PDA

View Full Version : 'Darling' Willie Groves

The Harp
15-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Anyone hear Willie Groves getting a mention in one of the questions on University Challenge this evening? Willie's was the first of several names mentioned, a list which included Alan Shearer. The connection was they were all record fees at the time they were transferred. (According to Wikipedia) Willie was the first ever player to be transferred for a three figure fee when he left WBA for Aston Villa before returning to Hibs in 1895. He died in 1908 at the early age of 38.

Removed
15-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Anyone hear Willie Groves getting a mention in one of the questions on University Challenge this evening? Willie's was the first of several names mentioned, a list which included Alan Shearer. The connection was they were all record fees at the time they were transferred. (According to Wikipedia) Willie was the first ever player to be transferred for a three figure fee when he left WBA for Aston Villa before returning to Hibs in 1895. He died in 1908 at the early age of 38.

:agree: I heard it.

I lived in Bournemouth for a few years and my boss was called Neil Groves and was related to Willie Groves. Neil's daughter, Avril, did join her a few years ago to post on the very man. Can't remember what her logon was though.

Aubenas
15-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Yep, proud to hear him mentioned - but a wee nudge for those on here who seem to think RP invented selling our stars to Celtc!:cool2:

greenlex
15-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Yep, proud to hear him mentioned - but a wee nudge for those on here who seem to think RP invented selling our stars to Celtc!:cool2:
Ayebut he didnae go along the M8 did he ?

WindyMiller
16-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Ayebut he didnae go along the M8 did he ?

Only because it didn't exist.:wink:

IIRC Groves was one of the batch of players Celtic stole to get their club started.