PDA

View Full Version : John Rankin in The Sun (and other papers)

KiddA
10-11-2010, 06:10 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3219748/It-is-time-to-close-ranks.html

Can someone tell me why Hibs would get John Rankin to promote half season tickets :dunno:

Rankin can talk a good game, all this stuff about stepping up and he quoted We all need to step forward and say 'No one else is going to do it, it needs to be ME', and deal with it from there :yawn: well no s##t sherlock its been like this for months now :grr: and you are one of the main culprits

This guy has had too many chances and should never wear a Hibs jersey again :bitchy: along with many others.

His derby performance was one of the worst I have seen in a long time hence why he got taken off at half time.

IWasThere2016
10-11-2010, 06:39 AM
Diddy should be on page 3 with Nishy :greengrin

truehibernian
10-11-2010, 06:45 AM
True TQM......if that happened a bigger pair of t**s that paper wouldn't have seen since Sam Fox.

Newhaven
10-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Rent a quote is also in the Metro spouting nonsense..

What happened to doing your talking on the park :faf:

Saorsa
10-11-2010, 07:38 AM

What happened to doing your talking on the park :faf:Deary me :bitchy:

When he does his talkin' on the park, it's mair *****e than is in that article. I'd prefer he was never on the park ever again tae be able tae do anything. He's one of the worst players we have and one of many who simply isnae good enough.

greenlex
10-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Rankin will be one if the players CC keeps get used to it.

Ritchie
10-11-2010, 07:43 AM

I've just read that. I found myself getting angry as I read it. Does he not understand he is one of the weakest links. He's horrible. SFL material (a bit like Hibs at the moment)

marinello59
10-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Player gets asked to speak to press and says the things that CC wants us to hear. Hardly a shock or an excuse for further venting of the spleen is it?
Should Ranks should have refused to carry out his contractual duties? Or just said, ' The team is crap, I am totally pish and we are all doomed. '

Saorsa
10-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Rankin will be one if the players CC keeps get used to it.Dinnae see him being long in the job if he cannae improve on the likes of Rankin, poor (and that's being kind) quality players like him are one of the reasons we cannae win.

Saorsa
10-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Player gets asked to speak to press and says the things that CC wants us to hear. Hardly a shock or an excuse for further venting of the spleen is it?
Should Ranks should have refused to carry out his contractual duties? Or just said, ' The team is crap, I am totally pish and we are all doomed. 'Would just be the truth, we can all see it anyway so it's hardly fooling anybody.

marinello59
10-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Would just be the truth, we can all see it anyway so it's hardly fooling anybody.

Possibly.:greengrin But that's not how the media game works. We shouldn't be shocked or wound up when we get the same old stuff rolled out again. Maybe old age has just mellowed me.

Hibbyradge
10-11-2010, 08:40 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3219748/It-is-time-to-close-ranks.html

Can someone tell me why Hibs would get John Rankin to promote half season tickets :dunno:

Rankin can talk a good game, all this stuff about stepping up and he quoted We all need to step forward and say 'No one else is going to do it, it needs to be ME', and deal with it from there :yawn: well no s##t sherlock its been like this for months now :grr: and you are one of the main culprits

This guy has had too many chances and should never wear a Hibs jersey again :bitchy: along with many others.

His derby performance was one of the worst I have seen in a long time hence why he got taken off at half time.

Unbelievable. :bitchy:

BEEJ
10-11-2010, 09:26 AM

Murray would have been a better choice as his injuries have distanced himself from the team's recent dismal performances.

The club is not doing Rankin any favours.

Cropley10
10-11-2010, 10:18 AM

You're just saying that to be mean. :greengrin A fiver to Dnipro says he doesn't?

shagpile
10-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Player gets asked to speak to press and says the things that CC wants us to hear. Hardly a shock or an excuse for further venting of the spleen is it? Should Ranks should have refused to carry out his contractual duties? Or just said, ' The team is crap, I am totally pish and we are all doomed. '

Quite so. Of course it may have been better had the captain spoken to the press & explained the situation & the possible remedies.:blah:

Maybe not.

Ritchie
10-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Murray would have been a better choice as his injuries have distanced himself from the team's recent dismal performances.

The club is not doing Rankin any favours.

i would have gave Zemmama the job of promoting the half season tickets... would have gave him a chance to report on his injury and his impending return... he's the only player that would excite the fans and is a tiny tiny tiny ray of hope..... that is aslong as he stays fit!! :pray:

mixuok
10-11-2010, 10:46 AM
well. were in deep doo doo then and that article by lois stevenson last week? he should be binned as well:agree:

Disc O'Dave
10-11-2010, 10:53 AM
i would have gave Zemmama the job of promoting the half season tickets... would have gave him a chance to report on his injury and his impending return... he's the only player that would excite the fans and is a tiny tiny tiny ray of hope..... that is aslong as he stays fit!! :pray:

Then cue all the angst ridden posts about Hibs being cynical, glossing over the issues, and trying to pull the wool over our eyes that there is a problem, and allowing the current players to "hide" - whilst shamelessly exploiting Zemmama.

:wink:

essexhibee
10-11-2010, 10:53 AM
John Rankin?

Pathetic excuse of a player and its quite laughable that he is the one doing the talking.

I agree with the above post of getting Zouma to do it, at least he has the ability to back up the talk. Classy act he is my favourite player IMO.

Ritchie
10-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Then cue all the angst ridden posts about Hibs being cynical, glossing over the issues, and trying to pull the wool over our eyes that there is a problem, and allowing the current players to "hide" - whilst shamelessly exploiting Zemmama.

:wink:

us hibs fans are horrible eh!! :greengrin

smurf
10-11-2010, 12:05 PM
The club should be using the Manager to push season tickets sales at the moment.

IIRC it was Rankin who pushed the excellent 10 monthly payments Season Ticket scheme.

Argylehibby
10-11-2010, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=smurf;2632360]The club should be using the Manager to push season tickets sales at the moment.
QUOTE]

Maybe he's too busy trying to sort out the problems on the field and looking for suitable replacements come January. :dunno: BTW I wouldnt be that surprised if Rankin is Captain tonight.

smurf
10-11-2010, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=smurf;2632360]The club should be using the Manager to push season tickets sales at the moment.
QUOTE]

Maybe he's too busy trying to sort out the problems on the field and looking for suitable replacements come January. :dunno: BTW I wouldnt be that surprised if Rankin is Captain tonight.

Make a Captain out of a player hooked on Sunday at HT for being Rafael Scheicht in an Edinburgh Derby?

Hope not.

Argylehibby
10-11-2010, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=Argylehibby;2632367]

Make a Captain out of a player hooked on Sunday at HT for being Rafael Scheicht in an Edinburgh Derby?

Hope not.

I hope not too, but I could see it happening.

hibbie02
10-11-2010, 12:53 PM
I fear the worst tonight. Everytime Rankin speaks to the press we get a good hiding in the next match. It is not as if he has anything to contribute either in the papers or on the pitch. :grr:

Disc O'Dave
10-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Presumably if John Rankin were to save some children from a burning Orphanage tonight, the first thread about it would be entitled:

"Rankin touches hot kids"

® Russel Howard

khib70
10-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Presumably if John Rankin were to save some children from a burning Orphanage tonight, the first thread about it would be entitled:

"Rankin touches hot kids"

® Russel Howard
:greengrin Spot on

I think Rankin is a hopeless player and nowhere near the standard we need. I do not however, think he's the Antichrist. Imagine if it was Rankin who idiotically got himself sent off on Sunday, instead of He Who Can Do No Wrong.

Two threads about him this morning, and neither of them related to his football ability. :rolleyes:

Burn the witch!!!

hibbie02
10-11-2010, 01:38 PM
:cool2:I have just noticed over the years, that everytime he opens his mouth in the papers, we get beat, even when we are playing well. My comments about him being crap were an afterthought. My man point was about the coincidence......

vahibbie
10-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Possibly.:greengrin But that's not how the media game works. We shouldn't be shocked or wound up when we get the same old stuff rolled out again. Maybe old age has just mellowed me.

No me.
The f'kn lot of them need to keep their trap shut. What's wrong with a polite no comment.
There's 3 articles on EEN online, judging by the headlines they are all the same vein.
Exactly who are they trying to kid.....no us that's for sure. Unless they think we are really that stupid.
They are daein my heid in:grr::grr:

marinello59
10-11-2010, 01:51 PM
No me.
The f'kn lot of them need to keep their trap shut. What's wrong with a polite no comment.
There's 3 articles on EEN online, judging by the headlines they are all the same vein.
Exactly who are they trying to kid.....no us that's for sure. Unless they think we are really that stupid.
They are daein my heid in:grr::grr:

I understand the sentiment but it wasn't an option. He is promoting the half season tickets as he will be contractually obliged to do. The papers aren't going to publish anything without an interview so Rankin had to give one. It's no big deal.

What happens out on the park on the other hand....................

shagpile
10-11-2010, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=Argylehibby;2632367]

Hope not.

No worse than the captain being sent of for his crass stupidity & childishness.
Crass stupidity because Riordan can't[won't] tackle at normal times,& childishness because he let the opposition fans/players get to him. Captain ? You're having a laugh.
I don't think Rankin is a particularly good player but, if the good players we have showed the same fight then we might not be in such a mess.

Speedway
10-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Joan Rankin, Lois Stevenson, Christine Hogg, Iona Murray etc etc etc

They all tell us it's time to be more ruthless, step up to the plate, dig deeper, defend better, work harder, cut out the silly mistakes, cut out the perfectly sensible mistakes, quit smoking, give peace a chance, drink coke, stand up and be counted, win one for the gipper, thread the needle, think outside the box, take one for the team, develop a mental toughness, develop a mental disease, not panic, panic, panic a little bit, take each game as it comes, go again next time, struggle to put the finger on it, struggle to pass five yards, struggle to pass water, have the eye of the tiger, adopt a seige mentality, adopt a romanian orphan, put on the boiler suit, impose themselves, depose themselves, buy into the manager's philosophy, make your own luck, run out of luck, need more luck, luck be a lady, go back to basics, go back to bed, play the easy pass, play the xbox, get pumped up, pump each other, feel the pain, cash the cheque, kick the bucket, buy the farm, suck it up, sucker punch, suck it and see, Lucy Meacock, every game is a cup final, every game is a paycheck, next one is a six pointer, no easy games, no easy women, see the end from the beginning, take it on the chin, take it up the park,do their talking on the pitch, earn a new contract, be in the manager's plans, work as a unit blah blah ******** BLAH!!

It's all of no consequence because they're poor players. They can't achieve any of this. They've had circa 30 matches to do something about the slump and they haven't. Why? 'cause they can't, they're crap!

Baldy Foghorn
10-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Its a catch 22 really..... We would moan if there was no soundbytes coming from players at ER, and when they do and say the things we expect them to say, we moan as that is not happening on the field......

The players are not going to come out and say "we are an overpaid bunch of gutless imposters"....

truehibernian
10-11-2010, 03:11 PM
I don't take much notice of anything John Rankin says anymore.

He is afterall the son of Bingo from The Banana Splits......plays football like his old man too :greengrin

http://www.toxic-web.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/blog/billie-piper-playboy-bingo-banana-splits.jpg

Saorsa
10-11-2010, 04:20 PM

Can someone tell me why Hibs would get John Rankin to promote half season tickets :dunno:Seems a strange one, one of the worst players currently at Easter Road, why would anybody that already hasnae paid up want tae waste good money tae watch him. :bitchy: Maybe Petrie should have a word with the marketing department? The person who thought it would be a good idea tae put him forward for the job should perhaps be in another line of employment.

"Give us £200+ of you hard earned cash and come along tae Easter Road every fortnight tae watch John Rankin impersonate (badly) an SPL fitba player"

Genius :agree:

GreenPJ
10-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Seems a strange one, one of the worst players currently at Easter Road, why would anybody that already hasnae paid up want tae waste good money tae watch him. :bitchy: Maybe Petrie should have a word with the marketing department? The person who thought it would be a good idea tae put him forward for the job should perhaps be in another line of employment.

"Give us £200+ of you hard earned cash and come along tae Easter Road every fortnight tae watch John Rankin impersonate (badly) an SPL fitba player"

But according to a lot on this board everyone is murder at the club so who would you have trying to promote the sale of season tickets.

Fans are moaning about players not trying but if they read and hear some of the comments aimed at them from their supposed own fans its little wonder some of the performances are not what we are looking for. :bitchy:

TheMentalHibees
10-11-2010, 05:48 PM
This may or may not have already been mentioned, and may be totally irrelevant, but I can't for the life of me remember a set piece that Rankin has taken that hasn't either: a) not cleared the first man, or b) missed everybody and gone harmlessly out of play. It just gets right on my tits.

CabbageBoy
10-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Since there will be darkness and floodlights only at Castle Greyskull this evening, if Rankin is in the sun, he can't be on the pitch. Which would suit me just fine.

If only Murray, Hanlon and Witherspoon from the squad on Sunday ever pulled on a Hibs jersey again, that would suit me even better.

...WentToMowAnSPL
10-11-2010, 07:02 PM
(From article (http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/rankin-form-rap-for-hibs-1.1067336?))
Hibernian star John Rankin admits the enormity of their plight is hitting home as they seek their first point under Colin Calderwood at Ibrox tonight.

“Eight points from 11 games is nowhere near good enough,” the midfielder said, “We have got to step up to the plate and take the bull by the horns.”

First point. Mr Rankin is that this is not a rap. Even Vanilla Ice in his heydey wouldn't have claimed this.

Second point. If you were trying to claim a prize for the most number of cliches squeezed into one article, you must be pleased as punch and over the moon tonight.

Big_D
10-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Not the greatest player but always gives 100% , wish some other "Star" players would do likewise .

EasterRoad4Ever
10-11-2010, 07:29 PM
(From article (http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/rankin-form-rap-for-hibs-1.1067336?))
Hibernian star John Rankin admits the enormity of their plight is hitting home as they seek their first point under Colin Calderwood at Ibrox tonight.

“Eight points from 11 games is nowhere near good enough,” the midfielder said, “We have got to step up to the plate and take the bull by the horns.”

First point. Mr Rankin is that this is not a rap. Even Vanilla Ice in his heydey wouldn't have claimed this.

Second point. If you were trying to claim a prize for the most number of cliches squeezed into one article, you must be pleased as punch and over the moon tonight.

Yip, and the time for stepping up to the plate was 9 months ago when they effectively gave up trying to EARN their wages.

Also, using Rankin as front man to sell season tickets is a bit like putting a pug ugly bird on the front cover of a lads mag which is full of pug ugly birds. You get the basic idea but you'd never buy it.

BEEJ
10-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Its a catch 22 really..... We would moan if there was no soundbytes coming from players at ER, and when they do and say the things we expect them to say, we moan as that is not happening on the field......

Personally, I believe there are times when a squad of players needs to be restrained from talking to the press until such time as they have started to deliver again on the pitch.

Right now is one of those times.

LaMotta
10-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Go on Rankin son! I've always rated you!

truehibernian
10-11-2010, 08:06 PM

He is afterall the son of Bingo from The Banana Splits......plays football like his old man too :greengrin

http://www.toxic-web.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/blog/billie-piper-playboy-bingo-banana-splits.jpg

Did I not say Bingo's dad played for River Plate though :greengrin

IWasThere2016
10-11-2010, 08:47 PM

True TQM......if that happened a bigger pair of t**s that paper wouldn't have seen since Sam Fox.

Deary me :bitchy:

When he does his talkin' on the park, it's mair *****e than is in that article. I'd prefer he was never on the park ever again tae be able tae do anything. He's one of the worst players we have and one of many who simply isnae good enough.

Brilliant job of inspiring Rankin to a game/goal tonight, men! Well done all! :thumbsup:

:cool2: :wink: :greengrin

lyonhibs
10-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm just warming the oven, would you all like your Humble Pie with or without cream??

:devil:

bighairyfaeleith
10-11-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm just warming the oven, would you all like your Humble Pie with or without cream??

I'll have mine cold cheers:greengrin

Hibbyradge
10-11-2010, 09:32 PM

Deary me :bitchy:

I've just read that. I found myself getting angry as I read it. Does he not understand he is one of the weakest links. He's horrible. SFL material (a bit like Hibs at the moment)

John Rankin?

Pathetic excuse of a player and its quite laughable that he is the one doing the talking.

I agree with the above post of getting Zouma to do it, at least he has the ability to back up the talk. Classy act he is my favourite player IMO.

I fear the worst tonight. Everytime Rankin speaks to the press we get a good hiding in the next match. It is not as if he has anything to contribute either in the papers or on the pitch. :grr:

Seems a strange one, one of the worst players currently at Easter Road, why would anybody that already hasnae paid up want tae waste good money tae watch him. :bitchy: Maybe Petrie should have a word with the marketing department? The person who thought it would be a good idea tae put him forward for the job should perhaps be in another line of employment.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2418/2441881332_7232d6a7fb.jpg

Hibbyradge
10-11-2010, 09:33 PM
John Rankin?

Pathetic excuse, eh.

What a horrible thing to say about someone, particularly a Hibs player.

Imagine if someone said that about you.

Saorsa
10-11-2010, 09:34 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2418/2441881332_7232d6a7fb.jpgWhy? You think a goal and a half decent performance make up for the myriad of crap do you? I'm glad he scored because I dinnae care who scores as long as Hibs win but it disnae change a thing. It'll maybe change when we've seen as many good performances as we've seen honkin'.

So stick yer humility where the sun disnae shine :bye:

Hibbyradge
10-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Why? You think a goal and a half decent performance make up for the myriad of crap do you? I'm glad he scored because I dinnae care who scores as long as Hibs win but it disnae change a thing. It'll maybe change when we've seen as many good performances as we've seen honkin'.

:faf:

Very big of you.

cabbageandribs1875
10-11-2010, 09:46 PM
oops !!!!! lol

greenlex
10-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Brilliant price of marketing by hibs. Well done. Roll up roll up get your half season card here. Roll up roll up.

KiddA
11-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Brilliant job of inspiring Rankin to a game/goal tonight, men! Well done all! :thumbsup:

:cool2: :wink: :greengrin

Well one good game in how many?

You are right though I may have to do that more often :wink:

--------
11-11-2010, 12:10 AM
John Rankin?

Pathetic excuse, eh.

Well said, Mr. Radge.

"Pathetic excuse" is a description not inapplicable to a certain breed of Hibs supporter, methinks - the kind that's never happy and wno't stop bad-mouthing the players individually or as a team regardless of their results, perhaps?

--------
11-11-2010, 12:11 AM
John Rankin?

Pathetic excuse, eh.

Well said, Mr. Radge.

"Pathetic excuse" is a description not inapplicable to a certain breed of Hibs supporter, methinks - the kind that's never happy and won't stop bad-mouthing the players individually or as a team regardless of their results, perhaps?

BroxburnHibee
11-11-2010, 12:22 AM
So good you said it twice...........eh Doddie :tee hee:

hibbie02
11-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Happy to see Hibs win and end the sequence of defeats after Rankin speaks. Which was the main point of my post (I'll no be posting that one again). As for Rankin's on pitch ability, one swallow doesnae make a Spring, but it does help in other activities.......:greengrin

Newhaven
11-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Why? You think a goal and a half decent performance make up for the myriad of crap do you? I'm glad he scored because I dinnae care who scores as long as Hibs win but it disnae change a thing. It'll maybe change when we've seen as many good performances as we've seen honkin'.

+1 :top marks

Very big of you.

How typical on a great day for hibs that Mr 'stirrer' Radge is on a thread acting the big man. Some things never change :yawn:

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2010, 08:59 AM
The stick Rankin gets is unbelievable..... Last night both him and Miller, proved a lot of doubters wrong, they are decent players, but need more consistency....

Both were fantastic last night

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Rankin along with most of the others have deserved every little bit of stick they have received. The lot of them have contributed to some of the biggest load of crap i have seen in my lifetime of watching Hibs.

However, last nights result while never in a million years does it make up for all the dross we have watched. It still is very enjoyable.:top marks:thumbsup: It will only stay enjoyable if its built on with other good performances AND results on Saturday and the games after. A hell of a lot of these players imho should be out the door in the summer, 1 result in Glasgow wont change my mind on that. Its up to those same players to get the results that take us out the mess we are in, and if they can, then some might earn another another contract, and change the opinion of me and i'd imagine a few others too.

Hibbyradge
11-11-2010, 11:37 AM
+1 :top marks

How typical on a great day for hibs that Mr 'stirrer' Radge is on a thread acting the big man. Some things never change :yawn:

I hardly think promoting a Hibs player is acting the big man.

The criticism levelled against John Rankin, Colin Nish etc is way over the top and I make no apology for arguing their corner when the opportunities arise.

You do seem to have a problem with my views on things and the way I put my views across. I suggest you put me on ignore.

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I hardly think promoting a Hibs player is acting the big man.

The criticism levelled against John Rankin, Colin Nish etc is way over the top and I make no apology for arguing their corner when the opportunities arise.

I agree wholeheartedly Dave........

I am the same as you, will back these guys to the hilt

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2010, 11:44 AM
I agree wholeheartedly Dave........

I am the same as you, will back these guys to the hilt

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?196875-Player-Days-off&p=2629977&highlight=#post2629977

What a difference 1 game makes. :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2010, 12:40 PM
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?196875-Player-Days-off&p=2629977&highlight=#post2629977

What a difference 1 game makes. :wink:

I have always backed Nish and Rankin against the OTT criticism and vitriol aimed at them......

The_Exile
11-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Don't understand some folk, sure, some players have bad games and they deserve the old "get your finger out" from time to time, but some of the abuse, it's like a scene from Apocalypse Now or summin, mental. We're all Hibbys, from the chairman, through the players, and down to the fans, we're all fighting for the same cause, reading threads on here makes me wonder sometimes though........

When the ball hits the net like a low flying jet.....it's a squiggler.......

Bad Martini
11-11-2010, 12:54 PM
GIRU the huns. Fair play to Rankin.

He and Nish get too many UNJUSTIFIED and PERSONAL (for which there is NAE excuse) pelters. I said it before, say it again...on oor team, nae need for the personal pelters or some of the "performance" related stuff which is frankly expectations that are TOO high.

But, some of the stuff is accurate. There are times when both these guys arent up to the job and rightly, they are highlighted and discussed. Blind faith is fine, but honesty is the order of the day.

Sometimes, a balance is needed!........that is where IMHO, this site falls down so many times. There's rarely a balance where both parties are right.

Note: I reserve the right to maintain, publish and keep on with my God given right to be healthily unbalanced towards the vile, disgusting, minging, manky, horrible, biggoted, slimy, work shy, ugly, stupid, verile, rabbid huns.

ENDOF :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2010, 12:58 PM
I have always backed Nish and Rankin against the OTT criticism and vitriol aimed at them......

The criticism levelled against John Rankin, Colin Nish etc is way over the top.
What about Bamba and Miller?

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2010, 01:02 PM
The criticism levelled against John Rankin, Colin Nish etc is way over the top.
What about Bamba and Miller?

Miller and Bamba have received nothing like the criticism Rankin and Nish have had.........

If all continue to perform like they did last night, it will be difficult for anyone to slate them

Bad Martini
11-11-2010, 01:06 PM
If all continue to perform like they did last night, it will be difficult for anyone to slate them

Correct. Nail on heid.

IF they continue to do that, anyone who does slate them does so, because they are, a big fanny and NOT because of their ability or inability. Bottom line; do the business on the park and you SHOULD get the respect you deserve. Don't do it, you'll get the pelters you deserve (and often times, some you don't deserve).

MON THE HIBEES :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Miller and Bamba have received nothing like the criticism Rankin and Nish have had.........

That is a matter of opinion. Although if we go along with your theory they have not had the same amount of criticism, could it be because they have not been as bad?

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2010, 01:13 PM
That is a matter of opinion. Although if we go along with your theory they have not had the same amount of criticism, could it be because they have not been as bad?

Miller for me has been poor for the majority of season, however he looked like a different player last night, maybe as Murray was back in, allowing Miller to be more creative

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Miller for me has been poor for the majority of season, however he looked like a different player last night, maybe as Murray was back in, allowing Miller to be more creative

Opinions eh? :wink: I agree Murray playing might have helped him. I think we need more of his type in the middle of the park. I'm still not convinced Murray is the answer. Can he stay fit enough for a central midfield place? We can only hope so. And against teams we will have to attack, take the game to, i dont think the rest of them have enough football ability to open teams up.

Great result last night, greatly needed. If they can carry this on and climb the table all well and good. Although i dont think for one minute this lot of players are remotely good enough to take us into a european spot. And thats failure for me. I will gladly eat humble pie if proved wrong, but CC needs to have a huge clear out imho, these players last night proved they could do it last night, consistency is what we need from them to get out the mess we are in. If they have any hope of getting a new contract, or even want one, we are both winners. :pray:

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Opinions eh? :wink: I agree Murray playing might have helped him. I think we need more of his type in the middle of the park. I'm still not convinced Murray is the answer. Can he stay fit enough for a central midfield place? We can only hope so. And against teams we will have to attack, take the game to, i dont think the rest of them have enough football ability to open teams up.

Great result last night, greatly needed. If they can carry this on and climb the table all well and good. Although i dont think for one minute this lot of players are remotely good enough to take us into a european spot. And thats failure for me. I will gladly eat humble pie if proved wrong, but CC needs to have a huge clear out imho, these players last night proved they could do it last night, consistency is what we need from them to get out the mess we are in. If they have any hope of getting a new contract, or even want one, we are both winners. :pray:

His injury concerns are indeed a worry but I suppose time will tell. I hope last night is the catalyst to move forward, and hopefully a few home truths have been said, and we can now start picking up some points.... Fingers and toes crossed

HibeeEmma
11-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Rankin is one of the hardest workers at ER imo. His height lets him down and when faced with high long balls and he can get caught out easier against more physical sides. However well done to him last night for his continued hard work and deserved goal.

--------
11-11-2010, 01:45 PM
So good you said it twice...........eh Doddie :tee hee:

My fingers get tangled up by that time of night, BH. Besides, I was recovering from a major shock to the system.... :wink:

I know we've had lots of more technically gifted players than John, but if as we all seem to be agreed one of CC's major challenges is to develop a more conscientious and dedicated attitude to training and a better work-ethic among the squad, John is EXACTLY the sort of player he should keep hold of, at least for the rest of this season and next.

We aren't in a place where we can be too picky right now. So getting on the back of one of the hardest-working and most honest members of the squad doesn't seem to me to be a helpful way of contributing to a positive atmosphere at the club.

From what I know of John, we could do MUCH worse than set him up as an example to the younger players of how THEY should approach their careers as footballers.

He really doesn't deserve the abuse some punters hand out to him. :agree:

Speedway
11-11-2010, 02:10 PM
There's little better than giving stick to the lads and have them go and shove it right up me. That's fine by me.

My caveat before I tuck into the humble pie however, is to see whether they can do that for 5 games straight.

One pumping of the hun doth not a season make.

--------
11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
There's little better than giving stick to the lads and have them go and shove it right up me. That's fine by me.

My caveat before I tuck into the humble pie however, is to see whether they can do that for 5 games straight.

One pumping of the hun doth not a season make.

Absolutely. IIRC we went to Ibrox under Collins and won, and a few weeks later it all fell apart. This is a result we need to build on. :agree:

Saorsa
14-11-2010, 12:56 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2418/2441881332_7232d6a7fb.jpg

Pathetic excuse, eh.

Very big of you.Where was Rankin playing today, have tae say I never really noticed. Was he there? never mind though. one good game in thirty and he's a world beater :bye:

Like i say come back when he's had as many good games as bad, until then like I said, take your humility and shove it up your pipe. :bye:

and dinnae ask me tae stick you on the ignore list, I would have long since as i think you're a boring *****, unfortunatelyI cannae as you're an admin.

500miles
14-11-2010, 04:30 AM
Where was Rankin playing today, have tae say I never really noticed. Was he there? never mind though. one good game in thirty and he's a world beater :bye:

Like i say come back when he's had as many good games as bad, until then like I said, take your humility and shove it up your pipe. :bye:

and dinnae ask me tae stick you on the ignore list, I would have long since as i think you're a boring *****, unfortunatelyI cannae as you're an admin.

Where was he today? You mean apart from when he was claiming the assist for the first goal? Or blocking shots? Or picking up the ball in advanced areas?

Aye, he was getting a bit of stick for not being more aggressive in the second half and pressing harder for possession - but he stood his ground, and didn't allow himself to be beat, giving us a much more rigid shape, and making us difficult to break down.

It was another productive performance from him today.

greenlex
14-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Are you saying Rankin had a poor game yesterday? I think that is wrong.
Where was Rankin playing today, have tae say I never really noticed. Was he there? never mind though. one good game in thirty and he's a world beater :bye:

Expecting Rain
14-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Rankin along with Hogg and Nish will be found out by the current manager, it is a matter of time, if they haven`t been found out already, if he had a good game yesterday i must have dreamt i was at the match , good goal against Rangers though a bit like Orman`s strike against the same team.:wink:
The opening post says it all with possibly the exception of Murray who i still think has a bit of mileage and experience to help the team.

marinello59
14-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Rankin along with Hogg and Nish will be found out by the current manager, it is a matter of time, if they haven`t been found out already, if he had a good game yesterday i must have dreamt i was at the match , good goal against Rangers though a bit like Orman`s strike against the same team.:wink:
The opening post says it all with possibly the exception of Murray who i still think has a bit of mileage and experience to help the team.

I thought Rankin had a decent game yesterday as well. Not outstanding but a solid enough display. Opinions eh?

--------
14-11-2010, 09:43 AM
I thought Rankin had a decent game yesterday as well. Not outstanding but a solid enough display. Opinions eh?

:agree:

It appears that John is now the moaners' favourite scapegoat....

As Alen Orman was before him....

As so many have been, some rightly, others quite wrongly.

As for being "found out" by CC - it seems CC's ready and willing to give the guy a place - and a clearly defined role - in the team....

Maybe one day ALL the Hibs support will give ALL the Hibs players their unqualified support for 90 minutes of a game where the team's playing well and winning.... :rolleyes:

Barney McGrew
14-11-2010, 10:00 AM
As for being "found out" by CC - it seems CC's ready and willing to give the guy a place - and a clearly defined role - in the team...

Don't be daft Doddie - Rankin will be found out, it's just that guys like Calderwood (as well as the likes of Yogi and MIxu before him) who has spent his entire careers in professional football and works with the players day to day, knows far less about how to pick a player than a postie or bank clerk that sees him for 90 minutes every other Saturday.

:cool2:

blackpoolhibs
14-11-2010, 10:01 AM
I thought Rankin had a decent first half, nothing spectacular. And in the 2nd he showed just why he needs replaced. He disappeared in the 2nd period doing his usual, getting caught on the ball, passing to the opposition, and basically giving us nothing apart from effort.

Wednesdays performance and goal was always a surprise, and never going to happen from a very average player, who has no place in a team who want to challenge at the top of the table.

down-the-slope
14-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Rankin had a very good first half and was involved in a lot of the good play down the left as w ell as covering Grounds and getting stuck in..no goal for Riorden without his assist..

Second half he was, due to Eddies injury, moved to play right side (personally i would have had Spoony on so there was only one change...but what would I know:wink:) and that meant him being in a less familiar role...he still put in a shift but was (along with the rest of the team) less inventive than first half, but contributed to a side of the game Hibs have for years been poor at...Defending as a Team from front to back...

Expecting Rain
14-11-2010, 10:25 AM

It appears that John is now the moaners' favourite scapegoat....

As Alen Orman was before him....

As so many have been, some rightly, others quite wrongly.

As for being "found out" by CC - it seems CC's ready and willing to give the guy a place - and a clearly defined role - in the team....

Maybe one day ALL the Hibs support will give ALL the Hibs players their unqualified support for 90 minutes of a game where the team's playing well and winning.... :rolleyes:

:yawn::yawn::yawn:

Hibby D
14-11-2010, 10:33 AM

Don't be silly Doddie! There's mare chance o' DFS not having a sale on than that :hilarious

blackpoolhibs
14-11-2010, 10:39 AM

I dont know if you were at the game yesterday Doddie, but the crowd were terrific, i personally did not hear any player being barracked, all i heard and saw was support for each and every player.

In fact i thought the crowd played their part in dragging the players over the finishing line with their support towards the end. We seem to have gotten away recently from slagging the players off during the game, and have started to support them throughout. This is the place to discuss who needs replaced, and who needs to stay, long may it continue.:top marks

Hibby D
14-11-2010, 10:56 AM
I dont know if you were at the game yesterday Doddie, but the crowd were terrific, i personally did not hear any player being barracked, all i heard and saw was support for each and every player.

In fact i thought the crowd played their part in dragging the players over the finishing line with their support towards the end. We seem to have gotten away recently from slagging the players off during the game, and have started to support them throughout. This is the place to discuss who needs replaced, and who needs to stay, long may it continue.:top marks

I totally agree but it doesn't need to be carried out with such vitriol.

Posts in this thread calling JR a "tit", a "diddy", "rent-a-quote" are, IMO, OTT and far too personal!

Save that talk for opposition players, referees and their assistants :bitchy:

Hibbyradge
14-11-2010, 11:26 AM

Wow. I do seem to have hit a nerve.

If I had known that a fun poster about humility, which after all, is a laudable and attractive human trait, would cause you so much distress, I wouldn't have posted it up.

However, this thread was full of folk jumping on the bandwagon and taking the opportunity to rip John Rankin to pieces because he actually dared to promote Hibs season tickets. :wtf:

For that audacity, he was labelled as a “pathetic excuse”, *****e, should never wear a Hibs jersey again, one of our worst players and that he plays football like Bingo etc etc.

That’s so unfair and unnecessary. Even when he does something positive, like encourage folk to support Hibs, he gets attacked.

On Wednesday, he scored a fantastic goal with his right foot from 20 yards and played a huge part in a famous and much needed victory at Ibrox. Poking a bit of fun at his detractors with a caption I found on the internet and silently suggesting in the wake of such a performance that they might want to show a wee bit of humility, doesn’t seem like crime of the century to me.

Compared to some of the stuff written on this site, I decided that a humorous photo of a wee boy with his head almost buried in the sand, was a pretty tame way of doing it.

You told me to stick it up my erse. Fair enough, I wasn't 100% sure you were serious, but I responded in kind and moved on. Now, 4 days later, you've fired off another barrage of insults.

If folk are prepared to dish out vitriolic personal attacks on players, they shouldn’t be surprised when those who disagree with them, take them to task. Even if it’s done gently.

What is the opposite of humble, anyway?

Thankfully for many, being fascinatingly interesting isn't a pre-requisite for posting on hibs.net.

However, being civil to other posters, is.

Saorsa
14-11-2010, 11:36 AM
However, being civil to other posters, is.Yes, you're right, so I'll apologise for that bit. We'll just agree tae disagree on the merits of Rankin and leave it there.

Hibbyradge
14-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Yes, you're right, so I'll apologise for that bit. We'll just agree tae disagree on the merits of Rankin and leave it there.

Thank you.