PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper Snobbery

johnrebus
18-11-2010, 08:20 AM
It has rankled with me how people on this board take a very snobbish and patronising attitude as to which newspaper we all do or don't read every day.

'I wouldn't wipe my arse with the Daily Record/Sun/Star' etc. Or, 'The Scotsman is garbage, Tory/Labour/SNP blah blah.........,

Right. Lets find out what we should all be reading.

:eyes:

PS

Please be honest. Don't vote 'Guardian' if you have only glanced at it once in the last five years

Wheat Hound
18-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Voted other as the paper I buy most regularly is the EEN. As for daily papers, I usually buy the sun for the sport or the Scotsman for a more informed read. I don't buy the notion that The Scotsman has deteriorated in recent years. Its still a decent read mostly, apart from when thry let fatty foulkes near it!!!

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2010, 08:44 AM
I have not felt the need to buy any newspaper in years. With the internet now, you get most of what you need through that.

Wembley67
18-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Guardian only because we get it at work, if not the independent.

Personally its not snobbery its just a higher standard of journalism. Want to read about mind numbing soaps buy the sun/star. Want to read about actual interesting well researched and well written articles buy the guardian/independent etc.

Obviously my opinion and it's all down to the individuals but I feel the red tops are dumbing down the nation. Just like most of the guff that gets shown on tv come to think of it.

J-C
18-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Defo the EEN as it's purely dedicated to the 2 teams here, the ****** and the Hun is all about the ugly sisters out west.

johnrebus
18-11-2010, 08:54 AM
I have not felt the need to buy any newspaper in years. With the internet now, you get most of what you need through that.

Read, not buy. Hard copy or online.

:greengrin

Removed
18-11-2010, 08:56 AM

:agree: even page 3 :greengrin

Woody1985
18-11-2010, 09:22 AM
You should change it to a check box poll.

I normally read:

Metro - Morning
EEN - Lunch
Sun - Home
Daily Record - Home
The occasional Star (but not so much as it's 30p now and I only bought it as a comic cos it's full of crap!)

General assortment of other papers if they're in the canteen, Scotsman, Guardian, Mail.

I'll read anything.

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Read, not buy. Hard copy or online.

:greengrin I have most of the british newspapers on my bookmarks, and a few local ones too. I visit most every day, with the Evening news being the most popular i suppose.

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2010, 09:26 AM
:agree: even page 3 :greengrin

You know as well as me mate, if you have the internet, page 3 is well past its sell by date. :wink:

Killiehibbie
18-11-2010, 09:28 AM
I'll have a look at whatever is lying about.

Jack
18-11-2010, 09:29 AM

Me too.

I do think the standard of journalism has decreased significantly over the years and the overall standard of the newspaper industry has also declined.

Investigative journalism is all but restricted to the celebrity industry – I think had this been 25 years ago the Mad One across the city would have had more than a few in depth articles in the Scottish press investigating his background. The biggest 'investigate' is when they get a membership for the private members board on here and the likes of JKB.

Other than that its all just cut a paste from the news releases the media are given by those that release them. Just read the stories about Hibs in the press as an example. They are almost word for word in a dozen papers. You can tell the od bit that each paper maks up themslves, it’s normally the only bit that's different from all the others and full of spelling misteakes.

There's the odd gem out there but its like panning for gold.

smurf
18-11-2010, 09:49 AM
I now very rarely buy Newspapers. If i do it will be the Sun or The Evening News. Easy quick reads.

At the weekend i actually find myself needing a proper Newspaper to read so i read The Scotsman on a Saturday and The Sunday Times on Sunday.

MrSmith
18-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Well done guys, you have just given media houses an ideal free snap poll that would generally cost them thousands...:grr:

--------
18-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Buy? Surely not. Read on the net, yes. Use Internet news servioces, yes. Check out the TV chgannels, yes. But BUY? No way.

And what I read's MY business and no one else's. Apart from saying that I am a regular subscriber to 'Private Eye'....

JimBHibees
18-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Buy the Sunday Herald.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Not sure that making comments about the football coverage in some papers can be considered as being a bit of a media snob. I would implore anyone though, to read the " piece" penned by Mark Hateley in today's Daily Ranger as IMO this is newspaper changed to bog paper by his words. This is self-opinion driven nonsense that should really only appear on a self financed web page or blog. That a national paper would dig deep to publish what is no more than a love letter, that would not be out of place on the problem page, is appalling. What irks me more is that this tripe will be balanced out with more incisive jottings from Murdo McLeod.

.Sean.
18-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Browse the Star, the Sun and Record when at work as they're always kicking about.

surreyhibbie
18-11-2010, 11:03 AM
The only papers I tend to buy are on a Sunday, and basically even that depends on whether Hibs have won or not! Saving a fortune recently...

Of course, that means Scottish papers as the ones down here have no interest in the SPL at all. So it depends on what is available.

During the week it's the Metro and Evening Standard. Both free......

Phil D. Rolls
18-11-2010, 11:13 AM
A few years ago a survey found that, fact for fact, the Sun contained as much information as the likes of the Guardian and the Telegraph. However, the Sun was able to get this information over in a much more concise manner.

I'm not saying the Sun is where I would go for my information, just that it is no less reliable than the broadsheets.

Wembley67
18-11-2010, 11:46 AM
A few years ago a survey found that, fact for fact, the Sun contained as much information as the likes of the Guardian and the Telegraph. However, the Sun was able to get this information over in a much more concise manner.

I'm not saying the Sun is where I would go for my information, just that it is no less reliable than the broadsheets.

For people with the attention span of a goldfish :wink:

PeeJay
18-11-2010, 12:28 PM

Some Sun survey perhaps? :wink:

NYHibby
18-11-2010, 07:30 PM
I've hear that the Sun is the hardest paper to write for since journalists are limited in the words they can use.

GhostofBolivar
19-11-2010, 05:19 AM
I read The Independent, Guardian, Metro, The New York Times (occasionally) and - from time to time - Private Eye.

The BBC news, The Globe and Mail and Al-Jazeera for websites.

Phil D. Rolls
19-11-2010, 07:39 PM
I've hear that the Sun is the hardest paper to write for since journalists are limited in the words they can use.

:agree: Ties in with my earlier point. They are also limited to the number of syllables allowed.

I'd recommend people to compare the same news story in a broadsheet and a tabloid, and judge for themselves how much more information is in the broadsheet.

There is also a difference between American reporting and British reporting. Whereas the Yanks would write:
"Last night I stood and watched as the bodies of the 117 passengers on Pan Am flight 332 were stretchered to the morgue".

A Brit would say: "Dead, that's what the 117 people on Pan Am flight 332 were last night".

I read all this in a library book, btw, and it is the sum total of my knowledge of journalism - other than the fact it sits beside Jute and Jam.

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Anything BUT the Sun :furious:

discman
20-11-2010, 08:36 PM

They say you read the newspaper that reflects back to you the views you hold,thats why I read the Guardian. No football fan should buy the Sun,read it yes,but put money into the coffers of Murdoch,no. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
21-11-2010, 09:47 AM

Right on!

They say you read the newspaper that reflects back to you the views you hold,thats why I read the Guardian. No football fan should buy the Sun,read it yes,but put money into the coffers of Murdoch,no. :greengrin

Thatcher's yer real enemy!