PDA

View Full Version : John Rankin

Greentinted
10-11-2010, 09:10 PM
From what I saw tonight (via Huns telly), the performance from Rankin appeared confident, self-assured and motivated. What a difference in the guy. Along with Bamba and Brown, he proved that there is the making of a decent side in this group but its very early days. Potential is only worthwhile if its fulfilled!
This has to built upon and finally the bar has been raised to an acceptable level. If CC can nurture this into something that endures, we wont have much to moan about in a few months time.
Anyway, after the stick JR has taken (rightly so), its only right and proper he gets the plaudits when deserving of them. For everyone concerned with Hibernian FC, consistency is key!

Hibbyradge
10-11-2010, 09:14 PM
I guess with only 45000 huns and 280 Hibbies in the stadium, there were less people screaming abuse at him than usual tonight.

LaMotta
10-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Rankin always seems like a confident player to me - certainly never hides. Well done to him tonight:agree:

The Harp
10-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Always seems like Rankin is a scapegoat whenever things go wrong, so great to hear he put in a great performance tonight and got on the scoresheet.
Personally, I like the guy. He might not be up there with the best, but he invariably gives 100%.

steakbake
10-11-2010, 09:19 PM
So is this the apology thread?

It better be longer than the calendar signing one.

Dunbar Hibee
11-11-2010, 03:55 PM
So delighted for him last night, the amount of stick he takes is not right IMO. He doesn't always stand out but I have always said he is a good player and can do well at this club, and I think last night proved that. He might not always stand out and is often the scapegoat but he certainly stood out last night. :thumbsup:Really hoping he and the rest of the players can play like we did last night cause it showed we can take anyone on our day. :agree::thumbsup:

Mikeystewart
11-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Certainly hope Rankin and the rest of the team have turned a corner but have found most of the time he and many others will show a glimmer of quality once ever 10 games and that isn't good enough.

This is his and the teams chance to prove the doubters wrong(which there must be more than not).

Though I fear come Saturday tea time the status-quo will have resumed.

I hope I'm wrong

Dashing Bob S
11-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I admire you for starting a thread about this player that has his given name as well as his surname in it. This must be a first for Hibs.net.

Sprouleflyer
11-11-2010, 06:53 PM
So delighted for him last night, the amount of stick he takes is not right IMO. He doesn't always stand out but I have always said he is a good player and can do well at this club, and I think last night proved that. He might not always stand out and is often the scapegoat but he certainly stood out last night. :thumbsup:Really hoping he and the rest of the players can play like we did last night cause it showed we can take anyone on our day. :agree::thumbsup:

His goal was excellent, however he has been very poor.

At 3.00pm last Sunday, most hibs fans thought he was waisting a hibs strip after his first half performance.

Will he kick on and prove me and other fans wrong.........I will wait and see.

greenlex
11-11-2010, 10:22 PM
No apology from me.

crewetollhibee
11-11-2010, 10:32 PM
No apology from me.
Nor me. Rankin has to do what he did last night continually , and through the rest of the winter, for me to forget the number of times he has had me tearing my hair out in frustration, with his daft attempts at goal and aimless corner kicks.

basehibby
11-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Always seems like Rankin is a scapegoat whenever things go wrong, so great to hear he put in a great performance tonight and got on the scoresheet.
Personally, I like the guy. He might not be up there with the best, but he invariably gives 100%.

He's often guilty of the odd misplaced pass in a game which can be frustrating when things aren't going our way - but like you say he never hides and always puts a shift in.

He certainly scored a cracker last night and from what I'm hearing had a good game overall - hope he can build on it and add a bit more consistency to the quality of his performances :thumbsup:

greenlex
12-11-2010, 12:55 AM
Nor me. Rankin has to do what he did last night continually , and through the rest of the winter, for me to forget the number of times he has had me tearing my hair out in frustration, with his daft attempts at goal and aimless corner kicks.

You pick me up wrong Sir. I have no need to apologise.

1875godsgift
12-11-2010, 01:17 AM
I guess with only 45000 huns and 280 Hibbies in the stadium, there were less people screaming abuse at him than usual tonight.
A very good point the squiggler was at Darkheid was it not? He gives his all most games sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. He's obviously no Messi, he can be messy, that's why he's at Hibs, it's no rocket science is it? :wink:

jgl07
12-11-2010, 01:19 AM
A very good point the squiggler was at Darkheid was it not?
Surely it was at Easter Road.

1875godsgift
12-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Surely it was at Easter Road.
Aye your right man it was at home think am getting mixed up with when we beat them 2-1 ho hum old age n that!

IWasThere2016
12-11-2010, 06:43 AM
Great athlete - and highlights show a fine performance. So, well done to him! :agree:

We just need better performances more often now.

I concur with the Radge also - I dish the pelters here but never at the games, and the stick he and others get - especially at ER - is out or order IMO.

The 12th man has a HUGE role to play this week v the Muthas! :agree:

marinello59
12-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Great athlete - and highlights show a fine performance. So, well done to him! :agree:

We just need better performances more often now.

I concur with the Radge also - I dish the pelters here but never at the games, and the stick he and others get - especially at ER - is out or order IMO.

The 12th man has a HUGE role to play this week v the Muthas! :agree:
:agree: Let's hope we have a positive atmosphere going from start to finish

bob12345
12-11-2010, 08:54 AM
I think the majority of folk here have it right. His decision making, technical ability and execution have all been really woeful for the last year or so. However he has been in the team regularly under 3 managers so there must be something he's offering, perhaps in terms of balance.

I hope he can produce those performances week in week out, but let's not judge somebody on one game.

blackpoolhibs
12-11-2010, 09:01 AM
I think the majority of folk here have it right. His decision making, technical ability and execution have all been really woeful for the last year or so. However he has been in the team regularly under 3 managers so there must be something he's offering, perhaps in terms of balance.

I hope he can produce those performances week in week out, but let's not judge somebody on one game.

:agree: He's been a very poor to average player since the day he signed. If what we got on Wednesday is the new John Rankin, we will all be very pleased, but i will make my judgment on him over a much longer period than one game.

Stevie Reid
12-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Myself and the boys I go to ER with were ready to finally call time on JR after Sunday, when he was rightly hooked at half time. For him to come back in to the side and perform like he did on Wednesday says a lot about the guy's mentality, which is vital for us given the position we are in.

No doubt CC will look to bring in many of his own players when he has the chance, but until then he needs to get the very best out of who he has at his disposal. If Rankin can turn in performances like that most weeks, he'll earn himself a new contract, but consistency has always been his problem.

The opportunity's there for him though.

blackpoolhibs
12-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Myself and the boys I go to ER with were ready to finally call time on JR after Sunday, when he was rightly hooked at half time. For him to come back in to the side and perform like he did on Wednesday says a lot about the guy's mentality, which is vital for us given the position we are in.

No doubt CC will look to bring in many of his own players when he has the chance, but until then he needs to get the very best out of who he has at his disposal. If Rankin can turn in performances like that most weeks, he'll earn himself a new contract, but consistency has always been his problem.

The opportunity's there for him though.

:agree: And many others too.