PDA

View Full Version : South Morocco

London Hibee
15-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm in a kasbah in deepest South Morocco in a town called Merzouga near the Erg Chebbi dunes and although there is obviously no evidence that we've played here (because despite the song we haven't) its clear that via our Moroccan connections a lot of locals have heard of us.

Two minutes in to my first conversation with a taxi driver in Casablanca, upon hearing that I was a Hibernian fan, his response was "Benjelloun". Throughout the country everyone seems to be a fan of Raja Casablanca and therefore are keen to discuss Zemmama's Scottish club. In fact Hibernian seem to be better known than Edinburgh. Our guide in Fes asked us if we still lived in Hibernian.

And even here in deepest South Morocco, our driver who lives in a small village in Dades Gorge is another Raja fan and had therefore heard about Hibernian:wink:

Jonnyboy
15-11-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm in a kasbah in deepest South Morocco in a town called Merzouga near the Erg Chebbi dunes and although there is obviously no evidence that we've played here (because despite the song we haven't) its clear that via our Moroccan connections a lot of locals have heard of us.

Two minutes in to my first conversation with a taxi driver in Casablanca, upon hearing that I was a Hibernian fan, his response was "Benjelloun". Throughout the country everyone seems to be a fan of Raja Casablanca and therefore are keen to discuss Zemmama's Scottish club. In fact Hibernian seem to be better known than Edinburgh. Our guide in Fes asked us if we still lived in Hibernian.

And even here in deepest South Morocco, our driver who lives in a small village in Dades Gorge is another Raja fan and had therefore heard about Hibernian:wink:

Great story :top marks

Great pity that Benji didn't stay and fulfill his potential

lucky
15-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Sound more clued up than most of the Scottish media

Dr Jimmy
15-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Couple of years ago I got into a taxi in Denver Colorado and the driver was Morocan. He asked where I was from and upon hearing Scotland he said Benji. I had a good conversation about him and Zemmama and he had heard of Hibernian. They love their football and keep an eye on their players abroad.

Although I had a similar experience in New York with an Algerian talking about Boughera, I tried to tell him he played for a club with no honour from the Scottish slums, but he knew too much. It was worth a shout.:.....:greengrin

monktonharp
15-11-2010, 11:31 PM

And even here in deepest South Morocco, our driver who lives in a small village in Dades Gorge is another Raja fan and had therefore heard about Hibernian:wink:hope you told your guide that you actually lived in Hibernia,right next door to Utopia:greengrin

DH1875
15-11-2010, 11:47 PM

Where is he these days anyway:dunno:.

Part/Time Supporter
15-11-2010, 11:49 PM

Egypt

Removed
15-11-2010, 11:50 PM

Some Egyptian team I think

Frogga
15-11-2010, 11:57 PM
I was in Morocco over Christmas time (Agadir, Essaouira, Marrakech, Imlil, Sidi Fini) and we asked quite a few locals about Benji, Zemmama and Hibs but only got one person who knew what we were talking about and I think he just wanted our spare change. Maybe we were just looking in the wrong neck of the woods.

One man who is well known in Morocco is Chamakh. I got a fake Chamakh shirt and had never heard of him at the time, but the first time I wore it I was treated as some kind of bizarre ginger-Moroccan hero to the extent that I never wore it again while I was there cause it was just crazy!

16-11-2010, 07:33 AM
I've never understood the reference to South Morocco as somewhere Hibs have played. I might be wrong here but I think it got distorted over time and was originally based on the 1950s tour when we

"played in the Maracana and played across the USA".

See extract below from this site http://www.easterroad.com/hibernian/the-famous-five/

The Famous Five

Hibs were one of the most feared teams in Scotland during the reign of The Famous Five, winning a succession of trophies and league titles, as well as amassing many international caps between them. The club’s name was also held in the highest esteem abroad, after a series of successful international tours in the 1950′s and 60s saw them playing to full houses in Canada, South America, the USA and Europe.

Bobby Johnstone and Gordon Smith

Hibs toured Brazil in 1953, drawing 2-2 with the country’s Vasco de Gama in the huge Maracana stadium. The Brazilian side were so impressed with Hibs that they reputedly tried to sign two of The Famous Five – Bobby Johnstone and Gordon Smith.

frazeHFC
16-11-2010, 10:39 AM
When i was in Malta we were at a restaurant and the waiter saw me and my brother in Hibs tops, and his first words to us were "agh you Hibs fans" and when we replied "yes" he said "two Morrocans" to which i said "yes, Zemmama and Benjelloun but Benjelloun has left". He said that he is Morrocan and that he played at Raja Casablanca at the same time as Zemmama did, and that Zemmama was young and near the national team call-up when he was one of the older players. He still keeps in touch with Zouma.

The man is this year starting a youth football development programme in Malta :agree:

SloopJB
16-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Egypt

where is he, not, what is he.

Hibbyradge
16-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Great story :top marks

He did. :wink:

HibeeMcGinn1
16-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Was in Kavos (Corfu) in the summer and in a taxi one night when I must admit I was rather drunk I had a pretty long conversation about Hibs and Hearts with a Greek guy. He started getting into Scottish football when Fysass signed for Hearts and just kept following it since. He doesnt quite get the Scottish game because he likes both us and them doing well :grr: tried telling him not to hope they win but to hope they get hammered but he wasnt having it.

Luna_Asylum
16-11-2010, 08:33 PM
is anyone aware it's a yam song?

marinello59
16-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Only Yams claim that.

JT Fae The Toon
16-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Only Yams claim that.

Here's the lyrics - make your own mind up. :greengrin

Have you heard of the Heart of Midlothian
Have you seen them in "Marone"
they're the greatest team I know.
We have played in South Morocco
We have played in the USA
But the greatest game in history
is the game on new years day
For it's a home for famous heroes
and their stories have been told
of Alfie Conn and Jimmy Wardhaugh
John Cummings and Willie Bauld
And when my life is over
And death has left it's mark
You can scatter all my ashes
on the slopes of Tynecastle Park

I'm sure that you don't sing those lyrics so maybe there are two versions?

greenlex
16-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Strange lot you lot.
Why would you sing about getting ****ged 7-0 at home by your rivals in a new year game?

Here's the lyrics - make your own mind up. :greengrin

Have you seen them in "Marone"
they're the greatest team I know.
We have played in South Morocco
We have played in the USA
But the greatest game in history
is the game on new years day
For it's a home for famous heroes
and their stories have been told
of Alfie Conn and Jimmy Wardhaugh
John Cummings and Willie Bauld
And when my life is over
And death has left it's mark
You can scatter all my ashes
on the slopes of Tynecastle Park

I'm sure that you don't sing those lyrics so maybe there are two versions?

Luna_Asylum
17-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Only Yams claim that.

you claim what you want it's a yam song

BroxburnHibee
17-11-2010, 10:10 PM

Usual pish from you - never ever heard them sing a song to that tune.

nonshinyfinish
17-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Since there are fairly complex but dated lyrics for the Hearts version, it seems plausible to me that they sang it first, and we hijacked it after the 0-7 game.

marinello59
18-11-2010, 05:41 AM

You going to expand on that then? Virtually every football song sung by a group of fans could claim to have origins elsewhere, it's the way it works. Football rivalry dictates that our own version is the only correct one.:greengrin I can't say I have heard any Hearts fans sing our version and I honestly can't recall them singing their own version.
How about you? Which version are you most familiar with?

Hibs90
18-11-2010, 06:43 AM

Blew your cover. :agree:

You going to expand on that then? Virtually every football song sung by a group of fans could claim to have origins elsewhere, it's the way it works. Football rivalry dictates that our own version is the only correct one. I can't say I have heard any Hearts fans sing our version and I honestly can't recall them singing their own version.

My mate used to sing the 'have you heard of the Gorgay Aggro!' version at me alot when he was drunk. Gorgie Aggro :faf:

Luna_Asylum
18-11-2010, 06:59 AM
You going to expand on that then? Virtually every football song sung by a group of fans could claim to have origins elsewhere, it's the way it works. Football rivalry dictates that our own version is the only correct one.:greengrin I can't say I have heard any Hearts fans sing our version and I honestly can't recall them singing their own version.

our "version" is the south morrocco verse with 7-0 (6-2....) added on

so when did we play in south morrocco?

arsey admin from broxburn can answer also if he wants

marinello59
18-11-2010, 07:07 AM

I am pretty sure we didn't but does it really matter? It's a fitba song, quite an enjoyable one to sing as it happens. I can't say I have ever seen anybody stopping mid chorus and saying,''Actually I feel a bit stupid, historically this is all wrong and I am sure the Yams have their own version.''
Bet you are a laugh a minute at parties.

HibeePaj
18-11-2010, 07:33 AM
I am pretty sure we didn't but does it really matter? It's a fitba song, quite an enjoyable one to sing as it happens. I can't say I have ever seen anybody stopping mid chorus and saying,''Actually I feel a bit stupid, historically this is all wrong and I am sure the Yams have their own version.''
Bet you are a laugh a minute at parties.

Thought it was quite a fair point to be honest. I certainly never realised it was a hearts song. And let's be honest I very much doubt it is a case of two football teams singing the same song, this will have most probably came around from Hibs fans winding up Hearts fans, no?

Anybody old enough remember?

BroxburnHibee
18-11-2010, 09:22 AM

arsey admin from broxburn can answer also if he wants

Touch a nerve did I?

marinello59
18-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Thought it was quite a fair point to be honest. I certainly never realised it was a hearts song. And let's be honest I very much doubt it is a case of two football teams singing the same song, this will have most probably came around from Hibs fans winding up Hearts fans, no?

Does anybody realise the Skacel song is actually a Beatles number?:devil:

Luna_Asylum
18-11-2010, 07:06 PM

http://www.londonhearts.com/humour/southmorocco.html

frazeHFC
18-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Who gives a damn if they have been there or sing the song. The song mentions our 7-0 gubbing of them, and that is good enough for me :thumbsup:

One Day Soon
18-11-2010, 09:59 PM
http://www.londonhearts.com/humour/southmorocco.html

Hmmm.....

Ed De Gramo
18-11-2010, 10:07 PM
It's a song for both Edinburgh teams.

They sing about New Years Day because in the past days, there was always an Edinburgh Derby on NYD....

jabis
18-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Touch a nerve did I?

just stone him...........but don't tell amnesty

IberianHibernian
19-11-2010, 10:16 PM
is anyone aware it's a yam song?Yes. First heard it ( from Hearts fans ) on first visit to Tynecastle ( about 1970 ) and was always surprised and disappointed to hear some of our fans take it up . At that time 90% of our songs were Irish-related , we had a huge stadium with open terraces ( no noise outside Cave ) and so always lacked new songs - could say we`ve suffered from lack of atmosphere and songs since then .

heretoday
19-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Yes. First heard it ( from Hearts fans ) on first visit to Tynecastle ( about 1970 ) and was always surprised and disappointed to hear some of our fans take it up . At that time 90% of our songs were Irish-related , we had a huge stadium with open terraces ( no noise outside Cave ) and so always lacked new songs - could say we`ve suffered from lack of atmosphere and songs since then .

That's true. The ground was so huge that it was quite difficult to get a sort of fellow feeling at all. Away games were better, apart from the boot boy stuff. Then we got to sing together in a more initimate space. Places like Falkirk and Kirkcaldy lent themselves to a great singing scene.

It was pure magic actually!:thumbsup:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
19-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Hmmm.....

Could just be a pish o pish...

Luna_Asylum
20-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Usual pish from you - never ever heard them sing a song to that tune.

usual pish from you

discman
20-11-2010, 09:23 PM
:top marks
usual pish from you

BroxburnHibee
20-11-2010, 09:45 PM
usual pish from you

Great comeback - I'm defeated by your superior intellect.

Glad you enjoyed it :wink:

London Hibee
23-11-2010, 06:23 PM
its clear that via our Moroccan connections a lot of locals have heard of us.

..and in my first conversation with a stallholder in the Marrakech souk, he hunts out a Whyte & Mackay era knock-off Hibs shirt with Zemmama and number 7 on the back

CropleyWasGod
23-11-2010, 06:41 PM
..and in my first conversation with a stallholder in the Marrakech souk, he hunts out a Whyte & Mackay era knock-off Hibs shirt with Zemmama and number 7 on the back

Ahhh, I remember my Hamamm massage in the back alleys of Casablanca. Afterwards, while I was chilling out, my masseur offered me what looked like a joint....but he called it a Benji. Guaranteed, he promised me, to give me an air of indolence, with occasional flashes of insight, but which would ensure that, for the remainder of my stay, I just wouldn't give a ****.