PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got advice on buying a nice Watch?

Craig_in_Prague
11-11-2010, 08:02 PM
The better halves birthday next month, she's 30 (big birthday here) and I know she'd like a very decent watch. I've got an idea of the style/design and make I like, but if anyone has any tips or success stories on buying a decent watch for a lady, please advise!

Cheers.

HibsMax
11-11-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm guessing that you want it to be a surprise but you could shop for the watch together, that way you get exactly what she wants (at least what she wants at that moment in time :wink:). Take her watch shopping, go out for a nice lunch and then take her home and ask her to model it for you sans clothes so that you're not distracted by her attire.

Hibs Class
11-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm guessing that you want it to be a surprise but you could shop for the watch together, that way you get exactly what she wants (at least what she wants at that moment in time :wink:). Take her watch shopping, go out for a nice lunch and then take her home and ask her to model it for you sans clothes so that you're not distracted by her attire.

Good advice - I've given up trying to choose watches or jewellery for my wife as it always involves two trips into town: one to buy it and another to take it back.

HibsMax
11-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Good advice - I've given up trying to choose watches or jewellery for my wife as it always involves two trips into town: one to buy it and another to take it back.

Indeed. The most interesting part of the OP is this line:
"I've got an idea of the style/design and make I like"

Sorry to be blunt but who cares what YOU like? :wink: I'm lucky if I'm allowed to like anything.

Lucius Apuleius
12-11-2010, 10:29 AM
cannot argue with any of the advice or comments given thus far. However, I did buy the last couple fro the missus. Last one was for our 25th Anniversary. Said it was a ridiculous amount to pay for a watch but has never had it off since!

HibsMax
12-11-2010, 03:58 PM
cannot argue with any of the advice or comments given thus far. However, I did buy the last couple fro the missus. Last one was for our 25th Anniversary. Said it was a ridiculous amount to pay for a watch but has never had it off since!
Perhaps she expected you to spend more than 1.99 for such a significant anniversary? :wink:

Lucius Apuleius
13-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Perhaps she expected you to spend more than 1.99 for such a significant anniversary? :wink:

:greengrin: Maybe that is why I have never had it off since then as well.

steakbake
13-11-2010, 08:51 AM
The better halves birthday next month, she's 30 (big birthday here) and I know she'd like a very decent watch. I've got an idea of the style/design and make I like, but if anyone has any tips or success stories on buying a decent watch for a lady, please advise!

Cheers.

Don't make her a prisoner to time!

Leicester Fan
13-11-2010, 11:47 AM

Shame. After spending all that money you'd expect at least a quick shuffle.

Phil D. Rolls
13-11-2010, 01:15 PM
I bought a Seksi watch for her indoors. After about six or seven outings the clip on the strap broke. Luckily the watch wasn't used.

We took it back to Classic Collections, South Trinity Road, Edinburgh, where after trying it on with us about the Sale of Goods Act, the owner and her charming assistant, were forced to refund the money.

This was done with great reluctance, and they claimed that they had been having problems with these watches (despite the fact the were still offering Seksi watches for sale).

I don't know whether Seksi watches are dodgy or not, but they are a nice looking watch for the price. However, make sure you know where you stand if you are buying from Classic Collections, South Trinity Road, Edinburgh. The shop assistant is gruff, rude and probably gets off on bullying the pensioners who normally shop there.

Gus
14-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Diesel do a nice range/guess. Rotary also

There is a nice hibby who works in H Samuels at Ocean Terminal on a saturday.:greengrin