PDA

View Full Version : Greggs petrie to celtic

CRAZYHIBBY
15-11-2010, 05:45 PM
celtic will be attempting to lure petrie to park head within the next week..........you heard it here first

Since90+2
15-11-2010, 05:46 PM
celtic will be attempting to lure petrie to park head within the next week..........you heard it here first

For what position?

ancienthibby
15-11-2010, 05:47 PM

On the basis of Lawwell going to L'Pool??:rolleyes::bye::yawn:

Phil D. Rolls
15-11-2010, 05:47 PM

It was on the PM board yesterday.

Sammy7nil
15-11-2010, 05:48 PM
LENNON SACKED :confused:

Petrie will be terrible manager all players will have Tashes :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
Oops, no it wasn't. Anyway, I heard this from a bloke in the pub last week.

Diclonius
If this is true.. **** off, Celtic. Just **** off. I'm sick fed up of that ****ing club. :grr:

Iggy Pope
15-11-2010, 05:58 PM
If this is true.. **** off, Celtic. Just **** off. I'm sick fed up of that ****ing club. :grr:

Me too.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
15-11-2010, 06:01 PM

I thought Petrie has a considerable stake holding in Hibs (5% / 10% ???).
How would that sit with the SPL if he were to take up an influencial position with the shellick?

Phil D. Rolls
15-11-2010, 06:04 PM

Me too.

Rirrum!

Mike_C
15-11-2010, 06:08 PM
If true, it won't be the first approach from Celtic. Source: recent sponsor who told me months ago.

stubru59
15-11-2010, 06:09 PM
If true, I rather doubt many of us will lose sleep over it.

HibeeMcGinn1
15-11-2010, 06:13 PM

explain

Woody1985
15-11-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm sure he'd have to sell his stake in Hibs if that were the case.

matty_f
15-11-2010, 06:23 PM
It's not true. Petrie will never work with Celtc, in fact Petrie once poured a glass of red wine over Celtc's head.

FACT.

Toaods
15-11-2010, 06:26 PM
It's true, I saw him on a 26 bus on London Road.

sesoim
15-11-2010, 06:28 PM
I doubt this story, but even if it's true, it certainly isn't the end of the world. Petrie has been a good sensible money man for us, but he doesn't know his football. I'm sure there are plenty of other financially minded guys out there who could do the same job, and with a bit more football knowledge, maybe better.

Woody1985
15-11-2010, 06:33 PM
over celtic's head?:confused:

Over your head. Whooooshhhh! :greengrin

Removed
15-11-2010, 06:34 PM
over celtic's head?:confused:

Or over yours :dunno:

:greengrin

marinello59
15-11-2010, 06:35 PM

It's true. Lennon has the Celtic youth team players laying a trail of two pence pieces from Petrie's house to Parkhead,

Westie1875
15-11-2010, 06:36 PM
It's not true. Petrie will never work with Celtc, in fact Petrie once poured a glass of red wine over Celtc's head.

FACT.

:tee hee: :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
15-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Lawwell's jaiket defo on a shoogly one :hmmm:

Jim44
15-11-2010, 06:40 PM
I doubt this story, but even if it's true, it certainly isn't the end of the world. Petrie has been a good sensible money man for us, but he doesn't know his football. I'm sure there are plenty of other financially minded guys out there who could do the same job, and with a bit more football knowledge, maybe better.

Don't forget, Jim Duffy taught Petrie everything he knows about football. :greengrin

basehibby
15-11-2010, 06:52 PM

They can GTF - they can't afford Petrie - they huvnie got enough poppy :bitchy: :bye:

wazoo1875
15-11-2010, 06:52 PM

FACT.

Comedy gold :-)

Hibbyradge
15-11-2010, 06:55 PM
There could be something in this.

"Mister Rod Petrie" is an anagram for "Impede Terrorist".

Kaiser1962
15-11-2010, 06:55 PM
I was told that Petrie was "unofficially sounded out" about moving to Celtic Park after Crozier left and that he was the preferred choice of their board. However it never came to anything. They apparently "expected" that Rod would jump at the chance to move to Celtic and were a bit non-plussed when they were given no encouragement. They returned again when Lawwell was earmarked to go to Arsenal a couple of years ago but again it never came to anything so it wasnt tested at that time. However, if they feel they can railroad Rod into anything or put him under pressure they have no idea who they're dealing with.

stubru59
15-11-2010, 07:04 PM
explain

He's over-rated.

Elephant Stone
15-11-2010, 07:06 PM
He's over-rated.

Nice explanation:rolleyes:

scoopyboy
15-11-2010, 07:10 PM
I have no doubt he would get a good price for us, he always does.

Sprouleflyer
15-11-2010, 07:14 PM
They can have him for £2M plus a player....maybe Stokes!!!

blindsummit
15-11-2010, 07:21 PM
For what position?

He's got the stongest superglue to seal the biscuit tin shut.

Removed
15-11-2010, 07:21 PM
He's over-rated.

:faf:

DarlingtonHibee
15-11-2010, 07:35 PM
He's over-rated.

Perhaps you would be good enough to share with us your professional experience / expectation's on a succesul senior manger running a multi million turnover business ?

Green_one
15-11-2010, 07:47 PM
No-one has yet explained how RP gets rid of his holding in Hibs.

I cannot believe he will be allowed to hold a managment role in one club and own part of another.

If not then who is he going to sell that quality of share to without losing a wad of cash? Petrie losing cash - does not really work does it. :confused:

Until someone can explain this, then the whole thing is a pointless rumour.

Unless they convince him about the fabled Buscuit Tin of Parkhead. The wealth of ages is held within.

Bostonhibby
15-11-2010, 07:51 PM
It's true. Lennon has the Celtic youth team players laying a trail of two pence pieces from Petrie's house to Parkhead,

It is true, but I thought it was the old fiver on the end of a fishing line trick :confused:

HibeeMcGinn1
15-11-2010, 08:13 PM
He's over-rated.

Yeh you are right. He has helped us into possibly the best financial state this club has ever seen and also the best financial state in the league, got ourselfs a new stand in a recession for next to nothing, a state of the art training complex for a small price, makes a profit on most players sold from the club (alothough not the most popular moves) but yeh he's over rated.

lucky
15-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Bit on the news tonight about John Reid leaving. Its there agm on Thursday. In football you just never know. The Tache has done wonders for and our finances as such would be sorely missed.

George Clooney
15-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Perhaps you would be good enough to share with us your professional experience / expectation's on a succesul senior manger running a multi million turnover business ?

We shouldn't fall in to the trap of over exagerating the size of a business like Hibs.
The fact is that even a small supermarket has a much bigger annual turnover than Hibs and will employ just as many people.
I think any half decent business man could be a successful football club CEO, especially if he is not a crooked money launderer or is not a supporter of the team he's employed by.
It would be interesting to see Rod in charge at Pittodrie to check this theory.

Bostonhibby
15-11-2010, 08:18 PM
He's over-rated.

You're right, I don't even think its a real moustache.

Peevemor
15-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I'd be very surprised if Petrie went to Celtic. He doesn't need the money and wouldn't welcome the attention. On top of that, I reckon that Hibs are far more than a job to him.

Pedantic_Hibee
15-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Rod Petrie is the poster boy for Movember. We can't lose him.

.Sean.
15-11-2010, 08:30 PM
He's over-rated.
Explain

Danderhall Hibs
15-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Explain

Could you explain how he's not?

new malkyhib
15-11-2010, 08:33 PM
...just so long as he put in a decent sell-on clause for himself if he moved on again, then he'd go with our blessing I hope, as every CEO has got his price. :wink:

Selling himself would be the final irony, I think...

brydekirk
15-11-2010, 08:34 PM

me too, **** off celic :take that

essexhibee
15-11-2010, 08:35 PM
He's overrated?
Funniest comment of the night.

weecounty hibby
15-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Don't see what he would gain by moving to them, other than a larger salary.
What he would have to put up with though would be, endless grief for not being "Celtic Minded". Having to put up with the bigotted kid-on Irishness more than four times a season. Listening to Neil Lennons constant whinging and having to defend it rather than thinking what a prick, like the rest of us. Never being able to walk about in public without being abused by Huns and even some Celtic fans if things are going badly.
Having to blame, SFA/SPl/refs/masons/press/police/government for all of Celtics shortcomings.

I hope he stays at ER, and think he will, but as has been mentioned I think we could replace him if he did go.

Kaiser1962
15-11-2010, 08:53 PM
So how come so many clubs are basically bust then if its so easy?

We shouldn't fall in to the trap of over exagerating the size of a business like Hibs.
The fact is that even a small supermarket has a much bigger annual turnover than Hibs and will employ just as many people.
I think any half decent business man could be a successful football club CEO, especially if he is not a crooked money launderer or is not a supporter of the team he's employed by.

Danderhall Hibs
15-11-2010, 08:59 PM
So how come so many clubs are basically bust then if its so easy?

'cos they're not run by half decent businessmen? :greengrin

If you look at the figures it doesn't seem a difficult job on the face of it does it? He sold the land to clear half the debt, then was fortunate to have GOC, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Murphy, Jones, Sproule, Stokes etc to sell and clear most of the rest and use some to get a training centre and a stand.

I'm sure I could've done that. It'll get more difficult now that we've not really got any players worth any money to clear the losses. And even at that his negotiating skills took a dip recently when we only got £1.2m for Stokes.

Lofarl
15-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Well on Kerryfail street they are linking Ian bankier with the role

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/news/bankier.php

I cant see the smellies getting the Tash. Saving money and making a profit aint the sellic way.

Kaiser1962
15-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Hearts have brought in more in transfer fees than Hibs in the same period have they not?:greengrin
I think we truly underestimate how difficult the job is and you only have to look around you at other clubs, not only in Scotland, to realise this.

If you look at the figures it doesn't seem a difficult job on the face of it does it? He sold the land to clear half the debt, then was fortunate to have GOC, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Murphy, Jones, Sproule, Stokes etc to sell and clear most of the rest and use some to get a training centre and a stand.

I'm sure I could've done that. It'll get more difficult now that we've not really got any players worth any money to clear the losses. And even at that his negotiating skills took a dip recently when we only got £1.2m for Stokes.

marinello59
15-11-2010, 09:13 PM
You're right, I don't even think its a real moustache.

It is so a real moustache.
It just isn't his. He nicked it.

ballengeich
15-11-2010, 09:22 PM

You mean he might be Celtic-minded?

Kaiser1962
15-11-2010, 09:34 PM

I think we should seek "clarification" of the tache issue.

oregonhibby
15-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Can't see it, he and the principal shareholder are joined at the hip.

Part/Time Supporter
15-11-2010, 10:33 PM

The phrase "easier said than done" comes to mind.

Danderhall Hibs
15-11-2010, 10:35 PM
The phrase "easier said than done" comes to mind.

Most of the players listed were never going to be staying at Hibs so it can hardly be put down to a stroke of genius to get some money for them. Same goes for selling the land.

oregonhibby
15-11-2010, 10:40 PM
It's a conspiracy!

Half decent businessman needed for a half decent club!

If it were so easy everyone would be doing it.

greenlex
15-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Most of the players listed were never going to be staying at Hibs so it can hardly be put down to a stroke of genius to get some money for them. Same goes for selling the land.
Youre right. We would be in a far superior place without him. We should actually pay Celtic to take him tgen everyones mind can rest easy.

Danderhall Hibs
15-11-2010, 10:45 PM
It's a conspiracy!

Half decent businessman needed for a half decent club!

If it were so easy everyone would be doing it.

Does every club have £10m worth of buckshee land lying about and a "golden generation" to punt though?

Danderhall Hibs
15-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Youre right. We would be in a far superior place without him. We should actually pay Celtic to take him tgen everyones mind can rest easy.

I reckon we'd be in a similar place. The players would still have been sold and a different CEO would likely have done 2+2 and sold the land as well.

He's been competent in his job but for folk to be laughing folk off the board because they don't agree he's CEO of the year is ridiculous.

--------
15-11-2010, 10:53 PM
No-one has yet explained how RP gets rid of his holding in Hibs.

I cannot believe he will be allowed to hold a managment role in one club and own part of another.

If not then who is he going to sell that quality of share to without losing a wad of cash? Petrie losing cash - does not really work does it. :confused:

Until someone can explain this, then the whole thing is a pointless rumour.

Unless they convince him about the fabled Buscuit Tin of Parkhead. The wealth of ages is held within.

Thgat would seem to be the nub of the matter. Like you, I don't see Rod Petrie being allowed to hold shares in Hibernian while acting as a senior manager at Celtic.

But even supposing it all happens - are STF and the board incapable of head-hunting a replacement? Or would this be the window to bring in a new investor? And possibly a change of direction - away from consolidating the infrastructure to developing the team and the business more dynamically?

But right now I just can't see it happening - not on the information available.

IWasThere2016
15-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Danderhall's spot on IMHO. RP ain't all that.

The debt we owe is to STF - no one else.

aberhibsfc
15-11-2010, 11:08 PM

******* :top marks

bighairyfaeleith
16-11-2010, 04:50 AM
Two things working against celtc here, money and STF. Remember Petrie is good mates with STF and Petrie also makes some good dough with hibs. Celtic could probably afford a bit more but would that be worth working at parkhead??

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-11-2010, 05:44 AM

You mean it used to be the tache his father wore? wouldnae go down well at CP!

Hibbyradge
16-11-2010, 06:00 AM
Rod Petrie has a reputation throughout Scottish, if not UK, football, for being a shrewd operator and a tough negotiator.

Yes, there were players to sell, but it was he who held out for the prices, and add ons, that we got. e.g. We just picked up an extra £2.5m for Steven Fletcher. As an add on!!

Has anyone on here ever negotiated multi-million pound sales with agents and other football CEO's? It's that easy, most folk I know would rather pay more in a "proper shop" than barter at a Sunday market!

He took the tough decisions on spending which have seen this club move from critical to envied. Have a look around.

He's done a fine job, but what apreciation does he get from fellow us?

"He's not all that" etc etc.

You're never a prophet in your own land.

oregonhibby
16-11-2010, 06:35 AM
Does every club have £10m worth of buckshee land lying about and a "golden generation" to punt though?

Does any Club have someone (McCann apart) who turned round a Club around that didn't own the land following Mercergate to one that has around £25m of assets in the form of a completed stadium and a training centre. That just doesn't happen on its own. It needs someone (or Board) to make it happen. The Club bought the land back (first mortgage) it wasn't lying around either.

Green_one
16-11-2010, 06:56 AM
Does any Club have someone (McCann apart) who turned round a Club around that didn't own the land following Mercergate to one that has around £25m of assets in the form of a completed stadium and a training centre. That just doesn't happen on its own. It needs someone (or Board) to make it happen. The Club bought the land back (first mortgage) it wasn't lying around either.

Sorry, the land situation is down to Sir Tom Farmer and not RP. IMHO.

STF also underwrote the stadium developments. You can have any opinion you like about Petrie but the guy who has most impacted Hibs recent history is STF.

marinello59
16-11-2010, 07:02 AM

STF also underwrote the stadium developments. You can have any opinion you like about Petrie but the guy who has most impacted Hibs recent history is STF.

It's Derek Riordan for me.

Cropley10
16-11-2010, 07:08 AM

How dare you speak about our Chairman like that!

Viva_Palmeiras
16-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Two things working against celtc here, money and STF. Remember Petrie is good mates with STF and Petrie also makes some good dough with hibs. Celtic could probably afford a bit more but would that be worth working at parkhead??

Just think of the overheads for a start - "mister goany gies us a fiver taw look aiftir yer car!"

Kaiser1962
16-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Just think of the overheads for a start - "mister goany gies us a fiver taw look aiftir yer car!"

Lawwell got paid £740k compared to Rod's £106k

JackRegan
16-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Martin Bain aside, anyone but Lawwell.

Wonder how Petrie would handle the step up in class right enough :confused:

Wheat Hound
16-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Aye, good one. Size maybe but Ann Widdecombe has more class in her left foot bunion Than Celtc have ever had.

Kaiser1962
16-11-2010, 07:58 AM

He dosent need the step up in grief.

And this is one Hibs employee you wont tempt west with your offers of gold. :wink:

MB62
16-11-2010, 08:00 AM
IMO,

R.P is responsible for turning the club around into its present solid financial footing, as he was employed to do by STF. Off the park, there is not a better run club in the country than Hibernian. However, R.P. was fortunate that we had produced, at a crucial time financially, some of the best and most sellable young players that possibly this country has produced in a many a year, and they were in demand. At the time of the sale of Katy and then Broonaldo, it was J.C. (and not R.P) who demanded we hold out for the money we eventually got, and R.P. backed him up his judgement that we could get the price J.C. thought these players were worth, which was proved right in the end.

All of the pats on the back that R.P. is getting, probably justifiably, has come at a price ON the park, and maybe, just maybe, now that everything is in place OFF the park, it's time somebody else took control of our on field spending/ambition.

It could be that now Rod has completed the OFF field structure, he himself is about to turn his attention to what really matters to us all.

I think this Celtc stuff is another non story but if it turns out to be true and R.P. goes, it will be a thank you Rod and cheerio from me, nothing more.

oregonhibby
16-11-2010, 08:02 AM

No argument about the impact of STF from me.

The land situation was created after the Mercer affair where the Club was separated from the land. STF was obviously an interested and sympathetic party, and RP owned 10% of Hibernian Holdings that owned both, but it was RP and his Board who made the play to join the 2 back together and the Club paid, via a mortgage, for the stadium. I understand that STF felt that the separation of the Club from the debt carrying assets was the way forward but I also understand he was convinced by RP and his Chairman Malcolm McPherson, that for more reasons that just financial that joining the two back together would go a long way to bringing back the support.

STF certainly acted as guarantor to support the further development of the ground, West Stand, East Mains and East Stand, but it was RP and his Board who made the decisions to push ahead and do them.

STF is undoubtedly the saviour of the Club but RP's role cannot be underestimated as he is in day to day control.

Now, before I am crawled all over for being pro RP, there is no doubt some thing could be, could have been and should have been handled better, but lets at least be fair and give credit where credit is due. He has made a major contribution in the success of the Club. I also think he played a role in the golden generation as he has been at the Club since around '93.

khib70
16-11-2010, 08:17 AM

Class???? Celtc????? :faf::faf::faf::faf:

matty_f
16-11-2010, 08:29 AM

Oi, cut out the attention seeking. If you're coming on here to get a bite from folk, then you can gtf.

Part/Time Supporter
16-11-2010, 08:40 AM
I would be more worried about the urchins of the east end. No danger of Rod giving them a fiver to look after his motor.

Andy74
16-11-2010, 08:56 AM
It's amazing how the things put in place by Petrie are 'easy' now and 'anyone would have done it' yet barely a person on here agreed with anything that was done by him until it started to show the effects.

Rod took the calls early and ahead of anyone else in football. When we were freezing out guys like Fenwick and O'Neil it was hardly popular and very few knew where it was leading us.

I also laugh at the suggestion he just doesn't know football. Sure he probably couldn't take a training session or set a team out but that's not really the part of the football world he operates in. The one he does operate in hardly anyone would know a thing about. How many know how to deal with agents and transfers and what exactly goes on in the background of football. It's a murky world, much worse than most would imagine and Rod knows it inside out.

SmithyHibee
16-11-2010, 09:01 AM

:stirrer:

bingo70
16-11-2010, 09:02 AM
It's amazing how the things put in place by Petrie are 'easy' now and 'anyone would have done it' yet barely a person on here agreed with anything that was done by him until it started to show the effects.

Rod took the calls early and ahead of anyone else in football. When we were freezing out guys like Fenwick and O'Neil it was hardly popular and very few knew where it was leading us.

I also laugh at the suggestion he just doesn't know football. Sure he probably couldn't take a training session or set a team out but that's not really the part of the football world he operates in. The one he does operate in hardly anyone would know a thing about. How many know how to deal with agents and transfers and what exactly goes on in the background of football. It's a murky world, much worse than most would imagine and Rod knows it inside out.

:agree:

I don't give RP a huge amount of credit for bringing in the money to put us in the financial position we're in as he has had a lot of good fortune in respect to a good set of young players with high values and the car park sale, however what i think he deserves a huge amount of credit for is not bowing to pressure and *****ing the money we've got in on trying to buy a couple of years of short term success like the vast majority on here wanted us to.

The_Todd
16-11-2010, 09:13 AM

Class? Your club operates with no class at all, especially in the way they approach players.

Class indeed.

matty_f
16-11-2010, 10:07 AM

Can't argue with that. Petrie made and still makes decisions that have been unpopular but by and large I would think that if anyone stood back and looked objectively at things, comparing what the club looked like when Petrie and STF got involved, against where we are now, I don't know how you couldn't give credit. In the meantime we won the League Cup, and although that's a fairly modest return for a club our size, it's more than some have won.

I don't give RP a huge amount of credit for bringing in the money to put us in the financial position we're in as he has had a lot of good fortune in respect to a good set of young players with high values and the car park sale, however what i think he deserves a huge amount of credit for is not bowing to pressure and *****ing the money we've got in on trying to buy a couple of years of short term success like the vast majority on here wanted us to.

:agree: I would say though, that when we were at the point of stopping expensive players from costing us more than we could afford, the decision to bring in Blobby and bring through youth paid off. There was an element of luck in that the standard of player we had at the time was good, however without the board (not just Petrie) taking that decision, we wouldn't have gotten what we did for the 'golden generation', IMHO.

Class? Your club operates with no class at all, especially in the way they approach players.

Class indeed.

Don't give him the satisfaction of a response. His post was attention seeking and fishing, best left alone, IMHO.

stubru59
16-11-2010, 10:20 AM
The question that needs to be answered is this: will the product on the park be better, worst, or the same, should Petrie fly off to pastures new.

Since most of RP's work is "unseen", the answer you give is no more than a speculative guess.

The_Todd
16-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Don't give him the satisfaction of a response. His post was attention seeking and fishing, best left alone, IMHO.

I know, I regret biting. I just can't help it sometimes. Their club has shown itself up so badly this last few weeks and I couldn't help but bite!

matty_f
16-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I know, I regret biting. I just can't help it sometimes. Their club has shown itself up so badly this last few weeks and I couldn't help but bite!

The thing is, if you bite you'll have Celtc fans getting an investigator to follow you, Neil Lennon will be writing to you for an explanation, and they'll unveil a poorly spelt banner at Parkhead blaming the British for your bite. Not to mention the carnage you'll cause if you end up on a plane with them...

It's just not worth it.:bitchy:

Peevemor
16-11-2010, 11:38 AM

It's far too easy to say that RP was lucky to have the car park to sell. We should also consider RP and STF as a single entity in this respect.

IIRC Hibs got around £9M for the car park. Had it been sold say 4 years earlier or later we would have got much less. RP/STF sold the land at exactly the right time - I don't think luck comes into it.

Compare this to Vlad, who bought Edinburgh city centre property at exactly the wrong time, who started mouthing off about a mega stand, luxury hotels and flats at exactly the wrong time, who agreed the price to buy council land at exactly the wrong time - all this from a man who's business is international finance?

As for player sales, the main reason that we got the fees we did is because we weren't desparate for cash, therefore it was RP saying "take it or leave it" to the buying clubs and not the other way around. So how did we get onto such a sound financial footing in the first place? Luck again?

No. When the television money dried up, Hibs were the first SPL club to start cutting costs, with the result that we were on an even keel for 2 or 3 seasons while other clubs were still losing millions.

Yes we should be more advanced 'on the park', but the blame for our current situation lies with our previous 3 managers (regardless of who appointed them) and hopefully CC is showing signs of being able to sort things out.

Jack
16-11-2010, 11:41 AM

To me it was STF that financially rescued the club and gave the club a vision.

The Great Rod was the man who was able to turn that vision into a reality. Yes it was ‘lucky’ there was land and the golden generation. I suspect there were times when things didn’t go so well. We are where we are, we would have got here sooner or later but, whatever happened, we would have got here sometime.

Could someone else have stepped in to either role and done the same?

Probably, but not many, in fact very, very few – even fewer would have accepted the role(s). (IMO)

Will Rod go to Celtc? I doubt it. The only thing that Celtc can offer, other than no bloostained poppies to the acute embarrassment of all decent folk in Scotland, is money. Rod, by choice I understand, recently reduced his day to day involvement with our club and with it his ‘salary’. Given money doesn’t seem to be a major motivator for Rod all that Celtc can offer is to embarrass him.

NeilOrrSquareBa
16-11-2010, 11:50 AM
the guy who has most impacted Hibs recent history is STF.

I had an impacted wisdom tooth and my dentist told me it would be £2500 to "get it sorted". Come to think of it he has a moustache...Surely not?!!
:wink:

Broken Gnome
16-11-2010, 11:59 AM
'Rod knows f-all about football' is a bit of a myth to be fair. Even if it's only realising that crap football = crap crowds, then he knows enough to give Hibs a decent platform to work with.

Hibs had a crowd of about 5,500 against Motherwell towards the end of 2003-04. It wasn't just a simple cheap option that led us to Mowbray, that's unfair and far too simplistic. He employed a guy that endorsed the style of football that gave us an average gate of over 14k. Collins, Mixu and Hughes also promoted themselves in a similar vein - he employed them all. Every manager he's chosen (Williamson was McPherson? Even if not, it was a necessary evil at the time) has been geared towards entertainment and getting the stadium full. If you still think he knows nothing about football, he at least knows enough about his customers (and we know LOADS about football, don't we?).

If we had access to all the financial ins and outs, I'd hazard a guess we'd find that the perceived penny-pinching over the £13 million or so wasn't really Petrie favouring tight-fistedness over football, after all his main source of continuous income is bigger crowds. We're not a money making machine, so extra expenditure or speculating to accumulate might well have been a risk not worth taking until we are a bit more secure and the training centre and stadium are out the way. Yes he may have been unfortunate to stumble to ready-made income in the form of Brown/Thomson/O'Connor etc, but the criticism he's got over the years is unfair. If he did go and things proved to be ok, it would only be because of his way of doing things is so heavily integrated into the club. Scott Lindsay's hardly going to go on a Vlad-like spending spree if he's free of Rod's shackles is he?

bingo70
16-11-2010, 12:14 PM
It's far too easy to say that RP was lucky to have the car park to sell. We should also consider RP and STF as a single entity in this respect.

IIRC Hibs got around £9M for the car park. Had it been sold say 4 years earlier or later we would have got much less. RP/STF sold the land at exactly the right time - I don't think luck comes into it.

Compare this to Vlad, who bought Edinburgh city centre property at exactly the wrong time, who started mouthing off about a mega stand, luxury hotels and flats at exactly the wrong time, who agreed the price to buy council land at exactly the wrong time - all this from a man who's business is international finance?

As for player sales, the main reason that we got the fees we did is because we weren't desparate for cash, therefore it was RP saying "take it or leave it" to the buying clubs and not the other way around. So how did we get onto such a sound financial footing in the first place? Luck again?

No. When the television money dried up, Hibs were the first SPL club to start cutting costs, with the result that we were on an even keel for 2 or 3 seasons while other clubs were still losing millions.

Yes we should be more advanced 'on the park', but the blame for our current situation lies with our previous 3 managers (regardless of who appointed them) and hopefully CC is showing signs of being able to sort things out.

Very good points :agree:

I think i should have put "possibly unfairly don't give RP much credit" as i don't know enough about the deals to say how much credit he deserves.

I do still think though that Petries greatest achievement is how he spent the money rather than how he got us out of debt, by doing what he did he's allowed us to build for years to come rather than for a couple of years like most wanted us to do.

matty_f
16-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Very good points :agree:

I think i should have put "possibly unfairly don't give RP much credit" as i don't know enough about the deals to say how much credit he deserves.

I do still think though that Petries greatest achievement is how he spent the money rather than how he got us out of debt, by doing what he did he's allowed us to build for years to come rather than for a couple of years like most wanted us to do.

I think the fact that we have steadily improved the debt position at the same time as growing the club is worthy of credit. Everything has been balanced and sustainable (mostly).

It will be interesting now to see how the board grow the club with no major off-field projects to undertake on the scale of the training centre or stands. Imho, we should be seeing a noticeably bigger spend on the team over the next few seasons, particularly if we find ourselves in the position where we have been able to sell a few million pounds worth of talent again.

silverhibee
16-11-2010, 12:45 PM

:greengrin :agree:

MrSmith
16-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Lest we not forget folks...RP is an extremely private man who does few if any media interviews. Would he enjoy the media being forever in his face at Celtic? Nah! Celtic bigger better and more classy than Hibs? Nah! In my view, RP is comfortable at Hibs - being low key is the key to RP! But if he feels its time to move on, then that is his porogative however, I want him to stay and finish the job!

Ah, and one last thought as it enters my short term memory stream....Hibs are fit for purpose! Any potential future sale would result in RP's shares being worth a bloody serious amount of money - why would he risk that for Celtics gold?

Riordans Boots
16-11-2010, 01:41 PM

:top marks

Sunny1875
16-11-2010, 03:15 PM

The land never wanted to leave hibs it was just part of the tache's masterstroke in charge of the club

ancienthibby
16-11-2010, 03:23 PM
To me it was STF that financially rescued the club and gave the club a vision.

The Great Rod was the man who was able to turn that vision into a reality. Yes it was ‘lucky’ there was land and the golden generation. I suspect there were times when things didn’t go so well. We are where we are, we would have got here sooner or later but, whatever happened, we would have got here sometime.

Could someone else have stepped in to either role and done the same?

Probably, but not many, in fact very, very few – even fewer would have accepted the role(s). (IMO)

Will Rod go to Celtc? I doubt it. The only thing that Celtc can offer, other than no bloostained poppies to the acute embarrassment of all decent folk in Scotland, is money. Rod, by choice I understand, recently reduced his day to day involvement with our club and with it his ‘salary’. Given money doesn’t seem to be a major motivator for Rod all that Celtc can offer is to embarrass him.

There is an impregnable umbilical link between STF and RP.

All that needs to be said!

Bostonhibby
16-11-2010, 03:57 PM
I think we should seek "clarification" of the tache issue.

:agree: FFS how do they even know if it is Ctilec minded?

ancienthibby
16-11-2010, 03:59 PM
:agree: FFS how do they even know if it is Ctilec minded?

Where do they play!!:cool2:

Bostonhibby
16-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Where do they play!!:cool2:

Celtc, with a silent i, or however they are currently spelling it, are one and the same as Glasgow Celtic that we all know, love and occasionally correctly spell. Something their fans hilariously frequently fail to do. Its Darkheid.

kaimendhibs
16-11-2010, 04:23 PM
If this is true.. **** off, Celtic. Just **** off. I'm sick fed up of that ****ing club.

Couldnt have put it better myself. Like the jealous grasping bully at school, cannae see ****** but wants it

Kaiser1962
16-11-2010, 04:37 PM
[/B]

The land never wanted to leave hibs it was just part of the tache's masterstroke in charge of the club

Hibs did not want to sell the land right enough but were stitched up by Edinburgh Cooncil. :wink:

Peevemor
16-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Hibs did not want to sell the land right enough but were stitched up by Edinburgh Cooncil. :wink:

yekimevol
16-11-2010, 05:04 PM
sod off celtic weggiesc|_|m, i have had it up to here with them. the refs are against us, u have taken enough of our players !!!! u aint getting the best chainman in the country yous cant ***** off !!!!!

Hibernia Na Eir
16-11-2010, 06:05 PM

couldnt give a hoot !

Malthibby
16-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Ye can tak our players, but ye'll ne'er tak our Tache..........

Thigh ar la
16-11-2010, 07:24 PM
I´m not so sure that Petrie wouldnt want to see some kind of ambition realised on the park? Maybe akin to laying the foundations without actually seeing the finished building.
I also reckon that he is a vital link to Tom Farmer and that would throw another type of spanner in the works.
But yeah, F··· Celtic!
That includes everything they are and hope to be!

sahib
16-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I think he may want to get out while the going is good. From my reading of the last accounts (as a layman) we seem to be trading at a loss and look like heading back into debt, especially, with no salable player assets. Rod may not fancy climbing that hill again and may prefer to secure a lucrative deal elsewhere, while his miracle worker image is intact.

CRAZYHIBBY
17-11-2010, 07:24 AM
UPDATE:..CELTIC HAVE APPARENTLY SHELVED PLANS TO MOVE FOR PETRIE.

If i hear anymore ill let you know.

Diclonius
17-11-2010, 07:35 AM
UPDATE:..CELTIC HAVE APPARENTLY SHELVED PLANS TO MOVE FOR PETRIE.

Or he told them to piss off. :agree:

matty_f
17-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Or he told them to piss off. :agree:

Or it was never happening in the first place...

Kaiser1962
17-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Or it was never happening in the first place...

It was one of these things that was alluded to with a view to Celtic finding out if it was a goer without making an arse of themselves. RP is now joined at the hip with STF in Hibs and they will both be there till nature takes its toll, or dot netters lynch them, whichever comes first.

Yes Sahib we are trading at a loss, minus player income, and have been for years. We sell players to balance the books. This message board seems to be split between those that think that our survival is the primary function which enables us to put a team on the pitch and those that believe survival is best achieved through primarily success on the pitch. The best approach is probably somewhere in between.

McLeish, when in charge and overspending, said something along the lines of that he was always getting told that the Hibs fans were out there and would fill the place with a decent side on the pitch. Although we employed some of the best players seen at ER in a generation it didnt happen much to McLeish's frustration and we ran up a debt which we have basically spent the last ten years paying off due to some good fortune, shrewd opportunism and good decisions.

Speedway
17-11-2010, 09:06 AM
This was very close to happening.

It all came unstuck when Petrie approached himself at Hibs about doing a deal. He found himself to be too hard to do a deal with. He wouldn't accept his own terms nor return his own calls so called the whole thing off.

Behind the scenes, Petrie has slammed Petrie for his hard ball tactics whilst in response, Petrie described the offer to himself as being 'derisory and wholly unacceptable'.

IWasThere2016
17-11-2010, 09:07 AM
This was very close to happening.

It all came unstuck when Petrie approached himself at Hibs about doing a deal. He found himself to be too hard to do a deal with. He wouldn't accept his own terms nor return his own calls so called the whole thing off.

Behind the scenes, Petrie has slammed Petrie for his hard ball tactics whilst in response, Petrie described the offer to himself as being 'derisory and wholly unacceptable'.

TRUE STORY. FACT. END OF. :agree: Mikey told me!

cockneymike
17-11-2010, 09:19 AM
This has to be one of the ridiculous rumours ever!

Petrie owns 10% of Hibs, which must be worth about £2.5m - given the value to the facilities and team etc.

This means that he would have to sell his shares in Hibs before he could take a position at Celtic, and as we all know there isn't anyone around looking to splash that sort of cash at ER.

Also he is now a semi retired chairman, not a full time chief exec. It would seem very surprising if he would want to go back to being a full time chief exec job, when if had wanted it he could have easily continued doing so at ER?!

MB62
17-11-2010, 10:12 AM
It will be interesting now to see how the board grow the club with no major off-field projects to undertake on the scale of the training centre or stands. Imho, we should be seeing a noticeably bigger spend on the team over the next few seasons, particularly if we find ourselves in the position where we have been able to sell a few million pounds worth of talent again.

Problem here though is, we still have mortgages for the new stands that have to be paid for.
In 2018 we have alump sum of £1.6m to get paid, over above any possible loss on normally costs. Then in 2020, we have a lump sum of £2.5m to be paid for on the same basis.
It means we are still along way away from having loads of spare cash to get spent on players rather than the stadium.

Unless I have misinterpretated the accounts.

ancienthibby
17-11-2010, 10:49 AM

Petrie owns 10% of Hibs, which must be worth about £2.5m - given the value to the facilities and team etc.

This means that he would have to sell his shares in Hibs before he could take a position at Celtic, and as we all know there isn't anyone around looking to splash that sort of cash at ER.

Also he is now a semi retired chairman, not a full time chief exec. It would seem very surprising if he would want to go back to being a full time chief exec job, when if had wanted it he could have easily continued doing so at ER?!

On paper that may be true, but unless there is a buyer around willing to pay that, the shares will be worth substantially less, or even nil if no buyer exists!

Just where are the buyers eager to invest in Scottish football??

If a so-called giant like Rangers fail to attract any buyers, what chance Hibs??

Right now, the only way Petrie would get his £2.5 million would be either STF pays that value for the shares, or the club is wound up and the lands sold for re-development purposes!!

And for the club, what would be the point of the latter option??

Green_one
17-11-2010, 11:06 AM

:agree: RP would have almost nothing to gain but a bag full of problems. Would Celtic want to try to operate the Hibs model? Doubt it.

In football there is much more rumour than fact. This is always magnified in the case of the OF. The crazier the better, is the golden rule.

Jack
17-11-2010, 11:43 AM
On paper that may be true, but unless there is a buyer around willing to pay that, the shares will be worth substantially less, or even nil if no buyer exists!

Just where are the buyers eager to invest in Scottish football??

If a so-called giant like Rangers fail to attract any buyers, what chance Hibs??

Right now, the only way Petrie would get his £2.5 million would be either STF pays that value for the shares, or the club is wound up and the lands sold for re-development purposes!!

And for the club, what would be the point of the latter option??

Going off on a tangent a bit I don’t necessarily agree with that.

The bigot fest through in the Weege is a unique basket case. I mean, who in their right mind, take the hun, would invest any money in a debt ridden club with the spectre of HMRC on their shoulder? Never mind the negative impact of those clubs on the social fabric of the city / country they reside in.

On the other hand, Hibs, a modest well run club with little debt that contributes positively to the society it lives in I think would be very attractive. Unfortunately it will be attractive to a malevolent investor, like Vlad and various former EPL investors, as it would to a guardian type, STF, investor.

We’ve all heard rumours of enquiries made to STF over the years, so far none appear to have met his suspected benefactor style conditions.

ancienthibby
17-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Going off on a tangent a bit I don’t necessarily agree with that.

The bigot fest through in the Weege is a unique basket case. I mean, who in their right mind, take the hun, would invest any money in a debt ridden club with the spectre of HMRC on their shoulder? Never mind the negative impact of those clubs on the social fabric of the city / country they reside in.

On the other hand, Hibs, a modest well run club with little debt that contributes positively to the society it lives in I think would be very attractive. Unfortunately it will be attractive to a malevolent investor, like Vlad and various former EPL investors, as it would to a guardian type, STF, investor.

We’ve all heard rumours of enquiries made to STF over the years, so far none appear to have met his suspected benefactor style conditions.

A couple of rejoinders.

Leaving aside the social questions surrounding the OF, both clubs would be relatively attractive to investors since they both (albeit stopping with this year) have access to European money and European TV money and while Rangers have regularly overspent (hence their level of debt) Celtic have been surprisingly profitable. Both are global marketing names with substantial merchandising opportunities, so it's easier to make a case for these clubs attracting new investors.

By comparison (and this is all that this is) no other club in Scotland offers that prospect, at least on a regular basis. For Hibs, Hearts, Sheeps and United, access to that European cash inflow would be, at best, a once in a decade event and, recent experience has shown that to be unobtainable. In Hibs case, an investor looking at Hibs forward Cash Flows would find that these would normally be negative, (only player sales providing cash above operating expenses) and so it would not be the club that would be of interest, but the fixed asset infrastructure, for other purposes!

Keith_M
17-11-2010, 04:13 PM
The trouble is the rumour was all wrong in the first place. It wasn't Celtc, but the parent company, Ireland PLC, who are currently bankrupt.

I understand that they wanted Petrie's financial genius to turn the country around, reduce their debt and get back to profitability.

I also understand that the Green Brigade have already ordered a banner saying "Thank you dear Brits for baling us out, all is forgven".

:greengrin

Hibiza
17-11-2010, 04:59 PM
mr farmer, got a load of stars

Jack
17-11-2010, 07:17 PM
A couple of rejoinders.

Leaving aside the social questions surrounding the OF, both clubs would be relatively attractive to investors since they both (albeit stopping with this year) have access to European money and European TV money and while Rangers have regularly overspent (hence their level of debt) Celtic have been surprisingly profitable. Both are global marketing names with substantial merchandising opportunities, so it's easier to make a case for these clubs attracting new investors.

By comparison (and this is all that this is) no other club in Scotland offers that prospect, at least on a regular basis. For Hibs, Hearts, Sheeps and United, access to that European cash inflow would be, at best, a once in a decade event and, recent experience has shown that to be unobtainable. In Hibs case, an investor looking at Hibs forward Cash Flows would find that these would normally be negative, (only player sales providing cash above operating expenses) and so it would not be the club that would be of interest, but the fixed asset infrastructure, for other purposes!

AH I think we’ll have to disagree with this :greengrin

I don't think you can leave aside the social questions surrounding the OF and I think that's been a major factor in the hun not being able to attract investors. The billionaire Celtc investor refusing to become more involved.

Who wants to be associated with the Battle of Manchester? A quick look round the social networks the filth, bigotry and hatred will have anyone with money running for their life.

These folk with money pay good money to researchers to look into all that stuff and the rather weighty dossier that would be presented wouldn’t make pleasant reading … and that's besides if you invest in one and not the other your automatically become a target for the vitriol – hence the bilateral sponsorship deals.

You mention the euro money, I’ll remind you, only one Scottish slot for the CL.

When you consider the amount of money being thrown around the EPL and other top leagues the amount of cash it would take to get the likes of the next top 4 SPL regularly into Europe is peanuts in comparison. What was Liverpool’s cost £600m???; give Hibs £60m and the SPL would be ours for decades with regular CL runs even if there was only one slot!!!! I think in many cases the turnover/cash flows of these EPL clubs is a secondary issue, if it even comes in that high.

A poor example of what might be achieved is Hearts. In the first couple of years Vlad didn’t have to spend very much to get secure 2nd place and a CL qualifying slot. If he hadn’t interfered, IMO, they could have done better a gotten further. Someone with a wise football brain, or someone who left the football side to get on with it, could do very well – all IMO of course. :wink:

One Day Soon
17-11-2010, 07:32 PM

Are you completely mad? There are a very large number of professional football clubs in the UK. Virtually none of them are commercially successful and few have successful CEOs. Football clubs are a unique and very difficult business proposition. Any CEO making a good job of it is in the hen's teeth category.

Kaiser1962
17-11-2010, 07:37 PM
I agree with you Jack that £60m would get you the SPL, maybe not for decades maybe not even for a decade, but we would have a good time for a wee while. :greengrin

Hearts is a strange one. Vlad increased the standard of player and they did well the first season but hemorrhaged cash. They have continued to lose cash at, or about, the same level for about five years now. Last season they spent double what they brought in, which would be double our and Aberdeen's income and many times everyone else's. During Vlad's tenure they have brought in more transfer income than we have and have had DFE swaps now totalling about £25m yet they are still £30m in debt. It is worth noting they barely made the top six last season although they have started brighter (than us) this term. Now Vlad might be as nutty as a fruitcake but he is not in the stupid category.

There are no shortage of nutters wanting to get involved in Rangers or Celtic but again, these folk are not stupid and wont just throw cash away. If Rangers were available without the debt they would have been taken of Murray's (not a stupid man either) hands ages ago. But AH is right. What makes us attractive is the assets that come with the package which means even if they do a Duff and Gray the assets in place should cover their outlay.