PDA

View Full Version : NHC Why, After Last Season...

Sylar
13-11-2010, 01:12 PM
...would the SPL arrange Celtic to play on Remembrance Sunday? :confused:

I'm aware EVERY club will be observing/respecting some mark of respect over the course of the weekend, but there's going to be a LOT of focus on the Sunday game and Celtic proved last year, that they're a cancerous, disrespectful institution when it comes to honouring the HEROES who serve their country to secure our freedoms (both historically and now).

It's also the chosen televised game of the weekend - coincidence? No doubt, the Celtic fans will say this is further evidence that the SPL are out to get them, by giving them an away fixture on Remembrance Sunday, where the "minority" will shame their great club :yawn:

Phil D. Rolls
13-11-2010, 01:18 PM

I'm aware EVERY club will be observing/respecting some mark of respect over the course of the weekend, but there's going to be a LOT of focus on the Sunday game and Celtic proved last year, that they're a cancerous, disrespectful institution when it comes to honouring the HEROES who serve their country to secure our freedoms (both historically and now).

It's also the chosen televised game of the weekend - coincidence? No doubt, the Celtic fans will say this is further evidence that the SPL are out to get them, by giving them an away fixture on Remembrance Sunday, where the "minority" will shame their great club :yawn:

As it was only a minority of their fans, I am sure they have been reassured by the silent majority that there will be no repeat.

Sammy7nil
13-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Alright SSF, It is a conspiricy I tell you :greengrin

Celtic as a club and fans need to get over themselves, times were once very tough for Irish in Scotland that is no longer the case and they are NOT an Irish club. Get the chip off their shoulder and move on.

I am off to the game in 10 mins looking far a win but also big improvement on last Sunday.

Sylar
13-11-2010, 01:22 PM
The Green Brigade, the shower who organised the protest at the Aberdeen game last week, have said they are boycotting the game on Sunday, citing events such as Bloody Sunday, the sinking of the Argentine warship, the General Belangro and the Iraq conflict as the reasons they refuse to support the poppy on the shirts.

I shouldn't be surprised, but the absolute ignorance and disgraceful actions of this notorious section of the Celtic support beggars belief :bitchy:

CropleyWasGod
13-11-2010, 01:24 PM

Can't blame the SPL. Sky decide on the Sunday games.

Wait, you don't think Sky have engineered the situation to get some newsworthy footage? Shirley not...

Phil D. Rolls
13-11-2010, 01:27 PM
The Green Brigade, the shower who organised the protest at the Aberdeen game last week, have said they are boycotting the game on Sunday, citing events such as Bloody Sunday, the sinking of the Argentine warship, the General Belangro and the Iraq conflict as the reasons they refuse to support the poppy on the shirts.

I shouldn't be surprised, but the absolute ignorance and disgraceful actions of this notorious section of the Celtic support beggars belief :bitchy:

They might be boycotting the game, but I'm sure they won't be missed. Apparently they tried to put their banners up at the PBS on Wednesday x. These were confiscated by the Polis.
(uncomfirmed report on kickback)

I think the Puckoon IRA might just be starting to experience a higher level of harassment from the authorities.

Moulin Yarns
13-11-2010, 01:49 PM
A Celtc supporting workmate was telling me that last year all the support to a man that wee inside Falkirk stadium observed the silence. those that were heard to be singing had chosen to remain outside the ground so they didn't have to obseve the silence!!!

Meanwhile, did anybody read the article "Freedom of speech must still be the ultimate goal" by former Celtc Director Michael Kelly in the Scotsman on Wednesday? Amongst other things he claims Celtc are unique in their founding and aims!

http://www.scotsman.com/celticfc/Michael-Kelly-Freedom-of-speech.6621362.jp

"from the start Celtic was a Scottish, not Irish, club. Founded by the sons of Irish immigrants it rejected the name Glasgow Hibernian in favour of Celtic because it wanted to integrate this new community with its host society"

thee is a letter of reply today.

"Celtic are a wonderful football club, but some of Michael Kelly's points (11 November) need refuting.
The origins of Celtic are not unique - far from it. The club was founded, primarily by businessmen inspired by the original Irish charitable team in Scotland, Hibernian FC. Nor was Hibs and Celtic's work unique. Most clubs in Scotland raised money for charity - including (whisper it) Hearts and Rangers.

Similarly, the tradition of political radicalism has its origins at Hibs, rather than Celtic. The Irish Patriot and Union organiser James Connolly was a life-long Hibs supporter.

The right to protest the wearing of the poppy is a noble one. I wear my poppy with sorrow rather than pride.

If Mr Kelly wants to see a club of Irish origin, secure in its identity and its place in modern Scotland, then drive along the M8 and watch the Hibs, the club with the Irish name fully integrated into Scottish society"

Moulin Yarns
13-11-2010, 02:00 PM
just for a laugh I went over to Kerrydale Street to see what they were saying :greengrin

http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/topic/8396580/1/

all 176 pages in a week.

Sir David Gray
13-11-2010, 08:41 PM
I just hope that if there is any disruption to the silence tomorrow, ESPN won't do what Sky did last year and mute the sound so that viewers at home don't realise what's going on. I know Sky said last year that they did it so that they wouldn't cause offence to people watching at home but to me that is nonsense. People had a right to know what was going on during that 60 seconds and it just seemed to me like an attempt to avoid causing any embarrassment to Celtic.

If it's true that the Green Brigade is boycotting tomorrow's game in protest (why can't they boycott every away game?) then that might mean that the decent minded people amongst both supports will be left in peace to pay tribute to our troops.

If there are problems again tomorrow, I believe Celtic should be docked points and heavily fined by the SPL.

CropleyWasGod
13-11-2010, 08:45 PM
If it's true that the Green Brigade is boycotting tomorrow's game in protest (why can't they boycott every away game?) then that might mean that the decent minded people amongst both supports will be left in peace to pay tribute to our troops.

Isn't that missing the point, and precisely why the Green Brigade have got it so wrong? Remembrance Day is supposed to be about all dead in all wars.

--------
13-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Isn't that missing the point, and precisely why the Green Brigade have got it so wrong? Remembrance Day is supposed to be about all dead in all wars.

I don't think that was the idea initially, but it's certainly how most Remembrance ceremonies are conducted nowadays. :agree:

ScottB
13-11-2010, 10:36 PM
I don't think that was the idea initially, but it's certainly how most Remembrance ceremonies are conducted nowadays. :agree:

Well its timed to coincide with the end of the First World War, which is what the poppy is most associated with.

At the end of the day, this is a bunch of morons who've probably never been near Ireland going on about stuff they have no idea about in connection with a history their club doesn't actually have!

A friend happened to be in one of the big shopping centers in Glasgow on the 11th and was pretty dismayed that the minutes silence was not even mentioned, though it happened elsewhere all around the country.

Seems like Glasgow are keen to make life easy for the moronic minority rather than deal with them.

CropleyWasGod
13-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Don;t see it mentioned elsewhere, but here is Charlie Reid's letter in The Scotsman today:-

http://www.scotsman.com/opinion/Letter-Hibs39-home-win.6624513.jp

Moulin Yarns
14-11-2010, 11:58 AM
A friend happened to be in one of the big shopping centers in Glasgow on the 11th and was pretty dismayed that the minutes silence was not even mentioned, though it happened elsewhere all around the country.

QUOTE]

The German national day of mourning is the secular public holiday of Volkstrauertag which since 1952 has been observed two Sundays before the first Sunday of Advent in practice this is the Sunday closest to the 16 November. The anniversary of the Armistice itself is not observed in Germany

[QUOTE=CropleyWasGod;2637096]Don;t see it mentioned elsewhere, but here is Charlie Reid's letter in The Scotsman today:-

http://www.scotsman.com/opinion/Letter-Hibs39-home-win.6624513.jp

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?197444-Why-After-Last-Season...&p=2636337&viewfull=1#post2636337

Phil D. Rolls
14-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Well its timed to coincide with the end of the First World War, which is what the poppy is most associated with.

At the end of the day, this is a bunch of morons who've probably never been near Ireland going on about stuff they have no idea about in connection with a history their club doesn't actually have!

Seems like Glasgow are keen to make life easy for the moronic minority rather than deal with them.

It is asking too much to expect a weegie to stop talking for 60 seconds that's all.

Sylar
14-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Glad it was well observed and there was no repeat of the shameful scenes last year at the Falkirk stadium.

Still a subspecies though :agree:

Dunbar Hibee
14-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Surely they just muted any Celtic fans singing at St Mirren? Was far too quiet not a sound, think they definitely done what Sky did last year.

Sir David Gray
14-11-2010, 02:07 PM
According to ESPN the silence was "just about" impeccably observed, then 30 seconds later the first song of the afternoon is 'Aiden McAnespie'. :rolleyes:

They just can't help themselves. :bitchy:

hibee92
14-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Surely they just muted any Celtic fans singing at St Mirren? Was far too quiet not a sound, think they definitely done what Sky did last year.

are you implying that celtc fans are illiterate and disgraceful? :greengrin

side note: anyone hear the commentator almost give celtic fans credit for their silence?

"well credit to the, ehh, everyone who observed the minutes silence" :bye:

Betty Boop
14-11-2010, 02:15 PM
According to ESPN the silence was "just about" impeccably observed, then 30 seconds later the first song of the afternoon is 'Aiden McAnespie'. :rolleyes:

They just can't help themselves. :bitchy:

Aiden McAnespie is an Irish rebel song, Hibs fans have belted out the same songs from the old East Stand in the past. I don't see why you get so upset about this, I thought it was only the observance of the minutes silence you were outraged about, which according to Radio Scotland was impeccably observed. :confused:

Dunbar Hibee
14-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Aiden McAnespie is an Irish rebel song, Hibs fans have belted out the same songs from the old East Stand in the past. I don't see why you get so upset about this, I thought it was only the observance of the minutes silence you were outraged about, which according to Radio Scotland was impeccably observed. :confused:

Or muted out..

Zondervan
14-11-2010, 02:24 PM

When did Hibs fans sing that song, as I have no recollection of it being belted out? In fact, when was the last time the "East Bank" belted out any true rebel songs?

Serious question.

Only time I heard them was on The Whelahan bus!!

marinello59
14-11-2010, 02:30 PM

This is just an excuse, they have drunk their Giros and just couldn't afford to go. Plan A was to claim it was bath day but nobody would have bought that one.

Removed
14-11-2010, 02:35 PM

So why is it sung at a Scottish football match then?

I understood FH's point and I'm sure you did too, but yet you choose to be :confused: Why?

Moulin Yarns
14-11-2010, 02:41 PM
are you implying that celtc fans are illiterate and disgraceful? :greengrin

side note: anyone hear the commentator almost give celtic fans credit for their silence?

"well credit to the, ehh, everyone who observed the minutes silence" :bye:

Radio Scotland praised the fans inside the ground as there was clear shouts coming over the radio. A bit like last year, "we're not in the ground so we aren't part of the minutes silence"

Moulin Yarns
14-11-2010, 02:44 PM

you missed the bit where he said "inside the ground" there was clear shouts heard on my radio, and if they were outside they were intended to be heard inside, just like last year at Falkirk.

I don't understand this "we were outside the ground so the minutes silence didn't apply to us" cr@p

blackpoolhibs
14-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Radio Scotland praised the fans inside the ground as there was clear shouts coming over the radio. A bit like last year, "we're not in the ground so we aren't part of the minutes silence"

Can i be first to praise our fans and those of the Motherwell fans who managed to stay quiet outside easter road yesterday, as they were coming in late during the minutes silence.:top marks

Danny_Hibee
14-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Or muted out..

From the BBC updates of the game:

"1404: Celtic kick off after an impeccable minute's silence on this Remembrance Sunday."

I hate Celtic fans as much as the next person but it seems like people are actually disappointed that they observed the minutes silence today since they have to find something else to get on their high horse about! No worries tho someone will be offended by something sooner or later

Sir David Gray
14-11-2010, 02:47 PM

Which just happens to also be an anti-British army song on the day that the country is paying tribute to our Armed Forces and was sung almost immediately after the end of the silence, surely you can see where I'm coming from? The song has nothing to do with Scottish football and has no place in a Scottish football stadium, in the same way that The Sash has no place in a Scottish football stadium either.

Both songs may have their place during their respective marches but I do not wish to hear them being sung at a football match.

As for the point you made about Hibs, you've mentioned the all important phrase there, we "USED TO" belt these songs out. Thankfully we have moved on and grown up as a support and I can honestly say that in the 15 or 16 years that I have been going to Easter Road to watch Hibs, I have never heard a pro-IRA or Irish rebel song sung by the Hibs fans.

I believe that will remain to be the case but should that ever change and we start to hear Aiden McAnespie or The Boys of the Old Brigade being belted out from the East Stand, I won't be back to Easter Road and I would find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon. I don't believe I would be the only one, either.

I'm glad that the silence seems to have been "just about" impeccably observed but it doesn't take away from the fact that Celtic is an extremely nauseating football club with a large section of repulsive supporters.

Titch
14-11-2010, 02:50 PM

stick your irish rebel song up your erse no place for these ditties(diddies) in football let alone easter road:bye:

marinello59
14-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I believe that will remain to be the case but should that ever change and we start to hear Aiden McAnespie or The Boys of the Old Brigade being belted out from the East Stand, I won't be back to Easter Road and I would find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon. I don't believe I would be the only one, either.

I thought you wanted to discourage the songs? :greengrin

basehibby
14-11-2010, 05:27 PM
]...would the SPL arrange Celtic to play on Remembrance Sunday?[/B] :confused:

Because they are stupid

Hibs On Tour
14-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Which just happens to also be an anti-British army song on the day that the country is paying tribute to our Armed Forces and was sung almost immediately after the end of the silence, surely you can see where I'm coming from? The song has nothing to do with Scottish football and has no place in a Scottish football stadium, in the same way that The Sash has no place in a Scottish football stadium either.

Both songs may have their place during their respective marches but I do not wish to hear them being sung at a football match.

As for the point you made about Hibs, you've mentioned the all important phrase there, we "USED TO" belt these songs out. Thankfully we have moved on and grown up as a support and I can honestly say that in the 15 or 16 years that I have been going to Easter Road to watch Hibs, I have never heard a pro-IRA or Irish rebel song sung by the Hibs fans.

I'm glad that the silence seems to have been "just about" impeccably observed but it doesn't take away from the fact that Celtic is an extremely nauseating football club with a large section of repulsive supporters.

Quality post. Admins - you should seal this thread now - the above post says absolutely everything that needs said on the subject IMHO... :agree:

Darth Hibbie
14-11-2010, 06:21 PM
:faf::faf:

Falkirk makes a good point however :greengrin

Sir David Gray
15-11-2010, 12:44 AM

:tee hee: I bet there's dozens of people on here trying to get in contact with the organisers of the 12th man group, attempting to arrange something for the next home game. :greengrin

Joe Baker II
15-11-2010, 02:34 PM

I appreciate both viewpoints on whether the tributes should be observed (freedom of speech, paying respect plus fact many soldiers were conscripted in World War one and the atrocites committed by British armed forces are all valid arguments for acting as one sees fit).

But I have no time at all for those who make the nothing to do with football argument which is just used by idiots to have a go at sets of fans they do not like - it is not up for message board posters to pronounce on what can or not be sung at Scottish football stadia.

Also as Danny Hibee says very amusing that some fans (realise the culprits on here will not admit it) are so disappointed that there was no obvious disruption of the remembrance commemoration by Celtic fans.

Joe Baker II
15-11-2010, 02:41 PM

The Boys of the Old Brigade WAS sung in the East Stand in game against Rangers in 1999 without anyone objecting, you obviously have selective hearing or you have not taken the action you say you will in the last 11 years.

Off to Dublin in the Green (not one of the songs you refer to I realise but another commemeration of Ireland's fight against English and subsequently British rule) has been sung at away games by Hibs fans since then also though have never heard it at ER since the 1980s.

Frankly any fan who does not attend because he/she does not like songs commerating the cause which Hibs were in part set up to support does not strike me as the ones that will be missed.

Hibs On Tour
15-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Frankly any fan who does not attend because he/she does not like songs commerating the cause which Hibs were in part set up to support does not strike me as the ones that will be missed.

Hibs weren't set for ANY cause to do with either Irish home-rule or the Irish fighting the British. Wee twisting of the facts there eh? Yes, we have Irish roots but only in so much as we were founded by the Irish community here in Edinburgh - there was nothing in our set-up politically related to events over the water in our history.

Or is Hibs now to be an exclusive club for Irish rebel fans? Thought we'd left that nonsense at Celtics door no?...

Titch
15-11-2010, 11:28 PM
The Boys of the Old Brigade WAS sung in the East Stand in game against Rangers in 1999 without anyone objecting, you obviously have selective hearing or you have not taken the action you say you will in the last 11 years.

Off to Dublin in the Green (not one of the songs you refer to I realise but another commemeration of Ireland's fight against English and subsequently British rule) has been sung at away games by Hibs fans since then also though have never heard it at ER since the 1980s.

17 season tickets bought my family members EVERY season form my wife and kids to my mother in law / aunties i'm sure hibs could do with that money :bye::bye:

Sir David Gray
15-11-2010, 11:34 PM

As you can probably see, I am 22 years old so in 1999, I was only 11. I was hardly likely to know what The Boys of the Old Brigade was at that age.

If that is the only example you can give of Irish rebel songs being sung by Hibs fans in the past 15 years then I hardly think it's anything to get too worked up about. I don't believe it should have happened, if I heard it now I wouldn't be happy about it and if it continued, I wouldn't be back.

As for the bit at the end, Hibs have origins that are undeniably Irish but that doesn't mean that we have to go about like mini-Republicans with chips on our shoulders. The club's origins are reflected in the fact that our strips are predominantly green and we have a harp included on our club badge. Personally I think that is about right.

Hibs aren't an Irish club, we are a Scottish club with Irish origins and I am comfortable with that. What I wouldn't be comfortable with would be listening to several thousand Hibs fans going on about the political scene in Ireland, when many of them wouldn't have the first idea about the things that they are singing about. I also refute the point you make that those songs "commemorate the cause with which Hibs were in part set up to support". Songs like The Boys of the Old Brigade, Aidan McAnespie, Sean South etc etc have nothing to do with the establishment of Hibernian Football Club and they certainly do not have anything to do with the modern day Hibernian Football Club.

Celtic's fans don't sing songs about Ireland because they want to celebrate their club's Irish roots or because many of them particularly care about the political scene in Ireland. They sing those songs because they belong to one half of a detestable, bigoted disease within Scottish football and it's something that I want Hibs to play no part in. These songs are tolerated by the Celtic hierarchy because they know that it's a lucrative business and it's the same with Rangers. Both teams wouldn't know what to do with themselves if the other one was to ever go out of business.

I am proud that I support a club that, on the one hand doesn't deny its origins, but which is now fully integrated into Scottish society and has been for quite some time.

Titch
15-11-2010, 11:45 PM

just looked up the lyrics of this bile as i have no idea what it is.

why the f*** would a scottish person want to sing this p**h has absolutely NOTHING to do with our great SCOTTISH club
i am very proud of our irish roots but these songs are best left to the knuckle dragging hordes from the west

Removed
15-11-2010, 11:49 PM
just looked up the lyrics of this bile as i have no idea what it is.

why the f*** would a scottish person want to sing this p**h has absolutely NOTHING to do with our great SCOTTISH club
i am very proud of our irish roots but these songs are best left to the knuckle dragging hordes from the west

:agree:

I'm a fair bit older than FH and I've never heard that sung from Hibs supporters at ER or away.

When Celtc supporters are at ER now I'm sure the East give it a big boooooooo when that one starts.

Titch
15-11-2010, 11:57 PM
:agree:

I'm a fair bit older than FH and I've never heard that sung from Hibs supporters at ER or away.

When Celtc supporters are at ER now I'm sure the East give it a big boooooooo when that one starts.

never in my 24 years of going to the games either :confused:

i take my two young daughters of 4 and 5 with me to the games and if i heard this BILE sung they wouldn't be back either but then again we don't need support like them do we?

NOLA
16-11-2010, 05:28 AM
how many times a season do we need to drag this up again? it wont change, nothing we can say or moan or protest about it will make any difference, let it lie under the carpet, ignore it!

Green_one
16-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Jings the wife is right, there is nothing wrong with the sound on the TV.

I have obviously been standing / sitting around in the East ,oblivious to all the Irish rebel songs. God I hope my eyesight has been as poor because we have looked **** a lot of the time.

Seriously guys. The Home Rule link to Hibs died in the 1890s and the rebel songs (apart from the odd bus) were almost totally gone by the 70s. In case you cannot do the maths thats 30 years ago. A lot of the support were not even born. Can we please stop letting others off the hook for their madness by admitting to something we simply do not do. :rolleyes: