PDA

View Full Version : Last time Hibs & Hertz beat the Infirm

sunshine1875
13-11-2010, 08:26 AM
.......interesting that the attendance at Ibrox was only 11,000. Quite a change from today, is it not? Yet, was this not a time when the Hibs had good attendences at ER. For those older than I, what were attendances like in the early 70's.

Saturday 29 April, 1972

Rangers 1, Hibernian 2

Scorers: Rangers: Johnstone. Hibs: Auld, O'Rourke.

Rangers: Peter McCloy, Sandy Jardine, Willie Mathieson, Andy Penman, Colin Jackson, Dave Smith, Tommy McLean, Derek Johnstone, Colin Stein, Alex MacDonald, Willie Johnston. Sub used: Jim Denny

Hibernian: Jim Herriot, John Brownlie, Erich Schaedler, Pat Stanton, Jim Black, John Blackley, Bertie Auld, John Hazel, Alan Gordon, Jimmy O'Rourke, Alex McGhee. Sub used: Billy McEwan

Attendance: 11,000

Hearts 4, Celtic 1

Scorers: Hearts: T Murray, Ford, Renton, Brown. Celtic: Murdoch pen.

Hearts: Kenny Garland, Ian Sneddon, Dave Clunie, Eddie Thomson, Alan Anderson, Wilson Wood, Tommy Murray, Jim Brown, Donald Ford, Derek Renton, Andy Lynch. Sub not used: Eric Carruthers

Celtic: Evan Williams, Jim Craig, Jim Brogan, Bobby Murdoch, Billy McNeill, George Connelly, Harry Hood, David Hay, Dixie Deans, Lou Macari, Kenny Dalglish.

Attendance: 10,124

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/1972-the-last-time-Hibs.6622911.jp

Golden Bear
13-11-2010, 08:34 AM
.......interesting that the attendance at Ibrox was only 11,000. Quite a change from today, is it not? Yet, was this not a time when the Hibs had good attendences at ER. For those older than I, what were attendances like in the early 70's.

Saturday 29 April, 1972

Rangers 1, Hibernian 2

Scorers: Rangers: Johnstone. Hibs: Auld, O'Rourke.

Rangers: Peter McCloy, Sandy Jardine, Willie Mathieson, Andy Penman, Colin Jackson, Dave Smith, Tommy McLean, Derek Johnstone, Colin Stein, Alex MacDonald, Willie Johnston. Sub used: Jim Denny

Hibernian: Jim Herriot, John Brownlie, Erich Schaedler, Pat Stanton, Jim Black, John Blackley, Bertie Auld, John Hazel, Alan Gordon, Jimmy O'Rourke, Alex McGhee. Sub used: Billy McEwan

Attendance: 11,000

Hearts 4, Celtic 1

Scorers: Hearts: T Murray, Ford, Renton, Brown. Celtic: Murdoch pen.

Hearts: Kenny Garland, Ian Sneddon, Dave Clunie, Eddie Thomson, Alan Anderson, Wilson Wood, Tommy Murray, Jim Brown, Donald Ford, Derek Renton, Andy Lynch. Sub not used: Eric Carruthers

Celtic: Evan Williams, Jim Craig, Jim Brogan, Bobby Murdoch, Billy McNeill, George Connelly, Harry Hood, David Hay, Dixie Deans, Lou Macari, Kenny Dalglish.

Attendance: 10,124

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/1972-the-last-time-Hibs.6622911.jp

Average attendance was probably not that much different to what we're getting today.

The bigger games attracted more fans but marginally fewer fans for your average league games.

Different ground capacities and very little live TV coverage in these days.

Moulin Yarns
13-11-2010, 08:37 AM
I came across this little gem

In 1974-75 it was as you were as the four top sides all won. And while there may have been a falling away in support from the Old Firm, interest was still strong elsewhere. This writer was one of the 13,272 in attendance at Easter Road to watch Hibernian beat Kilmarnock 2-1 on the unfeasibly early date for a football game of July 27th.

Guess the competition :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
13-11-2010, 08:38 AM
I find those shockingly low attendances - especially the game at Ibrox.

sh00byd00
13-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Yeah, before Souness and Murray appeared, I remember ibrox being like a ghost town. yet funnily enough, almost every Rangers fan you meet today, that are old enough to remember the '80's claim that they were there supporting them through the 'hard' times. My arse yous were, you's were busy running around with Dundee Utd tops on.

Golden Bear
13-11-2010, 08:39 AM

In 1974-75 it was as you were as the four top sides all won. And while there may have been a falling away in support from the Old Firm, interest was still strong elsewhere. This writer was one of the 13,272 in attendance at Easter Road to watch Hibernian beat Kilmarnock 2-1 on the unfeasibly early date for a football game of July 27th.

Dryburgh Cup?

Alfred E Newman
13-11-2010, 08:41 AM
These were end of season games in the days when large capacity, terraced grounds meant there was no demand for season tickets. Attendances at meaningless games always tailed off at that time.

Alfred E Newman
13-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah, before Souness and Murray appeared, I remember ibrox being like a ghost town. yet funnily enough, almost every Rangers fan you meet today, that are old enough to remember the '80's claim that they were there supporting them through the 'hard' times. My arse yous were, you's were busy running around with Dundee Utd tops on.

I can also remember being at Ibrox to watch Hibs play Rangers in 1969 for a Scottish Cup 1st round tie in 1969 in front of almost 70000

down-the-slope
13-11-2010, 08:48 AM
I find those shockingly low attendances - especially the game at Ibrox.

Very common in the dumps that were Ibrox and Parkhead (was at Parkhead in early 80's with only 12,000 ish....

Until the ground redevelopment was complete (3 new stands anyway) attaendance was poor..can remember games during the redevelopment where the lack of one side of the stadium was no problem due to small crowds.

PS - it seems to have been forgotten that it was not Murry who started the revolution by building the first phases of the new Ibrox...He inherited the club on an upward trend and with increasing non match day incomes as well as the growing crowds

Phil D. Rolls
13-11-2010, 08:49 AM

League Cup, group stages.

Phil D. Rolls
13-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Very common in the dumps that were Ibrox and Parkhead (was at Parkhead in early 80's with only 12,000 ish....

Until the ground redevelopment was complete (3 new stands anyway) attaendance was poor..can remember games during the redevelopment where the lack of one side of the stadium was no problem due to small crowds.

PS - it seems to have been forgotten that it was not Murry who started the revolution by building the first phases of the new Ibrox...He inherited the club on an upward trend and with increasing non match day incomes as well as the growing crowds

I know they had poor crowds at Ibrox during reconstruction, all the club's money was going into the stands. I just find it strange the crowd was so low in 1972, that was the year they won the Cup Winner's Cup after all.

Moulin Yarns
13-11-2010, 08:53 AM
In April 1972 we played

22/4/1972 Morton at home in front of 7131 (1-0 win)
24/4/1972 Rangers at Hampden in a Scottish Cup Replay in front of 57,645 (2-0 win)
29/4/1972 Rangers away in front of 13,124 (2-1 win)

and then

6/5/1972 Celtic at Hampden in the Scottish Cup Final (my first!) in front of 105,909

Yes kids over 100,000 at Hampden for a Hibs game

Moulin Yarns
13-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Dryburgh Cup?

give the man a coconut :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
13-11-2010, 08:55 AM
In April 1972 we played

24/4/1972 Rangers at Hampden in a Scottish Cup Replay in front of 57,645 (2-0 win)

and then

6/5/1972 Celtic at Hampden in the Scottish Cup Final (my first!) in front of 105,909

Did we win? :greengrin

Moulin Yarns
13-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Did we win? :greengrin

You call yourself a Hibs supporter :bitchy: And if you know your history....

It didn't put me off returning for two Dryburgh Cup and a League cup win the following couple of years

WindyMiller
13-11-2010, 09:00 AM
I was at that game and it was probably the only game in that era were I felt no fear as there was almost as many of us on the terraces as them. :thumbsup:

We'd beat them in the Semi-final of the cup a week or so earlier, something we did with monotonous regularity at that time.

The domestic season was over for them but we were still on a high, with "the Scottish Cup in the bag". :yawn:

EDIT: thanks for posting that Pitlochry!

Moulin Yarns
13-11-2010, 09:00 AM
In April 1972 we played

and then

with thanks to ihibs (http://www.ihibs.co.uk/) for the info, brilliant site for an anorak :thumbsup:

Ray_
13-11-2010, 10:44 AM
I can also remember being at Ibrox to watch Hibs play Rangers in 1969 for a Scottish Cup 1st round tie in 1969 in front of almost 70000

Colin Bloody Stein:grr:

Ray_
13-11-2010, 10:47 AM
I was at that game and it was probably the only game in that era were I felt no fear as there was almost as many of us on the terraces as them. :thumbsup:

We'd beat them in the Semi-final of the cup a week or so earlier, something we did with monotonous regularity at that time.

The domestic season was over for them but we were still on a high, with "the Scottish Cup in the bag". :yawn:

EDIT: thanks for posting that Pitlochry!

I was there as well & although der hun's domestic season was over, they were looking forward to the cup winners cup final.

Hibbyradge
13-11-2010, 11:21 AM
These were end of season games in the days when large capacity, terraced grounds meant there was no demand for season tickets. Attendances at meaningless games always tailed off at that time.

Can you imagine what a 16 team SPL would bring?

WindyMiller
13-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I was there as well & although der hun's domestic season was over, they were looking forward to the cup winners cup final.

True Ray, but IIRC we beat them in about 4/5 S.Finals either side of that match.

Unfortunately my life as a Hibby wasn't always as good as those days.:rolleyes: