Good piece in the Scotsman about Potter and his petty immature ways........,

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Tom-English-Levein-is-just.6628672.jp

:top marks

Owain_1987
17-11-2010, 11:45 AM

The Scotsman is a Hippy paper and why do they talk such *****e etc etc Yams really are silly creatures. They say Fletcher as never played for a big club, what like the Hearts who get 400,000 every game. :grr:

Arch Stanton
17-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Any article that full of bald assertions is not a good article IMO - while such comments may be expected on fans forums I'd expect better from a national newspaper (in my defense I only subscribe to it for the crossword).

Scotland doesn't have any proven international strikers that I can see and someone who needs the ball to come nicely to his left foot most certainly doesn't fit the bill.

BryanV
17-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Any article that full of bald assertions is not a good article IMO - while such comments may be expected on fans forums I'd expect better from a national newspaper (in my defense I only subscribe to it for the crossword).

Scotland doesn't have any proven international strikers that I can see and someone who needs the ball to come nicely to his left foot most certainly doesn't fit the bill.

What assertions have you taken issue with? Genuine question, I have been unable to access it. Who would be ahead of him in the pecking order?

johnrebus
17-11-2010, 12:33 PM

So what exactly would you expect a national newspaper to say?

And which national newspaper should we all be reading?

All this ridiculous snobbery regarding whichever newspaper someone reads is a royal pain in the arse to be frank.

:rolleyes:

Arch Stanton
17-11-2010, 12:43 PM
So what exactly would you expect a national newspaper to say?

And which national newspaper should we all be reading?

All this ridiculous snobbery regarding whichever newspaper someone reads is a royal pain in the arse to be frank.

I didn't say I never read it, nor did I say no-one else should, I merely wished it's reporting was better (eg less Tory bias, stuff like that). I fail to see where there was any snobbery, ridiculous or not.

hibsbollah
17-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Its an excellent article.

i dont see any 'bald assertions', just a lot of facts about how many games selected players have played and how that contradicts Leveins statements on the subject. This is the opposite of a bald assertion.

Arch Stanton
17-11-2010, 01:12 PM
What assertions have you taken issue with? Genuine question, I have been unable to access it. Who would be ahead of him in the pecking order?

I could quote the whole article really but a couple of quotes from the first page give you the gist.

"the press and the public have talked-up the players while the national team manager has talked them back down again." - When?

"McLeish's upbeat manner proved infectious. The players responded to it brilliantly." - McLeish was a hugely successful manager then?

He then goes on a big rant trying to 'prove' that Fletcher was left out because of his 'comments' while also saying that "Nobody is saying that Fletcher is the complete answer to Scotland's prayers in front of goal, but he is a very promising player."

Even if he thinks Fletcher is a "very" promising player, last night's game shows that there are a fair few others out there. I would agree that if Fletcher develops further then he will become a useful internationalist - but again that also applies to a fair few others.

BryanV
17-11-2010, 01:28 PM
"the press and the public have talked-up the players while the national team manager has talked them back down again." - When?

"At this minute in time, Steven Fletcher hasn't put in a performance which makes me think I can hang my hat on him."

That sounds to me like a player being talked down.

"McLeish's upbeat manner proved infectious. The players responded to it brilliantly." - McLeish was a hugely successful manager then?

I think in Scotland terms Mcleish was a successful manager and I think a large part of that was down to his man management.

He then goes on a big rant trying to 'prove' that Fletcher was left out because of his 'comments' while also saying that "Nobody is saying that Fletcher is the complete answer to Scotland's prayers in front of goal, but he is a very promising player."Even if he thinks Fletcher is a "very" promising player, last night's game shows that there are a fair few others out there.

What strikers that featured last night would you consider to be as promising as Fletcher?

Levein is a very petty man, his exile of Fletcher is in marked contrast to his waving back in of the offending huns. For the record, although I was astounded that he did not feature, I felt that Steven Fletcher was wrong to speak out so soon.

ScottB
17-11-2010, 01:31 PM
I didn't say I never read it, nor did I say no-one else should, I merely wished it's reporting was better (eg less Tory bias, stuff like that). I fail to see where there was any snobbery, ridiculous or not.

Must have missed that! It's only slightly less pro Labour / Anti SNP than the Record for me!

So is this The Scotsman retreating behind a paywall as well? Can't say I'd be tempted to pay to read it!

Arch Stanton
17-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Levein is a very petty man, his exile of Fletcher is in marked contrast to his waving back in of the offending huns. For the record, although I was astounded that he did not feature, I felt that Steven Fletcher was wrong to speak out so soon.

Oh for pete's sake - Fletcher isn't in exile - he got left out of a friendly against the Faroes!!

And alright, as it happened the promise actually showed up in midfield but giving those players a chance will do Scotland no harm in the future - that's what friendlies are all about.

And, contrary to what people on here think, Levein is far from stupid - if Fletcher is the best available and fits in with the formation he needs then he will get picked.

BryanV
17-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Oh for pete's sake - Fletcher isn't in exile - he got left out of a friendly against the Faroes!!

And alright, as it happened the promise actually showed up in midfield but giving those players a chance will do Scotland no harm in the future - that's what friendlies are all about.

And, contrary to what people on here think, Levein is far from stupid - if Fletcher is the best available and fits in with the formation he needs then he will get picked.

Aye, Levein is not only not stupid, but infallible. He picks the best players for the required formation for any given game, e.g. against the Czech Republic. Fletcher has not featured in the last five games. Sorry about not picking up your point about the midfielders, but I am sure you will agree it was a bit of a non sequiter. No need for the striker Fletcher due to an abundance of promising midfielders....

Mikeystewart
17-11-2010, 02:01 PM
The Scotsman is a Hippy paper and why do they talk such *****e etc etc Yams really are silly creatures. They say Fletcher as never played for a big club, what like the Hearts who get 400,000 every game. :grr:

He hasn't really, unless you count wolves as a big club, what's it got to do with hearts?

Mikeystewart
17-11-2010, 02:09 PM
For some to suggest Levine doesn't pick certain players because of the colour of strip they used to wear is .. well ... I cant think of an adequate superlative of STUPID.

Mikeystewart
17-11-2010, 02:11 PM

BryanV
17-11-2010, 02:28 PM
For some to suggest Levine doesn't pick certain players because of the colour of strip they used to wear is .. well ... I cant think of an adequate superlative of STUPID.

No one on this thread has suggested that. Oh, and there is only one superlative of stupid and that is stupidest.

Mikeystewart
17-11-2010, 03:57 PM
No one on this thread has suggested that. Oh, and there is only one superlative of stupid and that is stupidest.

Sorry didn't mean to say this thread, but others on this site and on the comments page of article. And maybe superlative was the wrong word, I couldn't think of a word to describe how stupid it would be to think that, because stupid seemed too tame, if that makes sense. My English is not so good.

johnrebus
17-11-2010, 04:24 PM

And what about Potter not picking a certain player because of the colour of the strip he wears at the moment?

Ach, well. I guess I'll just have to live with being STUPID........,

:doh:

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-11-2010, 04:26 PM

Well you get club managers that don't pick players based on nothing more than the fact that they don't really fancy them. Especially when a new manager comes in. Well known that at club level, Sir Alf Ramsey had no time for Scottish players...an opinion that was not really founded on sense.

hibsboy90
17-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Anyone able to quote the full article?

Mikeystewart
17-11-2010, 09:52 PM
And what about Potter not picking a certain player because of the colour of the strip he wears at the moment?

Ach, well. I guess I'll just have to live with being STUPID........,

:doh:

Riordan not getting in the Scotland squad has nothing to do with Derek being a hibs fan and Levine being a Jambo. :yawn:

Assuming that's who you where referring to.

Mikeystewart
17-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Well you get club managers that don't pick players based on nothing more than the fact that they don't really fancy them. Especially when a new manager comes in. Well known that at club level, Sir Alf Ramsey had no time for Scottish players...an opinion that was not really founded on sense.

Yes, well 50 years ago you could pass back to the keeper. So I don't think that has anything to do with it. I don't even think its to do with Riordan personally.

I think its because.

-He has had a couple of bench appearances for the international team and he has done, well.. nothing.

-He doesnt hold the ball up,

-He has no pace

-He has little strength and manoeuvrability compared to other players

-He cant win a Header

-He cant tackle.

Though he can however:

-Finish with either foot from short or long range.

-Pick out a pass as well as anyone in the world.

-Put in the odd good cross.

I think the negatives outweigh the positives considering Levine has, miller naismith fletcher mcfadden Goodwillie all in front of him, i would only say kyle cause he's a bully upfront and can win a header, but il probs get hunted down on this forum for suggesting he should be in the team over deek. I dont think there is anything that deek gives that we dont already have in the squad.

johnrebus
17-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Yes, well 50 years ago you could pass back to the keeper. So I don't think that has anything to do with it. I don't even think its to do with Riordan personally.

I think its because.

-He has had a couple of bench appearances for the international team and he has done, well.. nothing.

-He doesnt hold the ball up,

-He has no pace

-He has little strength and manoeuvrability compared to other players

-He cant win a Header

-He cant tackle.

Though he can however:

-Finish with either foot from short or long range.

-Pick out a pass as well as anyone in the world.

-Put in the odd good cross.

I think the negatives outweigh the positives considering Levine has, miller naismith fletcher mcfadden Goodwillie all in front of him, i would only say kyle cause he's a bully upfront and can win a header, but il probs get hunted down on this forum for suggesting he should be in the team over deek. I dont think there is anything that deek gives that we dont already have in the squad.

Sniff, sniff......,

Hmmmmmm.

broonie27
18-11-2010, 12:37 AM
I'm more amazed at the fact so many people have paid subscriptions to the Scotsman that allow them to read the article in the first place.

brog
18-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Levein has made a huge amount of contradictory statements in his brief tenure as Manager. As people have pointed out here Danny Wilson has made 1 appearance for Liverpool only, a home defeat to Northampton! Jamie Mackie, whose attitude I like as a player, has not scored for QPR since he was originally selected for the infamous 4-6-0 game, the curse of Harry Potter!!
I have no problem with HP leaving Fletcher out against the Faroes, I do have a problem with him not even having him on the bench against Czech. For those who decry Fletcher, can they explain why his value doubled in one season in the Premiership & does anyone seriously think an English team would pay £7million for Naismith, Miller, Goodwillie or Kyle :greengrin! I'm amazed at the amount of people who still take time to come on this board & put down one of the finest talents we've produced in the last 20 years.
PS, was KK injured? If not then why did Goodwillie come on rather than him, was KK not an original choice?
PPS 2 words that put HP's opinion of a player into perspective, Gary Kenneth!!

Mikeystewart
18-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Levein has made a huge amount of contradictory statements in his brief tenure as Manager. As people have pointed out here Danny Wilson has made 1 appearance for Liverpool only, a home defeat to Northampton! Jamie Mackie, whose attitude I like as a player, has not scored for QPR since he was originally selected for the infamous 4-6-0 game, the curse of Harry Potter!!
I have no problem with HP leaving Fletcher out against the Faroes, I do have a problem with him not even having him on the bench against Czech. For those who decry Fletcher, can they explain why his value doubled in one season in the Premiership & does anyone seriously think an English team would pay £7million for Naismith, Miller, Goodwillie or Kyle :greengrin! I'm amazed at the amount of people who still take time to come on this board & put down one of the finest talents we've produced in the last 20 years.
PS, was KK injured? If not then why did Goodwillie come on rather than him, was KK not an original choice?
PPS 2 words that put HP's opinion of a player into perspective, Gary Kenneth!!

I beleive naismith could leave rangers for about 3ml to go down south, his value would likely double if he did well depending on the club. I think its a possibility for Naismith and Goodwillie, maybe not miller and kyle:greengrin

Hense why fletcher is valued at 7ml but if he was still at hibs probs only about 4 its not about how good he is, it is about how much he is worth to that club and how much it will take convince that club to let him go. it not all to do with ability

Broken Gnome
18-11-2010, 12:53 PM
I have no problem with HP leaving Fletcher out against the Faroes, I do have a problem with him not even having him on the bench against Czech.

:agree: That's the overriding thing here, regardless of whether any thinks Fletcher is Premiership quality, £7m quality or anything else. I'd even go as far as saying it IS a problem he's not in the squad for the Faroes; if it's not based on disciplinary reasons, then he's in limbo where he's not trusted with competitive games and not given a chance in friendlies. He's never been given the chance to prove himself when he's clearly first in line to Kenny Miller's place. Levein can't say he 'can't hang his hat on him', because he's featured nowhere near enough to deserve that claim. Is Jamie Mackie ahead of him in the queue now on the basis he's been given a chance and scored (against the Faroes from one yard)? If so, it's possibly the most unfair bit of management I've ever known.

Bad Martini
18-11-2010, 01:13 PM
I'd like Levein to give us 2 good reasons, or even 1, why one of Scotlands best, prolific and downright natural goal-scorers is not in the squad, let alone the team. That's before we count his skill with the dead ball (which Robson proved genius with over 2 games, missing freekicks into double figures).

That'll cover Deek's exclusion which is far more criminal than Fletchers' exclusion.

Yammy Potter can ram it. I'll still follow Scotland but he is a bawbag, pure and simple.

That said, I'd possibly have Fletcher in the squad too. I'd certainly have Deek in there tho. :agree:

hughio
18-11-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm more amazed at the fact so many people have paid subscriptions to the Scotsman that allow them to read the article in the first place.

They don't pay.

Its free.

Arch Stanton
18-11-2010, 06:36 PM
They don't pay.

Its free.

It's free to see the first few lines of each page in actual fact. If you're anything like me though that is plenty sufficient.:greengrin

camhibby1
18-11-2010, 06:49 PM
I'd like Levein to give us 2 good reasons, or even 1, why one of Scotlands best, prolific and downright natural goal-scorers is not in the squad, let alone the team. That's before we count his skill with the dead ball (which Robson proved genius with over 2 games, missing freekicks into double figures).

That'll cover Deek's exclusion which is far more criminal than Fletchers' exclusion.

Yammy Potter can ram it. I'll still follow Scotland but he is a bawbag, pure and simple.

That said, I'd possibly have Fletcher in the squad too. I'd certainly have Deek in there tho. :agree:
The simple fact is Levein will not give you a single valid reason. The guy does not see beyond his own prejudices. He's a small minded, petty individual who thinks he is bigger than he is. Why people, including Mikey Stewart, who reminds me of Allbion Hibs (who knows he might be the same person. Albion H has been non existent on this one this time round) can defend this guy is beyond comprehension. I suspect the media have wised up to him not telling the truth about Fletcher & Riordan - certainly Tom English has -and this will come back to show Levein up for what he is - a useless national manager who should never have been appointed in the first place.

PaulSmith
18-11-2010, 09:20 PM
The simple fact is Levein will not give you a single valid reason. The guy does not see beyond his own prejudices. He's a small minded, petty individual who thinks he is bigger than he is. Why people, including Mikey Stewart, who reminds me of Allbion Hibs (who knows he might be the same person. Albion H has been non existent on this one this time round) can defend this guy is beyond comprehension. I suspect the media have wised up to him not telling the truth about Fletcher & Riordan - certainly Tom English has -and this will come back to show Levein up for what he is - a useless national manager who should never have been appointed in the first place.

The 'real' Mikey Stewart wouldn't even acknowledge Levein, hates him with a passion.

Arch Stanton
18-11-2010, 10:11 PM

So when the mighty TE makes such a strong and wordy case for the positively worded McLeish being so superior to the comparatively dour Levein you will take that onboard and back the positively worded John Hughes against the comparatively dour Colin Calderwood?

BurghHibby
19-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I read this article the other day and found it generally very good although he could have gone further and added weight to his assertions by including searching questions about Deke and Gary O'Connor, another who scored last weekend while on loan to Barnsley.

I'm sure Potter still has a bee in his bonnet about being released by Hibs when he was a yougster, apparantly he was devasted at the time.

Another one of the fine decisions made by Bertie Auld!!