PDA

View Full Version : Scotland v Brazil - France 98

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-11-2010, 09:56 AM
On ESPN Classics now. Completely slipped my mind that CC played in that one!

Keith_M
18-11-2010, 10:22 AM
I remember watching Chic Young in Paris and he wanted to interview some Brazil fans. He approached a couple of guys with what appeared to be Brazil strips, that turned out to be two Hibbys wearing the new away top.

:greengrin

Wembley67
18-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Ahhhhhhh, how did the song go...something along the lines of Collins, Calderwood and Daily, that's all I can remember!

.Sean.
18-11-2010, 11:29 AM
I remember Scotlands France 98 single, can't recall if it was official or not. It was called Skinny Malinky Parles Vou and it was dreadful. I won it from Grant Stott at a summer roadshow.

RoslinInstHibby
18-11-2010, 11:31 AM
I remember Scotlands France 98 single, can't recall if it was official or not. It was called Skinny Malinky Parles Vou and it was dreadful. I won it from Grant Stott at a summer roadshow.

del amitri was the official song "dont come home too soon" just awful:bitchy:

bawheid
18-11-2010, 11:32 AM

Think the official one was the dreadful dirge "Don't Come Home too Soon" by the otherwise decent Del Amitri...

Craig_in_Prague
18-11-2010, 12:01 PM
I watched most of that yesterday afternoon when it was on.

It surprised me how that side actually played some decent football at times, though there was some very good players for us.... Collins, Hendry, Lambert....and CC, Burley, Gallagher etc all decent professionals.

I also thought we were really unlucky to have lost that game.

We were pants in the final group game though losing 3-0 to Morocco? and Leighton had a stinker.

Who was bandy playing with in '98 at club level :confused:

Makaveli
18-11-2010, 12:06 PM
There was another single called "Scotland United" - I remember thinking it was minted at the time. The video... not so much. :greengrin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRgJaSbBvI0

Brummie_Hibs
18-11-2010, 12:12 PM
There was loads of Hibs fans wearing the 'Brazil' Hibs top in Paris those few days, myself included. I was getting loads of people (not Scots) asking why I was wearing a Brazil top - I had to correct them.

I also got quite a bit of abuse from fellow Scots fans for 'wearing club colours' on Scotland trip. At the time I thought that they could just go and funk themselves, but now I agree with it and I think that was the last time I wore a club shirt while following Scotland.

hibee62
18-11-2010, 12:15 PM
I watched most of that yesterday afternoon when it was on.

It surprised me how that side actually played some decent football at times, though there was some very good players for us.... Collins, Hendry, Lambert....and CC, Burley, Gallagher etc all decent professionals.

I also thought we were really unlucky to have lost that game.

We were pants in the final group game though losing 3-0 to Morocco? and Leighton had a stinker.

Who was bandy playing with in '98 at club level :confused:

Think he signed for aberdeen from us in summer 97.

Speedway
18-11-2010, 03:43 PM
On ESPN Classics now. Completely slipped my mind that CC played in that one!

Played? He delivered a tackle on Ronaldo (then the world's greatest player) that's as good as any I've ever seen.

Ronaldo had done him inside and out and was going past him when CC just swivled back and stuck a challenge in. Unbelieveable tackle in terms of technique and timing.

As for World Cup songs, I nominate 1990's 'Say It With Pride' as the greatest criminal record of our time.

son of haggart
18-11-2010, 04:31 PM
I'd forgotten he played too - I think I was too pissed at the time. I have also obliterated the Morocco game in its entirity from my memory. However, for other reasons St Etienne was the the best place on the trip

ronaldo7
18-11-2010, 05:45 PM
We were there.

Stayed in a caravan park:wink: about 40 miles away. It was full of all different nationalities but mostly Scots. We ran two buses down for the game, but we never had any tickets so watched the game in a boozer in Saint Denis(sp)

Great trip:greengrin

son of haggart
18-11-2010, 06:00 PM
We were there.

Stayed in a caravan park:wink: about 40 miles away. It was full of all different nationalities but mostly Scots. We ran two buses down for the game, but we never had any tickets so watched the game in a boozer in Saint Denis(sp)

Great trip:greengrin

One of my mates won two competitions for tickets. Had to reject one in favour of the other. The tickets didn't turn up and the had to draw for 4 tickets between 30 winners - the tickets were won by some English women. My mate missed the game

Unluckiest man in the world

GraniteCityHibs
18-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Ahhhhhhh, how did the song go...something along the lines of Collins, Calderwood and Daily, that's all I can remember!

I can't remember the whole thing but to this day i struggle to hear or say Jackie Mcnamara without going ...ANDJACKIEMCNAMARA! in my head

C I Hibee
18-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Started with, Jimmy Leighton's number one...then right through the whole team by their position number, and sang to doh a dear tune.
Sang it in Bordeaux into the wee small hours :party: