PDA

View Full Version : Hughes on Radio Scotland (merged)

WhileTheChief..
09-11-2010, 06:43 PM
and a full 45 min interview at 7.15 tonight i think they said.

IWasThere2016
09-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the warning WTC :thumbsup:

Sammy7nil
09-11-2010, 06:46 PM
He is not bitter :cool2:

He let himself done in the press :cool2:

He had to be positive even after 6 - 6 game :wink:

Fickley Business time x 8 in opening 10 minutes

We got some good players in :cool2:

Thats fitba it a fickely business x 10 :confused:

Sammy7nil
09-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Liam Miller was his best signing :confused: Thanks **** he is gone :greengrin

Sammy7nil
09-11-2010, 06:49 PM
There times when we were awful :agree:

We played some wonderful football too :confused: I must have blinked :confused:

He made mistakes :agree:

Cropley10
09-11-2010, 07:11 PM
is it still on - if so what frequency pls?

fatbloke
09-11-2010, 07:14 PM
is it still on - if so what frequency pls?

Never mind what frequency he is on, I would be asking what f*^*ing planet:greengrin

Bishop Hibee
09-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Some very interesting comments here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9172884.stm

Why would it take so long for Yogi to change the culture of the club? Couldn't a new broom sweep clean as it were? Also why didn't he come out publicly stating his plans? Nearly every fan would have backed him.

If the players really do hold the whip hand, I'll back Calderwood to get rid of any players who won't toe the line and bring in a disciplined team culture at ER and if that means backing him even if we go down and ditching all 16 out of contract then so be it.

Kaiser1962
09-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Never mind what frequency he is on, I would be asking what f*^*ing planet:greengrin

That made me laugh for the first time since Sunday afternoon FB.

.Sean.
09-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Anyon have a link?

truehibernian
09-11-2010, 07:29 PM
I think Hughes proved that his next job really should be alongside Grant Stott this Christmas. Even then he would come out with things like "the dames gave me everything", "we're only six chapters into the story Brian, six chapters.......ask me after the encore" or "the real panto villians know what's happening at this theatre"

Worst Hibernian manager I have ever had to endure. The man makes me livid every time I hear him open his mouth...........best line on Sunday from him was at half time when he said that he thought "Colin maybe needs to change the personnel a wee bit". Hoy, Yogi......1-0 down in Perth with 15 odd mins to go........didn't see you using that wee pearl of wisdom when the team was atrocious from first minute to last. Awful manager.

Cropley10
09-11-2010, 07:30 PM

Why would it take so long for Yogi to change the culture of the club? Couldn't a new broom sweep clean as it were? Also why didn't he come out publicly stating his plans? Nearly every fan would have backed him.

If the players really do hold the whip hand, I'll back Calderwood to get rid of any players who won't toe the line and bring in a disciplined team culture at ER and if that means backing him even if we go down and ditching all 16 out of contract then so be it.

Thanks.

Says he was in the stand at Celtc on Saturday :whistle:

Hermit Crab
09-11-2010, 07:31 PM
92-95 fm 810 mw

Beefster
09-11-2010, 07:37 PM
"All he needs is a board to back him. I took a Falkirk team to Parkhead for a CIS Cup tie and got turned over 8-0. I was under the bed!
"But I still knew where I was going and the board backed me knowing it was work in progress. Two years later we went back and beat Celtic on penalties. That's because I was given the opportunity and the chance by the club."

Hughes is conveniently ignoring the fact that the last time he took Falkirk to Parkhead, they got pumped 4-0.

SurferRosa
09-11-2010, 09:38 PM
:faf::faf::faf:

Baader
09-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I think Hughes proved that his next job really should be alongside Grant Stott this Christmas. Even then he would come out with things like "the dames gave me everything", "we're only six chapters into the story Brian, six chapters.......ask me after the encore" or "the real panto villians know what's happening at this theatre"

:faf::faf: This made me laugh very loud!! :thumbsup:

ballengeich
09-11-2010, 10:18 PM
and a full 45 min interview at 7.15 tonight i think they said.

I think it was a 15 min interview at 6:45. What I heard was a 3 minute interview repeated 5 times.

4 Front Teeth
09-11-2010, 10:35 PM
He's bitter. And I'm not surprised. He had obviously agreed his strategy with Rod and agreed that in the short term it would be painful.

BoltonHibee
09-11-2010, 10:39 PM
He's bitter. And I'm not surprised. He had obviously agreed his strategy with Rod and agreed that in the short term it would be painful.

Rod is a football fool, and unfortunately in Yogi he employed one as well.

RIP
09-11-2010, 11:01 PM
No manager will ever change the culture at ER as long as Rod acts as Director of Football.

Mowbray came closest, Collins walked 'cos he knew it was a lost cause. Mixu's already doing better at Killie and Yogi had a plan but was undone by the players

How many annual coaches must we suffer before us supporters see the real problem here at Hibs

BoltonHibee
09-11-2010, 11:06 PM
No manager will ever change the culture at ER as long as Rod acts as Director of Football.

Mowbray came closest, Collins walked 'cos he knew it was a lost cause. Mixu's already doing better at Killie and Yogi had a plan but was undone by the players

How many annual coaches must we suffer before us supporters see the real problem here at Hibs

:top marks

matty_f
09-11-2010, 11:15 PM

When did Rod take over as director of football?

fatbloke
09-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Anyon have a link?

I'm sure Mr Hughes is the missing link.:greengrin

IWasThere2016
09-11-2010, 11:35 PM
He's missing a link between brain and gob mare like!

RickyS
09-11-2010, 11:42 PM
He's missing a link between brain and gob mare like!

anyone know if there is a "listen again" function? cant find one on the site but I thought there was one for Tam Cowans show.

RickyS
09-11-2010, 11:45 PM

thought this bit was strange? did Rod not indicate that it was Yogi's decision to sell Stokes? and that he had never sold a player without the managers say so?

If I knew four games after we let him go to Celtic that I'd be out of a job, I'd have fought harder to keep him," admitted Hughes,

BoltonHibee
10-11-2010, 12:01 AM
thought this bit was strange? did Rod not indicate that it was Yogi's decision to sell Stokes? and that he had never sold a player without the managers say so?

If I knew four games after we let him go to Celtic that I'd be out of a job, I'd have fought harder to keep him," admitted Hughes,

He said the exact same thing after the game on Sunday, in the TV studio. MAkes you wonder eh?

son of haggart
10-11-2010, 12:45 AM
He said the exact same thing after the game on Sunday, in the TV studio. MAkes you wonder eh?

RP gets offer, leans on Hughes to sell, with the implication that he may get some money in January for players

Stokes goes, trend continues, Hughes goes, Hughes regrets agreeing

... would be my take on that

Woody1985
10-11-2010, 12:51 AM
There could be all sorts of explanations for that comment, it doesn't mean rod forced it.

We all seen the move to Celtic happening the day he signed, if not, people were naive at best.

Stokes wanted to go, Hughes could easily been meaning try harder to convince him to stay. Depends on how you look at things really. If the stuff about a release cause is correct then the ONLY person he could have tried harder with would have been stokes.

greenlex
10-11-2010, 01:18 AM
RP gets offer, leans on Hughes to sell, with the implication that he may get some money in January for players

Stokes goes, trend continues, Hughes goes, Hughes regrets agreeing

... would be my take on that
almost my take on it.
Celtic enquire. RP asks Hughes the question. Hughes sees am opportunity to rid himself of a disruptive influence he is having trouble controlling. Hughes speaks to Daryl Duffy and a deal is struck fir one to move in and the other out.
Hughes looks at it with hindsight now and thinks maybe if I had kept him I might still be the boss.

AuldManDisguise
10-11-2010, 01:20 AM

He's a minge and a mingin' Hibernian manager.

I like him as a person, though and find him entertaining enough but wish he'd keep his heid doon for a wee while.

"It's better to stay silent and look a fool, rather than speak and remove all doubt."

I honestly think he'll struggle to get his next managerial gig.

IWasThere2016
10-11-2010, 07:14 AM
AMD - Falkirk wouldve been his last gig if oor Board were paying attention, and no looking for a cheap option! :grr:

PaulSmith
10-11-2010, 07:48 AM
So we've had Mixu saying that he wanted to drastically change things at ER but it never got off the ground and now Hughes coming out with he similar in that he wanted the players in at 9am until 4pm each day.

Great idea guys but absolutely no point in telling us this now, you had your chance and only you can tell us why you never done it whilst at the club.

hibsbollah
10-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Listened to it all, and he thought he was embarassing throughout. Take some responsibility for once:grr:

silverhibee
10-11-2010, 09:45 AM

Why does he get involved in decisions with players when it is clearly the managers job.
Petrie needs to take a step back and let the manager get on with his job at Hibs matty, if things dont start to improve on the pitch soon then the fans will get annoyed with the way Hibs are going and it wont be the manager the fans will want out the door this time, it will be Mr Petrie, there needs to be some investment in the team come January from the board, for too long the fans have had to watch as our best players are sold for good money(apart from Stokes) and the stadium and training facilities have had plenty money spent on them, yet the most important thing the fans care about is the football team, and it has been neglected for a number of years now,time for some money to be spent on the team, if the board can find money to spend on the stadium, they can find it to spend on the team in January.

JimBHibees
10-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Why does he get involved in decisions with players when it is clearly the managers job.
Petrie needs to take a step back and let the manager get on with his job at Hibs matty, if things dont start to improve on the pitch soon then the fans will get annoyed with the way Hibs are going and it wont be the manager the fans will want out the door this time, it will be Mr Petrie, there needs to be some investment in the team come January from the board, for too long the fans have had to watch as our best players are sold for good money(apart from Stokes) and the stadium and training facilities have had plenty money spent on them, yet the most important thing the fans care about is the football team, and it has been neglected for a number of years now,time for some money to be spent on the team, if the board can find money to spend on the stadium, they can find it to spend on the team in January.

Has it really been neglected though Hughes had money to bring in with guys like Stokes and Miller obviously on decent money. He has also brought in some right tosh also. Personal opinion he didnt get much out of the players he had beyond the first few months no doubt isolating guys not picked and successfully managing to split the dressing room no doubt. Think it is more to do with the managers people skills or lack of rather than not being supported. Hughes would have known the constraints with the job, apart from transfers we are regularly loss making as a club. The training centre and stadium are now built but no doubt being paid off however there is still the balance between selling and bringing in and getting the best out of the players so the manager's position is obviously a key one.

silverhibee
10-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Has it really been neglected though Hughes had money to bring in with guys like Stokes and Miller obviously on decent money. He has also brought in some right tosh also. Personal opinion he didnt get much out of the players he had beyond the first few months no doubt isolating guys not picked and successfully managing to split the dressing room no doubt. Think it is more to do with the managers people skills or lack of rather than not being supported. Hughes would have known the constraints with the job, apart from transfers we are regularly loss making as a club. The training centre and stadium are now built but no doubt being paid off however there is still the balance between selling and bringing in and getting the best out of the players so the manager's position is obviously a key one.

Imo yes, you just need to look at our squad of players to see it.

BryanV
10-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Is the money there to sustain greater investment though?

JimBHibees
10-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Imo yes, you just need to look at our squad of players to see it.

Or look at the significant number of average to poor players brought in by more than one manager, not really the same as being neglected.

Sergio sledge
10-11-2010, 11:27 AM
So we've had Mixu saying that he wanted to drastically change things at ER but it never got off the ground and now Hughes coming out with he similar in that he wanted the players in at 9am until 4pm each day.

Great idea guys but absolutely no point in telling us this now, you had your chance and only you can tell us why you never done it whilst at the club.

Not defending them at all, but perhaps this is one of the reasons Hughes had most of the squad out of contract at the end of the season. I don't know whether their contracts previously included a minimum hours clause, but perhaps Hughes felt he needed this inserted in order to be able to properly enforce his ideas? Enforcing longer working hours is always going to be difficult when it is merely suggested as a way to better yourself rather than being contractually binding.

Danderhall Hibs
10-11-2010, 11:42 AM

Don't think it's been made official but it was definitely before he signed Rankin and Nish...

matty_f
10-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Don't think it's been made official but it was definitely before he signed Rankin and Nish...

Mixu had final say on nish, can't remember who signed rankin.

Fwiw. Scott lindsay stated that they (the board) can only sign who the manager identifies. I'd post the link but I'm on my phone.

smurf
10-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Fwiw. Scott lindsay stated that they (the board) can only sign who the manager identifies. I'd post the link but I'm on my phone.

I wonder how they request that list to be made up?

How many targets per area identified etc...

Danderhall Hibs
10-11-2010, 12:09 PM

They were identified and lined up prior to Mixu coming in IIRC. JC said that Petrie tried to sign Rankin a couple of times while he was there but JC KB'd it (which backs up your point). As soon as he left he signed him.

Don't know why he was taking it upon himself to line players up and then presenting them to the manager for final say though.

H18sry
10-11-2010, 12:23 PM
almost my take on it.
Celtic enquire. RP asks Hughes the question. Hughes sees am opportunity to rid himself of a disruptive influence he is having trouble controlling. Hughes speaks to Daryl Duffy and a deal is struck fir one to move in and the other out.
Hughes looks at it with hindsight now and thinks maybe if I had kept him I might still be the boss.

Or if I hadn't gone over the top on DD and breaking his metatarsal in the process I may still have had a job :cool2:

3pm
10-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Has the interview finished yet?

Cropley10
10-11-2010, 12:43 PM
They were identified and lined up prior to Mixu coming in IIRC. JC said that Petrie tried to sign Rankin a couple of times while he was there but JC KB'd it (which backs up your point). As soon as he left he signed him.

Surely it can't be the Board who have been lining up players from perennial bottom 6 clubs for the manager to sign? :dunno:

silverhibee
10-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Or if I hadn't gone over the top on DD and breaking his metatarsal in the process I may still have had a job :cool2:

I have heard this wee story too, is this what really happened, could you imagine Yogi popping in to Rods office to say that he needs to bring in another striker for Stokes, and Rod saying i got you Duffy, and Yogi having to explain that one away.
I wouldn't blame RP if he thrown some red wine about Yogi. :greengrin

Peevemor
10-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Has the interview finished yet?

If not, he must be giving it a right good go! :agree:

IWasThere2016
10-11-2010, 12:55 PM
If not, he must be giving it a right good go! :agree:

Football people can understand what he's havering aboot :agree:

aberhibsfc
10-11-2010, 01:00 PM

Think it could happen under Petrie, but Petrie has to want that and be more focussed on the core of why the club exists rather than SAGE.

Our own worst enemy is apathy that we cannot aspire to be better because of money. Money is not the be all and end all but we can out punch most in the SPL, we have to have the right platform for this to be utilised wisely, but I feel their needs to be more attention shown towards the team.

We need both a short and long term plan. We need some decent players in asap and need to get serious about East Mains, it should be an SPL coaching Mecca with decent younsgters scouted and signed up.

silverhibee
10-11-2010, 01:05 PM

Think it could happen under Petrie, but Petrie has to want that and be more focussed on the core of why the club exists rather than SAGE.

Our own worst enemy is apathy that we cannot aspire to be better because of money. Money is not the be all and end all but we can out punch most in the SPL, we have to have the right platform for this to be utilised wisely, but I feel their needs to be more attention shown towards the team.

We need both a short and long term plan. We need some decent players in asap and need to get serious about East Mains, it should be an SPL coaching Mecca with decent younsgters scouted and signed up.

Bring back Donald Park. :agree:

H18sry
10-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Bring back Donald Park. :agree:

Donald will not leave the cushy job thats he has with the SFA :wink:

ahibby
10-11-2010, 01:19 PM
but Stokes wasn't doing anything for us anyway so was better going, the money had more value than he had playing the way he was. Watching him in the Euro game was like watching a wee boy wi nae confidence playing pros.

silverhibee
10-11-2010, 01:42 PM
but Stokes wasn't doing anything for us anyway so was better going, the money had more value than he had playing the way he was. Watching him in the Euro game was like watching a wee boy wi nae confidence playing pros.

I dont think that was Stokes problem, while at Hibs he just seemed to never bust a gut for us, yes he scored his fair share of goals for us, but he done nothing as a team player, now look at him at celtc, playing out wide, dropping deep to get the ball, christ he is even back doing his fair share off defending for them, imo Stokes treated the club badly and let the manager who signed him down as well with his off the field problems and on field ones as well.
I think Hibs were correct to get rid off Stokes, but £1.2m was never enough for him.

Kaiser1962
10-11-2010, 02:53 PM
I dont think that was Stokes problem, while at Hibs he just seemed to never bust a gut for us, yes he scored his fair share of goals for us, but he done nothing as a team player, now look at him at celtc, playing out wide, dropping deep to get the ball, christ he is even back doing his fair share off defending for them, imo Stokes treated the club badly and let the manager who signed him down as well with his off the field problems and on field ones as well.
I think Hibs were correct to get rid off Stokes, but £1.2m was never enough for him.

Absolutely correct and lets face it, its not like Hibs to not get their pound of flesh. Only lends weight to the other, numerous, theories.

Andy74
10-11-2010, 04:00 PM

DD did this by turning with no-one near him.

Hibs On Tour
11-11-2010, 05:18 AM
Apologies if its been posted elsewhere but noticed this wee snippet from an interview on the BBC website after the derby...

"If I knew four games after we let him go to Celtic that I'd be out of a job, I'd have fought harder to keep him," admitted Hughes, who expressed his desire to return to management. "But I thought the club would understand that we were losing 22 goals and we would need to batten down the hatches."

Now to me, that doesn't sound like it was Yogi's idea to bin Stokes off along the M8 but that it was landed on him from above and he reluctantly agreed with it with him thinking the board would give him leeway in return for the obvious damage to our frontline the sale was gonna make.

I know obviously that its hardly the case that Yogi getting the heave-ho was purely down the Stokes leaving [as the 2nd half of last season wisnae a pretty thing to endure] but its interesting nontheless. For me, RP should be steering well clear of telling the manager who should be here and who should not unless there are exceptional circumstances surrounding things. I know its not that clear-cut in the real world also and I also know there were issues with Stokes in particular but I still think ultimately it should be the managers call. Or is it just me?...

FWIW decent interview from Yogi - can't disagree with much of that. :agree:

bighairyfaeleith
11-11-2010, 05:21 AM
Sounds to me like he didn't argue against the sale:confused:

greenlex
11-11-2010, 05:22 AM
Ultimately it is/was the managers call.

Hibs On Tour
11-11-2010, 05:34 AM
Gonnae re-read it?

I'm not saying he disagreed and he was sold over his head. I'm saying it sounds like it wasn't his idea, he didn't particularly like it but went along with it on the assumption that he'd get some leeway due to the goals going out of the team.

"If I knew four games after we let him go to Celtic that I'd be out of a job, I'd have fought harder to keep him,"

Sounds to me like he didn't want to let him go but was convinced it was in the greater good. I think that RP telling the manager that another club is interested in a player is as far as his involvement in that should be - he shouldn't be trying to convince the manager to sell that player. Obviously, if the manager wants shot of the player RP then has to get the best deal but point I am making [badly it seems :greengrin] is that it sounds like Yogi has had to have been convinced to sell - otherwise he wouldn't have had to 'fight to keep him' at all would he?

greenlex
11-11-2010, 05:42 AM
Sorry I can't link to the thread but currently bottom of page two read the thread Hughes on radio Scotland or whatever it was called. It was discussed there and several suggestions on there are all quite feesible.

Hibs On Tour
11-11-2010, 05:43 AM
Cool. Hadn't noticed that thread. Will check it out. Thanks!

GGTTH :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
11-11-2010, 06:05 AM
Gonnae re-read it?

I'm not saying he disagreed and he was sold over his head. I'm saying it sounds like it wasn't his idea, he didn't particularly like it but went along with it on the assumption that he'd get some leeway due to the goals going out of the team.

"If I knew four games after we let him go to Celtic that I'd be out of a job, I'd have fought harder to keep him,"

Sounds to me like he didn't want to let him go but was convinced it was in the greater good. I think that RP telling the manager that another club is interested in a player is as far as his involvement in that should be - he shouldn't be trying to convince the manager to sell that player. Obviously, if the manager wants shot of the player RP then has to get the best deal but point I am making [badly it seems :greengrin] is that it sounds like Yogi has had to have been convinced to sell - otherwise he wouldn't have had to 'fight to keep him' at all would he?

Sorry but if yogi wanted him then he should have fought for him, the fact that he didn't gives Petrie the green light to sell. The bottom line is yogi approved the sale, his new signing duffy got injured and so it didn't work out, thats life lets move on.

Lucius Apuleius
11-11-2010, 06:32 AM
Maybe meant he should have fought harder to convince Stokes not to leave?

s.a.m
11-11-2010, 06:39 AM
Maybe meant he should have fought harder to convince Stokes not to leave?

That was my reaction when I heard the comment.