PDA

View Full Version : Erin Go Bragh flags

Dunbar Hibee
15-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Anyone have any idea where I can purchase one?? Cheers

Gatecrasher
15-11-2010, 08:27 PM
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=erin+go+bragh+flag&_sacat=See-All-Categories

.Sean.
15-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Usually on sale at the top of the lane beside the supporters club on matchdays.

scott7_0(Prague)
18-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Anyone have any idea where I can purchase one?? Cheers

Why would you want one, are you Irish, why not get a Green Hibs Saltire instead!

http://www.hibsshop.co.uk/cat-43-subcat-142-product-1287

Keith_M
18-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Why would you want one, are you Irish, why not get a Green Hibs Saltire instead!

I wondered when the flag debate would start. :greengrin

http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/helmet%20smiley.gif :duck: :offski:

Antifa Hibs
18-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Got mine from here > http://www.1000flags.co.uk/#2284X2206

This also isn't a bad flag > http://www.1000flags.co.uk/#2286X3385

degenerated
18-11-2010, 12:22 PM

why shouldn't he want one, it's the clubs original badge :confused:

RickyS
18-11-2010, 01:24 PM
:top marks

Green_one
18-11-2010, 01:30 PM
I wondered when the flag debate would start. :greengrin

http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/helmet%20smiley.gif :duck: :offski:

Can you get the Irish Tricolour at that site too?:devil::devil::wink:

easty
18-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Do you think that's why he wants it then yeah?

I like the clubs original badge....but then I like the new badge as well.....but which is better?........FIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

degenerated
18-11-2010, 01:35 PM

there's probably a fair chance, unless of course he's just an avid collector of flags from the american civil war.

Keith_M
18-11-2010, 01:36 PM

I like the clubs original badge....but then I like the new badge as well.....but which is better?........FIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Ah TV Burp, my favourite program.

:thumbsup:

Keith_M
18-11-2010, 01:37 PM
there's probably a fair chance, unless of course he's just an avid collector of flags from the american civil war.

?????????????????????????????????

Nope, you've lost me at least. I hope I'm not the only one..................

Green_one
18-11-2010, 01:41 PM
?????????????????????????????????

Nope, you've lost me at least. I hope I'm not the only one..................

Lots of Irish regiments would have used the harp as part of their flag (North and South). Could be one who also used that slogan? :confused:

easty
18-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Ah TV Burp, my favourite program.

Bush Push!!

Nonsensical genius.

degenerated
18-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Lots of Irish regiments would have used the harp as part of their flag (North and South). Could be one who also used that slogan? :confused:

irish regiments on both sides used variations of the flag with the motto, despite being the flag of the united irishmen in the 1798 rebellion it is commonly (and probably wrongly) described as the irish american flag due to this.

monktonharp
18-11-2010, 02:07 PM

http://www.hibsshop.co.uk/cat-43-subcat-142-product-1287maybe he is Irish,what's your problem with it?:confused: Iknow quite a few Irish men and woman that support Hibernian,............sorry for using the club's "original" name , are you slovakian?

Antifa Hibs
18-11-2010, 02:18 PM
The 4 flag flags are superb, should get them to more games. :agree: The ones with the tri-colour, saltire, erin go bragh and the hibs saltire. Represnting Hibernian F.C, past and present.

Always wanted one but couldnae tell ye what a sewing machine looks like let alone use one :greengrin

Niffy
18-11-2010, 03:16 PM
F.sake ... why not make up some "no poppy's on our shirts" pishy banners as well while your at it.

History or not , we're not in Ireland. Way to make folk hate us.

Keith_M
18-11-2010, 03:20 PM
F.sake ... why not make up some "no poppy's on our shirts" pishy banners as well while your at it.

:singing:

"No one likes us,
we don't care......"

:singing:

Andy74
18-11-2010, 03:26 PM

Eh?

vein
18-11-2010, 04:37 PM

Sound, we will just forget our history then. In fact maybe it would be better if we pretended we were established by a group of young Scottish men wanting to play a game of football.

Theres a big difference between what goes on at Parkhead and a few Tricolours dotted about ER.

gorgie_harp
18-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Are you tacking the piss? If you do not like Hibernian's heritage, go cheer on Farts.

seanraff07
18-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Sound, we will just forget our history then. In fact maybe it would be better if we pretended we were established by a group of young Scottish men wanting to play a game of football.

Theres a big difference between what goes on at Parkhead and a few Tricolours dotted about ER.

:agree:

degenerated
18-11-2010, 05:56 PM

or some young scottish men from a dancing club. hang one, wait a minute............... :guesswho:

wazoo1875
18-11-2010, 06:09 PM

Good for you Dave, no seen or heard ye for ages. Then ye come oot fightin !

Mon the Harps

marinello59
18-11-2010, 06:36 PM

Bit of an over reaction, no? There's a major difference between being a modern Scottish club comfortable with our Irish roots and what goes on over at Plastic Park.

Dunbar Hibee
18-11-2010, 06:41 PM

Yes I want an Erin go Bragh flag because It was our original club badge. Don't see the problem with that?:confused: I also have Irish family and Irish roots, not that I have to justify myself to you!

Storar
18-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Yes I want an Erin go Bragh flag because It was our original club badge. Don't see the problem with that?:confused: I also have Irish family and Irish roots, not that I have to justify myself to you!
Don't see the point in people taking flags to the games just because they have family links. You wouldn't take an Ireland flag to the cinema or the dentist or when you walk the dog so I don't get why football games are any different.
Fair enough it was the original badge but leave it in the past where it belongs. Get something that's relivant to Hibernian in 2010 instead of Hibernian in 1910.

degenerated
18-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Don't see the point in people taking flags to the games just because they have family links. You wouldn't take an Ireland flag to the cinema or the dentist or when you walk the dog so I don't get why football games are any different.
Fair enough it was the original badge but leave it in the past where it belongs. Get something that's relivant to Hibernian in 2010 instead of Hibernian in 1910.

perhaps he wants to take it celebrate the clubs heritage. If the cinema, his dentist or even his dog were proud enough of their irish heritage to have a name meaning ireland and considered the harp relevant enough to be worn as a badge then he may indeed be justified taking his flag along :wink:

Storar
18-11-2010, 07:18 PM
perhaps he wants to take it celebrate the clubs heritage. If the cinema, his dentist or even his dog were proud enough of their irish heritage to have a name meaning ireland and considered the harp relevant enough to be worn as a badge then he may indeed be justified taking his flag along :wink:
That's rubbish though because nobody would do that.
Stick to Hibs flags at Hibs games, maybe Scotland flags for European games but anything else is unnecessary and people who feel the need to display it are either at the wind up or living in the past.

Buy one of those Hibs Saltires mate, apart from they are more relevant to the club as a whole, they also look much better than that other flag you're after.

Dunbar Hibee
18-11-2010, 07:19 PM

It's more about celebrating the club's past than anything to do with family..

degenerated
18-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Stick to Hibs flags at Hibs games, maybe Scotland flags for European games but anything else is unnecessary and people who feel the need to display it are either at the wind up or living in the past.

Buy one of those Hibs Saltires mate, apart from they are more relevant to the club as a whole, they also look much better than that other flag you're after.

its equally as nonsensical as your comparison on taking an Irish Flag to the dentists or the cinema, which is exactly what it was meant to be.

buy what ever you want Dunbar, don't let these would be revisionists dictate what flags you take to ER. Just as long as its not a union flag :stirrer:

The Harp
18-11-2010, 07:36 PM

Good for you DH. Can't understand why some folk are always telling others what to do. You want an Erin Go Bragh flag ... you get an Erin Go Bragh flag!
Was hoping we'd seen the last of flag debates on here, I was obviously wrong. :bitchy:

Dunbar Hibee
18-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Good for you DH. Can't understand why some folk are always telling others what to do. You want an Erin Go Bragh flag ... you get an Erin Go Bragh flag!
Was hoping we'd seen the last of flag debates on here, I was obviously wrong. :bitchy:

It's on its way mate.. could well make an appearance in Inverness.. should I be expecting dogs abuse?:greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
18-11-2010, 07:55 PM

So we should forget our roots and how we were founded?:confused:

NAH......

Baldy Foghorn
18-11-2010, 07:56 PM
It's on its way mate.. could well make an appearance in Inverness.. should I be expecting dogs abuse?:greengrin

Nobody should be dishing out dogs abuse to anyone, for remembering the heritage and history of our great Club.

Storar
18-11-2010, 08:10 PM
So we should forget our roots and how we were founded?:confused:

NAH......

There's a reminder on the front of the shirt every time we play a game. I don't understand why the harp on the badge already isn't enough to celebrate the clubs past.
I wouldn't expect anybody to bring a flag to Easter Road that said 'Ireland Forever' in english on it so why does having it in Gaelic make any difference?

We're not an Irish club and we have nothing to do with Ireland. Maybe there was a connection before but now we're Leith, Edinburgh and Scotland and it would be good to see more people celebrating what Hibernian means now instead of what we were 130 years ago.

scott7_0(Prague)
18-11-2010, 08:11 PM

I wasn't having a go, just asking a genuine question... if it came over wrong then oops :boo hoo:

Calm Doon see above. :greengrin

maybe he is Irish,what's your problem with it?:confused: Iknow quite a few Irish men and woman that support Hibernian,............sorry for using the club's "original" name , are you slovakian?

You too calm doon, I wasn't having a go, i was genuinely interested to find out why, wasn't having a go and no, I am Scottish thanks and have a nice Green Hibs Saltire.

Dunbar Hibee
18-11-2010, 08:18 PM
I wasn't having a go, just asking a genuine question... if it came over wrong then oops :boo hoo:

Calm Doon see above. :greengrin

You too calm doon, I wasn't having a go, i was genuinely interested to find out why, wasn't having a go and no, I am Scottish thanks and have a nice Green Hibs Saltire.

Fair enough man. Question answered?:greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
18-11-2010, 08:22 PM
There's a reminder on the front of the shirt every time we play a game. I don't understand why the harp on the badge already isn't enough to celebrate the clubs past.
I wouldn't expect anybody to bring a flag to Easter Road that said 'Ireland Forever' in english on it so why does having it in Gaelic make any difference?

We're not an Irish club and we have nothing to do with Ireland. Maybe there was a connection before but now we're Leith, Edinburgh and Scotland and it would be good to see more people celebrating what Hibernian means now instead of what we were 130 years ago.

Our history and heritage should never be forgotten.....

In case you dont know, our first strip had "erin go bragh" under a harp...... Should be celebrated IMO and if people want to wave erin go bragh flags then what harm is it doing?

seanraff07
18-11-2010, 08:23 PM

You should bring it mate, i think they look smart as ****, i'm going to buy one soon too.

I've got a Hibs saltire, Lion Rampant, and going to buy the Erin Go Bragh soon and my mate has the Ireland flag so what were planning on doing is hopefully sowing all four flags together and make it one massive flag, and hopefully get it all done in time for Tynie.:agree:

Cabbage East
18-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Can't beat a good flag debate.

Hibercelona
18-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Can we give this Ireland suck up p!sh a rest eh?

Aye, we were started by a couple of irishmen. But in Scotland!!!

We are a "Scottish" team in "Edinburgh".

If you're a scotsman bringing an Irish flag to a game then your just a tw@t IMO. It makes you no better than those manky bassas at pinkcastle who bring union jacks and use "proud to be British" as an excuse. :bitchy:

You want to support Hibernians true heritage?..... bring a Scotland flag. Because thats exactly where we are from!

Baldy Foghorn
18-11-2010, 09:01 PM

If you're a scotsman bringing an Irish flag to a game then your just a tw@t IMO. It makes you no better than those manky bassas at pinkcastle who bring union jacks and use "proud to be British" as an excuse. :bitchy:

You want to support Hibernians true heritage?..... bring a Scotland flag. Because thats exactly where we are from!

Read the history books and you will see we were formed by Irish immigrants in Little Ireland Edinburgh....... Yes we are Scottish, but our history is due to Irishmen.... Have you no concept of our heritage?

Andy74
18-11-2010, 09:03 PM

Are you going to be pushing for a change of name for the club then?

Sad to see that people still have any issue with anything related to Ireland. Says more about them than those who are quite comfortable with it all.

vein
18-11-2010, 09:18 PM

I think you will find that we have a lot to do with Ireland. If it wasnt for the Irish community who happened to emigrate to the Cowgate in Edinburgh we would have no club to celebrate anything about today.

There are a lot of people who follow Hibs who are rightly very proud of our history. Your correct, we are a Scottish team in Edinburgh but no matter how you want to look at it we have a strong connection with Ireland through the formation of our club.

I've spent a bit of time in Dublin with work and I love nothing more than correcting the folks I speak to about who was the original Irish club in Scotland. Most of them have no clue about Celtc being formed after seeing the success that the Irish community in Edinburgh had with Hibs.

I love a good flag debate. If we get more people involved in this thread will that make it a mass flag debate:dunno:

Titch
18-11-2010, 09:33 PM
its equally as nonsensical as your comparison on taking an Irish Flag to the dentists or the cinema, which is exactly what it was meant to be.

buy what ever you want Dunbar, don't let these would be revisionists dictate what flags you take to ER. Just as long as its not a union flag :stirrer:

EXACTLY what i'll be doing from now on

Antifa Hibs
18-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Like it or lump it the erin go bragh flag has every right at Hibs matches as anyother badge.

If the Dunbar lad asked where can I buy Hibs flags of the crown or saturn badges would there be people saying 'nah, leave it alone' and 2 pages on mostly nonsense? Would there ****! Anti-Irishness well alive and kicking on .net I see...

Jonnyboy
18-11-2010, 09:50 PM
For those of you who seem confused by our origins as a club I suggest you read the linked article and then follow each sequential part.

http://www.hibs.net/content.php?56-We-Are-Hibernian-FC-Part-One

Fantic
18-11-2010, 09:50 PM
EXACTLY what i'll be doing from now on

Good luck with that.

Titch
18-11-2010, 09:52 PM
like it or lump it the erin go bragh flag has every right at hibs matches as anyother badge.

If the dunbar lad asked where can i buy hibs flags of the crown or saturn badges would there be people saying 'nah, leave it alone' and 2 pages on mostly nonsense? Would there ****! Anti-irishness well alive and kicking on .net i see...

alba gu brath

Titch
18-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Good luck with that.

Who's gonnae stop me???
why would i need luck?:confused:

Antifa Hibs
18-11-2010, 09:55 PM
alba gu brath

Your 29 squire, act your age, get a life etc. A lad asked where he can buy a flag and your coming out with scotland for ever, talking about bring a UJ etc, who's gonna stop me, its not a competition FFS!

Dashing Bob S
18-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Can't see the problem with the Erin Go Bragh flag. I don't take flags to the game, can't see the point of dragging around something cumbersome all day, don't have any Irish blood, but I'm proud of my club's unique heritage and thus sleep underneath one in my Malaga apartment.

I always laugh at the mindless drones who parrot 'we're a Scottish club etc.' Well you don't say, Mister Holmes. Part of the reason I love Hibs is because our background is a little more interesting than nothing clubs like ICT, St Johnstone, Hearts, St Mirren etc and not just an opportunistic commerical/sectarian scam like Celtic. If you feel the need to wrap a saltire or lion rampant around everything, be my guest, but Im delighted Hibs are more fascinating than that mundane pack.

We shouldnt apologizing about our roots because a few bigots still have issues with a friendly neighbouring country in the EC, or their counterparts misguidedly belive it makes them freedom fighters to wave tricolours around.

Titch
18-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Your 29 squire, act your age, get a life etc. A lad asked where he can buy a flag and your coming out with scotland for ever, talking about bring a UJ etc, who's gonna stop me, its not a competition FFS!

i'll act however i want and the UJ comment is a reply to another post also the who's gonnae stop me is in reply to " good luck with that "

nonshinyfinish
18-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Can't see the problem with the Erin Go Bragh flag. I don't take flags to the game, can't see the point of dragging around something cumbersome all day, don't have any Irish blood, but I'm proud of my club's unique heritage and thus sleep underneath one in my Malaga apartment.

I always laugh at the mindless drones who parrot 'we're a Scottish club etc.' Well you don't say, Mister Holmes. Part of the reason I love Hibs is because our background is a little more interesting than nothing clubs like ICT, St Johnstone, Hearts, St Mirren etc and not just an opportunistic commerical/sectarian scam like Celtic. If you feel the need to wrap a saltire or lion rampant around everything, be my guest, but Im delighted Hibs are more fascinating than that mundane pack.

We shouldnt apologizing about our roots because a few bigots still have issues with a friendly neighbouring country in the EC, or their counterparts misguidedly belive it makes them freedom fighters to wave tricolours around.

Well said.

Antifa Hibs
18-11-2010, 10:07 PM
i'll act however i want and the UJ comment is a reply to another post also the who's gonnae stop me is in reply to " good luck with that "

Thats what i'd expect from the wee yin in your avatar, not from a grown man :LOL:

degenerated
18-11-2010, 10:09 PM

i think you missed the :stirrer: smiley at the end of my post.

i actually couldn't give a flying one what flag you, or anyone takes to the football. i just get a bit hacked off at this denial and revisionism of the clubs heritage from people who are either ashamed of or dislike the fact that hibs are indeed a club of irish origin.

Removed
18-11-2010, 10:09 PM

I remember a previous poster who had an attitude like that. He's not grown up yet either.

Titch
18-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Thats what i'd expect from the wee yin in your avatar, not from a grown man :LOL:

Hilarious:notworthy:

derekduval
18-11-2010, 10:16 PM
quite fancy the green and black union flag myself

Titch
18-11-2010, 10:16 PM
I remember a previous poster who had an attitude like that. He's not grown up yet either.

:confused::confused: and who are you to come to that conclusion?
you base that on one post????
this is a subject which really get on my nerves i am proud of our irish roots however i know many hibs fans and NONE of them have anything to do with ireland and have no irish family
the people who bring these flags to the game aren't doing it because of our "IRISH ROOTS" they're doing it to provoke a reaction of the kind which i have given on this thread

degenerated
18-11-2010, 10:19 PM
this is a subject which really get on my nerves i am proud of our irish roots however i know many hibs fans and NONE of them have anything to do with ireland and have no irish family
the people who bring these flags to the game aren't doing it because of our "IRISH ROOTS" they're doing it to provoke a reaction of the kind which i have given on this thread

i don't think people taking flags with the original club badge are doing it to personally wind you up but then again as the saying goes just because your paranoid doesnt mean they aren't out to get you :greengrin

Antifa Hibs
18-11-2010, 10:20 PM

You know that how exactly?

Taking an erin go bragh flag to Inverness to provoke a reaction, yes 'cos Caley Thistle are known for there staunch anti-Irish pro-Britishness :faf:

Against Irish flags as they are there to get a reaction... from the same poster who just stated he might bring a union flag for i'd imagine, that very reason :tee hee:

Removed
18-11-2010, 10:35 PM

Well how many posts do I need?

The rest of your post is nonsense. I know guys who takes these flags to EVERY game no matter who the opposition is.

What about folk who have these sort of tattoos - who are they trying to get a reaction from and do they get on your nerves as well?

The Harp Awakes
18-11-2010, 10:38 PM
A golden harp with a green background. What a stunning Hibee flag. Was great to see so many of them at Hampden in 2007:flag:

GGTTH

Dunbar Hibee
19-11-2010, 12:02 AM
The people having a go for wanting an Erin Go Bragh flag are pathetic :hilarious.. It's a part of our clubs history... We are not Celtic bigots who try to be Irish.. 'Erin Go Bragh' is a part of our history... Yes we are a Scottish club but Erin Go Bragh was our original badge. We were founded by Irish Immigrants. Like it or lump it.

Storar
19-11-2010, 12:48 AM
My thoughts exactly.
I'm happy with our history and everything that's gone with it but at the end of the day it is still history and the Erin Go Bragh stuff should be left in the past where it belongs. I know it was part of the original badge but does nobody else think there's a reason why we no longer have 'Ireland Forever' written on our strips?
The harp is in the badge, and has it's meaning and that's enough for me. The castle and the ship are much more relevant to Hibernian FC as an Edinburgh football club and I think we should try and show as much pride of our Scottish roots than our Irish roots.

Lucius Apuleius
19-11-2010, 06:24 AM
:flag::hmmm:

And a damn fine song it is too. But here is a thing. We have a lot of immigrants into Scotland going back many hundreds of years and a grand history of welcoming them into our ranks. For this reason I don't think we have the same level of racism against immigrants in Scotland as we see in the rest of UK. Note I said same level and talking about immigrants, not asylum seekers as I think they are two different issues. Now, imagine football goes to the dogs because of the financial situation of a lot of clubs and the league collapses. We need to find a cheap sport to follow so Kabadi becomes the national sport. Now, along comes a group of Indians deciding to set up a team and they start flying Indian flags A couple of generations down the line they have changed and anybody can play for them. They are struggling in the Central Scotland Nationalized Bank of Scotland Kabadi third division. Is it still reasonable or acceptable to have these Indian flags with भारत हमेशा के लिए on them even though there are no players from India playing for them?

Andy74
19-11-2010, 10:32 AM
My thoughts exactly.
I'm happy with our history and everything that's gone with it but at the end of the day it is still history and the Erin Go Bragh stuff should be left in the past where it belongs. I know it was part of the original badge but does nobody else think there's a reason why we no longer have 'Ireland Forever' written on our strips?
The harp is in the badge, and has it's meaning and that's enough for me. The castle and the ship are much more relevant to Hibernian FC as an Edinburgh football club and I think we should try and show as much pride of our Scottish roots than our Irish roots.

The other things are just as relevant, they are not 'much more' relevant.

We are called Hibernian FC and if that is so irrelevant why not change it? Should make no odds if it means nothing to us?

I think people get a wee bit confused about Ireland. It seems people can't seperate what some people have used it for, secterianism, religion, politics, all that stuff, from actually just being a place, and a place where the founders of our team came from and where we took our name from.

If the very mention of Ireland is an issue for someone then that is something those people need to address as to why.

Andy74
19-11-2010, 10:35 AM
:flag::hmmm:

And a damn fine song it is too. But here is a thing. We have a lot of immigrants into Scotland going back many hundreds of years and a grand history of welcoming them into our ranks. For this reason I don't think we have the same level of racism against immigrants in Scotland as we see in the rest of UK. Note I said same level and talking about immigrants, not asylum seekers as I think they are two different issues. Now, imagine football goes to the dogs because of the financial situation of a lot of clubs and the league collapses. We need to find a cheap sport to follow so Kabadi becomes the national sport. Now, along comes a group of Indians deciding to set up a team and they start flying Indian flags A couple of generations down the line they have changed and anybody can play for them. They are struggling in the Central Scotland Nationalized Bank of Scotland Kabadi third division. Is it still reasonable or acceptable to have these Indian flags with भारत हमेशा के लिए on them even though there are no players from India playing for them?

A better analogy would be a group of indian's who start a football team and name it after India and then several generations later anyone can play for them. Would it be right to fly an Indian flag at their games? Absolutely.

Or for a group of Scots to go to India and start a Kabadi team and then generations later it is a mixed team, called something to do with Scotland. Again it would be quite reasonable for a Scottish emblem to still be in use for them.

The Irish didn't bring football with them so don't see the point of your example.

Lucius Apuleius
19-11-2010, 12:22 PM
A better analogy would be a group of indian's who start a football team and name it after India and then several generations later anyone can play for them. Would it be right to fly an Indian flag at their games? Absolutely.

Or for a group of Scots to go to India and start a Kabadi team and then generations later it is a mixed team, called something to do with Scotland. Again it would be quite reasonable for a Scottish emblem to still be in use for them.

The Irish didn't bring football with them so don't see the point of your example.

Does every question need a point? I was trying to put something across that was vaguely similar but trying to inject a wee bit of humour (obvious failing in the process). Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooo much seiousness over a piece of cloth.

Keith_M
19-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Is this thread still going?

Oops, I just realised I've just bumped it. :greengrin

Anyway, did you get your flag mate? I've bought a Tricolour, Union Jack(sic), Erin Go Bragh and Red Hand of Ulster flags. I'm planning on sowing them all together and taking them to the next home game, just to show what an inclusive support Hibs have :wink:

Hibernia Na Eir
19-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Almost all clubs in this globe of ours are proud of their heritage and sometimes even wear motifs refelcting the history of their club! Yes they do!, Shock!

We wear the Harp because of our proud roots and with pride.

Dont like it? Then tough.

vahibbie
19-11-2010, 03:18 PM
The other things are just as relevant, they are not 'much more' relevant.

We are called Hibernian FC and if that is so irrelevant why not change it? Should make no odds if it means nothing to us?

I think people get a wee bit confused about Ireland. It seems people can't seperate what some people have used it for, secterianism, religion, politics, all that stuff, from actually just being a place, and a place where the founders of our team came from and where we took our name from.
If the very mention of Ireland is an issue for someone then that is something those people need to address as to why.

Well said:agree:

It's unfortunate that we have the evil spectre of the OF religious/sectarian bile hanging over Scotland. One would hope that all of us (Hibs supporters)have moved on and we can tell the difference between celebrating our past and provoking a reaction. A Hibby with a flag should be just that, a Hibby with a flag. Doesn't matter if it's someone of Irish decent with an Irish flag to celebrate Hibernian history or a Squaddie with a UJ to show his Britishness and service.

Just dinnae wave it in front o me when were playing:wink:

Dunbar Hibee
19-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Is this thread still going?

Oops, I just realised I've just bumped it. :greengrin

Anyway, did you get your flag mate? I've bought a Tricolour, Union Jack(sic), Erin Go Bragh and Red Hand of Ulster flags. I'm planning on sowing them all together and taking them to the next home game, just to show what an inclusive support Hibs have :wink:

It's on its way mate won't be here for Inverness.. (maybe a blessing in disguise judging by some of the comments on this thread!) :greengrin

joe_hfc
19-11-2010, 05:02 PM
You know that how exactly?

Taking an erin go bragh flag to Inverness to provoke a reaction, yes :agree: :faf:

Against Irish flags as they are there to get a reaction... from the same poster who just stated he might bring a union flag for i'd imagine, that very reason :tee hee:

Many of them are, actually.

FWIW I think taking tri-colours to hibs games is ridiculous. Why do that when we complain about Rangers and Hearts taking Union Jacks to their games?
We support a FOOTBALL team, we go there to watch the FOOTBALL. nothing to do with what religion/ nationality/ political beliefs the folk who played for us 135 years ago were. If our founder was Dutch, would we have Dutch flags everywhere with 'our time will come' or whatever on it? No.

We are a scottish/ british team through and through. If you want to wave a flag at a game, wave your own, not another countries. You certainly wouldn't see irish fans waving a saltire at a game if their team was founded by a scotsman over a century ago. its ridiculous.

vein
19-11-2010, 05:26 PM

FWIW I think taking tri-colours to hibs games is ridiculous. Why do that when we complain about Rangers and Hearts taking Union Jacks to their games?
We support a FOOTBALL team, we go there to watch the FOOTBALL. nothing to do with what religion/ nationality/ political beliefs the folk who played for us 135 years ago were. If our founder was Dutch, would we have Dutch flags everywhere with 'our time will come' or whatever on it? No.

Er, yes we would.

We are a scottish/ british team through and through. If you want to wave a flag at a game, wave your own, not another countries. You certainly wouldn't see irish fans waving a saltire at a game if their team was founded by a scotsman over a century ago. its ridiculous.

Er, yes you probably would.

Dunbar Hibee
19-11-2010, 06:19 PM

:faf: what a load of pish. IT IS PART OF OUR HISTORY!!! Get that into your head, man.

Sunny1875
19-11-2010, 06:54 PM

Where can i get a flag with an empty tram line ?

degenerated
19-11-2010, 07:04 PM

i'm neither scottish or british, should i go and support another team because you choose not to acknowlege the clubs heritage.

hibbybrian
19-11-2010, 07:08 PM
My thoughts exactly.

I understand that the Scots were a tribe which came from Ireland and settled here :wink:

the happy hibee
19-11-2010, 08:26 PM
I dont know why anytime the tricolour or erin go bragh is mentioned on the this site regarding hibs it is met with so much distain considering it was irishmen who started of our great club ( i know all you haters out there that it sticks in your throught but its a fact they did) and our badge was the harp with erin go bragh underneth it as our motto ( oh and for a good few years we were also known in the press as being the irishmen when they reported on us in games) so for all those people out there who say we should totally forget about our history which has made us this great club we are today i am sorry but i cant forget that and wont forget that! GLORY GLORY AND EIN GO BRAGH!

Fantic
19-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Hail Hail the Hibs are here
All for goals and glory
All for goals and glory
All for goals and glory now
For it's a grand old team to play for
And it's a grand old team to say
That if you know your history
It's enough to make your heart go-oh-oh-oh
We don't care what the animals say
What the hell do we care
For all we know
Is there's going to be a show
And the Edinburgh Hibess will be there

Big Frank
19-11-2010, 10:18 PM
All for goals and glory
All for goals and glory
All for goals and glory now
For it's a grand old team to play for
And it's a grand old team to say
That if you know your history
It's enough to make your heart go-oh-oh-oh
We don't care what the animals say
What the hell do we care
For all we know
Is there's going to be a show
And the Edinburgh Hibess will be there

I thought it was a grand old team to see:wink:

Hamish
19-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Correct. As someone said on a thread last week a club with its roots in Ireland, fully integrated into Scottish life.

Unlike some others not 40 miles away.

Pete
20-11-2010, 12:07 AM
My new dentist is Irish and the surgery is close to Easter Road...and I'm well happy with the price and service.

It doesn't sound so ridiculous after all.

easty
20-11-2010, 12:32 AM
:faf: what a load of pish. IT IS PART OF OUR HISTORY!!! Get that into your head, man.

While that's true, if you believe that all the tricolours and erin go bragh flags at Easter Road are to 'celebrate our history' then you're naive.

I don't have a problem with it, but I find it odd when people who defend the tricolour at Easter Road are often the same people who condemn the Union Jack being displayed by "them" at the PBS. Cos they're as much a British club as we are an Irish one.

The Harp Awakes
20-11-2010, 12:45 AM

Brilliant post:not worth

Steve-O
20-11-2010, 04:33 AM
I bought a massive Erin Go Bragh flag at the 2000 Cup Final. Was a bit annoyed to see Celtic fans with these as well, but I like the flag.

Couldn't give 2 hoots about Ireland by the way...

Edit - I meant 2001 Cup Final!

Jack
20-11-2010, 09:34 AM
While that's true, if you believe that all the tricolours and erin go bragh flags at Easter Road are to 'celebrate our history' then you're naive.

I don't have a problem with it, but I find it odd when people who defend the tricolour at Easter Road are often the same people who condemn the Union Jack being displayed by "them" at the PBS. Cos they're as much a British club as we are an Irish one.
Nail on the head.

Sammy7nil
20-11-2010, 10:12 AM

I agree too many people want to look back, there is a time and a place form remembering and it aint everysingle Hibs match.
People living in the past cause a lot of problems.

We are Hibernian a Great Scottish club in a modern city which is known world wide.

marinello59
20-11-2010, 10:15 AM
I agree too many people want to look back, there is a time and a place form remembering and it aint everysingle Hibs match.
People living in the past cause a lot of problems.

We are Hibernian a Great Scottish club in a modern city which is known world wide.

The leprechaun outfit I had intended to wear at Inverness today is a mistake then?

Sammy7nil
20-11-2010, 10:21 AM
The leprechaun outfit I had intended to wear at Inverness today is a mistake then?

Not at all :greengrin

MrSmith
20-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Yep I believe its time we started trading on this type of thing...I mean Celtic make a fortune out of the misery caused by sectarian causes - so why shouldn't we? It would further enhance the reputation of the club on a bigger stage ensuring we would get the necessary coverage to attract fans of Celtic quality to support our Irish club; And there is huge potential and gain in that itself! Definitely for me! Again we would attract great player/manger types like Neil Lennon, Martin O'Neil, Mick McCarthy, Roy Keane, Robbie Keane and their ilk. How great would it be to see ER covered stand to stand in Ireland flags, emblems, tricolours, balaclavas, guns and bombs and Republican marching bands... Works for me - loads of money and no conscience!

PS does the club not celebrate its historic past in a way that is both appropriate and respectful to those fantastic people who created us and left us a legacy of tolerance and human well-being?

Keith_M
20-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Hibs are a Scottish club, founded by Irishmen. Scotland is part of the UK. So, anyone that wants to celebrate our 'heritage' should really be OK with a Saltire, Tricolour/Harp* or Union Jack.

:greengrin

* In fact, that in itself is a whole other debate :wink:

ginger_rice
20-11-2010, 02:04 PM
To me flags are part and parcel of the colour and atmosphere at football matches, personally I couldn't give a toss if the yams or huns wave Union Flags, smeltic wave the tri colour or what ever.

I do have a problem with the poison at Parkhead and Ibrox...do flags keep that going, no not in themselves, its the attitude of the people waving them, for instance how much sectarianism is there at a Boston Celtics game?

What does worry me is the attitude in Scotland to people who consider themselves of Irish decent, I read once that the only country in the World where the Irish can't celebrate being Irish is Scotland, at times it seems almost to border on the likes of anti-semitism. We Scots can tolerate diwali, melas, or whatever, but mention Ireland and a howl of outraged protest arises.

Like it or not, it was exactly these attitudes to the Irish community in Edinburgh which led to the YMCS forming not only Hibernian Football Club, but the Hibernian swimming club and many other such organisations.

My own personal views of flags.....not the tri-colour leave that bto the lesser greens, I would actually drop the words Erin Go Bragh from the flag and just have the harp on a green background, or lets go one better, green saltire with a gold harp in the middle, and make that ours!

MrSmith
20-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Great post, particularly this bit:

My own personal views of flags.....not the tri-colour leave that bto the lesser greens, I would actually drop the words Erin Go Bragh from the flag and just have the harp on a green background, or lets go one better, green saltire with a gold harp in the middle, and make that ours!

:top marks My feelings too.

Hibernia Na Eir
21-11-2010, 08:00 PM
think its safe to say there are more Hibs fans proud of our Irish roots and heritage than those who disown it.

Good to see:greengrin

Big Frank
22-11-2010, 10:06 AM

:faf:

Jack
22-11-2010, 11:12 AM
As I see it there are two types of Irish flag wavers at ER.

There are the types who bring their flags along and display them at all matches, there's no bluster just a demonstration. I can honestly see that as recognising our history; EGB and to some extent the Tricolour. Everyone will be happy to know that I’m cool with that and permission to fly has been granted. :agree: :wink:

Then there are the other types though who only bring their flags to basically Cat A games. They keep them in a little bag to and from the match and only produce them now and again during the match directed at and specifically to taunt the opposition fans. Our history is purely coincidental. If they thought the Italian Tricolour would cause offence to the opposition fans they'd bring them along instead. TBH I’m not entirely fussy to see these folk at ER.

Its quite easy to tell the two apart.

Phil MaGlass
23-11-2010, 10:01 AM

You could say the same for replica shirts, NO? then nobody would buy them?

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2010, 12:52 PM
As much as I think that there are fans who take out tricolours at Huns/yams games purely to wind up opposition fans rather than to support our heritage, since when did winding up opposition fans, particularly bigots, become unacceptable behaviour?

I think there are probably more supporters who would celebrate our Irish roots in this manner if bringing along the flag of a friendly neighbouring country in the EC where our club happen to originate from was no big deal.

I think in this case we simply have it wrong. Why is that that the authorities and the even the 'ordinary fan' in Scotland's views on this issue seem designed to placate the sensibilities of anti-Irish bigots?

I think we have to grown up as a society on this issue and normalise the symbols of Ireland. People in that country, in America, Australia etc don't think of the IRA or guns and bombs when they see that flag, they just see the flag of another friendly nation. And so should we. As long as we let a bigoted, sneering uptight pseudo Orange element of small town Lanarkshire and Ayrshire clowns with no life dictate how we feel about this flag, the more it is appropriated as a emblem of resistence by their chip-on-the shoulder counterparts who then use their supposed origins and the 'discrimination' they've meant to have suffered as means of justifying their low status and not very high intelligence.

It's ludicrous that we're letting the lowest levels of muppet society in modern Scotland still dictate how we feel about Ireland.

easty
23-11-2010, 01:07 PM
It's ludicrous that we're letting the lowest levels of muppet society in modern Scotland still dictate how we feel about Ireland.

You assume we all feel something about Ireland? I don't. Never been. No relatives over there (though I'm a wee bit distant related - my grans cousins son - to Bobby Sands...). Hibs being founded by Irishmen means little to me, I'm Scottish and as far as I'm concerned so are Hibs.

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2010, 02:00 PM
You assume we all feel something about Ireland? I don't. Never been. No relatives over there (though I'm a wee bit distant related - my grans cousins son - to Bobby Sands...). Hibs being founded by Irishmen means little to me, I'm Scottish and as far as I'm concerned so are Hibs.

No, I'm assuming that we are letting people who do feel something about Ireland (generally misguided rubbish) dictate how the rest of us respond to it.

I've no Irish blood at all, and though I lived on the West Coast of Ireland largely for recreational reasons (I was mad keen on sailing at the time) and grew to like the place, I don't have any particular sentiment about it. I don't assume that anybody has sentiment to either Ireland, Britain or Scotland, as I'm not particularly nationalistic myself.

I just think it's interesting that we have a different history to Hearts, St Johnstone, Raith Rovers, Kilmarnock, Rangers, Ayr United, Celtic and, in fact, every other club in Britain. And in this horrible age of uniformity, I personally find that something worth celebrating rather than being ashamed of.

MrSmith
23-11-2010, 02:25 PM
I think there is lots to celebrate here Bob but appropriately! However as you say small minded idiots from South Lanarkshire, yes, to an extent I agree with that assessment however, the demographic is far wider than that. You could have used examples from Penicuik, Tranent, Bathgate, Southouse and Gilmerton and many other places as well. Also a small minded mentality emanates from the Catholic Republican faction too as they try, using the same tactic, to convince/force us into believing they are victims and their bombing and hatred campaign is just!

I don't want Hibs to be involved with any of it and if that means blanket banning the bigots then so be it! Although the green flag with the gold harp is stunning but without the words because I don't pledge my allegiances to Ireland!

I work in Glasgow and have been subjected to some of the worst sectarian bile ever from both sides and hey... I'm not even the slightest bit religious nor come from a religion based family!! However on closer debate, you will find the majority of these people do indeed come from South Lanarkshire and outlying areas...and its coming closer...much closer to home...

Jack
23-11-2010, 02:39 PM
As much as I think that there are fans who take out tricolours at Huns/yams games purely to wind up opposition fans rather than to support our heritage, since when did winding up opposition fans, particularly bigots, become unacceptable behaviour?

Further to what I said earlier and in reply to what you said.

… and mind I have no problem with any flag, it’s the intent.

Although I wouldn’t do it myself I’m more than happy for folk to fly with our heritage. I fly the Nigerian flag on occasion :greengrin. Nothing to do with Nigeria – it green, white and green. Its even our shade of green! It’s a sort of Hibs flag.

In some cases though and IMO its just our bigots and their bigots feeding off each other.

joe_hfc
23-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Part of our history or not - there's a fine line between waving and Ireland flag and sectarianism. If you think that all the 15 year old Neds waving Tri-colours and Erin Go Brach flags are merely appreciating our Emerald Isle heritage than you are deluded.

People act in a way which they are percieved to be. For example, if you see a Hun wrapped in a N.I. flag, you will automatically percieve him to be sectarian, and willl likely conciously/ subconciously treat him that way. treating him like that will make him act like that (the theory of self).

Therefore, the same can - and does - happen to our fans. It doesn't matter what the original intentions of waving these flags are, it will make us look like mini-celtic sectarian *******s and we will probably turn in to mini-celtic sectarian *******s.

Joe Baker II
23-11-2010, 04:31 PM

Erin go Bragh is not the tricolour and has been previously part of the Hibernain FC shirt - not that I have any problems with Hibs fans bringing tricolours.

Fact any one is opposed to these flags on the grounds like "we are proud of Irish roots but are now Scottish and do not wallow in our past" just proves Irishness has never been fully accepted in Scotland and hence justifies need to display such symbols in in 2010.

Agree entirely with your second paragraph, wish some of those who are so easily offended would relocate from Scotland as they are source of most problems through seeing celebrating heritage as living in past.

Baader
23-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Used to live in Highbury and regularly saw Irish flags - amongst others - for sale at the many stalls outside the ground and draped over the shoulders of some Arsenal fans. Highbury and Finsbury Park used to have a big Irish community. There's also a bit recognition of two of Arsenal's favourite sons - Liam Brady and David O'Leary. The club itself has no ties to Ireland.

Never once heard a remark or saw any problem with someone taking offence to it in years of living and going to games there. The main vibe being that everyone was together, regardless of their Union Jack, Tri-colour, French, Dutch or Ivorian flag, in supporting one club.

This in a city that suffered frequently from a bombing campaign lasting more than 20 years.

Seems a particularly Scottish thing to get so upset over anything resembling Ireland - be it culturally, politically or historically.

joe_hfc
23-11-2010, 07:25 PM

:agree: Tome we're as Scottish as the next person. My parents aren't scottish (my mother is actually Irish) but I'm Scottish.I don't go around celebrating my genetic routes - im as Scottish as it gets.Same with Hibs. Hibs are totally Scottish,why the hell celebrate the nation of those who founded it 100+ years ago! It's so bizare!!

sahib
23-11-2010, 08:30 PM
:agree: Tome we're as Scottish as the next person. My parents aren't scottish (my mother is actually Irish) but I'm Scottish.I don't go around celebrating my genetic routes - im as Scottish as it gets.Same with Hibs. Hibs are totally Scottish,why the hell celebrate the nation of those who founded it 100+ years ago! It's so bizare!!

I think you will find, that I am considerably more Scottish than you. :wink:

Jonnyboy
23-11-2010, 11:00 PM
I used to get really wound up at the huns and mini huns bringing UJ's to ER but I just don't care any more. Flags cause more debate on here than just about anything but when it gets down to it, does it really matter? I go to watch Hibs, not the oppo fans

Removed
23-11-2010, 11:36 PM
I used to get really wound up at the huns and mini huns bringing UJ's to ER but I just don't care any more. Flags cause more debate on here than just about anything but when it gets down to it, does it really matter? I go to watch Hibs, not the oppo fans

:agree: me too.

I'm told it's called maturity John http://www.forum.exscn.net/images/smilies/old.gif and I'm getting there too but sometimes I have been known to lapse http://www.forum.exscn.net/images/smilies/furious3.gif

Jonnyboy
23-11-2010, 11:45 PM
:agree: me too.

I'm told it's called maturity John http://www.forum.exscn.net/images/smilies/old.gif and I'm getting there too but sometimes I have been known to lapse http://www.forum.exscn.net/images/smilies/furious3.gif

:greengrin

Russian Hibs Fan
25-11-2010, 09:32 AM
The 4 flag flags are superb, should get them to more games. :agree: The ones with the tri-colour, saltire, erin go bragh and the hibs saltire. Represnting Hibernian F.C, past and present.

Always wanted one but couldnae tell ye what a sewing machine looks like let alone use one :greengrin

I like this flag most of all! :thumbsup::agree:

Russian Hibs Fan
25-11-2010, 09:39 AM

Come on! Even our name mean "Irish"! Or you d rather change the name of the club to "Scottish"? :bitchy:

Russian Hibs Fan
25-11-2010, 09:57 AM
We are a scottish/ british team through and through. .

NO!!!!!! :bitchy:

easty
25-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Come on! Even our name mean "Irish"! Or you d rather change the name of the club to "Scottish"? :bitchy:

Good one, what a great point you've made there.:confused:

MrSmith
25-11-2010, 11:53 AM
We are a Scottish club set-up by an Irish man with vision, love and compassion - real human qualities - this should never be forgotten! However, we should celebrate our unique history but not use it to participate in anything bigoted or sectarian.

I haven't checked lately but I'm sure the appropriate flags, in memory of our history, are flown on the South Stand.

joe_hfc
25-11-2010, 11:56 AM
NO!!!!!! :bitchy:

We are. We're certainly much much more british than Irish. Take of your tinted 'Hearts and rangers have UJ's so they're bad and mean and we're different than them so we're gonna hold our hears, shut our eyes and scream about being Irish until our face turns red and our nose bleeds green' specs off.

Dunbar Hibee
25-11-2010, 03:26 PM
We are a Scottish club set-up by an Irish man with vision, love and compassion - real human qualities - this should never be forgotten! However, we should celebrate our unique history but not use it to participate in anything bigoted or sectarian.

I haven't checked lately but I'm sure the appropriate flags, in memory of our history, are flown on the South Stand.

Who said anything about buying the flag to participate in anything bigoted or sectarian? Fuss over nothing ffs

Dashing Bob S
25-11-2010, 03:48 PM
A lot of this debate is about having a degree of trust and confidence in your fellow Hibs supporters. I've been going to ER for donkeys years and talked to many fans about badges, symbols and heritages etc. I've yet to meet either an anti-Irish bigot or a foaming at the mouth psuedo IRA supporter. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I've been fortunate to have been spared their company. Most Hibs fans I've met either feel that celebrating our Irish heritage associates us with Celtic/sectarianism/terrorism/anti-britishness or that appropriately doing so in fact distances ourselves from these elements. Most probably don't care one way or the other.

I've noticed that a lot of Hibs fans who were anti the Harp coming back have changed their view in light of the political changes over the years in Northern Ireland, and I count myself in their number. It hasn't led to us becoming a pseudo plastic Provo cell for cowards who get their jollies by proxy, and if I know Hibs fans, it never will and never could. Same for an Erin Go Bragh insignia/slogan.

MrSmith
25-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Who said anything about buying the flag to participate in anything bigoted or sectarian? Fuss over nothing ffs

Never said you were ffs!

the happy hibee
25-11-2010, 07:06 PM
JOE HFC I think you should just come out and say it that you hate the fact that we were made by irish people and say you wish we were never made by irish people because you seem to have a serious problem with that fact! now i find it sad you have a problem with that more than the people who want to celibrate that part of our history who you said were sad! :grr:

joe_hfc
25-11-2010, 11:02 PM
JOE HFC I think you should just come out and say it that you hate the fact that we were made by irish people and say you wish we were never made by irish people because you seem to have a serious problem with that fact! now i find it sad you have a problem with that more than the people who want to celibrate that part of our history who you said were sad! :grr:

I myself was made by 'Irish people', I live with 'Irish people' and I don't have any problem with 'Irish people' but if you think the boys who turn up at ER with tri colours etc are celebrating the footballing inspirations of Canon Hannon then you're nuts mate

Dunbar Hibee
26-11-2010, 12:35 AM
I myself was made by 'Irish people', I live with 'Irish people' and I don't have any problem with 'Irish people' but if you think the boys who turn up at ER with tri colours etc are celebrating the footballing inspirations of Canon Hannon then you're nuts mate

How on earth would you know?:confused:

Cabbage East
26-11-2010, 12:46 AM
Erin Go Bragh

Ernie Cobra
26-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Who's gonnae stop me???
why would i need luck?:confused:

HAHAHAHAHAHAA..............HA! One day i'll be big like you!!! If you have problems with the clubs heritage due to having served in the British Army i think you have political issues not footballing issues.

Not the first time i've seen you wading in with comments like that, The club is named after Ireland, the original badge is the Harp, we were formed in "little Ireland" albeit ini the cowgate by IRISHMEN.....We are a Scottish club, but i think you should perhaps read up on the persecution our founding fathers suffered in terms of being included into the scottish league. Also see Celtic trying to have us kicked out of the league on the grounds that we were Irish.

THAT IS THE CLUBS HISTORY / HERITAGE, doesn't / will never detract from the fact that we are a Scottish club playing in Scottish league, if you dont like Ireland/Irish people for political reasons that is your perogative, it will never alter the clubs foundations.

Erin Go Bragh!"! GGTTH

discman
26-11-2010, 12:52 PM

Been following this with some interest,my mother,her dad his dad and his dad all brought up in Candlemakers Row, all went to St pats it was afocal point for the local working class people,who also happened to be Irish catholics,thousands who enlisted in the Scots Guards/British army and died during world war 1

They had no problem about their identity,they saw themselves as working class people coming here for a better life and were prepared to intigrate into the community,though the community intially? werent happy to have them.

Even if I didnt have family ties with Hibs I would support them,because of their working class origins as I am sure,I think others do,its almost a feeling of moral superiority, we support the the underdogs,its almost a feeling that we have right on our side, I think most Hibs fans can distinguish someone wanting to wave a stick with a bit of cloth, and out and out bigotry or nationalism or just a genuine desire to say I remember where we come from, and if more appear when we play the jambos,sobeit,I also think we have a better sense of humour than them,and the more they froth the more we wave,its banter!

I dont support my team cos we have a nice green jersey, but for all of the above,
you should never forget your history as that defines who and what we are today,
and to finish I love being Scottish and support any team or individual who pulls on the blue jersey,and will continue to do so irrespective as to how they do....:greengrin

DAZ86
26-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Erin Go Bragh!

Stand up for what you believe in , Hibernain Football Club and our heritage , what it means to be a Hibs man , if a flag helps you do that then good on you.

Ernie Cobra
26-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Been following this with some interest,my mother,her dad his dad and his dad all brought up in Candlemakers Row, all went to St pats it was afocal point for the local working class people,who also happened to be Irish catholics,thousands who enlisted in the Scots Guards/British army and died during world war 1

They had no problem about their identity,they saw themselves as working class people coming here for a better life and were prepared to intigrate into the community,though the community intially? werent happy to have them.

Even if I didnt have family ties with Hibs I would support them,because of their working class origins as I am sure,I think others do,its almost a feeling of moral superiority, we support the the underdogs,its almost a feeling that we have right on our side, I think most Hibs fans can distinguish someone wanting to wave a stick with a bit of cloth, and out and out bigotry or nationalism or just a genuine desire to say I remember where we come from, and if more appear when we play the jambos,sobeit,I also think we have a better sense of humour than them,and the more they froth the more we wave,its banter!

I dont support my team cos we have a nice green jersey, but for all of the above,
you should never forget your history as that defines who and what we are today,
and to finish I love being Scottish and support any team or individual who pulls on the blue jersey,and will continue to do so irrespective as to how they do....:greengrin

i Read that thenjumped up on my desk and shouted "THATS RIGHT, THATS IT RIGHT THERE IN A NUTSHELL, EUREKA, GIRFUY,GIEFUY IT WAS A VICKY THE VIKING MOMENT"

100 per****incent

Keith_M
26-11-2010, 03:17 PM
i Read that thenjumped up on my desk and shouted "THATS RIGHT, THATS IT RIGHT THERE IN A NUTSHELL, EUREKA, GIRFUY,GIEFUY IT WAS A VICKY THE VIKING MOMENT"

100 per****incent

What do your colleagues think about you now? Or have they always thought you were a nutter?

:wink:

Vini1875
26-11-2010, 03:25 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAA..............HA! One day i'll be big like you!!! If you have problems with the clubs heritage due to having served in the British Army i think you have political issues not footballing issues.

Not the first time i've seen you wading in with comments like that, The club is named after Ireland, the original badge is the Harp, we were formed in "little Ireland" albeit ini the cowgate by IRISHMEN.....We are a Scottish club, but i think you should perhaps read up on the persecution our founding fathers suffered in terms of being included into the scottish league. Also see Celtic trying to have us kicked out of the league on the grounds that we were Irish.

THAT IS THE CLUBS HISTORY / HERITAGE, doesn't / will never detract from the fact that we are a Scottish club playing in Scottish league, if you dont like Ireland/Irish people for political reasons that is your perogative, it will never alter the clubs foundations.

Erin Go Bragh!"! GGTTH

'd be interested to know where you got that from

Joe Baker II
26-11-2010, 03:34 PM
A lot of this debate is about having a degree of trust and confidence in your fellow Hibs supporters. I've been going to ER for donkeys years and talked to many fans about badges, symbols and heritages etc. I've yet to meet either an anti-Irish bigot or a foaming at the mouth psuedo IRA supporter. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I've been fortunate to have been spared their company. Most Hibs fans I've met either feel that celebrating our Irish heritage associates us with Celtic/sectarianism/terrorism/anti-britishness or that appropriately doing so in fact distances ourselves from these elements. Most probably don't care one way or the other.

I've noticed that a lot of Hibs fans who were anti the Harp coming back have changed their view in light of the political changes over the years in Northern Ireland, and I count myself in their number. It hasn't led to us becoming a pseudo plastic Provo cell for cowards who get their jollies by proxy, and if I know Hibs fans, it never will and never could. Same for an Erin Go Bragh insignia/slogan.

Have heard several opposing players called Irish bxxxds by fans in Hibs areas of ER including Morris, Nicholl, Lennon, McGeady, Kirk and even Michael O'Neill - realise one comment does not make people anti-Irish bigots but have to accept sadly are some in the Hibs support

The terms the IRA and the Provos are not synonymous btw.

Ernie Cobra
26-11-2010, 07:41 PM
'd be interested to know where you got that from

and if you know your history, it's enough to make your heart go...........

Is borders books or waterstones still open these days?

Ernie Cobra
26-11-2010, 07:49 PM
What do your colleagues think about you now? Or have they always thought you were a nutter?

:wink:
Jumping on the table is accepted and all but expected of me, it wasn't until i whipped down the tweeds and revealed the tattoo of a harp on my arse that eyebrows were raised.

I must take down the erin go bragh banner as you enter my office

adhibs
26-11-2010, 08:28 PM
anyone claiming were nothing more than a scotish club need to stop kidding themselves on. If your ashamed to be connected to the people the club was formed for, like it appears a few are, theres a *****y wee Scottish club in gorgie for you. The more flags reflecting our roots at easter road the better.

adhibs
26-11-2010, 08:31 PM
We are. We're certainly much much more british than Irish.

thats nonsense. kidd yourself on however much you want. How can a club formed for irish men be more british than irish. would a scottish pub in spain be more spanish than scottish

marinello59
26-11-2010, 08:39 PM
thats nonsense. kidd yourself on however much you want. How can a club formed for irish men be more british than irish. would a scottish pub in spain be more spanish than scottish

Surely you could view Hibs as a really good mixture. It can be a bit of Scottish, Irish and British. Mix n'match according to your own taste. :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
26-11-2010, 09:09 PM

It would be accountable to Spain and their legal system, not Scotland or Britain.

I contributed to a thread that went along the same sort of lines to this one a couple of weeks ago so I don't intend to say too much on here.

All I will say is that I completely agree with everything that joe_hfc has said on this thread. We are a Scottish club, not Irish, and our roots are appropriately celebrated as things stand, in the fact that we play in green strips, our badge includes a harp on it and our name means "Ireland".

Antifa Hibs
26-11-2010, 09:25 PM
We have one of the finest stories in football about how and why we were formed, the nonsense our founders faced and what they done for their community, to were we are now.

Yet some people want to forget that, really really strange. I thought the anti-Irishness was left to a few dafties along the road in the PBS.

FranckSuzy
26-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Surely you could view Hibs as a really good mixture. It can be a bit of Scottish, Irish and British. Mix n'match according to your own taste. :thumbsup:

:agree: :top marks

the happy hibee
26-11-2010, 09:29 PM
It would be accountable to Spain and their legal system, not Scotland or Britain.

I contributed to a thread that went along the same sort of lines to this one a couple of weeks ago so I don't intend to say too much on here.

All I will say is that I completely agree with everything that joe_hfc has said on this thread. We are a Scottish club, not Irish, and our roots are appropriately celebrated as things stand, in the fact that we play in green strips, our badge includes a harp on it and our name means "Ireland".
So you agree with him that we are more british than irish?

Dashing Bob S
26-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Have heard several opposing players called Irish bxxxds by fans in Hibs areas of ER including Morris, Nicholl, Lennon, McGeady, Kirk and even Michael O'Neill - realise one comment does not make people anti-Irish bigots but have to accept sadly are some in the Hibs support

The terms the IRA and the Provos are not synonymous btw.

Didn't realise i'd implied that they were, wasn't my intent to do so.

Judas Iscariot
26-11-2010, 09:31 PM
We have one of the finest stories in football about how and why we were formed, the nonsense our founders faced and what they done for their community, to were we are now.

Yet some people want to forget that, really really strange. I thought the anti-Irishness was left to a few dafties along the road in the PBS.

:agree::top marks

the happy hibee
26-11-2010, 09:41 PM

Couldnt agree with you more mate! :top marks

Judas Iscariot
26-11-2010, 10:25 PM
http://triton.imageshack.us/Himg442/scaled.php?server=442&filename=imageorj.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480

lyonhibs
26-11-2010, 10:38 PM

So if folk want to get a few "Erin go Bragh" flags, that's too far and "inappropriately celebrating" our roots?? :confused: Don't get me wrong, the pissed-up eejits who dust off the Irish flag for the trip to Tynecastle aren't doing so to celebrate Canon Hannan's fantastic efforts in Little Ireland, but I think the relatively few people who take Irish flags on a regular basis do so cos either a) they originate (or have close ties to) Ireland themselves or because they genuinely want to display their respect for the native country of our founders.

It's not my cup of tea, because I'm old before my time and just go to Hibs games to sit and grump with my mates :greengrin.

And in response to the OP, which has unsurprisingly been forgotten about amongst all this bluster, I hope you get your flag for the right reasons and display it with pride :agree::agree:

hibsdaft
26-11-2010, 11:16 PM
anyone claiming were nothing more than a scotish club need to stop kidding themselves on. If your ashamed to be connected to the people the club was formed for, like it appears a few are, theres a *****y wee Scottish club in gorgie for you. The more flags reflecting our roots at easter road the better.

:top marks

ERIN GO BRAGH.

The Harp Awakes
26-11-2010, 11:49 PM

Every Clubs fans I know of seem to celebrate their heritage and there founders but somehow a minority of Hibs fans seem to be ashamed of it or like to ignore it.

Perhaps the same Scottish 'establishment' psyche lives on today in some Hibs supporters which existed widely in Scotland 135 years ago when our founders fought bravely to be treated like human beings:dunno:

Sir David Gray
27-11-2010, 12:31 AM
So you agree with him that we are more british than irish?

I think that, more than anything else, we are a Scottish club, but since Scotland is part of Great Britain, of course I think we are more British than Irish.

I am not Irish, I have absolutely no affinity with Ireland and I just do not understand why anyone would want to wave the flag of another country.

We play in the Scottish league, our stadium is located in the capital of Scotland, our manager is Scottish and the vast majority of our fans and players are Scottish as well. The Hibernian of 1875 is quite different to the Hibernian of 2010. I have never said that we shouldn't recognise our history and what we used to be but I just don't think it needs to be overplayed.

So if folk want to get a few "Erin go Bragh" flags, that's too far and "inappropriately celebrating" our roots?? :confused: Don't get me wrong, the pissed-up eejits who dust off the Irish flag for the trip to Tynecastle aren't doing so to celebrate Canon Hannan's fantastic efforts in Little Ireland, but I think the relatively few people who take Irish flags on a regular basis do so cos either a) they originate (or have close ties to) Ireland themselves or because they genuinely want to display their respect for the native country of our founders.

It's not my cup of tea, because I'm old before my time and just go to Hibs games to sit and grump with my mates :greengrin.

And in response to the OP, which has unsurprisingly been forgotten about amongst all this bluster, I hope you get your flag for the right reasons and display it with pride :agree::agree:

Folk can do whatever they want. I have never said that they shouldn't be allowed to bring Irish related flags with them to Easter Road and I would certainly never try to stop someone from displaying an Irish flag near me. All I'm saying is that I just don't get why someone feels the need to wave an Irish tricolour or a flag with the phrase "Ireland forever" on it. To answer your question directly, yes I do believe that is going too far in celebrating our roots.

I never have and never will understand why people do it, but that's just me.

Titch
27-11-2010, 01:13 AM

Erin Go Bragh!"! GGTTH

:yawn: really couldnt give a s..t who formed us or where they were from and dont care much for ireland either

MrSmith
27-11-2010, 01:43 AM
I think that there is a lot lost in translation! 'Erin Go Bragh' is defined as follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Go_Bragh

So, for me, how could any Scottish person pledge their allegiance to Ireland?

This is where I take issue and truly believe that some folk actually don't know what it means but they are so willing to coin the phrase and fly the flag without realising the national/historical significance.

Erin Go Bragh Lyrics:

I'll tell you a story of a row in the town,
When the green flag went up and the Crown rag came down,
'Twas the neatest and sweetest thing ever you saw,
And they played the best games played in Erin Go Bragh.

One of our comrades was down at Ring's end,
For the honor of Ireland to hold and defend,
He had no veteran soldiers but volunteers raw,
Playing sweet Mauser music for Erin Go Bragh.

Now here's to Pat Pearse and our comrades who died
Tom Clark, MacDonagh, MacDiarmada, McBryde,
And here's to James Connolly who gave one hurrah,
And placed the machine guns for Erin Go Bragh.

One brave English captain was ranting that day,
Saying, "Give me one hour and I'll blow you away,"
But a big Mauser bullet got stuck in his craw,
And he died of lead poisoning in Erin Go Bragh.

Old Ceannt and his comrades like lions at bay,
From the South Dublin Union poured death and dismay,
And what was their horror when the Englishmen saw
All the dead khaki soldiers in Erin Go Bragh.

Now here's to old Dublin, and here's her renown,
In the long generation her fame will go down,
And our children will tell how their forefathers saw,
The red blaze of freedom in Erin Go Braugh.

The Harp Awakes
27-11-2010, 01:54 AM
I think that there is a lot lost in translation! 'Erin Go Bragh' is defined as follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Go_Bragh

So, for me, how could any Scottish person pledge their allegiance to Ireland?

This is where I take issue and truly believe that some folk actually don't know what it means but they are so willing to coin the phrase and fly the flag without realising the national/historical significance.

Erin Go Bragh Lyrics:

I'll tell you a story of a row in the town,
When the green flag went up and the Crown rag came down,
'Twas the neatest and sweetest thing ever you saw,
And they played the best games played in Erin Go Bragh.

One of our comrades was down at Ring's end,
For the honor of Ireland to hold and defend,
He had no veteran soldiers but volunteers raw,
Playing sweet Mauser music for Erin Go Bragh.

Now here's to Pat Pearse and our comrades who died
Tom Clark, MacDonagh, MacDiarmada, McBryde,
And here's to James Connolly who gave one hurrah,
And placed the machine guns for Erin Go Bragh.

One brave English captain was ranting that day,
Saying, "Give me one hour and I'll blow you away,"
But a big Mauser bullet got stuck in his craw,
And he died of lead poisoning in Erin Go Bragh.

Old Ceannt and his comrades like lions at bay,
From the South Dublin Union poured death and dismay,
And what was their horror when the Englishmen saw
All the dead khaki soldiers in Erin Go Bragh.

Now here's to old Dublin, and here's her renown,
In the long generation her fame will go down,
And our children will tell how their forefathers saw,
The red blaze of freedom in Erin Go Braugh.

And to add in some balance (from wikipedia itself):

My name's Duncan Campbell from the shire of Argyll
I've travelled this country for many's the mile
I've travelled through Ireland, Scotland and a'
And the name I go under's bold Erin-go-bragh
One night in Auld Reekie as I walked down the street
A saucy big polis I chanced for to meet
He glowered in my face and he gi'ed me some jaw
Sayin' "When cam' ye over, bold Erin-go-bragh?" ”
—19th Century Scottish song,

The Scots originally came from Ireland a good few centuries ago after all:wink:

hibee_nation
27-11-2010, 02:10 AM
http://triton.imageshack.us/Himg442/scaled.php?server=442&filename=imageorj.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480

Erin So Brash. I wish these tattoo artists would just make it plain what you want written. Nice sentiment but looks pash.

hibee_nation
27-11-2010, 02:21 AM

The most pro English anti catholic clan in Scotland, never trust those bams from Inveraray. Good shinty team though. :tin hat:

Storar
27-11-2010, 02:56 AM
There's alot of misconceptions here and alot of people putting words into other peoples mouths.

I personally couldn't care less about the nationality of the men who founded our football team. I started supporting Hibernian as a boy growing up on Easter Road and they were always going to be my team. We could have been founded by Greek Mormons but that would have made no difference to the fact that I was going to support Hibs.
I'm completely greatful for Edward Hannon and Michael Whelahan for giving us the best club in Scotland and I think they should be remembered and honoured for that as much as possible.
By all means be grateful and respectful to our origins but remember that our origins started in Scotlands capital city and have remained there for over 130 years. It's completely unnecessary for people in 2010 to continue this display of false allegiance and pride to the country that these men born in.
I think people should show a bit more pride to the country that our club comes from rather than the country that it's founders were born in (and left).

I do realise that even though I've clearly pointed out that nationality and ethnicy does not concern me one bit, there will still be somebody who'll come along and call me an anti Irish bigot

hibee_nation
27-11-2010, 03:06 AM
There's alot of misconceptions here and alot of people putting words into other peoples mouths.

I personally couldn't care less about the nationality of the men who founded our football team. I started supporting Hibernian as a boy growing up on Easter Road and they were always going to be my team. We could have been founded by Greek Mormons but that would have made no difference to the fact that I was going to support Hibs.
I'm completely greatful for Edward Hannon and Michael Whelahan for giving us the best club in Scotland and I think they should be remembered and honoured for that as much as possible.
By all means be grateful and respectful to our origins but remember that our origins started in Scotlands capital city and have remained there for over 130 years. It's completely unnecessary for people in 2010 to continue this display of false allegiance and pride to the country that these men born in.
I think people should show a bit more pride to the country that our club comes from rather than the country that it's founders were born in (and left).

I do realise that even though I've clearly pointed out that nationality and ethnicy does not concern me one bit, there will still be somebody who'll come along and call me an anti Irish bigot

To be honest the history of the club you support should be irrelevant unless your family dictate otherwise. I support an Edinburgh team as that is where my family were brought up eg Albert Street. My dad was a Hibbie and so am I, his wee brother was a Jambo and his kids are Jambos surprise surprise. I know i have a moral superiority over them and don't rub it in but where is religion supposed to kick in, i feel i should be told. ps it's after 3 now so less credence, don't be cruel.

Dunbar Hibee
27-11-2010, 03:41 AM

Top post mate.

MrSmith
27-11-2010, 08:58 AM

You'll need to check you're information re that statemen - completely wrong! :P

The Harp Awakes
27-11-2010, 10:54 AM
You'll need to check you're information re that statemen - completely wrong! :P

Eh?

The Scots of Dalriada crossed from Ireland to Kintyre in Scotland and established a new kingdom in Argyll. The first mention of Scots in Scotland occurs in 258 AD in Roman writings, although the first settlement probably occurred much earlier. There was probably enmity between this group and the Pictish tribes. Some Irish legends tell of a battle in the fifth century which was won by the Picts.

As in:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/history_scotland/74642

MrSmith
27-11-2010, 11:51 AM
That is part of it but not the first. The indigenous inhabitants of Scotland started off very central moving North then North West and establishing community or tribes. Legend and lack of historical data had them known as the Cult of the Catt or 'Cat people of Scotland' predates the Irish settlement.. I'm still looking for the book so when I get clearer info I'll re-post.

Sorry for being a bit vague but I will get the info.

Ah, see where you are going with that now. Yes it would appear I'm wrong in terms of the first Scots not the first people of our land.

The Harp
27-11-2010, 12:49 PM
All this from a simple straight forward question of where an Erin Go Bragh flag could be purchased!!!
What is it wi' Hibs fans and flag debates? :rolleyes:

Dunbar Hibee
27-11-2010, 01:06 PM
:yawn: really couldnt give a s..t who formed us or where they were from and dont care much for ireland either

Well that's sad. You should give a **** who formed us and where they were from as if it wasn't for them there would be no Hibernian FC.

MrSmith
27-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Well that's sad. You should give a **** who formed us and where they were from as if it wasn't for them there would be no Hibernian FC.

But by the Same token...if it wasn't for Hearts, Tom Farmers Great Granddad and Tom Farmer himself - there would be no Hibs either!

easty
27-11-2010, 02:12 PM
But by the Same token...if it wasn't for Hearts, Tom Farmers Great Granddad and Tom Farmer himself - there would be no Hibs either!

Which is why I've got an order in for a Green and White Saltire with a huge photo of Tom Farmers face in the middle on custom order now. Got to celebrate the club and all that.

easty
27-11-2010, 02:15 PM

I don't see it as anti-irishness. More genericism to the Irishness and pro-Scottish.

Ernie Cobra
27-11-2010, 04:52 PM

well thats that then.

You dont care much for Ireland, again nothing to do with football or indeed our heirtage, just based on politics or perhaps your chosen proffession.

Have you ever sung the song for it's a grand auld team to play for, if you plan on doing so in the future, dont choke on the "and if you know your history", clearly its enough to make your heart go......well something different!!

Erin Go Bragh GGTTH

Titch
27-11-2010, 07:27 PM
well thats that then.

You dont care much for Ireland, again nothing to do with football or indeed our heirtage, just based on politics or perhaps your chosen proffession.

Have you ever sung the song for it's a grand auld team to play for, if you plan on doing so in the future, dont choke on the "and if you know your history", clearly its enough to make your heart go......well something different!!

Erin Go Bragh GGTTH

I get the feeling your trying to wind me up?
I have sung the song and will continue to do so i know our history but dont care about ireland either way
if the country disappeared off the map i wouldnt bat an eyelid nothing to do with politics or my chosen profession the same could be said for ANY other country other than scotland

marinello59
27-11-2010, 10:24 PM
I get the feeling your trying to wind me up?
I have sung the song and will continue to do so i know our history but dont care about ireland either way
if the country disappeared off the map i wouldnt bat an eyelid nothing to do with politics or my chosen profession the same could be said for ANY other country other than scotland

Nobody is trying to wind you up Tich. There is a place for all viewpoints here. The only right way is to follow the Hibs, motivation for doing so is secondary mate.:thumbsup: