have to worry about!

No other team ion the SPL has that luxury, what makes you think Hibs will ever reach that stage?

Using SPL players as my example

Inverness - would you take Hayes and Rooney (I would). Definitely won't be on any more cash than Colin or Trakys.

Dundee Utd - I would hazard a guess that Goodwillie, Sandaza and Daly are on about the same as Colin. Sandaza is away of course, but would you take any of them in your squad ?

Hamilton - have to say the young lad Hasselbaink looke a fine player.

Motherwell - Blackman, Humphreys, Sutton - all decent, on less than Colin I would wager

etc, etc, etc

There are players out there who are affordable, who can do a really good job, if pushed and if in competition with those around them. You don't need to splash the cash. Players are out there, that is when scouting is crucial and getting the right mentality of player.

We need pace up top. We also need width. That is what I will be looking for CC to get in when summer comes around. January I think we will patch things up temporarily.

It's not an argument with your point, its the fact we are not a club that should be using this "squad player" reason for having them around. I would happily reduce the playing staff numbers by 3 or 4 if it meant better quality all round, and using the youth system better.

Baldy Foghorn
21-11-2010, 04:44 PM
I'd complain if the player who replaced him was as bad as he is. Interesting, naw, painfull yes. I hope he never gets the chance to play up front with Trakys or Riordan or even Duffy. My dead hamster would do a better job than him.

My God BH I never thought your posts could get any worse, get a grip you are acting like a bairn in school, my goldfish could do better.....

Baldy Foghorn
21-11-2010, 04:48 PM

Whats the point BH, you never saw yesterday's match, so put a sock in it...........

I was comparing the two to each other yesterday.......

Dirkster23
21-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Using SPL players as my example

Inverness - would you take Hayes and Rooney (I would). Definitely won't be on any more cash than Colin or Trakys.

Dundee Utd - I would hazard a guess that Goodwillie, Sandaza and Daly are on about the same as Colin. Sandaza is away of course, but would you take any of them in your squad ?

Hamilton - have to say the young lad Hasselbaink looke a fine player.

Motherwell - Blackman, Humphreys, Sutton - all decent, on less than Colin I would wager

etc, etc, etc

There are players out there who are affordable, who can do a really good job, if pushed and if in competition with those around them. You don't need to splash the cash. Players are out there, that is when scouting is crucial and getting the right mentality of player.

We need pace up top. We also need width. That is what I will be looking for CC to get in when summer comes around. January I think we will patch things up temporarily.

It's not an argument with your point, its the fact we are not a club that should be using this "squad player" reason for having them around. I would happily reduce the playing staff numbers by 3 or 4 if it meant better quality all round, and using the youth system better.

I'm not getting your point. Yeah all these guys are decent players but your talking about us having 5 of these guys as out first squad strikers. Do you really think we can afford to have Riordan at the top end of our wage structure and another 4 earning say £1,500 per week?

That's just the strikers, with your plan of 2 equal quality players for every position our wage bill would be through the roof.

We'll never be able to afford a squad like you suggest. A decent starting eleven and a squad made up from youngsters and a few experienced players is the best we'll get.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 05:17 PM
My God BH I never thought your posts could get any worse, get a grip you are acting like a bairn in school, my goldfish could do better.....
Aye maye, but not as good as my hamster though.

Whats the point BH, you never saw yesterday's match, so put a sock in it...........

I was comparing the two to each other yesterday.......

Yes you compared Nish to Riordan. One scored again, the other didnt. We could go back further if you like, and compare more games. As for Riordan being the Messiah, who apart from you calls him that?

truehibernian
21-11-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm not getting your point. Yeah all these guys are decent players but your talking about us having 5 of these guys as out first squad strikers. Do you really think we can afford to have Riordan at the top end of our wage structure and another 4 earning say £1,500 per week?

That's just the strikers, with your plan of 2 equal quality players for every position our wage bill would be through the roof.

We'll never be able to afford a squad like you suggest. A decent starting eleven and a squad made up from youngsters and a few experienced players is the best we'll get.

My point is that if we improve our scouting, and if CC has a good eye for a player, we hopefully will have 5 strikers in place in summer, perhaps Riordan, Byrne, Trakys and two others, who offer more, compete for places, and allow CC to mix up play a little. But the other two should have good quality. I am not talking about spending big. Other clubs around us are in the same boat. Sometimes you do uncover a gem, for not that much money.

Neither am I saying we need 8 quality midfielders. Check earlier posts of mine and you will see that I always state we need a balance in midfield. Take Liam for example..........very good player when going forward, creates space for himself well, and good passer. Terrible tackler (to the point of being a wee bit cowardly). So therefore I would like a couple of Ian Murray's, not just one, to balance that out.

I would also like to see CC make a choice of shedding Stevenson or Rankin or both. Lee Currie hasn't even had a sniff and trust me he could fill in at either left mid and left back in necessary.

We also lack (chronically so) a creative midfielder in the absence of Zemmama.

Levein (pains me to say it) plundered the lower leagues well. If you go and watch Dunfermline for example, I bet you would come away thinking Willie Gibson was a real player. Watch Falkirk and tell me you wouldn't want a hungry Ryan Flynn. Watch Raith Rovers and tell me you wouldn't want a couple of their players. And that is just in Scotland. Leagues One and Two in England have some cracking players who would cost less than Rankin say, but offer more.

Don't equate quality to money all the time. Bauben and Gomis, for me, in the SPL, are quality players. I think Dundee Utd got them very cheaply. Two players looking for a wee chance at the top level, and have now earned a good reputation.

That is the way Hibs should be going IMHO. We are a stepping stone to another level too, so we are an attractive proposition to young, hungry footballers wanting to progress.

And you can also then factor in Lee Currie, Sean Welsh, Callum Booth and Kurtis Byrne, who again IMO are ready for first team introduction. All at a fraction of the cost (if we retain them) of Thicot, Rankin, Stevenson and McBride. Totally agree with you about experience and that is a little harder to find and more costly. We definitely need some leaders in the side with a good track record.

hibsbollah
21-11-2010, 05:23 PM
pantomime villain

Thats exactly how i think of Big Colin most of the time:agree:

Dirkster23
21-11-2010, 05:41 PM
My point is that if we improve our scouting, and if CC has a good eye for a player, we hopefully will have 5 strikers in place in summer, perhaps Riordan, Byrne, Trakys and two others, who offer more, compete for places, and allow CC to mix up play a little. But the other two should have good quality. I am not talking about spending big. Other clubs around us are in the same boat. Sometimes you do uncover a gem, for not that much money.

Neither am I saying we need 8 quality midfielders. Check earlier posts of mine and you will see that I always state we need a balance in midfield. Take Liam for example..........very good player when going forward, creates space for himself well, and good passer. Terrible tackler (to the point of being a wee bit cowardly). So therefore I would like a couple of Ian Murray's, not just one, to balance that out.

I would also like to see CC make a choice of shedding Stevenson or Rankin or both. Lee Currie hasn't even had a sniff and trust me he could fill in at either left mid and left back in necessary.

We also lack (chronically so) a creative midfielder in the absence of Zemmama.

Levein (pains me to say it) plundered the lower leagues well. If you go and watch Dunfermline for example, I bet you would come away thinking Willie Gibson was a real player. Watch Falkirk and tell me you wouldn't want a hungry Ryan Flynn. Watch Raith Rovers and tell me you wouldn't want a couple of their players. And that is just in Scotland. Leagues One and Two in England have some cracking players who would cost less than Rankin say, but offer more.

Don't equate quality to money all the time. Bauben and Gomis, for me, in the SPL, are quality players. I think Dundee Utd got them very cheaply. Two players looking for a wee chance at the top level, and have now earned a good reputation.

That is the way Hibs should be going IMHO. We are a stepping stone to another level too, so we are an attractive proposition to young, hungry footballers wanting to progress.

And you can also then factor in Lee Currie, Sean Welsh, Callum Booth and Kurtis Byrne, who again IMO are ready for first team introduction. All at a fraction of the cost (if we retain them) of Thicot, Rankin, Stevenson and McBride. Totally agree with you about experience and that is a little harder to find and more costly. We definitely need some leaders in the side with a good track record.

I know what your getting at but i don't think it's a simple as you make out.

Of course there are good players out there, but teams will be looking for transfer fees and players will be looking for an increase in their wages if they're moving up a league or two.

I'm not so sure about the U 19's, managers haven't played them for a reason and whilst some are doing alright in the lower leagues there's none of them setting the heather on fire.

It's a real chance for CC to mould the squad the way he wants it in the summer and tbh i've every confidence he'll get it right. I just think we're sometimes a bit to quick to write players off when they could do a job for us as a squad player. I don't agree that saying someone's a squad player means they're no good though. Having a guy like Nish as a 4/5th choice striker wouldn't be a bad thing imho.

Dirkster23
21-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Thats exactly how i think of Big Colin most of the time:agree:

but to be fair, you think Stevenson's a player:greengrin

hibsbollah
21-11-2010, 05:48 PM
but to be fair, you think Srevenson's a player:greengrin

Naw, I think Srevenson's a typo:greengrin

Dirkster23
21-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Naw, I think Srevenson's a typo:greengrin

What? it clearly says Stevenson:greengrin

matty_f
21-11-2010, 05:58 PM
correct on both points.

I disagree entirely, I think most Hibs fans have seen Colin play for a few seasons now and have enough time spent to establish an honest and fair opinion that even a simpleton can see that for the standards we desire at ER he is below standard. For the record, I don't give a monkeys how many goals he scored for Kilmarnock/Dunfermline and who he partnered.

Spot on.

I'll be honest and say that I was never really that thrilled at the prospect of Nish coming to the club. In fact, if you'd have told me in 2007 that we'd be going into 2011 having punted Benji in favour of Nish, I'd have laughed at the idea.

I genuinely don't know what Nish's strengths are. His passing is not good enough, he can't stay onside, he doesn't win a good enough percentage of high balls, his second touch is a tackle, his shooting is only good infrequently, he isn't quick...

He isn't an impressive goalscorer. It's a myth that he was a good scorer at his previous clubs, he's maybe had one or two high(ish) scoring seasons in his career, but that's it. He's in the top 10 SPL scorers because he's been kicking about the SPL for so long.

At a game, I'm right behind him, but it's clear to everyone that if Hibs want to improve, then we have to look for a better option up front than Nish.

Edit - I'm not convinced he tries as much as is being made out either, I've lost count of the number of times I've sat at a game and seen him attack a cross half-ersed, and thinking to myself that a player who really wanted it would have got on the end of the cross.

hibsbollah
21-11-2010, 06:02 PM
cough cough Last edited by Dirkster23; Today at 06:52 PM :cool2:

I would keep Stevenson, as it happens. Although he's not developed as well as we'd all hoped under a series of poor managers. If you have the energy to plough through my post history to show where I thought he was the new Mr. Stanton, go for it:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Spot on.

I'll be honest and say that I was never really that thrilled at the prospect of Nish coming to the club. In fact, if you'd have told me in 2007 that we'd be going into 2011 having punted Benji in favour of Nish, I'd have laughed at the idea.

I genuinely don't know what Nish's strengths are. His passing is not good enough, he can't stay onside, he doesn't win a good enough percentage of high balls, his second touch is a tackle, his shooting is only good infrequently, he isn't quick...

He isn't an impressive goalscorer. It's a myth that he was a good scorer at his previous clubs, he's maybe had one or two high(ish) scoring seasons in his career, but that's it. He's in the top 10 SPL scorers because he's been kicking about the SPL for so long.

At a game, I'm right behind him, but it's clear to everyone that if Hibs want to improve, then we have to look for a better option up front than Nish.

Edit - I'm not convinced he tries as much as is being made out either, I've lost count of the number of times I've sat at a game and seen him attack a cross half-ersed, and thinking to myself that a player who really wanted it would have got on the end of the cross.

Nail hit firmly on head. :top marks

Saorsa
21-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Spot on.

Edit - I'm not convinced he tries as much as is being made out either, I've lost count of the number of times I've sat at a game and seen him attack a cross half-ersed, and thinking to myself that a player who really wanted it would have got on the end of the cross.http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/Hammering_in.gif

Albion Hibs
21-11-2010, 06:40 PM
:agree: Squad players are just another way of saying you are not good enough. If we are to have these squad players, they should be up and coming kids, players with potential to get better and hopefully improve the team over time. At the minute we have these squad players, who are ordinary journeymen, and they are actually filling the bench and the bloody 1st team places. I could go through the names, but we all know who they are. One word for CC, clearout.

Classic, the clearout chat has started again.

Good enough when we are taking points from Ibrox and beating Motherwell but loose and.....get rid of them, the lot of them a new squad, a new manager, they all get paid miles more than any player other than the other side and the OF, lets get in 15 new players and have another 15 on reserve for the summer so we can change the squad again.

GET A GRIP.

I did however, notice that you were awfully quiet when we were winning, gutted no doubt as you had nothing to slag and shout about. Coincidence - I think not.

Dirkster23
21-11-2010, 06:49 PM

I would keep Stevenson, as it happens. Although he's not developed as well as we'd all hoped under a series of poor managers. If you have the energy to plough through my post history to show where I thought he was the new Mr. Stanton, go for it:thumbsup:

I clearly edited my post and was only having a joke, hence the:greengrin

I've never said you had Stevenson down as the next Pat Stanton. He's not a player i'd keep at ER, but then again i'd keep Nish.

Shrekko
21-11-2010, 07:39 PM

Maybe 'big Colin' hasn't developed under a series of poor managers... or is it only little Lewis who gets to hide behind that excuse?

No, the truth is that a good player is a good player and will shine whatever the circumstances. Stevenson's a poor player.

Average to poor players however are a fact of life for an SPL club and how highly they are rated all depends on whether their face fits amongst fans and that seems to depend on a variety of reasons. Thats why YOU would keep a player who's had about 3 decent games in almost 100 and get rid of a guy who's in the top 10 SPL scorers.

Nish is a perfectly acceptable 3rd or 4th striker for an SPL team- he has a proven track record of being able to do a decent job. Of course the football guru's amongst the Hibs support know better.

Bonnyrigg H.F.C
21-11-2010, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=Albion Hibs;2643304][FONT=Tahoma][FONT=Verdana]Classic, the clearout chat has started again.Good enough when we are taking points from Ibrox and beating Motherwell but loose and.....get rid of them, the lot of them a new squad, a new manager, they all get paid miles more than any player other than the other side and the OF, lets get in 15 new players and have another 15 on reserve for the summer so we can change the squad again.

GET A GRIP.

I did however, notice that you were awfully quiet when we were winning, gutted no doubt as you had nothing to slag and shout about. Coincidence - I think not.

So I take it you would be happy to keep the same bunch of
under achievers? Those two results were good but it made it a grand total of 4 wins in 14 this season. 15 if you include the cis and 17 including Europe. It's the perfect opportunity to get rid of the deadwood with them out of contract.

davidw
21-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Does Colin Nish have compromising photographs of Rod Petrie? Or possibly Tom Farmer? Or both?

This is a serious question. Because there are no other likely explanations when you look at all the evidence i.e.:

He was first rumoured to be signing when Collins was in charge - even though he's clearly not very good.

I distinctly remember continued speculation in the press about him signing even after Collins had left and before Paatelainen was appointed - even though he's clearly not very good.

Paatelainen was then appointed and signed him - even though he's clearly not very good.

Paatelainen played him - even though he's clearly not very good.

John Hughes then came in, and played him - even though he's clearly not very good.

He missed the 2 games before yesterday through injury, and we won. Having recovered from injury, CC immediately restored him to the line-up - even though he's clearly not very good.

So what does he have? If it's not footballing ability, is it photographs of RP engaged in unseemly behaviour?

And if this post is removed, you'll know I'm onto something. And you heard it here first.

But if anyone has a better answer, do let me know.

Saorsa
21-11-2010, 08:33 PM
so you dinnae think he's very good then :greengrin

I agree :agree:

sahib
21-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Does Colin Nish have compromising photographs of Rod Petrie? Or possibly Tom Farmer? Or both?

This is a serious question. Because there are no other likely explanations when you look at all the evidence i.e.:

He was first rumoured to be signing when Collins was in charge - even though he's clearly not very good.

I distinctly remember continued speculation in the press about him signing even after Collins had left and before Paatelainen was appointed - even though he's clearly not very good.

Paatelainen was then appointed and signed him - even though he's clearly not very good.

Paatelainen played him - even though he's clearly not very good.

John Hughes then came in, and played him - even though he's clearly not very good.

He missed the 2 games before yesterday through injury, and we won. Having recovered from injury, CC immediately restored him to the line-up - even though he's clearly not very good.

So what does he have? If it's not footballing ability, is it photographs of RP engaged in unseemly behaviour?

And if this post is removed, you'll know I'm onto something. And you heard it here first.

But if anyone has a better answer, do let me know.

Mixu sounded surprisingly underwhelmed about his new signings, Nish and Rankin, at the time iirc.

SouthamptonHibs
21-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Nish what can you say...he done it again yesterday!!

Falls on his backside when any other striker would have scored, yea can't beat that! 2nd half Deek puts a great ball across goal = should be a goal, but nope Nishy missed it...
How will we score and who will score for us next week now that Deeko is out??

We'll need to rely on Rankin and Miller i think

SouthamptonHibs
21-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Your problem is you can't sing loud enough.:greengrin..And I thought Deeks had done his time?:confused:

Deeks is mising for the St J's game if it goes ahead

500miles
21-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Falls on his backside when any other striker would have scored, yea can't beat that! 2nd half Deek puts a great ball across goal = should be a goal, but nope Nishy missed it...

That will be the ball that went BEHIND him aye? Fantastic ball that......

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Classic, the clearout chat has started again.

Good enough when we are taking points from Ibrox and beating Motherwell but loose and.....get rid of them, the lot of them a new squad, a new manager, they all get paid miles more than any player other than the other side and the OF, lets get in 15 new players and have another 15 on reserve for the summer so we can change the squad again.

GET A GRIP.

More crap as usual from you.Most of the players are not good enough, and a 2 game blip did not convince me otherwise. Why would i want to criticise a winning team? As usual normal service has resumed. You are the one going off in a tangent talking bollox about bringing 30 players in. Yer an erse.

silverhibee
21-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Nish what can you say...he done it again yesterday!!

How will we score and who will score for us next week now that Deeko is out??We'll need to rely on Rankin and Miller i think

Hopefully the referee's keep there promise about striking for next weekends fixtures and that will solve the Deek problem of not playing.

Tollhouse Hibee
22-11-2010, 05:30 AM
More crap as usual from you.Most of the players are not good enough, and a 2 game blip did not convince me otherwise. Why would i want to criticise a winning team? As usual normal service has resumed. You are the one going off in a tangent talking bollox about bringing 30 players in. Yer an erse.

agreed.

lets be honest - Nish is the level of player we can afford and expect as a squad player at easter road. if he was a world beating centre forward - he would be playing down south.

lets remember also - deek is not the magnificent all round genius some people on here make him out to be. he is average - perhaps less than average when he cannot even get in a rank rotten scotland squad. FACT!

Big Frank
22-11-2010, 09:04 AM

If you were there you would have noticed he was already on his arse by the time the ball go tto him. Yip its Riordans fault. :faf:

:bye:

SouthamptonHibs
22-11-2010, 09:14 AM

Just watched the highlights again, Deek puts the ball accross the goal which lands on the line of the 6 yard box, by the time it got to Nish he was nearly on his back side at the back post on the line of the six yard box....you can harldy blame the pass and say it went behind him!!!

Colin's timing of his run was all wrong....again!

hail hail

Golden Bear
22-11-2010, 09:18 AM
agreed.

lets be honest - Nish is the level of player we can afford and expect as a squad player at easter road. if he was a world beating centre forward - he would be playing down south.

lets remember also - deek is not the magnificent all round genius some people on here make him out to be. he is average - perhaps less than average when he cannot even get in a rank rotten scotland squad. FACT!

I wonder how much Adam Rooney is getting paid at Caley?

I would hazard a guess that it's not nearly as much as Mr Nish!

RickyS
22-11-2010, 10:03 PM
agreed.

yer talkin utter colin nish - FACT

500miles
22-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Just watched the highlights again, Deek puts the ball accross the goal which lands on the line of the 6 yard box, by the time it got to Nish he was nearly on his back side at the back post on the line of the six yard box....you can harldy blame the pass and say it went behind him!!!

Colin's timing of his run was all wrong....again!

hail hail

A good pass would have been in front of the striker, and therefore, on Nish's right foot. Instead Nish had to try and stop quickly, and readjust. Another comment on this, or maybe the highlights thread, was that a number of players had fallen victim to the unstable surface.

By the time the ball went out of play, it was nearer in line with the 18 yard box than it was with the 6 yard box. It's not as if it was Riordans only poor delivery either - I have no idea what he expected De Graaf to do with his "chance".

Dunbar Hibee
23-11-2010, 12:15 AM
agreed.

:faf: Fiction.

Judas Iscariot
23-11-2010, 12:21 AM
[/B]

yer talkin pish - FACT

Best post on here in some time :agree: