PDA

View Full Version : Best Team Yet?

JACK_HFC
15-11-2010, 10:50 AM
I think Colin Calderwood has got his team selection right, we put out the best team yet this season agianst Motherwell, hopefully he will stick with it. Murray has been a key player in the last two games, so has Miller even Trakys has been very good.
Its a good team and we should stick with it, but maybe adjust it a bit when Zemmama and Duffy are back! :thumbsup::hnet:

Hibbyradge
15-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Maybe it's the best team available at the moment, but these are the same players who only won about 3 games in 9 months. By and large it's the same team who were woeful against Hearts and who many thought were destined for another "Great Adventure" in the First division.

Remember too, that we got a good slice of luck on Saturday. Deek's first wasn't brilliantly hit, but got a helpful deflection.

Then the Motherwell defender made an uncharacteristic error to let Deek in for the second.

And, if the linesman had allowed Motherwell's goal which was clearly onside, we possibly would have drawn at best on Saturday.

Yes, there are definite signs of improvement. We look more organised, more of a unit and hopefully, we're getting harder to score against.

The players' confidence will be building and we've got a bit of momentum, but let's not get carried away just yet.

Sorry to put a dampener on it. I'm still clapping happily, just trying not to be bipolar.

--------
15-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Maybe it's the best team available at the moment, but these are the same players who only won about 3 games in 9 months. By and large it's the same team who were woeful against Hearts and who many thought were destined for another "Great Adventure" in the First division.

Remember too, that we got a good slice of luck on Saturday. Deek's first wasn't brilliantly hit, but got a helpful deflection.

Then the Motherwell defender made an uncharacteristic error to let Deek in for the second.

And, if the linesman had allowed Motherwell's goal which was clearly onside, we possibly would have drawn at best on Saturday.

Yes, there are definite signs of improvement. We look more organised, more of a unit and hopefully, we're getting harder to score against.

The players' confidence will be building and we've got a bit of momentum, but let's not get carried away just yet.

Sorry to put a dampener on it. I'm still clapping happily, just trying not to be bipolar.

:agree:

jonny
15-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Agree with the OP.
It's certainly the best we've been for some time. The defence in the last 2 games has looked much more solid and I think Dickoh is a marked improvement on Hogg/Hanlon at CH. Grounds appears a bit more settled recently as after his first few games I feared the worst.
De Graaf has improved in the last 2 games - when he's on the right I think he drifts in a bit too often and leaves Hart quite exposed though. I'd probably prefer Wotherspoon out there but it's nice to have options.
I was not a fan of Ian Murray at left back and to be honest thought his days may have been numbered but he's shown in the last 2 games that he is as good a defensive midfielder as anyone we've had playing that role for years. His lack of pace isn't as exposed and his ball winning abilities and desire to win everything is rubbing off. Having him in there instead of McBride gives Miller the space he needs to get forward and make more of a contribution.
Trakys has come in and looks like he could play a big part for the remainder of the season. Puts himself about and holds up play well.
In the last 2 games the manager seems to be using the players in their best positions and his substitutions seem to be spot on and made at the right times.

It's easy to get carried away after 2 very good wins and I think I probably am a bit but if we can keep it up over the next few weeks and get 3 or 4 wins in our next 5 (which is very possible) then we'll be right back in the mix for 3rd. Fears of relegation are dwindling and I'm definitely looking towards the teams above us as opposed to the teams below.

silverhibee
15-11-2010, 11:31 AM

A poor decision from the linesman who called Deek offside when he was in his own half and obviously on-side would have resulted with a one on one with the goalkeeper and maybe a goal for Derek and a great save from the well keeper from Riordan as well, so Well rode there luck as well.
The referee and his assistants were woeful on Saturday for both teams.

Stevie Reid
15-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Is Deek not suspended again on Saturday? Then the team will have to be changed again.

Either way, I have faith in CC to put the right team out and have them apply themselves properly - I said prior to the game on Saturday that as much as I wanted a win, the level of performance was just as important IMO, and was delighted with what I saw.

We won't play well every week, bu if we are as well organised and committed as we have beein the last 2 games, we won't go far wrong and will always be in with a chance of taking points.

Although it is rightly pointed out that we should not get carried away, with Zemmama and Duffy to come back to fitness and the opportunity to strengthen in January, the feeling this Monday compared to last is amazing.

woodythehibee
15-11-2010, 11:38 AM
A poor decision from the linesman who called Deek offside when he was in his own half and obviously on-side would have resulted with a one on one with the goalkeeper and maybe a goal for Derek and a great save from the well keeper from Riordan as well, so Well rode there luck as well.
The referee and his assistants were woeful on Saturday for both teams.

and they got a soft penalty IMHO. The boy was already on the way down because he was sliding for the ball, not necessarily because of the pull by Hart.

Stevie Reid
15-11-2010, 11:44 AM
and they got a soft penalty IMHO. The boy was already on the way down because he was sliding for the ball, not necessarily because of the pull by Hart.

Was maybe soft but it is a penalty, after Nish giving his one away at Fir Park, lessons should've been learned - and if it had been a Motherwell player on a Hibs player and we weren't awarded it, we would've been up in arms.

3 pens we've conceded this season from wingers getting round our right back (3 different ones, actually) too easily. Though I am happy with Hart in there, likewise Grounds at LB.

_hucks_
15-11-2010, 11:56 AM

Doesn't matter if he was on his way down or not - Hart had a handful of jersey, and if the ref spots it he's 100% correct to give the pen. I agree it was soft if by that you mean not blatant, but if by soft you mean possibly incorrect, then I don't think that that is right.

jonny
15-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Is Deek not suspended again on Saturday? Then the team will have to be changed again.

Either way, I have faith in CC to put the right team out and have them apply themselves properly - I said prior to the game on Saturday that as much as I wanted a win, the level of performance was just as important IMO, and was delighted with what I saw.

We won't play well every week, bu if we are as well organised and committed as we have beein the last 2 games, we won't go far wrong and will always be in with a chance of taking points.

Although it is rightly pointed out that we should not get carried away, with Zemmama and Duffy to come back to fitness and the opportunity to strengthen in January, the feeling this Monday compared to last is amazing.

Im not 100% certain but I think the administration of the ban means that he'll be available for Caley on Saturday but miss the St Johnstone game the week after.

Hibbyradge
15-11-2010, 12:26 PM
As I saw it, if Hart hadn't have pulled the boy's jersey, he wouldn't have caught him to put the tackle in.

Stonewall penalty, imo.

Love the Green
15-11-2010, 03:22 PM

What a slaver the goal was well offside as we sit right in line with it a yard at least.So no luck there.; Also Murry, trakhas , grounds and dichot have hardly been there or playing throughout the recent debacles. Keeper and hart just settling in as well..so although not world beaters certainly going in the right directions.

"KEEP THE FAITH":wink:

Craig_in_Prague
15-11-2010, 03:41 PM
We look like we have finally a spine in the team.

Brown: As solid as a keeper we could expect
Bamba: Put his napper on everything on Saturday, his pace makes me feel more secure and he's generally looking more solid again
Murray: Wise wise move getting him back in at DM position
Trakys: Very impressed by his last 2 outings. Hopefully gets fitter and better, a vast improvement on Nish.

As I said, with more of a spine in the team, decent experience with Hart, Edwin, added to talent such as Deeks & Miller and a big improvement playing "as a team"....... there's definitely light at the end of the tunnel.

Well done CC and the players for the clear improvements, in a short time.

hibiedude
15-11-2010, 04:28 PM
I think Colin Calderwood has got his team selection right, we put out the best team yet this season agianst Motherwell, hopefully he will stick with it. Murray has been a key player in the last two games, so has Miller even Trakys has been very good.
Its a good team and we should stick with it, but maybe adjust it a bit when Zemmama and Duffy are back! :thumbsup::hnet:

So the team against Rangers was the wrong selection ?

I say again when you have winning team on the park its daft to change it.

We beat Rangers in their own back yard and we beat Motherwell at home both great results but the Rangers result was better in many ways.

ancienthibby
15-11-2010, 04:50 PM
So the team against Rangers was the wrong selection ?

I say again when you have winning team on the park its daft to change it.

We beat Rangers in their own back yard and we beat Motherwell at home both great results but the Rangers result was better in many ways.

The selection for both games was the right one for each!!

The contrary can be well argued on your last point!

1. It was a home win where they have been difficult to obtain,

2. It was a back-to-back win where they have been even more difficult to obtain;

3. It was a come from behind win where they have been sparse on the ground.

The Ipox win was fantastic, but the win against the Mothers suggests we are on the road to making real progress!!

Keep up the good work CC et al!:agree:

Hibbyradge
15-11-2010, 04:53 PM
What a slaver the goal was well offside as we sit right in line with it a yard at least.So no luck there.; Also Murry, trakhas , grounds and dichot have hardly been there or playing throughout the recent debacles. Keeper and hart just settling in as well..so although not world beaters certainly going in the right directions.

"KEEP THE FAITH":wink:

I do appreciate your partisanship, but you are the only person arguing their goal was offside.

Have another look. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9188231.stm) 3 mins 30 secs onwards.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-11-2010, 05:05 PM
The highlights clip also shows that both Hibs and Motherwell had more than plenty chances to take all the points. Trying to narrow the result down to depending one incident is a bit of a reach IMO.

Hibbyradge
15-11-2010, 05:07 PM
The highlights clip also shows that both Hibs and Motherwell had more than plenty chances to take all the points. Trying to narrow the result down to depending one incident is a bit of a reach IMO.

Who is doing that?

Caroline Hibby
15-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Despite our marked improvement at the weekend, and it was improved, I'm still not convinced that CC put out our best team. I would have started with either Thicot or W'spoon ahead of Miller, who I still think is a complete passenger. At least Rankin works hard. Hart's lack of pace is a worry and I would be looking to bring back McCann from Inverness in January. This is Murray's best position, including CH, but we could do with someone who at least looks like he wants to drive forward, and Miller isn't the man. Trackys has surprised me and is way ahead of Nish in terms of presence and ability to hold the ball up and link up.

marinello59
15-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Despite our marked improvement at the weekend, and it was improved, I'm still not convinced that CC put out our best team. I would have started with either Thicot or W'spoon ahead of Miller, who I still think is a complete passenger. At least Rankin works hard. Hart's lack of pace is a worry and I would be looking to bring back McCann from Inverness in January. This is Murray's best position, including CH, but we could do with someone who at least looks like he wants to drive forward, and Miller isn't the man. Trackys has surprised me and is way ahead of Nish in terms of presence and ability to hold the ball up and link up.

If Lionel Messi bit you on the erse I suspect you wouldn't recognise him.

ancienthibby
15-11-2010, 05:28 PM

RUBBISH!!

Murray's presence/performance in the last two games has released Miller to give performances that he has not given this year so far!!

To date, A major PLUS!!:agree:

Caroline Hibby
15-11-2010, 05:40 PM
If Lionel Messi bit you on the erse I suspect you wouldn't recognise him.

I take it you don't agree. Well, I can't recall much of a contribution from him (CC must have thought he wasn't worth keeping on the pitch) and he gave the ball away that created M'well' s 'offside' goal. For a forward midfielder he doesn't get into the box, unlike Messi. I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I see nothing in him. The only way he tries to beat a man is to 'nutmeg' him, which works maybe once or twice in a game. He has no pace, rarely a goal threat and, as we all know, is a shirker. He likes to act the hard man by arguing with refs, shoving and blootering the ball at guys when they're on the deck, as we saw on Sat. I've played with and against guys like him and they flatter to deceive in many ways. Just my opinion.

marinello59
15-11-2010, 06:08 PM
I take it you don't agree. Well, I can't recall much of a contribution from him (CC must have thought he wasn't worth keeping on the pitch) and he gave the ball away that created M'well' s 'offside' goal. For a forward midfielder he doesn't get into the box, unlike Messi. I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I see nothing in him. The only way he tries to beat a man is to 'nutmeg' him, which works maybe once or twice in a game. He has no pace, rarely a goal threat and, as we all know, is a shirker. He likes to act the hard man by arguing with refs, shoving and blootering the ball at guys when they're on the deck, as we saw on Sat. I've played with and against guys like him and they flatter to deceive in many ways. Just my opinion.

No I don't agree but i really see no point in trying to argue his case with you. You have obviously made your mind up given that all of your recent posts have been dedicated to getting your dislike of Miller across. Easier to save time and agree to disagree with you, life is too short.

greenlex
16-11-2010, 12:18 AM
I do appreciate your partisanship, but you are the only person arguing their goal was offside.

Have another look. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9188231.stm) 3 mins 30 secs onwards.

I think I posted elsewhere at the time I thought it was offside. I too sitvin line with the incident and nearly ground level. Haven't seen it on TV yet to be proved wrong but if I was the linesman I would have flagged.

capitalhibee
16-11-2010, 01:05 AM
It was onside a mile

jgl07
16-11-2010, 02:04 AM

OK so he was onside but the whistle went before he pulled the trigger.

Had the whistle not gone, the goalkeeper might well have saved the weak shot rather than half hearted trying to grab the ball knowing the flag was up and whistle blown.

cockneymike
17-11-2010, 10:30 AM
With ICT away this weekend, I'd be half of a mind to start with the Ibrox 11, and try to win the midfield. As that is often our problem, especially away from home.

It would be hard on Deek, but we've been beaten away at ICT so many times, I think a different type of team, might get a better result.

hibiedude
17-11-2010, 06:44 PM
[/B]

The selection for both games was the right one for each!!

The contrary can be well argued on your last point!

1. It was a home win where they have been difficult to obtain,

2. It was a back-to-back win where they have been even more difficult to obtain;

3. It was a come from behind win where they have been sparse on the ground.

The Ipox win was fantastic, but the win against the Mothers suggests we are on the road to making real progress!!

Keep up the good work CC et al!:agree:

Valid point’s ancienthibby but Rangers first defeat and the 3 goals we scored was followed with a clean sheet.

Rangers are the league leaders and are playing champions league football

Motherwell’s main aim is to finish in the top 6 not taking nothing away from both performances but the Rangers result will take some topping this season.

Iggy Pope
17-11-2010, 10:54 PM

I think I posted elsewhere at the time I thought it was offside. I too sitvin line with the incident and nearly ground level. Haven't seen it on TV yet to be proved wrong but if I was the linesman I would have flagged.

I thought it was offside and had an excellent view.
I also think it's stretching it to call it a 'goal', chalked off or not, as the whistle was audible very early and play had effectively stopped by the time Mark Brown became involved. The boy that knocked it in knew he was wasting his dubbin.

I don't think luck had much of a part in the win if you put it down to chances created (their goalie being much the busier IMO) and the offside incident had hee-haw to do with the outcome.

Better team won.

Dashing Bob S
18-11-2010, 01:33 AM
With ICT away this weekend, I'd be half of a mind to start with the Ibrox 11, and try to win the midfield. As that is often our problem, especially away from home.

It would be hard on Deek, but we've been beaten away at ICT so many times, I think a different type of team, might get a better result.

Not a bad suggestion, Mike. I'd be inclined to go down that route also.

Speedway
18-11-2010, 04:48 PM

I don't think Deek will mind, he's suspended.

silverhibee
18-11-2010, 05:26 PM

Oh no he's not.:greengrin

Removed
18-11-2010, 05:28 PM

Just about to post that SH. I thought his 2nd game was against St J week on Sat?

Speedway
18-11-2010, 10:06 PM

I didn't say what game he was suspended for.....