PDA

View Full Version : NHC Jim Farry passes away

ancienthibby
11-11-2010, 06:05 AM
Beeb radio reporting that Jim Farry, ex-head of the SFA for many years, passed away last night from a heart attack.

s.a.m
11-11-2010, 06:43 AM
Saddened to hear that.

(He was probably finished off by Lennon's antics......:greengrin)

bawheid
11-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Sad if true.

By all accounts he was a top administrator. I'm sure I recall both Roxburgh and Brown saying he was a master at negotiating qualifying fixtures for Euros and World Cups.

H18sry
11-11-2010, 05:52 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9178315.stm

Only 55 thot he was older than that.

Bishop Hibee
11-11-2010, 06:14 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9178315.stm

Only 55 thot he was older than that.

Amazed he was only 55. One of those guys who I assumed was born looking 50, complete with blazer!

His legacy is the missed opportunity that was the redevelopment of the national stadium.

New Corrie
11-11-2010, 06:39 PM
very sad, but I along with the others can't believe how young he was. He must have been at the SFA when he was 12. When I clicked on the BBC link, I expected to read.....Farry (79) passed away after a blah blah blah...........

As Bishop says, he must have been born 50

Killiehibbie
11-11-2010, 06:49 PM
I thought there must be a mistake but he was only 24 when he become League Secretary and 35 when he took over from Ernie Walker.

Phil D. Rolls
11-11-2010, 07:57 PM
RIP our petty and ill informed Uberadministrator.

Seanair
11-11-2010, 09:04 PM
RIP our petty and ill informed Uberadministrator.

Agree. Sorry that he's died, but he was a jobsworth of the lowest order. Knew all the rules backwards, but no commonsense.

CropleyWasGod
11-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Agree. Sorry that he's died, but he was a jobsworth of the lowest order. Knew all the rules backwards, but no commonsense.

...but, according to my mate who worked closely with him, a great guy to work with and an extremely decent bloke too.

Baader
11-11-2010, 09:19 PM
RIP. Hope someone remembers to register the death...

heretoday
12-11-2010, 08:40 AM
I suppose we'll all have to observe a minute's silence/noise at the weekend.

It's always depressing when someone younger than you dies like that.

Mind you he had the body of a 75 year old.

khib70
12-11-2010, 09:34 AM
No need, eh? Grow up.

Jim Farry may not have been everyone's idea of a drinking companion but he worked tirelessly for Scotland, and according to people who (unlike yourself) knew him, he was a long way off being the fuddy duddy he was held up to be. Under his administration, Scotland competed in four World Cups and two European Championships.

And as I remember, he lost his job as a result of a previous phase of Parkhead Paranoia.

RIP Jim.

Phil D. Rolls
12-11-2010, 10:06 AM

I'd just like to point out that I wasn't really getting at Jim Farry, just picking up on a famous remark that he made about the Off the Ball team.

JimBHibees
12-11-2010, 10:15 AM
No need, eh? Grow up.

Jim Farry may not have been everyone's idea of a drinking companion but he worked tirelessly for Scotland, and according to people who (unlike yourself) knew him, he was a long way off being the fuddy duddy he was held up to be. Under his administration, Scotland competed in four World Cups and two European Championships.

And as I remember, he lost his job as a result of a previous phase of Parkhead Paranoia.
RIP Jim.

He lost his job because he was found to have deliberately delayed the registration of a player which meant he missed a cup semi final against Rangers. Incredible.

Phil D. Rolls
12-11-2010, 10:19 AM
He lost his job because he was found to have deliberately delayed the registration of a player which meant he missed a cup semi final against Rangers. Incredible.

Jorge Cadete :agree: Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

--------
12-11-2010, 10:22 AM
When someone at the SFA is investigated by others at the SFA regarding a complaint by one or other of the Gruesome Twosome....

'Where is truth?' I ask myself.

Maybe he did, and maybe he didn't. He wouldn't have been the first (or last) to be shafted by one or other faction in the old Park Gardens mob. Or by one of the OF.

Anyhow - sincere condolences to his folks. He did a far better job for Scotland than the present mob are doing.

s.a.m
12-11-2010, 10:29 AM

He did, and I was disappointed that he allowed himself to 'get personal' in his relationship with Celtic. However, he was the last football administrator Scotland had (and possibly will ever see again) who worked (tirelessly, by all accounts) for the whole of Scottish football, and resisted attempts by the powerful to shift the goalposts in their favour. His public persona made him an easy target for ridicule, and their were times when a bit of flexibility would not have gone amiss, but ultimately, he was a lone voice in the fight to stop the powerful minority, and television companies, from gaining a stranglehold on the game.

H18sry
12-11-2010, 10:32 AM
I suppose we'll all have to observe a minute's silence/noise at the weekend.

It's always depressing when someone younger than you dies like that.

Mind you he had the body of a 75 year old.

:hmmm: is that not happening anyway:wink:

CropleyWasGod
12-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Cracking quote from the Telegraph....

"They are promulgating the admission of Jim Farry to football bureaucrat heaven. And it will be duly homologated"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/scottish-premier/8127520/Jim-Farry-Scottish-Football-Association-chief-executive-and-football-administrator-par-excellence.html

--------
12-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Cracking quote from the Telegraph....

"They are promulgating the admission of Jim Farry to football bureaucrat heaven. And it will be duly homologated"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/scottish-premier/8127520/Jim-Farry-Scottish-Football-Association-chief-executive-and-football-administrator-par-excellence.html

The last wee paragraph is absolutely accurate.

And I wonder where the 'lost' paperwork regarding Cadete's transfer disappeared to?

CropleyWasGod
12-11-2010, 01:00 PM
The last wee paragraph is absolutely accurate.

And I wonder where the 'lost' paperwork regarding Cadete's transfer disappeared to?

Apparently, he had a gagging clause in his severance package, so I suppose we will never know.

Hibs Class
12-11-2010, 01:34 PM
No need, eh? Grow up.

RIP Jim.

Both true, but additional context is that it took around three years of dogged persistence from Parkhead before he finally lost his job.

CropleyWasGod
12-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Both true, but additional context is that it took around three years of dogged persistence from Parkhead before he finally lost his job.

It has to be said, though, that Fergus McCann never took the line that there was a conspiracy against Celtic. It was others who took up that convenient cudgel.

Seanair
12-11-2010, 03:52 PM
No need, eh? Grow up.

RIP Jim.

So Scotland qualified for 4 World Cups and 2 European Championships BECAUSE Jim Farry was Chie***ecutive of the SFA? Aye right!
I don't care if he was a great drinking companion--he was a pedantic administrator who loved to flaunt his knowledge of "The Rules" to the detriment of the game:grr:

CropleyWasGod
12-11-2010, 04:09 PM
So Scotland qualified for 4 World Cups and 2 European Championships BECAUSE Jim Farry was Chie***ecutive of the SFA? Aye right!
I don't care if he was a great drinking companion--he was a pedantic administrator who loved to flaunt his knowledge of "The Rules" to the detriment of the game:grr:

Craig Brown was on the radio last night talking about how good JF was at negotiating the schedule of games in Scotland's qualifying. CB would tell him what he wanted, and JF delivered them every time. CB was extremely grateful for that. Given our recent experience (Macedonia away in summer??), his contribution shouldn't be undervalued.

He was also the first administrator to recognise the commercial possibilities in the game. Within a matter of months of being appointed as the youngest ever secretary of the League, he had secured the first-ever sponsorship for the competition.

Pedantic? Yes. Detriment to the game? Absolutely not.

basehibby
12-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Off he goes to the great promulgation in the sky - RIP Jum

Dashing Bob S
12-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Apparently, he had a gagging clause in his severance package, so I suppose we will never know.

Whereas the only claws in FJK's package will be Gary Locke's - gagging for it.

Iggy Pope
12-11-2010, 08:48 PM

If he was a hun, then he was not your typical one - he went to war with the crown when they dared put the Scotland international off during their day of promulgation for the ridiculously over-hyped funeral of the Princess of Hearts...can't see behaviour like that being looked upon fondly from Greyskull somehow.

new malkyhib
12-11-2010, 10:45 PM
If he was a hun, then he was not your typical one - he went to war with the crown when they dared put the Scotland international off during their day of promulgation for the ridiculously over-hyped funeral of the Princess of Hearts...can't see behaviour like that being looked upon fondly from Greyskull somehow.

exactly - nailed it when he mentioned all the crocodile tears that were being shed during the Daily Mail-sponsored national weep-in at the time...

CropleyWasGod
12-11-2010, 10:54 PM

Wasn't the Crown, to be fair. He actually contacted Buck House, and they were okay with the game going ahead.

jgl07
13-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Wasn't the Crown, to be fair. He actually contacted Buck House, and they were okay with the game going ahead.
Tam Cowan suggested that the game go ahead but the players all bang into the tunnel on their way in out of respect!

Phil D. Rolls
13-11-2010, 07:58 AM

I think the crown would rather the whole thing had gone off with minimum publicity, even though the Duke of Ediburgh had nothing to do with her death.

exactly - nailed it when he mentioned all the crocodile tears that were being shed during the Daily Mail-sponsored national weep-in at the time...

I think it went way beyond the Daily Mail, the whole country lost the plot, there were a lot of spontaneous gestures from people who transferred their own pathetic situations onto Diana's. They weren't weeping for her, it was for themselves.

I think it's one situation where Farry might have used a bit of common sense.