PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Alan Smith

TheGreenMan
17-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Heard a rumour today that Newcastle Utd's Alan Smith played in a closed doors game with us yesterday and is training with us with possibly signing as his tee is oot at Newcastle.

Can any of our 'in the know' guys confirm if this is true or is it a lot of nonsense??

I cant see it happening myself unless they free him and he really wants to play under Calderwood again for a fraction of the wages...but would obviously be delighted if i was to happen :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
17-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Never going to happen. If he played yesterday it was probably CC doing him a favour.

TheGreenMan
17-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Just wondering if anyone has anymore details of the closed doors game and if he was playing or not...I'm not sure why anyone would make it up to be honest so would be interesting if it was true...:agree:

Speedway
17-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Whilst there was both a closed doors game and non-registered player playing for us, it was not in Smith's postion(s)

TheGreenMan
17-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Whilst there was both a closed doors game and non-registered player playing for us, it was not in Smith's postion(s)

Calderwood playing Smith out of position already:grr:

Tricla
17-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Heard a rumour today that Newcastle Utd's Alan Smith played in a closed doors game with us yesterday and is training with us with possibly signing as his tee is oot at Newcastle.

Can any of our 'in the know' guys confirm if this is true or is it a lot of nonsense??

I cant see it happening myself unless they free him and he really wants to play under Calderwood again for a fraction of the wages...but would obviously be delighted if i was to happen :greengrin

:pray:

Ritchie
17-11-2010, 01:41 PM
:faf:

silly season has started early!! :wink:

M11BMO
17-11-2010, 01:43 PM

silly season has started early!! :wink:

:agree: More chance of the Yam's splitting the old firm than this happening.

IFONLY
17-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Just wondering if anyone has anymore details of the closed doors game and if he was playing or not...I'm not sure why anyone would make it up to be honest so would be interesting if it was true...:agree:

How long have you been reading posts on here??????

hughio
17-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Are you sure it wasn't that boy Andy Carrol?
The boy Smith isnt Hibs class.
He's past it.

:rolleyes:

TheGreenMan
17-11-2010, 03:27 PM
[/B]

How long have you been reading posts on here??????

What I meant was - Im not sure why who told me it would make it up.

El Gubbz
17-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Has never scored a league goal for newcastle. Would rather have that o'brien boy

TheMentalHibees
17-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Aye, Alan Smith is signing for Hibs. We're buying him with the money I gave to Petrie after selling the diamonds my arse was lined with.

heretoday
17-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Smudger Smith.

Stevie Reid
17-11-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't think for one second that this is true, but Alan Smith and Liam Miller's careers and career trajectories are not a million miles away from each other.

HibbyAndy
17-11-2010, 03:40 PM
I seen Jose Antonio Reyes on the number 26 coming back from town:agree:

:hmmm:

Bookkeeper
17-11-2010, 03:42 PM
I don't think for one second that this is true, but Alan Smith and Liam Miller's careers and career trajectories are not a million miles away from each other.

:agree: Aye doonwards. Lets stop looking for damaged goods and concentrate on youngsters on the way up. We're a fitba club no a care home for terminal unachievers.

brydekirk
17-11-2010, 03:56 PM

smith can play anywhere infront of defence, so what position was the non registered player playing.

Spudster
17-11-2010, 03:56 PM

Smith in his 30s now and not even he know's his position yet! For a lad that started his career up front you think he would've scored in 75 games for Newcastle.
Never going to happen but if it does, pay as you play deal only please.

StevieC
17-11-2010, 04:30 PM
I would be very surprised if Alan Smith was able to break back into the Newcastle first team.

It might suit both parties (one to reduce wage bill and the other to get regular football) if the contract was terminated come January and this may well have been discussed between the two.

This might have been Alan checking out options ahead of the January window but I suspect nothing more than that.

WindyMiller
17-11-2010, 04:37 PM
smith can play anywhere infront of defence, so what position was the non registered player playing.

Centre-half.:greengrin

MontrealHibs
17-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Would be less surprised if the non registered player was Derek Adams.

.Sean.
17-11-2010, 04:43 PM
More chance of the late, great Gordon Smith returning.

Judas Iscariot
17-11-2010, 04:49 PM

Mark79
17-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Nicky butt?

James70
17-11-2010, 05:12 PM
No thanks, not with his disciplinary record. 2nd most prolific fouler in the league and sent off 7 times in his career so far.

Even if there was anything in this story which I greatly doubt we'd be paying him to sit in the stand for half the season! :greengrin

Markthehibee
17-11-2010, 05:46 PM
I got a text message confirming the same this morning!!

It said that they knew the referee who confirmed that Alan Smith was definatley playing for hibs in a closed doors game yesterday.

Cant see it if im honest, but cant see why my source would lie!

Iain G
17-11-2010, 05:56 PM
I heard that CC was trying to establish an experienced backbone through the middle of the park and that Yogi, Collins and Mixu were those 3 players on trial... :agree:

keep the faith
17-11-2010, 05:57 PM
I got a text message confirming the same this morning!!

It said that they knew the referee who confirmed that Alan Smith was definatley playing for hibs in a closed doors game yesterday.

Cant see it if im honest, but cant see why my source would lie!

Can't see that happening unless Newcastle paid his wages from jan to may. He would then likely to go to another English team. I know Leeds fans who are desperate for him to go back there.

Would be a serious coup if it was true but more likely calderwood helping out with his fitness.

cabbageandribs1875
17-11-2010, 05:59 PM
if he returned to his leeds utd form guid stuff :thumbsup: might even forgive him for being a fan of a certain club in govan :gun: always reminds me of a certain gareth evans.

ScottB
17-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I'd welcome him if true!

Just the sort of player we need, the kind other fans will love to hate and get them / other teams riled up. It's the sort of thing we lack, particularly against the Yams!

Betty Boop
17-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Yes please ! He would be a big hit with the ladies ! :top marks

Bostonhibby
17-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Aye, Alan Smith is signing for Hibs. We're buying him with the money I gave to Petrie after selling the diamonds my arse was lined with.

Its true I tell you, and all because ( I can now exclusively reveal) I found a £43m vase in my loft whilst I was up there killing bats with a tennis racket.

Dunbar Hibee
17-11-2010, 07:25 PM
No chance :hilarious

Bostonhibby
17-11-2010, 07:30 PM
No chance :hilarious

No really, there were bats up there, one of them told me about us signing Alan Smith, and where to find the vase to fund it.:greengrin

The_Horde
17-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Why would CC need to trial Alan Smith?

Rivers Cuomo
17-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Rite lads,

Dont usually do this (out of fear of abuse!) but heard from my mate (who happens to be a member of the playing staff at Hibernian) that Alan Smith was infact training with us but in his own words was "only having a look".

Make of that what you will.

TheGreenMan
17-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Rite lads,

Dont usually do this (out of fear of abuse!) but heard from my mate (who happens to be a member of the playing staff at Hibernian) that Alan Smith was infact training with us but in his own words was "only having a look".

Cheers for this :smug:

All I was wanting was someone to confirm or deny that he played in a closed doors game if anyone ha any info.

I actually stated I cant see it happening either if you read my post. And for anyone who says they wouldnt want him.......:bye:

TheGreenMan
17-11-2010, 08:15 PM
;2640199']Why would CC need to trial Alan Smith?

More a case of Smith trialing Hibs...he will be leaving Newcastle in January and CC has probably offered him a game and bit of training to see if he fancies making Hibs the next move.

PeterboroHibee
17-11-2010, 08:38 PM
More a case of Smith trialing Hibs...he will be leaving Newcastle in January and CC has probably offered him a game and bit of training to see if he fancies making Hibs the next move.

Working with CC is the only reason I can see him wanting to come to Hibs; hes only 30 so still got plenty left to offer, and hes good enough to play at least Championship football (Id imagine some of the smaller Prem teams will even have a look), giving him a pretty good wage.

What a signing it would be for Hibs but not a chance of it happening.

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Nicky Weaver signed for Dundee Utd last season for 6 months or so. Perhaps Smith might do the same, to put himself back in the shop window. :dunno: He's always been a bit of a hot head, and i'd imagine our refs are already sharpening their pencils at the prospect of him playing in Scotland. Cant see it myself.

lyonhibs
17-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Cheers for this :smug:

All I was wanting was someone to confirm or deny that he played in a closed doors game if anyone ha any info.

I actually stated I cant see it happening either if you read my post. And for anyone who says they wouldnt want him.......:bye:

:agree: :agree:

Quite - can't see it happening, but seriously, Alan Smith not being a great signing??

Gies peace, as my Nan used to say

Iggy Pope
17-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Working with CC is the only reason I can see him wanting to come to Hibs; hes only 30 so still got plenty left to offer, and hes good enough to play at least Championship football (Id imagine some of the smaller Prem teams will even have a look), giving him a pretty good wage.

What a signing it would be for Hibs but not a chance of it happening.

If aywhere I'd imagine Leeds would be keen to get him back. Their fans idolised him (maybe badly affected by moving to ManUre, a team they hate more than most) and I'd imagine he would be popular at Elland Road as well as good revenue.

Love the thought of him at ER but it has to be mince.

Cropley10
17-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Stop this. He did NOT play at EM today.

End of.

We had A Trialist at CH.

sixtwo
17-11-2010, 09:40 PM
before this thread started, i got an e-mail from someone telling me Alan Smith was at East mains. Didn't believe it at first but i am now thinking it might be true. The guy that told me knows the guy that was reffing a game at east mains. He never said he was playing tho

MyJo
17-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I remember the same hilarity and "no chance" posts when it was rumoured we were going for Riordan............and Stokes..........and Miller..........and Hart :wink:

Dunbar Hibee
17-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I remember the same hilarity and "no chance" posts when it was rumoured we were going for Riordan............and Stokes..........and Miller..........and Hart :wink:

This won't happen!!

IWasThere2016
17-11-2010, 09:57 PM

End of.

We had A Trialist at CH.

:agree:

Ell_Chrisso
17-11-2010, 10:00 PM

End of.

We had A Trialist at CH.

Yeah, his team-mate.. Stephen Taylor

WestEndHibee
17-11-2010, 10:09 PM

Andy Carroll is apparently being whisked up here from London for a closed doors game tomorrow as well!

But really i reckon it isn't outwith the realms of possibility! Would be an immense signing. one can dream at least

Dashing Bob S
17-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Let's put aside the EPL tinted specs for a second. Smith had a couple of excellent seasons as a committed and classy youngster for his home club Leeds. Since then his career has sadly been blighted by injury but he's spent the best part of last decade achieveing nothing bar creating a comfortable body indentation on the treatment table that would have Chis Killen, Andy Driver and Kevin Thomson gasping with envy.

I'd be concerned if he came to ER.

WindyMiller
17-11-2010, 11:06 PM

We're bound to sign him right enough.:agree:

It is understood that Taylor, whose Newcastle contract expires at the end of this season, rejected a £40,000-per-week, four year deal and was holding out for £65,000-per-week – a situation that prompted the club to put the 24-year-old up for sale

From August when he was transfer-listed.

3pm
17-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Let's put aside the EPL tinted specs for a second. Smith had a couple of excellent seasons as a committed and classy youngster for his home club Leeds. Since then his career has sadly been blighted by injury but he's spent the best part of last decade achieveing nothing bar creating a comfortable body indentation on the treatment table that would have Chis Killen, Andy Driver and Kevin Thomson gasping with envy.

Never scored for Newcastle. Not a bad return for the best part of £15m in fees and wages! Poor man's Christian Nade.

Toaods
17-11-2010, 11:11 PM

might be a tad harsh there, a very good young talent that showed great loyalty to stay with his team when teh pull from far bigger clubs was very stroong.

Eventually he could not say no to a move any one of ous would have taken.

He showed steadyness at top EP level if not improvement and was then struck with a gruesome leg break that many professionals would not have come back from.

Never regained that pre-injury level and although as commmitted to a challenge as ever, he seemed to have lost some of his pace and as such has gone 'backwards'. I highlight that as the club he went to Newcastle were crap and he was one of the leading players as they turned things around as all the better players left the sinking ship. They made it back out of that tough division in the Championship and I recall watching a few games where he was playing the holding midfielder role so teh lack of goals is no true picture.

Yes, MUFC have risen again with some new life and perhaps his time is done there now. I have no doubt he would excel in our league and would be surprised that if he is available, the OF were not both very interested.

Can't see him signing for us at this stage but a 6 month loan deal with CC here must be a distinct possibility.

Iggy Pope
17-11-2010, 11:15 PM
might be a tad harsh there, a very good young talent that showed great loyalty to stay with his team when teh pull from far bigger clubs was very stroong.

Eventually he could not say no to a move any one of ous would have taken.

He showed steadyness at top EP level if not improvement and was then struck with a gruesome leg break that many professionals would not have come back from.

Never regained that pre-injury level and although as commmitted to a challenge as ever, he seemed to have lost some of his pace and as such has gone 'backwards'. I highlight that as the club he went to Newcastle were crap and he was one of the leading players as they turned things around as all the better players left the sinking ship. They made it back out of that tough division in the Championship and I recall watching a few games where he was playing the holding midfielder role so teh lack of goals is no true picture.

Yes, MUFC have risen again with some new life and perhaps his time is done there now. I have no doubt he would excel in our league and would be surprised that if he is available, the OF were not both very interested.

Can't see him signing for us at this stage but a 6 month loan deal with CC here must be a distinct possibility.

Toaods man, yer great but you are having right difficulty here and previously with the word the
:greengrin

DAVE1875
18-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Never going to happen. If he played yesterday it was probably CC doing him a favour.

I would see it more as CC doing Houghton a favour, taking Smith on to play in a closed-doors game to see if it's worth Houghton to keep Smith.

Having said that people are now probably going to ask "Why couldn't Houghton just play him in a closed door game or reserve squad?" Answer: I have no idea :rolleyes:

hfcok
18-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Im sure his girlfriend,or maybe wife now is an edinburgh girl.......coming up here for her ?

GhostofBolivar
18-11-2010, 05:59 AM

Difference is that all those players would have been low earners at the clubs they were at. For them, the cut in wages coming to Hibs wouldn't have hurt them as much as it would Smith.

No way can we afford the sort of money he'll be looking for.

Speedway
18-11-2010, 09:22 AM
More chance of signing Arsenal's Alan Smith.

Craig_in_Prague
18-11-2010, 09:47 AM
More chance of signing Arsenal's Alan Smith.

I weally would agree with you

Just Jimmy
18-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Never scored for Newcastle. Not a bad return for the best part of £15m in fees and wages! Poor man's Christian Nade.

True, but he's played most of his Newcastle career as the holding Midfielder. He was excellent in that role last season for Newcastle. Therefore he'd get a championship team no bother. Most likely Leeds United.

He also scored on his Newcastle United debut in a friendly against Villareal.

green leaves
18-11-2010, 01:39 PM
he's been in the papers often enough speaking of his love for the huns. If he was coming to scotland,youd think ipox would be his destination.

persevere1875
18-11-2010, 02:55 PM

Unnecesewee :wink: Stooping to that wevel is very un Hibs like

Dr Jimmy
18-11-2010, 03:32 PM
True, but he's played most of his Newcastle career as the holding Midfielder. He was excellent in that role last season for Newcastle. Therefore he'd get a championship team no bother. Most likely Leeds United.

He also scored on his Newcastle United debut in a friendly against Villareal.

The Leeds fans I have spoken to hate him with a passion for moving to Man Utd. He has apparently had death threats as well.

Speedway
18-11-2010, 04:39 PM

Agree or agwee?

KeithTheHibby
18-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Newcastle were up playing a bounce game at East Mains, I assume Smith was here for that reason.

Smith has not been training with Hibs.

3pm
18-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Thought he 'supported' Rangers. He may pitch up there. Might return to Elland Road although they took the huff when he signed Man Utd. He won't be here!

Hibs On Tour
18-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Can't see that happening unless Newcastle paid his wages from jan to may. He would then likely to go to another English team. I know Leeds fans who are desperate for him to go back there.

Would be a serious coup if it was true but more likely calderwood helping out with his fitness.

Go figure. The Leeds fans I know despise the lad with a passion for moving to the one club that is unforgiveable in Leeds - Man U - or to give them their local title '****' [no-one from Leeds actually says Man U - they just say '****']. Hard on his old boy as he got pelters too and had to stop drinking in the local he'd been in for 30-40 years when AS left for Old Trafford.

S'pose it might have calmed down a little in the time he's been away from MU but hardly think it would be the 'open arms welcome' you seem to suggest. At best, it wouldn't be like that across the board at ER...

Just Jimmy
19-11-2010, 01:28 PM
The Leeds fans I have spoken to hate him with a passion for moving to Man Utd. He has apparently had death threats as well.

pretty sure they'd get over it. We forgave Ian Murray.

.Sean.
19-11-2010, 02:33 PM
I've spoken to my mate who plays for Hibs he laughed at the suggestion that Smith has been training with us.

frazeHFC
19-11-2010, 02:39 PM
I've spoken to my mate who plays for Hibs he laughed at the suggestion that Smith has been training with us.

Is he in the first team or a younger player? I'd ask who it is but i am guessing you will not release your source :rolleyes:

Hilarious thread though, is he not Newcastle captain aswell, no chance!!!

Dr Jimmy
19-11-2010, 02:50 PM
pretty sure they'd get over it. We forgave Ian Murray.

Ian Murray didn't sign for Hearts a couple of weeks after kissing the badge and crying on the day we got relegated.
Not so sure we would have been so forgiving if that had been the circumstances.

.Sean.
19-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I'll not reveal 'my source' as you put it no, however he does train with the first team daily.

Haymaker
19-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Go figure. The Leeds fans I know despise the lad with a passion for moving to the one club that is unforgiveable in Leeds - Man U - or to give them their local title '****' [no-one from Leeds actually says Man U - they just say '****']. Hard on his old boy as he got pelters too and had to stop drinking in the local he'd been in for 30-40 years when AS left for Old Trafford.

S'pose it might have calmed down a little in the time he's been away from MU but hardly think it would be the 'open arms welcome' you seem to suggest. At best, it wouldn't be like that across the board at ER...

Peter Lorimer came out recently and said they forced him to go to United as they were paying more up front and it was either he went to United and Leeds didnt enter administration then or stay/go to the other clubs and put Leeds out of business.

Sunny1875
19-11-2010, 04:31 PM

End of.

We had A Trialist at CH.

Puyol or John Terry ?

Argylehibby
19-11-2010, 05:07 PM
He wasn't English nor was he Spanish so no, not Terry and Not Puyol. (or Smith)

skipster7
19-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Rite lads,

the unregistered player was from the faroes apparently, and while smith was there he wasn't playing.probably up for a game of golf and popped in to see CC:confused:

Steve-O
20-11-2010, 04:43 AM
I heard that the trialist was Newcastle's former Brazilian ace, Mirindinha :agree: