PDA

View Full Version : Is Yogi On The Wind-Up?

Speedway
11-11-2010, 02:01 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9172884.stm

Former manager John Hughes is urging Hibernian to give his successor, Colin Calderwood, more time than he had.

"The club needs stability and continuity," said Hughes, who left Easter Road after 17 months in charge.

"You have to give Colin three years. He has to bring one or two of his own players in. Shuffle his pack a bit and he has to be backed to the hilt.

"My frustration is good, bad or indifferent, no matter how it goes, I thought we did a right good job."

Former Falkirk boss Hughes stepped down in early October, with Hibs having picked up five points from their opening seven matches in the Scottish Premier League.

Since then, Hibs have slipped a place in the league to 11th, picking up just three more points.

And those came in a home win against Kilmarnock, overseen by coaches Gareth Evans and Alistair Stevenson.

Calderwood has a record of three straight defeats since arriving in Edinburgh from his coaching post at Newcastle, including a sorry 2-0 reverse in Sunday's Edinburgh derby.

Hughes insists that he is not bitter about the way he left the club. However, he was disappointed to lose his job so early in the season and remains proud of his achievements at the club he represented as a player from 1996 to 2000.

The culture at Easter Road has to change but you need time to change it

John Hughes
"We got them fourth place in the league and qualified for Europe in our first year in charge," he told BBC Scotland.

"If I asked people at the club, what do you want from me? I possibly surpassed their expectations and we did all this despite after just one week into the job losing our two best players in Rob Jones and Steven Fletcher.

"I made mistakes and I have no problem in owning up to that. Probably losing in the Scottish Cup to Ross County was the turning point. But look what happens in the game. They go to Hampden and beat Celtic in the semi-final. That's football.

"My plans were there. I was looking to change the whole culture at the club. Starting at 9.00am and still being there at 4.00pm in the afternoon. During that time the players would be in the gym, doing strength and conditioning then going out onto the training pitch.

"The culture at Easter Road has to change but you need time to change it."

Hibs have struggled to replace the goals of Anthony Stokes
Hughes pointed out that it was his influence that persuaded Anthony Stokes to join Hibs in the summer of 2009 and the striker repaid him with 22 goals.

However, the player was sold to Celtic at the end of the August transfer window and has already hit eight goals for his new employers.

"If I knew four games after we let him go to Celtic that I'd be out of a job, I'd have fought harder to keep him," admitted Hughes, who expressed his desire to return to management.

"But I thought the club would understand that we were losing 22 goals and we would need to batten down the hatches."

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee is currently feeling the heat after a run of poor results and Hughes has sympathy for his former opponent.

Hughes was in the stand at Celtic Park watching the Dons lose 9-0 and said he understands the pain McGhee is going through.

"I watched the interview with Mark and I could see that he still wants to get up in the morning and take on the challenge and turn that around and that was exactly the same at Hibs.

"All he needs is a board to back him. I took a Falkirk team to Parkhead for a CIS Cup tie and got turned over 8-0. I was under the bed!

"But I still knew where I was going and the board backed me knowing it was work in progress. Two years later we went back and beat Celtic on penalties. That's because I was given the opportunity and the chance by the club."

Phil D. Rolls
12-11-2010, 11:54 AM
"But I thought the club would understand that we were losing 22 goals and we would need to batten down the hatches."

Surely it is the manager's job to get that message across? There was little evidence of hatches being battened down from what I could see, and I must have missed Yogi saying it was necessary in one of his Nostradamus moments.

--------
12-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Surely it is the manager's job to get that message across? There was little evidence of hatches being battened down from what I could see, and I must have missed Yogi saying it was necessary in one of his Nostradamus moments.

I am increasingly of the opinion that Yogi is actually channelling the spirit of the late Professor Stanley Unwin.

:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFB_FS9rV0c&feature=fvw

Phil D. Rolls
12-11-2010, 12:06 PM
I am increasingly of the opinion that Yogi is actually channelling the spirit of the late Professor Stanley Unwin.

:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFB_FS9rV0c&feature=fvw

Deep joy. :greengrin

This is a very good question and topicold. I would say that if the forward line have a symmetrical teamworkers and that they can from the first passit of the ball... take in mind the measured beat of a one, two, throo or fido... so that the ball can falollop out to the wingers and a very fine trittly how in a run and drop-kick and carry one and shooting in the goal if they can get by without an offsiger which is known on the ref and don't throw the bottload because he's only doing his best.

But, er, it'll be hard on their halfbackers because I don't think they'll get a chance to do a falolloper shooty on account of the front line with their deep joy of, shall we say, an express in their enthusiasm to the first who to clop falollop in the goalmouth. Oh yes. Anyway it's a very good question, sir. It's not much about music excepting that half-time in the band falolloped huffalo-dowd.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Stanley_Unwin_%28comedian%29

--------
12-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Deep joy. :greengrin

This is a very good question and topicold. I would say that if the forward line have a symmetrical teamworkers and that they can from the first passit of the ball... take in mind the measured beat of a one, two, throo or fido... so that the ball can falollop out to the wingers and a very fine trittly how in a run and drop-kick and carry one and shooting in the goal if they can get by without an offsiger which is known on the ref and don't throw the bottload because he's only doing his best.

But, er, it'll be hard on their halfbackers because I don't think they'll get a chance to do a falolloper shooty on account of the front line with their deep joy of, shall we say, an express in their enthusiasm to the first who to clop falollop in the goalmouth. Oh yes. Anyway it's a very good question, sir. It's not much about music excepting that half-time in the band falolloped huffalo-dowd.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Stanley_Unwin_%28comedian%29

Couldn't have put it better myself. :agree:

I rest my case. :greengrin

Andy74
12-11-2010, 12:28 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9172884.stm

Former manager John Hughes is urging Hibernian to give his successor, Colin Calderwood, more time than he had.

"The club needs stability and continuity," said Hughes, who left Easter Road after 17 months in charge.

"You have to give Colin three years. He has to bring one or two of his own players in. Shuffle his pack a bit and he has to be backed to the hilt.

"My frustration is good, bad or indifferent, no matter how it goes, I thought we did a right good job."

Former Falkirk boss Hughes stepped down in early October, with Hibs having picked up five points from their opening seven matches in the Scottish Premier League.

Since then, Hibs have slipped a place in the league to 11th, picking up just three more points.

And those came in a home win against Kilmarnock, overseen by coaches Gareth Evans and Alistair Stevenson.

Calderwood has a record of three straight defeats since arriving in Edinburgh from his coaching post at Newcastle, including a sorry 2-0 reverse in Sunday's Edinburgh derby.

Hughes insists that he is not bitter about the way he left the club. However, he was disappointed to lose his job so early in the season and remains proud of his achievements at the club he represented as a player from 1996 to 2000.

The culture at Easter Road has to change but you need time to change it

John Hughes
"We got them fourth place in the league and qualified for Europe in our first year in charge," he told BBC Scotland.

"If I asked people at the club, what do you want from me? I possibly surpassed their expectations and we did all this despite after just one week into the job losing our two best players in Rob Jones and Steven Fletcher.

"I made mistakes and I have no problem in owning up to that. Probably losing in the Scottish Cup to Ross County was the turning point. But look what happens in the game. They go to Hampden and beat Celtic in the semi-final. That's football.

"My plans were there. I was looking to change the whole culture at the club. Starting at 9.00am and still being there at 4.00pm in the afternoon. During that time the players would be in the gym, doing strength and conditioning then going out onto the training pitch.

"The culture at Easter Road has to change but you need time to change it."

Hibs have struggled to replace the goals of Anthony Stokes
Hughes pointed out that it was his influence that persuaded Anthony Stokes to join Hibs in the summer of 2009 and the striker repaid him with 22 goals.

However, the player was sold to Celtic at the end of the August transfer window and has already hit eight goals for his new employers.

"If I knew four games after we let him go to Celtic that I'd be out of a job, I'd have fought harder to keep him," admitted Hughes, who expressed his desire to return to management.

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee is currently feeling the heat after a run of poor results and Hughes has sympathy for his former opponent.

Hughes was in the stand at Celtic Park watching the Dons lose 9-0 and said he understands the pain McGhee is going through.

"I watched the interview with Mark and I could see that he still wants to get up in the morning and take on the challenge and turn that around and that was exactly the same at Hibs.

"All he needs is a board to back him. I took a Falkirk team to Parkhead for a CIS Cup tie and got turned over 8-0. I was under the bed!

"But I still knew where I was going and the board backed me knowing it was work in progress. Two years later we went back and beat Celtic on penalties. That's because I was given the opportunity and the chance by the club."

Not much if anyhting that isn't true there.

Having sold Fletcher and Jones he did surpass expecations by finishing 4th in his first year.

He's clear that the whole culture needs changed at the club but that it takes time. Time that the new manager must get.

He's admitted to making mistakes and that the Ross County game was the turning point.

It's also right that having sold Stokes the club should have known what the impact of that would be short term and that althugh he agreed to it from a footballing sense if he knew that the club were not going to take into consideration and sack him then he'd have fought against it.

Still, people have already decided what they want about everything Hughes says!

proud_and_green
12-11-2010, 12:48 PM

Having sold Fletcher and Jones he did surpass expecations by finishing 4th in his first year.

He's clear that the whole culture needs changed at the club but that it takes time. Time that the new manager must get.

He's admitted to making mistakes and that the Ross County game was the turning point.

It's also right that having sold Stokes the club should have known what the impact of that would be short term and that althugh he agreed to it from a footballing sense if he knew that the club were not going to take into consideration and sack him then he'd have fought against it.

I agree absolutely that CC must be given time - and that is by the fans more than anything. I don't agree though that change should take its time. A new manager must set out his stall immediately and make it clear from day one what he expects. Incremental change doesn't work where the change required is cultural reasons it reinforces thwe old way and encourages confusion and dissent. Strong leadership means taking difficult decisions for the right reasons and being clear in the communication of them. Those who are not happy can leave!

Hopefully that is what CC has done already.

Judas Iscariot
12-11-2010, 12:51 PM

Spot on :agree:

Andy74
12-11-2010, 12:53 PM
I agree absolutely that CC must be given time - and that is by the fans more than anything. I don't agree though that change should take its time. A new manager must set out his stall immediately and make it clear from day one what he expects. Incremental change doesn't work where the change required is cultural reasons it reinforces thwe old way and encourages confusion and dissent. Strong leadership means taking difficult decisions for the right reasons and being clear in the communication of them. Those who are not happy can leave!

Hopefully that is what CC has done already.

It's a bit different with contracted staff that you can't shift until certain windows and even then only when someone else wants them. You also need to be lucky that you can then bring people in who will change things for the better.

In football changing a team and the whole culture of the club can take a long time.

3pm
12-11-2010, 12:58 PM

Considering Mixu finished 6th with the rubbish he had, have things really dipped that we couldn't aim for 4th every given he had better players at his disposal? Could you imagine the clowns over the road having the same mentality?

He talks about changing the culture but signs Stokes - I have never witnessed any of his nonsense first hand but the stories on here indicate he was an idiot and wouldn't fit in with these ideals that John Hughes had / culture he would have changed. Liam Miller has had previous issues by all account as well.

Jones and Fletcher weren't an issue when the results were coming week after week even if the performances weren't. I do agree that Jones in particular has been a huge miss not only because he was a proper defender (albeit had faults) but because of his influence. But I go back to the same point - why bring it up now? He had 3 windows to address the Jones situation and couldn't do it. On the positve side though, we had a right 'good school of goalies'.

He should shut up, lick his wounds and come back and prove us wrong - or more importantly prove to himself he has the credentials to be a good SPL manager.

Phil D. Rolls
12-11-2010, 12:59 PM

The problem is that it's never 100% clear what Yogi is saying. He is often wise after the event, and he frequently contradicts himself.

For example, is he saying that he messed up big style against Ross County, or is he saying we deserved to lose because they beat Celtic. "That's football" isn't really an explanation.

Fair play to him, he has to make a case to other clubs in order to get a new job, but he was in charge of the team and they didn't batten down the hatches.

IMO it's significant that the board waited until after the Maribor game to let Stokes go. Maybe if Yogi had been able to generate some money from Europe, or a Scottish Cup run they wouldn't have had to sell.

IWasThere2016
12-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Andy74 'already decided' that includes you also :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Turning point for me was the St Johnstone game. Made we realise that the culture could have changed overnight at ER and we could have eleven super fit super heroes running out on the park and he still couldn't mould them into a team. Was the cry of " you don't know what you're doing", ever more appropriate??

Speedway
12-11-2010, 07:40 PM

No, the guy throws in another two chances to glimpse his cliches demonstrating that he hasn't got many ways of expressing his views and just keeps talking.

Then the owner of Hibs worst ever run claims that he surpassed expectations by limping to forth.

Then he was saying the best two players left despite Rod making him aware of that and his early interviews acknowledging that.

Then inadvertently admits that he let his top goalscorer go too easily and then tries to cover by suggesting that the board should have had the esp to know that yogi had automatically downgraded our chances in all competitions this season as a result!!

Shows that his 'management' be it people or projects, was sadly lacking.

proud_and_green
19-11-2010, 02:15 PM
It's a bit different with contracted staff that you can't shift until certain windows and even then only when someone else wants them. You also need to be lucky that you can then bring people in who will change things for the better.

In football changing a team and the whole culture of the club can take a long time.

That is not the point i was making - well not all of it - i understand that where someone has a contract then the you have to have a very good reason for terminating it. However, the point stands about a new manager - and it doesn't matter whether it is in football or whatever - must make his mark at the very start and ensure that the changes to culture particularly happen immediately. Incremental changes to culture do not work.

Steve-O
20-11-2010, 04:37 AM
How long exactly did Yogi want to make training 9-4? Plenty of tales here about players being spotted in the bookies LONG before 4pm most days of the week :confused:

IWasThere2016
20-11-2010, 08:54 AM
If you hear him on the wireless or see the grinning wonder on the box reach for the volume - its simpler and kinder all round. Listening to or talking about his haverings on here is just gonna encourage him to gibber longer and more often. The man was/is deluded.