PDA

View Full Version : Reserves vs Kilmarnock- Stack

bringbackjoeT!!
16-11-2010, 12:27 PM
According to a very good source, ie himself apparently he is making his comeback from injury today in a reserves match against Kille. Cant see any mention of the game anywhere, anyone have any idea when it starts?? Really good to have Stack back to fitness, he has suffered something terrible with injuries- fingers crossed for the big man.

matty_f
16-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Good news, I don't think I would be dropping brown because he has deserved his place, but to have two keepers at that level competing for a start is great, especially with smith able to come on, too.

Wotherspiniesta
16-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Good news, I don't think I would be dropping brown because he has deserved his place, but to have two keepers at that level competing for a start is great, especially with smith able to come on, too.

Should have been punted after that 6-6 performance. Worst performance from a Hibs keeper ever. And thats saying something.

Dunbar Hibee
16-11-2010, 01:13 PM
I like Stacky but if Brown keeps playing like he hs been there is no chance of place in the starting 11 for him. But as said great to have 2 good goalkeepers:thumbsup:

hibee62
16-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Should have been punted after that 6-6 performance. Worst performance from a Hibs keeper ever. And thats saying something.

Well thats just not true is it! Or have you managed to block THAT semi from your mind...?:wink:

Wotherspiniesta
16-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Well thats just not true is it! Or have you managed to block THAT semi from your mind...?:wink:

It was much worse than that IMO. But thanks for bringing that game up again :grr:

Anyway, back on subject, good to see Stack return. He'll be good back up to Brown :agree:

hibee62
16-11-2010, 02:42 PM
It was much worse than that IMO. But thanks for bringing that game up again :grr:

Anyway, back on subject, good to see Stack return. He'll be good back up to Brown :agree:

Sorry, but I feel Smith gets a bit of a bad break sometimes on here, he was very impressive pre St. Johnstone game. But, yes, I agree its good to see Stack back.

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2010, 02:45 PM
I think Stack is our best keeper, although he is very injury prone. Perhaps its good that he can become our back up. And if he can prove his fitness over a long period, he might get the shirt back.

Ritchie
16-11-2010, 02:47 PM

Overexaggeration-o-rama.

Smith's a good goalie. He proved that at Motherwell.

think his confidence is an issue.

Scouse Hibee
16-11-2010, 02:58 PM
I think Stack is our best keeper, although he is very injury prone. Perhaps its good that he can become our back up. And if he can prove his fitness over a long period, he might get the shirt back.

Everyone entitled to their opinion but I just can't see how you think Stack is better than Brown :confused: The same way as I couldn't see and still can't how people defended Maka. Stack for me is too static in the box at set pieces though there's no doubting he's a good shot stopper. Brown for me is a better all round keeper, but what do I know, I never liked Maka!!

Ritchie
16-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Everyone entitled to their opinion but I just can't see how you think Stack is better than Brown :confused: The same way as I couldn't see and still can't how people defended Maka. Stack for me is too static in the box at set pieces though there's no doubting he's a good shot stopper. Brown for me is a better all round keeper, but what do I know, I never liked Maka!!

i agree, brown would be my number 1 out of the 3 keepers.

dont actually think there is much difference between stack & smith.

silverhibee
16-11-2010, 03:10 PM

I like Stack as a goalkeeper too, but if he is one of the players who's contract runs out at the end of the season i would think Hibs would not offer him a new contract due to his injury problems, wee need a good back up to Brown and he has to be fit for the season and not up in the stand injured all the time.

lucky
16-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Brown is our no.1 stack is an average injury prone player

cam75
16-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I thought Maka was awsome just not ready to be a number 1 yet,Stack as coach player would be a better system him being number 2 and brown on form #1

Wotherspiniesta
16-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Overexaggeration-o-rama.

He's a good shot stopper. His distribution and decision making is horrific though. We've had enough keepers with "confidence issues" and they've all been punted. Smith shouldn't be any different. I'd try swap him and a bit of cash for Cammie Bell if possible.

Golden Bear
16-11-2010, 03:20 PM
I've never known a 'keeper to have so many injuries as Stark. Like it or not, I think he could be heading out of the door at the end of the season.

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2010, 03:21 PM
He's a good shot stopper. His distribution and decision making is horrific though. We've had enough keepers with "confidence issues" and they've all been punted. Smith shouldn't be any different. I'd try swap him and a bit of cash for Cammie Bell if possible.

Id settle for a pair of cami knickers.

truehibernian
16-11-2010, 04:21 PM
I would get rid of Stack and Smith and bid for Cammy Bell (who I think signed a contract with Killie in summer but not sure). Good solid keeper, in the national squad, and worked with and knows Brown very well. Good competition.

Always been impressed with Bell when I have seen him last season and this.

ancienthibby
16-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Aye, aye, aye.

But whit wis the SCORE??:grr:

Wotherspiniesta
16-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Aye, aye, aye.

But whit wis the SCORE??:grr:

1-0 Hibs. :thumbsup:

ancienthibby
16-11-2010, 04:27 PM
1-0 Hibs. :thumbsup:

Thank you, my friend!!

Judas Iscariot
16-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Overexaggeration-o-rama.

Nut, he's pretty darn *****..

Abysmal against the **** last season and up at Dingwall...

Sergey
16-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I like Stack as a goalkeeper too, but if he is one of the players who's contract runs out at the end of the season i would think Hibs would not offer him a new contract due to his injury problems, wee need a good back up to Brown and he has to be fit for the season and not up in the stand injured all the time.

I concur, and he is one who's out of contract at the end of the season.

He was also plagued by injury during his spell at Plymouth and looks like he's a liability. While I don't doubt that Stack is a decent keeper (when fit) I think that his lack of fitness will see him punted.

keep the faith
16-11-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm clearly in the minority but I think smith is a decent keeper. He had a couple of ropey games and has been dismissed out of hand. Better keepers than smith have had a few poor games. I am not saying he should be no 1, but writing him off as useless is mad. A confident smith and brown next season would not worry me at all.

CentreLine
16-11-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm clearly in the minority but I think smith is a decent keeper. He had a couple of ropey games and has been dismissed out of hand. Better keepers than smith have had a few poor games. I am not saying he should be no 1, but writing him off as useless is mad. A confident smith and brown next season would not worry me at all.

:agree: Smith as decent cover for Brown works for me. If Stack had stayed fit he would ahve been ahead of Smith in my opinion but I am certainly happy if he goes at the end of his contract

Cropley10
16-11-2010, 08:02 PM

:agree: I'd like to offer him a contract on a pay as you play basis :wink:

Hibby Bairn
16-11-2010, 08:19 PM
:agree: I'd like to offer him a contract on a pay as you play basis :wink:
Yip. Just use the same contract template for Zemamma.

500miles
16-11-2010, 11:28 PM
:agree: Smith as decent cover for Brown works for me. If Stack had stayed fit he would ahve been ahead of Smith in my opinion but I am certainly happy if he goes at the end of his contract

Smith came into the team just as the 10 players in front of him decided to sit the rest of the season out. He started out with some good performances - with everyone wondering why he was dropped in favour of Stack - and a double whammy of being dropped while playing well, on top of playing behind a defence that was leaking goals clearly took it's toll.

I've seen enough of him during his at Motherwell AND at Hibs to see he is a decent keeper - although I do prefer Mark Brown. Stack is a decent keeper, but static at crosses.

brog
17-11-2010, 08:19 AM
I actually don't rate any of our keepers although obviously Brown has done well in last 2 games. ( I don't think I'd seen Brown make a save before Ibrox! ) A fully fit Stack, able to come & dominate his box would IMO be the best option but as others say I'm not sure he'll ever fully attain the required level of fitness again.
Brown & Smith are typical Scottish keepers, decent shotstoppers but lacking the physical, & in Smith's case mental, ability to dominate their box. Smith's disintegration at Motherwell was awful to watch & I don't think he'll ever fully recover.
We should be looking for a tall, physically strong & experienced keeper & preferably someone who's played at a decent level in England. ( Don't mention Simon Brown!! ). I'm sure CC will recognise this as a key area to strengthen & hopefully his knowledge of the English game will help us here!

matty_f
17-11-2010, 08:41 AM
I actually don't rate any of our keepers although obviously Brown has done well in last 2 games. ( I don't think I'd seen Brown make a save before Ibrox! ) A fully fit Stack, able to come & dominate his box would IMO be the best option but as others say I'm not sure he'll ever fully attain the required level of fitness again.
Brown & Smith are typical Scottish keepers, decent shotstoppers but lacking the physical, & in Smith's case mental, ability to dominate their box. Smith's disintegration at Motherwell was awful to watch & I don't think he'll ever fully recover.
We should be looking for a tall, physically strong & experienced keeper & preferably someone who's played at a decent level in England. ( Don't mention Simon Brown!! ). I'm sure CC will recognise this as a key area to strengthen & hopefully his knowledge of the English game will help us here!

I would actually be very surprised if cc saw the goalkeeper position as anything like a priority. Both brown and stack are more than capable at spl level, while smith its a useful backup.

There are much more pressing areas needing addressed before the keepers.

brydekirk
18-11-2010, 07:21 AM
I've never known a 'keeper to have so many injuries as Stark. Like it or not, I think he could be heading out of the door at the end of the season.

:agree: the man came here with a back problem and its not something thats just going to dissapear, get rid for me.

brog
18-11-2010, 09:59 AM
I would actually be very surprised if cc saw the goalkeeper position as anything like a priority. Both brown and stack are more than capable at spl level, while smith its a useful backup.

I'm sure you're right in that CC will give Brown a chance, especially after last couple of games but to me a reliable & commanding keeper for Hibs has been a priority for about 10 years now. I was at St Pats when Z made his debut & I remember the huge cheer when he came out for the 1st cross, much to the chagrin of SB on the bench. That ray of hope of course didn't last long & none of his successors have inspired confidence, & Smith is IMO a worse keeper than any of Maka, Lofty, SB or Z! Jeez, I started shaking just typing those names! :wink:
Of course I hope Brown develops into a top class player but I genuinely believe a strong & reliable keeper remains our #1 priority.

--------
18-11-2010, 10:14 AM

Tend to agree, matty. It's not as if we can play ALL our goalkeepers in goal at once. :wink:

Brown has looked more than capable recently. Smith needs work on his confidence and link-up with the defence. Stack, as said, is very injury-prone and sadly I think I would be letting him go in June - by that time young Flynn should be knocking on the door as our third-in-line.

I do NOT think CC will go down the Yogi-road of signing every keeper in sight while ignoring urgent needs elsewhere. If he could thin down the number of senior players - move on those surplus to requirements, in other words - and bring through a few youngsters, he might just be able to liberate enough cash to hold on to some of the seniors we MIGHT want to keep - like Sol B, Francis Dickoh, big Trakys, and Liam Miller? Not to mention one Derek Riordan of this parish, the best striker of a ball in the SPL?

brog
21-11-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm afraid after watching yesterday's lowlights I'm more than ever convinced that we need to start rebuilding from the back with a keeper as a priority. Brown's awful slap at the corner for the 2nd goal was horribly reminiscent of Smith at Motherwell. We really need a strong physical presence in goal. Perhaps CC's time at Forest will remind him of how Brian Clough shook football by paying a record transfer fee for Peter Shilton, I really hope so.