PDA

View Full Version : Murray as captain

macca70
10-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Excellent decision by CC.

What Ian lacks in pace or skill, he more than makes up for in fight and commitment.

Hopefully, he stays fit and I think we have a new captain for remainder of the season :thumbsup:

Tonez
10-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Murray wears his heart on his sleeve, Prob the only player in this current squad you could say that about.

Would be a good choice. Always gives 100%:agree:

macca70
10-11-2010, 10:00 PM
What position did Murray play tonight?

down the slope
10-11-2010, 10:04 PM
he was in midfield, set the tone for the performance then ran out of steam, keep the armband on him for saturday.

hibee92
10-11-2010, 10:05 PM
he was in midfield, set the tone for the performance then ran out of steam, keep the armband on him for saturday.

derek's still out on saturday anyway so no reason to change it, but i agree, murray's far more suited to the captaincy than riordan, proven by the past couple games :agree:

silverhibee
10-11-2010, 11:11 PM
derek's still out on saturday anyway so no reason to change it, but i agree, murray's far more suited to the captaincy than riordan, proven by the past couple games :agree:

I think you will find that Deek will play this weekend.
And i think Deek will be the captain this weekend.

Baldy Foghorn
10-11-2010, 11:33 PM

Do you think he will walk straight back in after tonight's performance?

Removed
10-11-2010, 11:35 PM

Nah he's available but banned for St J game

I wouldn't put money on it

hibee4life1983
11-11-2010, 01:16 AM
Nah he's available but banned for St J game

I wouldn't put money on it

I would, cert imo

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2010, 08:11 AM
I would, cert imo

No player deserves to be dropped after a fantastic display and result, so why should deek get back in after his stupidity on Sunday?

WindyMiller
11-11-2010, 08:20 AM
When Edu was being treated/stretchered off CC and Ian had quite a long talk.

Interestingly (for me) he was talking with him not at him.

joejoefaemexico
11-11-2010, 08:26 AM
When Edu was being treated/stretchered off CC and Ian had quite a long talk.

Interestingly (for me) he was talking with him not at him.

Noticed that! very refreshing.

aberhibsfc
11-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Excellent decision by CC.

What Ian lacks in pace or skill, he more than makes up for in fight and commitment.

Hopefully, he stays fit and I think we have a new captain for remainder of the season :thumbsup:

We've been crying out for a player like Murray in this position for years since Matty Jack left. Roecastle then McBride until his injury. You need to have that kind of grit in midfield.

Murray is of far more use ability, influential and tactially wise in midfield than left back.

s.a.m
11-11-2010, 08:43 AM
No player deserves to be dropped after a fantastic display and result, so why should deek get back in after his stupidity on Sunday?

It's possible that CC will see Saturday's task differently from the one he set up the team for last night, though.

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2010, 08:46 AM
It's possible that CC will see Saturday's task differently from the one he set up the team for last night, though.

Maybe yes, but unless Trakys has weary legs he should not be dropped IMO

With home game CC might fancy 4-4-2, but shame that someone from last night would have to drop out for DR, if this is the case

PeterboroHibee
11-11-2010, 08:50 AM

If last nights team are fully fit he shouldnt just walk back in. One of the best Hibs performances in quite a while, would be mad to change it. Good option to have on the bench though.

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2010, 08:51 AM
If last nights team are fully fit he shouldnt just walk back in. One of the best Hibs performances in quite a while, would be mad to change it. Good option to have on the bench though.

:agree:

(((Fergus)))
11-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Riordan is better suited as Vice Captain - pun intended. :wink:

TrickyNicky
11-11-2010, 10:52 AM

He may and I think he's definitely the type to change it up for tactical reasons not personnel.

After watching the match on Setanta here in Oz, I felt Trakys didn't pose that much of a threat up front but seemed to hold the ball up for the likes of Liam Miller to play the type of game we always thought he could, using the width of the park, passing the ball forward, making runs to the box from the sideline allowing others to come through and attack.
Hibs were a more complete side and did not look as one dimensional as when Riordan is on his own or even when partnered with Nish.

Trakys role allowed us to have what looked like an extra man in midfield at all times - and this seemed to be my take on the success of last night.

If we bring Deek back in at the expense of Trakys, does this change the whole dynamic of last nights successful formula?

I can't see either how you could leave a player of Riordan's calibre out.
If you have both in, then who could you take out considering last nights performance.
We defended in numbers and attacked in numbers with what appears to be non out and out striker and managed 3 goals.

silverhibee
11-11-2010, 10:53 AM

Yes it was a silly challenge from Derek in the Derby game, i agree with that, but is it silly that Murray picks up so many points due to red and yellow cards that he ends up not playing at the start of the new season due to his bad disipline during the season, i have seen the red mist from IM several times during games that have ended in him getting red cards, he normally walks straight back in to the team when his ban is completed.
Derek is our top goal scorer and a threat infront of goals, thats why i would want him starting against Motherwell at the weekend, he seems to do quite well against them too.

hibs0666
11-11-2010, 10:54 AM

To drop anyone from last night for Riordan would be a travesty.

smurf
11-11-2010, 10:58 AM
It's not about dropping someone just to make way for Derek Riordan or for that matter any other player.

It's about who we are playing.

CC and now Derek Adams need to come up with a system to play Motherwell and then select the best personnel to play it.

Perhaps if we were say going to Celtc Park there would be a very strong arguement for playing the same 11 again.

But it's Motherwell at home.

Oh and Ian Murray as captain playing in front of the defence is perfect for me!!

Craig_in_Prague
11-11-2010, 11:03 AM
If Deek was available last night, who's to say if he would have played.

and on Saturday i have no doubts he'll start.
As others said, it's about picking the best team to win that particular match.

Motherwell are quite an open side; We'll start with Trakys and Deek IMO, and sacrafice someone in midfield. Would be surprised if not the case.

hibs0666
11-11-2010, 11:06 AM
It's not about dropping someone just to make way for Derek Riordan or for that matter any other player.

It's about who we are playing.

CC and now Derek Adams need to come up with a system to play Motherwell and then select the best personnel to play it.

Perhaps if we were say going to Celtc Park there would be a very strong arguement for playing the same 11 again.

But it's Motherwell at home.

Oh and Ian Murray as captain playing in front of the defence is perfect for me!!

I think it's much more about rewarding players who take their opportunity when they manage to get into the first team. That happened in spades last night in a result that was gained, first and foremost, through sheer hard graft.

The same will be needed again this weekend, and I just can't see what Riordan has done right, and last nights team done wrong, to merit Riordan walking back into the team.

heretoday
11-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Murray should be the captain. Riordan is not a captain type.

He needs to be free to unleash his creative qualities.

PeterboroHibee
11-11-2010, 11:18 AM
I think it's much more about rewarding players who take their opportunity when they manage to get into the first team. That happened in spades last night in a result that was gained, first and foremost, through sheer hard graft.

The same will be needed again this weekend, and I just can't see what Riordan has done right, and last nights team done wrong, to merit Riordan walking back into the team.

Exactly, last night sounds as if it was one of the most complete Hibs performances weve seen in a long time. We got 3 goals and a clean sheet, and as someone mentioned, we attacked and defended in numbers.

For me, all 11 of them have earned their starting spot for Saturday, and its up to them to hold onto it. Riordan should be on the bench, if it isnt working then he can come on. I dont see why you would risk changing a winning team for one player.

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Yes it was a silly challenge from Derek in the Derby game, i agree with that, but is it silly that Murray picks up so many points due to red and yellow cards that he ends up not playing at the start of the new season due to his bad disipline during the season, i have seen the red mist from IM several times during games that have ended in him getting red cards, he normally walks straight back in to the team when his ban is completed.
Derek is our top goal scorer and a threat infront of goals, thats why i would want him starting against Motherwell at the weekend, he seems to do quite well against them too.

I was not talking about IM though. Deek is top scorer with 3, hardly challenging for the golden boot is it, and he was not missed 1 bit last night. Maybe a wee spell on the bench will do him a power of good, and maybe teach him to be less reckless?

JimBHibees
11-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Personally wouldnt change anything for Saturday. I appreciate it is a home game however the performance IMO merits the same guys at least starting another game and see how it goes. You would still have the option of bringing Deek on later in the game. IMO it is a very good thing for players not to assume they should walk straight back in when available, it creates a healthy competition and edge in a squad if everyone has a chance. I think the enormity of the win needs to be taken into account we have just turned over the Scottish champions and league leaders 3-0 on their own patch where they havent lost a league game in 35 games it would IMO be very harsh for anyone to drop out after that. If it aint broke dont fix it.

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2010, 12:11 PM
I was not talking about IM though. Deek is top scorer with 3, hardly challenging for the golden boot is it, and he was not missed 1 bit last night. Maybe a wee spell on the bench will do him a power of good, and maybe teach him to be less reckless?

Riordan hardly has a reputation of being reckless though, does he?
When Murray was sent off against Celtic for the same type of reckless tackle at parkhead a couple of seasons ago, did it stop him being so reckless, and do him the power of good?

Seveno
11-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Murray is the one who is doing his coaching badges and, playing in midfield, can make a really influence on the team.

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2010, 12:18 PM
When Murray was sent off against Celtic for the same type of reckless tackle at parkhead a couple of seasons ago, did it stop him being so reckless, and do him the power of good?

I meant a stay on the bench, to improve his hunger..... He has hardly set the heather alight (along with his teammates), but it might just make him think about the consequences of his tackle on Sunday, if he were dropped and we were to start winning again?

silverhibee
11-11-2010, 12:32 PM

Why.? he got a red card at the weekend, it happens in football, i would understand if he was picking up yellow and red cards on a regular basis and the manager had to do something about it, but thats not the case here, two red cards in his career, its hardly wreckless.
And, he may not have been missed there last night, but he was still there to give the players his support.

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Why.? he got a red card at the weekend, it happens in football, i would understand if he was picking up yellow and red cards on a regular basis and the manager had to do something about it, but thats not the case here, two red cards in his career, its hardly wreckless.
And, he may not have been missed there last night, but he was still there to give the players his support.

Do you think DR should walk back in on Saturday given the performance of all players last night?

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Do you think DR should walk back in on Saturday given the performance of all players last night?

I do, we need our best players on the pitch at all times. I don't think we should ever play 4-5-1 at home against Motherwell.

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I do, we need our best players on the pitch at all times. I don't think we should ever play 4-5-1 at home against Motherwell.

so 4-4-2 with DR and Trakys up front.....

Who would you drop? Certainly gives CC food for thought

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2010, 01:03 PM
so 4-4-2 with DR and Trakys up front.....

Who would you drop? Certainly gives CC food for thought

De Graff or Rankin, take your pick. No time to get all sentimental imho. We will have more of the ball on Saturday, its how we use it, and Derek imho should be one of the first names on the team sheet just because of what he can do with it.

silverhibee
11-11-2010, 01:18 PM

I never seen the game last night so it would be unfair for me to comment on the players performance, but i would have Deek back in the team for Motherwell.

JimBHibees
11-11-2010, 01:29 PM

Why not if it was the system that got us our best result and performance in a number of years?

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Why not if it was the system that got us our best result and performance in a number of years?

I dont want Hibs to defend and hit on the break like we do against the old firm, against the rest of the SPL. although i probably could be persuaded if we could be guaranteed a 3-0 win every time. I personally don't think that formation works as well against the other teams, and would prefer a more attacking formation. I know with the right players 4-5-1 can be an attacking formation too, but i dont believe we have the right players for that to happen.

JimBHibees
11-11-2010, 02:51 PM
I dont want Hibs to defend and hit on the break like we do against the old firm, against the rest of the SPL. although i probably could be persuaded if we could be guaranteed a 3-0 win every time. I personally don't think that formation works as well against the other teams, and would prefer a more attacking formation. I know with the right players 4-5-1 can be an attacking formation too, but i dont believe we have the right players for that to happen.

I completely hear what you are saying however given our run of form and league position maybe we can control games a bit better with using this formation. There is also the potential that with guys like Miller a bit further forward we may have more of an attacking threat than we previously had. Dont know just a little unsure whether we should be changing after our best result for years especially bearing in mind how poor we have been for so long. There is also the scope to change during the game either positionally someone as a second striker say De Graff? and also change personnel especially if you had Deek on the bench.

Motherwell are in a very good run of form at the moment and we will need to be defensively good to beat them.

--------
11-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Personally wouldnt change anything for Saturday. I appreciate it is a home game however the performance IMO merits the same guys at least starting another game and see how it goes. You would still have the option of bringing Deek on later in the game. IMO it is a very good thing for players not to assume they should walk straight back in when available, it creates a healthy competition and edge in a squad if everyone has a chance. I think the enormity of the win needs to be taken into account we have just turned over the Scottish champions and league leaders 3-0 on their own patch where they havent lost a league game in 35 games it would IMO be very harsh for anyone to drop out after that. If it aint broke dont fix it.

I'm inclined to agree with you, Jim. Very hard for anyone to be dropped after a result like that, and five in midfield would pose definite problems for Motherwell. Also, with a 5-man midfield there's no problem getting men wide to cut the ball back into the goalmouth. Like you say - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :agree:

And maybe big Trakys should be told off to mark the lad who had a hat-trick last night? :devil:

Albion Hibs
11-11-2010, 07:06 PM

Oh aye there he is mr anti-Ian Murray!

Not surprised at your comments, nor at your desire to change the team. Based on what I saw last night, I think we can continue to work that formation. Nothing wrong with having a striker on the bench to come on.

With regards to 4-5-1 plenty of teams play that formation in a non-counter attacking way, it simply works into a 4-3-3.

For the avoidance of doubt I am not saying I dont want Riordan in the team, but he can come in if someone is not having a good game / we need something else.

Iggy Pope
11-11-2010, 07:35 PM

You say walk back in as if it was somehow his choice and we were at his calling.
I think this does him a disservice.
I'm sure Deek understands who picks the team.

Iggy Pope
11-11-2010, 07:38 PM

I hear what you are saying my Maribor friend, but I was there last night and Hibs were extremely entertaining as well as disciplined. Don't let a sequence of numbers make your mind up about how that formation works.
You don't bang 30-odd passes about in one move when hitting on the break.

King Paddy
11-11-2010, 08:54 PM
great to se Murruy back not just as captain which is excellant, but CC playing him in centre mid. Gives us some dig in their.

herdy
12-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Ian Murray is the only player with the credentials to be club captain. The only problem is no-one knows how his fitness will effect his appearances. At times like these Murray is the choice. Whether or not he will be the captain for good remains to be seen. I hope and pray that he stays fit and can fill that captain role.

:thumbsup:

Dunbar Hibee
12-11-2010, 02:06 PM
I'd keep the same starting 11. If it's not working out, then bring Deek on.